Deliveries and Disclosures

(( From Sensational Shopping Scene ))

Connie was glad it had gotten dark in the time they'd spent in the stores and the restaurant. She wanted to tell Nyra the truth... On her own terms, not on the sun's.

The car parked, the lovers walked arm-in-arm up the stairs, and stopped at the receptionist's desk of the call center to let her know they'd be expecting several delivery trucks.

"Whaddya mean several? And how soon? I'll be getting out for the bus in an hour." Connie didn't really care for the nasal twang of the portly, older woman ("Haha! if only she knew true age.") but she was a nice enough person.

"It's homewares to help us finish moving in, Mrs. Donnelly. I'd have to say five or six. We indicated in our delivery instructions to have them come up the back stairs. This way it'll make it easier for them and they won't have to go around the corner into the stairwell, let alone drag stuff through the office." Connie also didn't want their purchases damaged; after all, they weren't even paid for yet!

"Well thank you dearie. Who's your friend?"

"Oh, Mrs. Donnelly, this is Nyra, she moved into 29B a couple weeks ago and is a wonderful artist. Nyra, this is Mrs. Donnelly, who makes the best oatmeal cookies this side of the Mississippi." Connie smiled as the two women shook hands.

"We're not all as well travelled as you, Connie, but thank you very much for saying so."

"You're welcome, Mrs. Donnelly. Have a great evening! And say hello to that niece of yours. I still owe her dinner!" As she caught Nyra's eyebrow raising out of the corner of her eye, Connie remembered the thin, shy girl with glasses whom she'd met several times on her way in and out of the apartment. With her odd hours, Connie had met no less than four different receptionists.

She walked up the stairs with Nyra and turned to the artist between the two doors.
"I figure we should wash up and maybe change, so we can direct boxes and furniture. How does that sound?"

Nyra 18 years ago
Standing at her door, hand in hand with Connie made Nyra smile. "Unfortunately I need to clean up, a lot, before the deliveries arrive. I have paintings I need to put somewhere safe and supplies I must clean."

Thinking for a moment, as she rummaged for her keys in her backpack. "How about we get cleaned up, then meet up once the deliveries start. I would love for you to see what I got in Pier 1. And I just may need some help then arranging everything." she said with a giggle, hoping Connie wouldn't mind lending a hand.

The artist tried to organize her thoughts, thinking of everything she needed to do. She pulled out her keys from her bag, tangled up in her cell phone. Eyes opening wide as tasks clicked into place, she smacked her forehead with her empty hand.

"Oh no, I need to call Mom. Its been almost 24 hours, she may be getting worried!"

She fumbled with her keys, trying to find the right one while glancing at her watch, inserting the key in the door and dialing her phone. Somehow nothing got accomplished. Her phone only honked at her as she pushed too many buttons at once, the keys fell to the ground and she realized she wasn't wearing a watch.

Connie 18 years ago
Connie nodded as Nyra stated she needed to call her mother. "You could call Mom first, I don't have much to clean and I'll be over shortly to help you with yours."

Her free hand came up to tilt Nyra's face to hers. The artist's eyes closed and her lips puckered slightly... so Connie leaned and pecked a playful smooch on Nyra's nose. Giggling when her hazel eyes flew open in surprise, Connie winked and said, "Go on."

She watched as Nyra opened her door, then entered her own apartment. She piled the bedclothes that she'd removed previously in the bathroom next to the shower stall door and quickly washed her face. She replaced the baggy pants she was wearing with knee-length denim shorts and slid a couple hair-combs past her temples to hold her hair back.

She looked around, imagining the space filled with people for a Halloween party.
"It will be fun."
"Of course it will be fun!"
"What do you think are the chances of some of Nyra's friends being vampires?"
"Probably pretty good, considering the ones at the Art Show."
"I don't know, I think there will be less than we expect."

Shaking her head to herself, she walked over to Nyra's and left her door open.

Looking to see if Nyra was on the phone or not, she called,
"Honey, I'm here, what can I do?"
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra was happy Connie hadn't kissed her, even though that's what the artist had wanted. At least now she could think about everything she needed to do. Dropping her bag on the island in the kitchen area, she began cleaning. Dishes from last night got put in the sink, towels got tossed into the washing machine, the easels got moved to against the kitchen cabinets to protect and hide the paintings. Moving the boxes of art supplies took a bit more effort, but soon they too were in the small kitchen space between the sink and the island. The two beanbag chairs were plopped onto the futon, which looked like a couch from last night still. Her bedding was piled behind it and joined the chairs, atop it.

Soon the loft was almost as bare as when she moved in. The bamboo fountain stood in a corner, gurgling happily while the futon took up the glass brick bathroom wall. A quick sweep of the floor made the place look like it was used for storage.

After washing her hands in the bathroom and putting on a headband, Nyra called her mother. The conversation was short but both women felt better to have spoken. The artist told her mother about deciding to stay until further notice and requested many items. Knowing something was up, Mrs. McGurn asked more questions. Explanations about Connie flew off her lips. Her mother was thrilled for her, happy to hear her daughter so happy.

As Connie walked in the door and hollered out

"Honey, I'm here, what can I do?"

the two women laughed and hung up quickly. Smiling at her lover, Nyra looked around.

"I think most of its done, though I need to do a load of laundry. Got anything you would like to add in?"

Knowing she now needed to plan out how to arrange everything, the artist foraged up her drawing pad from her backpack. Glancing guiltily at Connie she explained. "I should mop the floor, but I would rather decide how and where I want everything first."
Connie 18 years ago
Connie felt bad as she heard Nyra offering parting words to her mother. "I didn't mean to interrupt your phone call, Nyra."

At the artist's shrug and "It's okay", Connie said, "Well there are our clothes and sheets from last night. But other than that, I'm okay. And I can mop while you think, if you want."

She moved back to her apartment. As she picked up the pile, she wondered what transpired in the conversation, but it had to have been pretty good, because Nyra was smiling and happy. She returned to Nyra's with the armload of sheets and clothes. The faint scent from them was beyond the point of tantalizing and more in the realm of 'really needs to be washed.' "If you could, could you do the sheets first? They... need it the most."
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra had begun rearranging the boxes at Connie's request to do laundry. Soon enough the cabinet door that hid the stacked washer and dryer was open. Inside the washer was a dishtowel and two cloth napkins. Stepping back to allow Connie to put the sheets into the machine gave Nyra time to admire the taller woman's attire. She looked adorable.

At the mention of the sheets needing to be washed, Nyra blushed. Perhaps they should keep a towel handy for quick clean up. Rather than stand around bright red the artist hurried into the bathroom for buckets and cleaning supplies. Soon the two paint stained containers were over half full of warm water. One contained a soap that would clean the floor but not damage the wood or their hands.

Setting the supplies down in the far corner, Nyra turned to Connie.
"I know I am weird but I hate mops. They always seem so dirty. So I mop the floor with rags. You don't have to help if you don't want too."

Knowing this was a long and normally tiring job, Nyra started in the corner. Dipping one rag into the soapy water, scrubbing the floor, then depositing the rag back into the soap. She used the clean water bucket to moisten a second rag and rinse the area thoroughly. The final rag she swiped quickly to help dry the corner. From her seated position on the floor it was a mindless but backbreaking chore.

"Feel free to doodle your new item ideas on the pad if you want. But rinsing and drying always seem to kill me, if you still want to help mop."

She told Connie, who watched her from the island as the washer churned quietly behind its door.
Connie 18 years ago
By the time Connie'd had the sheets and other things that would fit in the washer, she saw that Nyra was suddenly in the far corner with a pair of buckets. One sudsing over, one smitting a tiny bit of steam, Nyra scrubbed and rinsed. "You know, Ah could wash while you rinse, or vice versa, and we could let it air-dry. It's nearly five-thirty, the deliveries will probably be showing up soon."

Truth be mentally-told, Connie quite enjoyed seeing Nyra on her hands and knees, her rounded bottom swaying in the air as she worked. From the bra visible through the shirt against the artist's back, Connie guessed she hadn't changed yet.

Connie walked over then knelt beside Nyra. Taking up a pair of rags, she said,
"Come on, Cinderella, let's get this done together, and maybe we could get a floor steamer or somethin' and keep these knee-killin' scrubfests for therapeutic sessions or somethin'."
Nyra 18 years ago
Smiling her thanks at her companion, Nyra handed the soapy rag to Connie. Wielding her damp rinsing cloth, the two worked swiftly.

"Thank you so much for your help. I know its a pain, but it just seems like the best way to me. Though maybe I could ask my dad to consider putting me something together to help."

Nyra tried to keep up to her lover's speed but found that she had no time to dry, only rinse. By the time the two reached the kitchen island there were heavy footsteps tromping up the stairs.

The delivery guy with a yellow tag on his shirt looked in the open doorway at the two women sitting on the floor. His squeaky announcement of a delivery and installation instructions had them both scrambling to their feet. As Connie took the guy to her place to direct him, Nyra cleaned up the buckets.

A quick change into clean soft cotton pants and T-shirt and the artist was peeking into her lover's loft to check progress with the stereo installation.
Connie 18 years ago
"Wayel, I woulda watched, cause I like watchin' yer bottom, but I feel bad yer workin' and I'm not." Connie took the rag and started scrubbing, almost wax-on wax-off style.

When the first delivery arrived, Connie nearly skipped over to her loft.

"Stereo! YAY!" She felt strangely elated, but then, she hadn't had anything to listen to music outside of her car radio and a tiny alarm radio for several years. There was just something... well, primal wasn't too accurate of a description, but it voiced the feeling... about quality, heart-thumping floor-bumping sound.

She watched as the man quickly unboxed the stereo components, then looked around expectantly.

"No entertainment center?"

Connie's eyes widened as she realized what he was asking, and her palm flew to her forehead with a resounding smack. "Shit!" she exclaimed.

Growling at herself, she tromped, frustrated, over to the boxes near the bathroom and returned with one that was almost full. She set it against the wall and looked at the man's chest, hoping for a name tag... Ah!
"No, Darryl, since we hadn't scheduled the Best Buy deliveries to be here til tomorrow we were going to go out and pick one up."

"Oh, did you want me to come back tomorrow?"

"Thank you Darryl, but that's okay. Let's just set it up on the box and I'll watch while you put it together so I can set it up again." Connie briefly considered stopping out somewhere when she went for... dinner... to choose the entertainment center, but upon remembering she needed to tell certain things to Nyra, decided it might better wait til the next day.

Most of the wires had been connected - and Darryl's attention had stayed on the stereo or Connie's face, as opposed to her breasts - when Nyra's smiling face peeked around the door.
"It's almost together, except he's early so we'll have to take it apart and put it back together tomorrow when we get the entertainment center." Turning back to Darryl, she said, "And we still have to put together her stereo, and the assorted box of music and movies we chose I hope is in your truck, but again, most of the furniture won't be here til tomorrow."

Connie sighed, frustrated with herself.
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra saw the delivery guy sorting through the intestines of the great stereo beast. Plugging wires in, attaching more pieces, incorporating speakers. Like Dr. Frankenstein, he kept adding more until Nyra was sure the end result would be monstrous. Hopefully in a good way, but she was going to withhold judgment for now.

Looking at Connie, Nyra asked, hoping her voice wasn't as fearful as she felt.
"Mine is smaller than that, right?"

Apparently their shopping trip was in no way completed if they forgot things to put the stereos upon. The artist contemplated what exactly would hold her baby beast. Finally inspiration hit and she grabbed Connie in a quick hug.

"I've got it!"

Racing to her loft, she began rummaging through boxes. Soon the island had an assortment of tools on the table; palette knives, texture tools, soldering iron and a lump of melted wax.

"Whoopsies, I can only hope that is leftovers and I didn't accidentally I destroy something." she said to the wax.

She struggled for a moment with the bottom of the box, but soon it yielded its bounty. A flat board. Slightly dinged here and there from the items atop it, a stain from the brown wax and an open knot hole made this board unique. Setting this on the floor, Nyra began searching what cupboards she could get into.

Finding her prize behind the lowest door next to the laundry, the artist began trying to extricate herself from the cabinet. Thankfully nothing fell atop her and she emerged, highly disheveled, headband askew but with three wrought iron hanging plant holders.

Remembering she had bought them and screws to get plants was a stroke of luck. She had forgotten that she did not have a drill to install them. Plus with her attention span she would probably have dead plants in a week. Hence they had been put in a cupboard and forgotten. Though they were beautiful. Thrift store find that cost $3 for the set. The old iron must have been salvaged from something because it had a beautiful color and texture. The flat edge had six spots for screws to go through it and into a wall, making it protrude about a foot, forward. The upward spiral sweep had leaves and accent points before ending in a backwards C. She felt confident that between the lip against the wall and the swoop, the board could support a stereo.

Now to find out if Connie or the delivery guy had a drill or screwdriver.
Connie 18 years ago
Nyra's simple comment of "Mine is smaller than that, right?" only reinforced Connie's earlier estimation that technology and Nyra just didn't get along.

She nearly fell over when Nyra hugged her, exclaiming, "I've got it!" then disappeared into her loft. Shrugging at Darryl, he stood and stretched.

"All set, ma'am." He handed Connie a business card. "If you like, you can certainly call me to rearrange the system when you get the entertainment center, especially if you want the speakers hung. I need to run back out to the truck to get the second system. Should I bring any tools?"

"Screwdriver, hammer, I'm not sure, she's rummaging for something." Connie had heard the clinking and thudding of Nyra's search. "Can't hurt."

Darryl disappeared back down the steps as Connie stared at the empty space occupied by the stereo.

"I can't believe you forgot the entertainment center."
"I can't believe you're worried about that right now."
"I can't believe you're arguing about going out shopping with Nyra again."

Thudding her head gently against the door, she resolved to keep consistent lists to make sure everything got taken care of. Especially if she and Nyra would have access to each other's demesnes, Connie knew that her lover had a streak of... absentmindedness. She moved next door.

"Darryl's coming back in with tools and your stereo. Where did you want to put it, and what was all that racket?"

As she spoke, Darryl returned to the landing and set the toolbox just inside the doorway. "What's the plan, ladies?"
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra was looking around the room, wondering where she wanted her shelf installed when Connie and the delivery guy came in. Smiling as she straightened her headband, more to keep the hair out of her eyes than to primp, she told herself.

"I would like a speaker in every corner of the ceiling, please. Soon as I figure out where I want this shelf installed I will let you know."

She belatedly realized that the ceiling was pretty tall, the guy would need a ladder. Good thing the business downstairs was still open this late, they probably had one. "Connie, would you mind seeing if they have a ladder downstairs?"

Putting the art tools back into the box she got the board from proved to be futile, as when she tried to move it the end gave. She knew there was a reason she had put that heavy board in there. Explaining her idea as she sat on the floor checking her tools over.

"The plant hangers can be installed close enough for the board to rest easily atop them. Then the stereo unit can live on top of that. I would really like it to be high enough to be out of the way but not so high that I cant work it. I think near the last cabinet on wall would be a nice out of the way place, so long as it doesn't interfere with the walkway."

Belatedly, she realized that the soldering iron in her hand probably did not help make any point she was trying to make. Blushing, she put it back in the broken box with everything else. Her storage unit should be here soon to provide homes for everything.

"I really appreciate your coming out at such an odd time to install this for me. Thanks so much." Nyra spoke to the delivery man earnestly. She would have to remember to tip him before he left.

Mentally she began placing her purchases around the room. The storage unit should go on a solid wall, not blocking the windows, but she wanted to be near them to work, so it would need to be easily accessible. Somehow it would all come together, she knew. But it may be messy in the meantime.

Grabbing up a dishtowel, Nyra began cleaning up the board.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie returned with the ladder (after feigning needing assistance from one of the interns) and handed it over to Darryl.

As he was in the second corner, attaching the speaker, she heard heavy footsteps on the stairs. Hanging out of the doorway, she foofed the lock of hair blocking her vision.
"And you are?"

"Sears delivery for Stone and McGurn." Connie nodded.

"Follow me," she requested, and walked back over to her loft. "Not everything goes here," she stated, "But we have people working in the other loft so we don't want to get in their way. Just set it along the island."

She watched as several boxes were marched in. Pillows, Nyra's lamps, and other things she didn't remember ended up next to her kitchen. Handing the delivery man a twenty, she saw him out.

She returned to Nyra's loft and saw the fourth speaker being hung.
"He's a quick worker, isn't he Nyra? Would you like something to drink, Darryl?"
Nyra 18 years ago
"He has done a fabulous job! And look, I think I plotted out how I want things." Nyra was almost bouncing with excitement as she replied to Connie. Though at the mention of drinks, a quick look at her kitchen showed that there was no way she could provide any. At a glance down at the island though brought her art pad to her attention. So she added a few more details and then looked up to show Connie.

Everything was plotted out neatly and labeled. Since everything but the couch being covered should be delivered, she planned out every detail. The loft would look like a home rather than a temporary fix.

"Another delivery!" The artist asked at the sound of footsteps on the stairs. The guy from Pier 1 stood in the doorway. "Hey, looks like you need this delivery lady." He said with a laugh. Well, her space did look kind of barren, with everything piled up out of the way.

"Please bring the McGurn delivery in here. Ms. Stone will take hers in the loft next door." She smiled at him, hopefully he was as talented as Darryl was. Soon the influx of boxes started. Thankfully the storage unit was first. She began directing boxes and furniture happily.
Connie 18 years ago
The Sears delivery finished quickly, as they'd only had small items and no real assemblies required. Connie assisted the Pier 1 deliveryman as it seemed all their small items were packed into the same three boxes - mixed, of course - and pointed him to the right places for it.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught Nyra staring longly at one of the CDs she'd chosen, and Connie agreed - she too wanted to try out her new "music box" but knew they had a lot of work ahead of them. Both unpacking and cleaning and shopping for the party.

When the Pier 1 deliveryman left, Darryl was on his way out.
"Thank you again Darryl."

"No problem Ms. Stone. Thank you for the Coke!" He waved when he reached the stairs.

"Well, hon. We're done for the night." Her mind flitted to the sheet of paper sitting under her list... but she knew they had an awful lot of work to do to prepare. "We have some shopping still left to do, and food to prepare... How do you want to work it?"
Nyra 18 years ago
Who knew having other people lug purchases up to your door could be so exhausting?

All but the items were situated, except those being reupholstered which would be delivered tomorrow. But dishes needed to be washed. Laundry needed to be run and general straightening to remove the last few tidbits of packaging. So much left to do. So little time.

"How about you make us some lists. Then I will go get food and start on that, while you get the things we forgot today? Because honestly I cannot even imagine going back for more furniture and technology. The stereo is frightening enough for me thank you!"

A brief look around showed that it wouldn't take too long to get things in order, though they may not get to sleep till next tuesday.

"Once the prep work is done, we can sleep."

She was looking forward to that last one, particularly if they got to use the nice warm sheets in her dryer for Connie's bed.
Connie 18 years ago
"I also have to work tonight," Connie reminded Nyra. "I can go without some sleep, so more than likely we'll be ready by noon tomorrow."

Nyra looked slightly crestfallen at her comments, but Connie new the next eighteen hours were going to be critical for their party. Her accent melted away as she took charge.

"Make sure you call your friends that you mentioned to invite them. We'll probably also want some security just to make sure we don't get any rowdy people let alone strangers off the street. I'll also make sure I alert the managers downstairs that we'll have more deliveries and not to worry. It's a good thing it's the end of the week, we don't want to interrupt their course of business. What about food? Can you have the company that catered the art gallery recommended by Bertrand? Oh and don't forget your costume!"

Costume!

"Pirate."
"Witch."
"Vampire."

Bah! Of all things to be indecisive on!
Nyra 18 years ago
Nodding at the suggestions Nyra was pleased. Connie's organization would help out immensely.

"I can get done anything we make a list for!" She agreed boldly.

The two women completed lists, assigning tasks each thought she would be good at. Soon everything appeared more manageable. It was going to be a great party.

((OOC: Connie & Nyra out! Lock please. All movement done with permissions throughout the thread.))