Vampire Physiology Q&A

Questions about the Vampire Physiology post?

http://www.sanguineaffliction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7374#7374

Post them here and staff will answer them as they can .

Rachyl 18 years ago
It looks like there's a companion piece to the Physiology post in the Vampire FAQ, some of which are Physiology related, others more character creation.
Mai 18 years ago
Yes, the FAQ answers specific questions people would have while the physiology simply states how vampires work in our little world. The write up on physiology would answer many questions on its own but sometimes people want to see a quick answer.
Aron Swiftwood 18 years ago
Are vampires more flammable than humans, or is the reason they fear fire simply that it harms them just as much as it does a mortal?

How vulnerable are vampires to sunlight exactly? The FAQ seems to suggest that it was only direct sunlight that would harm a vampire, and that they could easily be active during daytime (as opposed to Ann Rice's vampires).
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Any contact with UV rays is going to be a problem for vampires. So vampires can go from place to place via the sewers and inside during the day, they aren't compelled to sleep when it's light out or anything like that, but going out of doors is rather like dancing on the edge of a knife .

I'm going to think more about your fire question . There are a lot of reasons I can think of for why Vampires fear fire, but I want to get them all into something coherant.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Mai
Yes, the FAQ answers specific questions people would have while the physiology simply states how vampires work in our little world. The write up on physiology would answer many questions on its own but sometimes people want to see a quick answer.

I meant it more along the lines of, "Hey, so you're creating a vampire. Here*'s some neato stuff you might want to know before you start posting and going "Oops but what I just did can't really happen now can it."

*here being both the physiology and FAQ pages.
Amberelle DeEspionne 18 years ago
Yeah that new info kind of destroys the background we'd worked out for Xan since he was going to have been in a 'coma' for many, many years /sigh Back to the drawing board!

But the details are really good and will be helpful =)
Winter 18 years ago
now that we have the Vampires all worked out maybe its time to broaden the horizions.. add Lycanthropes or Demons or something.. give everyone a mutual enemy.. spice things up...
Mai 18 years ago
Gotcha, yep that's the basic intent and so some people aren't coming in with I'm very dead, very strong, super senses kind of vampire that doesn't match the others.

The staff were joking about vampires from outer space but Veri had to go and veto our lovely ideas
heh then I volunteer to be part of the first romeo-juliet romance angle =p
Mai 18 years ago
As far as other races go...its being discussed.
wweeeeeee!
Winter 18 years ago
i'm be a Studpire, from the plant thrust..
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
I don't see why you couldn't have a character who was in a Coma for many years. It would just require additional explanation beyond typical vampire abilities. Staff approved Qu Yuan's profile to do that very thing because he had an additional mystical element in his story and the character was fairly balanced.
Mai 18 years ago
Yes, so long as there is some way he was getting a little bit of blood it should work.. Course he might be crazy as a loon.

Which probably isn't far off from the player. *hides from Xan*
lolololol!! no no, Xan is the stud who has a way of making women swoon and throw off their underthings while making men think he's their best bud. Winter is the complete nut job. Oh wait.. did you mean RL? Cause then.. yeah.. =p

A tiny bit of blood hmm.. okies will work on that... /boggle
The Voice 18 years ago
We have some minor additions to the Vampire Physiology that should answer outstanding questions.

Specifically, on fire:
Sunlight and fire has an additional risk for vampires; vampire blood is consumed rapidly by natural light and flame. Thus both fire and sunlight are shunned by vampires.

On turning to ash:
A vampire's body can in no way be sustained without their blood, and the final phase of death for a vampire is the complete disintegration of their body once the blood has left them. Whether the blood has been consumed from the inside by sunlight, burned down by fire, or lost due to injury, the body will fall to ash without it.

And we added the footnote suggested regarding human blood loss:
On Human Blood Loss: Plasma (non-blood liquid) volumes will return to normal in around 24 hours, while red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system within about 3-5 weeks, and lost iron replaced over 6-8 weeks.

The American Red Cross limits blood donation times to once every 56 days.
Connie 18 years ago
Can vampires get tattoos?
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
Connie
Can vampires get tattoos?

We talked about that early on. We threw around the idea of branding our clan members or tattooing, we figured the skin would regenerate it clean so any tatt's a vampire has NOW, they got BEFORE they were turned.

So no.
Aron Swiftwood 18 years ago
"Sun lamp... Sun lamp..."

A thoughtful look crossed Rachyl's face. "Aron, what is it about sunlight? Is it a certain part of the light spectrum emitted by it? Or other electromagnetic waves? Or is it something mystical, as in, something that is so important to life, is anathema to unlife (so to speak)?"

She tapped her chin. "Because you can get hand-held ultraviolet lamps pretty cheap in the mall."

Then her eyes widened and she slumped in her chair. "Of course now I remember that there isn't a Spencer's in the mall, or any other party place that would -carry- UV lights. Conspiracy I tell you!" She chuckled.

Well?
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
Blood Sickness

The blood causes unique weaknesses in each vampire, ranging from varying forms of madness to physical difficulties, in addition to some universal vampire qualities. UV rays from the sun cause a burning reaction in the blood, essentially boiling a vampire from the inside out. With many years and practiced control over the blood, a vampire may be able to enjoy the sunlight for a very short time, but eventually it will take its toll. Sunlight and fire has an additional risk for vampires; vampire blood is consumed rapidly by natural light and flame. Thus both fire and sunlight are shunned by vampires.**

A stake to the heart forces a vampire to direct the blood on his own, which depending on the vampire's age and innate abilities can have effects ranging from immobilization to discomfort. It would, however, typically take more than a stake to actually kill a vampire.

A vampire's body can in no way be sustained without their blood, and the final phase of death for a vampire is the complete disintegration of their body once the blood has left them. Whether the blood has been consumed from the inside by sunlight, burned down by fire, or lost due to injury, the body will fall to ash without it.