Last Minute Details (Invite Only)

Alex looked at the array of boxes that littered the floor of his store and the staircase leading up to his apartment. True to his word, he'd started packing as soon as he and Eiryk had gotten home from their mini vacation. Eiryk had recruited Rowan and Christian to help them actually move his things to Liefde, where they would stay at Eiryk's place until they found a larger one. Alex found himself both nervous and excited. He'd never thought he would be moving in with someone like this, but it felt very right. He wanted to stay with Eiryk and he never should have left.

He was grateful for their friends, too. Rowan had a car to help move boxes in. Alex's furniture would be staying at his apartment, of course, so it was really just boxes of belongings and clothes and such. There wasn't a ton to move; maybe three or four trips would do it with four pairs of hands helping out. He wasn't always the most social person but he enjoyed Rowan's company and Cris was a friend now as well... it was good to know people.

A year ago Alex never would have imagined he would know one vampire, much less two. Or be dating one of them... guess you could never guess where life would take you.

He smiled at Eiryk and surveyed the boxes that were overflowing from the stairs into the propped-open shop door.
"I think this is everything I need," he said. Then he shook his head, crossed the space to Eiryk, and wrapped his arms around him. "I lied, this is everything I need."

He leaned down and kissed Eiryk softly on his lips to accentuate his point.

Eiryk 12 years ago
Thora was 'helping' that was to say she knew if she ran under his feet she could get him to fall. Eiryk knew he should have left her over at the Towers but well he was a soft touch. At least she only played this game with him, and the odds were high he'd face plant any way so he tolerated it. Besides, Alex was moving and he was far too happy to worry about one slightly out of control kit. She bolted down the stairs in front of him as Eiryk carried a box that wasn't too heavy but was hard to see around.

He was glad that Rue was going to be here. The extra car would be nice, his wasn't exactly suited for hauling, and well Eiryk was going to have to do more of a detailed explanation of the clan and what living in the Towers might mean. Having Christian come along made him a little nervous about said explanation but he'd come to like their chief of security and wasn't at all worried about the man being here in an unofficial capacity. He was turning into a good friend to have.

"Why do I get the feeling you're only letting me carry the non-breakables?"

Eiryk complained good naturedly and immediately slid down the last three stairs in a stumbling fall that would have been the envy of any physical comedian. But he didn't care. The point was that Alex was moving in and they were going to be together always. Having set the box down he was rewarded with an Alex hug and felt all warm and fuzzy.

It was nearly impossible not to smile back at Alex when he smiled at you, at least Eiryk thought so. He grinned back and easily kissed his boyfriend back.

"Well that will save on grocery bills."

He teased cheerfully before picking Alex up and sweeping him into a deeper less 'appropriate' kiss. One of the two other men were going to say something if they kept this up. Eiryk, however, didn't care.
Rowan Murphy 12 years ago
It was fortunate the Towers were close to Alex's store. Rowan wasn't sure he could have focused too much longer with Cris's hand in his lap, than the short drive to the location Eiryk had specified. As it was he parked his car down the street a bit and spent a good long time repaying Christian for the distraction by returning it in kind. The windows of his blue Prius hybrid were starting to steam up by the time they pulled themselves away from each other and dragged themselves out of the car.

They were still putting up the show of being tolerant almost-friends because it seemed to drive Eiryk crazy, and after his initial expressed hope that Rowan and Cris would hook up, neither of them wanted to give him the gratification of having been right. Not immediately. However, that show was getting harder and harder to maintain. As it was, before they reached Alexander's store Rowan pulled Cris into a nearby alcove and did his best to kiss him senseless right there on the street.

"I hope you're ready for more torture," he said softly with a grin as they approached the building.

Rowan could see the store door was propped open to reveal a bunch of boxes. The outer stairs were crammed with them as well.

"Hey, did someone order some hired help wooooaaah, should we come back?"

Rowan crossed his arms and grinned as they walked in on a steamy kiss reminiscent of what had just happened in the alcove... so unfair.

"We can go get some coffee if you need a few moments."

Or they could go make out in Rowan's car some more.

In all honesty though, it was good to see Eiryk in love. Like Rowan, Eiryk had spent his long centuries involved on and off but never really finding that one person. Sure, he and Rowan had had their fun times together but they had never shared the sort of sparks that Eiryk seemed to with Alex, or Rowan felt for Cris. There were no hard feelings between them at all; they had always been friends and would always be friends.

Rowan thought Alex had taken the news about his being a vampire quite well, and Eiryk had indicated to him that he needed to discuss a little more about the Clan tonight. Rowan had told Cris as much in the car on the way over (between moans and threats of reciprocation). He suspected his role here was to provide some stability and prevent any sort of freak-out should one occur. He was fine with that. It was what he did.
Christian Bern 12 years ago
Cris knew he was torturing poor Rowan while the man drove but they were going to have to behave themselves soon so he felt much less remorse than he probably should have. Whatever guilt he might have felt quickly faded once the car had been parked and Rowan spent ample time repaying his attentions.

Eventually they made it out of the vehicle but he found himself pulled off to the side and kissed thoroughly before they could round the corner and go to their friend's store. Cris smiled up at Rowan knowingly and nodded his head. [I figure there are going to be several rides to and from the Towers before we're finished... Too bad you can't convincingly say you got lost for thirty minutes or so.]

They walked up on Eiryk and Alex in an embrace that reminded him of the one he had just seen up close. Rowan commented and asked if they might need to go get some coffee first to give the two of them time to pull it together. He frowned slightly in disapproval of the redhead's statement, while chuckling inwardly at his partner's words.

Cris spoke up though and offered. "We could get everyone some if you tell us what you want?"

[So did Eiryk want to wait to get Alex moved into Liefde before saying, surprise! there are lots of vampires here, or to tell him before we start moving things in?] One seemed like the better tactical option and the other seemed more polite. He wondered which the Viking would choose and would it even make a difference.
Alex Aristos 12 years ago
Alex heard a familiar teasing voice and broke away from kissing Eiryk as his face flamed as red as Rowan's hair. "Hey. Uh. Sorry. No, we're okay. Thanks."

He struggled to regain his composure, knowing the teasing was meant in fun. Coming from Rowan it didn't bother him; he was just embarrassed at having been caught making out in a corner like a horny teenager. In truth he was sort of glad to be included in the friendly ribbing Rowan usually reserved for Eiryk.

"We'll probably want coffee later. I mean it's still early. For you guys." Then, realizing he had included Cris in that statement without meaning to he sighed at himself. "I mean you two." He gestured at Eiryk and Rowan.

Which led him to wonder... did Christian know what Eiryk and Rowan were? Had he just made some kind of horrible faux pas? Nah. Eiryk and Rowan were notorious night owls anyway, Eiryk because he was Eiryk, and Rowan because his job kept him up and down at all hours.

"Thanks for coming," he said, heading back onto solid conversational ground. "I really appreciate the help."

Especially because Eiryk had told him both men worked busy jobs. He didn't know what Cris did but he knew Rowan rarely had a few hours to himself. The fact that he was willing to spend some of it lugging Alex's possessions to Liefde made Alex feel, well, sort of special. A little guilty, but mostly sort of happy.

Christian frowned at the idea of going to get coffee; Alex wondered if he and Rowan couldn't find a few more things in common. He'd thought they were getting along fairly well but they seemed to annoy each other on a constant basis. Some friends were like that though; they seemed to enjoy hanging out with Alex and Eiryk, so maybe that was just how they were. He figured it wasn't his business. When they'd gone over to Cris's place that last time, though, he could have sworn... well. It was apparently nothing.

He gestured to the boxes on the stairs and on the floor of the store.
"This is pretty much it. All the big stuff is staying here."
Eiryk 12 years ago
"Coffee is back at the Towers. Mead too if you'd rather."

Eiryk didn't even bat an eyelash at Rue and Christian's entrance, he just offered a bribe. Alex's little fumbling made him grin as he kept his arms lose around Alex. He wasn't trying to flaunt the relationship, he was trying to tempt Rue to find some one he could share something similar with. It didn't have to be forever, just better than a one night stand.

"Mind the kit."

He said casually. Thora never barked at any one on the first or second floors, Eiryk had had taught her that. But let any one so much as set foot on the first step to the third floor and she was fierce. But she was sniffing at both Christian and Rowan quite curiously.

[They are friends you'll see more of them at our new home.]

She yipped her agreement and trotted off but Eiryk caught her watching the other men with unabashed curiosity from a comfortable perch on a box

"Absolutely. Thank you for the help. We would have been at it all night by ourselves. And don't you dare suggest I could have rented a U-Haul."

He chirped at Rowan. Eiryk had toyed with the idea but he didn't want to have to drive the truck or mess with a trailer.

"So... how did you want to do this?"

Eiryk was only half talking about the boxes and the move. He wasn't sure how to bring up vampires and the clan and the towers with Christian about. The security chief hadn't given his OK to let Alex know what he was, or even to let Alex know that he was aware that vampires existed.
"Mind the..." Rowan looked down to see a small fox kit sniffing at his foot. "Aww. Eiryk. You didn't tell me you were pregnant. I'd have bought you a gift."

He crouched down to extend his hand to the little animal but she trotted off and observed him from on top of a box instead. Rowan just smiled, shook his head, and stood. Grinning at Alex he said,
"It's no trouble. Really. Glad to help."

Glad he was used to multi-tasking Rowan addressed the most important person silently.
[I have no idea what he planned. I just know I'm supposed to be damage control. Though, I think Alex is a pretty level-headed guy. I don't think he'll be horribly surprised.]

Rowan thought the quiet, somber Alexander was a perfect match for Eiryk's often-overzealous nature. He seemed to take most surprises in stride and seemed fairly observant even if he didn't comment on what he saw. Rowan really did like him.

Eiryk unknowingly answered Cris. Apparently, Eiryk didn't know how they were going to do this. Rowan could read between the lines, and he knew that distracted look on Eiryk's face. Well, he wasn't going to do Eiryk's job for him and it wasn't Cris's either. He had come to help... not to carry the show himself.

"You tell us, boss," he said, emphasizing the last word. This was all Eiryk. He paraphrased Cris's options. "We can get it all together here and then go, or we can just schlep it all over to Liefde and sort it out when we get there."

It was a little cryptic if one was strictly speaking boxes, but only one person here thought that was the case and he was currently busy trying to swallow down the embarrassment of being caught in a clinch with his boyfriend. Rowan was pretty sure he was safe.
Cris looked at Alex and smiled, shaking his head. "No, you were right the first time. I'm one of...." He looked around at Rowan and Eiryk and made a face, then spoke in a hushed tone. "them." Christian smiled at the man good naturedly for not making assumptions.

He looked around for the kit they were supposed to mind, slightly surprised to find it was an actual live animal and not a first aid kit lying out, an honest mistake with Eiryk around. Rowan cracked about the viking being pregnant and Cris wondered if Eiryk was a savant, obviously his companion seemed less surprised by the little fur ball and attributed its presence to the blond and not Alex. Of course it could just be a quip on his favorite target, Cris was going to continue the sound practice of not making assumptions.

The little fox took a liking to Rowan's shoes and, after checking them both out briefly, went to watch the proceedings from a box.

He silently agreed with his partner, this was Eiryk's show and the man needed to decide how to impart the information he wanted to tell. Personally, since it was brought up now, Christian thought the coffee and conversation had not been such a bad idea but Eiryk had nixed that idea until later.

Shrugging his shoulders, he smiled at the viking and sent to Rowan. [ You make excellent moral support. I think you're right. Alex took the vampire boyfriend thing pretty well and that was probably the toughest to deal with, the most personal. The rest of us... we're extra. And he's already seen that we're all fairly normal, nocturnal lifestyles and feeding habits aside.]
Alex smiled at Thora and moved to pet her when she sat on a box of his clothing. He looked up in surprise at Cris when he openly, calmly admitted to being the same as Eiryk and Rowan. The blond's comment was met with a snort, however, as Alex shook his head. "Oh believe me," he said wryly, "I don't think you're anything like them. Your sense of humor is far more sophisticated."

He flashed a smile at Cris, surprised to be not-surprised at the admission. Alex wasn't stupid. He was rapidly putting facts together. His three closest friends in Nachton were vampires. They all just happened to live in the same apartment complex, where Alexander was about to move.

He sat on the floor next to Thora on her box and looked up at the three of them.
"So, who wants to tell me exactly what I'm moving into?" The wry smile didn't fade from his lips. "Now that you've got me surrounded and helpless, and all that."

It was said with light humor. Alex was surprisingly unconcerned. He'd had enough time, now, to think about Eiryk, and Rowan, to hang out with them, and to understand something of what Eiryk had told him about his family. He was starting to suspect Eiryk had withheld some facts but Alex, frankly, could understand why. Having witnessed firsthand what Eiryk would do, had done, to protect his own identity Alex could not imagine he would risk the safety of his whole race.

So, while it was still a little surreal, Alexander simply waited. He was sure there was more coming. If there were things he needed to know about moving in to Liefde, then he needed to know them. He was less concerned for his own safety at this point and more worried about doing things properly for his friends. He loved Eiryk, obviously, and he really did like both Rowan and Cris. If they were willing to trust him then Alex was willing to do whatever needed to be done to help keep them safe.
Eiryk 12 years ago
"It was sudden and we didn't know what people would think I mean with us not being married you know... but we're registered, you can still get us something."

He shot back while he grinned at his friend and once upon a time occasional lover. God it was good to have Rowan around. The man was... well Rue was Rue he was a goodhearted entertaining companion and one of the best people Eiryk knew. Now if they could just get him settled...

Well now, that made things a whole lot easier. Christian coming out of the closet like that. Eiryk, who was still a bit nervous and had taken to tying knots in a bit of cord he always kept in his pocket, grinned his thanks. He didn't think that Alex would change his mind or run out or anything like that. But, he did want to say something before they got too settled at the towers. That damned punch to the jaw had very effectively taught Eiryk there were some surprises Alex didn't care for.

As his boyfriend sat down, and Thora decided to chew on Alex's hair for no apparent reason, Eiryk unconsciously started in on a particularly complicated knot. But he answered Alex directly and honestly.

"Basically... a vampire strong hold."

He watched carefully to judge Alex's reaction. He'd been smiling when he'd asked the question and Eiryk intended to keep it there.

"You remember I told you about the clans and Evenhet? Well... Evenhet controls Meridian and more than a few of us live and work there. I guarantee you've met more of us than you think."
Rowan chuckled softly. [I wouldn't call Eiryk normal. But then, I wouldn't be a friend if I couldn't rib him. A lot.]

He laughed out loud at Alex's rejoinder to Cris's admission.
"That isn't fair. I can be sophisticated. I just try to relate to Eiryk on his level."

He grinned at Eiryk, always happy to poke fun at him. They'd known each other for so long Rowan didn't think either of them would even be able to give offense to the other if they tried.

When Alex was bluntly up front with them all Rowan shook his head, not surprised to have his opinion of the human confirmed. He didn't know, however, how good Alex's acting skills were. And he'd been asked here for a particular purpose. So he opened himself up and experienced a wave of flame as he read not just Alexander but Eiryk as well.

The more people he pulled in at one time, the more it burned. When he was younger he'd tried it on a whole room, just to see what would happen. Henri had finally managed to wake him up several hours later. Rowan did it now with caution, but he could handle them both even if it was unpleasant. Gritting his teeth against the searing sensation that intensified as it scored down his back he leaned casually against the wall, hiding the expression of pain but much more tense than his position indicated.

He wasn't surprised, really, to find varying levels of nerves and anxiety from both men. Both of them were excited, both of them were anticipating the move. Alex seemed eager but the eagerness was more to do with, huh, go figure, keeping his friends safe. Rowan's respect for the human grew. It was Eiryk who drew his attention, however.

Rowan pushed his empathy down and snuffed the fire out with an act of will. He'd seen what he wanted to see. Having done that he fixed a glamour and thrust it out... onto Eiryk.

Sure, this wasn't what his friend had asked him here for but in Rowan's mind this conversation would go better if Eiryk were able to say what he needed to say calmly and without getting tongue-tied. So Rowan took control of his friend's emotions and wiped away the nervousness he felt, the anxiety. In their place he left serenity and soothing calm, adding to them with a little assertiveness so Eiryk could get out what he needed to. Alex, he left alone. It was completely normal, what they were both feeling. He'd have been worried if Alex weren't a little nervous, a little anxious. And he should be. Rowan did just what he needed to to facilitate ease of conversation. The rest he left up to Eiryk and Alex.

Rowan's eyes had drifted closed while he worked. He opened them and waited for Eiryk to finish speaking before shifting away from the wall to draw Alexander's attention and rolling his eyes.

"Drama, drama," he said. "Stronghold is a bit overdoing it. This is just where our Clan leader makes his home. The city isn't crawling with vampires or anything. You just had the good luck to meet Eiryk and fall for him, and that makes you family."

He would let Eiryk sort out the rest of it. As far as he knew Eiryk intended to make Alex a part of Evenhet. There was no reason for Alex to be a familiar or anything, but he did have to know. He assumed Cris would fill in any details he thought needed to be filled in. Rowan wasn't sure how much Cris cared to divulge about his role within the Clan so he didn't mention any of it.

Really, all he wished for right now was that he and Cris hadn't chosen to uphold this deception... he could stand for a hug. A kiss. A really good tumble to get rid of the minor case of the shakes his little fire-bath had caused. Hopefully he would be able to talk Cris into all three. Later.

((OOC: Permission for empathy on Alex and Eiryk; permission to glamour Eiryk))
[You know I'd tease you about that but Alfarinn seems to be of a similar opinion on what constitutes being a boon companion. I'm just glad he saves his best wit for Artemis.]

Christian smiled at Alex and bowed slightly. "A man of discerning good taste. I knew I liked you."

It would seem the timing for the conversation that Eiryk wanted to have had just been decided by the human. Alex was observant and had sorted the unsaid out pretty much on his own. Cris smirked at the idea that they had him surrounded.

"That's phase one of the plan. You sure you don't want a nice stiff drink first? That's phase two."

Eiryk's choice for approaching the subject was interesting, not the way he might have done it, but the man knew Alex better. It did sound very sinister when put in those words though and he was amused when his partner rolled his eyes.

He agreed with Rowan with a nod of his head. "Stronghold sounds like we have a citadel full of dwarves or perhaps an evil league of undead villains conducting business from behind a set large imposing doors. Actually there are more humans in the Towers than vampires."

His attention was diverted to his companion who tensed beside him. Rowan was very good at covering the look of pain that came with his empathy but it still showed in minor details, the clinched jaw, the small frown, the sheen of sweat across his forehead. Rowan was trembling; it appeared to be worse than usual then.

Cris reached out and wrapped his arms around his partner, holding him close. [You could have just asked me to do it.] To hell with their little joke; he was not going to stand by and do nothing when Rowan was in pain, even if it was minor and of his own choosing. He ran a soothing hand along his lover's back, refusing to let him go.

"Selfless do-gooder." Cris muttered, but with a faint smile that undid the cranky tone. [Are you okay?]
Alex gently pulled Thora away from his hair and gathered her into his arms, petting her gently while he listened to first Eiryk, then Rowan, and then Cris as each in turn tried to reassure him. When they'd each had their say he grinned up at them and then looked at Eiryk.

"That's what you had to tell me? That Liefde is where the lead vampire hangs out?"

When Eiryk had involuntarily revealed his nature to Alex, Alex had assumed vampires were few and far between. But when Rowan had arrived in Nachton not long ago Alex had already begun to wonder how many there were. There couldn't be a lot. He'd had time to think about this... lots of time. And if vampires fed off humans, there simply couldn't be a lot of them in one area. Sure, a city full of humans meant it could support more... especially if, as Eiryk claimed, his particular Clan was interested in working with humans, leaving them unharmed. But they still couldn't support a lot. Alex, in his desire to be the only one to support Eiryk, had done his research and determined that he simply couldn't replenish his own blood often enough. Eiryk had to supplement his diet with blood from other humans.

So, one vampire, two, three, maybe more humans... the math worked out to "not a lot of vampires" in the city no matter how you twisted it.

Alex looked around at the three of them, mostly at Eiryk, who seemed to suddenly relax a little. He didn't stop knotting his cord but he did move over and sit next to Alex, who transferred Thora to him.
"It's okay," he said with a grin, still feeling a little bit of nervous anxiety. "I'm not worried."

Not much. He was a little worried. How would they know Alex was not for public munching? If he moved into a place where more vampires lived, did that make him fair game, or was he off-limits by virtue of the fact that he lived there? He would have to ask.

Alex nodded at Cris.
"There would have to be," he said, at his friend's statement regarding the ratio of humans to vampires. "It's all right though? For me to live there? I don't want to impose. I mean obviously I'm not part of the club, here."

He turned to Eiryk for an answer but was distracted as Cris suddenly turned and... hugged Rowan. Just like that, his entire demeanor switched from pleasantly conversational, maybe a little distant... and then suddenly warm and almost intimate. Alex was completely taken off guard... in a good way.

This conversation thing wasn't so bad, really. What had Eiryk been so worried about?
Eiryk 12 years ago
Suddenly Eiryk felt more relaxed, confidant and he turned to roll his eyes at Rowan. Rowan who suddenly tucked into Christian's arms. Eiryk's eyes bugged out of his head briefly before he smiled brightly and broadly. He was -so- taking credit for this. Sure it wasn't really due but he'd take it just the same. He was going to look forward to grilling Rue and Christian about this later.

"Well strong hold sounded better than corporate headquarters."

He answered the minor mocking with humor. Alex transferred Thora into his arms, forcing him to stop tying knots. The little kit gnawed on his finger for a bit and chattered at him for a moment or two before squirming out of his arms and going to explore Christian.

While he wouldn't admit it, he was grateful for Rue's help here. He needed to calm down and think and all of a sudden he was able to do so.

"Yes, of course it is alright. You're not imposing. I wouldn't have asked if it wasn't legit."

And safe. Alex might see some unusual things while living at the towers but he would be safe. Just as important Eiryk trusted Alex to keep the clan safe just as much as he trusted Alex to keep him safe.

Huh, if he didn't know better Eiryk could swear that Alex was a vampire. He had some creepy conversational flow gift.

He was trying to give Christian and Rowan a bit of privacy, probably the last bit of privacy he'd give them for some time, Eiryk leaned into Alex a little. Just for the sheer enjoyment of feeling Alex next to him.

"Like Rue said you're family now. My family.... I think though we ought to see about you getting a larger more extended family. I know you don't want to be turned and I don't want you to be my familiar but that doesn't mean we can't talk about making you part of the clan."

The -only- way he'd want Alex as a familiar is if Alex wanted it. And even then he'd have reservations. He did, however, mean that about being part of the clan. Granted he'd never done anything like this before and he'd never so much as exchanged a polite greeting with the Elder, but you had to start somewhere didn't you?
Rowan watched with satisfaction as Eiryk went to sit next to Alex, looking at least somewhat less jumpy. He reached up to swipe his hand across his forehead and then suddenly Cris was there as if he'd read Rowan's mind, wrapping his arms around him. Rowan relaxed unconsciously into Cris's embrace, pulling Cris close and giving a sigh of relief.

Closing his eyes as a smile turned up his lips Rowan heard the words and didn't believe the tone, particularly when it was followed by the concerned sending just behind it. He lowered his head and touched his forehead to Cris's for a moment before kissing his lover softly on the lips. [Perfectly fine, dear one.] His tone was cheerful as usual. [Nothing wrong that you haven't already done 75 percent of the fixing.]

Glancing at Eiryk and Alex who sat next to each other, speaking softly, Rowan caught Alex's curious glance. Flashing the human a grin Rowan ducked back out of the shop door into the alcove at the foot of the stairs leading up, pulling Cris with him. Questions or comments would come later. Right now he was going to take advantage of the minor distraction by grabbing a few moments with Cris.

Leaning against the wall and gathering Cris close once more, Rowan leaned into his partner's arms.
"Sorry," he said softly. "I just didn't know what I was going to do before I did it. I had to look at them both, and honestly, it was Eiryk who needed the help more."

He shrugged, keeping his voice down to a low murmur. Cris could verify that for himself and probably had, before Rowan's glamour.
"It was just convenient."

Slumping against the wall, perfectly relaxed now that his empathy had faded, Rowan took the opportunity to kiss Cris properly, long, deep, gently, full of promise for later. He appreciated that Cris cared. Worried that his actions had worried his partner; that certainly wasn't his intent.
"I didn't mean to cause you concern."

With one last brush of his lips against Cris's Rowan leaned forward and craned his neck around the doorway, still clinging to his partner.
"Well, did you teach him the secret handshake yet?"
He smiled at Alex and answered. "Its more than alright. Its wonderful news. We love having humans around who are understanding and willing to work and live with us. You should be perfectly safe at the Towers, every being there, human or vampire, should be respected by the others. If you ever have any troubles then come to me and I will see to it, personally."

Cris was glad to hear that Rowan was alright. He knew that his partner would be but he hated to see Rowan in agony, even briefly. The very idea that his lover had to feel as though he were burning was enough worry him each and every time Rowan used his empathy. It made him sad that such a useful ability always caused his partner so much pain.

[Well we'll just have to see what we can do about making that 100 percent better.]

He found himself being pulled around a corner and Christian chuckled softly, despite going very willingly. He leaned against Rowan's long lean frame, holding him close once more.

Listening to his lover's explanation for why he chose to use his empathy, Cris nodded, squeezing Rowan a little tighter as he said. "Its okay, I understand."

Relaxing into the kiss that Rowan gave him, Cris returned the tender embrace with eagerness, pressing closer still, questing with his lips and tongue as if they could soothe away the remaining hurt that might still cling to his partner's memory. When they parted again and Rowan apologized, Cris shook his head. "Its alright. I worry but its only because I care. It shouldn't stop you from doing what you need to do." And as long as Rowan was fine afterward then he would be as well.

He leaned contentedly against his partner's chest as Rowan leaned forward enough to peer inside the shop and speak to the other two.
Alexander had no time to respond to Cris before he disappeared around the corner with Rowan. He wasn't exactly surprised at the two of them... not alot. A little, and pleasantly. Eiryk had spoken to Alex about wanting to hook Rowan up with someone. Well, it appeared that Cris and Rowan had been pulling the wool over their eyes.

Turning his attention back to Eiryk with a smile Alex listened to his boyfriend.
"So... you want me to be part of your Clan. A part of Evenhet?"

He could do that. He thought about it quietly for a few moments before reaching out and taking Eiryk's hand.
"You are my family Eiryk. If Evenhet is your family then they're mine too by extension."

Alex took a deep breath.
"I love you. I knew something like this might happen when I learned about you, about your Clan. If I can be part of it without having to... you know. Be like you. Then I want to."

He squeezed Eiryk's hand.
"I'm in this with you. All the way."

Right around then Rowan stuck his head back in and asked Eirk about a secret handshake. Alex laughed softly. He liked Rowan. He liked Cris, too. He suddenly had a home and friends and he didn't care who they were. They were the first people who had accepted Alex for himself. Without trying to change him. Maybe it was because they lived a lifestyle that society viewed as just as unacceptable as his own homosexuality. Worse, he guessed. His problem was far more common and completely fine in certain communities.

Whatever the reason he wanted to stay with them. All of them.

"No handshake," he called to Rowan in response. "He's still waiting for me to freak out and slug him again."

Instead, Alex just leaned forward and kissed Eiryk softly on the lips.
Eiryk 12 years ago
He beamed at Christian's support. That should settle that. Eiryk would fill Alex in on exactly who Christian was later. Security or not though Eiryk was genuinely pleased to have inherited the other man as a friend. Granted Eiryk had a bit of a habit of collecting people, Alex accused him of knowing everyone, but Christian was in the process of wandering into a smaller group of people Eiryk was kept a little closer. And from the looks of things that was all for the best.

Eiryk still wanted to jump up and down and dance at the idea of Rue and Christian. And he wanted details. Not -details- but... well...At any rate he let them slip off for a second or two.

He sighed and relaxed against Alex a little bit. That was exactly what he wanted to hear. The idea of family was very seductive. That was part of the reason he spent time in the monasteries with Angus, that's part of the reason he liked being around the clan so much and it was a huge reason he was so happy to live with Alex. He'd lived with other lovers but... not like this. It had always been more for convenience. This was different. He squeezed Alex's hand back.

"Love you too. Good that will be perfect."

He was about to pull Alex into his arms when Rue had to speak up. To think he used to like the man. And as he opened his mouth to snark back at Rowan but Alex beat him to it. Worse than that Alex had to bring -that- up. With any luck Christian had Rue so distracted that he might not pick up on the whole punching thing. He tried very hard to not notice the comment.

"Retinal scans Rue. Handshakes are so 18th century. I'm sure IT is working on that."

Alex's kiss was soft but welcome and Eiryk returned it without thinking. It would have turned into something more but he was aware they had a potential audience. So he just said in a -very- low voice to Alex, but with a good natured yet long suffering grin on his face.

"You know I am -never- going to hear the end of that now."
Rowan only loved Cris more with every word. All of his understanding, his acceptance, was the fulfillment of what Rowan wanted and needed in his life, all contained in Cris. All right there in his arms.

Rowan's kiss was returned with complete perfection as they used their short moment to its fullest. Rowan smoothed his hands over Christian's back and sighed when they broke away.
"You're so wonderful to me." He meant it; Cris's caring made him feel like he could experience any number of fires.

He thought nothing of it when they continued to cling together even as he bantered with Eiryk from the doorway. This was how he and Cris were meant to be; holding each other, twined together.

He focused on Alex's response, his brows raising up. He glanced back at Cris, grinning, and then back at his friend's human lover.
"You slugged him?"

Rowan looked at Cris again.
"We've got to hear this." He wrapped his arm around Cris's waist and went back into Alexander's store with him again, keeping his lover close since the cat was out of the bag.

He watched both Alex and Eiryk, noting Eiryk's seeming embarrassent. It was hard to do; Eiryk was so used to making a spectacle of himself with his amazing falls that it was pretty hard to rattle him.

"I have to know. Why did you punch him. And where. And how hard." Rowan couldn't keep a little bit of wicked glee from his voice. He was sure he and Cris were going to catch hell from Eiryk so he may was well start building up his ammunition now.
Cris smiled at Rowan before they headed back into the shop where the other two men were. He leaned against his partner and smiled at the other two as Rowan asked about this freaking out and slugging that apparently happened at some point in the past.

"Well my guess would be that the 'coming' out of the coffin didn't go so well. Hence the..." He twisted around enough to lightly punch Rowan on the shoulder. [My guess would be that's why he's been really nervous about this explanation. The first one didn't go so well?]

Smiling at Alex, he said. "I think he's next going to ask you if you managed to get it on video. Or if you'd be willing to do it again in front of a live studio audience."

Turning to Eiryk, he said. "As far as it goes, fingerprint scanners are far more practical." In fact he had one on his own home and his office, though it would be difficult for anyone to get past MARI. Cris wondered if Alex had spoken to the AI yet but, as often as he spent time with Eiryk, he must have by now.
Alex smiled innocently at Eiryk. "Well... maybe I'll keep it to myself. Maybe."

Rowan's curiosity was amusing. Alex didn't feel like he could willingly divulge his information without exacting some sort of price.
"What's it worth to you?"

Then, raising his eyebrows, he turned to Eiryk.
"And what is it worth to you to keep it to myself?"

It was rare for Alex to be so mischievous but he was in a good mood. While he let them ponder this battle he looked at his boxes and then finally stood, smiling at Christian.
"He didn't really come out of it, so much as get forced out of it. So I'm guessing he'd rather it had gone differently."

He laughed softly at Cris's guess at Rowan's next question.
"Neither, I'm afraid. He'll just have to be content with a general retelling... if he comes up with something tempting enough to make me spill it."

Looking at all three of his friends Alex shrugged.
"So what do I need to do to be official? Aside from the fingerprints, the retinal scans, the forms filled out in triplicate... and all that."

He was willing. More than willing. He was happy to be a part of this, to belong to something bigger than himself. It was a little intimidating, maybe a little frightening. He wasn't dumb; he'd listened to Eiryk and he knew it wasn't all happy fuzzy warm feelings. But he figured he was safer being a part of things than not, and while he didn't know what sort of weight Christian's reassurance had, the way the man had said it was... comforting. The words were not empty reassurances. He'd ask Eiryk later; grilling Cris seemed rude. It didn't matter, after all, what he did. He was Alex's friend and Alex would hesitate to dump troubles on his lap because of that. He appreciated the support though.