Egyptian Evenhet

((OOC:Continued from the City Gates thread "Denial not just a river in Egypt"))

Alfarinn looked up at the white pristine marble building shining in the moonlight. The Egyptian home of Meridian and Evenhet was a bastion of culture, a shining light of progress in this city that had one foot firmly planted in the past while the other was stepping towards the future.

Greeting the guards at the entrance, he continued on until he came to a meeting room. Opening the door for his guest, He looked inside.

The room was dominated by a table made of light polished wood and painted with turquoise and gold plated accents, the chairs around it were of matching design.

Seeing the direction he had taken and that he was with a guest, one of the attendants brought in a tray with a bottle of wine and several glasses. Alfarinn smiled at the woman as she departed. It would seem his habits had been quickly noted and were now anticipated by the very skilled staff that his Egyptian brethren employed.

Alfarinn loved the timeless beauty and grace of the building, its furnishings and its inhabitants and wondered if it would remain little changed through the ages despite Evenhet's earned reputation for moving with and sometimes ahead of the times.

"Please make yourself comfortable, we will get you a room here as well but I thought we could talk in here where no one is likely to be disturbed."

Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Following Alfarinn into the large room, Kem couldn't help but be impressed with what he'd seen of Meridian thus far. He had thought the univeristy in Italia was fairly progressive, but the things Alfarinn had spoken of made them look downright archaic. He was looking forward to getting his hands dirty, literally.

For the moment though, the feeling of being a mouse under a hawk's talons had merely diminished and not gone away entirely. Particularly here, where Kem knew he was to meet more of their 'kind' and was wholly uncertain as to what kind of reception he would receive.

Alfarinn's mention of getting him a room calmed him somewhat; it didn't sound like he would be expected to share quarters, and for someone who'd been alone for as long as he had, he was discovering that although he was interested in learning more, he also valued his moments of privacy.

He brushed his hand lightly over the table, admiring the way the turquoise and gold plating accented the wood which itself had been polished to a soft glow. Kem's own tastes were slightly simpler, but that didn't mean he couldn't admire a true work of art in any form.

When a woman came in with a wine service, he couldn't help but wonder if she too was one of them. How did they tell each other apart? Was there some kind of code word? A secret handshake?

Hopefully, he'd learn everything here. Or at least start to. His centuries had given him a great deal of knowledge and experience but never this kind, and he was hard-pressed not to fidget with nerves and anticipation.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Taking a seat, Alfarinn poured them both a glass of wine. He set one down near Kem and then began to explain.

"Vampires are an ancient race. We don't know when or where the first of us began nor can we find any concrete lore on the matter, there are some legends that seem to more truthfully speak of a vampire here and there but nothing definitive for the origins of our species."

He shrugged, taking a sip of his wine, relishing the complex taste and woodsy aroma before continuing.

"I've known some that have been alive for thousands of years, remembering times before the rise of Rome or even Egypt, not me personally, however. I remember the turning of this new calendar to Anno Domini, in the year of our lord, well not mine. I remember a time when there were many gods in Europe and not just one. "

That was an old war and one that his people, like so many others, had lost. Alfarinn had long ago decided that the all encompassing hand of Christianity would move like the tide of the ocean spreading everywhere before it receded again. It was his kind that could remember the things that came before and would be alive to see what came after. He had long ago decided it was no use fighting what was inevitable and had chosen other things to battle instead.

"There are two clans of us. The most ancient is Anantya and originally they were the only organized group of us, banding together to remember the history of long forgotten races and empires, keeping each other company through the eternal nights. Unfortunately, they always looked to the past, they were... and are, buried in it, mired so steeply that they can't see a future for our kind and so.. "

Alfarinn took another sip of his wine and smiled softly, feeling a bit of humility at the telling. It all sounded much more exciting than what had actually happened.

"We formed a new clan. Evig Enhet. It means Eternal Unity and is generally called Evenhet. We believe that there is a role for our kind to play that does not involve simply being living reminders of the past. We work -with- humans -carefully- to achieve our goals and believe the two races could be stronger together than apart."

Alfarinn waved his hand slightly as if to answer unspoken disagreement on this point. He had certainly heard plenty of nay saying even from some of those who eventually joined their clan.

"It is a long term goal, nothing that is going to happy very quickly but if there is one thing that our kind has its time, right?"

He should slow down and see what Kem had to say about this deluge of information before continuing on. So he waited quietly to see if there were any questions or comments.
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem listened intently as Alfarinn spoke. He'd only ever heard the word 'vampire' a few times, and it was going to take some getting used to. He took in the other's words with patience, for he was used to getting oral histories. For all that he'd been born in an age where the written word was commonplace that was not always the case, and as a scholar he had found that a great deal of his information was passed down through the generations by word of mouth, in stories and myths. Sitting still and listening was no problem, especially not with a fine wine at his hand.

He took mental notes, setting aside parts of what Alfarinn said to question later, not wanting to interrupt this stream of information. This was exactly what he'd hoped to obtain by coming along, but when Alfarinn mentioned Evenhet, its purpose and their beliefs, it spoke to him strongly.

Yes, he thought to himself. This is exactly what I have been looking for. Some way to exist peacefully - without harming anyone, perhaps even, in the future, without having to hide from anyone.

How would the others react if they knew how he'd lived in the past? Would they approve of his actions? Would they look down on him? Kem had no basis to know. He'd barely even known what he was, let alone how he was expected to live. What should he say then, not knowing if his actions in the past might have broken some kind of taboo? And if he refused to say anything about his past at all, would they think he had something to hide?

When Alfarinn paused, Kem quickly thought it through. He had a great many questions, but for the time being his thoughts were centered around what the taller man had said about their origins.

"So," he said quietly, staring down at the glistening wine in the glass he held, "what made me this way? Was I born with this inside me, to be released at a particular time? Was the ritual I underwent something that put this inside of me?"

He continued quickly, lest Alfarinn think he had changed his mind about being here.
"I know I cannot change what I am now, and your words have great wisdom to them. There is no point in dwelling upon the past anymore. I will try to move away from it, to keep going forward, for if I am to be a part of your Clan Evenhet I must move with it.

"I am glad to be here," he added, "and I hope that I might be of some use to you although surely there are many here who have more knowledge and experience than I."

Kem shook his head slightly as if to clear his thoughts and waited to see what would come next. He hoped Alfarinn would continue, for although it was a great deal of information to take in, he wasn't yet at a point where he felt it was too much to handle. In fact, in spite of the insecurities he felt about suddenly being among what were his people, he was overjoyed to be hearing the answers to all of his questions.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked at Kem in puzzlement. How could he not know about his creator? Alfarinn did not know his creator well and after being made, he never saw her again but he was aware of what had happened to him.

"You did not know or even -see- the one who made you?"

Answering the question that was put to him, he explained.

"We were human like any other out there and someone chose to make us what we were. There is a process by which this is done. It is not so very easy that accidents could occur, someone had to deliberately make you a vampire."

Alfarinn was happy that Kem had been found and was no longer alone. He smiled and shook his head.

"Don't worry there is always something to be done around here and really the business is only part of what we do, mostly we are a clan and a family so if you need time to come to terms with anything that you are told or want to pursue other things then we'd understand."
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem winced at Alfarinn's look of puzzlement. Reaching up and running his fingers through his hair self-consciously, he explained, "When I was... created, it was done under the guise of an ancient and magical ritual. None of us in my city had ever seen it done, we just knew it was a very bad thing." He paused for a moment, not really wanting to go into too much detail.

"I was taller then than most of the people I knew, and I... did not go quietly. I fought the guards at every step, until they had to 'subdue' me. From that point on I cannot recall many of the details. I know I was brought to the High Priest, who made his home inside the temple as was expected of him. It was night time and the room was very dark. I know now that he bit me, although I wasn't sure what was happening then. Beyond that I have no remembrance, except for a great deal of pain and the man's laughter.

"I know it had to be more than his bite that caused this; in my years my own bite has never caused anyone to become a vampire."

Kem truly didn't remember much of what had happened. He thought the High Priest might have spoken to him, but if he had the words were long forgotten.

"After it was done, I emerged from the temple into the dark to find most of the city waiting for me. I was driven out, for no one wanted to live near a Cursed One. The next few weeks were... difficult."

Kem refused to delve back into the massive tangle of trials and errors that probably, upon reflection, should have resulted in his death. By some chance he'd survived, learning about what we was through mistakes and instinct. He'd killed several more times, every one unintentional and further proof that he'd been made into a monstrosity. Thinking back upon it now, he reflected that he might not have minded the punishment so much if he'd known something about what he had become.

Unsure of what else to say on the matter, he simply lifted his shoulders in a shrug. The idea of being part of a family appealed to him, but he still felt like an outsider. He gave Alfarinn a rueful smile.

"It seems I have much to learn. More than I thought. But the fact that you are willing to give me answers brings me a great deal of peace. I don't want to burden anyone, so however I can be of use, I would like to do so. I'm used to having work to do, and I would feel at a loss without it."
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at the comment about being taller than most people, even in a region of tall people he had been a giant. It quickly faded as the explanation for why Kem could not remember his turning unfolded. He was given no choice and no explanation and the process was made painful because someone enjoyed pain and fear. He hoped Kem's creator was already but if not then he would be inclined to put such a monster out of the world's misery himself, despite his empathy.

"That was a hideous thing that was done to you. It is no wonder that you see being what you are as a curse. My own creator did not give me a choice but it was not a painful experience."

He smiled in remembrance of the woman called Freyja. She was considered the goddess incarnate by the local people and her attention was a blessing. Sometimes she was a harsh mistress but mostly she was like nature, neither kind nor cruel. Freyja had been a wanderer and had left him soon after his making telling him only that he was a survivor and that another needed his protection.

"Our beginnings are a difficult time. It is not easy for some to learn to hunt and many regret the loss of what they were to the extent of wishing themselves dead many times over. It is a credit to you that you managed to survive all that we normally find difficult with no one else's aid and after being driven out of the place you called home. I cannot imagine why they would make you a vampire and then run you out of the city."

Alfarinn shook his head at the strangeness of the whole thing before taking another sip of his wine.

"Fear not!" He laughed softly. "There is plenty to do. Evenhet runs Meridian which I mentioned earlier. We find and restore artifacts of all kinds for private and public collections and our own records. There is plenty of work to be had as a scribe, historian, restorer... whatever you would like to do. "
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem bowed his head at Alfarinn's compliment, for he couldn't see it as an accomplishment, staying alive when he so obviously should have died. So he simply avoided looking at the other man, for he was coming to respect him and didn't want Alfarinn to see his shame.

Rubbing the bridge of his nose absentmindedly, he was relieved when Alfarinn began to describe Meridian further, allowing him to back away from the uncomfortable topic of his creation altogether. The company did intrigue him, and he found himself itching to do everything Alfarinn described.

"I'd like to do all of it," he admitted. "Whatever needs to be done. I know it sounds as if I lack direction, but it's still surprising to be suddenly drawn into a place that happens to do exactly what I do."

He placed his glass on the table and spread his hands, the long slender fingers stained with ink and calloused from both writing and digging. He gave a wry half-smile.

"I think too much when my hands are still," he explained. "It behooves me to keep them working."

Kem hoped that would be explanation enough for, even with all his skill at translating, when it came to putting his own thoughts into words he found himself quite hopeless.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Kem and replied.

"Well, we are quite naturally suited to the discovery and preservation of historical relics, as many of us happen to such ourselves. Many don't focus on the past quite as much as we do though. Megan is very forward thinking and she drives the company and the clan to new heights."

He smiled absently at the thought of his sister and the difficulties they had while trying to convince Anantya that there were better ways to do things than they were currently using. She was fiercely opinionated and not to be deterred, which was a large reason for why they sat here now as part of a new clan.

"I do understand the need to be doing something. I believe someone a few years ago told me that 'idle hands were the devil's tools."

Alfarinn shrugged slightly at the quote but felt that the sentiment had some merit. He got into his worst trouble when there was little else to keep him occupied and that came in the form of thinking too much as well as doing what he shouldn't.

He regarded the other man thoughtfully a moment, they were similar in many ways. Alfarinn hoped they could then both find the solace that they sought. Reaching out a one hand, he placed it lightly on Kem's wrist.

"Welcome to Evenhet. I hope you find a home and a family here."

((OOC: Quote is from Chaucer... who knows maybe Alfarinn was chumming around with the famous author himself. ))
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem looked down at Alfarinn's hand, the skin pale compared to his own. This was someone who actually understood what he'd been through, what it was like to live through ages while the rest of the world died around you. Kindred was the word, he thought.

As he looked back up, his face relaxed into a rare, genuine smile. After so long, he hadn't exactly found what he'd been looking for. Certainly there was no reversing what he was, but if such friends were to be found, people who, like him, would not simply wither and grow old and pass away, what did it matter?

Oh, he didn't expect that he could so easily shed himself of the attitude he'd had since that day long ago, or that life would be all cheer and happiness, but he could fight it here. If he was going to live for that long he wanted to do it as best he could, not running, not hiding, and not cursing a past he couldn't change.

"Welcome to Evenhet. I hope you find a home and a family here."

His smile grew.
"I think... I might be able to do just that."

He looked around, taking in the room once more. Nodding to himself, Kem tried to get used to the concept of this being 'home.' There were people he had yet to meet, things to learn about himself and his new clan, work to be done... plenty to keep him occupied.

It made him positively thrilled.
"So, when do I start?"
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Kem and hoped that he was correct, a family went a long way to helping things feel right again. Perhaps his new friend would no longer feel cursed and maybe someday even bless the change that had been done to him. That particular sentiment might be a long time in coming but perhaps Kem would find things here that would make it all worth while.

"I certainly hope so."

Chuckling about the next question, Alfarinn ran his hands through his hair and looked over at the other man. The truth was there was a great deal of work to be done in Egypt and not a lot of people to do it. Many of the vampires here were Anantya and many disapproved of the removal of artifacts from their resting place. Alfarinn might not agree with Megan's more mercenary views on what to do with relics but he did think it was a waste to let them rot away in a hole somewhere or be stolen by some fool who would melt down the metals to sell as ore. All Alfarinn cared about was that they were well cared for, publicly or privately it didn't matter,just so long as the history was written down and preserved and the lore saved from the sand.

"Yesterday?"

He took a sip of wine and added.

"Seriously though there is plenty to be done, tonight you can settle in and tomorrow I can introduce you to our clan mates here, I'm sure there will be more than enough to keep you occupied. You might have to hide out in the desert in order to get a little rest."
Kem`Raaisu 18 years ago
Kem felt a little silly, sitting there with had to be an impossibly stupid grin on his face, but he couldn't help it. This was the first time in a very long time he thought that living forever might not be a bad thing.

It was funny sometimes, how just a few rays of moonlight through a cover of clouds made the clouds seem as insubstantial as mist.

Alfarinn seemed to be so sure that there was plenty of work to be done, and if Kem was one thing at all, he was a tireless worker. He enjoyed having a purpose, even if at the moment he was still very new to the whole situation.

Knowing someone who seemed so similar and might just be a friend after all was a wonder in itself, and Kem found himself genuinely liking Alfarinn. Having work to do would keep his mind off of the darker side of things, and maybe eventually he could ignore that part altogether. For now, he'd have to remember to not let the clouds get in the way of the moonlight, and that wasn't always easy when your scale of measurement spanned centuries rather than decades.

Kem rather thought he might just be up to the task after all.

((ooc: Kem out))
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Kem get up to leave and smiled. He was glad that Evenhet could in some way ease the lonliness that he had sensed from the Egyptian and hoped that Kem would truly find a home and a family among them.

Getting up, he picked up his glass and headed out to find the assistant who had been helping him with the strange murders.

((OOC: Alfarinn out ))