Quiet Entrance

Edgard strode in through the main doors of Liefde Tower, and quickly took in his surroundings. The place appeared to be very nicely furnished, and very modern. There was a reception desk, but no receptionist. Not surprising, given the current time and the nature of this place. He was sure that there was one around somewhere, though. He stepped up to the desk, obtained a piece of paper and pen, and wrote out "Edgard Hérail for Megan Björn", then looked around for a bell to ring that would summon the receptionist.

MARI 18 years ago
Motion sensors built into the lobby entrance triggered MARI's greeting protocol, and her glowing blue face filled the front desk's computer monitor. Her facial recognition software did not have a record of the man standing before her, and so she proceeded to welcome the unregistered visitor.

"Greetings, and welcome to Liefde Towers. My name is MARI, Meridian Artificial Regulatory Intelligence. How may I be of service?"Â?
Edgard Hérail 18 years ago
"Oh, for fuck's sake," Edgard thought angrily. He hated these things even more than he hated phones. He stared at the computer monitor for a few moments, trying to decide how he would go about communicating with this damned machine. He waved his hand in front of the digital face, and noticed that she was following the movement of his hand, which meant that at least she could see him, even if she didn't yet understand his predicament. He looked down at his hands to see that, in his frustration, he had clenched one of them in to a fist. He opened the fist, uncrumpled the slip of paper that had been crushed inside, and held it up to the computer monitor, hoping that the thing could read.
MARI 18 years ago
MARI raised an eyebrow as she looked over the wrinkled bit of paper that was being held in front of her screen, took in the information that was written on it. After a moment, she responded in a polite, and apologetic tone.

"I regret to inform you that Ms. Björn is not in at the moment, Mr. Hérail. If you wish to leave a short message, I will see that she receives if upon her return."�
Edgard's face twisted with rage as various obscenities from a dozen different languages entered his mind. He briefly considered putting his fist through the monitor, but quickyl decided against it. This completely useless piece of garbage was probably expensive, and he didn't want to get off on a bad start with Megan by causing property damage. Instead, he merely let out a long sigh and walked back to the reception desk to get another piece of paper.

On it, he wrote:
"Contact her and tell her that I am looking for her. She will be happy to see me", hoping that the last line was true. When finished, he returned to the monitor and held up his new note for MARI to read.
MARI 18 years ago
"One moment please..."

MARI quickly searched for the name provided in her database, and found a match for an Edgard Hérail. The name was cross referenced to Megan's in a document written in the 14th century AD, but did not appear in any files after that date. Judging from the text, Hérail was a close associate of hers, though the nature of their relationship was not clear.

She decided that if this man was who he claimed to be, Megan would probably wish to see him. MARI paused briefly, choosing her next words carefully, as it was perfectly clear this man was not overly fond of her.

"You must understand, Mr. Hérail, that Ms. Björn's time is valuable, and I cannot page her for every visitor that wishes it. However, if you were to provide substantial proof of your identity, I may be persuaded to contact her on your behalf."�
Edgard thought for a moment about what he could show the computer to convince it that he was who he claimed to be. Megan knew him as a Templar Knight, so maybe proof of that would be enough to persuade MARI. Ever since he had left France, Edgard always wore a medallion imprinted with the seal of the Templars, as a reminder to himself that the greed of man was the source of evil in the world. He withdrew the medallion, which hung about his neck from a heavy iron chain, and held it up to the monitor. He simultaneously opened his mouth, allowing the camera to take in his lack of a tongue - his most distinguishing feature.
MARI 18 years ago
"One moment please..."

MARI's face went blank as she scanned the medallion into her database, and calculated a 79% probability, based in image alone, that it was an authentic Templar seal. The document in question made reference to both The Knights Templar and his lack of tongue, which prompted her to make the call to Megan, preparing the video feed so she could patch it through to her cell for final verification.

Several minutes later, her personality returned, a gentle smile set on her face.

"Ms. Björn has instructed me to inform you that she is at her private booth in Club Eternity, and that it would please her greatly if you were to join her there. The VIP lounge can be accessed through the club's rear entrance, and the bouncer has been instructed to let you pass. She apologizes for the delay, as do I. Good evening, Mr. Hérail, I look forward to our next encounter."�

With that, MARI smiled again, politely nodded her head, and then faded away into to darkness.

((OOC: MARI out))
Glad that he had finally gotten what he had needed from the machine, Edgard relaxed. He had been worried that after all his years of searching, he was going to be turned away from the doorstep of his creator by the glorified calculator that apparantly passed for a receptionist around here. Eager to be on his way to meet his waiting friend, he returned once again to the reception desk for another (hopefully final) piece of paper. He scribbled "Club Eternity - NO TALKING" onto it, and stepped outside to hail another cab.

((OUT))