Your Own Mind's Prisoner (private)

Xeph woke himself up screaming for the third hour in a row. This was getting ridiculous. He sat on the edge of his bed (well, his mattress) and pressed his forehead into the palms of his hands.

In he two days since his meeting with the jackal-vampire, he'd managed to mostly heal up from the wounds inflicted upon him, the physical ones anyway. But he couldn't do anything about the mental ones.

He hadn't known vampires could do that - get into your head like that, make you do things. Or not do them. Sure as the sun was shining this morning, however, Xeph was incapable of talking about what had happened to him. He couldn't even say it to himself. Every time he tried, the commands of an evil, silken voice drifted into his head and reminded him - no, no, no. Bad doggy. It's our secret.

So many things were confusing now, things Xeph had thought he'd laid to rest. Liam had known about this man. He'd known about him, and hadn't been able to say a word about him! It didn't excuse everything he'd done wrong in his life, but it explained some of it - sort of. Knowing it made nothing better, though. Now Xeph had to face what Liam had feared so much, and Xeph was singularly unappreciative of that.

He also had to send his mother away. Or keep her here, strictly inside the confines of the Den. She'd be safe here. She had to be safe here, of all places!

Nikhila 14 years ago
Nikhila woke with a start from a rather nasty nightmare. Sitting in bed, she sighed and shook her head. If you were, to ask her she would most likely tell you her restless dreams were inherited from Xeph but they were certainly not as bad as his and she’d learned to cope with them more or less. Not enjoy them you understand, but cope with them.

Right now, however, she didn’t feel like coping well at least not on her own. She quickly made up her mind to go and visit Aidan. It wasn’t as if she wanted to talk to him about the dream or anything so silly, but just being near him would be relaxing. Besides, it was the weekend and she didn’t feel a pressing need to go be production. That, at least, was her official line and all she would admit to; she also wanted to check up on him.

It was slightly unusual for him to come home rather beat up and while he’d managed to explain it away and had healed nicely, it had worried her slightly. Not enough to get dramatic or obsessive about, but slightly, but as nearly every time he went out in an official capacity she worried just a bit Nikhila was learning to live with the worry and didn’t burden him with it.

Of course, she didn’t really need all those reason either. She simply missed him.

Nikhila pulled on a robe, but even with the morning chill didn’t bother with socks or slippers, and padded across the hall to his door and knocked softly. She was counting on the relatively early hour to keep her from gaining too much notice as she was in her pajamas and her hair was loose and tousled. Not generally the image she projected.
Xeph 14 years ago
The knock on his door startled him out of his bad humor; there was only one person who would knock on his door at this time of the morning. In fact, there was really only one person who knocked on his door at all, especially that softly. Anyone else would have been here in an emergency and either knocked the door down, or pounded on it.

Still, it was worth putting boxers on. Just in case. Doing so, Xeph staggered and half-hopped across his bedroom, managing to partially clothe himself just as he reached the front door.

Opening it revealed Nikhila, as he expected, and he nodded her in with a smile and a kiss.
"Hey."

He watched her enter, taking note of her disheveled appearance. "Rough night?"
Nikhila 14 years ago
Taking note of the sounds behind his door, she decided he was in and she wasn’t waking him. That was a positive. He also let her in, another positive.

She smiled somewhat sleepily and softly returned the kiss before shuffling in and curling up in one corner of the sofa.

“Not the best ever, but certainly not the worst. I’ll live.”

About that time, Nikhila took a good hard, but discreet, look at him and decided he was none the worse for wear. Although given his look he’d been trying to sleep and that rarely went well.

“But I thought you could use some company.”
Xeph 14 years ago
"I'm sorry."

Closing the door once more Xeph padded across the room to throw his large frame onto the couch, bouncing Nikhila up a little bit. He settled back with his head resting against her legs and his own feet dangling over the side.

"I can always use your company." Just as long as she didn't ask him questions he inexplicably couldn't answer. A nap would have been nice too, and that was a testament to his own sleep deprivation. He generally avoided sleeping when possible, but he was only human - sort of - and did require rest. Only tonight, it didn't seem like he was going to be able to get any. His brain was feverishly trying to figure out the mystery of the jackal-shaped vampire.

He took his mind off it by tilting his head up to look at Nikhila.
"Something in particular on your mind, or just the usual 'Xeph Gifted me and now I'm a wreck' sort of thing?" He gave her a winning grin; they joked on and off about the fact that his chronic insomnia seemed to have affected Nikhila too, who as far as he knew had slept just fine before he Gifted her. Xeph was willing to take the blame for that.
Nikhila 14 years ago
Some day he was going to break the furniture, she thought as Xeph landed a bit on the hard side. Not totally awake Nikhila had no objection to just a bit of snuggling and pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and managed to toss it mostly over him. She managed to get her feet under it, while leaving his hanging out, without jostling Aidan too much. That accomplished Nikhila was now officially content to stay settled her for quite some time.

“Good.”

She said with a wry sleepy smile before letting her head fall back against the sofa fully prepared to doze off. His question was a bit unexpected, not entirely though.

“No, no reason. It is simply too early to be awake and it was too quiet in my rooms.”

The nightmare that had woken her had been about her brother, those were always the worst and could leave her quiet shaken. So that statement was partially true. The rest they would work out as they lounged here. Maybe there was nothing to work out.

“What are you doing up this early?”

She asked the question with lazy humor knowing full well how little he actually slept.
Xeph 14 years ago
Shamelessly using Nikhila as his pillow, Xeph wrapped his arms around her waist and tickled her sides gently before sighing happily and closing his eyes. As she dragged the blanket over him he chuckled at her irony-loaded question.

Not opening his eyes he responded,
"I wanted to get up early and do some housework. Then I thought I'd roast a chicken, make a five course dinner, all before getting the jump on my Christmas shopping."

He said it with a mostly straight face, and then added, "Well that's what I would have been doing. But now that you're here I've decided to revise my plans. I know how much you hate my cooking."
Nikhila 14 years ago
The little tickle earned him a sleepy giggle and a bit of a wriggle as she half-heartedly tried to get away. Apparently, he was OK with a nap she thought as she watched him close his eyes. Nikhila brushed his hair out of his eyes and lightly rubbed a shoulder before closing her eyes as well.

She softly barked a laugh at his ‘To Do’ list. It all sounded –so- very logical… … for some other man.

“If there is any cooking to be done I think I’ll do it. But do feel free to elaborate on this Christmas shopping idea.”

Even the idea of Christmas shopping hadn’t occurred to her. Maybe this year she’d make a point to try and enjoy the season a bit typically she was too busy or too far from the Pack to do so.

“Maybe we should get you a tree or put a big one up in one of the comment areas. It might be nice.”

Or it might be knocked down, chewed up or eaten. It was an idea any way.
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph's head shot up as he realized what he'd said, and what Nikhila had repeated.

"Holy shit. It's December isn't it."

He dropped his head back down to Nikhila's leg, face down, completely muffling his voice.

"You'm wite. We neefa free."

And he supposed he did need to do some Christmas shopping. He didn't exactly want to be distracted from everything else that was going on right now, but it would be churlish of him to completely disregard the gift-giving season just because he was under a reasonable amount of personal stress.

Ugh. And then there would be charity events. And he'd have to attend them unless his mother let him off the hook; with her here in Nachton she could attend most of them herself. But she'd be vulnerable if she was alone, he reminded himself. Maybe Hammer...?

There was way too much to consider. He groaned into Nikhila's leg and did a passable impression of a mournful sob.
Nikhila 14 years ago
His rather shocked realization jerked Nikhila out of her semi-doze and made her laugh at him.

It was a touch hard to understand him as he tried to talk through her leg, but she’d learned to translate. Nikhila shook her head at him and gently patted his back in a ‘there-there’ manner.

“I’ll take care of it. Get me a shopping list and I’ll even pick out gifts for you.”

She knew he’d be busy things hadn’t settled down with the Pack and the attacks yet so Aidan had that to work on still and then there would be all that went into keeping up his image etc. So offering to help required no thought. She couldn’t help with what he was dealing with as far as the Pack, nor was she much help with charity events but this she could do.

“I might still make you help me decorate your tree though.”
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph turned his head so his words could be more easily understood, although he was impressed at Nikhila's skills at translation. Shaking his head he said, "No way love. Not that I don't appreciate the offer but you're not my secretary, and I'm not filing Christmas away under 'things I can't be bothered with.'"

Yeah the timing was crappy but that wasn't Christmas' fault. And he was lucky to have family around him to help him deal with things, even if he was inexplicably unable to talk to them about what those things were.

"We can go shopping together. It's not as if the mall isn't open twenty-four seven."

Even if he had to squeeze it in in lieu of a 3 am nap, Xeph would manage to go shopping, preferably with Nikhila along. And whoever else wanted to come (Lily), because there was safety in numbers, right?

"You can help me find a nice big tree for the Den though," Xeph said, "if you really want to. And we'll all decorate it."
Nikhila 14 years ago
“The term ‘secretary’ is dated and sexist.” She teased him. “And did I say I would let you totally off the hook? You can make some eggnog.”

Nikhila had –no- idea what went in eggnog or even if she liked it, but it had something to do with the holiday.

“And if you still feel guilty after that you can make sure there is a temporary administrative assistant stipend in my check.”

She was a little tiny miniscule bit hurt he’d turned down her offer of help, but couldn’t really fault him. The holidays weren’t the same if you didn’t engage in all the odd details and traditions at least a little bit. Although, she could do with out the trip to the mall and cringed as he mentioned it.

“Maybe we could just do some on line shopping. It might be early enough that we wouldn’t have to pay for overnight shipping and nothing says Christmas like the whole family huddled around a computer screen.”

She suggested hopefully.

The idea of every one decorating the tree made her smile. It would probably be very difficult to get the whole Pack in one place at one time but every one could contribute.

“Perhaps everyone could add an ornament that speaks to who they are or where they are from.”

The idea wasn’t totally her own. She’d been inspired by the idea of all the different types of stone in the Hall of Echoes. It would be a nice parallel and perhaps a good way for people to get to know each other.
Xeph 14 years ago
"I'm okay with being dated and sexist," Xeph said with a leer. "The point was, though, that we'll do it together. Isn't that what the holidays are for?"

Inside his head it was as if another person was screaming at Nikhila to warn her about vampires, to tell her to beware. That this cozy early-morning domestic scene was entirely wrong and there was currently a danger lurking behind the shadows she needed to know about. None of those words made it past his mouth though. Instead, a pair of dark, dark eyes and a hypnotic voice filled his mind, reminding him of their little secret, reminding him that he couldn't say a damn thing.

He shook his head and laughed at her reaction to the mall. He should have expected that.
"Okay. We can do some online shopping. Together though!"

Her idea about the Christmas tree ornaments was one he liked. "I think that's great," he said. "And it needs lights. And shiny things."

And we need to find this vampire and kill him. Kill him! The thought entered Xeph's head unbidden. Yes, maybe that was the solution. The Pipers couldn't help; not if Xeph couldn't adequately explain himself. But Xeph wasn't exactly a weakling. And in the end, if it meant losing information about Liam to save the living, what did it matter?

Pleased with this solution, Xeph turned his attention back to Nikhila, nodding at the idea of a tree once more and closing his eyes.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“Does that mean you’re asking me out?”

It took some effort to get an invitation out of dated and sexist but if he took her on a date… well.

She stretched and yawned, speaking through the yawn.

“Together is good even without the holiday.”

The fact that he agreed to her online shopping suggested brought a sigh of relief and earned him half a hug. The stores might be pretty all decked out for Christmas but Nikhila had no desire to tangle with the crowds and madness. Although, maybe if they went at a ridiculous hour. Why was so much in this city open twenty-four hours any way? She’d not encountered that anywhere else.

Lights and shiny things? Nikhila groaned.

“We aren’t going to get out of the trip to the mall entirely are we, no mater how we try this. Trees first though.”

She said firmly.

Of course, there were other holiday celebrations they should probably address but she wasn’t awake enough to come up with any good ideas off the top of her head.
Xeph 14 years ago
"I thought I already asked you to be my girlfriend? Doesn't that imply dating and going out and stuff?"

Sooner or later Nikhila was going to smack him, and he couldn't say he didn't rightly deserve it. Nonetheless Xeph couldn't help giving her a hard time. He'd done so from the moment he first realized her skin was thick enough to handle it.

His mind traveled back, some thirty years or so, to their first meeting. he smiled impishly up at her.
"So the woman who faced down a pack of wolves by herself is afraid of the mall? The woman who walked all over India and planned to walk to China?"

He shook his head in mock disappointment. "Boy, I didn't expect you to get so soft."

Xeph poked her in her distinctly not soft, but rather nicely-toned, stomach.
"Shows what I know."

Once again he felt vaguely discomfited, knowing he should be doing something but also aware that his hands were tied. This was very unsettling. It would all get better when the jackal-vampire was dead.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“And I love you for it. You know I adore implied and impromptu as well but once in a while an explicit invitation is nice too.”

She shot back with an roguish grin. Honestly, she didn’t need a ‘date’, but it was fun to tease him about it.

It was so long ago! But of course he would remember, she did. The memory of how naïveté and how sheltered she’d been made Nikhila closer her eyes and gently shake her head. It was a wonder he got her out of the convent!

“In all fairness I didn’t –quite- face them down, they attacked me. And I do seem to remember being rescued both from a hungry pack of wolves and from my own ideas of walking to China. Are you planning on rescuing me from Christmas at the mall as well? Besides, I’m getting old.”

The poke, which caught her both by surprise and in a slightly ticklish area madder her giggle just briefly before she swatted his shoulder with a bit of force. He was a big boy and tough besides, he could handle it.

“OK then Father Christmas. To the mall we go. You name the day and time and I will show you how unafraid I am.”

They could go right then and there if he wanted, although she was still hopping to squeeze in a nap. But she’d thrown down a gauntlet and wouldn’t back down now.
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph was going to have to offer an explicit invitation sometime soon, then. Every once in a while he forgot that such things were required. It wasn't that he thought he was insensitive... he wasn't, really. Was he? He just got busy. And things like personal relationships went out the window.

"Today, then. Later this morning." They could go shopping during the day; he wanted to be vigilant at night. When the sun was out, though, he need not fear her safety or Lily's; or anyone's for that matter. By evening they would be back at the Den surrounded by the Pipers.

Nikhila's words had a profound impact on him though.
"Old?" He felt a thread of alarm. "You're not old Nikhila."

He remembered with vivid clarity once more their first few months of knowing each other. Xeph wasn't a believer in love at first sight but he'd fallen for Nikhila within a few weeks. And in that time, when they were alone in the world, he with a newly-Gifted and beautiful Were by his side, she just discovering the newly-opened world before her eyes, they had discussed everything. Every secret, every desire.

And then, before they'd had time to realize all of those dreams everything had changed. They had gone all wrong, and he'd been left without her. Because he was busy. Because he'd forgotten to remind her how much she meant to him. Still meant to him now. He'd never met anyone who could take Nikhila's place. In truth, he hadn't looked hard. He had thought of her as his mate then, and he still considered her his mate now.

Don't push her away again, a voice in his head said.

Xeph wrapped his arms tighter around Nikhila and hugged her fiercely.
"I love you. It'll be a good Christmas."
Nikhila 14 years ago
Nikhila did a slight double take, mentally cringed at the idea of going to the mall during the Christmas season and on a weekend, but ultimately shook her head with a soft good humored smile. If she was going to issue open ended suggestions she needed to be prepared for the results. And she couldn't back down now!

"Fair enough, I think you should make a list though. I can't see either of us having fun aimlessly wandering though this place."Â?

She certainly didn't look her age, Nikhila agreed with that. But she wasn't young any more. Perhaps she was more sensitive to it as she had seen a picture of one of her brothers in a journal recently and the small two line bio mentioned his family. She wouldn't say that aloud though. Nikhila knew she'd done a terrible thing by disappearing on Aiden all those years ago. It meant the world to her that he'd forgiven her and was giving her the chance for them to learn -how- to be a couple. To understand that just because they couldn't be together all the time and she couldn't help with much of his work they were still committed to each other. She'd not be messing this up again by trying to rush things.

As his arms tightened around her again she smiled and ran her fingers through his hair. He'd seemed more worried about her since the killings. Nikhila was certain they must be affecting him more than he was willing to admit. She, in turn, was worried about the toll the not knowing was taking on him. Her arms move from his hair to wind around him in a loose embrace, she wished she could protect him from some of what was bothering him.

It wasn't often she reverted to her native language, but this morning she did.

"And I love you. It will be the best Christmas because we will be together."Â?

How many holidays did they have to make up? Too many. It was good to get a start on it now.

((OOC... Red will be Hindi))
Xeph 14 years ago
"List? What do we need a list for? We just need a credit card." Shopping was not high on Xeph's list of nurtured skills; he had never claimed it to be and never would.

The gentle sounds of Nikhila's native Hindi warmed him, continuing to remind him of the few idyllic weeks they'd had together up to and just after her Gifting. Still the best thing to ever come from India, he thought to himself.

"They'll all be 'best' Christmases," he said. He sat up a bit and leaned over, brushing her tousled hair away from her face so he could kiss her. After, he pulled her to him, switching their positions on the couch so she rested between his legs, up against his chest.

"Stay here with me," he requested softly. "I know how you feel about being tied down, but do you think maybe this time, it could be forever?"

Nikhila had always valued her freedom, had always been wary of being forced to stay in one place. When they'd met he had promised never to restrict her, but he couldn't really leave Nachton and he wanted her with him. Always. That had never changed.

"I don't mean just in the Den," he clarified softly. "Let's make a home together. Not across the hall, not even in separate rooms unless you can't stand my noise. Just be with me. That's what I want for Christmas."

Had he pushed her too far? He dropped his lips to her head and kissed her hair softly, his arms tightening a little bit. She'd been back for several years now, and the past was behind them wasn't it? Xeph wasn't sure if he could handle her leaving again. He didn't want to force her, but she was right in a way. They weren't getting any younger. At one point they'd both wanted a family and a life together. Did she love him enough, still, to want it now, or did she feel they'd missed their chance?
Nikhila 14 years ago
She rolled her eyes at his cavalier attitude.

“-I’ll- make you a list.”

She was happy enough to let him rearrange then and nestled up against his chest. His Hindi had gotten better over the years and he seemed to be keeping in practice. Nikhila wasn’t vain enough to think he’d worked on the language for her, but she was flattered and it did give her a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nikhila was just about to make a flip comment about how if they stayed there forever they wouldn’t get to the mall or get anything at all done. It was fortunate she didn’t speak up right away.

As it was she frowned, thinking her mouth opened and closed a few times and finally she rolled so that she could face him. To see if he was serious. He was, he’d not joke about something like this.

He really was asking her to live with him. Of course! Of course she wanted that. Without a doubt. Some days it could physically hurt not to simply pick up and start another adventure. But she couldn’t leave him either. He knew she’d have to travel some, it would be impossible not to but they could work that out. She had no issues making Nachton and Aidan a permanent base. If she -had- to travel, they could go together. She would find away around that obstical.

“It will be very difficult to put a bow on this present… but yes. Absolutely yes.”
Xeph 14 years ago
When Nikhila responded quickly and positively, Xeph let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. He spread his broad hands around her waist and lifted her up higher so she was looking down at him. He smiled brightly up at her then brought her back down, kissing her soundly and crushing her into a bear hug.

"I still need you," he murmured into her hair. He'd needed her way back then; hell, he'd needed her for the past thirty-five years, when she was nowhere to be found.

If nothing else, the recent deaths in the Pack had made him realize that he couldn't take things for granted. Maybe Nikhila realized it too. Oh, he knew she would always have the urge to see things. But she would come back to him. She would never stay away so long again. He knew if she gave her word she would keep it.

It was no small bit surprising that even in light of the horrible things that had been going on around them, he still managed to feel an emotion he could only describe as elation at knowing she who he had always considered his mate was finally ready to acknowledge that fact. Permanently. Maybe they'd come to it a little bit later in life, but they were young yet; the fifties for their kind was just a third of their expected lifespan; they were no more behind the track than many of their Illamar friends.

Xeph pulled away to allow Nikhila to breathe, kissing her again and again, happily stroking her back and letting his fingers dive into her lovely fall of hair. She was his, still his, and he wasn't about to let her go.