Waiting

Alfarinn wandered about Thaddeus's quarters or perhaps it would be more accurate to say he prowled like a caged cat. It was better than being in his own home though, at least here there were things of interest that would cause him to pause and smile.

Thaddeus had quite the collection of books and Alfarinn stood in front of the bookcases for a while taking in some of the titles. He smiled at the rows of books that looked similar to Thaddeus's current journal and wondered if by the time his companion reached several thousand years of age they'd have to get him his own library for them.

There was no use picking up anything to read, He knew he'd simply stare blankly at the pages. Heading upstairs, Alfarinn paused at the grand piano and reached out a hand to touch it lightly on the cover, the image of his lover came instantly to his mind, hands playing over the keys with an easy grace, head tilted to the side and eyes partly closed as the music carried him away to a place of peace. Alfarinn could almost hear the music, he sighed and felt more at ease.

He decided it would be better to try and continue on with something that would be more relaxing, or at least stop his pacing. Wandering into the large bathroom Alfarinn was glad to see Thaddeus had a tub as well as the shower he had mentioned briefly.

Sitting on the edge, he leaned over and began to run the hot water. Alfarinn made sure that a towel was handy and then undressed, folding his clothes neatly and setting them on a counter. Looking around for something to hold up his hair, He finally reached back into his pocket and pulled out his pen. Tieing the hair up in a loose knot, he secured this with the writing utensil now made hair accessory.

Alfarinn turned off the water and slid into the tub with a sigh. While his mind was still miles away wondering how his companion was faring, his body at least was starting to relax. He hadn't been aware of how tense he'd been until the warm water began to loosen his limbs a tiny bit at a time. Eventually, he leaned back and closed his eyes, images of Thaddeus doing the very same caused him to smile briefly before his mind wandered back onto possibilities he'd rather not contemplate.

'He'll be back soon' Alfarinn told his wayward thoughts firmly before leaning up and finding the soap and a washcloth.

Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn found that he really could not get much cleaner and the water was growing cold, not that cold water had ever bothered him but there was no sense in prolonging the experience when he was here alone.

Letting the water drain away, he stood and reached for the towel that he'd set aside. He toweled himself dry and stepped out of the tub. Looking around, Alfarinn made certain everything was back in its proper order before wrapping the towel around his waist and taking the pen from his hair. Placing it back in the pocket of his clothes, he wandered back out into the bedroom thoughtfully, He really didn't want to go looking about in Thaddeus's wardrobes for a bathrobe which wasn't likely to fit him well in any case. Still someone might come looking for him and it would be best to at least be more decent than this. Hoping his lover would forgive his invasion of privacy, Alfarinn went back and looked in the other wardrobe that was in the bathroom. Finding a terry cloth robe similar to the ones Thaddeus had at the apartment, he slipped off the towel and put it on. It came to his knees and he chuckled to himself about how odd that must look.

Putting the wet towel in the laundry bin, he picked up his clothes and headed back out and down the stairs. He set his clothes in a chair for later and found that once again he had nothing to do but wait.

Spying a table with fencing equipment laid out for easy access, Alfarinn suspected his companion really did practice as often as he could manage. Thaddues was no doubt very skilled after all these years of honing techniques along with his natural grace and agility. He reached out and picked up the épée, the images of Thaddeus came immediately to mind, holding it firmly but loosely in his hand, standing at the ready, executing various lunges and parries, each one flashed rapidly in his thoughts before the scenes slowed down and simply left him with a sense of his companion focused and concentrating on the match.

He tilted the blade upright and then held it out before him to get the feel of the weight. It was light, very light, compared to what he was used to sparing with. Alfarinn thought he was likely to lose hold of it, simply unused to something lighter than the comfortable weight of his long sword in his hand. He was likely to look clumsy and oafish and hoped that Thaddeus was a patient teacher.

Alfarinn gently picked up a cleaning rag laid out with the rest of the equipment and cleaned the blade and handle before setting it back neatly in its place.

"Now what?" he muttered to himself and looked over at the books again.
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler hung up the phone with an audible click and smoothed out the crinkles in his forehead with his hand. This was simply -not- his night. Apparently some brilliant person had decided to put a guest, one Arin Bjorn, up in none other than Lord Grey's quarters. Yet another damned if he did, damned if he didn't situation. If he did not follow through and make sure the guest was as comfortable as possible, he would likely catch hell. If he did as ordered, he imagined there would be no end to the brat's complaints.

There was nothing for it, though. Story of his life.

He picked up the phone once more, dialing the intercom for Thaddeus's quarters.

Arin Bjorn?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn heard his name over the intercom and looked up at it startled. Was something wrong? He didn't feel any distress from Thaddeus, in fact it seemed to him that his companion was more at ease now than he was earlier though it was hard to tell more subtle things across the city from each other. There was a moment though where he felt some sort of shock but it passed quickly enough. Alfarinn figured they either found who they were looking for or they saw something that surprised and appalled his partner.

He went to the intercom and pressed the button, hoping that it was not any sort of bad news that his senses somehow missed.

With a wary voice he replied.
" This is Arin. Am I needed?"

It was vague enough to display his willingness to help without saying exactly what he was doing here or what he feared might be the problem.
Butler 18 years ago
Yes, actually, you are needed. You are needed somewhere far, far away from Lord Grey's rooms. Off you go, run along now before I end up with a lost limb or shattered eardrums from Lord Grey's shrieking when he finds out what we have done.

The Butler sighed mentally before replying in his most professional voice.

Quite the opposite, Mr. Bjorn. I was merely enquiring if I might be of service to you this evening. Is there anything I might offer you to make your stay at the Manor more comfortable?

Yes, Mr. Bjorn, how -else- might you -ruin my life- today? No really, I would love to know what sort of tasks you would have me complete in my final hours.

Alright, so he was being just slightly dramatic. The little snot -probably- wouldn't do him any more harm than annoyance, but it was exactly that sort of crap that that the Butler really did not need. Already tonight someone had managed to get water all over the floor of the foyer and there had been a lovely mess of books in the library to clean up. The Butler wondered vaguely how the Manor would look if the staff simply up and left.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled both in relief and at the thoughtfulness of either Morrigan or Thaddeus and pressed the button again.

"Oh, I see." He said quietly. Alfarinn thought for a moment and decided there was something that would help him a good deal.

"There wouldn't happen to be some decent scotch around here would there? ...And a couple of glasses?"

It would be calming to his nerves, perhaps Thaddeus would forgive him the indulgence and it was hardly likely to make him drunk unless he managed to down the entire bottle.
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler looked up to the ceiling and offered up a silent prayer to whoever might be listening that the scotch not be spilled. It would be just like Mr. No-I-Do-Not-Partake to have a fit about drinking in his rooms in any case, but make his rooms smell like the stuff and he would never hear the end of it.

I believe we have just the thing, Mr. Bjorn. I shall be there directly.

The Manor had a fine selection of well aged scotches, and as the Butler made his way to the kitchens and beyond to the storeroom, he mulled over which to choose between cursing Lord Grey's name. Because, after all, this entire situation was somehow -his- fault.

Sighing, he picked one of their finest bottles and set it on the small round tray along with two glasses. He could not imagine who the second glass might be for, nor had he asked; it was none of his business and certainly made the task of fetching said items no easier. Also, he just didn't really care. If Mr. Bjorn had asked for a tea kettle filled with pepto bismol he would have responded in exactly the same manner, though it was somewhat of a relief that he hadn't asked for anything so odd. Unlike some people around here.

Realizing that he had somehow forgotten to ask how the guest took his drink, he shrugged and filled a small ice bucket, placing the glasses on top to chill, then picked up two bottles of water, sparkling and regular.

Balancing the burden on one hand with ease, he made his way down the hall to the snooty imp's quarters and carefully knocked on the doorframe.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn was going to get dressed but figured the butler would likely be here before he finished. He was at least decent in what he had on and that would be better than being in some state of undress when the man arrived.

It wasn't long before he heard the knock on the door, pushing a stray strand of hair out of his eyes, he went and pulled it open. Seeing the butler carrying a tray with the bottle, glasses and ice, Alfarinn moved to the side to allow him entrance.

"That was very kind of you. If you're not terribly busy would you care to join me?"

He smiled and gestured to the chairs.

"I'd love company but I would understand if you have more pressing matters."
Butler 18 years ago
Oh. I'm going to die. Goodbye, cruel world! Goodbye spoiled vampires, farewell bloodstains on the tiles, for Mr. Bjorn is wearing one of Lord Grey's bathrobes.

Oh, the humanity! Well...no, actually one couldn't really say that could they. Even so.

He calmly entered the room, tray in hand.

I trust you find the accommodations to your liking?

Upon hearing Mr. Bjorn's offer, he set the tray on the table between the two chairs and turned to look up at the tall man. Was he -trying- to get him into trouble? Was this some sort of sick joke?

No, likely not; no one could be -that- cruel. He could just picture the brat's reaction now at the sight of a strange man wearing one of his bathrobes while speaking to the lowly butler seated in his chair. The guest, on the other hand, probably had no idea of what sort of trouble he was causing; most likely he was told to make himself at home, and so he had.

But what to do now? Decline the drink and chance wrath? Accept the drink and face yet more? He was going to catch it either way at this point and a part of him thought he might as well have a drink before he went, but some small part of him, even after all this time, still believed that if he simply did his job, everything would work out in the end.

I am afraid I must decline; it would not be seemly. If, however, I can offer you anything else?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and sighed at the answer. He did sense that there was at least contemplation of his offer, perhaps the man was just refusing out of appearances, which is what his answer suggested. He could understand that, perhaps he could put the man at ease.

"Ah, I did forget myself. Anantya does do things differently. However, personally, I would enjoy your company. There is no impropriety in being social in my opinion."

He looked about and then back at the butler.

"I am sure Thaddeus wouldn't mind you staying and having a drink with me. I will certainly say that I insisted in any case. Should it be asked, you were simply being a good host. "

Alfarinn reached down and poured out some scotch into one of the glasses and held it out to the butler.

"Are you certain you won't stay for at least one?"
Butler 18 years ago
Flustered, the Butler could do nothing else but accept the offered glass and hold it for a moment to the light before resting it once again on the table.

If you insist, I suppose one will do no harm.

No more harm than was already done, in any case. The trouble was, he reflected, that he would -not- be asked what in God's name he was doing sitting and drinking in the snot's quarters; no, instead the whiney brat would raise that infernal eyebrow of his (and how he -wished- he could raise just one eyebrow like that) and say nothing. That was the brat's way; say nothing, because the Butler was so far beneath his contempt that he could not even speak to him directly. But oh, he would hear about it just the same, of that the Butler was certain.

He took the bottle of scotch in hand, the second glass in the other.

And how do you take your scotch, Mr. Bjorn?

Well, nothing for it now. If only Mr. Bjorn, who was turning more agreeable by the moment, knew the truth of the matter.

Although...

You are acquainted with Lo...with Thaddeus Grey?

He should have realized, really. So few things surprised the Butler, resigned to his fate as he was, and he had simply taken it for granted when the receptionist called to inform him of his duties that things were just as she had said, however unusual the whole situation was. He had assumed, as always, that he was being punished for some awful deed in a past life, and went about his business.

Now, did that make the situation better or worse was the question; after all, the snot allowed few people past the curtain in his quarters, and allowed next to no one to make themselves quite this comfortable once inside.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and said.

"Neat. The water dulls its flavor in my opinion. And call me Arin, if you will, Mr Björn sounds so formal. I keep looking around for the board members and wondering just what they might make of me in a bathrobe that comes only to my knees. Though likely they would assume it was one of my odd quirks and try not to notice. Still... hard to expect anyone to continue being so proper when faced with such a sight."

Pulling the garment just mentioned tighter around him, Alfarinn asked.

"And what may I call you, Sir?"

He did raise an eyebrow at the title that nearly slipped into spoken words but responded to the question just the same, wondering if the staff were the reason Thaddeus hated being called such. Certainly not..He couldn't imagine the man in front of him speaking with anything less the decorum his post demanded. Alfarinn still thought it a shame that Thaddeus seemed to dislike it as much as he did, in his own mind, Mister simply wasn't good enough for his companion.

"Yes, Thaddeus and I met in the museum. I had some information that he needed. " Alfarinn wondered just how to explain. "We found we had a lot in common."
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler carefully poured the scotch up to the level of his thumb, then, seeing Mr. Bjorn...Arin's...generosity with his own glass, poured a healthy bit more.

He -did- have a name, didn't he? Oh yes, of course he did. Few deemed it necessary to address him by it in this place, but the name existed nonetheless. And if Mr...Arin insisted on being addressed by his first name, it was only fair that the guest knew his, lest he be at a disadvantage of some sort. Not that there would ever be equal footing between them, even with Arin in an ill fitting bathrobe. Of course, -he- was not important enough to get properly dressed for, but that was beside the point.

Rupurt Burke at your service.

He raised his eyebrows (both eyebrows, much to his disappointment) at Arin's accounting.

Ah yes, the museum. Mr. Grey visits the Arch quite often.

Few would know as well as the Butler; he had been forced to call there often enough when the brat was needed at the manor, since the young vampire who only wished he could be an ancient was too good for a mobile phone.

He could not help but be surprised at the amiable man's admission that he had found commonalities with the little snot. Likely he just didn't know Lord Grey well enough yet. Even so, he kept his professional neutrality as he gestured for Arin to take a seat.

How fascinating.He took a small sip of the scotch. We have seen little of Thaddeus Grey at the Manor as of late; were you expecting to see him this evening? He was here earlier in the night, but I understand he had to step out.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and took a seat, gesturing for the man to take the other one.

"A pleasure to meet you, Rupert. "

He laughed quietly at the image of Thaddeus in the library. Funny how things turned out so differently than they both had expected, his companion had been so serious and formal that night, the epitome of politeness and dignity, the very image of Clan Anantya. He was ever an excellent example of the best in his clan but they had put aside the formalities...to say the least.

"Yes, I can see where he might find it a pleasant place to spend his time. I haven't been there nearly as often as I should. " Considering his line of work, people would probably expect him to spend a great deal of his time in museums but Alfarinn rarely found the time to simply take a few hours and enjoy one.

Alfarinn nodded at the mention of Thaddeus being here earlier.

"We arrived together but business called him away. Hopefully, he'll return shortly."

Turning to something other than his companion's absence, he asked.

"And what about you? Do you care for museum visits in your spare time? If you don't mind my asking?"
Butler 18 years ago
Somewhat surprised that Arin was taking an interest in how he spent his off time, he sipped the scotch and did his best to look thoughtful to hide his hesitation. The first thought that came to his mind (Time? What is this 'spare time' you speak of?) hardly seemed appropriate.

This house is a museum in and of itself, I believe. He continued with no small amount of pride. And I know every inch of it. The things one can find here, if one looks closely! But no, I find I spend so much time indoors with relics he smirked a little and left his meaning ambiguous that I take what time I can to enjoy the true masterpiece, mother Nature herself. Alas, but 'The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep.'*

He shook his head, clearing away thoughts of time spent with nature, with green life all around him. The manor could seem so cold and dead and heartless at times that the woods were a welcome respite. Being surrounded by blood sucking undead (though the Butler excluded present company in his mind) day in and day out had a way of making one appreciate living things. Here, even the pet dogs were downright creepy.

But I digress; you will forgive me my indiscretions, I hope. In my line of work, they are at times all I have to keep me in good spirits.

The Butler felt he would do well to remember that this vampire was a friend of the bratty Lord Grey, and was apt to turn on him at any moment, but he reminded himself that hell would take its payment anyway, and waxing poetic certainly could not hurt matters any worse than they already were.

/ooc *Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening, Robert Frost. Who knew The Butler was a tree hugger!
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn nodded in agreement at the manor's impressiveness. Nor did he doubt the man before him could tell him things that even his counter parts didn't know. He did chuckle quietly at the use of terms... after all Anantya had been known to be called "relics" from time to time though he doubted the butler was aware of what the other clans called his employers. It was likely that the human staff called them that as well. It had always been fitting, and it made him wonder what his own human companions in Evenhet's employ called their vampire acquaintances.

"Relics indeed! Though some of us would fail to see the humor in such a title. I confess to being a fossil myself, some say I've been around when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I can imagine this place would have interesting stories to tell, as would you." Alfarinn smiled at the thought of all the things the butler had been witness to while here.

Turning to the rest of the conversation, he added.

"That poem always recalled such beautiful imagery and walking in the woods is a relaxing past time. I'm afraid living down in the center of the city I have to rely on the gardens in order to feel like a part of the great outdoors. Steel and glass -do- get tiresome after a while no matter how convenient everything is. This place though..." He smiled and looked around. "Is timeless in its beauty, much like the forest, though I suppose even here you would feel a need for a change of scenery once and a while."

Alfarinn smiled kindly and shook his head.

"Hardly an indescretion, I find it a wholesome way to spend your off hours. For myself, when I find that my work is becoming too much for me to handle at my best, I go sailing. There is something very humbling about being alone on the ocean. It tends to remind me of my place in the world. Lest my ego get the better of me." He grinned in a self depreciating manner and took a swallow of his scotch.

"I suppose it is the Norse in me, though I haven't gone raiding small villages in a while."
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler had the grace to look up at the ceiling when Arin picked up the double meaning of his statement. He supposed he shouldn't be surprised, and the gentleman had responded with good humor.

Present company excluded then, of course.

He did his best to look scandalized at the suggestion that he would ever reveal anything seen or heard within the walls of the Manor, though secretly he found the idea quite amusing. He would never in his life breath a word of the secrets he witnessed here, insignificant or otherwise, but the thought of publishing some of the more amusing antidotes on the internet was one of his better daydreams.

Oh, I think you will find that you get more stories out of the walls than from me.

He smiled faintly at Arin's evaluation of the Manor. He had to admit that it -did- give him a sense of satisfaction to hear the appreciation in the guest's voice; while he might disparage his situation in his mind, he took pride in a job well done and knew he had a great deal to do with the current appearance of the Manor.

Speaking of humility, though, have you had the pleasure of viewing the observatory? I find it is an excellent location when one wishes to recall how important they are in the scheme of things. He chuckled ruefully; he knew his place well enough and hardly needed a reminder, but it was good to remember that there was more to the world than this life, this Manor, this station. It might appeal to your sensibilities; the observatory is an excellent location if one desires solitude and thought.

The chuckle deepened darkly at the mention of burning villages.

I should hope not! I would agree that sailing is a much better way to get in touch with one's roots than arson.

He looked over at Arin's glass and, seeing it somewhat depleted, picked up the bottle of scotch.

Another?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn chuckled and responded.

"I would certainly never pry, butlers are known for being the very souls of discretion, I do believe its a job requirement. I would wonder how one trains for such a thing but I'm sure it gets easier, with each shocking event that you must witness, to do so without so much as a blink of surprise."

He shook his head.

"No, we spoke with Morrigan and Thaddeus was detained before he could show me about the Manor as he intended. It sounds lovely, I enjoy looking at the stars while out on the boat away from the city lights where they all shine as brightly as they used to before the modern world put up its own version to rival the heavens."

Alfarinn smiled and held out his glass for pouring.

"Thank you, kind sir. No, as you might guess, arson is not one of my favorite activities. I never much cared for the rape and pillage raids and they were a bit...after my time. I would have loved to do more exploring by sea but long voyages were not very practical for my kind at the time."

The early ships had very little cover and those that did would still find him holed up in a small place completely at the mercy of the good will of a human crew. It was still tempting but sailors have always been a superstitious lot and one large storm would be all it took for them to decide that the "devil" in their midst was the cause of the gods' anger. He'd longed to go but even he wasn't so foolhardy as that.
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler stood for a moment and tipped the scotch bottle carefully, pouring a little more into Arin's glass, pulling back, then decided yet more would suffice. He set down the bottle and resumed his seat, though not before looking at his own nearly empty glass. But no; he had been persuaded to have one drink, and no more. He must keep his dignity.

He grinned a little at Arin's lyrical description of life at sea, glad he was not the only one who got caught up in earth's wonders. He listened with interest to Arin's accountings of his young adventures, and the bitter sweetness of the tale was not lost on him.

It is easy to forget, as time goes on, just what your kind gives up at their transformation. All too easy, in fact.

Though I am a mere Butler, I have freedoms they do not.

He took another sip of his drink and pondered that for a moment before looking over at Arin. There was nothing malicious in the thought, nothing smug; he believed the comment said more about himself than it did vampires. Waiting on vampires hand and foot, day in and day out, could easily wipe away the realization that he -could- go out in the daylight, and have safe dealings with humans, and do any number of things they could not.

But perhaps I have crossed a line; I blame the beverage, it makes me truthful. In all honesty, I was contemplating the things we take for granted; the very stars in the sky, our freedoms...something we are all guilty of from time to time, perhaps to our loss.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled faintly at the statement and nodded agreement.

"No, you are quite right and I enjoy your honesty. I work very closely with humans and in the beginning it is easy to see the appeal of what we are... to never grow old, never get sick but over long association it takes on a more truthful aspect for those who look closely. It means watching your family pass away, watching everything about your mortal life disappear including your culture and the beliefs of the time, never seeing another sunrise and never having children."

He looked up at the ceiling, lost in thought.

"I like children and always enjoyed playing with the little ones in the village. I might have wanted some of my own soon. My father had been pushing me to find a wife but I thought I had all the time in the world for such things... now I simply have all the time in the world."

Alfarinn looked back down at his companion.

"I wonder if I would have made a decent father. But.. these are my own maudlin thoughts, I'm certainly used to my fate by now and there's no changing it. Do you have children, Rupert?"
Butler 18 years ago
The Butler raised his eyebrows in surprise at the mention of children. He had always thought of that desire as uniquely human, something that would fade in time for a vampire. Interesting.

He nodded his head and pulled his wallet out of his pants pocket.

Indeed I do. He opened his wallet and flipped through photos until he came to one of a young man in his early twenties. He wore a smirk on his face and his almond shaped eyes twinkled with mischief. He held up the photo for Alfarinn to see. This is Jason. He lives with his wife in San Francisco. No grandkids yet though.

He closed the wallet and slipped it back in his pocket.

Obviously not mine in the genetic sense, but my son just the same. You can see I'm proud of him, doesn't take much to have me pulling out a picture.

He finished off the last of his drink and sighed.

I suppose I know I'm beat when I start in on the photos, though. You must think me a batty old man.