Who knows what tomorrow brings

Alfarinn wandered down the path until he found a bench amongst the tall Japanese silver grass. He had been thinking the entire trip up here. What should they be doing? What are they forgetting or overlooking? This Wolf was an accomplished killer, any hopes of him just having been lucky or having only a personal grudge against Emma were gone. Simon said he was old and demented, A psychotic mind was hard to predict and Alfarinn wasn't looking forward to getting close enough to sense the man in order to make an educated guess. Besides, it seemed from what Simon said that the Wolf wanted the ring, which would indicate to him that he wanted the person carrying it.

Straddling the small cement bench, Alfarinn reached out to Thaddeus and pulled him gently to him, wrapping his arms around his companion. It felt good to be able to hold him close with such troubling thoughts going through his mind. He could almost convince himself that he could keep them safe with Thaddeus's comforting weight leaned up against him.

Alfarinn bent his head down and said quietly.

"I hope you don't mind. It makes me feel better to be able to touch you."

Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus leaned into the other man's embrace, resting his head on the other man's shoulder and slipping one arm around him, allowing his other hand to rest on Alfarinn's chest.

Any time you wish, remember?

The walk to the gardens had been quiet, both men being as lost in their thoughts as they were. Already Thaddeus was forming plans, but there was a deep sadness that gnawed at his mind and seemed to slowly chip away at his determination. He held on tighter, as though that would dissolve the feeling, and found that being close to Alfarinn did take the edge off despair.

It is a comfort to me as well.

A part of him wanted to get up, to take Alfarinn by the hand and pace the gardens and talk and plan and prepare. He needed to keep fighting, knowing that if he lost his momentum all together the hopelessness of this situation would sink in, and he would be lost. But he knew he could not focus on the plans ahead with this sense of resignation hanging over his head, and so he pushed back and looked into Alfarinn's eyes, steeling his resolve.

We are going to get through this. Understand upfront that I have no intention of dying on you, of letting this "wolf"Â? go through with his plan. I need you to trust me in that.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn closed his eyes and leaned his head against Thaddeus's with a tired sigh. There was a great deal of planning left to done and they now had two weeks in which to do it in, perhaps less. They would have to see what they could find in their records about this man and that would require going to the clans, normally he'd say that would require them splitting up and going to their various homes but Alfarinn wasn't so sure he wanted that to happen, in fact the more he thought about it, the more certain he was that this was not a good idea. This man was Anantya, Simon had said, and that seemed a very important detail.

He smiled faintly and replied softly.

"Thank you."

After a moment, Thaddeus leaned away from him and Alfarinn watched him intently, the earlier events of the night bringing into sharp focus how little time they've had together. Alfarinn did his best to remember everything about this moment, desperately trying to preserve it against...against what? A time they would no longer be together? Such fatalistic thinking was more frightening than everything else. When had he started expecting one or both of them not to make it through this? Did he really believe that or was he just worried? It was hard to tell.

Alfarinn reached out a hand and brushed a hand lightly over Thaddeus's cheek.

"That's good to know. I wasn't planning on letting you."

He inhaled deeply and sat up a little straighter brushing off the despair that was no help to anyone. Alfarinn regarded Thaddeus calmly and said. " You are right. We will get through this...together."
Thaddeus wound his fingers through Alfarinn's, looking down at the now comfortable sight of black gloves intertwined with white fingers.

Together. As much as possible, in any case.

He knew there would be times over the course of the next few weeks where he would have to walk his path alone. There were dealings with Anantya to consider, both in establishing a safe guard in case something went wrong and in telling Mai, at the very least, what was happening. And then there was their current plan to consider, the risks inherent in that.

Thaddeus had initially intended to keep those thoughts to himself, wanting to spare Alfarinn the added burden of his own worries, but now even considering that option gave him a feeling of guilt. The Evenhet had a right to his thoughts in this. Thaddeus needed Alfarinn's trust in this, but that trust was meaningless if it was blind.

There are, much as I dislike the idea, times I will need to act alone. I will need to return to my Clan, at least long enough to ensure yours and Simon's names are cleared in case matters go against our good intentions. I feel it would be wise to inform Mai, at the very least, of the latest developments. Possibly Sorin as well, as he would likely have some insight which may be of use.

He would leave off telling Alfarinn the rest for the moment; he preferred to have the other man's clear opinion on how best to deal with Anantya, without clouding his judgment with even darker concerns.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn clenched his teeth in frustration for this trust in Sorin. There was not much he could do to change Thaddeus's feelings on the man any time soon but caution was still in order. He understood that the man trusted his clan but signs pointed to Anantya's involvement in this matter and the more people who knew, the more likely the chance would be that the hidden person they did not know about would be on to them.

"Thaddeus, I know you feel that way but I think it is not the wisest course of action. I am happy that you are thinking of Simon and I and our clans but if you are alive then there is no cause to worry. Walking about alone, improves the chances of that not happening. I strongly urge you to not to go without me or Mai, please, for my sanity's sake. It would be just as well for you to take me along, I would be of no use to anyone until I knew you were safe again."

Alfarinn laid his head on his companion's shoulder as he continued to speak.

"This man is said to be Anantya. Emma was Anantya and so are you, this whole affair seems to be bound up in your clan, Evenhet and Tacharan have but minor parts to play and that in solving this puzzle. Granted the second man might not be from your clan but all signs point in that direction. The more Anantya that know, even Sorin and perhaps Morrigan, the more likely that the information will get to the wrong person. It may not be them but an underling, an aid, someone they trust and when they speak of it, then the second person knows and we'll be none the wiser. Please, if you must speak to Mai, I can go with you. I don't think they will stone me on sight, or if you insist on being alone speak to just Mai, leave a letter with her to safe guard giving the information to the rest, if you must, as a precaution...That -won't- be necessary."

He held onto Thaddeus as if afraid that the moment he let him go he'd disappear. His fears had returned, Alfarinn could handle doing things calmly in order to keep them safe but Thaddeus wanted him to sit and wait while he potentially walked into a trap and it was tearing him apart with anxiety.
Thaddeus flinched at the vehemence in Alfarinn's reaction, though he did not pull away. He had realized that the Evenhet could be protective by nature but this went beyond that; he seemed genuinely upset at the idea of Thaddeus returning to his Clan. He had thought the other man would find it comforting to know that he understood their situation and could handle it and was thrown now by this unexpected response. He only knew that he certainly did not want to cause this man pain.

Alright. Alright, we will go together.

He ran a hand through Alfarinn's hair, still somewhat shaken but now mulling over the consequences of what he had just agreed to. While he agreed that Anantya would not harm the Evenhet on sight, it would make matters that much more complicated should anything happen to him. However, that was a matter he would need to resolve to the best of his ability either way. The only other drawback to bringing Alfarinn with him was the risk of his Clan discovering their relationship, and at this point Thaddeus found that this was the least of their problems. If they couldn't deal with a little inter-clan dramatics they probably didn't have that great of a chance of surviving this anyway. This was a small concession to make, really, and in any case...he would regret never taking Alfarinn to the Manor. Indeed, the more he thought about it the better the Evenhet's idea was; in the back of his mind he had thought to simply walk the halls and say goodbyes on the off chance this would be his last visit to his home, and the thought depressed him. With Alfarinn there, he felt it might be easier to make peace with his choices and not dwell on the worries and fears.

With that matter settled Thaddeus could focus on the rest of Alfarinn's concerns. He pulled back, taking the Evenhet's hand once more, moving his thumb in small circles. He respected that Alfarinn had been honest with him about his misgivings, appreciated it even, and hoped they could figure out the best course of action together.

I am still not certain that the killer is, or was, Anantya. I -know- the records, and I know the ancients of Anantya, living and dead, in particular. It is certainly possible I simply forgot a name, I will concede that, but...he trailed off, struggling to keep his thoughts in order....Alfarinn, this is my Clan, my family. If there was any solid evidence to indicate the killer is Anantya, beyond an offhand hunch of Simon's, that would be another matter, I assure you. As it is, I am hard pressed to feel unsafe in my own home. In fact, I would argue that I am safer there, in some ways; The Wolf clearly wants to frame another for my killing, and should I die within the Manor your innocence would be clear enough.

I will concede, however, that you are likely correct regarding telling anyone other than Mai at this point. I just...he made a frustrated gesture with his free hand....I truly think Sorin could help us and I fear I am making a mistake in not going to him. I cannot help but think of how betrayed he will feel when he realizes I did not come to him...and his wrath will be beyond reason should anything happen to me. You don't understand, Alfarinn...he told me, just before you and I met, that I was like a son to him.

Thaddeus felt his jaw tighten at this statement, and had to pause before continuing. Though he had no sons of his own, another regret so deep it was not even able to surface, he understood something of a father's love, and knew Alfarinn understood the same.

And even then, I shared your current concerns for revealing this to anyone, and now I fear I will regret not taking that opportunity to breach the distance between us. And I know I need to put that aside and think of the greater good in this, to be objective. It is just not a particularly good time to have a regret sitting on my chest. Or loose ends.

In any case, I will write my letter to leave in Mai's keeping. Not because it is necessary, but because I won't be able to think straight until I do.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn was taken aback by Thaddeus's flinch. He sighed and stood up, walking around to the front of the bench. Crouching down in front of his companion, Alfarinn placed both his hands in Thaddeus's.

"I'm sorry I am making this harder for you. I'm not easy to live with. Being an empath... it's just." He sighed unable to explain. " Some people think you know more. In reality, you question more. I feel what you feel but not what you think and I feel what I feel on top of that. It is not an easy ability to push aside either. It can be very...overwhelming. I try to be rational despite that, to make sure it is not the emotions getting the better of me."

Alfarinn leaned his head back and looked at the stars, willing his thoughts to be clear enough to explain. "In this case, I can't make them go away, I don't want them to but I believe it is a valid risk and I feel it possible that so little information has come out on this because it has started and ended within the same clan. People who knew best when to strike and where to cover up. I never found anything, within my own clan or yours but there is a trail now and the only known clan mentioned was Anantya. It worries me and I know you feel safe there. I cannot conceive of someone telling me that Evenhet was no longer a haven to me. I'm not saying that those you trust and love are guilty but there might be those around them who are. I don't know."

He regarded Thaddeus somberly. "Have you considered that they might be safe simply because they do -not- know. That perhaps the killer has hidden within the ranks of Anantya all this time and that those around him are safe because they are ignorant of it. To tell more would be to risk these people that you love, perhaps needlessly at this point. If we tell Mai, who already knows much of the story then she can safeguard the rest of the information. I know you agreed to do this at least partly for my sake and I thank you for that. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking and not simply reacting, though there is plenty of that too."

Alfarinn leaned forward onto his knees and rested his head in his companion's lap.

"I'm scared, Thaddeus, It has been a long time since I've had this much to lose."
Thaddeus tilted his head to one side and gently pushed Alfarinn's hair away from his face. Or at least, that was his intent, but even lightly brushing the other man's hair had a tendency to lead only to more touching, and soon his hands were running through those silky strands.

It was interesting, he thought, the perspective imminent death could offer. Some part of his mind was quietly reminding him that this was a completely inappropriate way to behave in public, but he could not bring himself to care.

You and I both. And the stakes just keep rising. The only thing I can think of to do is to just keep thinking, keep fighting, and not let my will drop for a moment lest I sink into despair.

Alfarinn, I would have reached that point long ago without you. Do not believe for a moment you are making this more difficult for me.

I am still...very much torn on the matter of Anantya's involvement, and who we should choose to have dealings with at this time. Because of that question in my mind, I suppose the reasonable answer is "no one you don't need."Â? You have already noticed that I am not always reasonable when it comes to my Clan. Thaddeus shook his head ruefully. I don't think anyone -could- be perfectly objective in this situation; this is why we need each other. We make a good team.

Thaddeus frowned thoughtfully, unsure of how to voice his next concern. If mention of returning home, where the dangers were possible but not specific, upset Alfarinn this much, he doubted his next comments would go any more smoothly.

We also need a plan if The Wolf decides to track me rather than leading us to his accomplice. If it weren't for that I would almost be tempted to strike preemptively, but that would mean wasting an opportunity to learn the second party's identity. We have so little information on him.

Giving Simon the actual ring is a calculated risk, considering where it will lead The Wolf. I'd just as soon be ready for either circumstance.

This is not an easy thing to talk about, but I would feel better if we looked at the worst possible outcomes so that we can deal with those and concentrate on what is actually likely to happen.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked up at from his resting place with a slight depreciating smile.

"That is something I can handle. There is thinking and planning involved not simply waiting and so long as you're not alone then I'll be functional." Still a nervous wreck on the inside...but functional " I think those cameras that we spoke of are still one of the best ideas."

He stood up and reached down a hand to Thaddeus. "I plan better when I am able to walk."

Wandering slowly down the path, Alfarinn pondered the facts they had at hand. It was good to move and stretch his legs, simply moving forward physically felt like doing something and it helped push away the crushing weight of the helplessness he had struggled with earlier. With Thaddeus's hand in his and his companion's assurance that he would not go back to the Manor alone, Alfarinn began to feel hope again. They would work together and they would get through this.

" We know that the Wolf is old and quite capable. Simon's words simply confirmed what the ring told us, assuming the Wolf is the correct person. I say the evidence points to that being the case, if not, well then we can hope for someone less dangerous but our precautions will leave us in a better situation at any rate. The description of him as psychotic, plus the information from the ring suggests to me that he likely does not work with a group. However, he was able to kill an ancient solo, meaning he is quite probably more than a match for either of us alone. Together we stand a better chance...but numbers and communication I think are our best bet. We should perhaps look into wire taps that can be worn in a jacket pocket so that someone else can be alerted to an encounter without us having to say anything. "

Alfarinn sighed and looked at Thaddeus. "I believe that numbers and advance warning where possible will be our best defenses."
Thaddeus realized that he was thinking so much he had not even looked around for several moments, and frowned. It was easy for him to lose himself in his thoughts, but he reminded himself that he should know better than to let the world fade away from him while he pondered matters. At some point in their walking, they had joined hands, though Thaddeus could not recall when, or even if he had ever let go of Alfarinn's grip in the first place. He looked ahead and observed they were approaching the trellises that marked the entrance to the center circle of the garden.

Yes, I agree with you on setting up the cameras. I also think we should continue our plans to look for the accomplice's apartment. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. I wish I had a better understanding of modern technology. He paused, trying to word his question. When Simon gives The Wolf the ring, I believe we need to be as far from the situation as possible, lying in wait to observe The Wolf's next move. In order to do that, we need a camera following him as well.

Perhaps Zone could develop something small enough to affix to the ring, under the gem, without causing damage or notice. I am not certain, and asking might give him more information than we want him to have, though he has proven to be most helpful so far. It is an option to consider; I do not have any better ideas at the moment.

The two men walked under the trellis and into the center of the garden, where the lightened marble fountain illuminated their surroundings. Thaddeus paused for a moment to look up at the statue, Artemis with her bow drawn and ready, before continuing along the path around the centerpiece of the gardens.

Make a wish, he thought dryly.

Wire taps are a good idea, though I am somewhat doubtful Mai would be comfortable using them and I honestly cannot think of anyone else who could be listening on the other end. Of course, you come with a built in Cavalry he smiled gently at Alfarinn, but it would be better to have someone who understands our situation and is prepared for this eventuality.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched the center of the park growing closer as they walked, the breeze was pleasant and tugged softly at his hair. Pushing a strand out of his eyes, he noted that the weather would be perfect for a nice quiet evening stroll and it seemed such a waste to be talking about such trying circumstances. Though he silently thanked nature for not giving them the storm that would be the appropriate counter part to their emotions.

As they reached the fountain, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the small packet of bird seed that he carried. When Thaddeus paused to look at the fountain and collect his thoughts, Alfarinn called to several of his feathered friends in the area. It had been a while since he had a chance to spend time with them and he owed Natt in particular an extra handful of seeds.

Spreading some of the packet's contents on the ground, Alfarinn pondered Thaddeus's statements.

"We could at the very least place a small tracking device under it, something that could send a signal and tell us of the ring's location. Hopefully he will carry it on his person and not simply put it away somewhere for safe keeping. If he does put it away then it will at least lead us to somewhere he's been, A man like that doesn't seem like the type to open a safety deposit account somewhere so we can hope that it will lead us to his residence."

He watched the crows gather near his feet and held out his hand palm up for Natt.

[I have something I want you to carry for me] Alfarinn sent to the crow who stopped his feeding to look up at him sideways with one curious eye. [In a moment, go on eating]

He chuckled at the Anantya's assessment of his abilities, while at the same time surprised that Thaddeus's thoughts had echoed his own yet again.

"Something like that." He said quietly.

Natt had finished the seed in his hand and he moved to rest on Alfarinn's shoulder watching Thaddeus from his perch as they continued to walk for along the path. Brushing his hands together to rid them of the last of the seed, Alfarinn turned to his companion.

"Could you give me a moment? I would like to send a message with Natt here. There is no mistaking who he comes from."

"As far as it goes, We might be able to ask Simon to listen in to the taps if you are willing to trust him. He seemed to have no love for this man so perhaps he would be inclined to help us out further."

Alfarinn pulled out a small tube and a piece of paper and a pen, things he tended to carry for just such an occasion. Writing a quick message, he rolled it up tightly and fit in into the tube, this he attached to Natt's leg as the bird waited patiently for him to finish.

[One more thing] He asked the bird to wait a moment before taking off. Putting an arm around Thaddeus, he pulled him close for kiss, using his other hand around behind him to pull loose a few strands of his hair. [Take these too, will you? Thank you, Natt.] Alfarinn held the hair loosely until he felt the crow pick them up and fly off with them.

" Thank you for waiting." He smiled at Thaddeus, gently brushing a hand along one cheek.
Remarkable.

Thaddeus studied Alfarinn as he wrote his note, looking the personification of serenity. There was an innocence to his expression, in the way his soft blonde hair moved in the breeze, his features softened in affection for the crow on his shoulder, and Thaddeus was suddenly struck by how -young- Alfarinn must have been when he was turned. Younger than him, perhaps, though in truth his youthful appearance was a fine veneer over something both ancient and enduring, something that showed through even in this sudden moment of tranquility. Thaddeus could see that timelessness in each gesture, in the shape of his hands as he held the notepad, the curve of his shoulders.

He was almost startled to realize that this was the most stunningly beautiful vision he had ever seen. He recalled commenting that the masters could not capture this man, and it was never more true than in this moment; nothing so base as paints could hold this image of Alfarinn, both old and young, pale hair curtaining around dark clothes, white skin illuminated by the reflections from the fountain. And the crow resting on his shoulder like a final affirmation of wisdom.

He wondered what Alfarinn must have sensed in him when the Evenhet approached him, kissed him softly, brushed his fingers through his hair. The cool touch on his cheek, though, brought him back to reality and made him realize he had been miles away.

No trouble at all.

He blinked, collected himself, and turned his attention to Alfarinn's statements, though there was a sense of confusion at the back of his mind. The tracking device interested him and seemed an excellent idea, and the Evenhet seemed confident they could make it happen. He nodded his head absently, pleased to have that, at least, fall into place.

A tracking device for the ring would suit. As for Simon, I suppose we could offer him the choice.

He looked into Alfarinn's eyes, the puzzlement beginning to mark his features. He was becoming used to the other man's quiet ways, enjoying them even, but he could not help but wonder about the sudden need to send a message. He wondered more at the thought that there was something the other man could not share with him.

Alfarinn?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and pulled Thaddeus closer. Nuzzling his neck, reassuringly.

"It is nothing dire and doesn't have to do with what we are speaking of. A surprise, If you'll indulge me?"

He looked questioningly at his companion. There would be no secret that he'd keep from Thaddeus, this was something he wanted to have done though, and quite frankly Alfarinn was a bit nervous about it and somewhat embarrassed. If it bothered his companion, he'd explain it it in detail but he'd prefer to wait for the proper moment.

Leaning back, he cupped the side of his companion's face, running a thumb gently along his bottom lip.
"I promise. It is nothing stupid or risky. It is for you, though, If that is alright. I will most certainly tell you if it bothers you. I'd never keep secrets from you and if this makes you uncomfortable then I will explain it to you as well."

Alfarinn waited for Thaddeus's answer, hoping this hadn't upset him too terribly much. It was not something that he wanted to wait on and yet it was not important enough to be a burden on his companion.
Thaddeus smiled, both pleased that in the midst of all of this Alfarinn would be thinking of him, and slightly embarrassed that he had worried over something so clearly well intended.

Something to look forward to, then.

The idea was a pleasant comfort to Thaddeus, if for no other reason than because it showed a certain amount of faith on Alfarinn's part. While Thaddeus believed, or chose to believe, which was essentially the same thing, that they would survive this ordeal, Alfarinn supplementing that belief could only help.

Not particularly eager to break the moment with more discussion of darker topics, Thaddeus took Alfarinn's hand from his cheek and kissed the inside of his wrist.

Thank you.

As much as Thaddeus would have liked to have enjoyed this time a bit longer, there was a great deal left to do and precious little time to accomplish it. He would just as soon get the tasks of arranging for his death out of the way so he could get on with life, and knew he would have quite a bit of writing to do tonight.

We should head back. Unless you would prefer to stay a bit longer.

Inwardly rolling his eyes at his own indecision, he gave Alfarinn's hand a light squeeze before releasing it.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at the gesture of affection, enjoying that brief moment of soft warm lips on his skin and that look in Thaddeus's eyes. It made him wonder how they both could get so caught up in worry when they had each other. Mai was right, they flew together now and they couldn't be stopped. A wolf was no match for a bird in flight, much less two. Fate had brought them together and it seemed an awful waste of talent to Alfarinn if it were meant to be so short.

Shaking his head, He led them both back to the entrance and towards the apartment.

"No, I think I'd like to go home, if its all the same with you."

((OOC: Out and out ))