Cigarette butts and a coma. (Hospital)

Ellis entered the Nachton hospital thru its only nighttime entrance, the Emergency Room doors. Marthinus had since been moved to a private room on the 8th floor. Standing at the entrance amongst the hussle of ER patients, Ellis took out her pack of cigarettes from her thin, black suede jacket and proceeded to light up.

Inhaling, she walked by the front desk nurse who glared at her.
'There is no smoking permitted within 50 yards of the hospital.' The nurse said with a curt voice.

'It's 50 feet actually.' Ellis replied, approaching the elevator and pushing the button for UP. She held out a finger to shush the woman and took one long drag. With a satisfied smile, she dropped the cigarette on the floor and used her booted spiked high heels to put it out. The elevator dinged and opened.

As Ellis walked in, she turned and fixed a stare onto the nurse, making a mental note to kill her later.

Doctor 18 years ago
The doctor was pushing down hard enough to break a sweat as well as Marthinus' ribcage.

'Mr. Steyn, please dont die on me. One, one thousand, two one thousand. WHERE ARE THE GOD DAMN PADDLES?'

Just then the floor nurse burst thru Marthinus' 8th floor, private room doorway with the requested equipment. Marthinus had suffered another heart attack and was currently being straddled by his doctor who was kind enough to try and restart his heart.

The doctor jumped down and grabbed the paddles, rubbing them together as the nurse spread the cold lubricating gel on them.

'CLEAR IT.' He put the pads on Marthinus heart and shocked him. The whining steady nose of a dead heart filled the room. They all looked up and saw nothing on the heart monitor screen. He was flat lining.

'CLEAR IT GOD DAMNIT.' The doctor put the paddles back onto Marthinus' chest and shocked him again.

The sweat was running into the doctor's eyes and he wiped them away with the sleeve of his pristine white doctor's coat. He knew exactly who this man was and what he was. Without Marthinus' master here, he had to keep this familiar alive. If he hadnt...

The doctor had seen what Ellis had done to another doctor who let a familiar die without her presence.

With new frightened energy he jumped back onto Marthinus and began CPR again.
'Please Mr. Steyn...please.' The doctor pulled back and looked up again at the monitors.

Beep.

Beep.

'Oh thank fucking god,' the doctor jumped off and checked the rest of Marthinus vitals. He ordered more medication and then took a step back to lean against the wall.

He instead backed into Ellis Duban.
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
Ellis watched the flurry of medical staff run in and out of room 801. She stopped a nurse, reaching out and grabbing her arm. It stopped the woman like a brick wall. With an annoyed look, the nurse yelped.

'Marthinus Steyn?' Asked Ellis.

'Is dying, let me the fuck go!' Ellis released the nurse and watched her run into what she presumed was Marthinus room. She sighed and took out her cigarettes. She was about to light her cigarette when she saw the 'NO SMOKING' sign on the wall. Rolling her eyes she put them away.

She walked slowly to the doorway of 801 and watched Marthinus' doctor straddle him. She heard the faint prayers of the doctor and she smiled. There wasn't anything better than being feared, she decided. She looked at Marthinus, his face gray and lifeless.

Pity, Ellis thought. Such a useful man and an incredible mind. Alas, he was more useful to her as a human, not a vampire and she had no intention on turning him. She made a mental note to make sure there were large flowers at the grave.

Beep.

Beep.

Grand! She grinned. Good boy, hanging in there, she thought. The doctor got off of Marthinus and backed into the doorway, right into her.

'Excuse me!' The doctor said apologetically. When he saw who he had stepped back into, he almost kneeled as he bowed his head to her.

'Really, doctor. Dispense with the royal gestures.' She looked around embarassed but very much impressed. Familiar quality in this one, Ellis gleaned. 'How is my CEO?'

The doctor turned and looked at Marthinus, temporarily stabilized. 'He suffered another heart attack and was dead a good minute and a half. There shouldnt be any brain damage, I would think. We'll be setting him up on life support.' As he said this, the rest of the medical team came in, intibating Marthinus and sticking him with more needles. His heartbeart grew stronger under the machine's help.

'I dont know if a bypass will even benefit him at this point, ma'am. He's...'

'Going to die, yes we gathered that.' Simon said from behind Ellis.

Whipping her head around, Ellis was clearly startled. Her eyes said it all but she uttered,
'How'd you do that?'

Simon merely smiled at his maker and entered the room to stand next to Marthinus' bedside.

The doctor took his queue and left hastily.

'That's the second time you've done that.' She smiled, 'Am I going to have to put a bell on you soon...or just kill you?'

Simon ignored her joke or threat, he hadn't decided which it was. 'Marthinus?'

Ellis looked at Simon hard for a moment. 'He's about dead, dearest. Time to plan the funeral.' She waited for his normal wince of human pain but saw nothing in his face. Ellis, against her better judgement, furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. He was upset, she decided.

'Forgive me, dearest, but it looks as if Marthinus is on borrowed time,' a hint of her scottish brogue was noticeable. Ellis waited for Simon to speak and was at a total loss at what was going thru Simon's head.

Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Her surprised was most satisfying. Simon watched her as he walked around to Marthinus' bedside. She quipped about Marthinus' short time and amazingly it didn't even graze him. He had to stop giving her cause to suspect something was wrong between them.

She had no idea.

Simon looked down at Marthinus and sighed softly. They were finishing up the attachments to the life support machines and he looked nothing like himself. Strong, noble Marthinus. The platic tube in his mouth that was helping him breath and all the cords and IV tubing going in and out of his body. It coldly reminded him of Ellis' machine. No doubt she had to see the similarities, but he knew she'd never make the human connection.

That part of her died long before she was turned. It was the part in him that kept him humble.

Simon reached out and touched Marthinus hand, being careful of the IV. He asked Ellis quietly,
'You're going to let him go?'

Ellis shrugged, 'Jacob is already prepped and on his way.'

'Ah, Jacob,' Simon said with a grave smile. She already had plans to discard this useless vessel and realigned Duibne Industries. 'Marthinus would be useful to us still.'

Ellis tilted her head and almost snorted. 'Really? Look at him, he's almost a vegetable. He's useless to me now.'

Simon's head snapped up, 'The least you can do is show a little respect to the man who made you your legal fortune.'

Ellis' eyes widen. 'Tread softly, Simon. You forget who you're talking to.'

Simon turned his head to face Marthinus but kept his eyes on her, glaring. 'I remember, Ellis. I remember.'
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
Ellis opened her mouth but found she did not have the words. What was this change in Simon? Did he think this was her fault? Marthinus on his death bed? I gave him and his family everything, how dare he?? Ellis asked herself.

He's upset and tired. He looks like he just got done running to hell and back. She forgave his tone and cooed,
'It's best to let Marthinus go. We have more pressing matters on our hands.' Ellis had just come from Pier 9 with Ginne and the last known place of The Beast. She circled the bed and stood close to Simon who had finally turned his gaze towards his kins man.

'We are close to this Hillman. HE'S the one that did this to Marthinus. ' Ellis touched Simon's back as he hunched over Marthinus protectively. 'Save your pain for him.' She paused, waiting for Simon to stir but he did not.

Finally she whispered into his ear,
'I cannot help Marthinus now.'

In a low, gruffed tone, Simon replied, 'No, but I can.'
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Ellis slid onto the hospital bed and looked at him.

'He's not yours to turn.'

Simon blinked.
'Not mine?' He pointed at Marthinus and hissed at Ellis, 'That's my flesh and blood.'

'He's not...yours.' Ellis repeated plainly.

He knew what was next. She'd pout and put her hands on him, to try and calm him and do what she wanted. It was like this every time. Ellis would use her body to get her way and he'd let her.

Simon considered his options and he watched her scratch the spot above her cleavage. She was already starting the seduction. Here. In the hospital. While sitting on Marthinus' death bed. He felt his stomach turn for the first time, but he refused to let his expression betray him. Instead, Simon smiled.

He reached out and moved her hand out of the way and replaced it with his. Drawing a long, slender finger down into the soft folds of her breasts. She smiled, just then. He felt his fangs pulse as the rage in him begged to rip that smile off her face.

He sighed, trying to keep calm.

'I know he's yours, babe but...I'm attached to him.' Simon was fond of claiming ignorance when it came to doublespeak. He let Ellis do all the convincing in most cases. He did, however, pay close attention when she did.

'Let's leave Marthinus here, give him a chance to pull out of this and we'll finish our business.' He slipped his middle finger deep into her cleavage, prompting a purring smile from Ellis. He ran it up her throat and he placed his hand, fully expanded, around her neck. If she only knew how close she was to a crush larynx.

If she only knew.

'For me?' He moved his hand away from her throat and into her hair, running his fingers through the blackness.
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
He was showing entirely too much independence as of late. Ellis found it disturbing, but not nearly as disturbing as his claim on her head familiar. Marthinus belonged to her. Period. His entire family line stretching back to when she graciously took a poor English Constable in, belonged to her.

She'd have to find a way to remind him of his place.

Just then Simon reached up and touched her. There's my boy, she thought to herself. He wanted to leave Marthinus in the good hands of medical technology. She sighed inwardly, very much annoyed but decided to grant him this wish in hopes of realigning his attitude.

'Of course, dearest.' She stood, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him close. She smiled, kissing him deeply. Ellis almost giggled at the site. Two vampires tongue kissing over their half dead familiar.

What a sight!

Releasing him from her kiss, she purred into his neck.
'My poor Simon.' She felt his arms go rigid around her, holding her a little too tightly. She mistook it for lust.

'Really Simon, right here?' He pulled back and looked at her, then slowly smiled.

'Right, of course.' He took a step back and walked towards the door, holding his hand out to her. 'Shall we?'

Ellis smiled prettily, very much happy with the world, despite Marthinus' aging heart. They'd find Hillman, get The Beast back and maybe she'd get a taste of Sorin in the process.

Yes, it was a good day for Ellis.

((OOC - Ellis and Simon out))
Doctor 18 years ago
'It is truly funny how a stethoscope, a white jacket and plastic green clogs makes people assume you are a doctor when actually, I'm really not.'

With a large, dimpled grin, a brown woman with black hair and brown eyes walked with a spring in her step.

'I have medical training. Sort of. I took a first aid class and got a certificate and everything. It's not like I'm going to be administering medicine or operating on anyone.'

She paused a moment.

'Well, actually yeah I am. I'm going to be giving someone a shot. I have orders.'

The woman shrugged and fingered the vial in her doctor's coat. Passing the nurses station on the 8th floor, she happily flashed her badge and gave them another dimpled grin.

The other nurse looked at the badge. It said, 'Dr. Roz Hartmann'. The nurse half smiled and went back to her job.

'I love my job. See, I work for Marthinus, indirectly of course. I'm actually assigned to Jacob and I'm here on his orders. See, this vial in my pocket is called 'Eternity'. It's the illegal drug that Duibne is working to synthesize. It's vampire blood. And before you ask, yes there are such things as vampires. Ah, here we are.'

Walking up to room 801, 'Dr.' Hartmann slipped in quietly and reached into her opposite side pocket. She took out a capped syringe and found the IV to Marthinus' arm. In one fluid motion, she uncapped the syringe, stuck it into the vial of Eternity and filled it to its capacity. She grabbed the IV and through one of the open injection points on the tube, slowly mixed the vampire blood into the solution. She waited till the red tint of the blood was all absorbed.

Immediately Marthinus color returned and he moved, but did not awaken. Roz looked up and checked his monitoring machines. Strong healthy heart beat, better than before at least. Opening his gown, she checked his chest. The bruises from earlier resuscitation started to slowly fade.

'Any fractures that might have happened...well probably happened...will slowly heal in the next couple of hours. Hmm, I have to be careful on how much I actually give him. Eternity is highly addictive. 3 or more doses and he'll be hooked. This will give him a nice nudge away from the real bright light.'

Smiling, the brown woman capped her syringe and tucked away her illegal substance. She touched Marthinus' forehead and then touched her heart, giving him a slight bow.

And then she was gone.