Work Responsibilities

Danielle hurried to the limo, gesturing for the driver to remain in the driver's seat and opening the door herself. Seeing Claire behind her, she held open the door to allow her to enter before sliding inside afterward. She gave the barrier between them and the driver a little whack with her hand, then passed the paper with the address on it to the driver when he rolled the window down.

Much like herself, the driver did not need to be told to hurry.

She reminded herself to take a deep breath and be sure to stay calm before looking to Claire.

"Thank you for coming with me so quickly; I know I must have put you on the spot."Â? Frowning reflectively, she continued. "I do hope Shay will be alright; she seemed quite happy in the club but I have to admit I went so quickly that there wasn't much thought for niceties for either of you."Â?

Realizing that she had just said a bit of a mouthful and was getting worked up, she looked out the window for a moment to clear her head. Whatever was happening with Arin, her coming into the situation being agitated wasn't what her boss needed and she knew it was important to be calm for any number of reasons. It wasn't difficult for her; as long as she was working toward a solution she had a focus for her concern. Turning back to Claire with a little grin, she decided she probably owned the woman a bit more explanation.

"I'm an assistant to a higher up executive at Meridian Enterprises; I love my job but there are times when I have to drop everything and get to work right away. Nature of the business world, or at least this company, but I'm quite well taken care of and, well, this is part of what I signed up for."Â?

While she had certainly left some details out of her explanation, her statements were, in fact, quite close to the truth. Checking their progress out the window, she added: "I really appreciate you coming; we're actually fairly close now, I'll try not to keep you long."Â?

Claire 18 years ago
Claire smiled and held up a hand with a shake of her hand.

"There is no need to worry about it; an emergency is something that most people understand. It was not a situation that was exactly forseen and so I'm certain all will be forgiven."

She turned keen eyes on Dani as something like understanding dawned. Claire pieced together what facts she knew first: Meridian was the name of Evenhet's human company like Duibne was for the orphans, Dani's leaving in a hurry and being upset about her boss which she called which she mentioned was a higher level executive. Could she be dealing with another vampire? It was certainly enough to make her wonder but not enough to make her know for certain that she was dealing with a knowledgeable person. Treading softly was something that she could do when necessary.

"I know of Meridian, as a matter of fact. The family who runs it has made quite a name for themselves. Do you work for one of them?"

She looked out the window as well and wondered if the area Evenhet had settled in had been allowed to decay so much since her last visit to Nachton.

'One should allow that such things do happen to change after hundreds of years.' She chided herself and smiled back at Dani.

"It is no trouble at all."
Danielle 18 years ago
Danielle frowned as the limo pulled to a stop and took another peek out the window. It seemed they were at a red light, and while that was frustrating she reasoned that it would probably be better to obey the traffic laws even when it was an emergency. It probably wouldn't do much good to explain things to the cops; even if Meridian had a certain amount of pull in the police department, right now that would slow them down more than waiting out a stoplight.

She couldn't help but think that things would be so much less complicated in situations like these if vampires could be accepted into the human world. As glad as she was to be able to help Arin in times of need, she thought it must be quite trying to wait on one small girl dressed in a Lolita outfit in the back of a limo when he needed help.

That change would come, though, and she hoped it would be in her lifetime.

She turned back to Claire as the limo began to move forward, shaking off her own thoughts.

"Yes, I'm Arin Bjorn's assistant."Â? She smiled, proud to say so. "Nicest guy you could meet, too."Â?

She wondered just what Claire knew of Meridian, and the Bjorn family; it was a big company and Arin especially was something of a public figure in Nachton. She found herself hoping that she hadn't inadvertently brought an 'Ari grrrl' around; that would certainly be awkward. Somehow she didn't think that was likely. Those girls tended to be a bit more...screechy. Not that she thought they did any harm; in fact, it was probably good for him.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire raised her eyebrows at the mention of Alfarinn's modern alias. How interesting. It seemed unlikely that his personal assistant, as she called herself, would be a mere human. Evenhet were a bit odd in that area but at the very least she couldn't imagine Alfarinn having a close working relationship with someone who didn't know what he was.

The question now was how best to proceed.

"Yes, I've met Arin before though it has been some time since we've actually spoken. I believe he was going by Alfarinn back then."

To most saying his full name would mean little but someone not of Meridian knowing it and being human seemed unlikely, so Dani could perhaps see that Claire was safe to speak with. For the other possibility, if she happened to be human and not knowledgeable of vampires then saying Alfarinn's true name wouldn't have caused any harm either.
Danielle 18 years ago
Danielle folded her hands and rested them in her lap in a deliberate sort of gesture. She normally moved her hands so much while speaking that making an effort to keep them still could only be a sign that she was nervous.

"That must have been a long time ago indeed."Â?

Odds were, then, that Claire was a vampire. What sort of vampire remained to be seen, but in Danielle's mind, one judged a vampire's character in about the same way that one judged a human's, and this new information changed little. She hadn't believed Claire was some sort of mass murdering collector of toe nails before and wouldn't start in on that sort of thinking now.

Claire wasn't Evenhet, or at least Danielle seriously doubted it. Anantya was the most likely guess, though one never knew for certain with such things; Claire could be a -really- good actress, but Tacharan seemed like a stretch. In any case, she was safe enough what with the protected status being a familiar offered, but it wouldn't hurt to make it clear that she belonged to someone, and an Evenhet Elder no less. Anantya wasn't known for holding any sort of regard for humans, but they did have a great deal of respect for their own laws and culture, and it wasn't just against the rules to harm another vampire's familiar; Danielle was given to believe it was incredibly rude as well. Something she seriously doubted Claire would be.

"I wasn't fortunate enough to know him when he went by that name; before my time. He brought me into the family when he discovered a need for a loyal sort to take care of matters he couldn't attend to himself."Â?

She considered the fact that Arin might not be thrilled with her bringing someone from a rival clan around while he could be somewhat vulnerable, but believed Claire had made her offer to help in good faith; while Anantya and Evenhet may disagree, they weren't at each other's throats or anything and Arin worked with the other clan once in a while. Besides, coincidences like this usually happened for a reason, and Dani just had a feeling it would be a bad idea to turn away help right now.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire thought about what Danielle had said with an absent frown. The mention of family did make it appear that she knew what Alfarinn was but not being around back then suggested she wasn't a vampire, a human then, an Evenhet familiar.

For her own sake, humans were just not a good investment. They grew up, they grew old and then they died and you were left feeling that loss. On the other hand it might be nice to know someone other than vampires again. She sometimes worked at children's shelters in the evenings, bringing herbal remedies to the sick ones but she moved on quickly lest she grow attached to them.

She had come back to Nachton in part for a change. Life had been spent doing her job for her elder and little more; it had come to the point that she didn't really know what she wanted out of this existence any longer and the decades flowed one into the other in an alarming blur.

Realizing she had been silent while she pondered, Claire smiled and said.

"Quite a long time ago. I can understand where he might find that useful. I work for Anantya, myself, but fear not I have no ill will towards Alfarinn."

Unlike my sire, she thought silently. It would probably not be a good idea to mention him to anyone once they arrived at their destination and she didn't know how much Dani knew about Anantya but it was probably not a good idea to mention Sorin to her either. Claire had sat silently for a number of rants about the blonde menace while she was still in his company.

She was hoping she was correct in her assumption of Dani's knowledge but if not Claire supposed she could make up a job description for a company called Anantya and hope Dani never mentioned the name to her boss.

/ooc: Sorin info with permission from the man himself who said something about any excuse to bash the blonde menace was a good one. Sorry Alfarinn :X
Danielle 18 years ago
Danielle smiled easily once Claire explained where she was coming from, relaxing when her new friend mentioned that she bore Arin no ill will. She certainly had not wanted to cause problems for her boss, as it seemed he had troubles enough, and it was a relief to be more certain that she had used good judgment. There were times when she knew she could be too trusting, but supposed there was a fine line between acting on good instincts and being naïve.

"I'm very glad to hear that, and more pleased then ever that you came with me."Â?

Realizing that this conversation had, at the very least, taken her mind off checking their progress out the window ever two seconds, she decided keeping the conversation might be a good idea. She didn't want Arin to have to feel stressful emotions on top of anything else he was going through and chatting calmed her down.

"So how did you two meet?"Â? She held up one hand, realizing that she may have asked a nosy question. "If you don't mind me asking, of course; I just find it interesting."Â? The nature of Arin's work could make questions somewhat awkward at times, but Danielle hoped she had made the light heartedness of her query apparent.
Claire 18 years ago
Claire smiled and thought about how to describe meeting Alfarinn.

"Well honestly they had just formed Evenhet not long before I was made a vampire only 10 years before actually. It was some meeting I believe to clarify something between the clans. These things were still being worked out. I was... there with my sire."

She looked down a moment and then back up at Dani, remembering in vivid detail, as she always did, the time she first saw Alfarinn Jarlsen. She had been sitting in the meeting behind Sorin keeping notes and writing impressions of things that her sire might have missed and could look into more closely later. Her head was bent most of the time over her paper but occasionally she would glance around at these great personages of vampire kind assembled in one room. It was awe inspiring, a meeting of immortal royalty, these were the souls that decided every piece of their culture, what was acceptable and what was not and many had been around long enough to see kingdoms rise and fall while their societies lived on.

Alfarinn was making a new empire along with his sister and to a young vampire barely a few years turned he was almost inhuman in stature, so idealistic and brave. He spoke with logic and grace about what they hoped to achieve and his faith in the idea seemed so alive by comparison to his Anantya counterparts all sitting there with the weight of time and tradition on their side. They were impressive as well, so calm and noble but to a youth who still felt her humanity, Evenhet's ideals struck her heart as something good and she found herself hoping they would succeed in their goals.

Claire spoke with a quiet smile

"He was very impressive. "

A slight blush at the confession caused her to look back out the window in time to notice the limo coming to a stop.

/ooc: How she met Alfarinn with permission. The situation agreed upon, the impressions, her own.
Danielle 18 years ago
Danielle smiled warmly at Claire's accounting; it seemed some things with Arin never changed.

"I do think he's at his best when speaking of Evenhet. Even after all this time, he still seems to put so much heart into his clan. It's truly inspiring. Oh, we're here."Â?

Realizing the limo had pulled to a stop, Danielle opened the door and stepped out, feeling the hairs on the back of her neck rise at the sight in front of her.

The first thing that registered upon exiting the limo was the smell; some sort of burnt organic odor filled the air, overlaid by a metallic scent that Danielle thought could be blood. Her eyes confirmed that observation.

In short, it looked like a war zone in front of the brownstone. Blood splattered the street and sidewalk, leading in trails to the front door and off to the side of the house. Fur and feathers scattered in the breeze; long white and gray hairs and the large black feathers that probably came from Arin's crows. Oddly, there were a few smaller white feathers drifting around as well. Bird droppings littered the pavement, and while that was normal enough in the city, they had only just had rain; yet more evidence that Arin's companions had been at his side in whatever horrible thing had happened here.

She was sure her heart was in her throat as she turned to Claire, and she wasn't sure exactly how she managed to choke the words out.

"They must be inside. I know this isn't your affair; if you'd prefer to take the limo home I'll understand, but if your offer to join me still stands..."Â?

She looked back to the townhouse, stiffened her upper lip against a surge of emotion, and started for the door, reminding herself that she had spoken to Arin not ten minutes ago. Something terrible had happened here, but with some help he would come out of this, and that's what she needed to focus on now.

/ooc Both out and moved to the sewers "Hunting the Hounds"