Enjoying the sunset...(lock please)

Being cooped up in her office all day, writing, Shay was ready to relax now.

She'd mixed up a pitcher of martini's, and put it on a tray, along with an ice bucket, a shaker, a couple glasses, and a plate of cheeses and crackers.
Carefully carrying it out to her patio, she set everything down on the table between the lounge chairs. Then she proceeded to sit down, lean back, and gaze up at the darkening sky.

Her patio was one of the things she enjoyed most about her flat. It was quite large, and faced the woods, mostly, with just a bit of the street visible on the right side. The street was very quiet though, and Shay didn't anticipate any issues from that small bit of exposure.

The air was starting to cool...autumn was definitely here. The trees in the woods appeared to be half evergreens...pines, cedars, and the like...and half deciduous, already deep shades of orange, red, and yellow. And with the pinks and purples in the sky, her eyes feasted on the colors.

Taking up one of the glasses, she added ice to the shaker, and some of the gin, shook, and poured. 'Ahhhhhh...good stuff', she thought. She pulled a pack of More cigarettes from her pocket, along with the gold lighter they had given her at the station, when she left, and lit one up. The first drag was always the best.

Resting her head on the lounge, she could smell the night blooming jasmine, gardenias, and even an occasional scent of rose. She knew then that even if she didn't get any information for her book, outside of just using the city for atmosphere, she was going to stick around for a while. The peacefulness was just nothing like she'd ever experienced elsewhere.

She took another hit off her cigarette, and opened her eyes...the sun only had a few more minutes before it would be gone for the night. But what a glorious showing it was making on it's exit.

Shay 18 years ago
As she sat there, Shay's thoughts had run the gamut. For the most part they centered on where her book was going, to her new life and home. She hadn't realized during that time the sun had fully set, and she was now sitting on her patio in the dark.

She didn't mind though. The air still was not cold enough to force her inside, and the alcohol had both warmed and relaxed her to the point where she was now nicely lethargic. One thing different about her life as a writer, versus how she'd lived as a cop...she now let her guard down, and really relaxed a lot more. She needed that. She had found always being on the alert...aware, and conscious of everything going on around her, just was not really her.

Briefly she considered calling an old friend from back home...no...this was her home now... Debating, she eventually decided to wait. She would allow herself more time to become part of the life here...and consider this home, before she touched anyone in her previous life.

Setting her empty martini glass down, she stubbed out her second cigarette, and stood. The woods looked very inviting right now...to Shay. Any other person, in their right minds, might have thought she was completely daft at that thought. But the darkness...the eerie quiet...beckoned to her. Her sense of adventure...wonder...and the more darker side she rarely showed anyone else...were all piqued by what might lie in the black abyss that lie within the trees.

She walked out the gate of her patio, and cautiously towards the trees. She had put on a hoodie for warmth, and stuffed her hands in her jean pockets. Her eyes were adjusting, but it was still somewhat difficult to see, so she moved slowly...but onward she proceeded.
Shay 18 years ago
As she walked into the woods, she began to wonder how foolish this act might be. It was more than odd how it had gone from deep dusk, to almost pitch black once she had crossed into the trees.

And each sound she heard was magnified...the tiny twigs and pine needles under her feet became so loud, as she stepped onto them. Being night, the birds had ceased chirping, but the stillness still seemed a bit unnatural.

Occasionally she'd hear what she thought were footsteps, but when she'd stop walking, the sounds stopped as well. She was getting paranoid, she thought.

However, after just a short walk, she realized - foolish or not - this was not going to yield anything to her. Whatever she thought she might find in the woods, would need to wait for daylight.

She turned around and started her walk back to her flat.
Shay 18 years ago
She had to laugh, as she walked back. For some reason the hairs on the back of her neck were standing, and if that wasn't odd, Shay didn't know what was. Things didn't scare her...at least not conventional things.

She tried to shake off the feeling by thinking of those she'd met in Nachton thus far. She had been extremely lucky when she'd gone shopping for boots that day. Though she did not come home with boots, she did come home with beautifully painful heels. But heels, that when incorporated into her ensemble that same evening, had led her to meeting Mathias. And, the actual buying of said heels had introduced her to Addison, Dani, and Claire...a boon of acquaintances that she hoped to build on now.

Nearing the patio, Shay decided she was still too wired up to go back and sit. And she just didn't want to think of writing anymore tonight. So she turned and walked down to the sidewalk, and set out to get to know her neighborhood better. A nice walk around the blocks...a lot could be learned about how people lived, by seeing their homes at night.
Panos Mehalitsenos 18 years ago
As he got closer, he saw the shadowy figure had a womanly form. He licked his lips. Women were always easier than men. Unless you went into a gay bar you couldn't easily seduce a man, and men never felt helpless.

He slowed his pace to look casual and tucked his hands in the pockets of his khaki colored corduroys. He had thrown on a simple black hoodie and he had left the hood down. The top of his bald head was beginning to feel cooler. He thought about putting up the hood, but didn't want to seem menacing. As he approached her he spoke.

A beautiful evening is it not? I'm glad to see I am not the only one out enjoying it.
Shay 18 years ago
Shay became aware of the man long before he spoke. Geared towards being aware of her surroundings, and doubly in tune tonight, being in a strange place, she saw him as soon as her eyes could focus on his movement.

She had nothing valuable on...she never sat at home wearing jewelry...so she crossed her arms and continued to walk, straight, and tall but eyes averted.

When he spoke, she glanced his way, and answered.

"Yes, yes it is...and the opportunity to enjoy them won't be with us much longer...winter and all."

So far...nothing untoward. She had answered politely and without any attitude. She kept her pace as casual as when she started, and kept looking around the neighborhood, as she had been before his arrival.
He could smell the doubt in her and it tickled his lust. It wasn't completely dark outside and the bits of moon lit the area enough to see her face.

'Simple beauty.' he thought to himself. Immediatly he chastised his thoughts.

'Whats wrong with you man? You eat humans you do not admire their flaws and notice their graces.'

Ah yes, winter. Winter will bring us another type of beauty though. A serene crystallized wonderland. I admit I am excited to see those days begin.

He paused his steps for a moment and smiled a genuine toothless grin. His chin dimpled in when he smiled like this causing his face to look younger than he actually was. Then again, his entire body looked younger than he actually was.

Could you tell me if I'm near the dog park? I became lost in thought and can't seem to regain my bearings. I always go to the dog park when i have alot on my mind, even at night people bring their dogs out to play and exercise, it's calming. In short I'm lost and I'm terribly embarrassed to just come out and say it.

'There, fill her with more lies and hope for the best right?' he scoffed at himself. When would he ever just be honest and hope for the best? Didn't that make better sense? All he knew were lies and that lying was a habit worse than smoking.
Shay 18 years ago
His words took her a little by surprise. She hadn't thought him a poet when she first noticed him, yet he spoke with a lot of color and imagry.

"I am excited as well...I've never lived with 'real' seasons before..."

She remained on guard, but slid her hands into her jean pockets, and loosened up a tad.

"Dog park? I'm afraid you chose a poor guide. I've only recently moved here, and tonight, in fact, is my first real exploration. I suppose we may run across it, if we keep walking...or someone else who might know...particularly if they frequent the park in the evenings."

She returned his grin.

"No need to be embarrassed...you're confiding in a woman, not another man...we have differing thoughts on asking directions."

He seemed genuine, but Shay was still walking an unknown path, and would probably remain cautious.
This is why lies work best, he reminded himself. I was out looking for a snack may i drink your blood? isnt the best introduction.

She had also said we, amd that was an invitation to walk with her. Panos turned his body in to the direction she was going to walk next to her.

Never had real seasons?! What a shame indeed. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

He paused and sighed quickly.

Please forgive me, I havent even introduced myself. My name is Paul.

He gave her one of his alias's instead of his real name. Currently the name Panos could possibly lead him to danger. It wasn't a common name but he had no doubt that Meegan's annoying lover knew it and he may have even spread the word. No sense frightening this one away just by saying his name.

The fear makes their blood rich. An inner voice reminded him. A conversation with a human without violence COULD go well. Another voice snapped. In all the years of being alive he was finally getting lonely. But there many vampires to choose from in cities all over the world. Why was he trying so hard to befriend humans?
Shay 18 years ago
Innocent questions were always answered without hesitation.

"Mind? Heavens no...I've lived in California all my life. I've traveled a lot, but never thought to even consider somewhere else home...until recently. But I'm a writer, and California has become too...too...boring?"

Probably 'because' she'd lived in California all her life, it held no surprises for her any longer.

"And in California, you've got sun, and gray, and that's about it."

She was starting to feel more comfortable walking along with the guy. Though it was getting darker, her eyes were adjusting and she was catching glimpses of him from the corner of her eyes.

"It's nice to meet you, Paul. My name is Shay."

She stopped and held a hand to him, and smiled. She also took the opportunity to look him over a little better. She was now even more surprised to see he was considerably younger than she had originally thought.

"Have you been in the neighborhood long, yourself?"

Visiting the dog park...she just assumed he must also live nearby.
Panos shook her hand firmly. Not so tight she'd take it threateningly, but tight enough she knew he was no sissy.

Well, I've been here about 3 months. I'm currently living at my sisters condo while she is out of town. Sort of house sitting for her. But I will probably looking for a place myself soon. I must say I do like it in Nachton, there are so many things to keep a person here. The nightlife alone, it's something out of a novel. Though California, I hear that's like being in another world completely. Nachton must seem almost rural! He laughed.

He liked the way she held no hesitation in her voice when she spoke. She was confident in herself but not overly. She didn't give off the impression that she was smarter than him and even if she was, which he doubted, she spoke with interest in others.

This is how he had wanted it to go with Meegan, but no, she had played him and called for her boy toy. She had rejected him without actually standing up and doing it. He had saved her from Chryseis and in return she had played with him. Women had died for less in the past, Meegan wasn't going to get away with it.

It wasn't time to think about Meegan now. It would just infuriate him more, and he did not want to show that side to this woman. So far she had been nothing but equal to him and he enjoyed that. She would be safe tonight, he would have to look for a different snack later. Right now he would enjoy the company.
Shay 18 years ago
Now it was Shay's turn to find herself a little lost. Highly unusual for her, as she was pretty much constantly aware of where she was. It hadn't seemed she'd been 'that' involved in what he'd been saying. Chiding herself for her inattention, she quickly made note of where they were now, and regained her bearings.

"How nice you and your sister were available for each other. My siblings are all younger than me, and all very involved in their own lives. But I have no doubts they would be there for me as well. Family is important, and I'm glad I've stayed close to mine."

They seemed to be nearing a park, though Shay didn't seen any people with pets about. She took that to mean it wasn't the park Paul had been seeking.

"Funny you would mention novels...and the nightlife here. I was recently introduced to the House of Pain. The coincidence being I had gone there to do some research for the book I'm writing."

Shay had slowed her walk a bit...was it a coincidence? Her suspicions were alerted again, but she didn't let them show in her words. Being of this nature for so long, she'd learn to keep such thoughts to herself. She also had no reason to think his comments were anything more than simple conversation.

"You may want to check the complex my condo is in...I think they have one or two vacancies...if you like this neighborhood, anyway."
You know, I may just do that. This neighborhood is quiet at night and i ...appreciate that. Besides, it wouldn't be bad to know a few people where I lived. Thank you for the heads up.

He gave her a large smile and looked down to the sidewalk, admiring the the precise edging someone had done on their lawn.

My sister and I are currently not getting along. She choose her new boytoy over me and then took off. I'm not caring for her belongings any longer.

He shrugged.

Families, some times you love them and sometimes you hate em. Anyways, what type of novel would bring you to The House of Pain? That place is quiet interesting to say the least. A little rough for my tastes. I wonder how you made out alive.

His last comment he let slide as a sarcastic silly remark, but the real meaning was true. Most humans who ventured into the House of Pain did not walk back out, defiantly not the females, and if they did they were no longer human.
Shay 18 years ago
There was no way Shay could miss the emotion in Paul's voice, when he spoke of his sister and her 'boy toy'. It was obvious there was no love lost there, at least not at the moment. That, as a topic of conversation, was now closed to Shay. She knew better than to pursue anything like that with a friend, much less a complete stranger. Instead, she merely nodded. Things with her family were on an even keel at this time, but she'd been on that roller coaster herself, many times.

"The story takes place in a city much like Nachton, and because of that I need to research all aspects. The club was pointed out to me by a guy I met while out shopping. One thing led to another, and a couple other women met me there. I truly had a marvelous time."

She probably would never think of the House of Pain again, without thinking of Mathias. She wondered how much longer she'd wait for him to contact her, before she called his cell phone.

Paul's comment on her 'making it out alive' was a little over the top, and she looked at him with an expression of confusion.

"I guess I can see how some might find it 'rough', though honestly, nothing untoward happened while I was there. Besides that...I've a little experience with 'rough crowds'...and though I don't seek them out, I think I can handle myself all right...for the most part."

Shay wasn't stupid. She wouldn't have put herself into a treacherous situation, knowingly. But with Addison, Dani, Claire...and Mathias...having all been there...she certainly didn't think the club was truly dangerous.

She laughed lightly, and turned towards him.

"I made it out alive...the same way I made it in."

She winked and faced front again.

"Does anything look familiar yet?"
He took notice that they were nearing Meegans condo again and he was pleased that the two areas weren't that far away. He'd be closer soon anyways.

Actually yes, the neighborhood decor is getting familiar. A little more cast ironish.

He sucked in a breath and sighed. It would be a breaking and entering night now for sure. He felt weak willed and his whole body was tired, it had been quite a stretch since his last bite. Maybe he should hit up The House of Pain himself. Get drunk of ignorant teenager blood go home and pass out blissfully in a sea of red. It was a good thought. Maybe he could check out how she had no marks on her after leaving the club.

It was a pleasant surprize that we met this evening. Not many adventure out this late at night. There's always rumors of something 'just beyond' your line of vision that you can't see, but you can feel. Perhaps we are a mini City of Angels. I guess i will have to travel there one day myself to be sure. LA always did look intriguing. But anyways, If I can be so bold, I'd like to offer you the chance to visit another one of Nachton's night clubs. Club Eternity. It's on a finer scale than House, but equally as entertaining at times.
Shay 18 years ago
She had noticed the differing architectural styles as well, and while she liked the older character of the units they were nearing, she still liked the clean and simpler lines of her condo. But, to each his own...she was glad there was such an eclectic, and diverse group to choose from.

"Yes, it was a nice surprise. I had originally thought about investigating the woods behind my condo, but when I saw it was too dark to really see anything, I came to the conclusion a nice walk of the neighborhood would probably be more advantageous...and it turned out I was right."

Though now she thought she should probably turn and go back. It was getting a little chilly, and she had only initially thought about walking around the block.

"L.A. is unique...and one should definitely experience it at least once..."

His invitation to a different club caused her natural curiosity to perk up.

"Club Eternity? Do you enter it through the sewers as well?"

She might be willing, though she wished she had some way to contact Dani...and get her take on the club.

She did have someone she could call and ask...
Mathias 18 years ago
(After the events in Catching up and thinking

As Helion slept under a blanket of ebon,Mathias arose and stretched. His rest was filled with thoughts of Shay,and nightmares of what could happen to her.
You are the grim one,aren't you Old Man she teased him.
You know what could happen,and what I may be responsible for...
Very true,plus that would conveniently allow you to continue hiding as well
That is untrue - I bear a heavy burden,and the weight of another soul would be too much
Merciful Jesu, you are grumpy today

Mathias,then. was thankful for the blissful silence afterward.But he couldn't shake the image of Shay,nor forget her warmth in his arms...
Shay 18 years ago
"Listen, Paul...I've enjoyed meeting you, you've been nice company, and I appreciate you taking the time to walk with me as I got acquainted with the neighborhood, but I think you're going to need to find that park on your own. I really have no idea what's all about here, and I'm getting a little cold."

She rubbed her arms with her hands and turned back towards the way they'd just walked.

"I would like to take you up on your offer to visit Club Eternity, but I'm not sure what nice I'm going to be free next. If you have a cell number I could reach you at, I'll be happy to get back to you tomorrow?"

She was completely sincere, and had it been earlier, and warmer out, she would have spent a little more time walking. But the earlier martinis were now making her a little sleepy as well.

Since the only person she knew how to contact in town was Mathias, she wanted to call him and find out what he knew about Club Eternity, before accepting Paul's invite. She smiled to herself. It was a legitimate excuse to call him, and she might even be able to talk him into meeting her there as well.

She was now walking back towards her condo, and hoping Paul didn't think she was flaking on him. He seemed like a nice guy, and another possible friend in the making.
He quickly flipped out a little card with his number neatly typed across the center. It was blank besides that. He extended his arm towards her with the card pointing out.

You can reach me by that number. Feel free to call any time. Take care walking home, I hope i haven't distracted you too far away from your place.Thank you for this evenings company as well.

He smiled at her and hoped her walk home would be uneventful. He thought about following her home where she couldn't see him to make sure. He thought better of it and decided that if something did go wrong and he popped out to help her, she might be more afraid.

Oh, and there is a distinguished entrance above the sewers where one can breathe fresh air and not the pungent smell of waste.
Mathias 18 years ago
Finishing his workout,Mathias decided to call Shay.
No use in hiding Old Man...besides moping and wailing isn't your style
Mathias laughed at the notion of having a 'style'...he had always thought himself without such identifiers.

Stretching out on his couch,Mathias pulled out his phone and dialed Shay's home...
Shay 18 years ago
She took the card, glanced at it, smiled, and put it in her jeans pocket. Taking Paul's hand in hers she gave it a quick squeeze.

"No...I think I'll find my way back, the same as we came. And I am going to make a point of calling you tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to seeing this new club, especially now that you've told me a person can enter it through conventional means. Sewer access is just a bit much."

She smiled, and wrinkled her nose in distaste. If she were to go back to the House of Pain again, she didn't believe she'd be going alone.

"Take care yourself, Paul, and good luck in finding your park...and a new home."

Giving him a final wave, she turned, quickened her pace, and headed for home.

After walking for half the time she had in leaving, Shay reached the patio of her condo just in time to hear the phone ringing, inside. Pulling her keys from her pocket, she took Paul's card and set it down on the table, next to the martini pitcher, and unlocked the door.

Dashing inside, she jumped onto the couch, grabbed the phone, and breathlessly answered.

"Hello? Shay here."

Phone tucked between her shoulder and neck, she reached for the nearby lamp and turned it on. Rolling over onto her back, she waited for the voice on the other end. She kicked her shoes off simultaneously, onto the floor.