Waltzing in a winter wonderland (Attn:Ran)

Akahana surveyed the ballroom floor with a practiced eye. Normally these events were littered with a sea of black and only the occasional red of those most daring but tonight was a Christmas event and so red was the colour of choice for most of the women on the floor. There was also some green and plenty of dazzling white.

That was, in part, why her own dress was a deep plum satin with a subtle blue sheen to the threading. The vintage look of it started with the sweet heart bust that was gathered along the bodice with a line of small sparkling silver jewels. The dress hugged her very slender hips and then swept outward into a graceful flow of fabric that swirled gracefully around her ankles and trailed after her more faithfully than the most loyal canine. The back fabric was delicately gathered by a beautiful diamond shaped silver clasp in the back that hung just below her bottom. It helped to add weight to the fabric and its subtle beauty added a little surprise to the otherwise adornment free dress. Akahana preferred simple elegance and she loved the little detail that added a bit of flirty charm and that called attention to her movements from behind without screaming for everyone's attention.

She would admit that the other reason for her choice of dress had been her companion. When they had met earlier for the briefing Akahana thought it best to pick a colour that would suit her companion's choice of hair and attire; though both were more subdued than the first time she had encountered him.

Turning her gaze toward Ran, her golden eyes were covered by purple hued contacts that mixed with her own colour to achieve a unique shade of hazel.
"Shall we mingle?"

Akahana reached out a hand for him and then smiled down at the crowd. "Poor souls, they won't know what hit them."

Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran had been delighted to discover his partner and date was none other than the beautiful woman who had smiled at him last night, coming out of the Night meeting. Akahana, her name was, and both her name and her manner so far had been great fun. She seemed genuinely pleased to be here unless she was a fantastic actress, which in their Order or even amongst their kind, she could very well be.

She was splendidly gowned in deep plum, the color a wonderful counter to Ran's tux, which was a classic cut black. Ran being Ran, however, could not go without some bit of flair somewhere. So his tux had a deep indigo stripe to it, matching the dark purple vest and tie. His hair, he had dyed black with deep iridescent indigo tips. Instead of styling it too outlandishly he'd restrained it into a somewhat mellower spiky style that was still unusual, but didn't call immediate attention to itself from across the room. He had foregone his usual paint and/or jewelry but his pierced ears and nose couldn't really be hidden. They looked worse, in his opinion, without their accents. So he had a small discreet ring in his nose and two muted, matte-black spools in his ears. His contacts tonight were a very normal shade of dark brown, completely hiding the natural light color of his eyes. He might still stand out from the crowd some but for him, he was downright restrained.

He had seen Mara and Elder Jin here somewhere but they hadn't acknowledged each other of course. They were here to chat up the delegates from the little island of clanless vampires the Elder had told them about. They had names and pictures so they should be able to spot them easily enough - if they could find them. The crowd was vast.

Ran smiled down at Akahana and took her hand, bowing over it in a courtly manner.
"Let's," he agreed when she mentioned mingling. Then he gave her a cheeky grin at her next comment. "Not if we do it right."

Ran enjoyed engagements like these. Mingling, chatting, dancing, being sociable, these were all things he enjoyed naturally anyway. His ability to go unseen might also come in handy. His appearance as something of a rebel might help too. If these delegates were looking to sway vampires in Nachton to their cause, Ran could easily become an infiltrator. Many found his appearance and attitude to be somewhat at odds with the general view of Anantya as a bunch of stodgy old traditionals.
Akahana Yoshida 11 years ago
Akahana curtsied and smiled back at her partner for the evening. They descended the stairs and joined the crowd of people down on the floor. Many were mingling on the outer edges but in the middle some were dancing. From the corner of her eye she caught sight of her brother and his lovely partner twirl past on the dance floor.

Her eyes swept the crowd, she smiled and nodded at those who met her gaze. Looking for their targets, Hana filled Ran in on the local who's who.
"The red head looking serious and speaking to the dark haired woman is Morrigan of the Rose. Over there on the dance floor near your sister is Nachton's Mayor. He is dancing with the curator of The Arch. The young punk kid slouched against the wall with a glass of wine, looking like he's about to be bored to death is the leader of Tacharan's son."

Akahana considered the rest of the group as they wove amongst the crowd.
"The two tall gentlemen talking over drinks in the back are Evenhet." She frowned slightly trying to remember more about the short woman standing next to the white haired man. "She's with him but I do not know more about her." No doubt Jin knew who she was. Someone in the Night would have been responsible with finding out everything they could about her, down to her coffee preference, while she was important to the Evenhet Elder of Nachton.
"The man there is the owner of the hotel." Akahana picked up a glass of champagne from the tray of a passing server.

So far she had not found their prey. It was possible that they were not here yet. That seemed unlikely if mingling was their goal. They would likely have been here early and would stay fairly late. Unless there was only one person they had wanted to meet here. It was possible that the clanless of Nachton were becoming more organized than anyone knew and one player stood out amongst the crowd.

"Would you like to dance, find the buffet table or mingle?"
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran's eyes followed around the room as Akahana pointed various notables out to him. His mind matched faces with names; he had, of course, done his homework before coming to Nachton. He knew the names of the Elders, of the people he should know, although Akahana was supplying him with others he hadn't heard of. The Tacharan leader's son, for example, and the short woman next to the Nachton Elder of Evenhet. He committed the faces to memory and figured he would ask Amir or Mara about them later. He supposed he should ask Jin, but he didn't want to presume. Just because he was Amir's and Mara's partner didn't mean he wasn't still Ran's Elder.

He also looked for the delegates from the clanless. Their intelligence had provided them with what they needed but it wouldn't tell them where to look. Ran chose a drink from the same tray as Akahana and sipped at it idly.

"Well, mingling may not move us where we want to go fast enough," Ran said in a low voice to Akahana, keeping a cheerful smile on his face. "How about a dance, for the time being? We can swirl our way all over the floor and hopefully bump into someone interesting."

Ran might not be as graceful on his feet as Mara was but he was of the Order of the Night... one didn't practice diplomacy or any kind of infiltration, really, for five hundred years without learning how to dance. There was a time when it had been necessity. The dances had changed somewhat, but not to the point that Ran didn't recognize them. He wouldn't embarrass any partner of his.

He set his glass aside on an empty table; no doubt a waiter would come along and pick it up even though it was still mostly full, but he wasn't about to attempt to dance with it in his hand. He offered his arm to Akahana with a smile.

"May I have this dance?"
Akahana agreed with his reasons for dancing. She would admit to herself that she was looking forward to the prospect of waltzing around the dance floor a few times.

Smiling, she favored Ran with a tiny curtsey. She drank the rest of her champagne with a small tip of the glass, grinning at him from behind it. Then she let him lead her to the dance floor. They were three couples away from her brother and his sister who were looking elegant and graceful beyond the power of mere mortals. Hana secretly hoped that Ran wasn't expecting her to be that agile. She had plenty of practice and her own natural carriage was beyond mortal reproach. However when around her brother and her mother, Akahana often felt very much like a slow moving clutz.

They did look very well matched, both in appearance, height and skill. Together they quickly became one of the better couples dancing on the floor. It was a Viennese Waltz so, proper form had them facing away from each other as they circled the perimeter of the ballroom. Akahana used that to her advantage, scanning the crowd as they swirled by, knowing that Ran was doing much the same thing.

"I think I see them. Over near the column in the corner of the room." They danced on past and there was no way to get a second look until they danced around again.

"They appeared to be talking to a Hawaiian man that I have seen before." Akahana struggled to place where she had met the large man before and then it dawned on her. It was so out of place for the party that she had not immediately recognized the man. "He's The Manor's cook, if I am not mistaken."

She looked at Ran and gave him the tiniest little shrug. Another pass allowed them both a second look at the two men. One looked very much like the cook that they were speaking to; though not quite as large and imposing. Both men were dressed in a tux though each wore a lei with red and white flowers, their green leaves still attached to add a more Christmas flair. The second man was tall and thin. He looked Caucasian at first glance but if you looked closer, or had a handy photo or two, the man with the light brown hair had a hint of Asian ancestry around his eyes, despite them being a very sharp green.

The song was almost over which left them stopping not far from their intended targets.
"He could be a problem." Akahana muttered softly. They might not want to engage their targets in conversation while the cook was around to identify them as Anantya. He might not recognize either one of them, especially not Ran, but then again he might.
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran had thought it would be difficult to appear graceful with Jin and Mara dancing not too far away, but Akahana certainly was up to the task. He kept up with her, if not as flowy then at least at ease with the steps. He might have to see if Mara would update him a little bit. Especially if he was going to have to do this more often. He had thought dancing was a thing of the past but apparently it was still something he should practice a little more at.

When Akahana pointed out the delegates Ran managed to get a good look at them the next time they spun around the floor. He had no idea who the Manor cook was, having only been in Nachton for 24 hours, but it became very obvious when he recognized the two others from their pictures.

Ran let his gaze drift over them and onto the people next to them and around them, never lingering too long on any one although hhis attention was on the delegates. When the song ended and he and Akahana were close to them, he shrugged his shoulders.

"We can't really get in close with him there," he said. Then he amended, "Well, you can't, I'm assuming. I've never met this cook and I don't have any reason to believe he'd know me either. I doubt he'll stick with them all night, though. Let's dance again."

The next dance was a foxtrot, something easier than a viennese waltz in Ran's opinion. They could work on strategy while they danced.

Jin's move to put Ran on this mission was a smart one, Ran thought. Not only did he have knowledge of the language involved but he was so new to Nachton he didn't think anyone could possibly connect him with Anantya so soon. Amir's vampires were not in the habit of widely publicizing their affiliations and, brash and outspoken as he may be, Ran was one of Amir's.

"If they stay together," Ran said, "I can always go introduce myself. But I doubt they will, don't you? If they're trying to feel people out and make contacts they're going to want to mingle. If we wait long enough they'll come to us."

Ran wrinkled his nose in distaste at that; patience wasn't his forte but he could employ it when he needed to. He was willing to go with whatever strategy Akahana liked.
Akahana nodded and gave Ran a tiny shrug. "I do not know whether he has ever noticed me. I simply have seen him in passing while he was in the kitchen." She did not think it was a risk they wanted to take when patience would likely be enough to ensure neither of them were suspected as being Anantya. "Better to be sure though."

She and Ran joined the next song, keeping an occasional eye on their targets. They appeared to be having an amusing conversation. The Manor cook seemed to be quite the story teller.

Turning to her partner, she smiled.
"So what brings you to this wonderful city? Or am I not allowed to ask?" Some of their kind were very private, especially some of their Order. Ran might seem very outgoing but appearances can be deceiving; she had learned a long time ago how to while away hours talking and entertaining without speaking much of herself.

The reason for the cook of Anantya to be dressed in a tuxedo and wandering around at a fancy gathering soon became apparent. The Elder of the Hunt, her enigmatic Creator, entered the room and headed straight for him. She appeared to give the two men he was with little or no notice, instead, Mai placed her tiny hand on the big man's arm and said something softly. He nodded eagerly; a look of complete adoration on his friendly features.

It all became clear to her now. Mai had mentioned, with some puzzlement, that she had been having problems when she attended events or wandered in populated areas. People kept asking her where her parents were. She had informed Akahana that the honest answer of 'buried in Japan' seemed to create more problems than it caused. Mai had already knocked one policeman unconscious when he tried to force her into his vehicle earlier in the year. After it had been explained that she appeared to be a child in this modern age instead of an adult; Mai decided that perhaps she could solve the situation. So apparently her solution was to make the cook her familiar; at least that was Akahana's guess. She was somewhat amused by the fact that people would leave her Creator alone because of her large 'guardian' but it was the tiny blind girl that they should be frightened of.

However, not everyone was completely unaware of Mai. The two men that the cook had been talking to had used the man's lack of focus to quickly disperse without so much as a 'see you later' by the looks of it.

Her laughter was so soft that only Ran would have been able to hear it.
"Well that took care of our problem." However they were currently in the middle of a dance. It was probably best to finish it and then move toward one or the other of their targets. They did exactly as Ran suggested they would and split up. The Polynesian headed toward the buffet and the other took a drink and wandered through the crowd, a predatory searching look on his sharp features.

((OOC: I have been wanting to make him Mai's familiar since the snowball fight and the hot cocoa. I thought it would be cute since he thought she was awesome already and he's so big and potentially dangerous. Though in my mind he looks very friendly. Anyway, that was the reason for the randomness of the cook being at such a function. ))
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
As they danced they made small talk. Akahana asked him why he had come to Nachton. As far as Ran knew, that wasn't any secret really. Not from a Clanmate who belonged to the same Order as he.

"I came back because my Creator suggested I should spend some time in the mother-country," he said with a wry grin. "Something about being too remote for too long and losing my already questionable social graces and charm."

That pretty much summed up Amir's request. Although, Ran reflected, he had been a good deal more blunt than that. And his opinion of Ran's charm seemed to be rather definitive and not at all questionable. Hmph. Like Amir had written the etiquette textbook himself.

"That would be Amir Rashid... my Creator," Ran explained. He shrugged, grinned, and led through the next sequence of steps. "I'm not in the habit of ignoring him. Er, much. Not for the big things anyway."

Because he loved Amir. Loved getting under his skin, loved working with him, and loved it when he received a sharp comment but caught a glimmer of a smile as Amir turned away. Amir had opened doors for him that he never would have had a chance to explore otherwise, and had pulled his ass out of more fires than Ran could count. If nothing else, that alone had earned him Ran's loyalty.

He followed Akahana's gaze to the big cook and saw the Elder of the Hunt join him, then heard her soft laugh. He'd probably have vacated, too, if Elder Mai had joined him while he was busy trying to recruit dissenters. She was very distinctive... of course they would recognize her. They were in her city, after all.

"Quite neatly," he agreed with his date for the evening. "So now... do we divide and conquer, or is there strength in numbers?"

He watched the Polynesian man but turned away before that individual could catch him at it.
"I think perhaps we should stay together. It would draw attention to us if we split up and both happened to chat with the very fellows who are here to cause long-term problems. What do you think?"

The music was coming to a close and Ran eyed the buffet.
"Besides, some of that food does look pretty good."

Ran's Creator might not partake often, but Ran loved food. Why not? Eternal youth, retarded metabolism... that condition just begged a person to eat everything deep-fried, cream-filled, and chocolate-drenched in sight. And if there was such fare available while he worked, all the better.
Akahana raised her eyebrows and laughed at the reason Ran gave for coming to Nachton. "Truly. Well, you seem to have made back to civilization in time to save your manners and your charm. I can vouch for you if it will help.” She smiled and then asked a further question. "And what barbarous place were you in that might cause you to be out of practice in your social skills?” There were not many places that were 'uncivilized' left, even by Europe's standards.

Ran explained that Amir was his Creator, a fact that she gathered when Jin had told her that she would be going on this mission with Mara's brother. He mentioned something vague about being careful of Ran's greetings but she didn't find his introduction to her to be odd at all. Jin had hinted that there was more of a story there. She hoped to get it out of him later.

"My Creator is the one with the cook.” Akahana lifted her eyes toward Mai, a soft smile on her lips. She turned back to Ran. "I am not in the habit of ignoring her either. It would be...unwise.” Not that she would ever ignore anything Mai said or wanted. As Creators went, her's was not very demanding in her every day life. Mai did not tell her who to see, how to live, what career path to follow; she taught her to survive and she expected her to be well practiced in those skills whatever else she did was her business. Mai was caring, after her own fashion and Hana wouldn't trade Creators with anyone. Her tiny mother had been more of a mother to her than her own and for far longer.

When the two men split up, Ran suggested they both approach one of them. Akahana nodded, agreeing with his reasoning. They would look odd if they wandered off in two directions and went straight to their targets. "I think we should see what there is to eat then.”

They made their way off the dance floor and toward the buffet table. It would be more accurate to call it a feast table because it was weighted down with all manner of fine food. Interspersed between the consumables were ice sculptures in whimsical shapes to go along with the wintery theme of evening. Everything was served on silver trays and in silver bowls; many things were frosted, sugared and iced. The table could easily have come right out of the White Witch's palace.

She took a small plate and handed another to Ran. Akahana then wandered away from the polynesian man, picking a thing or two here and there before coming back around to stand next to him while she looked for her next item. "They seem to have included everything.”

As she had hoped, he smiled and agreed with her. "Yes, I was surprised to see the roast pig, coconut shrimp and the butter mochi but I met with one of the caterers recently and he said that he tried to add many different traditional dishes.” He turned to her. "Do you see some of your own here?”

Looking over the long table, she gestured toward the sponge cake with strawberries and cream. "We do not celebrate Christmas as much in Japan but cake like this is popular.” Turning to Ran, she smiled. "What about you? Anything remind you of home?” They were not yet learning the secrets of the man but that took time, first they would learn what he liked to eat.
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran grinned at Akahana and gave her a little bow. "Well thank you. And I may take you up on that." He might actually need her to vouch for his social skills. Depended on what prank he played on his Creator next. "I've been all over, really. Given my thing with languages, I'm usually in remote areas, various Islands, smaller countries. This time I happened to be in Tokyo but I had only just gotten there after a stint in Indonesia and, before that, in the Maldives where I'm actually from."

Was there a great deal of vampire activity there? Not particularly; it was sporadic. But Ran's job was also to keep current on languages - all of them. And his home country had, literally hundreds of dialects. It also had a very small population of werewolves Ran had been checking in on now and then. Fortunately they didn't seem interested in moving anywhere or, really, increasing their numbers. The island they lived on could only support so many.

"Aha," Ran said, when Akahana identified herself as one of Mai's children. Interesting, that made her Elder Jin's sister. He was working with the sister of the Elder on his first assignment here in Nachton? Was that a bad thing (we don't trust you yet, here, hang out with Akahana) or a good thing (we trust you, here, work with Akahana)?

"No, I don't imagine ignoring her would be your best move," he agreed with her. Possibly less wise than ignoring Amir. He didn't know the Hunt Elder's temper.

They made their way to the buffet table and Ran accepted his tiny plate with a smile and a word of thanks.
"Hmm," he said, looking at the man who conversed with them so amiably, "I would imagine my home is not so different from yours."

Ran's appearance usually got him labeled as partially Asian, Polynesian, Samoan, almost anything but Dhivehi. He did not look particularly Indian, like many of his relatives, nor did he appear European like his father was supposed to have been. He pointed out a dish of scallops, then some mussels. Helping himself to a little of each he said,
"This reminds me of home."

Also there was mahi mahi wrapped in banana leaves and baked, giving it a light fragrance that was tempting. Ran took some of that too.
"We had seafood every day. Fresh, straight from the sea."

He looked up at the delegate with a smile.
"My parents sent me here to the states for school. Linguistics. I haven't left, obviously."

He raised his eyebrows at the delegate.
"Where exactly are you from, if you don't mind my asking?"
Mai_NPC 11 years ago
The idle chitchat at the table was fine for passing the time. Aulani didn't pay it much mind until he looked up at the woman who spoke to him. She might be one of the ones they were looking for. It was hard to tell when they had so little to go on. Her companion was not Persian but then he had heard they had at least a small group and no one really knew how large The Deserter's forces really were.

It was worth checking out. Everyone here was.

He nodded about the cake that she mentioned and Christmas not really being a very big holiday in Japan. It wasn't big for his people either. Her companion mentioned the fresh seafood and said that he was from somewhere likely not far from his home. Aulani gave him a closer inspection but couldn't place where he could possibly be from.

"I am from Tuvalu. Have you heard of it?” He wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't. It was quite small and very far away from Nachton.

Interested to see whether they had more in common than simply a taste for seafood, Aulani picked his words carefully but continued to feign casual conversation.
"It is good to see traditions being respected in this day and age.” He gestured toward the variety of food they had been discussing. "I remember a time when tradition was of great importance. That doesn't seem to be the case in this modern age.” He looked barely out of his mid twenties and therefore the statement might seem odd if they were human but then he was from a different culture so perhaps they would simply assume that change was coming rapidly for his people. Either way, his statement wouldn't reveal himself to a human as anything more than nostalgia but it served to set the stage for more important conversation if the ones he spoke to could remember more than a few decades back themselves.

((OOC: Sorry brother's birthday yesterday and I wanted to have both him and Akahana post. ))
Akahana regarded Ran's choices with interest. Seafood was quite the staple in Japan as well but not always as fresh further inland. She still had high standards for anything from the sea, something about living on an island tended to make seafood snobs out of many. Sushi, of which there was a great variety here, was something that had to be done right. She eyed a few of the platters carefully as she listened to Ran's easy lie about being a student in Nachton.

Picking up a umeshisomaki roll, Akahana hoped for the best and then placed it in her mouth. She already spied a glass of something to wash it down with in case the results were less than pleasant. Chewing carefully, her eyebrows raised in delighted surprise. She finished the small treat and smiled.
"That was very good.”

Ran had asked where the man was from and she debated whether or not she should feign ignorance when he answered. Deciding that knowledge would serve her better, she nodded. "Yes, small but rich in culture.” It was the diplomatic thing to say after all and a country could be great despite its size. Japan proved that often enough, in her opinion.

He then started mentioning traditions. Akahana found another piece of sushi and stuffed it into her mouth. It gave her a way to give her answer some careful thought. So, with a mouth full of rice and salmon, she nodded in agreement and looked to Ran, mischief brewing just beneath the surface. The nosy fox was curious what he had to say in response to that obvious quest for their identity and what he might also say about time honored traditions. No matter the answer, it was likely to illustrative of his character in some way.
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran, fortunately, had studied Polynesian languages. And you couldn't very well learn languages without knowing where the native speakers were from. In this case he'd been curious enough about the island nation after his briefing to refresh his knowledge of it, but he had already been aware of it given that he himself was from a very small nation based on a bunch of grouped atolls.

"I have heard of it," Ran said. "Beautiful country."

Switching back to English he shrugged a little.
"Tradition has its place," he said. "You can't live in tradition though. You need to move with the times, keep a modern outlook, or the world will leave you behind."

Ran gave the answer he thought was true. Honesty sometimes was the best policy. He didn't think a group of dissenters were going to put their faith in someone who held steadfastly to Anantya's fundamental beliefs. They would be looking for someone who was dissatisfied, someone who wanted change, someone revolutionary.

He, however, personally believed that you could belong to a Clan with traditional values and look forward at the same time. All things in moderation - a funny motto coming from Ran but as far as his Clan was concerned that was his thought.

The Polynesian's words had made him sound like he was much older than he looked. Were Ran not a vampire he wouldn't have really thought anything of the man's word choice but as it was, he simply smiled and asked,
"Do you think we are all best served by clinging to bygone days?"

He glanced at Akahana, including her in the question. It was innocent enough but if he weren't wearing contacts it would probably be easy to see a little impish gleam in his eyes.

((ooc: Blue is Tuvaluan. It isn't his best language and his pronunciation might be imperfect but all the grammar and syntax should be correct.))
Mai_NPC 11 years ago
He was impressed. Aulani raised his eyebrows and smiled at the stranger. "Thank you for the kind words.” He responded back in his own language before switching back to English in difference to the other person in their conversation. Perhaps she also spoke Tuvaluan but that seemed unlikely; one person was a rare find. Even the Hawaiian he had met earlier did not speak it and he was a closer neighbor than many.

His word fishing expedition seemed to have paid off. Aulani smiled at the man, who had included his partner with a pointed look while speaking of being left behind if they did not keep a modern perspective on things. It was no sure sign that the people he was with shared immortality with him but it was a good beginning.

"You do make a good point. I do not wish my people to be left behind...or swallowed whole by the larger, more 'established' groups out there.” He didn't say countries and he didn't say Anantya. Aulani thought he was now playing a very dangerous game and perhaps moving too fast. However what could they really call him on? And if they knew that he was clanless then it wouldn't matter anyway; unless they were the same. "However, there is a difference between abandoning all of our past and dwelling solely in it.”

Aulani turned to the woman and smiled serenely. "And what are your thoughts on the matter?” Was she as forward thinking as her partner?
Akahana smiled at Ran and chewed her sushi slowly. She figured there might be truth to his words but he was of their Order and they often had the most independent thinkers of the bunch. Not that the other two couldn't have their odd members, certainly there had been many an anti-social huntsman, but they still tended to be staunchly loyal despite their lack of social grace. The Order of the Night seemed to her the Order most likely to encourage its people to think more freely and to occasionally bend the rules. In the spy game those changed all the time anyway.

She was put on the spot but there had been plenty of time to think of at least half a dozen answers.
"I am Japanese but I am a woman.” Akahana smiled demurely. "I believe tradition has its place and some of it should be honored but if it doesn't serve to make society better then perhaps it is best left in the past.” She personally didn't want to return to the days where women were seen as property and a husband could kill his wife if he considered her lazy or simply bad in some way. Of course she saw that mostly from the outside as Geisha were different entirely from an honest wife. Still they were not free to go where they pleased, have a voice in their government and many of the things that men considered basic rights for many centuries. Confucius might have been wise about some things but he didn't do women any favors and neither did Buddhism early on, saying that it was not possible for women to find salvation.

Ah, how even religion could change. She was always amused when something 'divinely' inspired morphed over the years. No doubt Jesus would be quite surprised with much it. For instance, being born now on a pagan holiday and sharing that birthday with a fur suited old guy who didn't know how to use a door and left gifts in socks.

Placing a few more things onto her plate, Akahana smiled at the two men and gestured toward one of the tables.
"Shall we sit and talk while we finish our food?”

She picked a glass of red wine, glancing at the bottle in the middle of the tray to be sure this was what she wanted. Most everything was sushi on her plate but there was a large mix of different tastes in the small rolls. The one thing most of them had in common was the nori. Because of the crispy ocean taste of the seaweed and the spicy wasabi the soft fruity pinot noir was the best choice in her opinion, making a nice mellow counter point to the intense flavors of the sushi.

Akahana moved through the tables, offering a smile here and there and sparing some thought for the back of her dress as she moved through the jungle of people and chairs. Reaching the place she had indicated, she took a seat toward the middle, inviting Ran to sit beside her and their new 'friend' as well.

"Much better." She smiled at them both and glanced around at the sea of people moving here and there in front of them. The other target was over near but not quite close to the Evenhet Elders. Her brother and his lovely partner were on the other side of the room conversing with Mai and her 'guardian'. She noted where the Elder of the Rose was in the sweep of her gaze as well but she never let it pause too long in any one place for the now.

((OOC: Perhaps mead goes with sushi. We should ask Eiryk. ))
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Snagging a new glass of champagne from a passing waiter Ran raised it to his new acquaintance. "You're on my wavelength," he said with a smile. "I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the matter. Such as how you plan for your people to avoid being swallowed whole. Such a very small group must have a hard time being independent; I know the feeling. My own home is very small."

Whether or not this man was acting properly on it, his philosophy was sound. If Ran hadn't been who he was, he probably would rebel against Anantya simply for the fact that he hated rules and order and regulations. However, Amir had brought him into it with the understanding that he would be loyal and faithful and follow all of the rules and Ran in return got a new family, some security, and safety while he learned about his new life. That loyalty, instilled in him from the night of his turning, was something he wouldn't ever be rid of. Nor did he want to. Much as he loved to be the rebel, he loved his Clan more. He made himself a distinct individual within the Clan and that was good enough for him.

Ran nodded to Akahana when she suggested they sit down and continue their discussion.
"After you," he said, following her to her chosen spot.

He pulled her chair out for her after setting his glass down and then slid it in. Then he took his own seat and leaned over the table.
"My name is Neil, by the way," he said. "This is one hell of a party. Do they do this often?"

Whether their friend believed it was his real name or not, Ran could always explain later. Many of their kind changed names frequently. Akahana would surely expect it too. However, he wasn't sure if she would be using her own name or not so he simply raised his eyebrows at her and waited for her to introduce herself.

In the meantime he helped himself to a seared scallop with something incredibly spicy on it. It was delicious.
Mai_NPC 11 years ago
Aulani smiled and inwardly wondered how much the man's statements were true. He was perhaps more traditional himself, if given a choice. Unfortunately it was not an Anantya who had given him the gift of immortality.

Retrieving a glass of the same wine that the woman had picked up, he followed the pair to the table. She certainly seemed like who they were supposed to be looking for, confident and outgoing, but he did not know who her partner was. They were told to look for a Persian and while he still wasn't sure what nationality her companion was, Aulani was pretty certain the man wasn't Persian.

Once she was seated, he took the seat that she had gestured to with a nod to them both. Aulani then continued the conversation.
"Our hope is that our size will help us escape notice from those much larger. We are hardly worth the effort..." He smiled and then continued. "Of course no one wishes to remain hardly worth the effort. We hope to gain alliances of others like us. Only together could we possibly hope to brave those much larger."

He took a bite of fish and chewed thoughtfully.
"By trade alliances and other peaceful arrangements of course." Aulani looked over at the young man. "And where is it you are from, Neil?"

When they both offered their names, he breathed an inward sigh of relief. They had found her! The one they were hoping to meet and she was with someone new. Perhaps this young man represented another alliance they could make. Surely she was here gathering people and resources the same as they. Aulani gripped the table to steady himself; his insides were doing nervous flip flops and excited twirls. He needed to remain calm and casual.

Extending a hand to each, he said.
"I am Aulani. It is a pleasure to meet you both." Neil looked around the ballroom and appeared impressed by all the splendor. He wondered if that was feigned or genuine. "Every year, I would imagine."
Akahana smiled and Ran and gave his arm a little squeeze of thanks for the polite gesture. The conversation had been interesting, more straight forward than some but still proceeding without risk from the man. She could hardly expect him to reveal his biggest secrets after a few words spoken over a buffet table but the direction they were headed in was promising.

Ran asked exactly how their small island nation, or clanless group, planned to keep from going under in their quest for moving forward into the modern times. Bold question but Ran hadn't struck her as timid.

The man answered with a strategy laid out in broad simple terms. The answer was of course the best way to survive as a small nation. She smiled.
"Just be careful what alliances you make." She took a sip of wine and then added. "Sometimes they get you bombed and your army taken away." Japan's fate would not likely be theirs. Anantya was far more ruthless than America. They would wipe out all of the clanless vampires on his island as soon as they were deemed a threat worth exterminating. If any survived then it would be pure luck or extreme skill, either way there would be no fostering of clanless orphans, not for those that had anything to do with the plans mentioned here. She doubted the Hunt would pause long enough to do an interview on each one. "Were you an innocent little vampire or were you conspiring to form your own clan to work against the interests of Anantya? Speak up, quit whimpering! Damn that is the second one who has wet himself tonight!" No, she suspected a clean and thorough sweep and that was how it should be. Anantya stayed the power that it was because it took out those who would oppose it. Evenhet and Tacharan were mistakes, threatening their domain.

Ran introduced himself as Neil. Akahana did not look his way, feigning instead uninterested knowledge in his name already. After finishing another piece of sushi, she smiled and answered with the name she used for Mahesh.
"I am Hanae." Mahesh knew her as Hana, but when she made contacts for him she used the name Hanae and a different last name entirely.

"With different themes, so I am told." She supplied when they mentioned the yearly ball. "I believe I heard that last year's was something about a fireside festival. There were small braziers brought in for each table and large fireplace was set up against one wall from what I heard." She smiled. "These days the big events are trying very hard to stay politically correct." And therefore the themes have been less Christmas and more winter. She had heard that one or two of the people invited were refusing to come because the planning committee had taken Christ out of their event. Akahana thought someone should point out that Christ had never been a part of their events. It didn't matter; the crowded room made it obvious that very few people were upset by the theme choice.
Ran Iyala 11 years ago
Ran nodded agreeably as Aulani outlined his 'country's' objectives, as if he sympathized with everything that was said... and in reality, he sort of did. Only, he was part of a much larger thing. Ran didn't harbor a hatred for clanless vampires, really, but he did think overall that their kind would be better off if they could band together as one unit. That wasn't for everyone, though, and he knew that. So while he couldn't hold it against them, he also couldn't support them.

Aulani asked where he was from.
"The Maldives, originally," he said, "but my family moved all over the place. I don't remember very much about the islands. I was only there in my childhood. I've done a good deal of traveling since."

Ran didn't have any trouble telling stories; he never had. Over the centuries he'd been many things, and language student was not an unfamiliar role to him. Until Aulani confessed more to him or asked for a confession from him, Ran was exactly that.

Akahana became Hanae, which didn't surprise him. They commonly worked under other names. They were of the Order of the Night; it was their job to be everywhere and everyone. He speared a shrimp on his fork and ate it; where the scallops were spicy the shrimp was very sweet, glazed with something like spiced honey.

When Akahana mentioned the gala becoming more and more politically correct, Ran chuckled.
"As well they should," he said, "if we are to grow more and more tolerant of minorities, they'd have to."

He shrugged good-naturedly. They were all in the minority here, whether because they were vampires or because they were Clanless (or pretending to be). His statement had several meanings, depending on how you looked at it.

"It's a nice set-up either way," he said.

He hadn't had any time to get to know Nachton yet, as new to it as he was. This was an interesting way to be introduced to the city. He was impressed with the display here, with the different people he was seeing, and the number of people actually attending. The city definitely had a thriving population. And a tasty one.
Mai_NPC 11 years ago
They weren't neighbors exactly but certainly compatriots of a sort. Aulani nodded solemnly at Neil; the other man understood what it meant to be from a small island in the big world. Of course it sounded as though he did not spend very long on the island...at least if you believed he was twenty something.

Taking a sip of his drink, he spoke evenly.
"I think we all must leave our islands at some point." Aulani sighed. "It seemed like the whole universe when I was younger. I eventually traveled to Japan." He turned and nodded to Hanae. "And then I went to Europe for a while...to see what all the fuss was about."

The talk moved on to the ballroom and the holiday event that they were attending, which happened every year as it was pointed out. Hanae then mentioned the last year's theme, which along with this one was something that had little or nothing to do with Christmas. He was not sure whether he had an opinion on the matter one way or another.

For the Christians it could be viewed as a loss of their religious traditions which were important; however they had been pushing those traditions on the entire world for centuries now. Neil said much the same thing only more nicely.

"Tolerance is something that most groups are forced to learn. It is simply that the Christians" Or Anantya " have been the largest religious power for quite some time and no one is likely to threaten their dominance any time soon." He knew they did not intend to threaten Anantya's or any other clan. They were simply wanting to survive and grow like any other people. He shrugged, not concerned about whether the Christians learned to live with others or not. Anantya on the other hand, that was something he was deeply concerned about.

"It is very elegant; I agree."
Akahana thought it interesting that her brother chose two islanders to talk to these people. She supposed both of them made sense, after a fashion. Japan was not incredibly far away but not so close as to appear an oddly fortunate coincidence. She suspected if there was a mainlander who knew the Tuvaluan language then Jin might have chosen that person. However Ran was one of the few people who spoke it, aside from the agent that was working locally and perhaps her mother. Mai had a gift with languages; it was odd because some night she chose not to speak at all. She was also not Order of the Night. Akahana envisioned one of them implying that Anantya was not correct in their vigilance against the clanless coming together and Mai beheading him right in the middle of the ballroom. Definitely not the right vampire for this particular job.

Aulani's words suggested that he spent at least a mortal life amongst his own people, perhaps longer and then began to travel after that. That was her guess because he did not appear very old to have spent a long time living an isolated island life and then traveling. Besides, was anything really isolated anymore with the internet available just about everywhere.
"True, Japan did seem like everything there was for a long time." And that statement made it clear that she was not from these last few decades because Japan was very connected to the world wide web.

She looked around the ballroom, still keeping an eye on Aulani's companion and the other people of interest as they moved around the room, and gave a small one shouldered shrug on the reasons behind the theme and those who might take offense at it.
"Whatever the reason, I think it is very pretty."