Arting Around All Day (open)

(( Continued from Picnics and Flowers ))

Rachyl handed a ten to the cabbie, covering both fare and gratuity, and got out with Meegan onto the curb before the Arch Museum of Art.

The granite steps were magnificent, clean, and rather striking in the mid-morning light. Linking arms again, they slowly climbed the seemingly never-ending steps towards the top, gazing occasionally at statues and fountains along the side.

"You know, I've never been to an art museum... We had a class trip planned once to go to the one in Philly, but I ended up with the chicken pox that week and never got to go." Rachyl sighed in memory... It seemed a lot of the "fun things" kids did during school she ended up missing due to illness or something more personal.

Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan breathed deeply the smells of the building. She loved art museums, galleries, small little coffe shops with art, because of the smell. Like paint, dust and something older.

Together they ascended the stair well and stopped infront of the first painting, one Meegan enjoyed each time she came. The bright flowing colors always made her smile.

"This one is one of my favorites." Her voice was hushed but it still seemed to echo in the air.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl gave Meegan's hand a squeeze and wandered away slowly, taking in the myriad of still-lifes in the entrance hall. Flowers. Fruits. Partial landscapes. Vases of flowers. Bowls of fruits.

Rachyl returned to Meegan and whispered,
"Wow, sometimes art is as repetitive as life I guess."

She bumped into a support column in her reverie, then nearly tripped on the bench in front of it. She sat down and gazed searchingly at a bouquet of flowers on a table.
Meegan 18 years ago
"If you want to look at it that way. I prefer to look at is as each artist's take on life. For instance, if you put a bowl of fruit in a circular room with fifteen artists around it in a circle and lighting directly over head. At the end of the session you will have fifteen completely different paintings of the same bowl of fuit, each one full of the artist's individual touch, taste, and emotion. You will never be able to look at that bowl of fruit the same way again."

Meegan wandered a little way down from Rachyl and stood before a portrait of a young woman with redish-gold hair petting an Irish Setter. She stared longingly at the painting and with all that she had refrained from touching the priceless work.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl stood from the flowers and found herself on the opposite side of the hall.

A rather strikingly colored landscape hung at eye level. A lone duck stood on the shore of a lake, at what looked like sunrise.

She found herself sitting on the bench in front of it, stunned silent.

Her mouth opened a few times in succession, her hand moving in what should have been beckoning waves, but ended up being just random twitches.

She thought back a full two months... It occurred to her that she felt much the same way the duck must have, seeing her first sunrise in Nachton. That flash of awe, the heart-wrenching beauty, the soul-searing warmth of its rays...
Meegan 18 years ago
That woman reminded Meegan of her mother, it had the first time and it did this time as well. It mad her both happy and sad to look at that painting. Caught up in her own emotion, she neither saw nor heard Rachyl's beckoning.

With a sad sigh she moved further down the wall, and found herself before a collection of water colors. While, this particular media had never been Meegan's favorite the ones here at the Arch were exceptional. She began to stroll down the line her steps and her thoughts taking her that much furter from Rachyl.

'It occurs to me that I am in need of more than what I have. Every time I look at this art, that occurs to me. I wonder if I am flawed in someway that I can not be happy with all that I have accomplished over the twenty-six years of my life. I am in a place that most people don't see until they are almost to old to enjoy it. Look at yourself Meegan. You're young, and not humble enough to admit you think your're beautiful, sexually fulfilled, and you know your're a good lover. So what the hell is wrong with me?'

That little nagging voice in the back of her head kept yammering about being ungrateful and disloyal to Good and everyone else that had gotten her where she was, but Meegan chose to studiously ignore it.

As her thoughts circled around themsleves, her steps carried her to a darkened corner where several red tinged paintings hung.

((Anyone is welcome to join us, Rachyl and I are just going to wander in here for awhile.))
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl got a hold of her emotions and decided to look around for Meegan... but didn't see her anywhere.

"Now where did she get off to," she wondered as she stood, and memorized the name of the artist and the piece's title.

She moved with purpose from end of the hall to far end, hoping to catch up to her friend - wherever she'd gone. A corner of the watercolors exhibit seemed strangely dark, and she realized it was the red lights hanging from the ceiling.

A form sat on a bench in that darkness, and it looked Meegan-shaped, so Rachyl quietly, slowly, walked down the exhibits on the other side of the wing, glancing at them, stopping when she came parallel to the other. It was definately Meegan. She stood quietly behind a support, watching her stare at a painting.
Meegan 18 years ago
'You know if your mother were alive you'd be married off to some nitwit called Chet or Bryce, so just be happy you can lead your own life.' Mocked that little voice in the back of her head. Meegan mentally kicked at it and she had the joy of hearing it curse at her. That had to be the most irreverant thing it had ever said to her. Oh she knew it was really just her own thoughts giving themselves a loud voice, but that didn't mean she couldn't pretend it was someone else that was kickable. 'Is that even a word? Kickable?'

Meegan shrugged her shoulder and continued to study a painting of a man and woman locked in a very provacative if bloody pose, and she wondered what sort of turtured mind could create such a thing.

'Then again, I wonder if I would be capable of creating such a thing. As it very morbidly turns me on.' Meegan gave herself a little shake and continued to study the painting.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl couldn't quite make out the entire composition of the painting that consumed Meegan's attention, but she recognized two people in some sort of "compromising position."

She briefly wondered why such a painting would be in the watercolors section, then as she was about to decide to join Meegan in front of it, decided otherwise... And turned around to view a watercolor of a horse stable.

... But her thoughts kept drifting back to Meegan.
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra had wandered up and down the streets and finally found the Arch Museum of Art. Skipping up the steps she entered the cool airconditioned museum.

She wandered about the paintings looking them all over trying to decide what was each artists inspiration. She stopped beside a strawberry blond woman looking at a couple portrait.

After a few minutes she still could not figure out the reason as to why this loving couple was so bloody. She stepped back and looked at it more. The stepped closer but tried not to obscure the young woman's view. Finally she gave up with a 'harrumph'.

"I just dont know why anyone would paint something so loving yet make it so grim overall. I know love can be harsh but this is a bit gruesome." she stompped her foot and shook her head at it.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan sat looking at the painting, her eyes full of the couple. When she spoke her voice was low and soft.

"I look at them and think they have been through something tragic, their home and family destroyed and everything lost. In the bloody aftermath they cling tight to each other, knowing that at least, in this, there is still normalcy."
Nyra 18 years ago
"hhhmmmm" Nyra said "You may be on to something. Though I guess I dont have enough pain in my life to see it."

She smacked her hand against her forehead and winced. "Not that I am implying that you do, my apologies for that tactless comment"
Meegan 18 years ago
"No need. I do not think it is a matter of pain in one's life, or the lack there of. I think instead it is a matter of perception. You see, when I look at this picture I see hope, when you look at it you see darkness covering something lovely." Meegan turned her head then, her grass green eyes smiling. "You see it is a matter of perception, nothing more."
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl heard voices from Meegan's direction, and wound her way around the column to her friend. She stopped, somewhat surprised when she saw Nyra standing there, chatting quietly with her. She moved closer to the other two women, smiling gently.
Nyra 18 years ago
"You are quite right. I always wish to see the good, the lovely with no darkness or pain." she tilted her head to the right and looked at the painting harder "Perhaps you are right. It is one of hope, of overcoming bad things. I will have to think of this more. Thank you. Nyra McGurn by the way, pleasure to meet you." She stuck out her hand toward the taller woman smiling.
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan stood and slid her long fingered hand onto Nyra's. 'Artist's hands, with a firm grip. I wonder if she has followed the calling of her hands.'

"Meegan Masters. The Pleasure is mine." Meegan took her hand from the supple fingers of the woman and turned toward her friend.

"This is my friend, Rachyl Walker."
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl stepped forward to gently hug Nyra. "Actually, Nyra and I have met. Remember me telling you about the strange dinner date after going to the mall last Monday? She's the amazing artist I mentioned."

She smiled to Nyra. "Nice to see you again!"
Nyra 18 years ago
"Pleasure to meet you Ms. Masters. Thank you for the point of view. I will mull this over some."

She looked over as the shorter woman joined them. Moving forward she hugged Rachyl. "Rachyl, so good to see you again! It was a lovely dinner, just strange way to come together. I am so pleased to have made three new friends in one night. Even if I had to get three stitches to do it!"

She glanced ruefully at the white bandage on her arm almost hidden by her threequarter lenght sleeve of her peasant blouse. The cream material hid the bandage pretty well. Her skirt today was a bright geometric yellow and blue broomstick that went to her ankles, hidding her ballet style slippers. She felt almost dowdy next to the other two women.
Meegan 18 years ago
"Yes I remember." Meegan smiled at Nyra "It's nice to finally meet you, and, please, call me Meegan."

For some reason Meegan felt suddenly uneasy in this space. The little hairs on her neck stood up and goosebumps rolled up her arms, up around her shoulders and all the way down her chest to her belly button. Something was not right here and she could not place it. Maybe it was the building, or the paintings or the company. Meegan had a suspiscion that it was something more preternatural than that. However, she was not about to voice that to a stranger, Rachyl perhaps, but not this newest person. She gave a small, involuntary shudder, the smile still plastered on her face.

"You know they have an excellent historical art selection here, shall we go view that?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl nodded at Meegan's suggestion. "I would enjoy that, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for old stuff."
Nyra 18 years ago
"Thank you. It was lovely to meet you Meegan and always a pleasure to see you Rachyl. I think I will sit here and contemplate this piece a bit more. I think I need to learn something here." Nyra sat down on the bench in the middle of the room and got out her sketch pad and started jotting down notes and ideas about the dark painting.

"Please do come to my showing on the 15th at Ramsey's Gallery. Or drop me a call anytime. I would love to show you my work, if your interested."