Eliminating the Im-paws-ible (private)

A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen. ~Edward de Bono

Mara looked around her apartment with something approaching satisfaction, although in truth she was highly unsatisfied. She had revised her plans several times already, making last minute changes and fixing minute little details that probably didn't matter but to her seemed like glaring problems.

She was more than aware of the fact that it was mostly nerves speaking. She had never, since buying this building, invited anyone but Amir to visit. She'd never wanted anyone that close. But it was Valentine's Day and she was looking forward to celebrating it. Still, what would Jin think?

This was hardly a gift; if she looked at her motives too closely she might see that it was somewhat selfish of her to have planned like this. Should she have arranged for something more formal? Dinner out? A party? Jin was so much more outgoing than she; maybe this wasn't his idea of fun at all.

Mara had wanted a night alone with him though, something that was just for them to share. She had done her best to mingle things they both enjoyed. Her gifts to him were small ones; the key to her cellar doors, which she realized he didn't need, yes, but she wanted to give to him; the dinner she'd worked to create which neither of them required but she'd thought would be enjoyable to share; the invitation to stay the day most of all, which she wasn't sure he'd want to do but Mara had fallen asleep curled up next to Jin several times now and she loved the feeling.

She wanted to feel that here, in her place, so that when he was gone perhaps a ghost of him would remain and she would always feel him there.

She looked around the dimly-lit area. Mara had very few lights in her apartment; there were, instead, a number of LED 'candles' here and there adding light where it was needed. Tonight, she'd hung three or four of her little glass mobiles from the ceiling, a blue LED light topping each so that the glass reflected the light and scattered colored prisms all over the ceiling like starlight. She didn't know if she'd keep them up but she liked the effect.

She had checked the time repeatedly; it had been a few hours since setting her trail in place. She didn't think Jin would have trouble finding her so he should be there soon. Dinner was ready; it was the sort of thing that would keep. Both that and dessert had been successful with some cook books and a few days' practice. It was too late to change any plans now. Hopefully she'd gotten at least some of the details right.

Mara turned down the music (a CD of classical acoustic guitar) so she could listen for noise downstairs. With any luck Jin would be there soon.

Jin 13 years ago
"Mara?" Jin called as he made it up the stairs.

Entering the cellar had revealed a work space that had been altered to suit his clan mate's skill at working with blown glass. He noted the various appliances and devices and wondered if she would let him watch her work some time in the future.

Music and light filtered down into the stairwell from the room upstairs and Jin went towards the inviting illumination.

"Help..."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara had been listening for Jin's arrival but her heart still jumped a bit when she heard it, followed by his voice in the stairwell. She was already on her way out the door and down the stairs when she heard the corresponding plea for help.

She met him halfway down the stairs, noting that while he didn't seem to be in danger of dropping anything his hands were certainly full. She smiled at him and hurried to relieve him of several of the items she'd sent him after.

Before turning to head back up the stairs Mara bent to kiss Jin softly on the cheek.
"You made it," she said with a little grin. "I hope the trail didn't bore you."

She knew Jin was capable of solving far more complex mysteries, but tonight's had been all in fun. Padding back up to the second story of the building Mara nudged the door open and stepped through. She looked around while Jin entered behind her and said, "This is it."

It wasn't a large area but this was where Mara went when she wanted to be at home.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin grinned at her pronouncement of the evident. "Yes, I did." He tilted his head and leaned towards her to accept her light kiss on the cheek. "Not at all. This was a lot of fun."

He followed her into the upstairs and looked around. The area was small but neat, everything in its place. Jin could see all the various personal touches that said something about the owner. He was sure that he would find all sorts of interesting things in the little area. This was obviously a place Mara visited often. It had the comfortable feel of a place that had collected items over time instead of somewhere that was furnished quickly with things that looked nice but had little personal value. He was touched that she trusted him enough to invite him here. Jin suspected that few people were given such a privilege.

Gazing upward, he smiled.
"Oooh I love the lights." The blue was the wonderful shade of cobalt that was so fascinating in glass, deep yet wonderfully rich and clear. These made dancing paler echoes on the ceiling and walls.

Gesturing with his boxes, he said. "Where would you like me to place these?"
Mara 13 years ago
"I'm glad," Mara said, her smile not diminishing. She watched Jin as he glanced around, wondering briefly what his impression of the space was.

As his dark eyes were drawn to the dancing lights across the walls and ceiling Mara laughed softly.
"I'd hoped you would."

She had tried to arrange as many things as possible to suit Jin's liking, amused and pleased by the fact that they suited hers too. Mara enjoyed the fact that they had a good deal in common.

At his question Mara looked around. She didn't have much in the way of furniture, for she didn't entertain often. The bartop in the kitchen would soon be full, but there were three places in the living area that would suffice.
"Either the chaise or the chair, maybe?"

She looked at the prettily-wrapped boxes with curiosity, her artist's eye immediately drawn to the watercolor painting on the outside of each, in different patterns. Silver ribbon adorned them, formed into bows for decoration. Mara tilted her head and glanced at Jin.

"Did you paint those?"

She didn't know what else Jin did in his free time aside from find trouble with mischievous maus. The painting was captivating and yet not surprising. Jin seemed the kind of person to both require and enjoy such an outlet, with the depth of sensitivity and emotion Mara thought necessary to really excel.

She brightened at the thought of him doing so at the same time as she worried that perhaps she should have gotten him something a little more tangible, herself. Not having done Valentine's Day before, there was plenty of opportunity for her to get it wrong.

However, she supposed if they enjoyed their night, they were doing it right.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin smiled and set the boxes down on the chaise as she suggested. He looked down at them and then back at her, with a shrug. "Yes." Each box had a different painting. The larger one displayed a snowy forest and hidden within the scene was a jackal and a little stoat. The more slender box had flowers and star burst designs painted on it.

Once his hands were free of items, he collected Mara into his arms, hugging her to his chest and looking down in her silvery eyes.
"That, was very clever of you." He leaned forward and gave her a gentle lingering kiss. Pulling back he said. "I enjoyed it very much. I don't think I've ever been more happy to solve a mystery." He nuzzled her neck, smiling against it. "Of course they rarely have such good rewards."

He could easily get carried away with her this close. Jin stepped back, his exuberant good mood showing in the bounce in his step, his happy grin and the sparkle of good humor in his eyes.

"Now what would you like me to help with?"

((OOC: I think I woke up to tigger and a not a tiger! ))
Mara 13 years ago
Mara peered at the decorated wrappings on the boxes as Jin placed them carefully on the chase. "They're gorgeous," she observed. She'd have to take a closer look later though, as she was quickly gathered into Jin's arms and kissed with tantalizing sweetness.

Mara pressed against him, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing close as he nuzzled her neck. The breath that she had been going to use to speak with caught in her throat and she let it out in a soft sigh of contentment which turned to displeasure as Jin moved away. She shook her head at herself and returned Jin's smile, excited that he seemed so upbeat.

She looked around and spotted the cooler he'd brought along.
"Well, we can have dinner before the movie or dinner during the movie. It will work either way," she said. "It's all ready, it's just a matter of setting everything up."

Mara led Jin the short distance around the little bar top into the small kitchen, where she'd already prepped a good deal of it. With the help of not one but three cook books, she'd made a savory stock as close in taste to the ones she could remember eating in China over the centuries. She had always loved hot pots and it seemed like a fun dinner to share, so she'd done her best with this one.

The stock was simmering in an electric cooker plugged in on the counter next to the stove. It was made from a chicken base and had been seasoned with garlic, onions, and a variety of Chinese herbs and spices. From the refrigerator Mara removed a tray of vegetables. In small quantities she'd gotten bok choy, bean sprouts, mushrooms, shallots, daikon radish, and tofu.

In the cooler Jin had brought the chef at the Piazza's restaurant had been kind enough to prepare very thin slices of tuna, beef, and duck as well as an assortment of shellfish. With that ready and an assortment of dipping sauces to flavor with, they simply had to choose where to eat and set it all up.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin blushed and smiled at her, happy that she liked the paper. He hoped that she liked what was inside even better. His choices were not exactly conventional in the traditional sense of the day. At least not all of them, in fact he was a little worried she might not like one of them at all.

He followed her into the kitchen and peered over into the pots as she checked on the food. It seemed wonderful and familiar. Jin was pleased that she made something for him especially even though any food would have been enjoyed.

"It smells delicious."

Jin waited until she was done checking on the various parts of the meal. Then he asked. "So, did you want to open any of these things now? The timing is up to you."

But he was anxious to see whether she liked them. He would enjoy watching her open them, it was like a small present to himself, assuming they made her happy.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara suffered a minor internal battle. Jin was offering to let her satisfy her curiosity right away, which was very appealing. But wouldn't propriety state they eat beforehand?

She nibbled at her lower lip for a moment, turning to Jin with a little smile finally.
"Maybe now," she suggested, half in question.

Dinner would keep; this particular meal was all served raw anyway. The stock would bet set between them and they would immerse each piece of meat or vegetable in it for a few seconds to cook it lightly before eating it. It was nothing that couldn't wait a few moments.

Mara slipped her hand into Jin's and walked back out into the living area with him. She looked at the two boxes with their hand-painted paper and hoped he didn't expect her to tear it. Mara was far more inclined to frame it.

She glanced up at him with a smile.
"You didn't have to get me anything you know," she said. Just having him there was plenty. Mara wrapped her arms around Jin's neck and kissed him impulsively, happily. "Thank you."
Jin 13 years ago
He followed her to the chaise, finding her curiosity charming as always. To her statement that he didn't need to get her anything, he frowned. "I know this particular holiday custom and not getting you something would make me a terribly unromantic boyfriend."

Finding himself with arms full of Mara was not an unhappy surprise. He smiled and returned her kiss. "You're welcome. Besides I like finding things for you. I just hope I did a good job."

Looking over at the presents, he picked up the longer but lighter of the two boxes. "This one first." He set it on her lap and scooted back enough to give her room to open it. "They have an order, of sorts. This one. Is the past."

Jin sat with his hands in his lap, watching her and the present. He fought the urge to chew on his lip or fidget while he waited. This one he wasn't so worried about but he was still anxious just the same.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara sat next to Jin and shook her head, unable to perceive of how not receiving a gift would make him unromantic. She thought he was perfectly romantic; it came across in his words and his gestures every time he intended it to.

She looked at the decorative wrapping on the outside of the gift.
"Past," she repeated thoughtfully. With great care she began to remove the outer wrapping of flowers and starbursts, thinking to save it.

When she opened the box she caught her breath in wonder at the work of art within; a silk painting in black, white, and grey. Two cats sat side by side on the roof of a building, one a good deal larger than the other. The architecture of the roof looked traditionally Chinese. The cats were facing away, clearly watching the brightly-painted fireworks above them, the most colorful parts of the painting, in scarlet and gold. The picture was beautifully matted in red, black, and gold, and framed in a gorgeous dark wood textured to look like bamboo.

The name of the artist was written on the side of the painting. Jing. Mara brushed her fingertips over the edge of the frame. Jin must have spent hours making this for her. It was a pleasant memory that brought a glow of warmth somewhere deep inside her. She looked up at him, a wide smile on her lips.

"Thank you," she said again, her voice very soft. She didn't know how else to express the fact that she was very touched he'd spent such time on this. "This is amazing, Jin."

She was already considering where to put it. Someplace where she would look at it often. All the time. The reminder of such a pleasant shared memory would keep her smiling for a very long time.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin smiled and watched her closely. She seemed to actually like it. Diplomats were excellent liars and anyone dealing with them needed to know when they were just being polite. Mara had glanced up and around the room and then back at the painting in her lap. To him, she was either thinking of a place to hang it or a place to stash it, and since she was looking at the walls and not the sofa, closet, and bed, he felt that was a good sign.

"You think so?"

When Mara looked at him he noticed her eyes were a bit shinier than usual. Leaning over, Jin kissed her softly on the cheek. "I am glad you like it. I thought we could continue the theme." He pointed down to the two cats in the picture. "That you began with the glass on Halloween." Jin loved the statue of a pair of dancers, suspiciously familiar, with cat ears and tails that Mara had given him after their outing in the cemetery. He found a spot for it on a table at the entrance to his apartment so that he saw it every time he came and went.

Jin picked up the next present and held it in his lap. "This present is the present." He smiled." It represents things getting better." This was the one that he was worried about. She might not like it at all. He held it up for her to take.

((OOC: Mara's reaction with permission))
Mara 13 years ago
Mara nodded at Jin, rapidly blinking her eyes to clear them. She was touched that he'd thought about her, that she held some place in his mind and in his heart when they weren't together. "I do think so," she said.

She blushed and glanced away when he mentioned the sculpture she had given him.
"You liked it, then," she said unnecessarily. Obviously he had, or he wouldn't have done this painting because of it. At the time she was only just beginning to see Jin as a friend and perhaps something more. Now she couldn't imagine not having him near. The idea that he might leave terrified her as much as opening up to him had initially.

Mara was forced to gently put the painting aside as Jin handed her the larger box and explained it. She looked down at it. Opening it with as much care as the previous box, she looked at the painted rice paper wrapping and laughed, finally seeing the jackal and the stoat hidden in the snowscape. She set that wrapping with the other, determined to keep them both and do something creative with them.

She carefully opened the box, removing the top and furrowing her brow at what was within. Then her lips parted in a little "ah" of comprehension as she reached in and removed a heavy silver-grey pea coat very much like the one she had been wearing when they had been attacked in the alley. It was heavy and thick. Beneath it were a hat and mittens like the ones she liked.

Mara held the coat in her lap, looking down at it and reflecting on Jin's words. Things getting better. She reflected for a few moments. Her old coat had been beyond repair but she and Jin had mended. Every night as another night between them and the horror of the attack. And every time Jin touched her, held her, kissed her, the unwelcome touch of a near stranger faded further and further back.

She looked up at him and smiled, a little bittersweet smile that acknowledged the truth of Jin's words. She leaned against him.
"Thank you," she said. "Things have gotten better. Are getting better. You make them that way."

The coat was a thoughtful gift. She understood the meaning in it. It brought some terrible memories to the fore but those were tempered with better ones, like Jin being there. Not leaving her. Staying the night and the following day with her. And if she wrapped this coat around her in the cold, she would think of him. It was a good thought, and a good gift.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin watched her anxiously. The little frown was enough to make him think he had made a mistake in his choice. He should have stuck with flowers and a box of candy. There were reasons why such gifts were popular on this holiday; they were safe and generally well received.

He pointed to the coat. "I had it altered. It has a light weave kevlar inside it." Jin fingered a sleeve. "It don't know that it would stop a bullet but it will help." Jin reached over and flipped open the coat. Toward the front, into the lining, small pouches had been sewn in. He reached in and pulled out the tiny device inside and then pulled another device from his pocket. "Pushing this one, activates this other one. It would let me know you are in trouble. When pressed it sends a signal to this one and I can find it with a GPS." Jin pointed to the other pocket and then held out another device. "This one you can give to whoever you like. I didn't want to assume." Amir would be his first choice and he suspected Mara's as well but he felt that was her's to make. "I figure two is better than one." There might be another time when they might both need to be rescued or he might be out of the country. It would make him feel better to know she could call another for help if she needed it.

"I want you to feel safe no matter where you are." Jin smiled sadly. "and to know that I will do my best to be there if you need me." He sighed. "Of course I hope to be spending plenty of time with you so we'll be getting into trouble together." Jin gave her a hesitant smile and answered her statement. "I hope so. I will do my best."
Mara 13 years ago
As Jin described the nature of this gift to her Mara nodded in understanding, feeling a tightness in her chest that was full of anxiety. She once again tried to turn the situation the other way though. For every bad memory there was a good one; for every dark thought there had to be a balance.

She smiled at Jin.
"So I have a sweater and a microchip?" she asked with a little glimmer of mischievous humor.

Mara felt the density of the fabric of the coat, turned the lining to her so she could see the little pockets Jin indicated. She tucked the extra GPS device into the appropriate pocket and looked at the other one.

"I hope I never need this," she said sincerely. The wish was twofold. Obviously she didn't want to be attacked again, but she also hoped Jin wouldn't be far from where she was.

Mara rested her hand lightly on Jin's leg.
"You do make things better, Jin. You're a wonderful person. Everything you do for me," she paused and shook her head. "You make me a better person."

She smiled down at the little device in her hand and the coat on her lap. "I will be the best-protected kitty in Nachton," she said. "I would do the same for you, too," she added. Then she laughed softly. "You just never seem to need it."

Jin might be prone to accidents or mischief not entirely of his making, but he certainly seemed to have a knack for getting himself back out again.

Having opened the two presents Mara smiled.
"Thank you Jin. For everything. Not just the presents. But everything."

She turned to him and rested her head against his chest. Mara thought she was a very lucky person. That Jin cared for her was obvious; Mara felt her heart swell. He was, to her, a pretty fantastic person. If only she could figure out how to express that.
Jin 13 years ago
He shrugged his shoulders at her response and refrained from pointing out that it was better than a cat collar. The device wasn't able to track her unless she pressed the button. Jin had not wanted to invade her privacy but give her a way to call for help should she need it.

"I hope not either." The reality was that in most situations Mara could easily take care of herself. The world was, for the most part, not a dangerous place. A human mugger might be a scare but of no real concern.

He smiled hesitantly at her when she said that he made her be a better person. Jin could not see how that was true but he did feel that he was somehow better while he was with her. Perhaps it was the same; they were greater as a whole than their individual parts. He wondered what they might be like centuries into the future after having spent many long decades working and playing together.

Jin laughed a little when she said that he never needed protecting.
"I get into trouble. It just tends to be the kind that requires a clan meeting and fast words to get me out of."

Holding her close, he kissed the top of her head. "You're welcome." His happy smile transformed into something a little more wicked. "I think we should save the future for....the future. So how about we start dinner and the movie? There will be something to look forward to later."
Mara 13 years ago
When Jin shrugged at her weak attempt at humor Mara winced and rested her hand on his arm briefly, smiling up at him. While the coat was not the sort of gift that would bring a smile to her lips, she found it a thoughtful and caring present. She wished she could convey that better; with Jin, expressing herself in words seemed to be her downfall. The moment passed though, leaving her wondering if he thought she disapproved or if he was annoyed at her for making light of it.

As she watched his actions and his responses Mara wondered if Jin was unhappy. He had lost some of the exuberance he'd walked in with and she didn't know why. His smile was a little less bright, his laugh a little less open. She worried about that; she wanted him to enjoy his evening.

When he suggested saving the future for later Mara raised her eyebrows curiously. She did not see another box, so she assumed that the future was somewhat intangible. A little mystery of her own! Jin's mischievous smile was much better than the hesitant one had been.

She cuddled into his arms briefly before extricating herself and nodding.
"Dinner and a movie, then," she agreed. Before going back into the kitchen, however, Mara picked up the coat Jin had bought her. She brought it to the rack on the wall by the stairs. She had purchased a new coat right after the attack and it hung there now, but Mara removed it and hung the new one in its place. Folding the old new coat over her arm she laid it in the stairwell for lack of a better place to put it; she would donate it to a shelter the next night.

Having made her quiet statement on that topic Mara headed back into the kitchen and looked around.
"How about we eat while we watch," she suggested.

Her motives were honest, at least - the last time they'd tried to watch a movie they had ended up ignoring it to... explore other options. Mara felt her skin warm with the memory. She didn't doubt - or at least, tentatively hoped - that at some point tonight they might continue where they'd left off, but for the time being she actually intended them to watch the whole film.

She picked up the electric hot pot from the counter, unplugged it, and brought it to the steamer trunk that served as a table. She plugged it back in under the TV where it continued to simmer. The tray of vegetables followed along with the cooler of thinly sliced meat and seafood, which she unpacked onto another plate. From one of the cabinets she pulled two sets of chopsticks and two bowls, handing them to Jin.

"Do you have the movie?" she asked as they headed back into the living room.

The sofa was a little bit too high to eat comfortably from but Mara solved it by pulling two of the throw pillows from the armchair and setting them on the floor.
"Will this do?"

It was cozy and casual, not formal at all. Mara thought it would be a good way to enjoy their evening's entertainment, and when they had finished eating they could always move back up to the couch.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin went to find where he had set the movie in among the pile of things he brought in. He was therefore prepared when that question was asked. He opened the packaging and slid the movie into the DVD player while Mara moved dishes to the trunk in front of the sofa.

Her solution for seating was perfect.
"It looks very comfortable." They could see the movie, eat and relax all at the same time.

"Where is the remote?"

Watching the movie with dinner might be the only way to make sure they actually see it. Jin smiled at the thought.
"We didn't leave any doors open did we? There are no brothers also living here that I should be aware of?" Jin found that unlikely but he teased, pretending to look around behind the sofa and peer into the kitchen area as if expecting Bao's twin to walk up any second. He grinned at her mischievously and said.

"Not that I mind...I just want to make sure I put on a good show this time."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara showed Jin where she kept the remotes for the TV and the DVD player, somewhat hidden, tucked alongside the DVD player. Picking them up she set them within his reach upon the corner of the chaise they had vacated. Before sitting down she held up a finger.

"I almost forgot," she said. She went to the kitchen counter once more, where they had put the insulated bottle of wine Jin had brought. She laughed at him as she went, her face flushing.

"There are no little brothers. No open doors. Not even a pet cat or a goldfish." She looked at him for a moment, her expression raw with the frustration of newfound desire. "No interruptions," she murmured, turning away shyly.

She found the appropriate tool from one of the drawers while she pulled herself together and handed it to Jin.
"Would you do the honors?"

While he expertly excised the bottle and removed the cork, Mara grabbed two wine glasses. She placed them on the counter so he could pour, and then they brought them back to their improvised table along with the open bottle. Mara settled herself on the pillow to the right and waited for Jin to sit as well before raising her glass to him with a smile.

"Happy Valentine's, Jin," she said. "Thank you for sharing it with me."
Jin 13 years ago
Jin looked relieved. Despite his statement about showing off, he was really rather private when it came to displays of affection. At least his actual affection and not a part to play. What he felt for Mara was new and personal; they had only just begun to express their desires to each other. He was unwilling to share that even with a pet goldfish.

He caught the look on Mara's face and smiled slightly. Jin was relieved to see it and ecstatic to be the cause of it. The result was a similar feeling and he reminded himself that dinner and a movie was not so long a time to wait.

She handed him the bottle of wine and that gave him something else to think about. It was a good distraction. The meal Mara had prepared smelled scrumptious. He was looking forward to trying everything.

Taking a seat next to her, Jin picked up the remotes he had been given. Turning on the television and then starting the DVD.

"You gave a man your remotes." He looked at her with a solemn face. "You know you might never get them back."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara laughed softly at Jin. "I think I can live with that," she said. "While you're here, you can be the master of the remotes."

She neglected to mention that she might not let him go. Having him here, in her space, was delightful. It seemed just right. If she could tempt him with remote control domination, she wasn't too proud to do so.

She watched the beginning of the movie to refresh her memory, unable to suppress her laughter again at the memory of Jin's 'Imhotep' reprisal at the manor. She glanced at him, brows raised, to see if he felt like performing an encore.

Finally she turned her attention to the meal before them. It had been ages since she'd had a hot pot but she'd sampled her cooking as she'd done it and she was pleased with the result. Carefully she picked up a thin slice of duck breast from the tray in front of them, dipped it into the simmering stock, and held it in for several seconds before lifting it out over her bowl and blowing lightly on it. Biting into it delicately she savored the taste.