Still not you

Jake stood at the bottom of the steps that led up to the hidden brownstone. He had given Cait back her key, but that didn't mean he hadn't made a copy. Bottom line - he was cheap and didn't want to pay rent in this god forsaken city. He took the steps slowly, satisfied that no one was watching the place anymore.

He had spent the past few nights with the bartender from Shades. Apparently her bitchy attitude was reserved for patrons, not for men she took home with her. She was quite agreeable once they made it her bedroom, but neither one of them were interested beyond that. At least, that's what he gathered when she asked him if he planned on crashing at her place again or if he needed cab money to go home. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Why he was even staying in the city was beyond him. There was no reason to stay. There was Caitlinn, but he didn't want her to be the reason why he did stay. There was probably work in town, or he could at least muster up something to tide him over, but money really wasn't an issue. There was what he had stashed away and odd jobs and contacts in the city still. All of that was put on the back burner so he could adjust to the sudden freedom that had been thrown at him.

Then there was Cait.

Jake didn't like things between them, rather he just didn't understand why it bothered him so much. It was making him want to drink to forget. Slowly taking the steps up to the second floor, he shook his key out and unlocked the front door, letting himself into the apartment.

"What are you doing here?"

Jake pulled the key out of the lock and looked toward the direction of the voice in the living room. "Don't you live with a pack of wolves now, Cait?"

Great. Just...great.

Caitlinn Conrad 11 years ago
Things were already spiraling out of control. Charlie had given her freedom back, pulling the Pipers when not at DI, but she half suspected Lewis was keeping an eye on her. She made it a point to ask Lewis directly if he was watching her.

"No?" Lewis had replied, his shoulder scrunching up and his face pinched into a grimace.

She asked for her privacy and he promised he'd give it.

JT hovered around her at DI, but he kept his distance socially. That was unexpected. She wasn't sure if he was taking her request personally or if Charlie hadn't ripped his ass asunder. Probably a little both. She had successfully managed to isolate herself, again, and even Charlie gave her a wide berth for a couple days. That was until earlier that afternoon at DI.

Charlie made it a point not to look directly at people. He said it was the residual emotional effect from people, but mostly because everyone at DI was either a vampire or obviously affilated with Simon and his crew. He trusted no one. So imagine Cait's surprise when she saw Charlie speaking to Lisa Crawford, the tight sweater bitch with the angry crush. The move seemed calculated, not on her part, but his. Lisa approached Charlie with an absurd reason to speak to him, again, and Charlie not only faced her, but did the impossible. He smiled gently at Lisa, looking her in the eye.

Cait almost threw up before leaving the lab. She wondered if the broken nose Cait had given Lisa would deter Charlie from looking at her again. Oh what was the bitch going to do, get her arrested? She was lucky Cait didn't stomp her fake tits into saline mush.

Why did she come to the brownstone? Cait rolled her eyes and laid her back on the couch. Staring up at the ceiling, she realized this place held maybe the barest hint of her old life, even though she had never stayed there. Her paranoia had prevented her from coming here. It was never safe - safe was running, not staying. Even her back was to the door which would have been ridiculous a year ago.

Sighing heavily, she let the full force of her pain consume her. What resulted was a little less climatic than one might have expect. Cait let out a long, full raspberry and snorted. Chuckling softly, she wondered what the weather was like in New Zealand when the door unlocked and opened.

Jake's scent pushed with the swing of the door. It was odd how her life had adjusted to Charlie's, noticing the smell of everything around her, particularly from people. It was something she never quite noticed before, not consciously at least. Charlie had taught her how to concentrate and separate the multitude of aromas and how to trust her instincts with them.

Jake smelled like that musky, heady aroma all men had. He didn't wear cologne, but she recognized the deorderant. Reminded her of Marko, actually. His wool sweater, black of course, and blue jeans smelled clean. The one scent that stood out the most was the female one that clung to him - Burberry. Cait tried to recall where she had smelled that particular scent and it hit her immediately. The bartender.

She questioned him in a monotone voice and he replied, his tone not so even, but with inflections of irritation. He dropped his backpack on the dining room table and let the door swing shut loudly. Cait turned back to face the far wall where Charlie had thrown Jake. There was no funny retort or even a rude reply. She merely lifted her shoulders a fraction and remained quiet.
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
"Where's your dog? I didn't see him tied up out front on a fire hydrant."

Yeah this wasn't starting off well. If that didn't sound like the jealous scorned ex, he wasn't sure what would. Well, he wasn't her ex, but...oh whatever, he was tired trying to figure it out. Cait didn't reply anyway, she just looked forward and seemed upset.

"Wait a minute, are you here because you're fighting with your fiance?"

Cait's head hung forward and she let out a long breath before standing. Circling the couch, she walked right up to him and let her shoulders slump. "I liked you before you were a jealous prick, Jake. Unemployment isn't good for you. Makes you an asshole." All this was said with the same monotone voice. Reaching out, she put her hand on the door knob and opened the door.

Jake immediately put his hand out and used his fingertips to shut it again. "I'm not jealous."

"So I'm dead on about everything else," she said again in her unimpressed tone.

"Oh I get it," he said -the realization of why she might be there dawning on him. "You're not seriously here in hopes of burning off some steam and maybe getting back at Hammond." And by getting back, he meant the obvious.

"Are you kidding me? Have you seen the other Pipers? If I was going to fuck someone, I'd go for someone taller. You don't even meet my minimum height."

Jake blinked and glared at her. "Technically, 5'8 is average US height."

Cait squinted her eyes and gave him a wry grin as she leaned against the door. "I just want to disappear. This hanging around, laying down roots shit is not for me."

"I'm your friend, Cait, despite what's happened. If you need me to fuck you," he winced and then shuddered. "I don't know, I suppose I could help." He rolled his eyes at her, making Cait give him a disgusted look.

He was tempted to touch her - just a simple, reassuring hand on the shoulder. Something two heterosexual men could do to show solidarity and comraderie, but that wasn't them. Instead, Jake turned away and walked further into the kitchen, peeking into the fridge.

"Are you sleeping with that bartender?"

The fridge was still being stocked, thank god, and he pulled out a soda and looked at it before answering. "Was sleeping with. That ship has sailed." He put the soda back and pulled at the crisper drawer, looking at the vegetables inside. "Not jealous, are you?" he asked in a bland voice without looking at her.

"Again, height minimum."

Straightening, he closed the fridge without selecting anything and then leaned back against it. "Your werewolf thinks I'm obsessed with you."

Cait raised her eyebrows and gave him a barely noticeable nod.

"You know I'm not, right? He just doesn't understand us."

"At this point, I don't understand 'us'," she said, air quoting the last word.

"We're not like that. We've never even considered that." He paused. "Right?"

"I haven't, no."

Jake gave the idea a moment and then added almost absentmindedly, "Yeah, me neither."
Cait let her eyes unfocused, actually giving the idea some thought. They had been alone so many times with the opportunity for anything and everything, but not once did she ever get that feeling from Jake. Not once did she even consider him a viable sexual partner.

And no, she never once felt anything remotely close to what she felt for Charlie.

"Do you remember when we first met? Not just how we met, but vividly remember what you thought of me?"

"Yes," he said without hesitation. "I thought you were too skittish and would wash out within the first week."

"My paranoia has served me well, thank you." She bristled and glared at him. "You never told me that, though."

"Wasn't my job to. I wasn't there to be your friend. If you got cut early, no muss, no fuss." He chuckled and added, "I honestly didn't think you'd learn how to handle a gun."

"I learned," she said with a grin.

Jake lifted his sweater and checked his left ribcage, pulling at the skin. "That crap your wolves put in me faded it a little, but the through-and-through scar is still there."

Cait walked up to him and peered down at the scar. It was faint and bluish, but still there. "That wasn't my fault."

He lowered his shirt and crossed his arms. "Yeah," he mumbled with a grin. "How's your run time?"

"Better."

"Still doing it every day?"

"Ten miles, yeah."

Jake nodded and they stood in the kitchen quietly. "Are you happy?"

Now that was a strange question and one Cait was fairly certain he had never asked her before. Ever.
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
"Happy with Charlie? Happy with my run time? Happy I'm trapped in this god forsaken city, working for the employer I was spying on?"

"Trapped? You've never had more freedom."

Randolph was funny that way. They paid extremely well, but you traded your life for money you'd never be able to enjoy. Vacations? Time off? You worked your area and did your job, and maybe in rare instances did you get to live your life, but for Cait and Jake - they had nothing but each other. She had no friends, no real hobbies, no family. Jake cut himself off completely from his old life, concentrated on training his team, and together they were each other's only friend. Maybe that's why they didn't confuse everything with sex or attraction. They knew the moment the other became special, Randolph would use that person to get a little bit more of your soul.

Now she had someone who loved her. Friends who cared about her. A place in this world that didn't involve any type of vetting or clearance. Jake could come and go as he pleased, talk to whomever he wanted, and felt a longing for Cait he never knew was there.

"I traded one all consuming company of killers for another."

Jake looked down at the floor and knew he'd regret what he was about to say. So of course he said it anyway. "We could disappear."

Cait flicked her dark, brown eyes up at Jake and held his stare. Again, never something she'd do before and it made him look away.

"Disappear? Together?" she asked.

"Yeah."

Cait tilted her head to the side and gave him an appraising look. "Because that doesn't break all the rules of running."

"Running together?"

"Extra baggage, and that includes people, only slows you down. You run, you run alone." She chuckled and gave him a soft look. "We'd end up getting caught having sex, anyway."

Jake had held his poker face for as long as he could before laughing. "Yeah, probably. Would Hammond go to those lengths to get you back?"

"Kill you?" She considered it. "No, he wouldn't. That's not who he is. Well, that's not who he was, I don't know him now."

Jake didn't say what he really wanted to say about Hammond. The werewolf played the jealous boyfriend to a T. Even his own men seemed confused by it. "You're pretty special to him."

"I was."

"What's with the past tense?"

"Where would we go?" she asked, changing the subject. "It would need to be somewhere very low tech."

Jake reached out and cupped Cait's cheek, pulling her closer. He felt her stiffen and then relax, an unexpected response. Before she'd pull back before he could even touch her.

"If I kissed you now," he said softly, pulling her face close to his, "would you let me take you into the bedroom?"

She smiled at him. "Jake, do you seriously think you could?"

Jake looked at her lips and kissed her, for the first time. He couldn't say it was what he imagined because he had not given it any thought up until this point. Their kiss was gentle, but hesitant, till he pulled her body against his and opened her mouth with his tongue, kissing her deeply. It was slow and deep, losing his breath as she pressed him softly against the fridge. Her hands came up around his waist and ran them up his back, making him shiver. His other hand came up and he held her face, relishing her kiss, letting the moments tick by as he indulged himself in her taste. Slowly, he pulled away from her, their lips moist with each other's essence. He looked at her and then made a face.

"That was not at all what I thought it was going to be."

"I know right. Good technique but...no shooting to the moon there."

"I'm a little disappointed."

"Oh, come on, I wasn't that bad."

"Eh," he said shrugging. They dropped their arms and laughed.
Cait put her hands into her back pockets and let out a breath. "So, you good now?"

Jake half shrugged and grimaced.

"Gonna stop trying to fall off the wagon. Moon over me?"

"I was not mooning over you."

"Yeah, you were. But you're good now, right?"

"So, you weren't at all curious about me?"

Cait gave it a moment's thought and then answered, "No, not really. Seriously, you're not tall enough."

"Good to see you've gotten in touch with your sensitive side."

"I'm just trying to get this all out of the way. Did you want to grab my boob or anything?"

"Alright, that's just plenty enough."

"Just trying to help a buddy out," she shrugged with a grin.

Turning, she looked around the room and then off toward the bedroom. She would have never let it get that far, even if Charlie had done more than just acknowledge Lisa, which was saying quite a bit. Jake just wasn't like that to her. She was relieved it wasn't what he thought it would be with her. Granted they had kissed, but really, she wouldn't even count that. Would Charlie be upset? Maybe, who knows. As far as she knew, he wasn't even looking for her.
Lewis Kearney 11 years ago
"LT...Charlie...I'm not comfortable...."

Lewis squirmed in his harness. He didn't do field work too often, but when he did, it usually did not require him to scale a telephone pole and hang precariously by a thin strap of nylon. Dogs didn't climb trees. For good reason.

"Do you have eyes, Lewis?" Charlie's voice was even but stressed at the same time.

"Yes, I do. She's in there. So is Mr. Tyler."

"Do you hear anything?"

Lewis rolled his eyes and readjusted the spikes on his boots. Shifting his gear, he straightened his orange construction hard hat and flat out lied. "No, there's intereference." He went on to explain the variances in metal and the interruption of the signal until Charlie cut him off.

"Just keep me posted."

Lewis made a face and just bit the bullet. "Listen Charlie. This is wrong. If you don't trust Cait, and I don't know why you wouldn't, then you should just talk to her. You're being very...creepy," he said in a downtrodden voice.

"How am I being creepy, she's in there with him!"

"So? How is this different from you talking privately with another woman?"

"Other women don't love me, Lewis."

"Because you'd notice another woman, Charlie?" A new voice chimed in, making Charlie huff angrily.

"Red, shut up."

"Tight sweater girl."

Lewis raised his eyebrows, "She likes you. You talk to her, don't you?"

"He looked her in the eye, Lewis," Red snitched.

"Did Cait see?" Lewis asked anxiously.

"Wait, what? She saw that?" Charlie said nervously.

"I saw it and I'm not even dating you. You're very cute but not my type," Red offered.

Lewis listened into the apartment and heard Cait and Tyler talking. Cait seemed to think Charlie wasn't in love with her anymore or at least didn't see her that way.

"Can I come down now?"

"No," Charlie said immediately.

"Seriously dude, this is bit much for you." Red tried to sound sympathetic. "I'm not a big fan of relationships, but you're really going to fuck this up if you don't stop."

"I'm going to have to agree with Red, Charlie," Lewis said sadly, "and that's just sad."

"Whatevs, nerd."

Charlie was quiet for a few moments when Lewis heard nothing but breathing and then disappointed sighs. Apparently they kissed and weren't happy with the results. Was that bad? Charlie would be upset, but it would appear they did not enjoy it, so maybe that wasn't bad? Lewis decided he'd not mention it. Ever.

"I'm coming down."

"Lewis!"

"You can't order me to spy on your girlfriend, Charlie. This is NOT in my job description. Nor is it part of being your friend."

Lewis began his decent down the pole, opting just to completely disengage at the halfway point. Walking to the utilities van, he undid his tool belt and threw it in the back.

"Hey, Lewis?" It was Red again.

"Yeah," he said, taking his hard hat off.

"Charlie's gone."

Lewis stopped and sighed. "Is he coming here?"

"Proooobbbbaabllly," Red drew the word out slowly. "You could hear everything, couldn't you." It wasn't a question.

It wasn't in Lewis to lie. He was incapable of it, especially when asked a direct question by Leadership or his friends, but he did it this time flawlessly and for good reason. "No, I couldn't."

Red was quiet. "You're not telling the truth, Matty."

"Red, fuck off. I'm no snitch. I'm no spy. I'm certainly not an accessory to eavesdropping and invasion of privacy. Well, when it concerns my friends."

"Did you just say the F word?"

Lewis rolled his eyes and climbed into the driver's seat and started the van.

((OOC Lewis out))
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
"You hungry?"

Cait shrugged and poked around the kitchen, opening the cabinets. "I could eat something."

"Then you can cook." Cait huffed at him. "Will you eat what I make?"

"I let you kiss me, didn't I?"

Jake shook his head, already uncomfortable with speaking about the kiss. "Let's make a pact never to speak of that again. It wasn't bad, it was just like kissing my aunt."

"Your aunt?" she yelped.

"Little sister. Oh, that's just gross. Just...stop talking about it."

"Your aunt," she said in a grumpy voice.

Jake shuddered and held up his hands, waving off the idea. "There's stuff in here for spaghetti. That ok?"

"Yeah, sure."

They spent the next thirty minutes making their meal. They sat down across from each other and ate. Cait picked at her food and mostly leaned across the table and forked Jake's mushrooms. He had never seen her eat from another person's plate before and he watched her with an incredulous look.

"I'm just not used to this new you."

"It's not new. I wasn't always paranoid. This is the old me."

He laid down his fork and rested his hand in the palm of his hand. "It's just so different."

"Don't like the old me?" she asked, not looking at him.

"You're alright," he said with a smile. "Are you staying here tonight?"

Asking did not have near as many insinuations as it might have an hour earlier. He really didn't care either way, but if it bothered her, he'd leave.

"Couch?" she asked, pointing her fork at it.

"Take the bed, just don't hog the sheets."

Cait grinned and shrugged. "I don't know. If I don't show up at Charlie's later, it might be implying something."

"That you've decided to dump him and shack up with me?"

"That I don't care if he decides to give me more freedom."

Jake nodded and continued to eat. "Is this about me or about another woman?"

"Remember Lisa Crawford?" Jake gave her a strange look until she held her hands in front of her chest.

"Tight sweater girl!"

"I'm glad no one recalls her face, considering I broke her nose before coming over here."

Jake winced. "Nice," he chuckled. "Everyone had something to say about that chick."

"Meh," Cait mumbled.

"I can't advise you on this, you know. No experience with jealous girlfriends."

"I'm not jealous."

"Oh, of course not," he said with a snort. "But what's good for the goose...."

"It's not the same thing. I'm not sleeping with you. He shouldn't be dippin' his do in that dog."

Jake chuckled, feeling very much like a girlfriend suddenly. "Well then punching her in the face was a good idea."
"Does he know you're with me?"

Cait put her fork down and pushed her plate away from her. Odds are, Lewis was keeping tabs on her, despite her asking them not to do just that. So Charlie probably already knew that Tyler showed up to the brownstone not too much longer after she had gotten there.

"He knows," she said unhappily.

"That doesn't sound healthy."

"What doesn't?"

"He tracks your every move?"

"He worries," she tried to argue.

"About what? Your safety or you leaving him?"

Cait looked away and slouched in her chair. "You're not helping."

Jake shrugged and then stood up, clearing their plates. "Is this the life you want? Is he what you want?"

"Not helping," she repeated.

Jake turned his back on her and did the dishes, loading them clean in the dishwasher to dry. It wasn't too long before she ran that she saw Jake for the last time. It was in some hotel suite in the city, not too much nicer than the apartment they were in now. She passed information about Kyle Evans over and he turned away to send it on the laptop that was sitting on the kitchenette counter.

Standing, she pushed her chair in and put her hands on the back of it. "Remember the last time I saw you?"

Jake half turned and looked at her. He thought about it for a second and then nodded. "Some hotel, yeah."

"Should have kissed me then."

Jake leaned on the counter over the sink before drying his hands off with a towel. Turning, he leaned back against it. "If I had, we would have been together when they cleaned the team and we'd be dead."

"Is this living?"

"I'd rather have you here now, just friends, than love you for a short time and not have you at all."

Cait made a face and then nodded. Charlie would be waiting for her back in his apartment at the Den. Jake seemed to already deal with the status of their relationship, such as it was, and she was good with that. Jake would just be Jake. The backup, the anchor, the friend.

"Alright. So we cool?"

Jake pushed off the counter and walked up to her, pulling on her waist and hugged her. He kissed her forehead softly and mumbled, "Yes, we're fine."

Cait reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. "So short," she mumbled against his neck, making him laugh. He released her slowly and she backed away to the door, turning away to close it behind her.

The evening was creeping toward an extremely late hour. Ignoring the front door, she snuck out the back and zig zagged her way through the streets toward the Den.

((OOC all out))