Ran Iyala - Anantya Nightsman

Basic Information

Birth Name (Name Guidelines): Madu Hi-yi
Aliases: Ran, Ran Maaru, Dhooni, Neel Kanth, Neil Canth. Kudzu, to Amir.
Place of Birth: Maldives
Age: (real and apparent) (see the age breakdown for vampires here, see the real/apparent age calculator for werewolves here): About 500? Appears 23-26ish. Exact date of birth unknown.
Male/Female: Male
Current Occupation: Translator, interpreter, computer programmer.
Past Occupation: (If different from above) Hunter, tracker, spy, interpreter, guide.

Appearance

Hair Color: Striated shades of bright blue and indigo reminiscent of his shapeshifted form. When undyed, it is actually dark strawberry blond
Length and Style: Long, dredlocks when Created. Currently, short at the back and long on top, often spiked up in parts, left over one eye, very alternative/goth/punk/emo, depends on his mood. It is -never- conservative.
Eye Color: Gold, usually covered up with contacts (see below)
Skin Color: Dark golden
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 165
Nationality: Dhivehi (Maldivian) and British (we think)
Race: (I.E. Vampire, Werewolf, human etc.) Vampire
Body Type: Strong, reasonably muscular.
Wolf Form (Werewolf - please read first):

Description (if an NPC) or name of your creator/gifter(if a PC) ( Please be as specific as possible, who your creator/gifter was, why he chose to change you, where is he/she now?): Amir Rashid (see bio), currently in Nachton, chose to turn Ran after a long association where Ran acted as guide and interpreter.

Personal Questions

1. Describe your character's personality: Ran is cheerful, energetic, and sometimes slightly too much so. He enjoys meeting people, seeing new places, trying anything new. He definitely marches to the beat of his very own special drum. He doesn't really seem to care what anyone thinks about him, although beneath his buoyant exterior he can actually be somewhat sensitive.

2. Describe how your character would appear to a stranger (I.E. typical dress, way they carry themselves etc.): Bubbly. Effervescent. Sometimes a little too loud, not usually the quiet one in a conversation. He has very little regard for conventional clothing and will dress as he likes, generally as in-your-face as possible and as unusual as possible. Ran's appearance is a mix of ancestries. He doesn't look particularly Dhivehi. Most people's best guesses place him in the Samoas or someplace similar.

3.What does your character like? Being social, being adventurous, thrill-seeking, heights, learning new things. He doesn't necessarily enjoy pain but he doesn't dislike it - he will willingly submit to painful procedures just to experience the sensation.

4. Dislike? Rules, laws, paperwork, red tape. Snakes, salted herring. Religious zealotry, organized religion in general. Republicans. Alta vista babel fish.

5. (For humans) Describe what abilities you see your character having if they were turned.

6. What are your fears? (please choose and explain 3 minimum)

Snakes - Ran was bitten twice by yellow-bellies (While human. Now, I bite them). He obviously survived both experiences but he did not enjoy being helpless, in pain, and afraid of death. Snakes make him nervous now and he will avoid them (It's not avoidance, it's selective non-confrontationalism).

Claustrophobic
- Since his turning, Ran has had a fear of tight spaces. He can certainly get into them but once inside he cannot be relied upon to keep a level head. It has been necessary to do this many times throughout the course of his life and work, and he almost always requires the services of someone with Command to be able to accomplish it.

Becoming jaded - Ran has enjoyed life fully. He wants to continue doing so. He doesn't want to reach a point where he considers every night boring and can't find a reason to go on. He will throw himself into new hobbies, new adventures. He will volunteer for just about any mission and try almost anything at least once if not more (Hey, if I didn't like it the first time I should probably do it again just to make sure).

7. What is your character's strengths and weaknesses?
(please pick 3 minimum of each and explain in detail how and why this affects your character)

Strengths:

People-person - Ran is a social creature and has a good deal of charisma. He attracts people of all kinds; the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful. He gains trust easily.

Silver-tongue - Ran can talk his way out of just about any situation (in any language, no less), assuming he hasn't mouthed himself into it to begin with. Even then his odds of getting back out are pretty decent. He can usually coax and cajole information out of people and he can also soothe upset people fairly well.

Current - Because he loves to try anything new, Ran is almost always up to date on current fads, trends, sports, technology, just about anything. In a race of people who can sometimes lose touch with modern days, Ran is a great resource as he is quite often able to predict trends.

Weaknesses:

Rebellious - Ran has a profound dislike of rules and regulations. He understands them and will follow them to an extent but he has frequently broken laws and will probably continue to do so for fun, profit, or just because he can. He will absolutely get himself into trouble with the police and his mouth. Being who and what he is, he isn't afraid of doing so, but it certainly hasn't made him any friends.

Insecure
- Ran hides his insecurity beneath an almost overzealous exterior. He can handle being remonstrated for being too loud, too happy, but sometimes such things will cut deep. When his character is questioned or someone is genuinely angry with him it hurts. He has a desire to be liked and trusted, perhaps stemming from the fact that no one in the Maldives particularly seemed to like him (they liked me. They just didn't know how to handle me).

Unreliable
- Because of his fear of losing interest in life Ran has a tendency to jump into any passing fad or hobby that strikes his fancy. While he is very serious about his work and his job, he has on occasion been AWOL or MIA (Not for the important stuff, boss. When have I ever let you down there? But the little stuff - eh. I got bored and some kid had a motorized skateboard. I had to try it!).

Vampire -

Abilities (Listed here): Shapeshifter (Indian Roller), Puppet Master, Blending

Flaws (Listed here):
Large teeth, Sensitive

Werewolf -

Abilities - Listed here (Include Tier Points) -

Flaws - Listed here(Include Tier Points) -

Hobbies & Skills (for more information, read here)

Computer Programmer, various languages
Photography
Swimming and sailing
Martial arts - he was trained by Amir. He is more than competent in many forms.
Firearms
Astronomy
Acrobatics
Skydiving (you should try it without wings, it's hilarious)
Gardening - really.
Languages - a huge list. Ran is a linguist and has learned all the many dialects of his homeland, those of the Indian continent, most Asian languages and many dialects there too. After learning those he moved on toward Russia and the European languages. Italian, Greek, Latin, ancient Egyptian. Ran has learned almost every language he's ever come across to the fullest extent of his ability. He is excellent at mastering accents and dialects (but he is not a mimic; his talents are only language-related). He spends tons of money on Rosetta stone and is almost always learning a new language if he can find one.
In addition to spoken languages, he can read and write in many of them. He's still working on some.
Ran has also memorized many forms of code and is excellent at breaking them as well as creating them.
Ran speaks several forms of sign language including Auslan, ASL, PSL, and many uncommon unnamed systems.

Cosmetic Traits(Distinct, character defining physical attributes. These should be minor and offer no real power other than to make your character appear more interesting.): Ran has endless cosmetic traits. He likes to dye his hair bright, bold shades of blue to mimic his plumage in shapeshifted form. He has a pierced septum, two piercings in each ear (the bottom ones widened to about 1/2" with spools), and a piercing in his lower lip on the left side. His tongue is also pierced. All pre-turning. Post-turning he has experimented with piercing as well, and these may be in different locations depending on where he felt like piercing himself that week. He wears different colored contacts for entertainment, from muted colors to outrageous patterns, swirls, happy faces, whatever strikes his fancy.

Quirks and Habits worthy of mention
- Aside from the dyed hair, the random piercings, the unique clothing, etc, none worth mentioning here.

Personal History 3rd person (1st is acceptable) but please be as detailed as possible, this can/will affect your rp with other players.

Ran was born in the Maldives around and about the 16th century AD (because you know, after a hundred years or so who's counting?). His mother was a Dhivehi woman and his father was a British sailor, or so she told him. It may or may not have been true. Either way, the man was never in the picture. He left long before Ran was born; he never knew him. It was very obvious that Ran was not purely Dhivehi though, by his coloring.

Ran was a mischievous child and many on the islands were strict with him, since his father was not around. As a result he rebelled by being stubborn and difficult to control (Please - I was independent and precocious). Like any Dhivehi he married young, divorced frequently, and remarried quickly, leaving a trail of children along the way (Hardly a trail. More like a scattering).

A renaissance man at heart, Ran never learned to specialize in any one thing except, perhaps, languages. He learned how to talk himself out of just about any trouble in any dialect (Oh come on, there was no harm done. Really, the house looks much better without a roof and think of the breeze you'll have in the summer). When a pair of travelers came to the islands looking for a guide and a translator Ran's village practically shoved him at them (They simply recognized my talents and thought I would be more appreciated by them). With typical good-natured enthusiasm Ran played his part for Amir and his companion, Mara.

Ran thought his adventure with the two foreigners was more fun than anything. He didn't know what exactly they were trying to do and of course, at the time he had no idea what exactly they were. When all was said and done he offered to come with them on their travels and was declined (Not my fault they couldn't handle me).

Not one to take no for an answer, Ran managed to stow away on their boat. He was inevitably discovered, although his hiding spot had been effective enough that turning around would have lost much time (One for the kiddies - don't attempt to hide in a barrel of salted herring unless you really, really like herring). Although Amir threatened not only to eat him but also to - (let's see) - toss him overboard, make him swim back to the Maldives, tie him to the front end of the next shark, string him up on the mast like a flag, hold him under water until it stopped being funny (and he said it would probably be funny for a really long time), and a variety of other threats, some serious, and some just absurd, Mara interceded on Ran's behalf and he was allowed to come with them.

Under constant threat of death by Amir Ran managed to sweet-talk his way into a year's worth of adventures with the duo. By the end of the year he was fairly certain Amir's latest threat (I swear, Ran, if you cuckold one more husband I'm going to castrate you and wear your balls for earrings) was not entirely serious and that, in fact, the Arab might actually be fond of him (and I'm telling you now, if you leave one more durian under my bed I'm going to smother you with it).

When Ran found out what Amir and Mara really were, he wasn't entirely surprised. There were one or two gaps in his memory that he couldn't entirely explain (Hey, wait a minute. Did you just bite me?) and of course they were a little bit freaky about the sun (How the hell did you ever get a tan, either of you? You're like molerats. All squinty and weird when the sun comes up - ow, hey, stop that! I'm sensitive!). It was Amir who offered him the choice to become part of the best Clan in the universe (my words, not his) or to forget about what he knew (and that bastard could make it stick too) and go his merry way.

Not much of a choice, really. Ran became Amir's fifth vampire and second youngest (but really, the best one. Aside from Mara maybe, but they don't come much hotter than Mara. Stop looking at me like that, I've heard it for hundreds of years. Looky, no touchy. I got it, boss.) and a member of the Anantya Clan.

Ran found a place in the Order of the Night, an unlikely spy, not sneaky at all really (hey now, that hurts. My methods may be unorthodox but they work!) but good at making friends and acquaintances and somehow capable of inspiring trust and confidences. He has remained mostly in Asia but Amir has recently recalled him to Nachton (wither thou goest, and all that).

OOC Checklist

Player name (online is fine) - Bunny
Other Characters you play - Aishe, Kem, Ysabel, Tai, Xeph, Lily, Amir, Mara, Alexander, Rowan, Kiyoshi, Julian, Joshua.
How you came to SA (Other board, friend, etc) - Roz <3
Have you read all the Rules? Sometimes
Do you understand that this is an adult board with adult content (sometimes graphic and violent in nature)? Yes please.
This board is adult only. Are you over the age of 18? Yes, sadly.