Drunk dialing (att: Shay!)

Panos pulled out his phone and began to mash buttons. Pulling the phone mere inches from his face he studied the screen drunkenly. His eyes squinted and he tried again to hit the button that would lead to his contacts menu.

Finally and very carefully (read: slowly) he found Shay's name in the lineup. He hit his talk button and then the realization hit him. It just might be too late for a phone call.

Well he would appologize for it later. He had wanted to appologize anyways and he could lump them together now!

He listen to the ring and swayed to the music of it. He looked a tad silly but he didnt seem to care.

Shay 18 years ago
How long the phone had been ringing, Shay had no idea. The main thing though was that she'd fallen asleep in the tub, and now was making a slippery, mad dash for her office.

"Hello?? Hello?? I'm here...sorry..."

Her voice was hoarse from sleep, and she was now beginning to shiver from the cool air on her wet body. But on the very off chance it was Mathias, calling to tell her the whole thing had been a huge mistake, she couldn't risk not answering.

She grabbed the comforter and threw it over her shoulders.
Panos Mehalitsenos 18 years ago
Shalimar O Mannon

"Hello?? Hello?? I'm here...sorry..."

Panos heard her voice through the tune in his head and perked up.

Shay?

Her voice sounded a little rough.

It's Pan..Paul. Did i wake you?
Shay 18 years ago
Her heart dropped...it wasn't Mathias.

"Pan Paul? Yes...as a matter of fact you did wake me, but I am thankful for your call. I'd fallen asleep in the tub...who knows what might have happened had the ringing not woken me up."

'Yes...I might have drowned...and who would have cared?'

She was feeling sorry for herself...it was part of the grieving process. Though she hadn't given up on the idea that she and Mathias belonged together, or would be together again...it was likely her emotions would be spinning around like a dervish, until that time came.

"Paul? Are you okay?"

Now it fully registered who she was talking to...but he sounded...strange.
Well it's a good thing I did wake you then! I would have had to tear the eyes out of whoever found you nude in the tub!

the idea was funny to him and he giggled slightly. It occured to him that Shay possibly didnt find death and morbid things like floating dead bodies and his quest to keep her decent very funny.

I appologize, i did not mean to sound...possesively dirty. What i did mean was , you know, dignity. You know protect your dignity even if you were gone....Though that sounds silly now that i say it out loud but whatever. He laughed again.

And yes, I am allright. I'm actually sitting on some steps and they are killing my butt. Hold on a second.

There was a brief pause as he propped himself so that he was laying across the steps now with his head on a support rail.

Ok ok now i'm laying on the steps, but anyways....I wanted to appologize for the other day. I don't want you to think i was bluff. My new home has horrible reception for my phone. I totally should have switched to verizon. Do you have verizon? The do you hear me now commercials, i bet that man would be outside my house and he'd get reception. Ugh now i'm rambling and probably embarassing myself. I appologize again!
Shay 18 years ago
Shay laughed without thinking. He sounded drunk...that was why he sounded strange. She thought it was rather gallant of him taking the position of protecting her virtue...dignity. Though with that thought her smile faded...she'd rather have Mathias for that.

"It's really okay, Paul. No need to apologize though I fully accept. Things happen. I actually am a little remiss myself in that I did see you earlier, at the ball, and had intended on stopping by to say hello...but things sort of got...away from me."

She had to giggle a little at the phone commercial.

"No...I don't have the 'do you hear me now' service. But you're coming in loud and clear now."

Her head clearing a little more, something else he'd said just dawned on her.

"Why are you sitting on steps? Are you locked out? Have you lost your key...? Where are you?"

Though she didn't know Paul at all, the one time they'd talked she'd come to think she'd like to get to know him better. That aside, she was still concerned abou him...he was another human, after all. If he was in need, she'd do what she could for him.
Well I just came out of a club and I knew if i waited till i got home to call you it wouldn't work so i took myself a little seat out here! And by the looks that I'm getting from people passing me by...i'd say i'm a bit goofy looking!

A couple passed him by and he made a lewd gesture at them. The man flipped him off and pulled his woman closer as they walked away. He grinned at them.

You were at the ball?! Man you know i was looking for you! There was alot of people there though and so many elaborate costumes. Oh my god, dude i was there with my aunt too! Don't get no ideas missy, that lady may look young but i tell you! She aint, I didn't not call you and then go out with some other woman! That be rude. Ugh you must of saw how we matched. That was the most horrid get up, i tell you what. She of course had to be more ellaborate than me because she is older and my aunt and was once married to a king, even tho he turned it down so that really doesnt make him a king now does it? That's what I told her but she doesn't listen.

he paused again and there was muffles in the background.

Shut up yourself lady! Go back to bed!

There was a smashing sound of pottery and Panos leapt up and began to run laughing as he did so.
Shay 18 years ago
Shay tried to keep up with what he was saying, but wasn't having an easy time of it. Her head hurt, she was cold, and still wet, but she didn't like the thought of Paul wandering around the streets in his condition.

"Listen Paul...can I come pick you up...take you home...or go for coffee even? Are you at the House of Pain...or the Club Eternity?"

Ugh...the thought of coffee really didn't sound that great...but the thought of reading about them finding Paul's body lying in the street after being hit by a car...or worse yet...

"You weren't thinking about driving, were you?"

Shay had seen way too many deaths at the hands of drunks to ever think about mixing alcohol and cars.

Though she could also call him a cab, there was no way she'd be able to go back to sleep now...worrying if he got home safe. She might as well do something productive.
he slowed his running to a jog and then to a walk. The woman wasn't chasing him and he was a bit out of breath.

Man i'm getting outta shape! Me driving? No way! I know better than that right now! But hmmm I'll let you pick me up if we can stop and get a pizza! It can be togo and i know Hungry Tommies is open until late. They know clubbies be hungry afterwards! I could kill for some pizza ugh. And I was at Club E and i'm about a block away now. haha. Some lady was not happy i was on the steps to her building! She fricken threw a plant at me! Wait a minute, wait wait.

He sat down on the curb.

Ok now i'm put. Staying put on the corner by a stop sign.
Shay 18 years ago
"Ok Paul...give me ten to dress, and then I should be there...and Paul...please stay put."

She hung up without another word, and made a mad dash to her room. Pulling on a pair of jeans, and a hoodie over her partially damp body, she glanced in the mirror and winced. She took just a few more seconds to drag a brush through her hair, and try to erase the picture of fright that she'd seen, before stepping into her Uggs and heading out the door.

She was lucky she found the Club Eternity with little trouble, and as she drove slowly around the block, she also found Paul.

She pulled up along the curb in front of where he was sitting, and rolled down the window.

"Someone call a cab?"

She smiled.
Panos was humming to himself and swaying slightly when a vechile pulled up infront of him. He had a second of annoyance but when he raised his head he saw that it was Shay. He smiled and climbed up using the stop sign poll.

If all cab drivers are as wet and cuddly looking as you are now i'm sure less people would drive.

He gripped the doorr from the open window and opened it from the inside. Slowly he pulled it opened and teetered around it awkwardly. He dropped himself inside and pulled the door shut heavily. He rolled his head over his shoulder and smirked.

I thank you for this ride miss lady cab driver.

He pulled the visor down to check the mirror.

Whoa! I'm getting a five o clock shadow on my head! Is it then a shadow or a cloudy night? Hmm. He patted at his scalp.

Hungry Tommies time?
Shay 18 years ago
She wondered what he would look like with hair...nice, thick, slightly curly on the ends...

'No Shay...don't go there'. Instead she laughed at his antics, and his compliment.

"Let's just hope this slightly damp cabbie doesn't catch pneumonia."

It was good to have a break from her pain. Who knew how long it would last, but for now it was nice having a reason to smile.

"Hungry Tommies it is...but I'm afraid my car isn't equipped with Onstar...so I need to rely on you to get us there."
Easy cheesy ma'am. Go straight from here and turn right at the second light. It's a block down from the corner.

As they drove he made idle chatter about Hungry Tommies and how amazing their pizza was. He pointed out again the location of the turns as they made them and then finally they arrived in front of the pizza place. It was busy and the large glass windows showed that the small tables inside we almost filled. At this time of the night, everyone was sure to be drunk and you could see that some were by the way they laid next to their pizza boxes on the table.

He turned to look at Shay with one eyebrow raised.

Do you want to eat here? I can just run in and grab one to go?

Her damp hair had left little wet marks on her hoodie where it touched it. He didn't want her to get sick and fluid on the lungs was a no no so before she could answer he made up her mind for her.

Nah wait here. I will go get it! You are right, too late in the year for wet & chilly!

He pushed open the door and tried to saunter insde but what he really managed was a half drunk stumble. Once inside he realized he had not asked her what she wanted.

Rather than lose his place at the front of the line, he pulled out his phone and called her.
Shay 18 years ago
As she drove, she listened to him ramble, and had to think he was smart getting food inside him now. After drinking as much as he had, to do otherwise might make for a very nasty hangover tomorrow.

His concern for her was sweet, and appreciated, as she had no desire to get out of the car, or hassle with the group inside. So she just waited in the car and watched him. A small 'Oh' and a cringe escaped her as she saw him almost fall. Turning away, she looked up and down the street, using her mirrors to make sure she was parked ok, and that there weren't any unsavory characters roaming about.

The sound on her cell startled her and she jumped. When she heard him on the other end she laughed, partially because she found it comical that someone would call when only a matter of feet separated them, but also as a method of release. She was still a lot more tense than she realized.

"Anything is fine...really. I'm not that hungry...I'll just keep you company."

Shay was very picky about her pizza, though she rarely found anywhere that fixed it the way she liked...very thin, crisp crust, and little sauce. As for cheese and meats, she really did like just about anything. But she really wasn't hungry, so it was a moot point.

Not wanting to eat in the car, or sit in the car as he ate, she guessed she'd offer to drive him home...or back to her place. She hesitated a little at the last thought, but he was the one who'd been drinking...she was completely sober, and doubted he'd be able to take advantage of her, in his current condition anyway.
He was back in her car with the hot pizza in his hands. It burned a little at his palms but it also made him excited.

I cant wait i can't wait! he said sing song like

Ok, now i live a bit out on the outskirts of Nachton now. Out in the woods. My aunt had a few properties she was looking to get rid of and we made a good deal. Me getting the better end I think anyways. But it's a bit out there and I cant promise you i will be able to find it quickly since i have only been there like a day. Unless we could go somewhere else? I'd say my aunt's place is big but it's also creepy and acient as hell and who in their right minds would wanna hang out a dudes aunts?

By the way, i got pepperoni and cheese. I'm a simple man.

He opened the box a crack to show her.
Shay 18 years ago
The thought of driving god knew where, and possibly still not finding his place, wasn't appealing at all.

"Let's go back to my place...I've got a nice bottle of wine...uhm...I'll make a pot of coffee to go with the pizza."

She could really use a glass...no a bottle of wine, but she didn't think he needed anything else...so she'd suffer the coffee. The pizza did look remarkably good though...the smell no doubt enhancing that thought.

"Looks good...hang on to it!"

She said as she burned a little rubber leaving the curb.

The drive back was interesting. Paul was very animated, and that gave Shay something to focus on. She had thought him to be younger than her when she'd first met him, but as he talked she guessed him to be even younger than she'd imagined. She liked listening to the way he phrased things though...so hip...so...young male.

The pulled into the carport in a matter of minutes, and she waited at the door as she made sure he'd make it out of the car okay. She then went inside, and did a quick glance around to make sure nothing was amiss. She'd left rather hastily.

"Come on in...make yourself comfortable."
Panos followed Shay in and closed the door behind them. Her place looked comfortable and homey. It was nice.

He seated himself on the floor infront of the coffee table and placed the box on top of it. He began eating rather hungerly.

Your place is very nice Shay. He said between mouthfuls It suits you perfectly. It's comforting yet not old fashioned. Very inviting. Have some pizza.

He pat the floor next to him and opened the box wider. Unzipping his brown suede jacket he shrugged it off his shoulders and let it fall around him. Under neath he wore a tight cotton black shirt that fitted his muscular form nicely. He wasn't overly big because that could hinder ones movements but he was athletic. He looked down to his khakis for a spot to wipe his other hand, which now had some sauce and seaseme seeds on it.

First, do you have any napkins? Second, how in the world did you fall asleep in the tub?
Shay 18 years ago
Pulling a plate out of the cupboard, Shay saw Paul was already eating, and that the plate was unnecessary, so back into the cupboard it went.

She then busied herself fixing a pot of coffee, and as it brewed, she turned and leaned on the counter, looking into the livingroom. Her kitchen, dining room, and living room were all part of one great room, which made it nice in situations like this.

"Thank you...I like it."

She got up grabbed a handfull of napkins, walked over to sit on the floor next to him, and handed him one. She then found the smallest piece of pizza in the box.

"This is a lot better than I thought it would be."

She said, half covering her mouth, with her hand, as she spoke. Once she'd swallowed, she answered...with as little detail as she could work with.

"I guess I was tired?"

She laughed softly...just a tinge of sadness coloring the sound.

"It must have been all the excitement of the past few days...a costume party...then the ball..."

'...then having the love of my life tell me he's..what...of the undead? ...the living dead?...' A small look of pain crossed her eyes. What he was hardly mattered now. He had left her... she didn't even have the opportunity to argue the fact that their love had to mean something.

"You should understand...you're obviously a party animal...just like me."

Now she laughed true.

"Promise me you won't be taking any baths till after your buzz wears off."

She bumped her shoulder against his and grinned. He seemed a really nice kid. And he was substantially younger than she was...she thought he looked only 18...19?

"How old are you Paul?"

She asked the question, as casually as she could. She didn't want to hurt his manhood or pride having him think she thought him TOO young. She also just wanted to think about someone besides herself...so she was trying to focus the conversation back onto him.
He laughed when she bumped his shoulder. It made him sway a bit but not too much thankfully. His luck he would fall over.

She had asked his age. Now that was a good one.

Well, I may have to get a calculator to really figure it out, but i'd say twenty two. That sounded a good number if any. Old enough to drink at least

It's been a long time since i've drank so much. For awhile there i had stopped for a bit. I can't seem to remember why, it's been too long.

which was true. During the early nineties he had taken a good 8 years off from drinking. It wasn't until lately that he had resumed.

Maybe i will remember why tomorrow. Until then i'm afraid i feel like a lightweight. And I promise, no baths until the buzz is gone unless you babysit me.

He grinned and started on another piece. There was a look in her eyes when she had spoke of the ball that even drunk he did not miss.

You didn't look terribly happy about something when you talked about the ball. Did someone bother you there?

His eyes clouded over as he thought about how many vampires that had been there. Not just run of the mill ones either. Big names, old vampires, even a few acients. Hell he was an old vampire, but still there had been MANY Tacharan's there. Old and young alike. Too many young ones and it didnt matter the age.

I know it was a 'vampire' party, did anyone get rough with you? Anyone I will have to take care of? He flexed his right arm and laughed, he was serious but didn't want her to know just how much.
Shay 18 years ago
What an odd way to phrase it...'I'd say twenty two'...? In any case, not as young as she thought, so she decided she didn't need to 'mother' him. Though his next suggestion was so close to what she'd been thinking, she again found herself laughing.

"I was just thinking to myself that you are much too old to be baby sat. Though if you want to crash on the sofa tonight, that's really all right. And that way I'll have no reason to worry either way."

So, okay...it was easier for her to say she didn't need to worry, than to actually follow through.

The refocusing worked, if only for a while. Then they were back talking about her. She guessed it was fair. Getting to know someone...was a give and take situation.

"The ball was wonderful, and no...no one bothered me."

'I had Mathias at my side then...no one would have dared bother me.'

"Though I feel honored to know you would have been there to champion me, had I needed it."

And so she'd try to deflect his concern again. She couldn't talk to him about Mathias...it would have just been wrong. Not only would she feel odd, and disloyal discussing her relationship, but there was no way she'd betray Mathias talking about anything having to do with him directly. Even had she known Paul for a really long time, this kind of thing wasn't something Shay spoke of to others.

"I really guess it's all the excitement catching up with me. I've barely moved in, and have been spending all my days writing...and my nights galavanting around...it was bound to happen eventually. I think I just need a really good, long, nights sleep...or days sleep as is becoming habit."

Her internal clock was so out of whack, she hardly ever knew what time it was these days.

She finished the crust to the piece of pizza she was eating, wiped her hands, and got up to get the coffee.

"Coffee? How do you take it?"
With enough cream in it to not taste the coffee flavor! He said with a mouthful.

Sleeping during the day is prime. It's what I do. Everyone is out doing their bussiness, you don't know where they are. At night, you know they are home in bed sleeping. You can always find them. Plus you never heard of anyone getting a moontan now have you? I enjoy that, then sun you see...is not my friend.

He finished his last piece off and cleaned up their little area. He stretched his back out with an arch and slumped down further on the floor so he could rest his head on the couch's lip. He didn't know if he believed her about the ball, but he would let it slide for now.

What kind of book did you say you were writing? I know we talked some about it before. Maybe you will have to read some of it to me sometime. I suposse that even if it's a love story i can manage to feign some interest.

He was kidding her about the interest part. She HAD gone to The House of Pain of course. That would be interesting enough.

I still can't believe you made it out of the House of Pain intact. Not even a mark on you!