After Dinner Treats

As consuming anything other than water might affect the results of her current testing, Nova spent most of the dinner with Marthinus talking his ear off, regaling him with stories from her trip, mostly about getting Powaqa up and running during her scant free time. The good cheer took her mind off what lie ahead; thinking about The Beast evoked a sense of foreboding in spite of her insistence on remaining impartial, and foreboding was not something she was used to feeling.

Together they stepped out of the quite charming restaurant and into the alleys of Nachton, walking in companionable silence (a concept that usually escaped Nova) to the back of the Dubine Warehouse.

Marthinus T. Steyn 18 years ago
Marthinus listened to Nova talk up a storm. Talking with her was always relaxing and her stories were always full of excitement, but that was probably because of the way her face lit up when she was in a good mood. Marthinus was not looking forward to showing her the beast.

They walked casually around the back of the building, almost hestitating on purpose. Marthinus decided to tell her a little about it, in hopes of helping her brace herself.

'The Beast is surgical steel and stands about nine feet tall. We've developed a transfusion system much like dialysis. A trickle of blood in to keep the vampire alive but not quite regenerate, then an exit IV to drain the vampire. The entire cycle is a slow one but theoretically we could bleed a vampire out for enternity.'

He mentally kicked himself, that was far from comforting. He was always in the habit of speaking clearly and to the point. Ellis demanded it and it was his nature.

'It is good at what it does, although we have not tested it yet.'

Marthinus opened the door and led them to the Beast's secured room.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova listened carefully to the CEO's description, and found it was helpful to have that mental image in her mind rather than the vague monstrosity she had conjured in her mind.

The workings of The Beast seemed simple enough, which was more of a concern than a relief. Creating a machine that worked was easy; just fudge it around until you achieved the desired result. Understanding -why- it worked was the challenge, and without comprehending the mystery of vampire blood regeneration, they were taking shots in the dark. One could argue that they didn't need to know the hows and whys when the effects were right in front of them, but Nova felt that was an argument from the days of spontaneous generation theories. "It just does" wasn't a good enough answer.

Devil is in the details.

She followed Marthinus into the secured room, unconsciously matching her gait to his rather than the speedy walk she normally adopted so that she would stay behind him.
Marthinus reached the doorway to the Beast's room and stopped. He touched the door knob and then smiled nervously at Nova. He couldn't help but be just a little proud of the creation. Despite what its pupose was, it was a wonderous piece of equipment. Its value alone in furthering synthesizing blood and advancing medical technology was staggering. He knew Nova had to see that.

A panel, similiar to the Domicile's entry pad, was to the right of the door. With his right hand he inserted his hand and spiked readers came down and sampled his blood. Marthinus waited for the click of the door unlocking and he opened it.

He could barely speak
. 'Dear....God.'

It was gone.
Nova 18 years ago
There was a small part of Nova that hoped fervently that Marthinus had entered the wrong room, but his reaction sent that hope crashing down.

What the...oh...Mother. Fucker.

Her mouth hanging open, she put one hand to her cheek, fingertips denting and sagging her skin. Trying to recover from the shock, she walked furiously into the empty room, looking around as though expecting The Beast to magically appear before her eyes.

Where the...who the...oh fuck.

The one thing, the -one- thing that had prevented Nova from fearing the worst of The Beast was the belief that, while aggressive, Dubine Industries was responsible and intelligent. While she might not like this particular approach, she could at least respect that they could, with her help, move forward from here in a disciplined manner.

The Beast in the wrong hands was like giving a rocket launcher to a cave man.

Who in the holy -fuck- did this?
The sound of the empty room was deafening. Marthinus could not believe his eyes. It was gone. The Beast, was gone. NO ONE had authority to move it, no one but him.

'Its gone...it'...gone.'

Marthinus took several shakey steps forward.

'The machine, its gone.'

He could hear his heart beating in his ears, the rush of his blood in his heart. His leg muscles felt like jello and he fell to his knees as he approached the center of the room. He was just here, days ago with Ellis and Simon.

'Ellis.' Marthinus bent over and vomited on the floor. The room began to spin and his chest was so tight. His vision tunneled.

'Can't...breathe.' He reached for Nova, his eyes heavy now. He was going to pass out. He felt his stomach tighten again and he managed to find his voice and yell out.

'ITS GONE!'

Then finally the darkness closed in on him.
Nova 18 years ago
Aw holy hell...come on Marthinus, wake up buddy, come on...

Nova had pulled out of her stream of cursing, intermingled with Marthinus's exclamations, in barely enough time to catch him before he crumpled to the floor. He sank in her arms, yelled out his mantra one last time, and fell silent and limp as Nova slipped to one knee in her efforts to support him.

He wasn't breathing, and wrenching fear struck her when she did not feel a pulse.

Come on man, you gotta wake up, you gotta breath now, aw Jesus, come on...

She laid him out on the floor, knowing enough medical science to understand that humans needed to breath in order to live, and pinched his nose, tilted his head back, and covered his mouth with her own. Ignoring the bitter taste of vomit, she breathed for him, and again, and then compressions, and again, until Marthinus took a shaky breath of his own. He was still unconscious, but he was breathing, she felt a pulse now, and that was somewhat encouraging. Still trying to fend off panic, she put one arm under his knees, the other under his neck, and lifted him. And then she was running, her sight blurred, running to her Firebird, still talking rapidly and entirely unaware of what she was saying.

You're gonna be okay man, doctors going to fix you right up, it's alright man, going to be alright...

She hefted Marthinus up onto her shoulders to open the car door, then slammed the front seat down and foreword. After stretching his still unconscious form across the back seat and having the hysterical thought that she had no way to fasten his seat belt, she jumped and slid over the hood of her car to the driver's side.

She drove like the hounds of hell were on her heels.

Her head cleared somewhat on the brief drive to the hospital, enough to grab her phone and hit the speed dial to emergency page Simon before tossing it aside in favor of having both hands on the wheel. Panic melted into white fury as she flew down the road; she continued to speak mindlessly, pounding a fist on the steering wheel for emphasis.

I'm gonna rip thump their fucking thump throats out.thump. No fucking thump right to thump do this to you aw buddy you're gonna be alright I swear it you're gonna be just fine we're gonna be at the hospital soon buddy I'll get you there soon...

She pulled up to the emergency entrance of the hospital, letting the Firebird slide parallel and hit the red curb, and pulled Marthinus out of the back seat. And then she was running to the entrance, yelling her full head off for help.
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Simon didnt hear his cell phone ring over the loud music playing on his cd player in his jag. He had picked up his phone to call Ellis when he noticed he had a page.

*911*

It was from Nova and about 10 minutes old. He dialed her number and perched the phone in between his chin and shoulder as he turned down the music.

His blue jaquar pulled slowly up to a stop light as her phone rang. He was about to hang up when she finally answered.

'Hey Nova! Are you back in town yet?'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova leaned her head back against the wall, looking up at the ceiling, cell phone pressed to her ear.

Yeah...yeah Simon, I'm back in town.

'Though this is the last place I wanted to be,' she thought bitterly.

Marthinus had been swiftly removed from Nova's hands and whisked off to a trauma room. It had taken three orderlies to convince her to remain in the waiting room.

Nova hated the whole concept of waiting rooms. Might as well call it The Room of Complete and Utter Impotence. Worse even than being helpless, though, was the fact that she had no information on what was happening. There had been nothing to do but sit and feel the rage and fear, which she had planned to take out on the responsible party, seep out of her.

Listen man, I think you need to come to the hospital. That's where I am now. Something happened, and he's going to be alright, but...well it's Marthinus. He collapsed tonight, and he's pretty sick. Doctors are taking care of him now, but...well I think it would be good for you to come out if you can. There's...more, and I gotta be honest, this night's gone all wrong in some real bad ways. Sure could use your ear, and I know Marthinus would be eased some when he wakes up if you were around.

She realized she was rambling, that her voice was shaking some now. Realizing how Simon was likely to take this bad news was enough to make her understand her own state of mind, and she suddenly felt deeply sad and vulnerable.
'Marthinus...?' Simon whispered to himself. He suddenly felt the need to vomit. Marthinus was his human child. The light turned green and a car horn startled him.

'Ten minutes,' he said to Nova and he dropped his cell phone and peeled out into the intersection. He was heading in the opposite direction of Nachton General so he whipped the Jag's steering wheel and turned the car 180. The stream of car horns and people screaming filled his ears but he heard none of it.

'Marthinus.' He said again and floored his Jaguar up onto the sidewalk, avoiding on coming traffic. He made it there in five.
Nova 18 years ago
"Â?Ten Minutes"Â?

Nova felt her shoulders slump in tired relief. She didn't know if she could handle an arsenal of questions right now, and was glad that Simon had decided to focus on getting here. She did, however, start thinking about how to answer the XO's likely questions about what had happened, and considered ways to break the additional bad news.

She felt guilty even thinking about a machine when Marthinus was in the hospital, but this would be devastating news for the clan. Ellis in particular would be out for blood, and Nova had not a bit of pity for the person responsible.

She was still leaning her head against the wall, twisted back at an awkward angle and tilted toward the sliding doors of the entrance, when Simon walked in.
He held his arms out questioning, walking directly to her. 'Where is he?' This was one of the thousand he had for her but he needed to keep it together. He put his hands on her shoulders and saw she was more than just rattled.

'Oh my god, come here.' He pulled her close and hugged her. Kissing the top of her head he said, 'it's great to see you, I'm sorry.' He needed the hug more than her, his flesh in blood was in there fighting for his life. He tried to concentrate on Nova as she spoke.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova jumped out of her chair as soon as Simon entered through the automatic doors and met Simon's embrace halfway.

He's in one of the exam rooms; they wouldn't let me go back.

She realized she was stammering a little as she spoke and did her best to pull herself together. Simon's hug, while much needed, crumbled what little composure she had gathered in the waiting room.

For now, Simon's main concern would be Marthinus. Though she would have to break the news regarding The Beast very soon, she felt she should explain as much as she knew about the CEO's condition.

She did not let go of Simon completely, though she pulled away enough to look him in the eyes while she explained.

He collapsed at the Dubine warehouse and stopped breathing for a minute. I was pretty scared out of my mind so I'm not sure, but I think his heart might have stopped as well. I got him going again and drove him here, and he was breathing and had a pulse when I brought him in.
Doctor 18 years ago
Doctor Lambert walked out into the waiting room, where the triage nurse directed him to two people currently locked in a supportive hug. It was not an unfamiliar sight to him, and while he hated to think he would ever become jaded to the sight of human pain, he supposed he had become at the very least accustomed to it.

He could at least take comfort in having good news to deliver this time around.

He approached the pair and stayed a respectful distance away, holding his clip board with a serious expression and only a hint of a smile.

You brought in Mr...Steyn?

He's going to be just fine. He had a minor heart attack but will make a full recovery, though some lifestyle ages may be in order. We expect him to be out of the hospital in a matter of days.

We strongly recommend that he get a very minor, common procedure that will help his recovery process and may prevent further incidents. It's called an angioplasty; what we'll do is find the blockages and inflate a balloon to give the blood vessels more room.

I have the paperwork here, I just need Mr. Steyn's next of kin to give consent.

He looked back and forth between the man and woman, raising his eyebrows questioningly.
For a painful moment, Simon could not breath. He disengaged from Nova and turned to the Doctor who was holding his clip board out at them. He reached forward and took the Doctor's pen.

'That,' he paused a moment and flicked a look at Nova, 'That would actually be me. I'm his...son.' Simon watched his hand reach for the clipboard and marveled at how suddenly everything was in slow motion. It was an easy lie but the truth of it shattered him. He signed his name quickly and with a shakey hand.

Simon returned the pen and clipboard and unconsciously wiped his hands on the sides of his trousers.
'You'll do everything you can, I am sure.' The Doctor nodded and gave Simon a lingering strange look.

He didnt look at Nova for a moment. He just watched the Doctor walk back thru the swinging double door. He would have to tell Ellis. Reaching for his cell phone, he started to dial. Simon wasn't altogether sure how Ellis would take it. He finally looked at Nova and put the phone up to his ear. As an after thought he spoke softly to a still very distraught looking Nova.

'Where were you when this happened?'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova watched as the doctor walked briskly away, but turned her attention to Simon when he lifted his phone to his ear. Not wanting whoever was on the other end to hear something they shouldn't, she reached out and pulled his hand down, looking the Tacharan XO in the eye and speaking in a low voice.

We were at the Dubine Warehouse, in -the- secured room. Simon, I should tell you...something went very wrong there, that's what set him off.

Nova was of the opinion that Simon should probably hang up the phone and hear the rest, but it wasn't for her to say which was more important, the call or hearing the accounting. Marthinus's cries still echoed in her ears, the sharp panic in his voice coming back full force. Before he could bring the phone back to his ear, she spoke once more.

It's gone, Simon.

She released his hand. It had not been her intention to break the news this way, but Simon needed to know their predicament and she had really waited too long. She had only wanted to make sure Marthinus was alright, but thoughts of revenge were again overwhelming her now that she had the doctor's assurances.
'It's gone, Simon.'

He stared at her, not quite understanding what she was saying. 'It's...what?' His forehead crinkled and he could feel the rage simmering in him. 'What?' He closed his phone and took a step towards Nova, standing very close to her.

He pointed at her, suddenly very angry. '
You and Marthinus were at the warehouse and you found The Beast missing?' Simon tried to check his anger, this was Nova he was talking to but with the sudden 180 in emotions, he could not help but let that rage spill over.

Simon wrapped his fingers around his cell phone and squeezed. The phone shatterd in his hands and Simon let his hand drop. He turned away from Nova and slowly walked up to the wall and rested his head on the cool surface. He could smell the laytex from the old, worn paint. Deep, long breaths. Simon closed his eyes and exhaled.

A moment later Simon turned around, facing Nova. His eyes were calm and cold. For as long as he lived, Simon never took stock in revenge. It just wasn't his thing. It was always frought with unnecessary danger and an empty victory. Ellis lived for it, Simon dealed. But now the need for vengence was seeping slowly into whatever heart he had left. The anger radiated from him. Not only was his clan betrayed but his mortal ties were affected by it. He could feel it behind his eyes, the rage consuming him.

'It was Hillman.'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova simply nodded stupidly at his questions, apprehensive of mentioning anything more until she was certain he could handle it. She couldn't help but feel a slightly frantic relief when he decided to take out his fury on his cell phone. While she could completely relate to the anger Simon was now showing, considering it was very much shared, vampires had a tendency toward the unpredictable when emotions got the better of them. And the always cool to the core Simon rarely showed his feelings, in Nova's presence anyway.

However, Simon seemed to mostly collect himself after crushing his mobile. When he turned back to her, his eyes still flashed, but the rage seemed to run cold rather than hot.

She blinked at his next words. Her first instinct was to ask who in the fuck Hillman was, but then she decided it didn't matter; he was nothing but a very dead man as far as Nova was concerned.

He's gonna pay for this. We'll give him a mother fucking reckoning.

She took a breath and realized that she was putting her personal feelings ahead of the rather significant problem of The Beast in the wrong hands. It probably didn't matter as the ends were one in the same, but she couldn't let herself forget about the dangers of the situation.

Need to get our machine back too, before he fouls up that whole operation.
Simon tried to keep the rage from interfering with logical side. First he had to contact Ellis. Well first he needed a new phone, he mentally rolled his eyes. He'd need to pick up the pace with The Wolf and get his information, so he'd need to contact Alfarinn and Thaddeus. He felt like he was on some sort of irritating quest. I'll give you this, if you get me this, but you need to get that from this person first. Only he didnt know what his end result would be.

He took a deep breath and explained everything.
'There has been recent developments within the clan. There has been several high level betrayals from our Merc squad. Someone is trying to get our attention and that person is Hillman. He wants our territory and stealing The Beast means he has upped the ante and pushed up the timeline. We need to find him.'

Simon gave her a sheepish grin and finally felt the anger in him subside.
'Can I use your phone?'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova laughed, more from the sudden break in tension than anything else, and found it somewhat hollow in her ears. She snapped her bright yellow phone from her belt loop, frowned at the mockingly bright cheeriness of the color and the pharmaceutical stickers plastered all over it, explaining the various interactions and risks associated with god only knows what, and handed it to Simon, equally sheepish now.

Sure, Ellis is five on speed dial.

That accomplished, Nova's thoughts turned to this 'Hillman' character. It thoroughly disgusted her that he would hold science and progress hostage just to get attention and territory, though this sort of bullshit wasn't really surprising. At the very least Nova could hope he didn't have any plans to use The Beast for himself, because a jackass like that was sure to just screw it up.

Politics and science were rarely a good mix, and yet one seemed to be abused at the expense of the other all too frequently. Even during those rare times when scientists could work together with like minded individuals, there would always be someone pushing for selfish advantage. It was really quite disgusting, and Nova could hardly wait to prove to Hillman there were consequences for such actions.

Just like there were consequences for fucking with a force of nature. Nova's mouth quirked in a half smile at the memory of her former teacher using those exact words to describe her.
Simon took Nova's phone and walked outside. As he exited, he debated whether or not to tell Ellis over the phone or just have here come to the hospital. He knew her reaction would be just a hair under a nuclear war, but they needed move, especially now since Hillman had the The Beast.

He dialed her number and closed his eyes.

'Darling!' she erupted as she answered her phone.

'Ellis...something's happened.' He looked down at the sidewalk.

Her tone immediately changed,
'What is it?'

'It's Marthinus.' He waited but didnt respond. 'He's been admitted into the hospital, he had a mild heart attack.'

'Oh dear,' she replied. Then gently said, 'Is he alright, Simon?'

Simon nodded, 'He needs an angioplasty but he'll recover, but that's not the bad news.'

'Oh,' she said.

Simon hated dramatics and he knew Ellis did as well. You took your facts and dealth with them. You could get emotional later.
'It's gone, El. The Beast.'

She did not hestitate, 'It would appear that Mr. Hillman is forcing his hand.' Ellis paused. He could imagine her, standing totally still, thinking of her options which weren't very many. 'Find him, Simon and arrange a private meeting. Him and I.'

'I dont' have to tell you...'

'No, you dont.' Her voice was firm.

'I will find The Wolf and make it so.' He replied.

Simon returned to Nova and put his hands on her shoulders.
'Are you ok here with him? There things I must do now.'