Moving On (attn: Cris)

Rowan hit the 'end' button on his cell phone with a sigh. He was sitting at home, on the couch in the living room. It had been two nights since he'd woken up and actually stayed that way. Since Evgeni and Sorcha had left. He hadn't yet been able to sleep without Evgeni's assistance but Rowan could be patient. He understood it would take time, and he wasn't worried about his mental resilience. He'd been through hell. Literally. And emotionally, he was a strong person. He would get through it. Evgeni was gracious enough to continue to offer his services, and it seemed he gained something from it as well, so Rowan was fine with that arrangement.

There was more to it though. For months, now, Rowan had been considering leaving his job at the hospital. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy it, but it took up so much time. That had been fine before he'd met Cris. He'd thrown himself into work with fervor, and when he got out he played equally hard with whoever his companion was for the duration of his time off. Now he wanted to invest his time into something with a more lasting impact, this relationship that was so important.

He flipped his phone up and caught it with a bittersweet sort of smile. He'd just officially taken his personal time at the hospital. All of it. And, he had informed a saddened Lynn, he wouldn't be returning. She had been sorry to see him go, and he knew the feeling was genuine, but she understood. He suspected most of them would. More, if they had known everything that had led up to that point.

Standing, Rowan straightened his clothing out. He was wearing dark blue jeans, faded but without holes, or tears, over black shoes. He had on a dark purple button down shirt, not tucked in, and over that a charcoal-grey sweater with a loose knit, so flashes of purple showed through. Its long sleeves were pushed up to his elbows to reveal leather wristbands with flattened studs on each wrist. His usual assortment of hoops and studs graced his ears and nose. Freshly showered, shaved, and combed he felt truly awake. He reached over to the arm of the couch and picked up the manila folder he had there. Tucking it beneath his arm he headed out the door.

Rowan didn't have very far to go; just down the hall. The blinds in Cris's office weren't drawn and he could see his partner inside, bent over something on his desk, looking serious but not stressed out. He was handsome, his Cris, in his dark suit. Rowan wanted to put a smile on his face... and he hoped his news would do that. If not - well, there were other avenues to pursue. This was the one he wanted most though.

Rowan cleared his throat and then, sort of hiding the folder behind one leg, he knocked at Cris's door and then opened it, a smile on his face.

"Good evening, gorgeous. Do you have a few minutes?"

Christian Bern 11 years ago
Work was going better than expected the past few days. He had found that things had run smoothly without the need for his constant intervention. The largest problems he had handled personally but many things had not even made it to his desk. (He heard of them from Ume and other sources and was pleased to see that they were handled with precision and care by capable members of his team.)

The crisis with the serial killer and his absence to be more available for Rowan had earned several people promotions. Cris had a chance to see how they handled leadership and he was pleased with the results.

For himself the lighter work load was finally becoming beneficial. Now that Rowan was sleeping again he was fairly stress free. He was a happier boss which made for a happier team.

Cris looked up from his current intel on a problem in Egypt to find Rowan standing at his door. He immediately checked to see if something was wrong but his partner's aura appeared to be cheerful and happy. There was also colours that suggested hopefulness and nervousness that made Cris somewhat curious about the topic Rowan wanted to discuss.

"You are looking put together this evening. Have a date?” The fashion statement was Rowan but perhaps a toned down version. The uniqueness was inescapable but the fashion was less unapologetically in your face as some of his partner's other fashion choices. He loved that Rowan managed to keep his personality whether he was dressing up or down...or not at all.

That caused his mind to wander toward the promised reconsecration of the bedroom. Now that they had their apartment to themselves again Cris was determined that they do exactly that.

"Of course, Love. Everything okay?”
Rowan Murphy 11 years ago
"Not yet," Rowan said, grinning when Cris asked if he had a date. "I know this hot blond, though, and I thought maybe later he'd like to go out. After work, of course."

He came fully into Cris's office, shutting the door softly behind him, and crossed the space between there and the desk. Pulling out one of the green leather chairs he sat in it. It creaked loudly and he glanced down at it, and then raised an eyebrow at Cris. He remained sitting toward the edge of it, as it was a fairly shallow seat and someone like him with long legs couldn't really get comfortable on it. The thinker in him read into it; Cris never did anything without meaning to, and Rowan had the pleasure of living with him. Cris knew how to decorate. If this chair was uncomfortable, it was meant to be. The idea made his lips quirk up.

"Everything is wonderful," he said, shifting a little in the green chair and ignoring the resulting groan.

He looked down at the folder he held, then back up at Cris.

"I was given to understand that you haven't yet found anyone to fill the doctor's position here," Rowan said. He took a breath and let it out softly.

"I don't suppose you would accept my resume?"

He placed the manila folder on Cris's desk, the professional resume on its heavy formal paper tucked inside. Rowan didn't need to use empathy to gauge Cris's reaction. He trusted his partner. If Cris didn't want Rowan to fill the position, he would say so. Cris wouldn't jeopardize the workings of an entire Clan just to accommodate Rowan, nor would Rowan expect him to.

He watched Cris's face, though. Rowan had grown to know Cris's expressions, even the subtle ones, and he really hoped that Cris would want this as much as he did. There was such a thing as overload however. He didn't want to force himself on Cris but he wanted this so badly. He knew he'd be just as busy as before but he would be working close to Cris, with him in some cases.

"Either way, I just thought you should know that I've given my notice at the hospital. They don't expect me back."
Cris's lips quirked up at the corners as Rowan sat down with the expected loud protest from the leather chair. He could see his partner's quick inspection of it and the resulting conclusion that was evident in the small smile he received. Yes, he had picked uncomfortable chairs. They were great tools that allowed him to study the people who sat in them and their responses to nuisance. Not only that but the chairs did not invite people to linger and chat. It was amusing how many of his own people refused to sit while in his office. Alfarinn had a habit of using the side of his desk, avoiding the problem altogether.

Rowan assured him that everything was okay and then mentioned the physician's position that was available in The Towers. He then asked if Cris would consider his resume.

He regarded his companion for a long silent moment, taking in the careful appearance, the neat resume that now sat on his desk and the hopeful, nervous emotions that ran through his partner. Whatever prompted this choice, Rowan had at least thought it through. This was not a quick impulse based on the trauma that he had experienced. Cris did not doubt that the recent events were somehow involved in the decision but at least it was not a thoughtless reaction.

"Of course.” He steepled his hands together over his desk and leaned forward. "We would be lucky to have you but first I would like to know what prompted this decision.”

Cris smiled at Rowan and added. "I just want to know if you will enjoy it long term. It might continue to be long hours and there will probably be plenty of stress but it will be different than the hospital. Are you sure this is what you want?” Rowan had always appeared to enjoy his very busy, very necessary job at the hospital, taking more hours than seemed humanly possible and remaining cheerful and competent through all of them.

He did not want to say what he felt about the prospect without hearing Rowan's reasons for choosing to apply for the job. Inside he was jumping for joy and a part of him was already considering what it would be like to have Rowan working just across the hall. The thought was something so amazing that he was worried he was dreaming. Cris tried to reign the inner elation in until he had heard everything Rowan had to say.

Hearing that he had already given his notice at the hospital did cause him to raise his eyebrows. It would seem that Rowan was determined not to return there no matter what the outcome was of this visit.

"I wanted to offer it to you but I knew how much you loved your job. I did not want you to feel obligated to take it for my sake.” Cris watched Rowan as he spoke. "I also did not want to appear too possessive by suggesting a job that was right next door. So, please tell me that you had other reasons to choose this position.”
Rowan hadn't expected Cris to jump for joy and do a little dance or anything, so when Cris leaned forward and gazed levelly at him he smiled and gave some thought to formulating his answers to the questions his partner posed.

First, though, he chuckled and shook his head.
"And I didn't want to appear too clingy or smothering by asking."

It seemed they were both thinking of each other. Rowan was comforted to know that Cris actually wanted him to have the position. More than comforted; he was elated that Cris wanted him here. He'd have liked it if Cris had asked him, but however they reached that place was fine.

He expelled a relieved puff of air and addressed Cris's other questions.
"Yes. This is what I want." Cris could verify that his own way; Rowan knew his aura wouldn't lie.

"I've been thinking about it for a while. Maybe even since we had dinner with Alfarinn. I wanted to ask about it then but we were so new together for one thing. I didn't want to strain our relationship. And on top of that, the hospital needed me and I have a hard time saying no."

He chuckled.
"Historically that hasn't been the case, mind you. But I've done a little growing in the last few centuries."

Rowan shrugged his shoulders at Cris.
"I didn't make the decision lightly. The hospital can't afford to lose a full time doctor, but I have to make choices I think are right for me. And for us, now."

It would be foolish to deny that his relationship wasn't a large part of this decision, but it was still just a part. There had been other factors.
"I've never worked in a place where I can be myself before. Where my patients won't ask me to go over to the window and let some sunlight in. This will be new, and exciting, and I'm looking forward to it. To working for my Clan. For you."

He reached out and tapped his finger on the envelope that held his resume.
"But I have questions for you, too."

Rowan waited a moment and then continued.
"Why do you think I would fit this position? Aside from my being family. This isn't pediatrics."

He raised his eyebrows at Cris and then took another breath before speaking.
"Also... I know I'm going to have to treat your team members on occasion. I know you will respect my professional opinion and if I think someone shouldn't be out in the field, then you won't put them there."

Rowan reached out and wrapped his hands around Cris's.
"The same must go for you, love. I promise to leave my personal feelings aside and be as objective as possible if you're hurt but if I'm doing the doctoring and it's best to bench you for a fight or two... please let me."

He brushed his thumbs over Cris's knuckles.
"I hope that won't happen frequently. I've seen you hurt enough for a lifetime. But I would like to do this job, and do it well. I want to care for Evenhet. For you."

He'd said what he could. Rowan knew Cris might not be pleased with what he'd had to say regarding his own partner, but it had had to be said. Cris had proven his faith in Rowan and Rowan, hopefully, had shown Cris that he understood his partner's need to do his job. He felt they would be able to work together perfectly, but if someday Rowan needed to pull Cris out of a fight... well, he just hoped Cris wouldn't hold it against him forever. Evenhet was a stronger Clan with Cris in it, and taking this job meant that it would be Rowan's responsibility to ensure that everyone, including Cris, stayed as healthy as possible. Naturally, some risks were necessary, and Cris could not remain in a bubble. Rowan understood that perfectly, and wouldn't attempt to keep him in one. Cris would get battered and beaten on occasion; it was part of his job and he was resilient. But Rowan intended to watch over Cris as faithfully as he would Alfarinn, or Aishe, or Eiryk or Alex or anyone else they loved if he was given the honor to do so.
Rowan explained that he had been thinking of the position ever since their meeting with Alfarinn. Cris thought back and wondered if his friend had made any suggestions that he was unaware of. The Elder was a sneaky bastard but he did not expect that Alfarinn would make any serious suggestions of that nature without at least asking him first, even if he did know how much he wanted to offer Rowan the job.

His companion said he had questions and started by asking why he would be right for the position, in Cris's opinion. Opening the resume, which listed more than a human doctor could achieve in one lifetime, he gestured toward it. "You have done more than treat children, Rowan, but it is the fact that you can treat children and even enjoy it that I consider a great benefit to the position here.” He reached for his coffee and took a sip before explaining. "Not every doctor can put a child at ease or explain to them why they are sick or why it is so important that they take care with their injuries but you can. A doctor who is able and willing to take the time to work with a child is a doctor who is able to explain the much needed facts to all of his patients. You are versatile and that is necessary here. You will need to be a general practitioner, surgeon, pharmacist, vampire expert and occasionally a counselor...though actually we still have a psychiatrist on staff.” Cris leaned forward and smiled. "I have watched you work for days and have experienced your expertise myself. You are a first rate doctor, Rowan, and we would be lucky to have you.”

His partner went on to explain that he expected his professional opinion to be respected when it came to the health of his people. Cris was not sure if Rowan was worried that he would disregard his opinion because they were close or was suggesting that he knew that he wouldn't even though they were close. He suspected the later to be true. Cris raised his eyebrows at Rowan when he went on to say that he needed to listen to him when Rowan was saying the same thing about him. Cris couldn't help but smile and scratch his head, looking a little guilty. " I will consider your medical opinion very carefully but sometimes I will not heed it. I must be honest there. Sometimes my life is less important than the ones we are trying to save.... but I will try." He had been a military commander in more battles than people knew existed. Most of those were fought face to face with his opponents and rarely was there ever a time when he could simply not be there because he was injured, even if he had been injured severely. He was also a vampire and few things kept him down for long enough to be worried about. Most things of any severity were over before a doctor even had a chance to see him. On the whole, gunfights were not lengthy engagements.

He regarded his partner intently. "However, I will take your advice as often as I can. I will be honest and say that I am more likely to take your advice because I love you and I know that my continued health concerns you personally. I have not always made the best patient and occasionally I have recklessly risked my life for the sake of others. Now I have you to consider when I make such dangerous choices. I never want to leave you alone. I promise that any obstinacy is typical and has no bearing on how I feel about you as a doctor. I respect you as a professional very much. I can just be a stubborn ass.” He was being honest about what Rowan was getting himself into. Cris had not been the biggest fan of doctors in the past, finding them to be overly worried about body parts that would heal with time. It was especially hard to explain that concept to human doctors, even ones who knew what he was. He hoped that Rowan would be objective in his opinion and not try to keep him from his duty out of fear for his safety. So far that had not been the case and his partner had been willing to compromise even while worried about him. It did bode well for their working relationship and with Rowan around as the doctor who was reminding him that he was not superman that would work even better at keeping him from doing some of the things he had done in the past.

"As far as my people are concerned.” Cris shrugged. "I am far more willing to listen. I promise.” In fact, he was equally likely to sit someone out for something most doctors couldn't see. Rowan was an exception because he also had empathy but Cris had kept people out of work because of their emotional involvement in a mission despite relatively minor injuries. "I do not like putting people at risk, despite having to make that choice every day. If they are injured to the point that you think they are unable to continue then I can not imagine a time when I would order them to continue.” Some might want to continue despite their injuries. He might occasionally listen to their reasoning but Cris doubted that he would over ride the doctor's good sense. Perhaps there might be a time when something means so much to a person that he or she needs to be there more than they need to heal but he would discuss that with Rowan if and when such a time came.

He smiled at Rowan. "I will try to keep my dangereous dealings to a minimum. I feel better already knowing you will be around to take care of us all.”

Cris removed one hand from Rowan's and reached for his mug again. "Oh, by the way, I am a model patient compared to Alfarinn...just so you know what you are getting into.” He smiled over the rim, his eyes sparkling with mischief and cheerful good humor.
Rowan sat quietly, watching Cris as he spoke and listening to each word. He knew Cris would respect his professional opinion in regards to his personnel. Rowan was a doctor; it was his job to tell Cris, in situations like he had brought up, what he thought of someone's ability to carry out their job. It would be put into his or her record and filed away, but Cris was the one who had the unenviable task of deciding what to do with the information Rowan gave him.

Rowan, being a vampire, however, suspected he had a much better idea of how far their kind could push themselves before they were truly jeopardizing their lives than the average human doctor, even one who worked with vampires. He understood the need to push, and he didn't hold that against anyone in that position. His greatest fear was for Cris. He knew his partner could lose sight of his own safety when he felt there was a bigger prize at stake.

Sometimes Rowan suspected Cris forgot that Rowan had lived through the same turbulent times, though. Rowan had not been enlisted in the military or a soldier in any formal capacity, but his own past was littered with wars, battles, brawls, and the like. He knew how to fight. He knew how to heal. He knew when you had to push and when it was time to sit back for a few moments. He hoped in time his partner would realize that Rowan's experience there would be just as big a help. Rowan would not always be the one recommending he step out of a fight... he could very well be the one encouraging someone to get back in and do what needed to be done. Mostly, he wanted to be able to care for his family and to care for Cris.

Rowan was somewhat mollified to hear Cris compromise with him and promise to do what he could to limit his risk-taking. He couldn't hide the grimace when Cris mentioned leaving him alone and he tightened his hands on Cris's, looking down for a moment.

"I don't know if I could handle being alone again," he said softly before looking back up.

Rowan had tons of friends. Everywhere. But he had only ever had one Cris, and the idea of him being gone from his life was not one he wanted to dwell on. The depth of the tie he felt to Cris was deeper than any he'd ever experienced and, while he was an emotionally strong, resilient kind of person, Rowan wondered if he would really want to continue on without his partner. He wasn't sure if Cris would understand or appreciate that line of thinking, though, so he kept it to himself.

Chuckling at the notion that Alfarinn was a worse patient Rowan shrugged.
"Do you think your boyfriend is weak-willed or a pushover? I keep telling you, love, I'm no saint. If he's my patient, he'd damn well better recover. Take his medicine... or whatever horrible remedy I can think of for grousing patients. I hear shock therapy is making a comeback."

He released Cris's hand, the one remaining in his grasp, and put his own back in his lap.

"So does this mean, then, that you don't mind my working here?"

He suspected they would work out just fine together, professionally. Rowan wasn't terribly worried there. There would probably be very few times when their worlds collided in a way that might put them at odds and even when that happened Rowan thought they had already proven capable of reaching a good solution for everyone. Time would tell, really, but this opportunity was one Rowan wanted very badly.
"Hopefully you will not ever be, if you do not want to be.” Cris smiled as reassuringly as he could given their conversation. His job was a dangerous one but he had been doing it a long time. Most people considered him very careful and calculated; his risks were generally taken with the same precision. When Alfarinn was involved that sometimes was not possible but he did try to convince his friend not to always fly, or fight, by the seat of his pants.

"No, Love. I have plenty of experience with your willpower. More than most, I think.” Cris smiled as pleasant memories of certain battles of stamina came immediately to mind. "And pushing you over requires more alcohol than I can drink.”

He laughed at the idea of shock therapy and horrible concoctions as a cure for an ailing elder. "I would keep those plans to yourself until after you have the job.”

Cris stood up and came around the desk to stand in front of Rowan. "I would very much love it if you were working here.” He smiled and reached for both of his partner's hands. "Just let me inform the powers that be and make sure we have their blessing.” Because of their relationship, Cris wanted to be absolutely certain that both Kem and Alfarinn approved of Rowan taking the job as The Towers doctor. It was possible that they might be worried about something that he was not objectively thinking about. He got a quick response from both of them approving the decision, with some teasing from Kem about nepotism.

"Your application has been approved. So when can you start?” Cris pulled Rowan to his feet and hugged him close. [And you know this means we have to go out and celebrate later.]

((OOC: The gist of Kem's cheeky response with Kem's permission. ))
Cris's affirmation was music to Rowan's ears. He didn't think he could ever hear 'forever' enough. He blessed the day he'd landed in Cris's bedroom, drunk and dazed. How often could you say that?

When his partner laughed, a beautiful sound in and of itself, Rowan joined in with him.
"Oh those were just the tip of the iceberg," he said, rolling his eyes upward innocently.

With Cris's hands in his, Rowan waited for Cris to confirm this appointment with their Elders. It was quickly done... awfully handy ability to have, sending. Cris pulled him up and hugged him and Rowan happily wrapped his arms around Cris.

A surprising but not entirely unexpected voice entered his head. [Welcome to the team, Doctor Murphy. Took you long enough.]

Rowan leaned down and kissed Cris gently while he responded to Kem. [Thank you, sir. I'm very happy.]

[Ugh. Not with the 'sir' please.]

[Got it, boss.]

[May you be cursed with a thousand raccoons. Trust me, it's an awful thing to wish on someone. Have a good night, Rowan.]

[You too. Thanks again.]

To his partner, he smiled. [I can start yesterday... and I was hoping there was a hot blond in my future. Where would you like to go, love? I can make whatever arrangements need to be made while you finish up your night.]

There were still several hours left for Cris to work, and although Rowan was free now, obviously, he didn't expect Cris to cut his shift short. He'd missed plenty of work on Rowan's behalf lately, although Rowan did plan to ask him to miss a little more.

He tightened his arms around his partner and said,
"Do you think, love, you might be willing to take a real vacation with me soon? Maybe before I get too deep into it? I will admit getting away for a little while might do me some good. Us, even."

Leaning back a little to regard his lover, Rowan chuckled softly.
"And how long were you planning to keep that position vacant, incidentally?"

He didn't know if that was what Cris had been doing intentionally, but it seemed to him that if they'd really needed a doctor they could have found one. It warmed him that Cris might have wanted him here for so long, long enough to wait.

((ooc: Kem in blue))
Cris smiled as Rowan agreed to the idea of celebrating and said that he could start working as of yesterday. He even suggested that he could make their plans for the evening while he continued to work.

[You know, Starbuck, if you wanted a bigger house you could have just asked for one.] Cris laughed at Alfarinn's sending and squeezed Rowan a little tighter. [Tell him that he is welcome to do what it likes with it. Part of the perks of the always on call job....You did tell him he is always on call, right?]

"Alfarinn would like to inform you that your residence is next door to mine and that you are welcome to do what ever you like with it.” Cris pointed a finger into the center of Rowan's chest. "Except move out. That is not allowed...some security regulation I will conveniently make up if necessary.”

Rowan asked him about taking a real vacation some time soon. It was something that he had been thinking about since the problem with the serial killer had begun. As soon as it was over he had wanted to take Rowan away for a little while, unfortunately his partner began having trouble sleeping. That might have been fixed in some remote location but he had preferred to wait until they could both truly benefit from some time fully to themselves.

"Just now on the job and already asking for vacation.” Cris grinned. "I would love to go on a trip with you.”

Rowan asked him how long he had intended to keep the job listing open. Cris replaced the grin with a poker face and looked up at his partner. "Until the right person decided he wanted it.”

((OOC: The other elder also in blue ))
"I thought my residence was with you," Rowan said, and then chuckled as Cris stipulated that Rowan was not allowed to move out due to some obscure condition. "Fortunately, I never plan on leaving you either, dear one. We can figure out what to do with this residence later."

Move his remaining boxes into it, maybe. He still hadn't unpacked half of them. Why bother, when everything he wanted or needed was with Cris? Rowan wasn't terribly materialistic. Oh, he had keepsakes and things he wanted to hang onto, but they weren't imperative. He had memories and journals.

When Cris agreed to go away with him Rowan beamed, lifted his partner off his feet, and kissed him soundly before putting him back down. He was so happy he could dance. Sure, this job wasn't going to be a cake-walk, but no doctor's job really ever was. A trip away would be good for both of them and they could come back refreshed and energized (or, more likely, exhausted, sore, and thoroughly satiated in pretty much every way possible), ready to attack life with renewed vigor.

Cris's poker face only made him laugh more.
"You're cute when you do that," he warned. "Sexy cute. But still cute." He reluctantly released Cris and headed to the door. He had plenty of time to plan their evening out; he could head to the clinic now and introduce himself to the staff, get to know the layout better. He was eager to jump in.

"I'll see you at home in a couple of hours, love."

Still smiling, Rowan headed out of Cris's office and down the hallway toward his own new office.

((ooc: Both out))