First day out (lock please)

Sarah peered out into the empty alley with vacant eyes from her nook. The homeless and the hungry were not out at this time of night. The alley which had its typical dark spots, night or day, was pitch black. It was silent when she stood.

Those who resided in the alley had learned of a new God this last month. A child sized God who showed no mercy and commanded who lived and who died nightly. Now they all hid in hopes she didn't see them and choose them for her meal. She knew they feared her and she liked it. All those years of fearing the grown ups, and now, now they cowered when she approached.

There had been a few who had the guts to come to her. The starving and sick ones. They took the chance that their sickness and thin frames would keep them safe from her appetite. They begged her to allow them to serve her, help her in anyway. They saw how she scurried from the sunlight, and how the alley was thinning out with people.

'Let us help you and bring you food, let us do what you cannot in the day and watch over you while you sleep. Let us be your protectors and in return all we ask for is your protection and any spare foods that you may find. Help us grow and thrive so that we may feed you when your to weak too hunt.'

She had laughed then, and slapped the man for ever suggesting that she'd be too weak. But his offer was a good one. She would need protection while she slept, who knows what the others hand in mind for her if this one man had already seen her weakness. She must do better at hiding things like that.

So on that night she had accepted his offer and showed it by biting his upper left arm, making sure to scar it, to claim him as her own. He soon began to gain weight as she brought him back foods from the deli's and bakeries, items that she stole from the humans she killed. She broke into many grocery stores through the smallest of windows and air vents and he kept her safe while she slept. It was a good deal, as it turned out, and more and more of the other street people saw this as well. It wasn't long before she had a following of people willing to do whatever she asked. All of them marked by her.

All of this took place in the course of a month, and it was a month to the date that she stood now. With careful steps she walked to the center of the ally. The man who had made the first offer, whose name was Eli woke groggily and sat up.

Street urchins and people of the Dark Road, I am leaving you tonight.

Eli jumped to his feet at this declaration and jogged to her side.

You mustn't go alone Malady. Where will you go? Who will keep you safe?

Eli, I must find a home for my people. We do not belong on the Dark Road any longer. I sat and thought for a long time about this. We are too many for here. There is not enough food coming our way and unless i start eating you, my followers, i have to search.

You have not been many places Mistress Sarah, Your eyes are young and don't know this city as well as I do. Please let me accompany you.

She thought for a moment.

My minds eye is not young. I have seen many things when i sleep. I've been many places and learned languages I didn't know existed. But you are right. A smile girl like me shouldn't wander the city alone, or i will be noticed right away.She reached out and took his large hand and placed her small one inside of it.

Show me the city daddy.

The look on his face was one mixed with emotions. Horror,sadness and pride all combined into one. The horror at being the father of this little beast shook him. The sadness that if this child had had a real father the Devil would have never gotten to her, and the pride of being chosen once again, pushed the rest aside.

I will return my urchins. With news of a greater home than we have now. Protect each other in my absence as you would protect me. And remember, I will pass out punishment to those who have called it upon themselves when i get back.

She turned and looked up at Eli and then began to walk, leading him out into the night and streets of Nachton. He took one last glance at the alley that this little beast had named the Dark Road and caught her stride. She was so small and innocent looking, yet majority of the time when she spoke she sounded ancient. It was truly frightening to have born witness to her change as he had done. He had sold himself to the devils child but he hoped his soul would be redeemable.