Living Vicariously

Six months, more or less, of every pregnancy were extremely uncomfortable for Nikhila; for any amaroq woman really. Even for those that retained more of their mind while shifted, during the three nights of the full moon the feel of your inner wolf clawing, and crying to be let out and your body denying that was extremely difficult. Just one more thing to add to all the other quirks of pregnancy, and it wasn't something you got used to. This was the third time in four years Nikhila had been pregnant, they were making up for lost time with a vengeance and she loved her children and would love this one too, but she did miss running. The sounds the smell the desire to hunt, working with the pack... but Nikhila did make the most of her confinement and spent time down at the den helping with the children. Noah and Avery seemed to enjoy the evenings as well.

She wasn't the only one who pitched in, several who were able to resist the pull of the moon were there, other amaroq in her position and a number of Illamar; even Reign tried to show up one night of the month when she could playing with the older children. It was late, the first bit of chaos of the evening had passed and all but the oldest children, even Noah and Avery, were asleep. With everyone settled and in Zoya's capable hands Nikhila had made a quick check on her own children pulled on a jacket and found her way to the porch with some reading material and a cup of tea.

The porch was well enough lit that it was easy to read by, and that was her intention. Although, at this stage in her pregnancy, she was six months along, she was a bit more inclined to day dream than usual and so had brought a few options for her reading. Even though it was cold out she was happier outside where she could see the Long Run and hear the Pack. Once she'd settled into a rocker and sipped at her tea which was pleasantly hot but not enough to burn her tongue, Nikhila sat and let her attention wander as she rested a hand on her belly and felt their new little bundle shift about a bit.

Joshua Wesson 11 years ago
The full moon was always an interesting time of month for Josh. Usually he enjoyed it; he spent it mostly with his Pack taking care of the children who were as yet un-Gifted. He liked spending time with them. Being the oldest, the little "father" of four younger sisters after their dad had died, there was very little Josh hadn't seen or done where kids were involved.

Lately, however, he'd been feeling restless when the moon was up. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. Everyone he loved and cared about was currently out there running around. Some with less sense of purpose than others, it was true; they didn't call it mood madness for nothing. But still, tonight Josh would have given anything to be Amaroq. He wanted to feel it like everyone else felt it.

All the children were settled down now and there was little remaining for him to do. Now that he lived off Pack grounds he didn't stay the night. Gris would be home in the morning and Josh wanted to make him welcome. Bed turned down, ready for a quick cup of coffee, a shower, a brief nap, some breakfast. Maybe his boyfriend would work from home for the morning, take some time to rest. Josh might feel left out a bit but that was no fault of Gris's so he certainly wasn't about to let it rub off on him.

Josh took a short walk down behind the Den before heading back up to the parking lot on the side of the building. As he passed he Alpha's home he saw Nikhila sitting out on the porch with a book and a cup. Xephier's wife was once again pregnant, much to the loving amusement of their Pack. They teased the couple gently, but in all seriousness they were thrilled that their Alpha's family was growing. Xephier was a good leader, his wife Nikhila a perfect match for him.

Josh couldn't just pass by. He knew Nikhila well enough by now that it would have been rude not to stop. Besides, he liked her. He detoured up near the porch, not climbing up onto it, but stopping at the bottom of the stairs where she could see him.

"Aren't you cold?" Josh called softly.
Nikhila 11 years ago
If she were honest with herself Nikhila would admit to more looking through the book than reading it. Part of her was very much focused on listening for the Pack and any voice she knew, just out of habit and because it was much better than being cooped up inside on these three nights of the month. She might not be able to shift but she also wouldn't be able to sleep, so she listened.

It was a different voice from the Pack that refocused her wandering thoughts, a rather human one. Spotting Josh she smiled and shook her head.

"I'm thinking about taking the jacket off actually.”

The whole 'bun in the oven' think was rather true. It messed with the metabolism and body temperature something terrible, and she was more likely to be hot than cold. Although she was grateful not to be extremely pregnant during the summer, she wondered if liking the windows open in the middle of winter weren't a bit rough on Aidan.

Joshua had proven to be a very kind and considerate man, Nikhila had grown to like him. Even if she'd been pre-disposed to dislike him after having shanghaied him as a baby sitter a while back it would have been impossible -not- to like him. Although he often seemed too stayed and too serious, which, given her own nature which was a little more reserved, was saying something.

"You looked like you were having fun this evening.”

There were too many children of all ages for just two or three adults to handle, some played, some helped with homework, some changed diapers; whatever needed to be done. Nikhila had seen Josh pitching in but hadn't had a chance to say anything, just quickly wave at one of their resident Liechtensteiners.
"Were you headed home or would you care for some chai?”

Nikhila had made it that evening, while she substituted roobis for the more typical black tea to avoid the caffeine, it was still tasty. It was her own blend of spices, aromatic, sharp and crisp.

"Or I might have some hot chocolate if you'd rather.”

The invitation was easy and not at all a formality, she was enjoying getting to know Joshua. Besides it was good to be with the pack during the full moon. And amaroq or illamar, he was pack.
Josh nodded in understanding; he didn't know what pregnancy was like himself, obviously, but all of his sisters had children and, well, you didn't grow up with a gay brother and -not- start to eventually consider him 'one of the girls.' Josh had heard it all. From periods to cramps to sex to conception to every gory detail of every birth. To be fair, they'd given him his fair share of grilling after every date when he was a teenager too. And they were every bit as curious. Maybe worse, he reflected. God only knew that the last thing any big brother wanted was for his hormonal little sister to ask advice on how to give a better blowjob yet that, too, had happened.

Nope, details simply didn't bother Josh anymore.

When Nikhila observed he'd been having fun with the children Josh managed to convince a frown to appear on his normally inexpressive face.
"Did I," he mused. "I'll try better in the future. Can't have that."

His grey eyes were warm though; of course he'd had fun. If he didn't enjoy being with kids there were plenty of other tasks he could volunteer for during the full moon.

He held his other hand up when Nikhila offered him something to drink. He had already gotten some coffee from the Den before heading out.
"I'm taken care of, thank you," he said, "but I would be happy to sit with you if you'd like some company for a little while. Can I get you anything?"

There was no sense in hurrying home without Gris there and really, it would just be lonely. Josh enjoyed Nikhila's quiet, dignified company. They had that much in common and she never seemed to expect or need any more of him than he normally gave - his soft expressions and mild temperament seemed to meet with her approval for the most part.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Not everyone was boisterous and expressive, she understood that. There were parts of the world where that was considered the norm. Joshua's quite nature, however, made his mild humor that much more noticeable and effective. It made her smile, she even laughed softly.

"I promise not to tell. It wouldn't be fair to cheat you out of -some- fun."

Nodding at the coffee she didn't press further, although she thought he was missing out on the chai she was just as glad not to get up and make something else. She had brought the pot of chai out with her because getting up was starting to be a bit of a chore.

"No, but thank you. Please do sit down though, come company would be quite welcome, nights like this it seems like everyone I know is on four legs."

In short, she got a little lonely. Nikhila didn't have Aidan's gift but she suspected that Josh felt something similar. He was attractive, intelligent, and talented he didn't -need- to be here tonight. Perhaps it was some sense of duty that kept Joshua at The Den but it was likely he missed his family and friends. Given what she'd gotten to know of him, it also seemed more than slightly probably that he'd just go home and work and everyone needed a break.

"You have a large family don't you?"

They hadn't discussed his family much and that was a topic that was on her mind, for obvious reasons.
"That's very kind of you, thank you." Josh didn't have any trouble keeping a deadpan expression on his face when he answered Nikhila. It was kind of what he did, after all.

At her request he took the stairs up onto the porch and made himself comfortable in a chair next to Nikhila. He nodded sympathetically when she expressed her loneliness. Josh felt it too, of course, particularly because there weren't that many Illamar here. He wasn't going to express it openly himself, however, since he was a pretty reserved person for the most part and didn't really know Nikhila well enough for confidences of that nature. He felt it though.

"It must be more difficult for you, really. I've never known what it feels like to run." He lifted one shoulder; he couldn't very well miss what he'd never had. But she must surely feel it keenly.

Nodding at her next question he elaborated for her. "Yes. I have four younger sisters. All Amaroq, all with families and children of their own. My mother, of course, and a very large extended family."
Nikhila 11 years ago
Occasionally Joshua's calm neutral expression could leave Nikhila just a little puzzled, wondering exactly how serious he was being, but this time there was very little mistaking he was still playing. She simply nodded by way of 'you're welcome'. No, she'd not spoil his fun or ruin his reputation. Not that he hid his time playing with the children during the full moon.

It was good to have someone with her just now and help distract her from wanting to howl at the moon. Her passenger was just as restless and started turning about and so Nikhila started to rock gently, it seemed to help both of them. You want something you couldn't have, had something physically denied to you, it was actually painful and despite her outward calm and composure it could tear you up inside. It also tended to make her a bit cranky, but she found a softer answer.

"It is not my favorite part of this experience, missing out on these runs. For three nights you're simply not whole.”

She pondered for a moment longer, it seemed to her that Joshua was leaving a lot unsaid. And while she respected his privacy, Nikhila was also coming to consider him a friend and as such she didn't want to leave such a statement hanging, it would have been rude.

"I don't want to be rude, but you must have thought of being Gifted. I hope, that if it is something you want you haven't decided against it.”

Joshua's story was his to tell, or not tell, as he saw fit but that didn't mean that she wasn't both curious and concerned. It had to be a difficult choice to be illamar with so many Amaroq siblings and so he must have his reasons. However, if this was something Josh truly wanted, he shouldn't rule it out. It just wasn't her place to ask why he hadn't done something about it yet so directly.

His family made her smile. She liked the idea of a happy large family and they were working on making their own. Her family had been quite large, but not exactly happy.

"Ah... I had all brothers, I rather wonder if Avery will wind up that way as well.”

Not that they knew what they were having this time, but most people seem to be leaning toward boy; popular opinion seemed to be split about 55/45 boy to girl.

"Have you been able to see them recently? Or should we be expecting a visit assuming you remain here for a while?”

Nikhila wondered if his family would relax Josh a bit. They might get to see a slightly different side of him, more unguarded and a little less business like and professional.
Josh continued to remain silent on the matter of Nikhila's missing out on her runs, opting for another nod of understanding when inside what he really thought was, well, at least you know what it feels like the rest of the time. But that would be rude. Nikhila wasn't trying to be insensitive. She was a werewolf, the Change was a part of her and the Kadzait always embraced their wolfish sides.

When she asked him about Gifting directly, though, it was too personal a question for Josh to be forthright about. He didn't know Nikhila well enough to pour all of his hopes and dreams to her. Instead he gave her the diplomatic answer that seemed to satisfy most people who asked.

"When I was young I had a family to take care of, after our father was killed. The timing wasn't right for me. Maybe in the future it will be. I'm not opposed to that option."

Not only was he not opposed to it but it was one of his greatest desires. He wasn't lying though - the time just never seemed right. Who would do it, anyway? It was supposed to have been done by someone special to you. Josh had no one to fill that place in his life. He was his family's patriarch; they had never been terribly close to their grandparents on either side and his mother couldn't fill the role of leader. Josh had himself and that was all.

"Brothers wouldn't be such a bad thing," Josh said with one of his vague smiles. "At least my sisters claim I was tolerable. I wasn't your average brother, though." He shrugged. While he didn't advertise blatantly, his sexual preferences were no secret among his Pack. Rarely had anyone ever seemed to care about it, and Josh discussed it without fear of prejudice for the most part. It was who he was.

He shook his head when Nikhila asked about his family.
"I haven't seen them for some times," he said. "Several years, although we all talk pretty regularly on the phone. And we email. I'd like to go back for a visit next year, maybe. I don't know if they'll come here. They're all married, and it's difficult for my mother to travel as well. It's always been so much easier for me to go there."

Josh was the one always moving around, and of course he had no family but them. Did he want a child of his own? He looked at Nikhila, thought about her large family, and wondered if Gris ever wanted to be a father. Josh was the last male in his line. If he had no children, a circumstance that was fairly likely given all the facts, there would be no direct male descendent. That didn't particularly concern him... but, he thought, he kind of did want a family.
Nikhila 11 years ago
The answer was vague, and polite, a wonderful example of his diplomatic skills. She didn't think it was exactly the truth, it wasn't a lie, just not the whole answer. This also wasn't something she could or would press him on. Although it felt a little odd, wrong, to let the subject go, because she wanted to help, Nikhila put her instincts down to hormones and didn't press him further.

"I am sorry you lost your father in such a way."

That was something Nikhila was all too familiar with, having a parent killed. It had been quite a long time now and it no longer hurt quite as much, but it wasn't something you ever got entirely over.

"But I'm sure your family appreciated everything you did for them."

If only her own brothers had been so considerate. Of course, if they had she might not be here now.

"I'm glad you're keeping your options open though."

Nikhila chuckled softly at Josh's review of his fraternal skills. It was easy enough to imagine that Joshua would have been a good brother, undoubtedly he would have been open minded.

"I am all for brothers, but a sister might be nice too."

There never seemed to be a doubt that there would be another boy. Everyone from Aidan to toddlers were convinced there would be brothers. The idea of another girl was a little less certain. It seemed that girls were quite rare in the family.

"Skype is a wonderful thing isn't it? Almost as good as being there, not perfect but a reasonable substitute."

This part of Josh's life was something she was quite jealous of, it had been years since she'd seen any of her family. Anything she knew of her brothers or their wives or their children she learned accidentally and not just third party but from press releases or other equally impersonal sources. The odds were, with the exception of Makhesh, that all of them thought she had died long ago.

"Maybe you should make some plans to go, I'm sure Aidan would agree with me. After all it is easier to move one person than... at least five."

Especially if his mother wasn't traveling very well. She also wondered if his mother was unwell. That was uncommon, although not impossible or unheard of, in a werewolf.
Josh smiled at Nikhila. "From what I gather, girls are a rarity in the Alpha's family."

It wasn't just rumor, it was fact. There were almost no girls in the Hammerthynn line. It was common knowledge among the Pack and the subject of some gentle humor. That the Alpha and his mate had managed so far to have both a boy and a girl was considered something of a miracle.

They continued to chat about family, which was always a good conversation. The death of his father aside, Josh enjoyed talking about his. His sisters and he had always been close. He wasn't as close with his nieces and nephews as he would have liked since he had lived outside of Liechtenstein for many years, but they did talk regularly and Josh knew them all - well, all but the two youngest, who had been born after his last visit home and had never met him in person.

"Skype helps," he said with a soft smile. "We email, we phone. We do everything we can to stay in touch and it makes me happy to know they miss me."

Josh was secure in the knowledge that his family missed him and loved him. He had long since stopped sending money home; he, like the rest of his sisters, contributed to their mother's bank account to keep her in funds but she currently lived with Josh's oldest sister in Liechtenstein.

"I'll go back soon," Josh said, wondering why next year wasn't good enough. "I have a few things going on here in Nachton I don't really want to be away from."

Gris, mostly. And - oh yes, Gris. Josh wanted his boyfriend to meet his family and was hoping that after a little more time had passed he might accept an invitation to go with Josh for a week or even just a long weekend. On the one hand Josh didn't want to rub in the fact that he had a happy, loving family. On the other, his family would immediately absorb Gris into their ranks. It was just the way they were, and Josh very much wanted to share that with his lover.

He lifted a shoulder.
"I'll get there soon. They aren't going anywhere, so they've told me. And they understand that the work I do here is important."

Josh tilted his head at Nikhila.
"What about your family? Do you see them at all?"

Normally he wouldn't pry but Nikhila was clearly in a talkative mood. Josh had never seen the Alpha's wife with any of her own family, nor had she ever, to his knowledge, taken a trip to visit him. But maybe she had; he didn't know. He didn't exactly keep tabs on their whereabouts.
Nikhila 11 years ago
That was good enough for Nikhila. Honestly she wasn't trying to chase Joshua out of Nachton, not even for a long weekend out in the country. She just hadn't been able to travel in quite some time and it was starting to make her a bit restless. It was very odd to want to move, to see a new place, to explore and at the same time be very tied to one place. There was no risk of her just taking off, no those days were behind her she didn't even give a second's thought to the idea of leaving Aidan and the children behind. To paraphrase someone, 'Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.'”

His question brought her up a little short, even though it was a perfectly natural inquiry given the line of conversation. It was something she didn't talk about much at all. For the most part people seemed to simply assume she'd lost touch with her family when she became part of the Pack.

She sipped at her chai and debated how much to share, only Aidan knew the whole story and it wasn't one she shared too often. There was, however, a fine line between sharing and a tale of woe. When she did answer it was quietly with a minimum of details.

"My mother died when I was young, my family didn't handle her loss well and as a result not long after I ran away. I haven't seen any of them in years.” She smiled, although it was a bit sad. "I think most of them have forgotten I ever existed.”

Although she did regret loosing that part of her life, Nikhila wasn't burdened by it. She'd found more than enough love and belonging to fill that void. Maybe not at first when she had gone wandering but now she didn't even give it much thought. Once in a while it would make her sad, but not for long and not often.

Not wanting to sound or become too maudlin, hormones could make her a little over emotional and she didn't want Joshua to think he'd upset her, because he hadn't, Nikhila let the conversation slide to the side just a little bit.

"I would like to go back to India though. I spent a great deal of time in a convent in Dharamsala. They are a bit cut off though, difficult to stay in touch.”

And the odds of anyone still being alive who remembered her were slim but she knew the convent was still there. It would be worth the trip just to see it.

"Maybe in a few years when the children are older though.”

Dharamsala was not an easy place to reach and attempting to travel there with a child only a few months old, as well as two active toddlers, seemed a bit more daunting than even Nikhila was willing to attempt.
"I'm sorry for your loss," Josh said when Nikhila told him of her mother. He could certainly understand, and he knew Nikhila would get that his sympathy was absolutely sincere. After all, he had just finished telling her about his own deceased father. Sometimes loss of that nature could really only be understood by someone who'd also experienced it.

He didn't push for information about Nikhila's family. He didn't offer false platitudes. It wasn't his way. Maybe they had forgotten about her; it was their loss. Nikhila was a generous and loving person, a wonderful wife and mother. Perhaps she was better off where she was now.

She quickly turned the conversation to something a little lighter and, because it was the mannerly thing to do and because he wouldn't want to drag anything down, Josh went along with it easily.

"I can't see you attempting a plane flight that long with three children. Or even two and a half."

He shook his head with a wince.
"I don't think enough games and toys have been invented to keep them occupied for that long. You'd just have to bring along a lot of benadryl and complain loudly and frequently about the allergens in the air."

Josh wasn't opposed to better living through chemistry. He would admit he'd used the benadryl tactic on his younger sisters once or twice. Nothing said 'peace and quiet' like a three hour mid-day nap.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Nikhila nodded. She had been sincere in her condolences and knew he was in his. It was, in her opinion, impossible not to have a genuine sympathy for someone who'd experienced the unnatural loss of a parent. And while she and Joshua seemed to have a number of things in common, this wasn't something she'd expected them to share, and was rather sorry they did.

They both seemed to prefer to change the subject and Nikhila was glad of that. Some memories were difficult if not impossible to confront without becoming rather sullen at the very least. Josh's suggestion of Benadryl stopped that possibility in its tracks and made her laugh aloud. Although it wasn't a loud laugh it wasn't her typical soft chuckle. The idea seemed so out of character for him. Of course, it was also extremely practical and therefore totally in keeping with his character.

"It isn't the plane ride it is the connections and long winding mountain roads that would the real challenge. But I think I hear the voice of experience in this idea. Have you tried this with your sisters?"

It was a rather charming image, a young Joshua herding wolves about and finally resorting to Benadryl to keep them in line, or just to give himself a chance to keep up.

"Do you have any other tips and tricks for traveling while out numbered?"

This one she was carrying now officially meant that she and Aidan were just that. It would only get worse from here. Of course, they could always stop. Maybe. Perhaps. Probably not.

While she was teasing him just a touch Nikhila was also quite serious. She wasn't too proud to turn down perfectly good advice regardless of where it came from. And based on what he said Josh had far more experience than she did.
Josh tried to picture a journey like Nikhila described it with his sisters, their younger adolescent versions, and he very nearly shuddered at the idea. "We didn't go very far very often on account of my mother's poor health," he said, "but there were several trips to see family that were... well, they were a trial for a teenaged boy and four younger sisters."

He lifted a shoulder at Nikhila.
"I learned a lot of tricks, but it's different for everyone. One of my sisters was a sucker for books. I just made sure I had something new for her and she stayed quiet for most of the way. My youngest sister had so much energy I hardly knew what to do with her. I used to take her out jogging the morning of a trip. For several miles. I wore her out until she had to nap on the way."

Of course Josh had been exhausted too by then but it didn't matter. He had learned at a young age how to push through that.

"Still, you can only do so much. I would settle for 'okay' behavior when I knew 'good' wasn't going to happen. My sisters were good kids. They never really misbehaved, but they were still kids."

He smiled a soft smile at Nikhila.
"You'll do fine. Noah and Avery are good too. I think they have plenty of their mother in them."

The humor was mild, and very subtle, but Josh was definitely implying that Nikhila's genes were responsible for her childrens' good behavior. Everyone knew the Alpha had a reputation as a bit of a prankster. But then, he also had a tendency to work himself into the ground for his Pack. Nikhila had a much better sense of balance and Josh thought that would rub off on her children.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Nikhila nodded, she recognized wisdom when she heard it. Unfortunately their two pups were still a bit young to have such specific 'cheats' as it were. Certainly they could both be worn out, although it was getting harder to do that with Noah and she suspected it would only get worse. On the upside of life neither she nor Aidan slept much, her mate less so than she, and they would probably be able to wear their children down.

His humor was quiet but still did bring a smile and a mild laugh as a result.

"They have more of their father in them than you might think. Especially Noah."

Their oldest seemed determined to be a miniature of his father. Who knew how long it would last, but for now she found it tremendous amusing as the sturdy boy toddled after Aidan trying to do everything just the same. They might have gotten him one or two little toys and the like to help him in his mimicry.

"I'm not sure I can handle two of them."

Nikhila said with a teasing roll of her eyes. If all of the children turned out to be 'mini-mes' of their father she'd be happy. There were worse things. Even if there was nothing worse, she wasn't about to give them up. Aidan was heres, every last quirk and idiosyncrasy and she loved him, it went without saying the same would hold true for each child, no matter how many they had.

"But I suppose it is worth the risk, I could get lucky and have at least one perfect gentleman in the bunch."
Josh laughed softly, a dry sort of chuckle. It wasn't entirely natural to him but he knew his normal expressions were difficult to read.

"I think you're doing fine," he said. "A third won't be so much trouble, really, when you're already used to the two of them. By the time number three is a toddler Noah will be ready for pre-school and all those fun things. You'll see, time will fly."

Josh had put his youngest sister through pre-school himself. She was too young to remember much about their father. With five children, they had spanned in age from Josh's eight all the way down to one. In fact, only Josh and his two next oldest sisters really had much recollection of their father. And even then he was a very vague figure in their memories. Josh seemed to be the only one who had many good memories and a clear picture of his father's face.

"Did you plan to have many children?" he asked Nikhila politely. Xephier was a doctor, after all. He was hardly ignorant of modern birth control. Josh could only assume that if Nikhila was pregnant again it was because the Alpha couple had decided they weren't finished making a family yet. He couldn't see Alpha Xephier not respecting his wife's wishes in that regard. So despite her trepidation Nikhila must be a willing mother.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Time had done enough flying in Nikhila's opinion. If she hadn't been such a coward, so insecure, this one might already be in high school. That was a bit of a daunting thought. It was fair to say that things had not gone perfectly between she and Aidan, and Nikhila took most if not all of the blame for that. They were, however, if not perfect now, as they should have been, maybe even better than they would have if she had stayed all those years ago.

"It already has."

It seemed like just yesterday she had told Aidan about being pregnant for the first time. Granted she'd been a bit clumsy about it but he'd been so happy. And it was an enthusiasm that didn't seem to wane no matter how many times she told him. Although, she might not want to tell him -too- many more times.

She smiled, slightly self consciously at Joshua's question. Nikhila had no intention of winding up constantly pregnant or with nineteen children. But one, two and even three children didn't seem like enough. It was asking a lot of Aidan who already had the Pack to care for, but between the two of them they had a lot to share so it only made sense to have a large family.

"Before I met Aidan I didn't plan on any, but now... yes I do rather want a large family. Not enough to end up on reality television but more than the standard two point three. At least as long as he can keep up."

Having his time divided so many ways already Nikhila knew there was a lot that her mate couldn't do, it was just part of being married to the Alpha. Of course he was very involved with the children he was by no means a distant or token father, he was very hands on. But at the same time she wanted to make sure their family, their home was a place he could relax a bit and just be himself, not -have- to be the Alpha or the face of Staford or a doctor.

"What about you? Have you worn your paternal instincts out?"

It was quite possible for Joshua to have a family of his own these days, either through adoption or a surrogate. Although she was curious she was careful not to ask about anyone he was, or wasn't seeing, deliberately leaving the question open for as much or as little as Josh wanted to say. Nikhila thought he would be a wonderful father, especially without the added burden of having to be a brother and be there for his mother as well, with the chance to plan it out and chose that path rather than being thrust on to it.
Josh had to laugh softly when Nikhila answered that Alpha Xephier would have to keep up with their growing family. "I suspect he'll be up to the task," he said. "I don't know him well, but I think he's happy with his family around him."

Josh knew that Alpha had grown up as an only child, not knowing until much later in life, only recently in fact, that the old Alpha was not his father. Now he had a huge family of cousins, aunts, and uncles, and seemed very happy to add to the numbers.

When Nikhila asked him about his own plans for the future Josh found himself coloring a bright red, impossible to hide with his pale complexion.

"Ah..." he coughed softly, trying to formulate a response. It was strange to talk about this when he had never discussed it with Gris... after all, they were only dating. "I don't believe I have," he finally answered Nikhila. "I actually... I think I would like to be a father. But that's a long way off, I think. I can't predict the future. It may never be, and I guess if it's not to be Ill just have to be happy with spoiling my nieces and nephews at every chance."

He shrugged. He wasn't going to worry over what he couldn't control. Gris was the most important person to him. If he absolutely had to have children and Gris didn't want to he could always be a donor for another couple; Josh thought his genes were just fine. He wouldn't be ashamed to share them with someone else.

First, he had to be certain Gris wanted to stay with him. Josh refused to push that issue. That would happen in time, or it wouldn't. It was foolish to plan for an uncertain future. What mattered now was enjoying his time with Gris and hoping it lasted. Forever, preferably.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Nikhila absently rubbed her belly. It was hard to believe that it would get bigger yet, already it seemed like it was more substantial than with Noah or Avery. She smiled at Josh's observation. It was something she was more than happy to agree with.

"I know we both are.”

You only had to look at his face when playing with the children to know how happy. Those quiet moments made everything else worth while and it was something she would fight to protect. Fortunately, however, there had never been a need.

Joshua's blush was rather unexpected and Nikhila had to hide an amused little smile. Privately she hadn't been certain that Josh could ever be flustered to this point or that he would ever display such a visible reaction. It spoke volumes.

"I hope you get your chance. I think you'd do even better with all the experience you have.”

Parenting seemed to be very on the job training. You learned and got better every day, you made new mistakes every day. Nikhila was very pleased that Josh wanted to raise another child.

"I'm sure your sisters will appreciate that.”

Nikhila kept a fairly close eye on the comings and going and available apartments in the Den. She liked to try and welcome new comers and make sure they had everything they needed to settle in. She knew that Josh had given up his apartments here and so she assumed that he was seeing someone. She very much wanted to ask about that, but didn't. If it was a serious relationship then children were a conversation Joshua would need to have with his partner. If it wasn't serious then it wasn't a conversation that would happen any time soon and she didn't want to pressure Joshua.

"You're more than welcome to stop by and pay with Noah and Avery and who ever this turns out to be whenever you'd like as well. I promise not to kidnap you again, just to play.”

It was a very genuine invitation and one that she hoped the would accept and not just out of duty.
"Thank you," Josh said to Nikhila. Her kind words didn't surprise him; she was always polite, dignified, and warm. She seemed to be sincere, and that gave him a warm feeling too. There was no better endorsement than someone who was already a parent. A relatively new one, at that.

He smiled a little when she mentioned his sisters.
"Oh, I don't know. One of them insists I spoil her children. Another thinks I don't spoil them enough. They all have different attitudes about it."

While they'd all grown up together, the siblings were by no means similar in personality. Family gatherings could be loud and obnoxious sometimes but they were always fun. It was funny, how loud and obnoxious could be just fine when it was your family and not someone else's.

At Nikhila's invitation to visit with Noah and Avery Josh nodded.
"They're good company," he said, meaning it. Noah was a sharp little boy, mostly well-behaved, and Avery looked to be following in her brother's footsteps. Josh couldn't help but suspect Nikhila got lonely for friendly company now and then though, also. She was often known as 'the Alpha's wife' and while she was well-respected and treated with great care, Josh didn't often see her enjoying the company of many female friends. He wasn't brash enough to point that out, though. He would simply make sure to come visit Nikhila a little more often.

"I don't recall ever being kidnapped," he said mildly. He knew what she was referring to and it hadn't bothered him at the time. Not one bit. If it happened again, it would also be fine.
Nikhila 11 years ago
Nikhila smiled at Josh's description about his family and the varying degree of spoiling that happened. Even thought she might have been a tiny bit jealous Nikhila couldn't think of a better person to have this person than Joshua. He and his family might protest a bit but Nikhila could only imagine because Josh traveled so much and was away so often that any visit was a treat. So much so that anything Joshua did beyond that would be just icing on the cake.

"Ignore them all and go with your instincts. They are only young once. This advice, however, might not apply to my children."

Her eyes danced as she added that last bit playfully. She had enough faith in him not to really worry that Josh would truly spoil any one. He might occasionally let himself get too caught up in work, and he might not take much personal time, from what she'd heard and seen, but he was too conscientious to truly spoil a child.

Although he hadn't said as much in so many words Nikhila understood that her invitation had been accepted and she was pleased. She knew better than to offer too much too soon with Joshua, if he would enjoy coming to play would be a good start. He'd done so well with the children that day, they'd been entertained and taken care of. Perhaps it was what she saw around Joshua when she looked, perhaps it was what Aidan said, either way she trusted Joshua implicitly and both Avery and Noah seemed to as well.

"I appreciate you not pressing charges at the very least."

She hoped he understood that she wasn't just recruiting a baby sitter, he would be welcome for his own company.

Wistfully she wished for Joshua's ability to stay calm and focused tonight. Her own conversational skills were probably not as nimble as they were typically.

"Perhaps it was closer to drafted..."

She mused further.

"Have you found something to keep you busy in Nachton in your off hours?"

It was a gentle vague inquiry, as she again was careful of his privacy and natural reserve.