Avon Calling

Cris groaned softly and tried to sit up. It hurt. The drugs had worn off by now and things were mending in the steady certain way of all vampires, especially ones with a ready supply of blood. He made it to an upright position though and then sat there working through the pain and trying to decide what he wanted to do now.

"Do you want to go downstairs?”

He glanced over at the IV rack and then to the tube in his arm. Carefully he unhooked himself and then turned back to his companion.

"Or we can perhaps try a shower?” While he did feel more stable, he did not think he was up to showering by himself. He would need to be careful with his back and the last thing he wanted to do was slip and fall in there.

Peeling back the bandage on his face, he found it warm to the touch, raised and somewhat swollen but entirely closed. If he were human then it would have made an interesting scar, but thankfully it would be totally gone by tomorrow.

His ribs were still sore and probably at least still cracked. It still hurt when he breathed, from the tear in his lung and the broken ribs. The gashes in his back had been sewn closed by Rowan and the skin layer might be knitted together by now with that bit of outside aid. What was underneath was still healing.

Standing carefully, Cris reached out and steadied himself with a hand on the headboard and waited for his partner's opinion on what they should do. After all, Rowan was the doctor and Cris had promised to be good.

Rowan Murphy 11 years ago
Rowan had not slept at all, as planned. So when Cris awoke, groaning in pain, he was alert instantly. He helped his partner sit up, frowning in sympathy.

"Yes, to both," Rowan said. "Let's clean up first, then if you like I'll help you down the stairs and we can watch a movie or something."

Cris unhooked the IV and Rowan sat up, swinging his legs around the edge of the bed. He capped the catheter off and wound the dangling IV line around the stand. The bag of blood was empty but he had another replacement handy.

He bent close as Cris peeled away the bandage on his cheek. Rowan let Cris gently touch the healing gashes for a moment and then placed his hand over Cris's, pulling it away so he could peer at it with a critical eye.

"You patch up nicely, love," he said, smiling with relief at the fact that at least Cris wasn't oozing blood.

He slid off the bed as Cris stood, his movements the ginger, careful ones of someone who wasn't sure everything would stay together.

"Let me just check your back," he said. "If it's closed, we can shower. If not, let's give it another hour or two."

He was careful as he slid Cris's shirt aside to examine his quick work. Everything appeared to be closed up enough that warm water running over his back wouldn't cause him further pain.
"Maybe another painkiller after that," he said, watching Cris's less than certain movements. "Not morphine, unless you think you need it. Just something to take the edge off."

He was a doctor, damn it. No patient of his was going to suffer unnecessarily while he had access to controlled substances. Vampire medicine was mostly all about comfort and pain management while their blood did what it had to do.

Placing a piece of waterproof adhesive over the entire port in Cris's arm Rowan then bent and lifted his partner carefully.
"You can attempt the whole walking thing later," he said softly. "Send to me for now; give your ribs a break. Let's get you cleaned off, you'll feel a little better then."

The less Cris tried to breathe the better, given the damage that had been done. Rowan located the bench his boyfriend had used when he could hardly stand and placed it in the shower. Then he proceeded to clean Cris thoroughly, if not as pleasurably as he would have liked. He washed away all traces of blood and grime and then toweled Cris dry and helped him get dressed in a different pair of work pajamas.

With great care he helped Cris down the stairs and got him settled onto the couch amidst a pile of pillows and another warm blanket. Retrieving the IV stand he hooked it back up, wanting to be sure Cris was constantly being fed, even if it was only the bagged variety. It still did the job.

The only trouble with having ensconced Cris so snugly upon the couch was that there was no room left for him, really, unless he wanted to sit at Cris's feet and that just seemed too far away for now. Rowan finally went to the closet, found another couple of blankets and several more pillows, and managed to make himself a little nest of his own on the floor next to the couch, where he could easily touch his partner and rest his head on the edge of the cushions.

"Are you all right here, Cris? How shall I entertain you? I don't know that my usual methods will be very effective."

He grinned at Cris.
"If you don't want modern entertainment, I do know a variety of magic tricks. Card tricks. Or, I can read to you."

Perhaps if Rowan read to him, Cris would fall asleep again. He couldn't get enough sleep at this point - there was no such thing as too much for a healing vampire. Or human, for that matter.
Christian Bern 11 years ago
The shower was certainly not the most fun they have had while getting clean but it was not the worst one he had ever experienced. Cris had come to the conclusion that if he had to be injured then he should always have his own personal doctor. Forget house calls, he preferred having his doctor sleeping in the same bed with him.

Once he had on another pair of work appropriate pajamas, they headed downstairs. Walking was easy enough, breathing was more uncomfortable.

Rowan helped him settle onto the sofa with a stack of pillows and blankets. The IV was then hooked back up. His partner then went about making a comfortable little place for himself on the floor.

When Rowan settled down and leaned against the couch, Cris reached down to lay an arm over his lover's chest. Bending down, he kissed the top of Rowan's head. [Thank you. You have been wonderful.] Cris smiled and added [Perhaps even more than usual.]

He considered Rowan's question of what they wanted to do. Cris had thought they could find something to watch or maybe play. They could always exercise their thumbs without that being terrible on his back. It would keep his mind busy far better than just sitting there staring at a computer.

His partner asked how he should entertain him and then offered methods that were admittedly not Rowan's usual choices. Cris smiled at the thought of Rowan performing magic tricks for him. Any other time he might enjoy listening to his lover read to him but he had just slept and now he was a bit restless.

[I want to do something...the choices are limited. Perhaps we can race cars or play some other wii game?] Board games would require him lean over unless Rowan moved his pieces for him. They could play Star Wars if they got the laptops out. They were working on taking over the galaxy with their sith and he had to admit that Rowan's twi-lek was pretty sexy, especially when being a little evil.

[What do you want to do?]
Rowan sighed as Cris's arm came around him, a sigh of satisfaction. He couldn't exactly say he was happy, not with Cris injured and the killer still out there somewhere, but it was safe and quiet at home, Cris was recovering, and for the moment there was peace. Cris leaned down to kiss him; when he pulled away Rowan shifted in his little nest so that he was turned toward Cris. He rested his uninjured cheek on Cris's leg, one hand tucked under his chin, and looked up at his partner. He still didn't like how pale Cris was. Yes, he was usually somewhere between 'translucent' and 'alabaster' but right now he seemed to lack his usual vibrance. Rowan knew that would go away but it worried him a little.

"It's hardly enough, but you're welcome. You did the same for me." He looked up a Cris and smiled, the healing half of his face feeling tight but not uncomfortable. "I could have been killed but for you and Gary."

Not entirely true, he knew. If not for Cris and Gary Rowan would have gone on his way with another letter in his pocket, but this way had given them a chance at catching their killer even if it had been dumb luck. It was no one's fault that they had failed to capitalize on it. They would work all the harder.

It didn't surprise him that Cris wanted to do something. Honestly, Rowan didn't expect Cris to be a meek, quiet patient. He rather supposed there would be no small amount of grumbling as the healing continued while Rowan insisted on continued rest. Hopefully Cris could be patient with himself, and with Rowan, long enough. While Rowan didn't want Cris up and around until he was at 100 percent, he suspected Cris would attempt it around 50. He had already done the math in his head and settled on a mental 80 percent compromise... but he was still going to shoot for his goal.

If Cris didn't want to sleep again so soon though, he didn't have to. It was enough for Rowan that he was lying still and not trying to do too much. He slid his free hand beneath the blankets covering Cris to his waist and let it rest on Cris's inner thigh, drawing gentle circles with his fingers while he pondered potential activities. As he did so, he rubbed his cheek over the top of his partner's thigh, pressing a soft kiss or two onto the hollow of his hip. It was so natural to him now to touch Cris when he was near.

"We can play wii if you want," Rowan said, his fingers idly making little patterns slightly higher. "I can get your laptop, and we can play Star Wars. I'll even let you beat me at Chess if you want. Again."

He gave a little sigh against Cris's leg. Rowan wasn't bad at chess, but Cris was better than good... Cris was disgustingly wicked at it. Rowan never won; therefore in his mind, they never played chess. Cris just beat him repeatedly at it.

Before he realized it, he had turned fully toward his partner and was caressing him rather intimately, his current position placing him very close to Cris's groin. Rowan hadn't really meant to do so; it was just so natural by now. He stopped his movements, turning worried grey-green eyes up to Cris.

"Love, I'm sorry," he apologized. "I didn't mean to..."

What kind of person took advantage of their partner while they were in too much pain to enjoy it? That was terrible of him. Inexcusable as a doctor, too. He'd just forgotten himself; after all, this was Cris. But it was cruel of Rowan to tease when Cris wasn't up to such entertainment.
Rowan said he could have been killed if he didn't have security there to help confront the werewolf. That statement might have been true; though Rowan was a capable fighter. He might have been successful in a one on one fight with the werewolf but the odds were not ones that Cris was comfortable with. This time it had been luck that had brought them in contact with their target; if Rowan had been doing this by himself it would have gone differently. Cris didn't want to think about Rowan facing this killer alone and he was determined that his partner would never have to.

"Let's not focus on what could have been.” Fear could be debilitating and he couldn't afford to dwell on the many possible ways that this situation could go wrong. He had to think about as many scenarios as possible and ways to come out successful through them and he had to put the right people in the right places in case there were situations, such as this one, that he had not thought of. The whole fight could have gone differently had Gary not been there. The werewolf might have stayed around and tried to do more damage; perhaps they would have caught him had he chosen to stay and fight but Cris doubted that. He had been severely injured and would not have been able to keep the killer off of Rowan. So he was glad that Gary had been in place and he had not thought himself capable of acting as security for Rowan alone.

His partner agreed that they could play something on the wii, or Star Wars and he even graciously suggested that Cris could beat him at chess. Cris smiled and brushed his finger through Rowan's hair. "Tonight you might have a better chance of success.”

Cris listened to his lover's sigh, wondering what Rowan was thinking about. His companion was obviously lost in his own thoughts. Delightful feather light touches that had begun further down his thigh had slowly moved higher. He held his breath willing Rowan not to stop. Maybe he should behave but with his lover so close he really did not want to. Cris reasoned that he was not asking for a stamina sapping sex marathon just... Rowan's fingers felt so good.

Then the touches stopped and Cris sighed softly. He opened his eyes, unaware that he had closed them, and looked down into Rowan's anxious ones. "It felt wonderful. I would rather you continue.”

He squeezed his lover's shoulder and gave him another half smile. "I promise to lay as still as possible if you like.” In case Dr. Murphy was not convinced, Cris added helpfully. "It is wonderful for mental and physical health is it not? Increases endorphins or something like that. Consider it alternative medicine.”
Rowan didn't expect Cris to be upset with his attentions, but he had failed to realize just how much Cris would enjoy them. He was glad for Cris's forthrightness, rather than flirtatiousness tonight. He liked that blunt confirmation of Cris's desires, for if Cris had been vague about it Rowan might have wondered if it was truly what he wanted.

But the way he looked, the way he had responded to Rowan, made Rowan think perhaps he should continue. After all, this wasn't going to do Cris any harm. He grinned at his partner's logic, for there was some truth to it.

"Alternative medicine," he said with a smile. "I like that... but all the same I don't think I'll be trying this method with all of my patients. Just the very special ones."

He tilted his head, letting his fingertips push gently up underneath Cris's shirt until they brushed the warm skin of his stomach.
"Okay. Just one very special one."

He let his fingertips graze Cris's abdomen, enjoying the firm muscle there. Cris might be slight, might have a more delicate build, but he wasn't even a little bit soft. It took no convincing at all to get him to pick up where he left off.

"I'll gladly continue," he murmured, "so long as you lay back and enjoy it. No pushing, no trying too hard... just relax and let me take care of you."

And he meant that in every sense of the word. Rowan wasn't going to do this aggressively. He was going to tease, brush, and softly stroke his partner to his release, slowly and gently. He fully intended to enjoy every moment.

To that end he lowered his head and, kneeling before his partner, kissed his way across the line of Cris's pajama pants. His fingers continued to make delicate, teasing circles on Cris's hips, very slowly sliding Cris's clothing away. He could feel Cris's arousal already; the light pants did not leave anything to the imagination. He slid his mouth down along the soft fabric, breathing through it as he traveled around and beneath Cris's erection, not touching it but teasing as close as he could.

It was a mere beginning... Rowan was a very patient man.
"See that you don't.” Cris muttered as Rowan assured him that he would not be practicing this form of alternative medicine with his other patients. He lifted the hand that was free of tubing and gestured with two fingers toward his own eyes and then pointed them at Rowan. "I have eyes everywhere. I know people who know people.”

Giving his partner his healing half smile, he brushed a soothing hand along Rowan's neck and back. "I already try very hard not to be jealous of all the time your patients get to spend with you without that.” This past week had been great in that one respect. Cris loved watching Rowan work; he loved being right there with him. Somehow his partner made medicine interesting and Cris found himself learning a thing or two here and there while he stalked his lover from room to room. He loved the children the best, seeing them, listening to their stories and logic, watching Rowan put them at ease and even get some of them to laugh and enjoy themselves. The ER was less engaging but he still loved being there all the same.

Rowan's fingers had crept up under his shirt. Cris stopped thinking about the hospital entirely and focused instead on his partner's skillful touch. He carefully slid further down, resting his head fully against the pillows in order to comply with Rowan's stipulations. He did not want to give his partner any reason to stop. Closing his eyes, he did his best to keep his promise of lying still.

His lover was making that difficult with his roaming hands. The feel of Rowan's mouth so close but not quite touching him would slowly drive him insane. His lover breathed across his straining erection. It was warm and frustratingly light. It made him that much more aware of the silky fabric that loosely covered his length, sliding this way and that with Rowan's movements.

Pain, what pain? His mind had no room left to even notice it.
Rowan wasn't sure Cris understood just how sexy his possessiveness could be. Rowan loved it. A perverse part of him almost wanted to inspire that jealousy in Cris from time to time just so he could be on the receiving end of said possession. It wasn't something he did as a general rule, but rather something he saved up for when they were playing with each other. Rowan was fairly certain Cris did know just how much Rowan adored him and how little he wanted to be with anyone else for any other reason.

"You can be jealous all you like, dear one," he said softly, rubbing his cheek along Cris's thigh. "As long as you know for certain that all I truly care about is you."

He turned his head, breathed softly into the crook of Cris's leg where it met his hip.
"Everything you are, I love."

He leaned forward then and touched his lips lightly to Cris's. There would be no deep kisses with Cris's cheek still healing, but Rowan didn't want those. He simply continued to tease softly, toying with Cris's mouth as he offered gentle caresses, nips, and flicks of his tongue. Meanwhile, he trailed his fingertips gently up and down Cris's thigh, making delicate circles over his balls, so light they tickled.

After a minute of such torture Rowan moved back down again. With careful hands he slid Cris's pajama pants down while his partner lifted his hips slightly. Oh yes, the silky pants had hid very little. With such a tempting sight before him now, Rowan was hardly going to resist. He leaned down, hands upon Cris's thighs, and ran the tip of his tongue up the underside of Cris's shaft. Drawing a little circle around the tip he angled himself up a bit...

...and there was a knock at the door.

Rowan gave a little moan and slumped down onto his nest of blankets.

"Damn it." He looked at Cris, lying there so temptingly, but he had to answer the door. It would be rude not to. He supposed they could lie and pretend to be sleeping... but perhaps the anticipation would be greater for having to wait.

"Sorry, love," Rowan said, quickly replacing his partner's clothing.

He pulled the blanket back up to Cris's waist, thankful that with some artful wrinkling it concealed the evidence of their previous activity. His own problem, however, was somewhat prominent. Rowan solved it by simply grabbing his own blanket and wrapping it around himself like a cloak. Let whoever was at the door think they'd simply been snuggled on the couch.

Rowan bent and kissed Cris softly.
"Let me see who it is." He glanced down. "Don't lose that train of thought."

He opened the door on a pair of very welcome faces.
"Well, hi!"
Eiryk 11 years ago
Eiryk would admit to being concerned. Not panicky or anything after all he'd been in more than his share of brawls before and after immortality set in and Rowan and Christian were both vampires and as such sturdy. Rowan was a doctor besides and Meridian and Evenhet had resources to boggle the mind so it was highly unlikely either had sustained permanent damage or were dead.

Although, Eiryk didn't care to consider the idea of Rowan dead. Rue was a good friend and they had a fair bit of history. He'd also grown more than a little fond of Christian and his incredibly dry sense of humor and he adored how good the man was for his friend. As such, a dead Christian wasn't high on his list of things to consider as well. So between Alex and a bit of a grapevine he was here and a bit worried.

After waiting for a civilized hour, or until he managed to wake up which ever came first Eiryk had made a pot of coffee poured it in a thermos and took he and Alexander down to Christian and Rowan's place.

"This would be -so- much easier if I could send."

Eiryk groused at Alex as they rode the elevator downstairs as he tied knot after knot after knot. He had started tying them as they left their apartment and continued right to Christian and Rowan's door. There was no point in calling though, really he wouldn't be satisfied until he set eyes on his friends. With some effort he managed to stop his fidgeting and knock in a civilized almost cheerful manner instead of pounding on it like he was trying to knock it down.

When Rowan opened the door and looked well enough, if by well enough one met a bit beat up, battered, bruised and completely exhausted. But he was alive and moving under his own steam. That was a good start for any of them. Eiryk narrowed his eyes and inspected Rowan as much as he could from the hallway with with the blanket wrapped around his shoulders and tried to keep his mother hen tendencies in check.

"We just thought we'd pop by with some coffee and to make sure... you weren't dead or missing any limbs or anything. Those can be a bitch to regenerate."
Alex Aristos 11 years ago
Alex watched Eiryk tie knots in a piece of string as they traveled down to Cris and Rowan's home. He had heard the rumor in the gym while giving a yoga lesson last night, that Cris Bern had gotten wrecked by something mean that had broken a law or something. He had heard four or five different stories since then - Cris had been attacked, Rowan had been attacked, various versions involving a mugger, a gang, a drug addict, whatever the story they all had one thing in common and that was Rowan running breakneck into the Towers with Cris's dead body.

Only, Alex and Eiryk (and most of the residents there) knew Cris couldn't have been dead if there was a body involved. Alex had rushed out of his yoga lesson and immediately gotten in touch with Aishe, who had at least eased their worries. Yes, Cris and Rowan had both been injured in an attack of some sort, but they were resting comfortably and would both be fine with time and blood.

Alex couldn't help in the time department but he could certainly help with the other, as could Eiryk. He had immediately wanted to go see their friends but they'd waited to let them rest some. Besides, there would probably be no small number of donors early on. Those donors might become scarce later on when things seemed to be all right.

When they knocked on the door there was a minute of silence, and then Rowan opened it. Alex blinked at him. He looked like shit. Nothing horrible; there was a set of red scars on his face that looked like they hurt but were healing, but that was the only injury Alex could see. Rowan just looked... worn out. Tired, and haggard.

He moved aside after smiling and greeting them, though, and Alex had to admit Rowan looked downright bouncy compared to Cris. That sight made his heart hammer in his chest. Alex liked Rowan and Cris plenty but of the two of them he felt more connected to Cris. They were the two more soft-spoken members of their group, the ones less likely to get pumped up and competitive, and Alex liked to think it was sort of a bond between them. It countered the closeness between Eiryk and Rowan, which could be a little intimidating sometimes.

Alex squeezed Eiryk's hand and let go, crossing over to where Cris lay on the comfortable sofa. His face was also scratched, and he looked like moving from the couch would be far too much to handle, much less lifting his head from the pillows he rested on. Alex looked back at Eiryk, his brown eyes worried. Eiryk and Rowan had reassured him that until they turned into ash, vampires were salvageable.

"Hey," he said softly, moving over to where Cris lay. "Heard you were feeling under the weather."

They hadn't come to socialize; they were definitely there for a reason. So Alex sat gingerly on the edge of the couch facing Cris, and reached down to touch his friend's hand lightly.

"I'd like to help."
Cris savored the light teasing kisses that Rowan showered him with. They gave him some way to respond in kind, although with restraint. He moaned softly against his lover's mouth as Rowan's hand continued to stroke and tease.

His partner then moved down, pulling his pants out of the way. Cris did his best to stay still but with Rowan's tongue running along his cock that was very difficult. He gripped the side of the couch, gasping with each new touch...

And then there was a knock at the door.

Groaning, Cris made of quiet sound of disappointment and protest as Rowan hastily helped him pull the pajamas back into some semblance of order. His lover tossed a blanket over him and Cris felt like they were a couple of teenagers who had been making out when their parents came to check on them.

Rowan, with his blanket cloak, went to answer the door. Cris soon heard the sounds of Eiryk saying something about coffee and missing limbs.

Cris sent to Alfarinn while he waited for everyone to join him in the living room. [What is it with you Norse and coffee? I liked you guys better when you were obsessed with alcohol.]

There was amusement and along with a sense of general surprise at the question. [Its cold at home. Therefore coffee. Its a very social thing. If it makes you feel better then I will bring you some alcohol.]

Remembering where he and Rowan had been before having guests, Cris hastily sent back an answer. [No, I am pretty sure my doctor would advise against alcohol.]

Alfarinn snorted but agreed. [Better you than me.]

Looking over as the others came into the room, Cris did his best to smile reassuringly. That did not seem to work very well. He probably still looked like death was close at hand. The blood in his body was going toward healing him not to making him look any better. Cris knew from experience that he tended to look like Alfarinn's less healthy little brother when he was injured.

Alex came to sit down next to him and commented on the rumors that he was not well. He wondered briefly what those rumors might actually be and the reasons that the gossip network would give for his injuries. He gave his friend another half smile at the understated way Alex expressed them.

"Not to worry. I am sure it will blow over in a few days.” Cris was sure that it would but he was thankful for Alex's concern. It was nice to have friends who cared. He also knew that Alex was relatively new to the realization that humans weren't alone in the world. Cris wondered if Eiryk had ever been seriously injured while the two of them had been together. Alex might not know how well they recovered.

He turned his hand over and grasped Alex's, squeezing it gently in silent thanks for the offered aid.

[Are you certain?] Cris sent to Alex. His gaze flickered toward Eiryk standing with Rowan. It was an intimate thing that his friend was offering and he didn't want it to be a problem between Alex and his boyfriend later. He liked Alex and would admit, if only to himself, that he found the dark haired man attractive and enjoyed his company. It was harmless; he was devoted to Rowan and Alex seemed quite taken with Eiryk but, as an empath, Cris was as honest with himself about his own feelings as he could be. Mostly he enjoyed the other man's quiet humor and he felt that Alex was also a person who was truly open with very few people. Cris knew that the yoga instructor was well liked by many but he counted himself to be very lucky to be friends with Alex the man instead of the teacher. He did not want to jeopordize that friendship.

Eiryk did not seem to be the jealous type but appearances could be deceiving and only his partner knew what he was truly like. And Rowan, Cris added, reminding himself that his partner would have some idea of how Eiryk might feel about such things. [I do not want to cause you trouble.]

Out loud he said. "That is very kind of you.”

((OOC: Our sympathetic leader in blue ))
Rowan smiled at their friends as they came in; he'd known Eiryk and Alex would show up sooner or later. The thermos of coffee made him grin. He took it from Eiryk with a word of thanks.

"No, no death or dismemberment," he said with as comforting a smile as he could muster.

He didn't know how much they had heard and frankly, he didn't want either of them involved. It was bad enough that Cris was involved, that Security was involved... more people than Rowan was comfortable with were involved. Not Eiryk and Alex too. On top of that he wasn't sure if either of them knew much about werewolves. Vampires had been plenty for Alex. Werewolves on top of that might be a bit much. So he figured he'd avoid details unless asked for.

Alex moved away to go over to Cris though, and Rowan felt a moment of surprised pleasure, that Alex should offer himself to Cris. He heard the soft voices, and smiled to himself.

"Let's just put this in the kitchen for now," he suggested to Eiryk, lifting the thermos.

Once they were out of sight Rowan put the container down and slumped against the kitchen counter, feeling the weight of exhaustion heavily upon his shoulders.
"I'm glad you stopped by," he said, rubbing his fingers across his eyes. "We'll be fine. It's just been a long night."

He hadn't slept a wink in his vigilance over his injured partner. He was feeling it now but he was used to running on nothing; he did it at work all the time. Later on that day he was sure Cris would be feeling a good deal better and when his lover was able to move around a bit more surely by himself, Rowan would take a nap. Not before then though. If there was even a chance Cris might need him, he refused to be sleeping when that time came.

He crossed his arms over his chest, tucking the blanket in as he did.
"Sometimes I wish Cris weren't in the job he's in," he said. "Maybe I'm just getting old, but constant danger doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to."

There; let Eiryk think that what happened had just been a hazard of the Security job. No killers or werewolves here, not at all. Everything's fine! He was glad to have him there though. He and Eiryk went back such a long way it was much like having a brother there. An axe-wielding, coffee-gifting, mead-brewing brother who was every bit as likely to trip over himself as anything else. But Eiryk was family; had been for a very long time.
Eiryk 11 years ago
"Ah... death, dismemberment, the looting, the pillaging what I wouldn't give for the good old days."

Eiryk said trying to keep up some semblance of normality and his usual good humor. Very few people would hear the note of concern and strain in his voice. Funny that three of those people would be right here though.

His eyes followed his partner to Christian and was rather shocked. The man would probably have had more fun if he'd been run over by a truck, repeatedly. Good lord no wonder Rue looked exhausted, he probably hadn't been more than a few feet from Christian's side and knowing how soundly his pirate brother slept Eiryk had very little doubt that Rue wasn't allowing himself to sleep either. Not that he blamed him, if it had been Alex, Eiryk would be doing just the same thing.

As Alex perched on the sofa and said what he had to say Eiryk wondered if his boyfriend was nervous. It was a very kind offer, very generous, but well Alex wasn't a familiar, he wasn't some vampire groupie who offered himself to just any one this might be a little intimidating. But it had been Alex's idea and Eiryk couldn't fault it at all. He didn't want his partner passed around like a can of Coke but this was an extreme circumstance. He caught Christian's quick, quiet look and nodded very slightly before following Rowan into the kitchen.

"Of course we stopped by. You might call me next time you need a hand though it isn't like I'm far."

And it wasn't like he wouldn't drop everything for Rowan. Eiryk admonished his friend very mildly. The man had enough on his mind without getting chewed out but one had to remember their available resources. Speaking of which.

"Sit, sit... you look like death warmed over and that's not going to turn your man on. Have some coffee."

With any luck at all, the caffeine jolt would be enough to keep Rowan going for a few more hours. Until he was satisfied that Christian wasn't going to fade away.

"You probably need to eat yourself and bagged crap isn't good for you. Nosh away. And then you can tell me what the hell happened."

Eiryk knew Rowan and had come to know Christian. The two of them were good fighters, people he'd want on his side in a brawl or on a raid. They were both vampires and not apt to look as Christian did for no reason. Yes Christian did have a dangerous job, he wasn't a mall cop but he wasn't a narcotics agent on the Mexico boarder either. He didn't arrest law breakers and criminals on the street either. So -something- was up, not that he had any clue what.

"Shame about you getting old and settled though. I liked our wild times but I guess when you cross that thousand year mark we all start to slow down a bit..."

It was added to soften the demand. After all while Christian wasn't CIA or FBI, although he was a bit GQ, Eiryk suspected there were some things that just couldn't be talked about.
Alexander squeezed Cris's hand in return, a little surprised to hear Cris's voice... although he was sure Cris hadn't said anything out loud. Eiryk had told him about this though, or something like it, he thought, so he wasn't terribly shocked. Just... surprised.

"I'm sure," he responded softly, glancing back at Eiryk and smiling. He turned back to Cris. "We talked about it. And I want to help."

As Rowan and Eiryk moved away into the kitchen, their voices a soft backdrop, Alex shrugged self-consciously.
"I don't have a lot of friends. If I can help the ones I do have, why wouldn't I? Can you sit up?"

Between them they managed to get Cris slightly more upright. Alex had never been bitten by anyone but Eiryk; it didn't occur to him to offer his wrist or anything like that. Vampires bit necks, right? That was how they usually did it.

It should have felt awkward to wrap his arms around Cris but it didn't, not really. Alex was trying to help hold him up as much as anything, avoiding the parts that seemed to be hurt the worst. Cris's body was smaller, slighter than Eiryk's. The way he looked, he should have felt frail, but he didn't. There was still inhuman strength in his body. It was just taxed, that was all. He kept telling himself that. Rowan said Cris would be fine, and Rowan should know.

"Please, Cris. It's all right," Alex said. Shifting a bit closer he intentionally put his neck near Cris's mouth, embracing his friend, one hand on his upper back and the other on his side near his hip.

It didn't feel like Eiryk, but it wasn't bad at all. He wasn't even nervous. He trusted Cris.
Alex said he was sure and Eiryk nodded before he and Rowan moved away toward the kitchen. He supposed he had no other objections though he was still uncertain. Cris did not want to mess up a friendship that meant so much to him with awkwardness.

He nodded when asked if he could sit up and did so, slowly and carefully and with help. Cris prided himself on only groaning in pain once or twice through the whole process.

Once more upright, he found himself in Alex's arms, being held somewhat carefully like he might break or turn to ash at any moment. Oddly, he found that Alex was built much like Rowan and was the same height. He fit into the same place, had to tilt his head back a familiar amount. There were differences in their build and the hold around him lacked the rock steady iron strength of a vampire. In truth, even now, Alex was the more fragile of the two of them.

His friend bent closer and told him that it was alright. Cris nodded against Alex's neck. "Thank you."

Determined to be gentle, Cris tightened his hold on Alex, wrapping his arms around the man's waist. He pressed his lips against the warm skin of his friend's neck, not a kiss exactly but a sign that he was about to bite him. He did not want it to be a surprise, even a small one. Slowly, he sank his teeth into Alex's neck and then gently began drawing blood from him.

As far as human blood went, Alex's was a rare treat. He tasted of daylight and good living; there was no excesses to be found his friend's blood. It was pure and wonderful, as subtle and clean as Alex himself.

He drank slowly, taking enough to appreciate Alex's offer and for it to do some good but not enough to weaken his friend overly much.

With a soft sigh, Cris gave the tiny wounds a gentle lick and then pulled away. Smiling up at Alex, he said. "Eiryk is a lucky man. You taste like all that we've lost. Sunlight and humanity." Holding onto Alex's arms, he scooted down just a bit and turned so that he could lean against the pillows without laying down as he had been. "He is fortunate for a lot more reasons than that as well." Cris added with a smile.

"Are you okay?" He watched Alex carefully, making sure he had not miscalculated and taken too much or that his friend regretted his decision or was uncomfortable. A vampire's bite was an intimate thing; they had no real way to make it feel any different. Releasing one arm, Cris moved his hold down to Alex's hand. Giving it a gentle squeeze, he smiled and said. "We have cookies." The dark side always had cookies. He still was not up for going to get them but he could certainly explain where they were or ask Rowan to bring them. "And juice, if you want them."
It was rare that Rowan couldn't let his guard down with Eiryk. Usually he could. Tonight, though, he needed Eiryk to ask no questions about the attack. It was different when it was, indeed, axes and pillaging. Now, though, maybe it was a 'we're old' thing... old, settled, whatever. Eiryk had someone special in his life, and Rowan realized he could never jeopardize that for his friend. Ever. Eiryk had to be kept out of it, for Alex's sake, no matter how it angered him.

When they were in the kitchen he rubbed his hand over his eyes in a tired response to Eiryk's admonishment.
"There was no time," he said. How could he have called Eiryk? "We were attacked, and when I saw how badly Cris was injured I just picked him up and went. I don't know how many people on the street saw me running like that. All I could think of was getting him safely back to the Towers and fixing him up."

Eiryk's coffee went to the side on the kitchen counter.
"In a little while," he promised. Truthfully he would welcome a little caffeine, but things might get awkward if he had to try to explain to his friend that he didn't want coffee-breath while he went down on his partner again after they left.

The offer of blood came as no surprise and Rowan didn't plan to refuse; he had fed from Kem earlier, yes, but that had been hours ago and his body was healing too. It was an oddly familiar sensation, slipping his arms around Eiryk's waist, tugging him close, and gently biting into his neck.

At the rich taste of Eiryk's blood a thousand years of memories came rushing back. Rowan felt his breath hitch as he drank. He and Eiryk hadn't spend every year together or anything, but for someone like Rowan whose life had been spent flirting with everyone and everything, making passing acquaintances and very few close close friends, Eiryk was a rarity. And now, look at them. Passion between them had been an on and off thing, a casual spree, company and constancy in an ever-changing world. And here they were now, traveling separate roads but still parallel. While he and Eiryk had never loved each other like a couple, they certainly loved each other as friends.

It was that realization that hit Rowan as he pulled away from Eiryk's neck and found himself clutching Eiryk tightly, burying his face in his friend's shoulder and breaking down completely in huge, silent sobs that he bit back as much as possible to keep Cris and Alex from hearing them.

"I could have lost him," he gasped softly. "God, Eiryk, I could have lost him."
Eiryk 11 years ago
"I meant after that. After you had him settled."

He said very gently. Rowan didn't have to do this alone. He didn't have to try and hold things together single handed. No, there had been more than enough for Rue to manage right off the bat and it wasn't like you could fish up your cellphone while fighting for your life.

Maybe Rowan seemed off, maybe his friend seemed to be holding back but it wasn't anything that really registered with Eiryk. Even what did was quickly and easily dismissed as being due to the attack and worry about Christian.

"Well drink it soon you don't want it to get gold. And let me know if you want more or -anything- else."

The thermos was first class so Eiryk wasn't too worried about it getting cold but wanted to keep Rowan focused on something besides his worry.

Thank god Rowan didn't plan on fighting him or trying to be noble. Eiryk would have sat on his friend and forced his blood down Rowan's throat if he had refused. Eiryk held Rowan close, firmly as if he was afraid Rowan couldn't support himself.

It was oddly familiar, Rowan biting him. It was something Eiryk missed. Not Rowan biting him, but being bitten. This wasn't something he could do for Alex, he missed this closeness and this sharing. He wouldn't trade Alex for anything, he just wished he could do more, do this for his partner.

He wasn't completely satisfied that Rowan had taken enough but it would keep his friend, his oldest friend, from starving to death even if he decided to feed Christian again, and he could only assume it would be again.

Eiryk felt rather than heard the sobs and held Rowan all the tighter for it. It hadn't been that long ago they'd had this conversation, only the other way around with Eiryk worrying about Alex's mortality. This was a fear, a shock, that Eiryk understood far too well.

"Yes, you could have." Lying would be of little or no comfort. "But you didn't Rue. He's in there He's healing up and no matter what happens we'll take care of you both."

He kept his voice low, very low only Rowan would hear. There was no point in stressing out Christian and Rowan needed to break down sooner or later. Now was good.
Alex closed his eyes at the feel of Cris's mouth against his neck. He had thought it would be easier to picture Eiryk when this moment came but as it turned out, he rather liked that it was Cris. He felt a tiny spike of guilt at the fact that he was admitting it to himself, but he could be attracted to Cris. Fairly easily. Maybe he didn't often go for 'slim and lithe' as a body type but Cris's personality felt so comfortable with his.

He tightened his hold slightly on Cris as he felt those fangs softly pierce his neck, so like Eiryk yet not. The effect was similar and immediate, however, and he gasped in sheer delight as a wave of straight eroticism hit him in the gut. He spared a brief moment to be thankful for some practice. The first few times Eiryk had bitten him he'd climaxed immediately. Repeated experiences had taught him some measure of control and he exercised that now; much as he liked Cris, much as he was attracted to him, that experience would definitely push this occasion into the realm of awkward when they were both happily committed to their partners. Cris couldn't help the effect his bite had on Alex any more than Alex could help feeling it.

He sighed shakily as Cris released him, shivering at the light touch of Cris's tender tongue upon his neck. He let go of his friend so he could relax back onto the pillows on the couch, smiling down at him and listening to his words.

Alex shook his head quickly in denial of Cris's statement.
"You may not have sunlight," he said, reaching out to touch the uninjured side of Cris's face with gentle fingers, "but you haven't lost any humanity Cris."

He was sure of that. Cris might be quiet, might be reserved, but Alex had known him long enough now to see what lay beneath that stoic unemotional exterior. Cris was just as human as he was. He had no doubt.

He felt his cheeks growing red at the compliment though, and it occurred to him that Cris didn't give himself enough credit.
"Rowan's a lucky man too."

Impulsively he leaned down and kissed Cris upon the cheek he had just touched. Sitting back up he laughed softly.
"I'm fine. I don't need sugar."

Then, he glanced wryly down.
"I think I might just leave you and your lucky man and take Eiryk back home. You know you can call us any time. We're just a few floors away. If you need more, if you want some company, let us know; if you want us to beat Rowan into submission until he gets some sleep we can do that too."

Alex wasn't a violent man so Cris would know he was joking. But it had been plain to him that the redhead needed to sleep at some point. He understood why Rowan hadn't, though, having witnessed that particular issue he and Eiryk shared on several occasions.

Sitting back, letting his hand rest easily upon Cris's, he asked,
"What happened tonight? Can you tell me about it?"

He would understand if Cris wouldn't, or couldn't say. He was a human in a very deep and complex world he was only just beginning to understand. He knew he wasn't going to always get answers.
Cris was surprised by the light touch to his cheek and the kind words. He was fairly certain he had lost some of his humanity somewhere but not from being a vampire but from doing the job that he did. Ironically, he probably lost it before he ceased to be human. "It is hard doing what I do but I try."

He smiled at the gentle kiss on the cheek and the opinion that Rowan was a lucky man as well. "I hope so. I feel very fortunate. I don't let people in very often." Cris was fairly sure Alex had noticed by now. "It amazes me that he managed to slip right past all that. Circumstance, fate... I am not sure how it happened by I am incredibly grateful that it did."

Huffing softly at Alex's earlier refusal of cookies, Cris muttered. "How are we going to corrupt you and bring you over to the dark side if you do not eat the cookies?" It would nice to play with Alex and Eiryk in Star Wars though he would prefer another social night soon. He and Rowan could stand some company that did not involve injuries, anxiety or stress.

Alex said he was thinking of taking Eiryk and going back home. Cris nodded; his empathy told him exactly what was motivating his friend to want to leave fairly quickly and it was not entirely to give him and Rowan some more time to rest. He kept his observations to himself. Alex then offered aid, blood, company and help getting Rowan to get some sleep. "I might have to resort to the beating. If I will do then I will definitely call you both because I do not think I can take him on alone in my current condition."

The subject changed to what had caused his injuries and Cris pondered the best way to explain. He hated being less than forthright to his close friends. Until now that had rarely been a problem since his closest friend was the leader of his clan and therefore above his own head in the hierarchy and probably somehow involved in the trouble anyway.

"We found out that the fire that Rowan tried to save the girl from was started by an arsonist. There was another fire in the same area tonight. The man probably lives or works in that area or thinks the industrial section is a good place for his particular brand of destruction. I was walking Rowan home from work and we felt someone unseen bump into us. Then we smelled the fire. We tried to keep the guy from getting away." Cris gestured toward his face and torso. "He was armed and apparently the luckier person today." He shrugged the uninjured shoulder. "The rest I cannot say. Evenhet believes in keeping people safe and someone has to police our kind so there is an ongoing investigation." He looked at Alex and said. "I assure you that I will be more careful in the future."
Eiryk's embrace was painful as he hit bruises he didn't realize Rowan had. But the pain brought Rowan to his senses somewhat and he rested his head against Eiryk's shoulder as he regained some control. He patted Eiryk's other shoulder with his hand and pushed himself upright with a smile.

"Yeah," he responded to his friend's reassurance. "I know you will."

He never doubted for a moment that his friends would be there if anything happened. And they would be there for Cris if anything should happen to Rowan. That was soothing. Except for the idea that he might not be around. Not so soothing. But easily put aside.

Wiping his eyes quickly, Rowan turned to the sink and let the cold water run, splashing some of it on his face and cleaning away any evidence of red eyes or nose or any such thing. He dried himself on the clean hand towel and shook his head with a laugh.

"Look at me. Sad and sappy and caught up in a romance I didn't expect. But I wouldn't change a thing."

If only Henri could see him now... would his Creator be amused or worried? Or possibly equal measures of both? It was a topic for idle speculation later. He turned to Eiryk again, somewhat more put back together.

"Thanks for the donation," he said. "I'll be sure to get you back at some point. Shall we see what our respective partners are up to in the living room?"

It wasn't horribly easy to banish all of his fears and worries but Cris had made it plain that he didn't want to focus on them. Rowan wasn't going to dump them on Cris at all. So he put on a smile, which wasn't difficult with Eiryk there and was made even easier by the sight of Alex and Cris sitting together on the couch, both looking relaxed and even perhaps a little intimate.

His eyes drifted over Alex, checking him out for any signs that he wasn't at peak performance but he found none on a cursory glance. Of course Cris wouldn't drink deeply. He probably didn't need to, with the IV in his arm. That was the point of it, after all. In addition even if he'd been hungry Rowan knew his lover commanded considerable restraint.

His eyes fell onto Cris, who looked peaceful. And gorgeous. he remembered their previous activity and felt himself respond unbidden; just looking at the blanket on Cris's lap made him feel a wave of desire. He wanted to return to their previous activity. Like, five minutes ago. While he wouldn't encourage Alex and Eiryk to leave, he hoped they'd come with that one specific purpose in mind. They could socialize more later.

Emotion, perhaps, made him feel an insistent urge to be back in the quiet of the living room alone with Cris once more.
Eiryk 11 years ago
Eiryk watched Rowan carefully. He was still worried and hated to see his friend so upset, rattled. Not that Rowan was having hysterics or so depressed he couldn't move but still it wasn't normal for Rue. His mother hen instincts were kicking in too. He wanted to tuck Rowan into bed and make him rest for a while. After all if you could get Rowan to sleep the man would be -out- and that would be all for the best. Blood was good but rest still helped.

"Funny how they sneak up on you isn't it? But you do make the perfect romantic heroine, although a nice breeze to ruffle your hair and dry your tear stained cheeks might add to the ambiance."

It was an attempt to get Rue to smile, just a little for a second. Dwelling, worrying, obsessing these were not healthy you had to have a break here and there.

Eiryk waved his hand dismissively at the idea that Rowan would get him back. He wasn't worried. It wasn't like he was starving and how often did a decorator get involved in shit like this? Maybe the next time he reinvented himself it would be an issue. Of course Eiryk was having a harder and harder time picturing the next time, because it would be without Alex. He had, however, willfully and deliberately started developing a fabulous case of denial about all of that though.

"I think we shall... and if Alex has thrown me over for Christian I may have to go get my ax."

He teased. Mostly. Not that he doubted Alex or Christian. It wasn't something that either man was likely to do, and he had absolute faith in Alex but Eiryk did have a jealous bone or two in his body. They might be small, but they were there.

Ambling back to the living room both men looked perfectly fine. Well for different versions of perfectly. Christian still looked like he'd had a rough night but he looked perhaps a bit better and Alexander didn't look any the worse for wear which was a relief. Ordinarily he would have invited himself to sprawl on the sofa but he didn't want to jostle Christian. He grinned at the slight blond a bit.

"I must say Christian this is not up to your usual standards of hospitality. We'll have to have you over next time don't you think?"