A book signing (Open to All!)

It was an odd thing for Saffia to be standing in a library after dark, with several other local authors. There was a pile of her books, well Elisabeth Bennett's books that is. Saffia Bennett's books weren't on display here, and Saffia was pretty happy with that. Romance authors had a specific image that they were expected to portray. And so she was dressed in one of the most ridiculous outfits that she had ever seen. It had been bought by her publisher. Chiffon, pink and diaphanous. It was utterly impractical and it was ugly. But it was expected and another author had termed it the Tradition.

And so she was in a concoction that made her look like a cake. She hated it. But she smiled as a librarian came up to her, also dressed in something that made her look like a cake. But Saffia kept her thoughts to herself.

"Miss Elisabeth if you will just come over here and get a picture with us..." The woman laughed, brightly smiling. Saffia smiled and posed. How many times had she done this with Lucius? Several times.

"Miss Bennett, where is your model! Lucian?" Saffia fluttered her hands prettily, the chiffon sleeves fluttering, distracting the reporter as Saffia answered. "Lucian Bennett died in New Orleans during Katrina. I miss my husband a great deal, and it was a loss to the romance market that the handsome viking is no longer among the living." Damned reporters, Saffia grumbled to herself, keeping that smile on her face, keeping her grief at bay.

"Do you miss your husband, Miss Bennett?" Another reporter asked her quietly. Saffia turned her attention to that reporter, reading the name tag, Romance weekly. Of course there was a romance weekly. It probably published soap opera excerpts as well.

"Of course I miss my beloved Lucian. He was my soul mate, and it was a shame that God called him home to become an angel." That was an acceptable response. Most bored housewives were devout Christians and believed in the concept of true love. It would make her books sell better. But the truth was that Lucian was her soul mate and she missed him terribly. "Lucian is likely rescuing many damsels in distress as one of God's angels." Saffia was pretty sure that these bored housewives would be completely horrified if they knew that Lucius was both a vampire and a sadist as well as a misogynist. How many bored housewives had Lucius fed from in his time? He loved romance conventions.

"Miss Elisabeth, please take your seat." Saffia smiled up at the first girl who stepped up, a pile of paperbacks in her arms.

"And what is your name?" Saffia asked kindly, pen poised to sign the first book.

Bao 10 years ago
Bao was thoroughly annoyed by having to go to the library. He had one of the most divers law libraries in the city, if not the state. He would say the world, but he wasn't the only vampire lawyer. They did tend to have the advantage of collecting research materials over decades if not centuries. The one volume he needed though one of the juniors in his practice had taken home with him. Bao was furious, that was strictly against policy. The man would not have a job tomorrow night unless his reason was exemplary.

If he wasn't already irritated by that and the fact that his best paralegal was needed on another part of the case and he was having to do this himself, this event would have. This was ridiculous, something like this should be at a book store not at a library. It was extremely disruptive to the quite studious environment he liked.

Bao sighed at the inane attire of the artist and the librarian. What in the world were they thinking? Did this some how help sell books? Even worse, he discovered, was the author's name. He debated, momentarily, which was worse that the woman would actually be named Elizabeth Bennett or if she had taken it as a pen name. If it were the later Bao wondered if he could find a way to sue. Jane Austin had been dead for years of course, not even her estate, whatever might remain, would have rights but he took issue with anyone co-opting the name of one of the more interesting characters in literature to sell paper back romances. If, however, it was actually her name, Bao rather pitied her.

The idle speculation didn't last long as Bao wasn't to be distracted from his task. What he needed was in a different part of the library, which, fortunately was less full of idiotic gawkers and considerably quieter. What he needed was quickly found and within a minute Bao had totally forgotten about the frivolous event, at least he did until the chattering noise became had too much for even Bao.

Not willing to suffer fools silently Bao went looking for the head librarian only to be told he was on vacation and that he'd have to deal with one of the others. Bao was fine with that, up until he was pointed at the creature in the costume. As she seemed more interested in this signing than the other patrons Bao stood quietly to one side patently waiting for her to notice him. When she finally did he made it extremely plain he expected the noise to be reduced immediately.

She dithered something at him, absently promising to take care of it and he, not believing the promise for a second, went back to his research.
Saffia 10 years ago
People might believe that book signings were fun for the writer. Sell a lot of books, engender good will with the readers for future books, especially books by other authors that were in the same publishing house. So when asked what she liked to read, she had a long list of authors to recite. It was never the truth.

But book signings were awful for the writer. The tables were never the right height, the chairs were uncomfortable, the pens were always cheap things. Saffia brought her own pens. She had considered bringing her own camp chair but that might offend whoever organized these things. Her back ached and her hands were cramping and she was thirsty. So she capped her pen and shooed her resident paparazzi towards one of the other authors.

She'd noticed that there was a rather handsome man that seemed upset with the book signing. She was pretty damned upset with the books signing herself and she was being paid to be here. She stretched and waved towards the librarian that she was taking a break. She carefully put the pen into her purse. It was rather expensive and she knew from past experiences that it would grow legs and walk away if she weren't careful and for someone with the ability of psychometry she absolutely did not want to use another's pen. It was bad enough that every book she touched told her something about the people's lives that came to her.

It took her a few minutes to find the man, who seemed to be studying a very large book. She walked over to him, regretting that she looked like a damned cake.

"I saw that you were rather unhappy with the book signing. I wanted to come apologize and explain that most of the authors would agree with you. We don't really want to be here, and we would much rather be anywhere else." She didn't presume to sit down across from him unless invited. "I'm Elisabeth Bennett." She was an extremely strong empath and his annoyance had hit her like a slap across the face. And for some reason his opinion seemed to matter to her. "In school every child teased me for that name, so almost everyone calls me Saffia." Well they would have if they had been required to read Jane Austen. The only book they had been required to read in the convent was the Bible and Jane Austen was about 500 years past that time however. She'd remembered how Lucias had laughed and laughed after reading it. The way he'd called her his little Lizzie. She'd liked that but the one time she'd dared to call him Mr. Darcy he hadn't reacted well.

"Forgive me," She smiled, "My mind wandered for a moment."
Bao 10 years ago
Having had a word with librarian Bao had willed the noise of the book signing into the background and gone to work. The decision was old and, in his opinion, flawed he was certain that there were several more recent precedents that he could use to call this into question. In fact, the more Bao looked at this the more shocked he was that the other attorney was using it. Although he'd brought his laptop, Bao was something of a traditionalist and was making notes on a yellow legal pad one of junior lawyers or paralegals would look everything up and have it ready for him the following night.

It did, however, appear he was going to need another volume. That was why he didn't like coming to the public library for this sort of thing, no matter how well appointed it was (and it was astoundingly appointed for a public library the public defender's office must be thrilled), it wasn't his and there was always the hassle of having to find the next case. To that end Bao was debating simply 'borrowing' the book even though it was a reference item and not to be removed. It wasn't a serious debate, however, he'd never break a rule like that. He might, however, go wake up the attorney who had taken his book home.

Before he could continue that thought though he was interrupted. That was rather astounding in an of itself, that it was the author, in that rather unfortunate dress, was less so. Bao carefully marked his place with a small sticky note and looked up, his face and voice both completely neutral. It was with some effort he refrained from advising her to be somewhere else.

"I would agree it is rather chaotic."

He could count on one hand the number of people in the world who would hear the irony in his smooth, mellow voice, only those who knew him extremely well. He was perfectly polite after all, Bao did not create a scene.

She continued to speak and Bao resigned himself to the inevitable. Undoubtedly she was starved for some form of intelligent conversation and he'd been nominated. Yet another reason to dislike public libraries. He would be terminating the person who took his book home.

"You must have had some extraordinarily literate classmates."

It was his understanding, and he could be quite wrong Bao didn't make a detailed study of human education systems, that Austen wasn't taught until the upper grades. He would have thought most children would be over name calling by that point, but things probably had changed since he was a child.

As her mind wandered Bao thought he might get off light and she would simply leave. She didn't and Bao couldn't determine if she wanted to sit down or not. He really did have to finish this in the next few hours, he was supposed to meet Pakpao this evening. He discreetly glanced at his watch and decided he had a few moments. Surely she couldn't stay that long she had to get back to the event. Mentally grinding his teeth he nodded his head to one of the chairs.

"Would you care to sit down Ms. Bennett?"

It sounded so absurd to say that, but he didn't say a word. This was going to be his good deed for the decade. Someone had better be impressed.
Saffia 10 years ago
Saffia took the seat and leaned slightly forward, not touching his book. Or indeed anything of his. Or even him. She knew better and there were things that she would rather not know. For whatever reason she wanted to make this man smile. She didn't catch the irony and shook her head slightly.

"You seem to be studying and all I wished to give you was an apology for disrupting your studies. These sort of events, well my husband seemed to enjoy them more than I ever have. Alas it is what it is, I tend to have more fun at the science fiction conventions that I'm invited to. Those people seem to have the ability to have a good time, unlike the bored housewives who haunt events like these." She plucked the sleeve of her blouse and grinned, "And my publisher doesn't make me dress like a cake at those." She sighed and sipped her bottle of water looking quite a bit put upon. "I'm not sure if I caught your name." She asked him quietly after studying him for another moment. She wasn't generally good at telling if people were like her or not, she wasn't strong in any of the traditional vampiric gifts - her turning had enhanced her natural psychic abilities, something that Lucius had always said made her 'weak'.

But something about this man caught her attention and made her think that perhaps he was one too. She'd talked with people from her clan, in her wanderings around the high-rise, and she'd talked a few times with some of the elders. They had advised her to learn about her clan before she was clanless. In truth she and Lucian might as well have been clanless when they lived apart, and Lucian did not have very many good things to say about other vampires in general. But she was trying, and one of the things that she was learning was that it was rather lonely to be a vampire, even here. Perhaps she should see about acquiring a familiar. Having someone to care for again would give her a day to day purpose. She sat, hands folded in her lap, her eyes on him. She was still determined, darnit, to put a smile on his face. If he was indeed capable of smiling.
Bao 10 years ago
"Thank you for the consideration.”

That he meant, he still wasn't thrilled with having been interrupted or being joined, even if he did invite her to sit down, but at least she had some manners. Not perfect considering this was a great deal more distracting than the crowed but even Bao had to concede her heart was in the right place even if her mind wasn't.

He didn't clarify that this was work rather than study, either she would look more closely at the tome and reach that conclusion on her own or she wouldn't. Bao wasn't worried about it, it didn't matter one way or another.

The waterfall, tidal wave of words was rather daunting. Not many people of her personal acquaintance were so loquacious, some of his professional associations could be, but of his personal this was unusual. Mentally he started taking a deposition building a case, although whether he was building a case for or against her Bao wasn't certain. It did make him edgy not to turn to a fresh page of his pad and start making notes, he'd have to rely on his memory. He had an excellent memory, but like most it wasn't perfect.

He ticked off facts, her husband was referred to in the past tense but he couldn't tell if it was a widow or a divorcee situation. She didn't seem to enjoy what she was writing, or at least not the audience, that was interesting, writing was not an easy profession to make a living at, there were far more frustrated writers than successful but she could afford to be contemptuous. Tenuous relationship with her publisher, or a domineering publisher. If it was the latter that was probably why she could afford to sound so irritated toward the people here.

"I cannot say I've ever been to a science fiction convention myself.”

He'd heard people talk about them before though, one of his sons and Pakpao both seemed to enjoy them even if they did not frequent them. They, of course, weren't the only ones in the family. It was rather amazing what new fads caught ones attention after living for centuries.

"My apologies, Bao Hoang.”

He disliked aliases, they complicated things and created legal difficulties if not done correctly. Of course, he did specialize in correcting and preventing those difficulties.

It was reflex to offer his had as he introduced himself. While handshakes hadn't always been traditional, and still weren't in parts of the world, they were the custom here and now.

Certain it would bring another lengthy explanation Bao did want to satisfy his curiosity, to finish his mental deposition of this woman.

"You will forgive me for asking but it sounded as if your husband was no longer part of your writing.”
Saffia 10 years ago
Saffia sighed, of course he'd bring up Lucius. Perhaps it was penance for being paid to be here disrupting his studying. "My mate, Lucius passed away during Hurricane Katrina. He was my love, and we'd been together a long time. It was ad when he and our daughter died. With the insurance payout, I decided to come home. We have some extended family and the area and I wished to get to know them better. They've been very welcoming." She looked behind her for a moment and the resident paparazzi seemed to be hovering about Helena Kyle who was a prominent historical writer. She at least didn't have to look like a cake when greeting her fans.

"Sometimes life isn't fair." She murmered to herself, though it was unsure if she meant the hurricane or the fact that the other writer got to dress like a normal person and not something that had escaped from the pages of a bridal magazine. She turned her attention back to the man, who she still hadn't made smile.

"Do you ever smile?" She asked him curiously, "You seem so intent and serious, and that isn't a state that is conducive to good health." Well certainly not in humans, and in vampires, well. It was better if they laughed and smiled occasionally. It made life somewhat better and less tedious. She knew that she couldn't stay and talk to him much further since the head librarian would be back to collect her soon enough and she didn't want to let Bao anywhere near that silly creature. Saffia was sure she could handle Bao, but the head librarian was most definitely mortal. And it wasn't exactly the woman's fault that she was so silly. The fact that she was imaginative and fun probably made the mortal children who flocked to this place love books even more.
Bao 10 years ago
Mate was an interesting term, not one he'd ever heard a woman use to describe her husband. Bao wondered about their relationship. Of course, she said she loved him and Bao had no reason to doubt that.

"I am sorry for your loss Ms. Bennett.”

It didn't seem to be a topic the woman wished the pursue and it wasn't his custom to dig for facts or violate people's privacy unnecessarily. That was the roll of the Night and it wasn't his taste at all. It was, however, a genuine sentiment, if extraordinarily reserved. Bao had been a father once, although it was so long ago he barley remembered it. In fact, he wasn't even certain he was still sad about the child's death he had been quite grief stricken at the time. That he did remember. It was logical to assume she was still upset.

The mention of extended family in the area seemed to be a rather universal code for Evenhet or Anantya. Now officially curious and giving the woman in front of him a slightly closer look, he was not inclined to tip his own hand. It was possible she was Anantya, he did not know everyone who lived at the Manor and of course not all members of the clan lived at the Manor. He, however, hoped that if she was a vampire or even familiar, she was part of Evenhet it was hard to imagine any member of Anantya allowing themselves to be dressed like that.

"An understandable decision. I prefer to be near my family when ever possible.”

It wasn't always possible, not with the work that he did, certainly not with the work Amir did and he rarely saw his sons. Ironically his phone chose just that moment to chirp was a very soft and discrete sound, one he gave every impression of ignoring. It was, however, an email. Bao strongly suspected it was another thinly veiled threat against Pakpao. This time he would not open it, he would wait to show it to her directly, perhaps he would forward it without opening it. There had to be some way to trace these things.

Bao blinked at the question. Although rather abrupt and blunt it wasn't rude. Very few people ever questioned his apparent lack of emotion. He was aware that it could be rather disconcerting to some people. Still even knowing this he didn't smile.

"I'm told not often enough but I do have it on good authority I do.”

When dealing with a jury Bao made very certain to exude charm. It was a performance though, something he had to think through and plan it out when at all possible.

"On occasion.”

He was not certain if that was humor or not, it might be perceived that way.

Hoping to deflect the conversation from himself, at least slightly, he turned the conversation a different direction. He did quite studiously avoid the topic of her dress.

"Has this event been a success for you?”
Saffia 10 years ago
The librarian called to her, and Saffia turned towards her, indicating a moment, "I suppose that I will have to go back to the event." She sighed and stood up, moving behind him and brushing against his jacket. A loud gasp comes from her and she stumbles into his chair and more of her brushes his jacket. She quickly rights herself and moves away from him, "Pakpao. You are her friend?" She asks quickly, the vision fading once she was no longer in contact with his belongings, thankfully.

The librarian called for her again and Saffia turned around and nodded, "A few more minutes, Ma'am. I need to talk to him, just a few more minutes." The librarian frowned at Saffia, and she was hit with the librarian's annoyance. So Safia took the librarian aside for a moment and then she took herself off, giving Saffia time to go back to Bao.

"Well, it seems we have an acquaintance. She helped me when I first came here to the tower. She was very kind to me." She grinned. "Good choice in friends."

((Bao gave permission for the vision from his jacket ! <3
Bao 10 years ago
It was with some effort that he managed not to breath a sigh of relief when Saffia apparently had to leave. He could get back to work. Bao did have the good sense not to look relieved or to open his book up immediately, although he couldn't quite muster the grace to stand and see her off. She had, after all, come to see him not the other way around.

At her gasp he did turn, an eyebrow raised, perhaps she had caught her frothy dress in the chair and torn it. That would, in his mind, be the only acceptable reason fro knocking into him. Thank heavens he'd hadn't gone back to his notes.

His daughter's name, however, was probably the wrong thing for her to mention. Bao's shoulders tensed and his eyes flashed, it only lasted a split second before he regained his composure and refrained from lunging out of his chair fangs bared. That exceptionally brief moment was replaced by his usual neutral calm.

"Pakpao? Kind?"

As much as he'd come to appreciate, even like his daughter Bao was rather realistic about her. She could be a bitch and wasn't inclined to open up to strangers.

"Are you sure? Thai woman, five foot nothing, blue eyes, and a penchant for expensive shoes?"

If this woman was part of those that were threatening Pak he'd pull her head from her shoulders, but not before he found out who she was working for. All his previous contacts, Ms. Cooper aside, had been male. Bao wasn't certain if he preferred the idea that vampires were threatening Pakpao rather than the wolves. If it had been the wolves he might have been able to find some backing, another vampire, another clan, and he was likely in a great deal of trouble. Politically it was -much- more difficult.

And, as she had come up with Pakpao's name seemingly out of no where, Bao had to conclude she was a vampire. He couldn't say with certainty what gift would give her such information, psychometry seemed the most likely. It could be some gift the beats had that he wasn't aware of, but she was undoubtedly supernatural of some sort, apparently Saffia had no issues telling him what she was. He, however, was not about to return the favor.

"Perhaps we are thinking of two different people?"

For all Bao wanted to know -everything- he wouldn't give any visual queues about his feelings. It wasn't professional and as personal as this was, it was also a job.
Saffia 10 years ago
Saffia leaned back and then nodded. "Yes, that was how I met her, she was looking for shoes. She gave me a couple of ideas. I haven't seen her since then, however." She shrugged lightly, then looked back over her shoulder towards the signing. That nosy librarian was calling for her again, and Saffia didn't believe that she was going to leave her alone this time. Saffia stood up again and pushed her chair in, this time actually intending to leave and not sit back down. She'd likely said more than she should have, she usually did. Perhaps Lucias was right, to keep themselves separate from others of their kind. It had been a lonely existence to be sure, the two of them and their familiars.

She missed that time, a simpler time. Perhaps it would work it's way into her next book as she used her books as therapy at times. Returning her thoughts to the present, Saffia smiles down at Bao, waiting to see if the man had anything further to say to her.
Bao 10 years ago
Shoes seemed so safe, so innocuous but these people had footage of Pakpao giving directions to a stranger. If anything that was more mundane. Could this woman be so brazen as to have stalked Pakpao and then brag about it to him. Saffia might have looked innocent, even naive with the brown curls and eyes and the idiotic dress but who was to say she wasn't the same as Ms. Cooper. Bao might have thought he was jumping at shadows, scumming to childish taunting with these videos but now he truly wondered if anywhere was safe.

He calmly watched her stand to leave. Bao would be running a check on Elizabeth Saffia Bennett. He sincerely hoped they turned up more than they had on Cecile Cooper.

Not trusting anyone he didn't know near Pakpao Bao refrained from saying he hoped they ran into each other again. He did, however, manage to check the urge to immediately pack up and go and warn Pakpao, he would see her soon enough and she had made it clear she didn't like his hovering and over protectiveness.

"She can be a touch reclusive.”

Bao conceded quietly.

Watching Saffia standing to leave he watched her closely to see if anything would indicate she was dangerous. There were no obvious sings, but most wouldn't be obvious.

"A pleasure Ms. Bennett. Best of luck with your event.”

He managed to force some warmth and 'sincerity' into his voice. It was preferable to her thinking he was suspicious.

Checking his watch, certain of how long he had before his session with Pakpao Bao forced himself to finish his research before leaving. But he did leave a few minutes ahead of schedule, shocking but true. He was rather worried.

((OOC... Bao out))
Saffia 10 years ago
Once Saffia had made it back to the main event she turned back towards Bao, sure that he was another vampire, but not having the instincts that most seemed to have for each other. Something wasn't sitting right with the encounter, but she scarcely knew Pakpao well enough to go to her and ask for further information. So she was preoccupied when she sat back down and so she dropped the book that was handed to her by a rather earnest soccer mom as the vision hit her, the woman using the book as a shield against a rather sadistic monster. At least that is how the woman viewed her attacker, as both larger than life and a monster. Saffia signed the book then caught the woman's hand, "You are not alone." She speaks firmly, her cell phone number inside the book. She wished that she had some of the stronger gifts of her people, but she did not, just the simple gifts that had drawn her to the convent so long ago.

((out!))