Whatever will we do?

Alfarinn set down the bags just to the side of the entrance, barely having time to scoop them up before Thaddeus pulled him towards the apartment. He still had not been able to erase the grin from his face at his companion's haste. Feeling an equal excitement at the thought of finally have a few moments of privacy with the Anantya.

Now that they were out of the public eye once more, He leaned against the door and regarded his companion with a smirk.

"So here we are two people, alone in an apartment, at night, eternally in the prime of our lives... hmm He paused, hand rubbing his chin thoughtfully, eyes glinting with mischief.

"How about a nice game of chess?"

Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus, ever practical minded, made a mental note to invest in a chess set before turning to his companion and raising an eyebrow. He peeled off his gloves with deliberate slowness and smiled.

Hmm, I had a different plan in mind. He stepped closer to the Evenhet, still wearing a slight smirk, and threw his gloves carelessly onto the bar without taking his eyes off him. It involves he planted his hands on the door, on either side of Alfarinn kissing you he leaned forward and brushed his lips gently on the other man's neck, then pulled away slightly, lowering his voice to just above a whisper here. And here. And I couldn't neglect this spot right...here.

In such a way Thaddeus made a slow, teasing path down Alfarinn's neck, across his collarbone, and up the other side. He stopped just a hair below the other man's ear, and whispered.

But chess is alright too I suppose.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Thaddeus's hands with interest. Musing that the simple act of taking off those gloves, ever present when the man was out in public, was quite possibly as erotic in its own way as a dancer slowly divesting herself of veils.

He could not help but grin at the teasing kisses that played lightly across his skin sending tiny shivers of pleasure up his spine. There was never a doubt in his mind that Thaddeus could be playful and he was just about remark on enjoying that very thing when that warm breath reached just below his ear. Alfarinn slumped against the door with an incoherent murmur of pleasure, his knees suddenly far too unstable to be trusted with the task of holding him up.

Finally he reached an arm around his companion and pulled him tightly to him, planting a firm kiss on Thaddeus's neck before finding his voice once more.

"I may have to recant my earlier statement. That was most unkind."

He paused to regard the man with hungry eyes.

"Do it again."
Thaddeus felt his chest hitch in a sharp intake of breath as Alfarinn pulled him close and kissed his neck, his own hands moving from the door to the other man's shoulders to keep his balance as the two men sank into each other, dropping down the door a few inches. He heard Alfarinn mutter enough to encourage him, then found himself caught in the other man's smoldering look.

'Do it again.'

He felt his eyes widen at that invitation, spoken with such unveiled desire. For a moment he was locked in that gaze before turning his attention to the other man's neck once more, starting near the shoulder and working his way up with agonizingly slow and soft kisses to just an inch below the place he knew Alfarinn wanted his mouth to be. There he paused, breathing softly, warmly against his cool skin.

You mean this?

With that he drew a slow, warm line up to Alfarinn's ear with his tongue, letting one hand slide into the Evenhet's hair at the same time. He stroked the other man's hair and nibbled gently at his ear, occasionally dipping down to taste the cool skin of his neck, shivering with the longing to kiss every inch of him this exact way.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"Thaddeus..."

Alfarinn whispered his name, not sure what the intent was or even if there was anything he wanted to say. If there had been it was lost is those warm kisses on his neck.

Then Thaddeus reached his ear, Alfarinn shuddered with pleasure at the sensation, his eyes drifting shut as he tilted his head to the side, caught up in simply feeling those lips on his skin. The man was trying to drive him insane.

Emotions washed over him, his desire and Thaddeus's own, powerful and intoxicating. Alfarinn's hands slid down to the blonde's hips, fingers tightening and releasing absently with each tantalizing kiss.

There had been a question, he was pretty sure his reaction answered it but he found his voice eventually.

"Yes...that."
Remember this. The curve of his neck. The taste of his skin. The way he says your name. His hands on your hips. Remember this. And this. And this.

Thaddeus savored each kiss, each touch, each sound, as though impending unawareness would drive the memories away; fighting off the oblivion that wanted to consume him, he drew out this moment out like a map in his mind, sealing it in his thoughts somewhere above the haze of passion. It was, for whatever reason, urgently important to him not to forget, and Thaddeus was ever aware, however dimly at the moment, that there was not much time.

Thaddeus's cheek felt increasingly hot as it brushed against Alfarinn's skin, and that realization made him aware of the rather excessive amount of clothing between them. Wanting to get closer to that cool skin, he pulled his hand away from the other man's shoulder and moved to the buttons of his jacket, pulling rather more roughly than he really needed to; somewhere far away a button clattered on the tile floor of the foyer. Still, he managed the other three without incident, even distracted as he was with ravishing the other man's neck at the same time. The jacket unbuttoned, he moved his kisses up to Alfarinn's jaw line and finally found his lips once again, kissing deep and hungry. Reluctantly, he pulled his hand away from the Evenhet's hair to shrug off the jacket.

He mentally catalogued the sound it made when it crashed heavily to the floor, weighted by the items in his pocket.

He wrapped one arm around Alfarinn's neck, tightly, letting the other hand find its place in his hair. Pressed against the other man, free of the jacket, he could feel the coolness of the Evenhet's skin through the fabric of their shirts.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn leaned his head back until it touched the wood behind him, feeling Thaddeus kiss him and push against him made it impossible to reason. His eyes closed, Alfarinn could feel himself spiraling down into the unthinking emotions of passion and need. And he wanted to go there, so very badly.

To stop thinking about the consequences and to simply enjoy the warm body brushing his own in maddeningly tantalizing touches blunted only by the clothing between them, would be heaven on earth. The body belonged to a soul,however, and that was infinitely more important, he had to drag himself up from the whirlpool of sensations threatening to drown him. Alfarinn knew that he would go under willingly when he was sure that it was truly wanted.

He heard the jacket slid to the floor and somewhere his mind registered that he was still leaning against the front door. Thaddeus pressed against him, making it difficult to think of anything at all. He did come to the conclusion that they could be more comfortable than they were. He could then know just where it was they stood.

He kissed Thaddeus tenderly once more before pushing against the door to slowly right himself from his slouched position, one arm still wrapped around the blonde, as if he were afraid to let him go. Truth be known, Alfarinn was scared. This moment might not come again if he broke that contact and started speaking,but he had to.

He took Thaddeus by the hand and led him back into the bedroom, silently. Once there, he sat on the bed and brought the Anantya close once more,framed on either side by his long legs. Reaching up a hand to caress a well defined cheekbone, he said.

"We do not have to do anything more than we've done already. I simply felt we'd be more comfortable in here"

Bringing the Anantya close for a kiss, Alfarinn lingered on the warm lips, feeling the softness and pressure of them underneath his own.

"Please tell me now, so that I do not do anything either of us will regret. Much as I want you. I don't want to hurt you."

((OOCermission granted to move Thaddeus))
You won't hurt me.

Thaddeus rested his cheek against Alfarinn's chest and put his arms firmly around the other man, ordering his hands to be still and his mind to clear. Things had gone from playful to serious quickly, though Thaddeus took no issue with that. From the way Alfarinn quietly led him to the bedroom, from that tender kiss and his soft tone of voice, Thaddeus gathered the Evenhet felt the intensity of the situation as well.

And now Alfarinn needed the words. Thaddeus was at least half way sure that if he simply said 'yes, God, yes,' as he wanted very much to do, that could be the end of it. He felt just a little frustrated with himself for his own inability to keep things simple. But such feelings served little purpose; he was who he was, and Alfarinn had proven to be accepting of that.

I know...this has all happened so quickly, and I don't want you to think I've made this choice lightly because of that. I suppose you know by now that I take this seriously, that to me this is more than a fun way to kill a free evening. This is an intimacy I have shared with very...very few people.

He gripped Alfarinn more tightly, more as an act of will than anything else; his hands were starting to tremble again and he rather wished his body would just for one blessed moment stay with his mind.

I know what I want, and I've made my choice. I want to share this with you. I just...needed you to understand what this means to me.

Thaddeus loosened his grip on Alfarinn and sat back to regard him thoughtfully for a moment before continuing. Saying such things was a risk, he knew; he had no wish to frighten the Evenhet away. He took the other man's hand in his, looking down at the two sets of long elegant fingers intertwined before meeting Alfarinn's eyes once more.

I am ready.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked down at the fingers laced through his own. Thaddeus was correct, this was going so quickly, it was almost frightening. Though he believed it was more that it felt too right that made him concerned. Most of the time his mind was blissfully free of doubts about the two of them and when you consider all the obstacles they were likely to encounter, it would give anyone pause that they found themselves so far beyond wanting to turn back that the beginning of this journey wasn't even in sight anymore.

When had it gone from simple admiration for the Anantya's resolve and intelligence, to pride in his character, to affection, to desire, to this devotion?

"Thaddeus, I know it has moved so quickly, too quickly." He smiled ruefully. "I wish we could spend days, months doing nothing but getting to know each other better. I've never ignored my feelings, and this feels too right to dismiss or try to change by slowing it down or pushing it along."

Alfarinn sighed and looked up at his companion.

"I know you've been hurt beyond the ability of words to express. I know its difficult to trust in fate like that to happen again and for you to be given a chance to be happy. I know some of your past. It is why we are here. You need to know some of mine.

"I've loved before, I've made a child only to have him die in my arms... betrayed by a friend."

He looked down at their hands again so reassuringly entwined.

"I... felt him die, Thaddeus, the connection we shared. I felt it yanked away from me by death while he lay bleeding, beyond consciousness, not even my blood could wake him. And... Alfarinn took a shaky breath and continued softly, needing to confess the rest of the story he had started to tell. "And, I know what its like to break that bond, purposefully, willfully. It was the most horrible thing I've ever done in my existence. His murderer was my friend, an trusted ally, a brother. I never thought that tie would come to this but it did. I killed him and felt him die as well. The link between us severed by my own hand. And then..."

He laughed darkly. A fear welled up inside him, he'd rushed this story in order to have the courage to tell it before he started contemplating what it might cost him, but what must Thaddeus think of all this? Would he lose him? It would be better for him to know now. Let there be nothing hidden.

"The kind and gentle empath went on a drinking binge the likes of which the priests of Bacchus have never seen in an effort to shut it all out. The memories, the feelings, the connections. I didn't want to be this way any more. I didn't want to feel my own feelings much less everyone else's. Sometimes I am surprised that I lived. I would have gladly died. Megan was the strong one then, She forced me to live. She needed me to live and for her, I lived. Until I had purpose again. Evenhet. An ideal that I could live for, not just a person but a goal to reach for, a destiny."

He sighed and looked up at Thaddeus. "And this too, I feel is a part of that. Such assurance doesn't come lightly for me. I don't offer myself very often. I know what can come of it. I won't say that I haven't been casual in my acquaintances. I have. They are a defense against caring. Moving quickly and moving on, desire not affection."

"This is different and I hope you understand that. It is why I was willing to wait as long as it took for you."
Thaddeus kept his hand clasped around Alfarinn's throughout his entire telling. He realized, by the end, that the grip was probably hurting the Evenhet; his knuckles were white. He relinquished it, and leaned back against the bed post.

Come here.

He did not wait for Alfarinn to move of his own accord, pulling the other man to him instead. He let his hand run up and down the other man's arm as he stared blankly at the wall of the bedroom.

There were quite a few thoughts passing through his mind as he held the Evenhet close. A few he wasn't exactly proud of; most prominently among those being the desire to hit something in frustration. He had silently begged for time, but underneath that, always just below that thought, was another prayer he was certain would fall on the deaf ears of Fate or whatever force might be running the show.

Take me this time.

He had known that foolish wish was impossible, that he was in some way destined to lose everything he loved for eternity, that he would always be safe and those he loved would always pay the price for simply knowing him. But to find that he could cause as much devastation by dying as he did by living filled him with a dull rage at the universe.

I cannot do this to him. I cannot bear to see him hurt, and I cannot bear to hurt him by dying. Am I destined to be alone, and if so why would Fate place me with Alfarinn on this path? To bring me joy before making me suffer?

This has to end.

I am -not- letting you go.

Take that, Fate, you feckless thug. I am ending this.

It took him a moment to realize he had spoken out loud, forcefully even, and that his hand had stopped stroking the Evenhet's arm and was instead once again gripping it so tightly that his fingers nearly disappeared in the flesh.

God, can you stop hurting him for one minute? Is that the only thing you know how to do, is to hurt people you love?

He released him, kissed the top of Alfarinn's head, and spoke again, more quietly and gently.

I am not letting you go.

He absently rubbed at his cheek and was mildly alarmed when his hand did not come away dry. When he spoke his voice sounded rough and raw in his ears.

I have always admired your capacity to be so open to other people, myself included, when you have a deeper insight of them than anyone. That you came by this ability, this amazing generosity of the heart, that you held onto that part of yourself in spite of walking a path of such terrible darkness speaks highly of you.

He leaned his head back against the bedpost and swallowed hard.

When Mai first handed me the ring, I thought I had found something to die for. I thought I had found my destiny, and the time after I fulfilled it was endless black in my mind that I could not escape. I think, now, that I can escape that. And I -need- you, Alfarinn, I need you to stay with me in this, this doesn't -work- without you. I need your help in settling this old score, not to end my life but to begin it anew. With you. My love.

He pulled Alfarinn tightly to him, mindful now not to crush him in spite of the fact that the other man had a head and two stone on him. There was a rush of adrenaline flowing through his veins at the thought of anyone, Fate or otherwise, daring to harm them now, but tenderness was slowly overwhelming that as he held the man he loved. Going through the entire spectrum of emotions in one night, when for the better part of his existence he made every effort to feel nothing at all, was more than a little draining, and for the moment he wanted only to keep Alfarinn close to him. To bring him home.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn sighed, relieved that Thaddeus had not been appalled by what he had said. The grip on his arm was an assurance and he hardly felt any pain associated with the fierce grip. He leaned against the blonde content to stay there quietly. Perhaps all the talking had killed the mood, he wasn't sure but it all needed to be said. He'd been hiding that part from the Anantya because he admired him. That people in his past got to see him that way had always filled him with shame. Alfarinn never wanted Thaddeus to see him like that, to believe it was even possible, but he couldn't lie to him either.

He looked up and smiled, pulling Thaddeus as close to him as the bed would allow.

" I'm not letting you go either. Not this time. We will get through this, both of us, together."

He put his head back down on the Anantya's chest. Feeling comforted by the man's resolve to have him in his life. They had a lot of difficulties to go through, neither of them seemed deluded into believing otherwise but for him one of the worst parts were over and Thaddeus was still here.

Realizing they had gotten very serious all the sudden, he smiled from his resting place.

"Won't the people at the manor be surprised to see me following you around."
Alfarinn's reassurances seemed to bring Thaddeus out of his own thoughts and into the present. That the other man seemed equally convicted eased his mind and brought him some peace.

The mental image of the tall Norse man following Thaddeus about the Manor was enough to elicit a chuckle. Surprise probably wouldn't come close to covering the Anantya reaction on many levels, though he suspected with some amusement that most would be more shocked that Thaddeus had brought home someone special at all than that he was an Evenhet. Though that fact would certainly cause a stir as well. Still, the idea of Alfarinn coming to the Manor, even if only for a short while, was a pleasant one. Perhaps some day.

For the moment, Thaddeus had the comforting weight of Alfarinn's head on his chest, his body pressed close to him. He gently pushed the other man's hair back, away from his face, taking a moment to trace the outline of his cheekbone and down the line of his jaw, then leaned back again, stroking his hair with his fingers and smiling softly as he spoke.

As surprised as your Evenhets would be at the sight of me, I would imagine. That's another thing I suppose we'll just have to take as it comes. I don't see how this can be a secret indefinitely. At the moment, though, I'm rather enjoying having this to ourselves.

He leaned down and kissed Alfarinn softly on the temple, then resumed stroking his hair. The conversation had been nothing if not intense, and it was pleasant to simply touch and reassure each other for a time.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and looked up at Thaddeus resting his chin on the man's chest. He doubted anyone at Evenhet's residence would take notice of him walking in with the blonde. There were so many diverse people amongst the clan that someone who appeared conservative was no more out of place than someone more outlandish.

"Now see you Anantya have the wrong impression of us. We aren't all terribly modern. There are those that even dislike it. A few that even refuse to stay in the Towers with its modern steel and glass. You would not be so out of place as you think. You dress well and that would fit in perfectly fine. The people at Meridian might even take some hope in it as a sign that perhaps the young teenager has found some responsible friends." He winked at Thaddeus before continuing.

"I'm rather happy to be here myself." He looked around the room. It was small and still not fully furnished but getting there. Still a far cry from what they were both used to but he couldn't be happier with the arrangement.

Alfarinn reluctantly let Thaddeus go long enough to stand and remove his shoes, then he scooted back on the bed and leaned against the headboard.

"Come get comfortable."
I think the fact that you are Evenhet, along with being in my company, would draw attention far more than your appearance. We do, after all, have our own share of eccentrics. Thaddeus shot Alfarinn a grin to show he meant the comment lightly.

And your clan may take me for a 'good influence' judging by appearances, but I imagine once they find out the sort of trouble I get you into, they would think differently.

Thaddeus kicked off his shoes and aligned them with the edge of the bed, then undid the top button of his shirt, somewhat more carefully than he had undone his jacket earlier. As he did, his fingers caught the red cord holding the jade turtle; he would want to tell Alfarinn that story as well, but it could wait.

He smiled easily at the Evenhet leaning against his headboard, his long legs managing stretched across the bed. Thaddeus could think of any number of ways he would be more comfortable with this man in his bed, and finally settled on sliding up next to him and leaning on the headboard as well, letting his hand cover Alfarinn's.

And yes. I am happy here too; while the building leaves something to be desired, the company more than makes up for it.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"The company is quite nice."

Thinking back on the earlier statements, Alfarinn looked over at Thaddeus and arched an eyebrow.

"I understand the Evenhet part but what would be so odd about being in your company? Do I look so different? I could dress up, I suppose. Wouldn't want you to be embarrassed to bring me home to meet the family."

He chuckled softly knowing quite well that he'd cause a stir, He wasn't unknown to the Anantya Elders after all. They all knew him on sight.

Alfarinn shrugged at the other statement.

"I get into enough trouble that they'd hardly blame you for anything that I was likely involved in."

Evenhet was quite used to Alfarinn being the source of upheaval. He wasn't exactly the calm and conservative example of the clan. Megan held that distinction, not him. Alfarinn was seen as the risk taker and the one who rushed in where only fools dared to tread. He'd have to be careful here, he didn't want to get Thaddeus into trouble. It was one thing to put his own life in danger but he'd not risk his companion.
Thaddeus spoke quietly but adamantly, looking sincerely at Alfarinn.

I rather like the way you dress. Then again...you can't really lose. And you don't embarrass me. Thaddeus chuckled softly. I would simply -never- hear the end of it, though, if I brought home "someone special"Â? to meet the family. I can just see Sorin chasing us around with his ridiculous video camera and adding dramatic voiceovers to every day occurrences.

And he could see it, or at least he almost could; Sorin with his video camera, Chryseis's dogs jumping up and resting their paws on Alfarinn's chest, the two of them stealing a kiss in the library before anyone could catch them...

The thought made him nearly sentimental.

Some day, though. The teasing would be good natured enough, but I imagine you know there are more serious complications to deal with.

And you, a trouble maker? Thaddeus feigned shock. Oh dear, I've fallen in with the Evenhet bad boy! You're going to steal my heart and my money and leave me with only my looks to get by. Whatever shall I do?

Thaddeus put a hand to his forehead dramatically before breaking into a smile.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Thaddeus's compliment and chuckled at the idea of Sorin with a video camera. Who knew the old stiff had it in him to move forward with the times? Probably learned how to use it in order to immortalize some of those horribly long monologues he made the Order of the Night sit through. " O that this too too sullied flesh would melt, Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew, Or that the Everlasting had not fixed His canon 'gainst self slaughter." Alfarinn could remember sleeping through them quite well, or would have if Emma hadn't been jabbing him in the ribs.

" So you would be teased for actually dating. Well... we'd have to make sure there was something interesting to be recorded."

Alfarinn sighed. "Yes, there are. In this situation and afterwards. You didn't pick just any Evenhet, after all, Nor will my clan be happy to find me spending time with not only an Anantya but one from the Order of the Night at that."

Alfarinn smirked at Thaddeus's display of dismay, quite the sense of humor hidden in all the polite etiquette.

"I am afraid you might have fallen for the wrong Evenhet. However,I think I'll just steal all of you. I hope you don't mind terribly much. Though should I leave with you with just your looks you'd do perfectly well."

((OOC quote is from Hamlet, Act I, Scene ii. ))
Thaddeus shook his head, laughing now in spite of the seriousness of their discussion.

So Anantya will think you a modern scoundrel come to steal me away, and Evenhet will think me a young social climber intent on gleaning all your secrets. Perfect, let us go tell them now! Be sure to mention the illicit video tapes and kidnapping plots; we seem to be brewing up quite a scandal here.

Still trying to keep discussion light, simply because it felt so good to simply talk and laugh with Alfarinn, Thaddeus did his best not to brood over the larger problem at hand. There was a part of him that couldn't believe his own daring; the fact that he was in the company of not only an Evenhet, but an Evenhet -Elder-, was suddenly difficult to wrap his mind around. Alfarinn was simply so...understated about his work, and never made a show of throwing around his status. Thaddeus reflected that this was probably a sign that he fit his position well; in his experience, the louder someone declared their own importance, the less important they really were.

It really -was- quite scandalous, though, when Thaddeus really looked at the situation on the face of it. Odd how different the appearances were from the reality.

He squeezed Alfarinn's hand tightly and smiled in a preoccupied sort of way. It was pleasant to be able to laugh about even a rather grave concern, but he still felt the need to consider the matter with more care.

We'll need to decide, at some point, exactly how we want this to come out. It -will- come out, and I think we need to do our best to control how that happens. I think we also need to realize that, good though our intentions may be, one clan or the other may find us out before we had planned.

Thaddeus rolled over onto his side, propping himself up on one elbow to regard the Evenhet.

We need to be prepared for that possibility. He paused, thoughtful. I think we have good reasons to stay discreet for the time being; I believe our search will fail if Clan politics get involved. I suppose I would simply have to ask my Clan to trust my judgment should they question it.

I am not fond of the idea of actively deceiving my Clan; discretion and timing are important, but so is this.

He reached out and laced his fingers through the Evenhet's, taking a moment to study that image before looking back up at Alfarinn.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn sighed and looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully, was there a good way to tell both clans? He really didn't think so. Still there would be more trouble if they kept it a secret long term or tried, it would come out eventually and if they weren't ready for it all kinds of trouble could result.

He moved down to lay on the bed and turned his head to look at Thaddeus.

" The best solution is to be as open about it as possible. Odd as that sounds, it can't be as useful a secret if we're open about it. People might believe there is nothing dishonest going on then. It would mean both our clans would distrust us where the other clan is concerned, we'd have personal interests with the 'enemy' so to speak. That hurts both our positions. I also would not put it past some people to wish to use our relationship as a controlling means."

Alfarinn looked down at the hand still held in his own.

"I am more than willing to tell Megan about you. The rest of Evenhet will simply have to trust me. I am sure Megan will, despite any disapproval she might feel about the idea."

" Anantya is going to be the bigger problem, I think."

He smiled at Thaddeus and shrugged.

"I'm sorry, perhaps my opinion is biased but I do know that outside relations aren't exactly welcomed. Still it isn't totally unheard of. Mai seems to approve so that will help. I can tell you now that Sorin will -not- approve or understand." Unless there was some hidden agenda in it for him, Alfarinn thought bitterly but he'd be willing to bet the man would do everything in his power to make this decision hell for Thaddeus. "That leaves Morrigan and I really can't say what her opinion might be. "

"What do you think? Is there a time that you believe would be best? I am not sure we can wait much longer, if the presence of Anantya in the House of Pain is any indication."
Thaddeus frowned thoughtfully.

You are right; Sorin will not approve. There are clearly hard feelings on both sides when it comes to Evenhet. However, it is my belief that Sorin puts his duties ahead of personal feelings; I believe that for my sake he would look for the advantages in this situation rather than simply trying to put an end to it. That will lead to its own set of complications, I imagine, but manageable ones as opposed to dealing with a personal vendetta. In time, I think he may even come to understand; Sorin and I are friends, and while this may push the boundaries of our friendship for a time, I do not think it will break it.

Thaddeus reached out and smoothed Alfarinn's hair away from his face. He wondered when he became so comfortable; touching Alfarinn was nearly instinctive, as though it were the most natural thing in the world.

Morrigan...I cannot say for certain. I will say, though, that she is ultimately a fair woman and I trust her, and I believe that trust is returned.

There will be much to contend with, though, when I tell Anantya; I have no illusions about that. With time I believe this will come together, once the shock wears off and they have a chance to see that I am serious about this. Trust will have to grow slowly, I think.

That does, however, mean that telling them now is sure to slow down our current mission, something I am not willing to do. My Clan believes I am taking some time off; I think it is safest to use that time to progress our search as much as possible. I did not specify a time when I would return, though I imagine they will begin to ask questions in the next couple of weeks.

I imagine we can keep this quiet for that long at least. Also, if we have made good progress toward our goal, I do not believe Anantya will prevent us from seeing it through.

Thaddeus raised an eyebrow at Alfarinn, smiling.

What do you think? Mind keeping me to yourself for a fortnight?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn knew there was no use arguing his opinion of Sorin with Thaddeus. Time would tell the answer to that question. He was not overly concerned about the man, perhaps he should be but he could never think of him as anything more than a replacement.. a backup only in position because neither Emma or himself were around. Not that the man wasn't talented, Alfarinn did not hate him enough to be blind to his abilities. Sorin just skulked too much, worked too little and seemed more interested in laying blame for why things did not work out for him instead of causing them to happen for himself. Perhaps if the man took some initiative once and a while Alfarinn would have a little more respect.

It was obvious though that Thaddeus only believed the best of him. Sorin seems to have done at least -that- acting job well. He was mildly curious how the brooding, moody man portrayed himself to his fellow order members now that he was in charge. Not worth dwelling over, if Thaddeus thought he'd be no issue then perhaps he was right, though Alfarinn couldn't help but feel a forboding about the situation.

He broke himself out of his reverie when a hand reached over and and pushed his hair aside. That touch was so gentle and comforting, Alfarinn couldn't help but smile. Turning over, he focused on the rest of the conversation.

He pretended to ponder Thaddeus's question.

"I suppose I could but what will I do with you all that time? I'm notorious for getting into trouble if left to my own devices."