Heading to Work - Friday Morning (lockable)

Rachyl's spirits were high on Friday morning as she took the early bus to the 'Net cafe. She was looking forward to a night out with Meegan and Veronica (or a night in, she realized, and felt herself warm slightly) and had worn the Egypt blue corset and skirt. She left her hair down, though, for the first time this week, and had put on pale blue eyeshadow and deep red lipstick that almost matched the burgundy of her wild mane.

"Wild mane is right. I'm going to have to get it straightened again, unless I want to be a frizzy mass of unruly curls."

Then she saw the weather report.

"Tropical Depression incoming from faltered Hurricane Dennis, heavy rains expected..."

"I hope that doesn't ruin our plans for tonight," she thought, and realized she didn't have an umbrella.

She stopped in the Walgreens across the street and bought one - compact black and white - and walked back to the bus stop.

On her cell, she dialed Veronica's number, but got voicemail. "She's probably at work already."

"Hi Veronica, it's Rachyl. Calling to let you know I'm really looking forward to tonight. Weather report says it could be nasty during the day, rain and all from the hurricane, but I still want to go out. I'm not picky on what we do, I just want to stop at a 'toy store' at some point. Give me a ring at lunch time."

She disconnected the phone and slid it back into her purse.

She felt the eyes of half the bus on her as she climbed the stairs and deposited her fare. A front row seat was luckily unoccupied, which she slipped into, cradling her purse and umbrella in her lap.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a head peek around the corner of the seat every few minutes as she travelled; four days and she still hadn't gotten used to either dressing as she did on a regular basis, or the attention she garnered.

The bus approached the stop nearest Gothic-ah, and she exited, smiling at the driver and her admirers. As she moved confidently from the curb towards the door, she allowed her bottom to sway. The sound of people standing up caught her ears, and she smiled and waved as the bus door closed and it drove away.

"Today is going to be a good day," she said to no one in particular - or maybe just to herself - as she pulled open the door to the building.