Discussion: RPs and writing

Hello, SA Community!

Last week, Staff made some changes to the organization and structure of the Getting Started and The City Gates areas of the board to make it a bit easier for new users and veterans alike to review rules and create characters. One of the changes we made was to add a Style Guide to the Getting Started area as a suggested method of writing roleplay posts.

Now, we are asking you, the community, what you think of making this style guide a ruleset rather than a suggested guideline.

Thoughts?

Aishe 18 years ago
I like it... consistent structure is nice, makes everything a bit easier to read when the format is all the same, and it's not something that will really overtly impact anyone's personal style, imo.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Yes, there are some real characters around here, aren't there?
Aishe 18 years ago
*scratches head, whistles obliviously and looks studiously vacant*
Claire 18 years ago
I think a consistent style is nice for the over all look and it makes it easier to read and understand. Personally, I didn't find it hard to get used to after reading all the rules and then looking in on some of the threads.
Meegan 18 years ago
I had to go read it first, but it sounds fine to me seeing as that was how I was taught to RP and I like the style. It is so much easier to discern when the character is speaking out loud and when they are thinking.
Amberelle DeEspionne 18 years ago
I don't think it would be a problem, but I'm quite used to that style since it was what was taught to me here =) The only thing I have problems with is what tense I write in.. I suck at that But I try!
Artemis Bellezone 18 years ago
For me, I suppose it would depend on what the rule actually was. I do not type exactly the way Mai and some others do. However, reading the current guide, it says "Italics are very helpful to make very clear what the character has said and what the character only thought. Quotes would do this also but this is just easy to read.", I use italics to differentiate thought from other text, I just don't use it in the same manner. On that general statement, I would be in compliance. If I am expected to put everything in italics except for thoughts and statements,as it is in the example, then I would not be.

That way of typing is not intuitive for me. I type my posts in the same way that I would find it in a book, actions and descriptions are in regular type, thoughts are in italics, and statements are in quotes. My concern is that if the rule the staff is considering is too strict then you will alienate people like myself. I may make an honest effort to conform, but I know I would not always remember. As I type things out, I am following a thought usually. I am not going to remember to put italics everywhere. Having to then go back and make sure that I have italics in all the right places will be a pain and will no doubt take some of the enjoyment out of rping. If this is a major concern for the staff, then my suggestion would be to offer more than one method as an option so that members can choose which works best for them.