Book suggestions?

For Christmas my Master gave me a nook color, and then a few weeks ago I lucked out and got a kindle 3 B&W on ebay for 32.00. So I have both, and have been slowly reacquiring digital copies of books that I own (and only those) and am reading my way through my local libraries digital collection. But...

I'm running out of things to read! Any suggestions of authors or specific books would be great. Like most writers I'm a voracious reader. I like pretty much everything except trashy romance stories (but add some paranormal and I'm all over it) and westerns. The daily book blasts from amazon of the free and 1.00 books have gotten me some new authors...

Right now I'm reading a children's story about an amish girl named Lily on my nook and reading Lauren Oliver on my kindle with some cw gortner in book form from the library. To give you some idea of how wide my reading preferences are

Aishe 10 years ago
Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries series. Paranormal romance, more plot than romance and it's very good. The first book is A Hidden Fire and it was recently available on the Kindle store for free, got me hooked on her novels. The first books are a series of four and then there's one or two short stories and two standalone novels.

Love her writing. Total fan of hers now, and romances aren't usually my thing either.

Aside from that I've recently read a bunch of historical fiction, if you like that sort of thing I recommend Jean Plaidy. Anything of hers. She is deceased, sadly, but her novels are numerous and will definitely suck you in if you like reading about historical characters.

Aside from that if you want sci-fi/fantasy and haven't read the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, you need to. That one begins with Storm Front.

If those aren't enough, you can try some of the books by another of my favorite authors, Steven Brust. He writes the Taltos series, which is written kind of out of order. I'd recommend beginning that one with Jhereg. Fantastic author, very dry/sarcastic humor. Love him.
Miya 10 years ago
Thanks Aishe! I looked up the first book in the elemental mysteries series and it's still free so i grabbed it. Alas the dresden books aren't in my libraries digital collection. With all the doctor's appointments I have, it's easier for me to take one of the e-readers with me when I go out and not have to bother with books. They are also easier for me during a fibro flare since the weight of physically holding a book is difficult. I don't like downloading books that I don't own in some way. I know it sounds weird, but it's a sticking point for me. I figured since I've already bought the books (most in hardbacks) then the e-reader edition is fine.

I share my library card with an ex-boyfriend and since he's going to take his store to pennsic in a few weeks I'll try to get a few Dresden books and read through them while he's gone.
Akahana Yoshida 10 years ago
I have been reading a Modern Witch series by Deborah Leary (At least I think that's her last name.) I believe I got the first one for a dollar or something and then bought all the rest. Her's are made for e-reading though I think you can get amazon to make you a print one. In the back of each book she recommends lending it so I imagine there is a way I can do that if you like.

I recently read the Hunger Games series as well.

I haven't read a lot lately because I am usually too busy playing with clay, posting here or gaming.

For fantasy though, Name of the Wind is an excellent book. I really need to read the next one.

And all of the Game of Thrones series (though don't get terribly attached to anyone. >_> )
Pakpao 10 years ago
I've been using the 666 Park Ave books for airport/pool reading and they are good for that. Gone Girl was my beach book last summer, it was a little heavy for a beach book but not massivly heavy. I'll second the Dresden Files and I just re-read Beggars In Spain which is one of my all time favorites. Its a bit older now but that just means it might have gotten over looked but Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is good. For sure get that on an E-Reader it is a bit thick.
The Outlander series is good. I might have not read the last one or two. She does tend to write huge books though.

Mike is making no mention of Game of Thrones because she is mad at the author.
Miya 10 years ago
I'll see if the library has game of thrones in their digitial collection. Right now I'm reading through the book that a friend wrote that is going to the publisher next week on erotic hypnosis. I had him out here 2 weeks ago to teach an all day intensive to the local community which was really a lot of fun. By the end of it I was ready to sleep for a day which I did.

This week I have a doctor's appt on friday that will likely end up with me trapped there for the entire afternoon. So I'm hoping to get a few of these on the kindle to take with me as it's a lot lighter than the nook tablet. But the tablet can play mah jong...choices, choices! Keep the suggestions coming and I'll add some when I get to my laptop and the kindle that are inexpensive. I just finished a series about a mermaid that cost me 10 for the entire series, so it wasn't bad. I love that the e-readers have given us the ability to discover a lot of really good writers. Actually one of the guys from the Raven- Mythic (an eq2 rp site) just published a book on amazon and sent me a pdf. Cyber-punk isn't really my thing so I'm having trouble getting through it.
I just started another book tonight that was on the kindle's daily (or maybe monthly) deals. It is called Nine Rules to Break when Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean. I am not a romance fan but the humor in the description (and the price) was enough for me to give it a chance. So far I love the characters and am enjoying the book.

On an entirely different note. I would be playing and writing but my internet connection has been horrible. Clear is doing some updating, upgrading or something and it has not been reliable at all. It took about four tries over several hours to post Evgeni. So if there is not a post in the morning by me then that is why. I will get to it when the internet connection has sorted itself out.