PreShow Jitters

Nyra had slept well, despite her worry over Connie being ill. She awoke with the sun and was at the Ramsey's Gallery at 8am. Working with the owner and manager they set up everything to everyone's satisfaction, got the final preparations ready for the party and worked hard. It was 2:30 when Nyra was finally sent home to prepare for the galla event.

Sinking neck deep in her oversized tub she soaked her skin in sandlewood scented water and her the grey painted lock of hair in turpentine. She followed it up with a light red henna rinse that made her hair gleam a redish copper.

Spending some time drying her hair and applying her patichouli lotion she wondered what time it was.

Connie 18 years ago
The bleep of the register drew her attention back to the mall from the two-dozen or so blocks distance where Connie realized it had been hiding.

Nyra was preparing for her first big show in Nachton. And though she and Connie had known each other only a week, the latter couldn't help but feel proud and happy for the West Coast artist.

Over her left arm she draped the long, soft black, off the shoulder dress she'd chosen. In her other hand she carried the Nordstrom's bag which held the elegant strappy sandals she'd found - lowish heel, of course, so as not to look too much taller than Nyra than she was naturally. The strapless bra she'd chosen from Vicky's was lovely, but more confining than she was used to in a bra. And she just couldn't turn down the matching thong... Even though boy shorts were her favorite, they'd probably be quite visible through her dress.

She'd made sure when she showered that morning she didn't wash her hair, especially since Nyra had offered to help her recolor it. She vaguely remembered the last time she'd had hair so long she could have fashioned a bra from it. Then she'd gotten it cut. And the barber had been so drunk, he lopped off a bit of her ear with the hair... and Connie had treated herself to lunch. Something about Guinness being filtered through an Irishman's blood gave it a rather heady quality; she'd been "high" on his blood for almost two days.

As a vampire, she was glad for the parking garage the Mall built; she imagined it was something done to appease the vampire population of the city when their numbers started growing. She wondered if there were records as to how many different buildings in the city had been modified that way since its inception.

Driving back to their apartments, Connie was glad the bathroom'd finally been completed. Her computer and desk weren't due to be delivered til Wednesday; she'd have to ask if Nyra would mind accepting their delivery. And maybe if she'd also mind applying her creative talents to the glass blocks that formed the walls in the bathroom, oooh oooh oooh and maybe the doors, too...

Fantasies of Nyra creating just for her gave Connie little shivers and caused goosebumps to raise along her arms.

She made a conscious decision, however, to not "use" Nyra for her creativity.

So the fantasies shifted to Nyra creating just -with- Connie, either sculpture, sandblasting, painting... "Damned body," Connie cursed herself. "Whatever it was that made me sick to my stomach last night really ruined the night, but I should have realized too Nyra would want to get some sleep. Just because she -can- deprive herself of sleep for creative reasons doesn't mean you -want her to-."

The normally fifteen minute drive from the Mall back to her apartment (and yes, it felt SO good to finally call it "her apartment") seemed only a few seconds. Connie had been so deeply concentrating on Nyra, she couldn't remember a single moment of the drive itself.

And that's bad. Tunnel-mind is almost as bad as tunnel vision.

She got out of the car and claimed her packages as well as the overnight bag she'd prepared earlier in the day, filled with her shampoo, toothbrush, a fresh set of bedclothes. Well, she needed to take the tags off the remainder of what she got from Vicky's and -then- they'd be bedclothes. A paired hanger set of blouse, skirt, and underthings for the next day. She'd wait til the end of the week to really move in and get her stuff from storage.

She left her suitcase in the trunk and bleeped the alarm on her way up the stairs to her apartment.

After noting the time on her phone as just after three thiry, she dropped the majority of the bags on her bed (she'd have to make that up soon) then went over to Nyra's door and knocked loudly.

(( Victoria's Secret pajamas with matching slippers. Black dress ))
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra had just finished painting her toes a shimmery copper color when there was a knock at the door. She snugged the belt of her robe a bit to make sure she wasnt flashing the world and answered the door.

Connie stood at the door. Looking like beautiful as always.
"Come in, come in!"

The studio smelled of mushrooms, garlic and basil but was clean. The center island was set with two plates and utensils. There were two glasses awaiting to be filled as well. Nyra's dress was hung on a hook hanging from the top of the bathroom wall.

She ushered the taller woman into the bath and had her sit on the edge of the tub while she touched up the woman's beautiful blond roots. The soft silky feeling of Connie's hair made Nyra's knees weak but she continued on applying the dye.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie desperately tried not to shiver as Nyra ministered to her hair and worked the dye into her roots. Her soft fingertips played mercilessly against her scalp; the woman must be incomparable with massages. She decided to say so. "One of these days I'll request a massage, and I'm sure it'll be incomparable to what I could offer to you. And I notice you have a lovely copper on your toes... Would you mind doing mine, too, please? Or is dinner almost ready?"

Connie suddenly thumped a fist on her thigh. "Dad gummit, I fergot to pick up sparkling cider on my way back from the mall. But I did almost all the other shoppin' I needed, which is good. And I'm ready to stay the night in my apartment, finally. I'm sher it'll be right happy to feel lived in. Oh and that robe? Wow. Pardon my eyes impertinance if they seem to be strayin' towards the part there." She looked up at Nyra bashfully.
Nyra 18 years ago
Giggling Nyra finished Connie's hair and in the twenty minutes it needed to set, painted her toes copper. "Since that is fast setting polish, how about you shower the dye out while I check on dinner?"

Almost running from the bathroom and shutting the door, Nyra admitted to herself she had panicked. She did not want to stop touching Connie. Had even held her foot excessively when she could have painted it from the tile. At least pulling the quiche from the oven gave her something to concentrate on. Knowing it would take 15 minutes to set properly she went to the windows and looked outside at the city.

It was only 5:30 and they had plenty of time to eat, dress and leave. Impatiently she waited Connie to be finished in the shower, torn between wanting to go in and help her and nervousness.
Connie 18 years ago
Nyra's hands on her feet and scalp had caused Connie's skin to tingle pleasantly; waves of feel-goodness radiated from her extremities as she tried to shampoo the dye from her hair.

She imagined she looked a sight, with waves of black and eventually purple dye coursing down her body when something caused her to sneeze. Instinctually she opened her eyes and ended up rubbing her dye-covered hands against them. The sudden burning was completely unexpected and she cried out, then reached for the shower head hoping to direct it right at her face.

Unfortunately she missed, grabbed the door to the shower, lost her balance, and found herself on the floor with another cry. Buttocks on the dividing tile between shower and bath, she rubbed her eyes fruitlessly, trying to get the burning stain out of them.

"Call Nyra."
"Don't call Nyra, just get your ass back in the shower."
"Call Nyra."
"Dammit, Connie..."

Somehow she kept finding herself in an internal war when trying to respect the burgeoning friendship, blossoming relationship, she wanted with this amazing woman.
Nyra 18 years ago
Hearing the noise, of a body falling, Nyra rushed into the bathroom. Knocking on the door she called out hoping Connie could hear her over the water.

"Everything ok in there?"
Connie 18 years ago
When Nyra knocked on the door, Connie's heart lept both in joy and nervousness.

"Oh, yeah, just peachy, can't see a damned thing cuz I got dye in mah eye and ended up fallin' on my arse, be fine if I could see enough to right myself."

Nyra probably couldn't hear her grumbling or her continued rant, "Or stopped being stupid enough to keep rubbing it in."
Nyra 18 years ago
Hearing only the grumbling and word eye made her decision for her. She opened the door and walked inside the bathroom. Spying the beautiful woman sittin on the floor of the shower, half in and half out, rubbing faded dye into her eyes. Nyra rushed over to the shower, thankfully she was only wearing a sleep shirt under the robe instead of her lingerie.

Carefully she walked to distressed woman, trying not to oggle too badly. She took her hand and assisted in standing. Gently directing her under the spray of the shower she rinsed her face and hair.

Swatting her wet rear gently she exited, making sure there were two fluffy towels within arms reach of the shower. Of course they were maroon and lavender but she figured color was just fun and didnt need to follow any scheme in her bathroom.

Once out of the bathroom, she stripped off her now soaked robe, tossed it over the bathroom wall and scrounged around for another sleep shirt. She put on her lingerie and another long shirt.

She had to sit down on the beanbag chair and fan herself after that adventure. Being well behaved was very difficult some times. Especially when all she had wanted to do was jump into the shower and press her body against Connie's. But she had resisted and could for at least another 2 minutes, tops.
Connie 18 years ago
Those soft hands against her skin, under her arms, upon her back, guiding her into the relieving stream of steamy water felt like liquid fire, hotter than the sun, in Connie's mind.

A sudden swat against her buttocks echoed mockingly in the shower as she opened her eyes to - other than herself - an empty shower. She suppressed a sigh of disappointment and couldn't help but smile, knowing that if she'd had her sight, Nyra's robe wouldn't have stayed on her long.

She couldn't help but wonder, too, if Nyra had looked...

Water off, shampoo soap and stain rinsed, she wrapped the maroon towel about her chest, tying it between her breasts, then used the other to quickly dry her legs and hair.

She turned to the door and swung it open, heedless of the fact the handle had caught a corner and stripped it from her body as she called,
"Nyra, do you mind if I use yer perfume? I used the lasta mine a coupla days ago."
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra bit her lip and stared at the goddess framed by the bathroom door. It took her a minute to process that she had said something about purfume. Finally she stuttered out "I dont wear purfume."

She was unable to move, seemily bolted to the beanbag chair. Her voice deserted her and she could do more than whisper. "You are so beautiful."
Connie 18 years ago
"Wayel thank you, Nyra, you are quite a sight to look at yerself."

Connie ran a hand through her sopping wet mop, dangling stringy from her head, then reached to adjust the towel between her breasts... which she then realized wasn't there anymore.

Blinking incredulously, she decided to continue the conversation,
"Wayel, you always smell so good, I was jes kyerious an' all."

It was then Connie realized Nyra's gaze was taking the entirety of her body in, and was partially keeping her speechless. "I uh... I could go get my dress, if'n me bein rather nekkid is a bother. I neglected ta mention I usually showah then get dressed jes befoah the date..."

"Smooth move, ex-lax, give her the option of making you get dressed, cause if you don't, dinner'll just end up forgotten or burnt." She said out loud, "So if'n you want, I'll get somethin' on befoah dinner, s'up to you."
Nyra 18 years ago
Stunned speachless, Nyra didnt know weather to fling herself at the goddess' feet or run from the room. So she continued to sit there, mouth opening and closing slightly. Barely able to breathe.

She tried to tell herself that she was being silly. As an artist she had seen dozens of nude bodies, painted them, and even touched them. But somehow she could not wrap her mind around that detachment that her professors taught.

If not for the clock dinging 6:00 she would have sat there gaping all night. Finally she whispered in a strained voice.
"Clothes might be wise."
Connie 18 years ago
Connie nodded. Silently, her mind agreed... but her body was yelling "no, stop! Go back!" as she moved from Nyra's apartment into her own.

Digging into her clothes bag, she slid into the strapless bra and thong, then found a clean blouse and some exercise shorts to wear until she needed to put the dress on.

She lifted the dress on its hanger and took it and her purse back with her into Nyra's. She hung the dress with Nyra's and flopped down onto the empty beanbag.

"Oops," she stated, then hopped back up, walked to the bathroom, picked up the towels that had fallen, and hung them on the edge of the wall next to Nyra's robe. She returned to the beanbag.

"Ah'm sorry if that was awkward. Thank you fer rescuin' me, though. S'much appreciated." She looked at Nyra, her gaze sincere, both in her gratitude and her worry.
Nyra 18 years ago
"It was my pleasure, trust me." She finally found her voice, though it was a bit husky. "Lets have some dinner before its too late."

Unable to sit still, Nyra bounced up out of the chair and into the kitchen. She deftly served up portions of quiche and poured water into the awaiting glasses.

The two women sat down and ate companionably. They would probably have to hurry to the gallery but Nyra wouldnt worry about that now. She was happily seated next to the most beautiful thing she had ever seen and wasn't going to rush anything.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie made an "oooh!" sound, set her empty plate on the floor near the beanbag and hopped up, grabbed her purse, and sat down.

From the purse she pulled two greeting cards - one white marked with a number 1, one yellow marked with a number two - and a tiny square box.

She grinned, and sipped her water, but as Nyra watched curiously, realized she was more than a bit anxious, both at the contents of cards and box, and their outing tonight, so told her date to finish her meal first.
Nyra 18 years ago
"You didn't have to go to any trouble." She told Connie as she gently opened the #1 card after pushing her plate aside. How could she possibly eat with this in front of her. On the cards front cover is a photograph of an the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The magestic statues frame the building leaving the night sky above it saturated with fireworks.

Inside in flowing script was a poem that choked Nyra up as she read it.

Congratulations to you on the night of your show
Where from all around Nachton interested parties will know
Of the art that you create, the emotion you invest
In paintings, sculpture, clothing, and all the rest

While I will stand with you, I belong to the side
And I'll watch over you with smiles filled of pride
I'll let you know that you will "do just fine"
And I'll keep your drink filled with cider, not wine

Reporters will be present, of that I am sure
They'll ask you questions, take pictures and more
Answers about me you can say what you want
I have no compunction about being up front.

So with this rhyme I will close the line,
As it's probably getting very near time
For me and you to finish getting clothes
And get ready to begin your first of art shows!

The fact that it was also signed by Connie with the tagline of "With all my heart" made tears begin to leak quietly from her hazel eyes. Using her napkin, Nyra quickly blotted the tears away and reached for card #2.

The artistic rendition of a sunrise over a beach, with two mostly-unseen people in beach chairs facing away from the card's point of view. Their hands can be seen joined between the chairs. In filigree at the bottom is the tagline, "The day has just started..."

She looked up at Connie, sniffling and biting her lower lip. Finally she flipped open the card to read the same flowing script.

When I first met you I hadn't planned to start
Anything quite like where we've found us
Your voice brings leaps and jumps to my heart
Only in each other's arms and eyes can we ground us.

I realize I care for you, quite very much
For all we've known each other a week and such
But a week I'm not regretting, nor ever will
On your heart, eyes, smile, cooking I could overfill.

You have your art life, I have my own too
I wouldn't be averse to sharing with you
I know you have other concerns to come in time
But I felt I needed to put down in rhyme

The leapy happy feeling you've planted in my gut
I hope you don't think I'm some young puppyloving nut
But, Nyra McGurn, the more solid feeling is true
You should know just how much I care for you.

The second panel reads:

"Thank you, Nyra, for all we've shared this past week, and I can only hope that I'm able to help keep your remaining time in Nachton just as wonderful and even moreso.

You've given me a jolt of life, hope, and a rather unexpected infusion of enjoyable stress and frustration *winkwinkwink* and, should you decide your month's lease is the limit of when you can stay in Nachton, you will be sorely missed, but you will always have a friend to call upon."

It is signed again,

Trying not to ramble,
Connie

The box... is a small black velvet box not unlike those used to carry jewelry.

Inside...

A small slip of paper reads:
"I know tonight's going to go great, so I figured I'd try to give it a bit of a jumpstart."

Below the paper is a silver key engraved with "29A."

She could do nothing more but sit overcome by emotion, hand covering her mouth. Silent tears of joy running down her cheeks.

Every time she thinks Connie has risen to the top, the amazing woman does something to bump herself even higher. How could she leave in two weeks? How could she not explore this amazing woman and the relationship they seemed to instantly develop. She was going to need some time to get priorities in line and reevaluate her choices and options, but for now she knew just where she wanted to be.

Gently setting everything down neatly she flung herself at Connie. Landing on the woman's beanbag chair and wrapping her arms around her. Nyra burried her face in the goddess' neck and silently weeped while her mind ran Thank you over and over. Unsure if it ever reached her lips or even who or whatfor she was thanking.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie's arms came up and around Nyra, holding the woman tenderly, as she felt hot tears flowing down her neck, pooling into her collarbone, then down her breast.

A soft repetition of "thankyou thankyou thankyou" tickled her ears.

She pursed her lips and kissed Nyra's temple sideways, and gently stroked her shoulders and hair.
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra happily sat, snuggled into Connie's lap until the clock dinged 6:30. At the sound she jumped up, barely missing clocking Connie in the chin with her head. With panicked eyes she looked at the goddess who held her. "We have to get ready and go before we are late!"

She scrambled upright and pulled Connie from the chair. Rushing to her dress, Nyra flung off her long shirt and slipped the silver creation over her head, uncaring if Connie watched or that the window was right beside her. She swiftly settled it about her shoulders and zipped up the back. Realizing she had no idea where her shoes were she began rummaging through the small closet for them. Thankfully the low strappy flats were in the first box she opened.

She plopped down on the futon to put them on and lace the straps up her ankles. She glanced about for Connie to see how much progress the woman had made in her own getting ready preparations.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie watched bemusedly as Nyra veritably tossed her long sleepshirt aside, and gazed appreciatingly at the artist's body as she slid on the lovely silver dress.

Standing, she dropped her own shorts and blouse as she moved to the hanger holding her dress, then carefully slipped into it. Into the sandals her feet slipped; she fluffed her hair, straightened the dress on her shoulders, and picked up her purse.

Turning to Nyra, she saw as the woman plopped down on the futon and laced her own flats.

Reaching a hand out, palm down, to Nyra, she asked with a lilt,
"Ready to go, Ms. McGurn? Our car is waiting."
Nyra 18 years ago
Grasping Connie's hand "Car waiting?" She asked, feeling quite confused.

Connie lead her outside to a limo that was waiting in front of their stairs. Completely overwhelmed Nyra meekly followed Connie into the car. Looking around at it all still did not bring any sense of reality.

"How did you do all this?! Every time I think you have reached the topmost peak of the most amazing person I have ever known, you do something that tops it."

Sniffling back tears and counting her blessings that she never wore makeup, they rode to the gallery in style.

((Nyra and Connie onto the gallery! LOCK please.))