Free Parking (open)

Now...this was certainly an overdue event. Smiling, Alec looked around the wide spaces of Nachton's famed library. He'd been a bit remiss in keeping up to date on his periodicals since moving here. Though it wasn't what the building was known for, he knew they'd have the architectural journals that he was interested in. After that, perhaps he'd read up on the local history since he was mostly living with it. It might be interesting to see how many of the founders were still wandering around.

Chuckling quietly, he removed his jacket and stretched, heading in the direction that the sign indicated that he would find the magazine reading area. Getting a somewhat stern look for an undisclosed offense from one of the staff members, he wondered if that was something that they trained librarians to do. "Any time someone is not hard at work or looking studious, give them the Librarian Stare," that slight knitting of the brow, a tiny cock of the head to the right, look a bit down the nose and purse the lips. Classic. He'd never seen it on a man's face before, but the look was unmistakeable. He was certainly Staff.

Taking a few minutes, he selected his magazines and sat down on the rather soft couch in the reading area and started to get caught up on the thoughts of the industry for the past few months. He really ought to subscribe to many of these, but he didn't see the point on spending money on something that he could get for free. Oh, get for free, legally.

Sighing with contentment, he settled in for some serious reading on breakfast nooks.

Addison 18 years ago
And yes...the newest world journal of financial reports. There was a year end financial statement of a fortune 500 company in here that he really wanted to check out. Addison reached up and plucked the bland looking journal off of the shelf, smiling in a pleased manner. Now, to find a good place to curl up with his notebook and pen and get to comparisons...

The red head steped out from the stacks in the opposite direction he'd entered and spotted a slightly familiar figure. Wasn't this one the guy who'd had his arse pinched by Absynthe? He probably wouldn't even remember him, but it was worth saying howdy.
"Hello..."

(OOC: boo)
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe was quite happy, but hardly surprised, to find the library open. She didn't have a card, but a quick trip to the desk up front helped with that.

Tucking her new card into her purse she wandered aimlessly until she stumbled across the history section and, right after that, a lovely, large section with all kinds of archaeological studies. She tried to keep her mouth from watering as she found a ladder and began to peruse some classic literature.

In her zeal, she found herself standing atop the ladder with four rather large tomes and no free hands to assist her in climbing down. She looked right, looked left, and then tried to figure out how to free a hand up to put some of the books back.

Balancing somewhat unsteadily, she managed to gently replace two of the books back into their place on the shelves. Then she trotted to a table with her cache, went back to the ladder, and grabbed the other two.

Good sense flew out the window as, in her excitement over the old books, she completely glossed over the fact that they probably hadn't been taken out in years. To her they were treasures to be coveted and she was a little afraid someone might get to them before she had a chance.

There were a couple people with her in the library; one had his back turned to her and the only feature she noticed on the other was a shock of cherry-red hair. It didn't register and she didn't recognize Alec; she was half-buried in books as it was.
Shay 18 years ago
Having finished work early - it seemed the flu was hitting everybody not lucky enough to have a diet like her's. So with a less than half filled class, Fallon let them go home early, and gave them a little more self study to do before the next night.

Finding herself with no plans, she had started walking and pretty soon found herself back near the marina. Once she recognized the area she forced herself to continue on. This was her horse, and she had to get back on it.

Avoiding the cultural center, she went into the library instead. She had never really had a lot of luxury time to just sit and read, but now days she would make time. Moving to the 'New Release' section, she pulled out a few paperbacks. One was a medical mystery she'd heard a little about, one was a romance novel by an author she had always liked, and one was a self help book on building confidence. Looking for some place to sit down, she thought about maybe taking a seat next to the guy on the couch. She had already fed tonight, but was always looking, it seemed.

As she made her way in the guy's direction, she casually glanced around at the others there. Before she reached the couch, a man with very red hair beat her there, and greeted the other man. Disappointed, she almost stomped her foot, but caught herself, and turned.

"Aishe!"

She said, a little more loudly than proper, once she saw her friend sitting alone at a table.

Fallon dropped her voice immediately and quickly moved in that direction. When she reached the table she set her books down, and started to pull out a chair next to the other woman.

"Hi there! How are you? May I? You're not waiting for anyone are you? I can sit somewhere else if you are...it's no problem."

Once Fallon had begun talking she remembered the other girl probably had other plans. Fallon didn't want to intrude.
Fallon 18 years ago
Having finished work early - it seemed the flu was hitting everybody not lucky enough to have a diet like her's. So with a less than half filled class, Fallon let them go home early, and gave them a little more self study to do before the next night.

Finding herself with no plans, she had started walking and pretty soon found herself back near the marina. Once she recognized the area she forced herself to continue on. This was her horse, and she had to get back on it.

Avoiding the cultural center, she went into the library instead. She had never really had a lot of luxury time to just sit and read, but now days she would make time. Moving to the 'New Release' section, she pulled out a few paperbacks. One was a medical mystery she'd heard a little about, one was a romance novel by an author she had always liked, and one was a self help book on building confidence. Looking for some place to sit down, she thought about maybe taking a seat next to the guy on the couch. She had already fed tonight, but was always looking, it seemed.

As she made her way in the guy's direction, she casually glanced around at the others there. Before she reached the couch, a man with very red hair beat her there, and greeted the other man. Disappointed, she almost stomped her foot, but caught herself, and turned.

"Aishe!"

She said, a little more loudly than proper, once she saw her friend sitting alone at a table.

Fallon dropped her voice immediately and quickly moved in that direction. When she reached the table she set her books down, and started to pull out a chair next to the other woman.

"Hi there! How are you? May I? You're not waiting for anyone are you? I can sit somewhere else if you are...it's no problem."

Once Fallon had begun talking she remembered the other girl probably had other plans. Fallon didn't want to intrude.
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Skimming quickly through the over-simplified article on window braces, Alec was almost relieved at a voice near him in greeting. Not recognizing it immediately, he looked up, face neutral. Confused for a moment, he knew he'd met the man...that hair was unmistakeable, but from where...ah, that's right, the dress. Ellis' ex-familiar, now free. Some kids had all the luck. Smiling, Alec replied

Ah, Addison, yes? Took me a second - I didn't recognize you without the dress.

Winking, Alec gestured to the couch.

Pull up a cushion. This article was pretty weak, anyway. The writer is going off of other people's sources rather than using personal knowledge. What're you reading?

At someone shouting "Aishe" somewhere behind him, Alec smirked. Damn. This place was hopping on Thursday nights. "Forget clubs - the cool kids hang at the Nachton Library..." He'd have to stop by and scare the bejeezus out of her later.

Turning his head sideways, Alec frowned.

Little heavy reading there, huh? Work or pleasure?
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe was just about to lovingly pet one of her 'finds' when she heard a familiar voice cut through the silence of the library. She jumped a ilttle when she realized it was her name that had been called, and then beamed a smile as she saw Fallon coming her way.

"Fallon," she whispered by way of greeting as the young vampire came over to her. "No, no, sit down!" She pushed the chair that Fallon had begun to pull out the rest of the way and grinned.

"Waiting for someone? Yeah, I've got a hot date at the Nachton Library," she teased gently with a wink.

"I actually just thought I'd pick up some light reading. I don't want to get rusty!" Aishe happily patted the four thick books in front of her. "And this city has some incredibly old stuff. I'm sure they're just transcripts of the originals, but look at this!"

She showed Fallon one of the books, "Hieroglyphs and Culture." It was a several inch thick volume written centuries ago, with swaths of onformation on how Ancient Egyptian culture had been defined by its writing.

Then she realized that Fallon probably wasn't interested in such things in spite of Aishe's (over)abundant enthusiasm. With a little grin, she turned to her friend. "So what brings you here?" She whispered. "Don't tell me you've got a taste for librarians... because I have a feeling humans aren't quite like a fine wine... I don't think you want the old ones!"

She shot a glance over toward the elderly woman at the desk and gave her her most innocent smile, patting her books again happily.
Fallon 18 years ago
Her face breaking out into a huge smile, once Aishe welcomed her, Fallon took the chair quickly.

Her attentions drawn to the books the books Aishe had before her, Fallon raised an eyebrow. Aishe was into archeology, Fallon knew, but her devotion to her books still struck Fallon as just a bit much. But she just giggled a little...softly, and chalked it up to a passion she just recognized but didn't understand.

"Well then, if your books are your date, do you think you might be able to convince them to take you to dinner in a bit? I cut class early tonight, too many were out with the flu. And being the woman of semi leisure, in my off time, thought it would be nice to maybe start reading again."

Fallon did run her hand lovingly across the paperbacks, but for another reason entirely. For her it wasn't what was actually in the books, but the action of reading itself she was going to enjoy.

Aishe's comment on the librarian caught Fallon totally off guard, and she absolutely snorted in laughter, before she again caught herself and quieted. One hand covered Fallon's mouth, and the other gave Aishe a soft nudge to her upper arm.

"You are SO bad! But so right...my tastes to run more towards the younger...hunkier...masculine forms. Though there is a nice subject sitting on the sofa over there."

Fallon's voice was very soft and discreet now, and with a flick of her head she indicated the man who had been her initial target.

"But I am so glad to have run into you here. How have you been? Making any progress in your 'endeavor'?"

Fallon had only met Aishe one time before, but during that evening had begun to feel not only comfortable and akin to her newfound friend, but also intrigued. Aishe was human, but thinking of possibly turning, and already seemed to know more about vampires than Fallon. She had yet to reveal the reasons why though, and Fallon was more than curious.

That, and Aishe was just fun to be around. Fallon wasn't sure why she had shown an interest in her, but refused to analyze it. Fallon wanted another friend. Cyrus could only provide her with so much time and attention. And now that no one cared what she did with her free time, she was going to spend it the way she wanted...with people she wanted to be with.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe realized she was fawning over her books and yanked her hand away with a little grin. "Dinner sounds lovely, but are you hungry? I could go either way."

She didn't know if Fallon ate human-type food much or not; the woman was newly-turned, so maybe she still retained old habits. Or, like others she knew, ate just for the enjoyment of flavors. She didn't want her friend going out of her way if she was uncomfortable at a restaurant.

She was happy to make Fallon laugh, though; Aishe thought Fallon was entirely too shy. Nevermind that at the outburst, the elderly librarian glared at them peevishly. What was an old lady doing up so late anyhow? Aishe giggled along with Fallon, trying to keep it down so the librarian didn't prevent her from taking out her books. definitely not the eating type.

Damn, she was even beginning to think of other humans as food. That should probably say something, but Aishe wasn't about to delve into what. She did look at the couch Fallon indicated though, and pulled a double-take as she recognized the figure on it. Well, well, well.

"That one's not for eating, unfortunately," Aishe whispered. "You're just as like to get bitten back, and then his girlfriend will get angry, and... it would just be a mess. Someone would get thrown across a table. What about the other one?" She nodded with her chin at the redhead who approached Alec.

"We should go say hi, anyway. You'd like Alec. He's a good guy." Alec didn't seem so absorbed in his reading, anyway, and maybe the guy with him was someone snackable for Fallon. He was cute enough.

Perhaps at a later date she would marvel at the fact that she was now rating her fellow human beings on a succulence scale of 1-10 with crusty old librarians definitely being around a negative 3. At the moment, however, she took Fallon's arm and led her over to the couch, barely able to hold her pile of books with her free arm.

While they moved through the tables in Alec's direction, Aishe told Fallon, "I've been just fine. Nothing much going on, I've met plenty of great folks, and maybe when they know me enough, and vice versa, Prince Charming will come along and bite." She winked at the woman next to her as they approached the couch.

"Look what the cat dragged in," she said, her voice just barely above a whisper. "The Pinball Wizard himself."

((ooc: Fallon moved with permission.))
((also ooc: Sorry Addison! You're perma-food! ))
Smirking as the ladies came to join them, Alec responded.

Don't worry Aishe, I'm just here for the social scene - This place is hopping on Thursday nights. Addison was going to grab a Dick and Jane book for me, but they were all checked out so we went with financial analysis instead. And I see you're doing some weightlifting there. Good to get your exercise. Who's your friend? Oh, and Addison, this is Aishe. Make sure she never catches you in a lingerie shop. Or, maybe you'd be more comfortable with it than I was. Anyway...hey there stranger.

Smiling, he went down the checklist. Yup, he'd poked fun at everyone except the newcomer. Supposedly it made people feel more welcome initially unless the joking persisted without them for too long...then it granted feelings of isolation. Odd, that.
Fallon 18 years ago
"...I could go either way..."

Fallon didn't quite know how to take that at first, but then chided herself. Obviously Aishe was saying dinner or no, it didn't matter. Fallon mentally shook herself. She had to quit reading double meanings into everything.

Aishe's recognition of the man on the couch was disappointing, to say the least. Not only was he a vampire, but taken too.

At Aishe's direction, Fallon checked out the redhead, and wrinkled her nose. He was definitely not her type, human or vampire. She didn't think he was her type either, but that was an off the top of her head judgement call, and not at all fair.

"Um, no...I don't think so."

She tried not to sound too prejudiced, and truth was she wasn't. If he was gay, it didn't matter. She didn't care what someone's bed partner choices were. Except when one was her. Then, of course, it mattered.

"Not quite my type...the other one is sure cute though."

But no use wasting time there. Fallon was a young, healthy woman...she supposed she was still healthy, in some sense. None the less, even while married to Ted, she had bouts of 'need'. It was unfortunate Ted had never been able to satisfy those needs...nor had anyone else she had come across.
And Cyrus didn't look at her in that way, so the best she had was whatever she could make do with. It didn't stop her from looking though.

Hearing Aishe still hadn't given up on her ideas, Fallon took the girls arm in an affectionate manner, and moved to meet her friend.

"Hello, Alec, Addison. I'm Fallon."

And he seemed so nice too. Fallon smiled, but stood back just a step. Aishe knew the man, and the things they were talking about were out of left field, to Fallon. She looked down at the redhead...Addison, and smiled, before remembering she had Aishe's arm, which she then slowly moved away from.
Montana 18 years ago
Rattling her keys in her pocket as she wandered up and down the aisles, Ana felt a little out of place being at the library so late. In her experience, people with things to hide, secrets to share, or bad habits to indulge in were usually the type to visit the stacks this late at night.

She fiddled with her purse strap as she wandered the shelves between "Self Help" and "Tantric Gardening." She shook her head every time she passed the latter sign; did people in Nachton really garden with tantra? Her eyes kept avoiding the other "Se"-beginning sign as she rounded the corner back towards "Rock and Roll Research." Wondering how the patrons of the library ever found anything at all, she found herself passing a section of low chairs and couches, occupied by several people. Two men, two women. The one woman was rather exotic looking, and had a lovely speaking voice - even though she was whispering. The other seemed as if she was embarassed or out of place, but when she smiled, Ana guessed she hadn't been introduced. The red haired man gave her the willies - no, not the willies, but a weird feeling in any case, but the dark haired man...

Something pinched inside her as her head stayed glued to him as she walked by. And with her eyes on that dark-haired man, they weren't on the path in front of her, and...

THUD.

Stars flashed in her eyes as she looked up at the dim lights of the library ceiling. Breath was hard to come by.

Not only did she fall over the back of a chair in the middle - no, it wasn't in the middle of the walkway, she'd actually turned a little bit, keeping him in view - and fallen over it. Flopping at the middle over the chair's back, rolling over the seat cushion, and landing on her back.

She heard a soft groaning sound for a moment before she realized it was herself.

(( please excuse the clumsy human! ))
Fallon 18 years ago
Fallon was running over to help the girl up just after she turned and saw her fall.

"Are you okay? Ana?"

Fallon recognized the younger woman from dinner at the Piazza, and was a little afraid for her. How had she fallen like that, she wondered.

She put a hand in hers, and the other on her shoulder to help her up when she was ready.

"Ana, it's me...Fallon...remember. We had dinner with Rorri that night at the Piazza."
Montana 18 years ago
Wondering why the woman was calling her name, Ana focused and saw a semi-familiar face. Maybe she'd just been ill when they met at the Piazza, or something...

Ana virtually hopped up with Fallon's assistance. "Of course I remember you, Fallon. You look great, I guess the end of winter is being kind to you."

She rubbed the back of her head gingerly. "Not so much for me," she said, and as she looked around, caught sight of the dark-haired man again and blushed. Averting her eyes back to Fallon, she said, "Thanks for coming to my rescue again."
As the group came together, another party came wandering out of the stacks, seemingly drawn to the activity in this part of the library. Damn....there'd be good hunting here if there were always this many folk wandering the place alone at night. Just have to watch for the staff and you'd be set. As she drew closer, she looked from one to the other of them. When her gaze stopped on him, Alec smiled slightly and returned his attention to Aishe. A couple moments later, there was a loud whump from that direction, and Alec looked over to see her laying on the floor suddenly.

Confused as to what had happened, Alec watched Aishe's friend help her up. Apparently they knew each other...it was nice to have someone help you up, but could be even more embarrassing than falling in front of strangers in the wrong circumstances.

Watching the scene unfold, Alec waited. She'd either be embarassed and flee or stay and weather the storm. Which type would she turn out to be? Padding the bet some, he gave an option for her to stay if she wished. Rising to assist Fallon, he held a hand out to help her up as well.

You ok there?
Montana 18 years ago
Ana blushed furiously as the tall, slim, dark-haired, well dressed man came over to her, offered his hand, and actually spoke to her in a crisp, slightly accented - was that Southern? - voice. "I'm fine," she said, "but I think the chair got what it deserved."

She kept her eyes level with his - even though he was a little taller than she - and blushed again even as she smiled.
Fallon 18 years ago
Blushing at the compliment, Fallon didn't understand the part about 'winter being kind to her' so she let it go.

Once she got Ana up, she turned towards the others, but not before seeing the way she seemed to be looking so intently at Alec. She leaned towards Ana's ear, head turned away from the group and whispered.

"He IS cute...but taken, I'm afraid."

She gave Ana a look as if to say 'mores the pity', and then smiled at the others.

"Guys...this is Montana...Ana...I met her while I was staying at the Piazza.
Ana, this is my friend Aishe, and that is Addison, and...Alec."

She nodded towards each as she repeated their names.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Fallon now wondered if the girl was hungry again...and how had she rescued her...again?
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe didn't have a chance to come up with a good retort to Alec, although she did give Addison a smile when he was introduced. As Fallon disengaged herself from Aishe's arm and gave her name, Aishe added, "Fallon's a friend of mine."

That was about as far as she got before a thud from off to the side had Fallon running, apparently recognizing whoever it was who had just fallen. Aishe winced, shifted her books around so she had both arms around them, and peered around the resulting pile to see what had happened.

As she gathered the books to her, she realized Alec and Fallon were helping the young woman up, and Fallon seemed to know her. She appeared to go by 'Ana.' Aishe couldn't really see her well, but as she cast about for someplace to deposit her books aside from Alec's toe, she managed to poke her face out long enough to ask, "Are you all right?.
Easily overhearing the comment that Fallon made, Alec was confused and looked at Addison. He wasn't taken, what were they talking about? As the curse of idiocy wore off, he blushed, as there was only one other conclusion. A bit out of his element with all of this, he smiled and tried to reduce the pinkness from his skin. He really wondered how so many humans could avoid blushing...he could direct the attention of his blood flow and STILL had trouble with it.

Deciding that the best policy would be to feign ignorance to the comment, Alec gestured to the couch.

I'll hold that chair down - pull up a seat next to Addison there.
Fallon 18 years ago
Blushing at the compliment, Fallon didn't understand the part about 'winter being kind to her' so she let it go.

Once she got Ana up, she turned towards the others, but not before seeing the way she seemed to be looking so intently at Alec. She leaned towards Ana's ear, head turned away from the group and whispered.

"He IS cute...but taken, I'm afraid."

She gave Ana a look as if to say 'mores the pity', and then smiled at the others.

"Guys...this is Montana...Ana...I met her while I was staying at the Piazza.
Ana, this is my friend Aishe, and that is Addison, and...Alec."

She nodded towards each as she repeated their names.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Fallon now wondered if the girl was hungry again...and how had she rescued her...again?
Easily overhearing the comment that Fallon made with his increased perception, Alec was confused and looked at Addison. He wasn't taken...what were they talking about? As the curse of idiocy wore off, he blushed, as there was only one other conclusion. A bit out of his element with all of this, he smiled and tried to reduce the pinkness from his skin. He really wondered how so many humans could avoid blushing...he could direct the attention of his blood flow and STILL had trouble with it.

Deciding that the best policy would be to feign ignorance to the comment, Alec gestured to the couch.

I'll hold that chair down Ana, you can have my spot next to Addison there.