Late night chat

Thaddeus pushed open the manhole cover and climbed out into the humid, sticky air. It was at least reasonably fresh, as city air went, and open. It took a weight off his chest, and he leaned back his head, tilting his neck back until he could see dim stars overhead through the clouds and city lights. He absently peeled off his gloves, finding them uncomfortable; the dog slobber and dampness of the sewers made them feel sticky on his hands.

Really Thaddeus, you look completely undignified.

He found, to his surprise, he only cared a very little bit. He was warm and sweaty already in this humidity, he had emerged from the depths of the sewers, he was wearing an absolutely ridiculous outfit, and Arin was about to join him.

There was something alright about that.

Hearing the Evenhet emerge from the sewer behind him, but not turning his head from the stars, he spoke.

I think there's another way to go about this.

Alfarinn 18 years ago
Once out of the sewers and seeing Thaddeus standing still for a moment, Alfarinn reached up and undid the tie that held back his hair. He really wasn't fond of it being bound unless it was a necessity. The pull of it on the back of his neck was a constant irritant besides it simply felt better free.

Alfarinn watched the blonde in front of him lean back to look at the sky and marveled that such a gesture didn't topple the Anantya over backwards. Perhaps, Thaddeus was far less incapacitated than he thought.

He smiled faintly, even drunk the man was thinking about something.

"Another way to go about what, Thaddeus?"
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Seeing that he had the Evenhet's attention but not knowing how to give him a direct answer, Thaddeus made a shaking gesture with his hands.

We've been going at this from the bottom up.

Realizing that he wasn't making sense, but still caught up in his own idea, he began walking, looking every so often to make sure Arin was with him, and speaking rapidly. He strode without his usual grace, still somewhat tipsy but mostly simply feeling excited about his plan. About telling Alfarinn about his plan, and the two of them poking a million holes into it until they got it right.

See, I was thinking, just now, when we came outside, about what you said in the club. About being free, you know? And I was thinking about how freeing...I don't know, being certain in you, and surviving that whole mess with the clothes and the grabbing and the dog, and finally being out in the open air with the stars above me and how there was just -more right than wrong- in that. And I was thinking, this sounds stupid, I was thinking about how it was sort of like being a dove. And that's how I got the idea.

We've been going into the sewers, down below, to access the House of Pain, right? Because we saw the House of Pain when we sensed the ring together, and there seemed to be a connection there, and we should still do that, it's a good plan, but Arin, we didn't -see- it from below; we saw it through an apartment window. If I can -remember- that view well enough, if I can keep that picture in my mind of what it looked like, I know this sounds crazy, but I can turn into a dove. I can become a dove and fly up to the apartments, and try to match that view.

I know this is a long shot, it's a big long shot, but after seeing the club tonight, how crowded it was, how many people, I think this approach is just as good.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. So I try and match that view, and when I see something that looks like a possibility, I tell you, right there and then, and you...hell, I don't know how we would do this, if we had a map...damn, this is going to be slow. I was thinking you could note which apartment windows I'm near when I see something...

That part isn't fleshed out yet. We'll figure this out, I know we will.

Thaddeus blinked. He wasn't used to having to share his disordered thoughts with someone else, before they had been carefully journaled and footnoted and completely planned. He was rambling, he was still tipsy, but even now he couldn't stop himself, he -had- to get this idea out.

So we find the apartment, or at least a shorter list. And then...hell, we break down some doors, I don't know, that part isn't fleshed out yet, but it's a start.

He was surprised to see that suddenly they were standing outside the door of the apartment. In fact, he realized, they'd been standing there for a bit. Just a little embarrassed that he had allowed himself to go on that long, he fumbled the key and opened the door.

Come on.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn walked along with Thaddeus listening to this divine inspiration. It had merit. In fact it just made a great deal of sense. Perhaps getting the Anantya drunk had its uses besides getting to hold onto him when he was tipsy.

Only a portion of his mind was paying attention to this fast paced revelation, however. The rest was playing the words "being certain in you" over and over again in his head. It would seem some good had come from their little adventure. Thaddeus trusted him, though Alfarinn no longer trusted himself. Certainly, not to behave in a rational objective fashion where the handsome blonde in front of him was concerned. This situation was bound to cause them some difficulties, he knew that from the start but having feelings for someone that wasn't a part of his clan was beyond what he had expected.

Not that it mattered. It didn't because nothing was going to come of it. It would just make him miserable but he could endure that in silence while they continued this mission and then they'd go their separate ways and probably rarely speak to each other again. That thought was so unbearable all the sudden that Alfarinn stopped walking as if it were a destination that he was headed towards and that by stopping here in the street he could make it not happen.

Alfarinn realized he was being stupid and moved quickly to catch up to his companion.

He walked into the apartment and waited on Thaddeus to close the door.
Thaddeus closed the door quickly behind Arin and punched in the security code. He then walked briskly through the still empty living room to his bedroom, still talking. As he walked, he fiddled with the clasp to the collar, trying to remove it from his neck.

I suppose the main drawbacks are having to track down the apartment numbers and knowing what to do once we have a list. I mean, breaking down doors isn't really a very viable option...Arin, could you possibly?

Finally coming to a stop inside the bedroom, Thaddeus turned and gestured to the worrisome clasp of the collar.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn followed behind Thaddeus knowing the conversation was not ended. He stopped in the doorway to the bedroom and waited. Seeing Thaddeus point to the collar, he nodded.

"Of course."

After all, you were the one that put it on him. Alfarinn walked over and undid the collar, sliding it off the Anantya's neck. He held it in his hand staring at it absently for a moment before focusing on what Thaddeus was saying.

"I could get maps of the buildings from the city records, we could then upload those onto the computer and I could mark which ones look promising. After that... hmm. Alfarinn looked down thoughtfully, rubbing the collar absently with his fingers. " There are cameras that are quite small these days. You could perhaps fly up and place them in a window. We could keep a watch on the most likely houses for our suspects.
Thaddeus rubbed his neck where the collar had been. It seemed like days since he had felt Arin's cool fingers clasp it into place, and he couldn't help but think about how much had changed between then and now.

He sat down on the bed, leaning against the far post, and looked up at Arin, listening intently. He frowned as the Evenhet explained how he could get and use maps of the area, frustrated that he understood so little about the technology described. Really, he should be relieved that Arin had a solution to that particular problem, but it bothered Thaddeus on some level that they weren't on the same wavelength with this.

The cameras, however, he understood well enough indeed. The Order of the Night had used such devices before, and he mentally slapped his forehead when he realized he could have been planting the smaller cameras as a dove. He beamed at the Evenhet.

This could really work. The details aren't all there, but this really could work.

We make quite a team.

Thaddeus had not felt better since this adventure started. He remembered when he believed meeting Arin was an odd twist of fate, but now he saw the rightness in it; here was someone who -inspired- him.

The catch, he reasoned, is the attraction. He enjoyed feeling close to the man, connecting with him, whether it be working out a plan or simply talking or...yes, touching him, feeling the weight of him, fitting so perfectly inside his arms.

He could handle that, though. As long as he could share this, he could manage.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Thaddeus rub his neck absently and felt guilty for the whole situation that would give him reason to feel better now that the collar was off and the event was over with.

"It is an excellent plan, Thaddeus." He smiled faintly "Yes, we do seem to do well together."

Nothing really surprising there. Emma always did have excellent taste. They had always loved the same things, worked well together. Is it any wonder then that he should feel attracted to Thaddeus? Emma considered him worth preserving for all eternity, loved him enough to want to share her immortality with him. She expected to live for ages with this man and be happy. Alfarinn was coming to the same conclusion. He could live quite content with the Anantya for the rest of his unnaturally long days.

You don't even -know- him that well. Stop being ridiculous.

He ran his hands through his hair to clear his thoughts and focus on this new plan.

"There aren't really very many holes in it that I see. Details to work out but that is easily done."
Thaddeus felt his eyes widen and swallowed hard. It was one thing to understand the situation, accept the attraction, and move on intellectually, but it all seemed to go out the window when Arin ran his fingers through that hair. Somehow he felt that all of this discussion could be happening just as easily with their arms around each other, his hand in Arin's hair, his head on Arin's shoulder.

But that wasn't going to happen.

The man could at least sit next to him though. There was no harm in that, surely.

Please, sit down.

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

How exactly would we go about getting these maps from the records?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn nodded and came to sit down next to Thaddeus. Oh yes, because this would help him focus so much better, he thought ruefully. Almost touching but not quite. Perfect. All he could think about was pulling Thaddeus close to him, letting him continue to discuss while Alfarinn rubbed his neck where the collar had rested.

He stretched his legs out in front of him and crossed them at the ankles. It was good to no longer be cramped in a booth, not that he noticed at the time. Alfarinn focused on that a moment in order to avoid paying attention to the warm comforting presence next to him.

"There should be a matter of public record. I can sent my aid down there to fetch them. If they are not on file for whatever reason then I am sure she will be able to find a way to get them. She's very resourceful."
Thaddeus found himself grinning at Arin, pleased, and not just because the Evenhet had moved to sit closer to him. Though that was wonderful in and of itself; he found himself more relaxed, more able to think clearly, when Arin wasn't on the other side of the room.

Is that all there is to it then? Thaddeus shook his head. I suppose I imagined that we would have to creep into the records hall in the dead of night, crack a few safes...Thaddeus chuckled...I don't know. I'm not used to dealings with humans being quite so simple and straightforward.

Then, maybe I just make everything complicated. We -will- have to be careful though; I've heard enough warnings to know the neighborhood we'll be looking in isn't safe. He suddenly looked sharply at Arin, putting his hand on the man's arm and looking into his eyes, wanting him to understand the full significance of what he was about to say. In fact, come to think of it I don't like the idea of leaving you down on the streets below while I'm up in the air. At that height it would take me some time to fly down if you needed me.

Thaddeus sat back again and rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

There I go again; putting someone I care for at risk while I'm off safe and sound. How does this keep happening?

No answer was forthcoming. He tilted his head back against the bed post, trying to think of ways to make the plan work without putting Arin in direct danger.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and replied.

"Yes, not much drama to it is there? You would think it would be more exciting. Of course, having something be easy for a change would be a blessing."

He was startled when Thaddeus reached out and touched his shoulder. Alfarinn smiled slightly watching him be so serious, worrying about his safety. That was so thoughtful. He was touched by the concern. No one save Megan truly worried about him. Everyone else assumed he could handle most anything. Himself included.

He put his hand on Thaddeus's leg in a reassuring gesture.

"I'll be fine. I promise. Certainly long enough for you to check a few windows. I can always call to you. Don't worry. "
Thaddeus absently moved his hand to cover the Evenhet's, sliding his fingers between the other man's easily.

'Don't worry.' That simple statement alone was enough to make him think that's exactly what he -should- be doing.

No, really. It's a bad idea, we just need to come up with a better one.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn stared at the hand entwined in his own. Was he dreaming? He knew for a fact that he wasn't drunk, perhaps Thaddeus was still feeling tipsy? This was something he wouldn't have done sober, certainly.

He gently squeezed the Anantya's thigh, enjoying this little bit of contact more than he had any right to.

"It is an excellent idea. Far less dangerous than most others and more likely to give us results. Thaddeus, I'll be fine."

He sighed, wanting so very badly to take that hand on his and use it to pull the man closer to him. Show him instead of tell him that every thing would be ok.

"I have another ability that I have not explained." Alfarinn took a deep breath. "I said I'm never alone. Its true." Painfully true, in some cases. "Evenhet calls it bonding. It develops a link between myself and those I have close relationships with. Its a mutual thing, of course, not something I can just do without someone consenting, but once done, Its like my empathy but it works both ways and I can sense when something is wrong with someone and they can do the same for me. Should I be in trouble there will be those who know." That was one of his strongest abilities. The one that kept him safer than the others, that secret protection in a time of emergency and he just told it to an Anantya.

Yes because he was certain about Thaddeus also.
Thaddeus looked up at Arin in something like wonder. Something about what the Evenhet had explained resounded deeply within him. There was a dark beauty to the concept, and the fact that Arin had told him something this obviously intimate about himself was in some way humbling.

He was overwhelmed. Arin amazed him; that a person could have the...the -capacity- to not only empathize but truly -connect- with those he cared about, who would do this willingly and still have so much to give, was...just about the most achingly beautiful thing he'd ever heard.

You are...amazing. Thaddeus spoke quietly, in an awed voice, pulling a trembling hand to his chest without so much as realizing it was still intertwined with the Evenhet's.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked up confused, he was overwhelmed by his feelings to the point of not being able to think straight. He had been musing about his bonding and the less than lovely sides when he felt Thaddeus tug on his hand.

Amazing? He was amazing? Whatever brought that on?

Alfarinn turned to give his full attention to Thaddeus. Nothing about his senses felt different than they had this entire night but He didn't need his senses to understand that expression. All this time? The things he had been feeling were not just his own?

He had to be certain though. He couldn't afford to make a mistake and then have the Anantya find it uncomfortable to be around him. Alfarinn reached out his other hand to gently brush one well defined cheekbone.

"Thaddeus...?"
Thaddeus leaned into the touch, allowing his eyes to flicker closed for just a moment before opening them again, fixing them on Arin's matching grey pair. He had thought he was in perfect control of the situation, that there was an understanding between them, but that was gone now, dissolved, and there were no rules to fall back on, no guidelines save every bone in his body telling him this was right.

'Do you not ever long to be free...'

He reached out, unsure himself of what he would do until it was done, and tenderly pushed a lock of Arin's hair behind his ear...

'...for one blessedly sweet moment?'

Yes.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
That one word was all he needed to hear. Something so simple that changed so much. He watched Thaddeus closely certain now that it was not his own wishful thinking. Understanding seemed to have unlocked his senses which had not been wrong in the first place. He reached out with his empathy and sensed similar feelings to his own... affection, desire, admiration and even fear.

Alfarinn smiled faintly, how foolish of him, who normally trusted his abilities without question.

He slid off the bed and knelt on the floor in front of Thaddeus, pulling the man closer to him. Reaching up he gently took the Anantya's face between his hands and brought it slowly to his own. The first touch of those warm lips was moment of bliss, out of time, slowed down to perfection in which each detail is remembered with crystal clarity.

That first kiss broke the dam on his pent of feelings and he let them wash over him in their painful intensity reassured by the knowledge that they were not his alone.

((OOC: Permission granted to move Thaddeus))
He wasn't quite sure which unspoken question he had answered, but knew the answer was yes, every time, yes, and Arin seemed to understand. He shook with the aching relief that understanding brought, and it was alright because Arin was holding him close now, drawing him to some place where even this was not impossible, and with such perfect tenderness the Evenhet guided him closer and closer and when his cool mouth brushed over Thaddeus's own, he thought he understood too. Understood was he was missing and what he was wanting and what he needed and what it meant to be free.

Yes.

Trembling, Thaddeus rested a hand on Arin's cheek, his other wrapped tightly around the other man. With curious, tentative fingers he stroked along the Evenhet's cheekbone, down his jaw line, around his ear, not quite daring to wander any further even as the kiss deepened, seemingly of its own accord. Kissing Arin was intoxicating and exhilarating and Thaddeus couldn't bear for it to end just yet, not just yet, and so finally he gave in, plunging his hand into that hair, that fine silvery curtain that slid through his fingers with the softest whispers. So many times, in parts of his mind he didn't dare visit, he had imagined his hands this way, but his imagination came nowhere near, was not even in the same vicinity as the real thing. He did not think it was possible, but he somehow managed to pull himself even closer than before to the Evenhet and wound his fingers through his hair.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn sighed with the euphoria of relief when he felt that first kiss returned. Those initial uncertain gestures were always a leap of faith. Believing that you both understand and desire the same things but those first actions are the test. He had just jumped off a cliff from which there was no returning, no going back to the way things were. Forever changed, and the Anantya had been there, had caught him. He was not allowed to shatter on the ground, exposed and broken in folly. There was safety in those arms that held him close, sanctuary.

Thaddeus's hands made their way through his hair causing him to shiver with pleasure. It seemed as if they were meant to be there, perfect adornments without which something was missing.

Alfarinn wrapped his arms gently around the blonde though a part of him wished to pull him more tightly to him. He still felt that if he moved too suddenly, pushed too hard this would all end like a delicate dream, a child's bubble of fantasy. So he made his way with slow tender kisses along Thaddeus's jaw and down that warm neck that felt so exquisite under his lips.

They must stop eventually, must say something but not just yet.
Thaddeus gasped softly when the Evenhet moved smoothly away from his mouth and down to his neck, and not for the first time he marveled at the effect this man had on him. He enjoyed that delicious vulnerability, his neck exposed and his control very slowly slipping away from him; he relished that feeling until he could stand it no more. Pulling back just slightly, he slid one hand under Arin's jaw, caressing the smooth skin lightly with his fingertips, and tilted it up to claim the Evenhet's mouth with his own, kissing him firmly and deeply and putting all the desire he dared into it. He let his hand, trembling now more from the effort of keeping his caresses light and gentle than from inhibition, move from Arin's jaw, down the back of his neck, tracing along the line of his spine and around his shoulder blade, the other hand still unwilling to leave Arin's hair.

He realized in the back of his mind that the longer this went on the more difficult it would become to stop; regardless of how badly he simply wanted to stretch this perfect moment out forever, there was a hungry part of him that wanted more and more and more, wanted to escalate this to its logical conclusion. And there was the reasonable, responsible part of him that needed to pull away and talk and understand before they went too far.

Unwilling to give in yet, not ready to submit to inertia or consequence, wanting just a little more of this moment, he softened the kiss, lingering on Arin's lips before moving to his ear, nibbling it softly before resting his head on the other man's shoulder and stilling his hands.

Arin?