Zhavric's second issue

From what I have heard it sounds as though you guys are leaning towards a role-playing intensive game where players are on a permission system when it comes to interacting with one another. I personally feel that has a lot of potential. However, here's something I wanted to address:

How much can a character do when its NOT directly related to another character?

Example:

"(OOC, I request permission to hit your character)"
"(OOC, permission denied)"
"Fine. I go to where you live and watch you secretly for a week. Then, I go kill everyone you talk to and all of their families. I burn down your car and steel your house. I shave your dog and replace your furniture with green jello."

How do we avoid the "green jello" scenario?

The answer that I suggest is to make it so that any interaction with an NPC (beyond mundane things like buying cigarettes) would need the okay of a game master.

Your thoughts?

Mai 19 years ago
LOL, you're a cynic, we like that. *eyes Zharvic*

I've never seen this really be a problem. I suppose it could be. The closest problem of this kind I saw on a very large board was someone stalking another character. They would jump in every thread that character had and they would use ooc knowledge as well.

The action taken was to report the stalker to admin. I think normal in character hate, approved between the characters is fine but if someone continues to mess with a character who has stated they do not wish to have anything to do with another then the mods would probably need to step in a put a virtual restraining order out on em.

"Please step away from the blonde"

You've had some really bad players in your lifetime haven't you? *hugs Zharvic in sympathy* Sad how one or two can ruin a game for the masses but I think cases like you stated would be rare enough to be able to let the mods handle it without needing to resort to billy clubs and tranquilizers.
Ellis Duban 19 years ago
This is why this board wont be advertised. We're not shooting for larger crowds with people we dont know. This is a cool club and there is a secret handshake!!! I think keeping it within the tac lit members will make it easier to avoid conflict. We all know each other, to a degree (/jumps on zhavric, hi!) and we all seem to communicate with each other without any real conflict.

This is a good rule and definitely something that the staff can step in and regulate if this problem comes up.
Mai 19 years ago
No giving out the secret handshake!
Vulash 19 years ago
What Zhavric is talking about really isn't that uncommon But as logn as you do keep it privateish shouldn't be an issue here.
Ellis Duban 19 years ago
Yeah I can imagine the crap that could happen. We'll always keep an eye out for that if say newer people come here. So we're not going to ignore it and assume it wont happen. We'll just hope it wont but plan for the worst.
Morrigan Kinsey 19 years ago
If I learn the secret handshake, will the black and brown people think I'm cool?

/giggle
/flee
Ellis Duban 19 years ago
Ryala
If I learn the secret handshake, will the black and brown people think I'm cool?

/giggle
/flee

If we had gotten a chance to canoodle with our a haunted mansion toons, i'd have showed you
Morrigan Kinsey 19 years ago
Mae, I think that's called fisting, not a handshake.
Ellis Duban 19 years ago
Ryala
Mae, I think that's called fisting, not a handshake.

K you're way kinkier than i am.
Mai 19 years ago
Hmm, well look at it this way.. that will keep it to a small group.
Zhavric 19 years ago
Let's see here. I've been hugged for sympathy, jumped on... and someone mentioned something about "fisting".

This is the best thread ever.

/wipes tear

/basks in the attention

In all seriousness, though (yeah... right...), I am speaking from my experience as a LARPer when I used to play Vampire. Consider the following tale:

There was a player who, one evening, showed up to the game with an odd circular bulge in the front of his shirt. It looked like he had taped some sort of dinner plate to his chest over his heart. Indeed, in the OOC really real world, he had gone to the store, bought a stack of paper plates, and taped them to his chest with duct tape. Later on in the night, someone tried to attack his character with a stake. The guy came right at him from the front and went to put the stake through his chest...

...It was then that we learned that the paper plates were a prop for the in-character object which was chained to the character's torso: In character, it was a BEAR TRAP. Not only did he not get a stake through the heart, the poor snackling who came at him lost an in-character hand as the bear trap snapped shut.

There were those who thought it was incredibly lame. There were others who thought it was amazingly cool.

I was somewhere in the middle: if you start allowing such things, the game has a potential to get very creative albeit very silly.

Just some food for thought.
Mai 19 years ago
I'd give him points for creativity and then take away points for not having any sense... so yeah I'd be in the middle on that one.

Sometimes you've got to let them be a little silly if that's where they wish to take it but I think that what will happen is the majority of the people here will be good writers who will take their characters and the situations seriously and that will affect even newer players. Not to say that there won't be humor just not law of probability bending antics that seem rife on other boards.

One of the boards I came from had great writers who very descriptive, the admin and mods all set up scenes and answered each other with detailed posts... It affects the general populace of the board. I went to a few other boards and noticed that the majority of the threads were one liners.. a 13 page long thread of one line responses. Bah to that! I realized that the mods and admin set an example of how the board should go and what the rp's should feel like and new people were assimilated in Borglike fashion for the greater good of all.

Resistance is futile...