You -Are- the Weakest Link (attn: Julian)

It was exciting to be in Nachton, Mathew had never been, but that wasn't very surprising since most of Asa's business kept them in South America. Sure there were some big cities and you could have a lot of fun down there but there were also vast stretches of nothing. He supposed that he could have left Asa, he wasn't wet behind the ears any more he'd be able to manage on his own, quite well too, but it never felt right. He occasionally wondered if that was loyalty or if Asa had messed with his head.

Since there was no way to tell really Mathew simply made the best of it. This meant he'd be stretching this errand out as long as possible. He wouldn't fuck it up, no that wouldn't do, but he didn't have to do it right away either. So he'd stalled for three days before settling down to business. Finding Valentine hadn't taken too much effort, oh a bit to make sure he had the right woman but she wasn't exactly in deep cover. She was cute too, that was a nice bonus; fresh and young and looking decidedly Irish but not exactly a stereotype. Better yet she seemed to have a boyfriend and he seemed to be human. He'd watched them long enough that he was convinced they had a relationship and that the man was mortal. Well that would be the place to start.

He waited for a day when it seemed unlikely that the two of them would be hooking up. Valentine was younger than he was, at least that is what Asa said, but Mathew still wasn't looking forward to tangling with another vampire, especially if Giovanni had made her. Besides, it was better to go after the weak link.

Lurking around the municipal center didn't bother him, who cared about the cops and the politicians and other bureaucrats? They weren't his problem, just curly. Mathew blended into his surroundings and followed the guy. He was having a spot of fun deliberately stopping his feet or kicking up a bit of litter, anything to make the blond man suspect he might be being followed in hopes of having him a bit rattled when he finally made his move.

Julian Stephenson 11 years ago
Julian was heading home from a night spent playing in a little quartet at the Town Hall. He said his good-byes to his fellow musicians and declined offers of a ride home. He didn't like cars on the best of days and tonight was slightly overcast and looked a little like snow. Smelled like it too. There was a gusty chilly breeze with that little smoky bite to it that said it could fall any time.

So, bundled up in his coat, hat, gloves, and scarf, Julian opted to walk home. Maybe it was the weather but he was a little jumpy. He kept hearing things rattle behind him. A can bounced along the sidewalk. A rock skipped across the street. Nothing terribly abnormal but he didn't see anyone moving them and there wasn't that much wind.

He picked up his pace a little bit, determined to get home, turn the TV on, take a shower, and have a drink or two. Follow that with a benedryl or two and he'd be out like a light until morning. No problem. He limped a little more heavily as he walked faster, clinging to areas that were well-lit. He wasn't stupid. Sure, he thought he was just being paranoid but that didn't mean he was going to wander into a dark alley or anything.

He reached his little studio apartment soon enough. He paused to get his mail from the box in the entry way and went toward his own door. As he opened it, he dropped an envelope. Bending to pick it up, he glanced behind him to make sure he'd shut the vestibule door. Looked fine. He was just being jumpy, as he'd suspected.

Julian continued on into his apartment, leaving his mail on the counter and gently putting his violin down before moving to take off his outer clothes.
Stranger 11 years ago
Mathew was having such fun tormenting the blond that it didn't occur to him that the man was headed home. He should have made his move half a dozen times over. Asa wouldn't be pleased at all.

Just as he was about to give up for the night a slow smile spread across his face. There was no reason to leave, not really. In fact, this was better. Now no one would see them. He slipped into the vestibule and managed, just barley, to slide into the little studio apartment. As curly started to take over his jacket Mathew decided that he'd waited long enough.

Dropping his blending, not wanting to let the violinist know what he was, Mathew ran and shoved the man into the nearest wall. It was a good shove that probably rattled the human's teeth and he could have pressed his edge but instead Mathew took a step back and let the man get a look at him.

He wasn't a bad looking guy, light brown hair, eyes that bordered between green and hazel, faintly tan skin, a trim fit build just about six feet. If he hadn't just turned up in your home out of no where and pushed you around he might appear harmless, might.

"Welcome home."

He said with a smile that came no where near reaching his eyes.

"Why don't you have a seat so we can talk. Oh, make a move to call someone and you'll probably regret it."

Probably, maybe not. He was dating a vampire, so he was being snacked on, he might even enjoy a bit of pain.
Julian was completely taken off guard by the hard shove from behind that sent him careening into the wall.

"What the..." he wheeled around, putting his back against the wall, his heart hammering against his rib cage when he realized he wasn't alone in his apartment. A man stood there, a stranger, with a cold smile that made Julian shiver. How the hell had he gotten in? None of the windows appeared to be broken and the door had definitely been locked.

"I'd rather stand, thanks," he said in a weak voice. He found he literally couldn't move. He was terrified.

Everything he'd ever learned about robberies went through his head. Don't talk back. Give him what he wants. Don't try to be a hero. No, he definitely wouldn't try to be a hero. He was a violinist, for crying out loud. What did he even have in here that anyone would want to steal?

His eyes flickered down to his violin. It was really the only item of any value he owned and musical instruments were not exactly hot on the black market these days. Trying not to visibly shiver Julian watched the man in his apartment. He tried not to think of the fact that he'd probably end up dead anyhow. God, wouldn't that be ironic? Survive a near-fatal car crash to be murdered in an attempted mugging a few years later. His poor parents.
Stranger 11 years ago
Mathew's smile didn't dim, it was always entertaining when they fought back or at least protested. This one apparently wanted to look brave. Too bad he didn't sound at all brave.

He stalked a little closer, still out of the man's reach but with a bit of menace, just enough to be threatening. Granted he was running an errand for Asa but that didn't mean he couldn't have some fun. It might be entertaining to see if this guy would wet himself.

The quick glance to the violin was followed and Mathew filed that away. It was another option here, maybe he should start small.

"Generally when some one has broken into your place and is making demands... you compile. Let us try this again or something might get broken."

Clearing his throat and then very clearly enunciating his very simple directions Mathew gave curly another chance.

"Have a seat. We need to have a talk."
Julian wasn't stupid; he realized he was standing here unharmed as yet. For some reason this guy wanted to talk. This wasn't your average robbery. He wasn't a meek little maid either, though, in spite of his reluctance to break a nail over this. He glared at the intruder into his home.

"No, generally when someone breaks into my home I call the cops. I'll stand. You want to talk, you can talk all night and then get out."

He fixed his gaze on the man in his living room. He was terrified but he didn't want to let that show. Bad enough his voice was hardly bold and brave. What the fuck did this guy want, though?

He hadn't pulled a weapon of any sort - he was just standing there making threats. Julian wasn't exactly a brawler but he'd throw down if he had to.
Stranger 11 years ago
That little bit of back bone just pissed Mathew off. He shoved the other man hard toward the nearest chair, sofa, whatever, it didn't matter. Having done that he snatched up the violin case, it was something of value and if nothing else Mathew would enjoy breaking it for the shock value.

"I am not asking for a God damned cup of tea. I just want you to sit.”

Asa had been quite clear that the man wasn't to be killed. He didn't say not to harm him, but that had been implied. Mathew, however, was willing to risk it.

"You've been keeping some odd company and they are teaching you bad habits.”

Waiting a second to see what the man was going to do, sit, stand, or make a lunge for the phone Mathew decided he had to make a move. For all he knew this guy had a cell in his pocket and had already dialed 911.

"Your girlfriend is in a bit of hot water. You might be able to get both of you out, that or I just toss you in the pot and start in on her.”

Still not his favorite idea, but he'd lay good money on Valentine putting up a hell of a fight.
Julian hardly saw the man move; he was that ridiculously fast. He felt the shove in his shoulder as the man practically threw him sideways away from the wall his back was against. Stumbling, his left leg hardly qualifying him for ballet practice, Julian caught himself on the edge of the tiny table he used for meals. He whirled around, about to say something, do something, whatever, and realized the guy had his violin case. He was holding it up, as if prepared to smash it on something.

Julian shut his mouth and dropped into a chair, glaring.

"What company?" he snapped. "I play in the symphony."

But the man went on and mentioned his girlfriend was in trouble. Julian crossed his arms over his chest and glared harder.

"Now I know you're high," he said. "Does this look like the apartment of a guy who gets laid a lot? I don't have a girlfriend. I don't know who you're after but you have the wrong metrosexual symphony violinist."

Okay, that part was a lie. Julian actually got plenty of action. Just not always from the same woman. Or even women. He was single and he enjoyed that. His apartment reflected his status as a single male pretty well, he thought. Any decorative touches were a result of his trying to make it homey and cozy but it was still a bachelor's studio apartment. Table, bed, chairs, kitchen, living room, all crammed into one tiny little space. There was a gaming console and a large collection of DVDs to attest to the fact that there was no permanent or even regular female presence here.

Unless he looked in the bathroom - Julian was a little more fastidious than the average male. He supposed his bathroom might look and smell kind of... well, girly.
Stranger 11 years ago
"Yeah, right all long hairs are saints.”

Granted the term was a bit outdated but it was one of those that had stuck in Mathew's mind. He also didn't give a damned if this kid got it or not. The sarcasm was the important part and that would be understood even if he had spoken Swahili or something. At least the kid was sitting.

Rolling his eyes Mathew sneered.

"Curly I know how much action you get. You are not a monk.”

What he knew was how often he and Valentine seemed to slip off to a hotel together and how many women hung around the stage door. He did not have details, but that should be enough to rattle just about anyone. If you could make them feel like they were being watched, people tended to get a bit paranoid, they wondered what exactly you did know and would often either trap themselves in a lie or spill the information you wanted.

"And I know your girl.” Who incidentally wasn't a saint either. "We just want to know what the old man told her. Once we've got that we go away and that makes everyone happy wouldn't you agree?””

He waited patiently fidgeting with the closures on the case. Part of him actually did wonder what a concert violin looked like, if it was any different from that old thing that Asa was always toting around.
Julian smirked. "I never said I was a monk. But I don't have a girlfriend and I don't know who you're talking about. Now get the fuck out."

He stood up from his chair, aware that the guy was playing with the clasps on his violin case. Julian would far rather be hit than have his violin broken. He did have two others but that was his best one. Fortunately, it had cost enough that he also took out an insurance policy on it; most professional musicians did.

"Watching you leave would make me very happy. And if I knew the information you wanted I'd tell you just to get you out of my hair so I can go have a shower and watch Project Runway. But I don't, so unless you want to watch the team season with me over a bowl of popcorn, go away."

He was gaining confidence now. The guy hadn't done anything but mouth off. Julian wished he weren't standing between him and his coat; his cell phone was in the pocket. He didn't know how else to get this guy to leave. He didn't own a gun or a weapon of any kind. He was less worried about being killed now though. If he could just make Bozo the Clown here realize he had the wrong guy, everyone could go their own way in peace.
Stranger 11 years ago
OK that was it. Asa be damned just asking apparently didn't get you anywhere. That and somehow the suggestion of watching that poof show where all the designers when prancing around just really rubbed Mathew the wrong way. He hauled off and smacked curly across the face with his own violin case. Not as hard as he could, he was that careful, but hard enough to knock some sense into the kid. The second blow was enough to knock him to the ground.

"Language, Curly, language.”

Apparently that had gotten through to the 'metrosexual (what a stupid word) violin player'. It took a second but the guy did stand up, he even fought back, got a good shot in on Mathew's jaw. It was unexpected and had some power to it snapping his head back. Oddly enough, this made Mathew quite happy. He didn't want this to be over in one go. A solid kick to the knee and another good shoved forced the man back into his chair. That done Mathew laced his fingers in between Curly's, bending both fingers and wrist back far enough that it hurt but not so hard or far that they would break, not yet. Besides, he was a traditionalist and would much prefer to break a knee or leg than a hand. You broke people's hands and they couldn't pay out back, or do you a favor.

"Are we starting to communicate here? You're not protecting her, I've seen you out together she holds her liquor better than you.”

He was close enough now that Curly could probably smell his mouth wash. While it wasn't like his teeth were going to rot and fall out brushing and flossing was just good hygiene regardless of immortality.

"Just tell me what the old man said, what he gave her. That's all. If you don't know... find out. I wouldn't mind giving you a little time. But unless I get an answer I'm going to take it out of you... or her.”

Let the love bird try and protect the little woman. It was a stupid but all too common trait in people.

"Possibly both of you.”
Julian saw stars when the man in his apartment hauled back and hit him across the face with his violin case. In case once wasn't enough he did it again. Julian stumbled, fell, and jumped back up, swinging a fist. It connected solidly, but in retrospect Julian thought maybe he should have just curled up and covered his head. Note for next time.

He suffered some not-inconsiderable panic as the man kicked him in the knee, the one that already had all the scarring. Then he found himself shoved back into his chair, his wrist and fingers wrenched painfully back. He could feel blood trickling through his hair and down his face. He was all too familiar with the sensation and just the thought of it was making him woozy. Or was that the blow to the head?

Grimacing, he blinked up at the man, trying to memorize the details of his face while it was so conveniently close. Then he blinked.

"Hold her liquor? Are you talking about Val?"

Then he stared again.
"Val isn't my girlfriend," he said flatly. "We just know each other. She's hot, she's single enough, we get along. But she isn't my girlfriend and I have no clue who the old man is or what he gave her."

The request to find out made him snort dryly.
"Oh sure. I'll give her the message. I have no say in what she does with it though."

Protect Val? Julian couldn't even protect himself. He was going to go straight to the Police Department after this and then give Val a call. She was in danger; she needed to know someone was after her. And then maybe he'd go visit his folks for a little while more. He needed to make himself unavailable for more smacking around.
Stranger 11 years ago
It was a very good thing that he was old enough that being around free flowing blood didn't affect him, Mathew could remember when that hadn't been the case, because head wounds tended to be messy. Oh this wasn't the worst that he had seen but it was noticeable. It would probably make a mess of Curly's hair. Even if it was the sort of thing that bothered him Mathew wouldn't be snacking on this one. not under these circumstances, he'd have to be pretty hard up before he bit this one.

"Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.”

Finally some cooperation! You really couldn't ask anything nicely you always had to put some force behind it, Mathew thought to himself. It was rather a shame in some ways. In other ways though it did make his jobs more challenging.

And then all the cooperation went away. Mathew rolled his eyes.

"Technicalities.”

Irritated by the lack of information, by Curly's lack of help, and just because he could and he was rather inclined to abuse people when he could, it did make encounters with him memorable, with a bit of leverage on the back of the chair, brute strength and thanks to a lot of practice he dislocated the other man's shoulder.

"If I were you, I'd find out about the old man and then persuade her to be helpful or we're going to have a lot of fun. I'll give you some time to think about it.”

He -should- have gone after the hands or the knee he knew he should have but Asa would have had a fit about the hands and shoulders healed more quickly than knees.

"In the meantime... I'll let myself out.”

He didn't bother to say anything stupid about not calling the cops or 'don't tell anyone about this' people never listened to that and it sounded cliché. As he opened the door and left Mathew did call back over his shoulder.

"Enjoy your program.”

Of course all this mean he was going to have to avoid the Long Bar for a while. Maybe next time he should wear a mask. Mathew shrugged that thought off, closed the door behind him and effortlessly blended into his surroundings.

((OOC... out.))
Julian knew that the guy was still speaking but after he did something to his arm, with a popping sound accompanying it that made Julian suspect it was out of joint, he didn't have any clue what the man had said. The pain was so great, fields of white agony blinding him, that all he heard through it was a drone.

He saw the man leave.

An hour, a minute, a day later, he didn't know, he managed to lift his head. He could feel the sluggish drip of blood still leaking from his scalp. It was sticky on his face, uncomfortable in his ear. His knee was swollen, his wrist and fingers painful, but it was all overshadowed by his shoulder.

Limping heavily, close to falling over, he managed to get himself to his coat. Rummaging in the pocket he retrieved his phone. He scrolled down and hit a button.

"Hey... hello? Jan, it's Julian. 'M sorry to bother you. I really need some help. Do you think you can get to my place?"

Thank God for friends. Julian had tons of acquaintances in Nachton but for genuine friends, he thought Jan was the closest thing. Val, Val was becoming one but after what had happened tonight she wasn't the right person to call. And she wasn't exactly a friend yet.

Jan was there incredibly fast. That or Julian just wasn't aware of how much time had passed. He didn't move from his position slumped against the wall of his tiny studio. The room was spinning. Everything hurt. He was supposed to tell Val... something. And he was really pissed off about the whole night.

Before Jan took him to the hospital Julian insisted that he open the violin case and check it over; Julian wouldn't leave without that reassurance. He breathed a sigh of relief when Jan showed him it was just fine. The case had done its work. Whether it was Jan's presence or the fact that the violin was unharmed Julian felt his panic ease.

The rest of the night was a blur. As soon as they reached the ER Julian was admitted. Surprisingly fast... no three-hour wait in the waiting room. They had an IV in his hand in a hurry and he was soon enveloped in a blessed fog of morphine. He had asked Jan not to let the doctor call his family; they didn't need to know about this and Julian wasn't a minor, so it was his call entirely.

He hadn't expected Jan to remain but he did, and Julian was grateful for his company. Julian held up awfully well under pressure - generally did, since his car accident. But although it didn't necessarily show, he was rattled by the night's events. Evgeni's arrival later was surprising but very welcome, too. Between the two the fear he felt had subsided and with the drugs on board he felt an almost surreal sense of calm.

Julian didn't tell them what had happened, exactly. He didn't really know what he did tell them, but he was pretty sure it wasn't the truth. He did remember saying repeatedly, that he had to talk to Val. After that, though, they anesthetized him to do an external reduction on his shoulder and Julian didn't wake until shortly before morning.

((ooc: Out - permission for Jan's actions granted, and permission for various subtle abilities to be used also granted.))