Wild Side (attn: Evan)

It was a clear, cool night. A little warmer than was seasonal for this time of year in Nachton, or so Evan had told him. Kiyoshi had walked into the Park and Preserve with his partner, waiting until they were out of sight of the parking lot before slipping his hand into Evan's and gripping it tightly. He was shaking with fear, with nerves, with tension. He'd told Evan he'd do this with him though. He would try being a wolf some night, running with Evan without the influence of the full moon.

Never in his forty years had Kiyo willingly embraced his wolf. The only time had been at his arrival at Shady Pines when he'd been required to prove himself. It had been difficult then; he didn't know how he'd do it now.

"Evan," he said, stopping shortly and tugging on the vampire's hand to bring him to a halt. He looked up at his partner fearfully. "I don't know about this."

Kiyoshi hated being a wolf. Everything it was, he abhorred. Everything it meant was against his desires. He didn't want to do this... and yet, he wanted to because he wanted to share himself with Evan. Evan wanted to know and Kiyo did want to let Evan know all of him... scared as he was to show his partner the bad parts. Evan had never judged him, not once. Kiyoshi had no reason to think he would do so now, when he hesitated to embrace this move tonight.

"I mean I... I want to. I want you to know. But I..." he stammered, unable to speak smoothly. "I'm just not good at this. I've never done this before."

He realized he was gripping Evan's hand far too hard and forced himself to let up a little bit.

"I don't know if I can," he said. "It's not as easy as... I mean when you do it it looks simple. And it doesn't look like it hurts."

Kiyoshi knew that those who embraced the Change eventually learned to make it much smoother, perhaps not painless, but certainly a lot more comfortable. As one who had never let it happen willingly though, Kiyo had yet to experience a Change that wasn't excruciating. Just the thought of it had him breaking out in a cold sweat.

"Promise me you won't watch," he said shakily. He was terrified of people looking at him when he Changed. "Please? Maybe another time but... please not tonight. You won't like it."

He had explained to Evan how he'd first turned into a wolf... in the middle of a crowd of onlookers, in the midst of his family, in his own mother's arms. It had left its mark. More than anything he feared Changing in front of people. Yes, he knew Evan wouldn't judge. He knew Evan wouldn't hold anything against him, but just doing this tonight was a huge step for Kiyo. In what direction he wasn't sure.

"I'm sorry," he said, apologizing pre-emptively. "I don't want to hurt you. It's just... I, uh, I'm..." he bit his lip and looked down. "I'm just afraid."

Evan Talkingwater 12 years ago
It was a nice night; very warm for this time of year. The winter had been much more mild than the last one. He would like to enjoy it with his companion but they were here for a specific purpose tonight. It didn't seem that Kiyoshi was much in the mood for talking about the weather.

Evan looked down when a warm hand was slipped into his own. He looked over and smiled at his partner. This was awkward for Kiyo; he knew that. It seemed almost frightening as well. That was something he was not sure he understood. His lover had been a werewolf from childhood and yet he had never come to any easy terms with it. Evan had seen the same thing happen to vampires. Their cases tended to be similar to Kiyoshi's, people who were forced to become something other than human. It seemed harder on them than it was for those people who had been given a choice. Of course, some of those found the change difficult as well. Depending on the blood of people was not an easy thing to live with, even if you did choose to be dependant on it. What seemed acceptable as a rational choice was another matter entirely when faced with the potentially ugly reality of the hunger for blood and the need to hunt.

He looked down as Kiyo tugged on his hand and stopped walking. His partner expressed his doubt and Evan felt sympathetic. He wrapped his arms around his companion and pulled him close. "We don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Kiyoshi." Evan leaned in an nibbled on his partner's neck. "I am sure we can find other things to do while out in the woods alone..."

Sighing, he said. "You don't like this part of you. I promise not to watch if you don't want me to." Evan squeezed Kiyo a little tighter. "I want you to know me and know I am a friend. Kiyoshi the man and Kiyoshi the wolf. It might be very important some day." Evan did not want to be serious; it was not his favorite mood. In this case, he felt it was important to point out that there were other reasons to be doing this beside the 'getting to know you' phase of their relationship.

"My change doesn't hurt." Evan said by way of conversation and confirmation to Kiyoshi's guess. "What would make yours easier? Is it better to change quickly or slowly?" He didn't know. Some of his friends mentioned that a forced change was very painful. That was something the vampires during the war knew as well. Force a werewolf to change back to human form. It hurt like a son of a bitch and it put them out of action for a bit.

"You won't hurt me, Kiyo." He smiled and shrugged. "I'm a pretty tough chew toy. I promise." Evan had not really explained that part of his nature. It was not something easily shown; at least not without doing something drastic. "Tougher than your average vampire and we aren't exactly fragile as races go."

He took Kiyo's hand and tugged him further into the woods. Evan took a deep breath of the fresh air, still crisp with the edge of winter but holding the promise of spring. "What do you like to do as a wolf? Hunt? Run? Eat?" Cocking an eyebrow at his partner, he said. "If it is have sex then you will just have to count me out as a partner...until you are back on two legs." He considered himself pretty open minded and he supposed that if another werewolf and vampire were both willing to have consentual sex while one of them was in an animal form then he wouldn't judge. It just wasn't his idea of a good time. No doubt Kiyoshi was a beautiful wolf but Evan doubted he would consider Kiyoshi in wolf form to be very sexy. In all fairness, he doubted his magpie was very sexy either.

"Everything will be all right. We can give it a try. It isn't the full moon." Evan glanced up into the night sky at the orb being referenced. Nope, not full. It was a half moon. "If it doesn't work out then we don't have to stay but I think we should at least try." He wanted to be there for Kiyoshi if he could be and that meant being there for his partner in wolf form as well. They had to start that relationship somewhere.
Kiyoshi Salinas 12 years ago
Kiyoshi let himself be pulled close and caressed; he would never get enough of that and it never ceased to comfort him. At least it certainly hadn't failed thus far in their relationship. Knowing Evan cared about him, about all of him, bolstered him and gave him some measure of courage and confidence.

He nodded as Evan spoke, squeezing his partner tight and holding on, allowing his senses to verify everything they already knew in such intimate detail; Evan's exact scent, the tone of his voice, the feel of his arms. He was wrapped in sensation.

Evan had a good point; tonight wasn't necessarily about Kiyo being on display. It might be important, indeed, for them to recognize each other in this form. For many reasons. Evan needed to know what he looked like. Kiyo also admitted to some curiosity about the full moon. Would he recognize Evan as a wolf when the madness was upon him? Would the knowledge have any effect on him? If they got used to doing things like this would it calm him some? Would the Change be easier?
"I don't know what makes it easier," he said. "I guess not fighting it would help. It hurts no matter what but I always fight it and it makes it take a long time." A long time of excruciating, bone-breaking, gene-altering pain.

He shook his head when Evan stated that he was tough.
"I mean... I'm not being like this to hurt your feelings," he mumbled, taking Evan's hand again as they moved deeper into the woods. "I care about you. I... want to do this. It's just very hard. I wouldn't do it for anyone else."

He said the words softly, facing forward, knowing he would stammer them out again if he tried to look at Evan. It was hard to say he cared when he suspected what he did was love. Evan had told him once that he could love Kiyo... but he hadn't actually said he did. Just that he could. And Kiyo was not familiar enough with love to take anything for granted. Maybe it was best to never bring the topic up; the point was that he felt loved by Evan and he didn't want to return that feeling with hurt. He desperately wanted Evan to understand that his reticence had nothing at all to do with Evan and everything to do with himself. he'd do anything for Evan, anything - including this.

They eventually reached a clearing in the woods; whether Evan had known it was here or not Kiyo didn't know. It was secluded, though, and the cold ground was covered over with pine needles. It would be a good spot to do this. They were far enough away that any noise Kiyo made would be unheard. He generally did not scream during his Change. He was used to it, used to how bad it hurt.

When Evan brought up the prospect of having sex Kiyo did flush bright red, shaking his head vigorously.
"I can't imagine a point where I could possibly feel any less sexy, or in the mood," he muttered through his embarrassment. Under the full moon sometimes... sometime the wolf felt urges Kiyo didn't think were his. It was shameful. He'd rather keep those urges between himself and Evan, in their bed. Or on the futon. Or the floor. Or in the supply closet. Stay on topic, Kiyo!

"I don't know what we should do," he confessed. "Play it by ear I suppose. Maybe... maybe we can hunt."

His wolf hunted all the time. Kiyo would admit to being adept at it, and the taste of a fresh kill was probably the only time during the full moon when he felt like he and the wolf agreed. He felt bad afterwards, and he'd obviously never hunted outside the full moon but he knew he was capable. And the other R'asa liked to do it. They hunted in groups, for fun, for relaxation. Kiyo could try it with Evan.

Kiyo pulled his hand gently free of Evan's grasp and wiped sweaty palms on his pants. He was dressed uncharacteristically in jogging pants, sneakers, and a sweatshirt. Items he practically never wore. They were easy to get in and out of though.

"Let me try," he said.

He turned his back to Evan, trusting Evan to keep his promise of not looking. He quickly stripped himself and stood there naked, shivering. How did one become a wolf willingly?

He searched for it tentatively in the back of his mind. Come on out, he thought meekly. Here wolf. Come on. I'm letting you out now.

Kiyo waited for a few moments. Nothing was happening. He knelt on top of his clothing, pretty sure he might freeze to death before he grew fur. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Come out, damn it, he thought, but aside from an itch on his arm nothing happened. Change, he demanded internally. He felt a twitch, held his breath. His skin rippled uncomfortably. And then it went away.

Did he not want it badly enough? He was terrified... maybe he couldn't do it because he was scared. Kiyo could feel it in there, waiting. It was a sensation akin to having to urinate when other guys were around... you had to go but damn it, nothing would come out.

He sat back on his haunches and looked at Evan, wrapping his arms around himself.

"I'm trying," he said to his partner. "I just can't. It won't work."

He looked around. "There are things that make it happen, um, involuntarily. Danger. Blood."

Just a taste of blood, and the wolf would emerge. It was a trigger. It happened to all of them. He and Evan could hunt first, perhaps, although Kiyo had no weapon.

"I'm sensitive enough, maybe just the scent," he suggested. Normally the scent of blood wouldn't trigger his Change but normally he wasn't asking for it to happen. It was quite possible that if he was receptive to it, willing, the metallic scent would be enough tonight, when he actually needed it to happen.
Evan frowned slightly but there was nothing he could do to help Kiyoshi not fight his nature, except perhaps help him find something enjoyable about it. He hoped that being a wolf around someone else that he could trust might be enjoyable. He was not another wolf; there was no reason to fight him for dominance or get beaten up by him either. At least he hoped not.

"So what you're saying is I should have brought along a book?" Evan teased softly against Kiyoshi's neck. He was not sure what long was. Changing into a bird took him almost no time at all. The way his partner made it sound, they could be here a while. That sounded horrible. Evan felt bad for Kiyoshi; he would have made a nice vampire. Perhaps he would have had a different animal form; one he liked better. Evan tried to imagine a vampire rabbit. It would be adorable and he would happily carry bunny Kiyo around everywhere.

"I know you're not trying to be difficult or hurtful. I am me when I am a bird, more or less. I understand that it is different for you." He leaned back and took a long look at Kiyoshi. "You wouldn't?" He was touched; Kiyoshi was a very private person and he imagined that sharing this part of himself that he was not comfortable with was very difficult for his partner. "It means a lot that you are willing to trust me that much."

Once they reached the clearing, he turned to his partner and pulled him close once more. Evan knew that Kiyo didn't want him watching so he wanted to comfort him physically, just a little more before he turned around. "Hunting is good. I am passing fair at it. At least I like to think so." Evan smiled

Kiyoshi said he would try and pulled away. Evan favored his lover with one last quick kiss before turning around as requested. He studied the trees around the clearing, the sky, looked around for signs of nearby animals to hunt...all the while listening carefully to the sounds Kiyo made behind him.

Evan went back to considering vampire Kiyo. Maybe he would be snake since he loved being warm so much...or a bear. Neither animal seemed to suit his partner. Whatever animal imaginary vampire Kiyoshi turned into it needed to be snuggle worthy. He just couldn't imagine cuddling a snake or a bear. Maybe a feline of some kind. Kiyo was graceful. He liked hiding things. Maybe a raccoon or maybe they could travel to out west to turn imaginary vampire Kiyo and he could be one of those kangaroo mice. He would be adorable, cuddly, clever and have a penchant for hiding things away. Perfect.

Turning around at Kiyoshi's voice, he saw his partner, still very human looking, crouched naked, shivering on the ground. Evan knelt next to him and wrapped his arms around his lover. "It's all right." He hugged Kiyo tightly and ran his hands over cold exposed skin.

His companion explained that there were several things that helped the change along. He understood those triggers; they did not cause him to change form but vampires always reacted to the smell of blood, even if that reaction was not seen and kept under control. The hungrier the vampire, the harder that was to hide the effect the presence of blood had on them.

"Well I don't know if my blood would be appetizing to smell but we can find out if you want." Evan shrugged. "Or I could find a nice fat squirrel, possom, raccoon, rabbit...something abundant and easily caught. We can find you something bigger after you change. If you like."
Kiyo snuggled back into Evan's embrace when his partner came over to him. He was cold; maybe that was making it difficult to change too. Evan's arms were warm and his voice was soothing. Kiyoshi closed his eyes briefly and let himself be cuddled.

When Evan suggested his own blood as a trigger Kiyo shook his head; he didn't want Evan to bleed for such a reason as this. His own blood, though... would that do? He just needed something to get himself going. While the scent of blood wouldn't usually make him change instantly, he was inviting it in this time. It probably didn't matter whose blood. If he closed his eyes and really willed it to happen...

Kiyo shook his head when Evan offered to hunt.
"I'd rather hunt together with you," he said. He reached out and grabbed the little leather pouch Evan had given him for Christmas off the pile of his clothing. He removed the key to the apartment over Terminus.

Taking a deep breath he pushed the angled, ridged side of the key against his forearm. It was not a slicing tool but it was edged metal and he was strong. Kiyo made a short, deep slice in his arm with the key. Immediately it welled up with blood.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, allowing his senses to be overwhelmed by the rich metallic scent. He could feel something different happen beneath his skin... because he wasn't repressing the urge, he suspected. Having failed to change already only made him stubborn. Now, he found, he actually did want it. Just to see if he could.

Kiyo wriggled free of Evan's arms, reaching out to pat his partner's hand gently as he shivered for a different reason than the cold. He had Changed in someone's arms one, long ago, and screams had ensued. He couldn't do that. With a shaking hand he held the key to his lips, flicked his tongue out against it. It was practical; he didn't want dried blood on his house key and wasn't about to wipe it on his clothes.

Practicality was a big help. The moment his own blood touched his lips Kiyo shuddered. Yes, he told himself, even though decades of conditioning told him to push against the wolf and leave it in the background, not let it out. He forced himself to try to make this work.

Another convulsion rocked his lean frame and he curled in on himself. He didn't look up to see if Evan was still watching. It suddenly didn't matter... no one else would see him like this. He didn't want Evan to, but circumstances were what they were tonight.

He managed to reach out and drop his key back on top of his clothing before another convulsion ripped through him. He moaned softly. It wasn't happening very quickly, but it would happen. He kept his face close to the cut on his arm, sucking in sharp breath after breath of blood-scent. When it ran down his forearm he licked it clean, the motion born of instinct.

That second taste catapulted him into action. Like a caged animal freeing itself, Kiyo's body hurled itself into its Change at a speed he'd never experienced. It was forceful, painful, torture. His cries of pain were strangled moans and gasps; as usual he was quiet.

Over the next few minutes those moans became soft whimpers, and then the unmistakable whine of a canine. Kiyo panted in relief as his new form ceased to shake. He sat up, looked down, and observed himself. He'd never done this when his mind was still his own. He could think... he was in control still! It felt... odd. Like he was Kiyo wearing wolf's clothing.

He looked up at the half moon and swallowed the urge to howl. Way too cliche. Instead he closed his eyes, opened his mouth, and let the scents and flavors of the woods at night roll over his tongue. One collection of scents in particular caught his attention and he turned to see Evan, ducking his head a little, nervous about what the vampire would think of him now.
Kiyo shook his head so Evan guessed that his own blood wouldn't work. He was not entirely sure how his partner would know that but Kiyo's nose was more sensitive than his own so perhaps he could tell. It was a shame; he was hoping to be of some help.

His companion reached over and grabbed the pouch that he wore around his neck and took out the house key that Evan had given him. It brought a smile to his face that Kiyoshi still put the key in the pouch instead of on a keychain along with whatever other keys he might have.

Kiyo pressed the jagged edge of the key down across his arm and Evan winced. He reached out to pull the wounded limb toward him. It was an automatic response and Evan stopped himself before actually touching Kiyoshi. He should let his lover do whatever it was he needed to do. He could not stop the blood by sucking on it and it wouldn't be good for him to drink anyway.

His partner patted his hand and then moved away from him again. Evan waited another moment, watching Kiyo uncertainly, unsure if the pat meant that everything was okay now and he could change or if it was just to comfort him. He watched Kiyoshi lick the blood off his key and saw a tremor course through his lover's body. Evan guessed that meant it was working. Reaching out, he gave Kiyo a final soothing stroke along his spine and then turned around.

He sat with his back to Kiyoshi, listening to the little moans and gasps of pain from behind him. Evan brought his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them, hugging them tight, wishing he could comfort Kiyoshi instead. Eventually the sounds changed in pitch and then stopped all together. He heard Kiyo stir behind him. After a moment, he judged it okay to look. Evan rolled his legs sideways and came up to rest on his knees facing Kiyo the wolf.

Evan blinked at his companion and then smiled. Kiyoshi was a beautiful wolf. He had not expected his partner to be a lovely rich red. Evan wasn't sure what he had expected but he supposed he just expected Kiyo to look like the wolves that were common out west. Instead Kiyo looked almost fox-like with his white points and vibrant reddish brown coat.

"You are beautiful, Little Wolf." Kiyoshi wasn't very little actually. At least not for a normal wolf. Evan was not sure how Kiyo stacked up against his own kind but he looked to Evan like he could rule the canine world...if he didn't look so nervous.

"Its okay." He smiled and reached out first one hand, moving it slowly toward Kiyo. He then lifted the other, inviting his partner into his embrace. "You still look cuddly." Much more cuddly than a magpie. Evan didn't make any sudden moves. He waited on Kiyoshi to come to him. His partner had seemed concerned about his behavior as a wolf and what he might do once he had changed so Evan was willing to be calm and patient.
Kiyo knew Evan, wasn't afraid of him, and didn't have any urge to fight him or run from him. He saw his partner on his knees, hand extended outward in a cautious gesture most people used when approaching a strange animal. He wanted Evan to know he was still Kiyo. There were no full-moon urges upon him. He was nervous because he didn't like being a wolf, because it felt strange and unreal to him, particularly now that his human self was driving.

With his head low and his tail lowered, not quite between his legs but almost, Kiyoshi wove back and forth a few times, pacing a little. Finally, ducking his head even more, he went straight to Evan and pushed his head under the vampire's hand. He stood for a moment, trembling, and then tucked his haunches beneath him and sat down.

There was something so unusual about being seen this way, about knowing it was all right and that Evan wasn't going to hurt him or challenge him or anything. He wasn't expected to submit; he didn't have to fight for rank. Kiyo knew that such things were natural to wolves but it sucked to be on the bottom every single time. His inner wolf did not like that one bit. It always fought. It fought him, it fought others, constantly trying to be stronger, better, something other than what it was not.

This was new and different. This was Kiyo... playing wolf. He leaned against Evan. He couldn't talk, obviously, so he had to wait for Evan to speak. If his partner still wanted to hunt they could hunt. Would Evan hunt as a bird? It seemed like he could; it would be so easy to fly among the trees until he found his prey and then drop on it from above and use his superhuman strength to make a kill. Kiyo could run just about anything they hunted to ground. Regular wolves might have to tire the prey out but Kiyo was a different breed altogether.

Pressing close to Evan, he waited for a signal, for a few words, for some indication that Evan still wanted to know him like this, to do something together this way.
Evan watched and waited while Kiyo paced in front of him. The behavior was not anything he associated with a wolf and he supposed, after a moment of staring at Kiyoshi with his arm outstretched, that this was the point his companion was trying to make. Eventually Kiyoshi came and leaned against him.

Reaching out, Evan gently ran his fingers through the thick fur. He then leaned foward and rubbed his cheek against Kiyo's. "I hope this will be better than it normally is for you."

He hugged Kiyoshi to him once, squeezing him gently. With a final pat, Evan stood up and looked around. "I suppose now you are hungry. Yeah?" He looked down at Kiyoshi and smiled. "I could share a meal with you this way....so long as you don't begrudge me a little blood."

Hunting was something he had done in both his forms but tonight he wanted to hunt with Kiyoshi as himself. He explained his choice to his companion. "I want you to hunt with me as me. Perhaps your wolf side will remember that I am a friend later, under the full moon." He was not sure how that worked. Was the other side of Kiyoshi paying attention? Was it another side or just that a more animal instinct took hold of the werewolf making it difficult to make rational decisions on those nights? Maybe his reason was not a concern. Maybe Kiyo was Kiyo all the time and he would know him in either form.

"Well you have the better nose." Evan smiled down at his companion. "Find something that smells good to you." He would help track it once Kiyoshi showed him what he wanted to look for. Evan suspected that Kiyo might be able to lead them right to whatever prey he wanted but they could cooperate in the taking down their target portion of the hunt.
Evan's hands felt good no matter what form Kiyo was in, apparently. The touch calmed him; he had faith in his partner and felt that if Evan were around, things would be all right. At Evan's well-wishes Kiyo pressed his cheek against his lover's and breathed a soft puff of air against Evan's ear. He wasn't going to do anything cliche like lick Evan or something equally dumb.

He nodded when Evan asked if he was hungry. Kiyo was always hungry. Why bother asking? He opened his jaws, revealing rows of sharpened teeth, and curled his lips back in a canine sort of grin. Then he nodded. Twice, with a little head-butt against Evan's middle to demonstrate that of course he wouldn't mind sharing with him. How could he possibly?

In Kiyo's opinion they needed a plan if they were to hunt successfully like this. He ran to his clothing and picked up one of his sneakers. Bringing his prize back to Evan Kiyo dropped it in front of him. Then he pushed against Evan's leg, shoving him back some.

After that he moved to stand next to Evan, both of them facing Kiyo's shoe. Kiyo crouched down and put one paw out on Evan's foot, trying to tell him to stay. Then he began to slink slowly around his shoe, belly to the ground, until he came up behind it. Suddenly he pounced, using his nose to flip the shoe to Evan. He touched his nose to Evan's hand then picked up the sneaker and shook it violently before dropping it back to Evan's feet.

It was difficult to talk this way... but hopefully Evan understood Kiyo's plan. If he didn't, Kiyo was sure Evan could supply him with a better one. He was the more experienced hunter after all. Kiyo sat back on his haunches, his ears pointed forward toward Evan attentively, and waited for the vampire's consent or revision.
Evan laughed at the little nod and canine grin. "Of course you are. Silly question."

He waited to see what direction Kiyoshi wanted to head off in and was surprised when his partner headed back to his clothes. "So...you had dinner in your pocket? Smart thinking." Evan watched with eyebrows raised as Kiyo trotted over with one of his shoes in his mouth. "Pardon me if I don't share that meal with you...not much blood in it."

Kiyoshi dropped the shoe down onto the ground in front of him and then, after backing him up some, placed a paw on his foot. Evan nodded, thinking he understood that gesture well enough. Kiyo then cirled around behind the footwear, taking the ferocious shoe unaware, pouncing on it from behind. His companion flipped it toward him and then picked it up and shook in his mouth.

"Well that'll teach it." Evan couldn't help but smile at the whole scene.

"Okay let me see if I get this straight. When we find something you are going to sneak around behind it and then pounce on it. Then herd it toward me? We'll finish it off and then its dinner time?" He looked at Kiyo to see if he got all the parts correct. "If I messed something up then just shake your head no and I will go through the plan piece by piece until we get to the part you see going differently. Okay?"

Settling the shoe back next to the other one in Kiyoshi's pile of clothes, Evan smiled. "Or it could mean that these hurt your feet and you would like another pair of shoes. If so then we can go shopping after dinner."
Kiyoshi had suspected Evan would get his idea. Not because Kiyo was clear, but because Evan was smart. Kiyo whuffed a soft laugh at Evan's suggestion that his shoes were uncomfortable as his partner picked his footwear up and placed it back near the rest of his clothing. It was a little gesture but Kiyo liked it.

He moved back over to Evan and leaned against him, four feet of wolf, much bigger in this form than he ever was as a human. It was a little disconcerting to Kiyo, wearing this shape for the first time without being in a full moon frenzy. He was still trying to adjust and yet at the same time it was very familiar.

Standing straight again he opened his jaws up. His nostrils flared as he tasted the air around them, let the flavors mingle and drift over his tongue and through his nostrils. He closed his eyes briefly; there were so many delicious scents in the forest, many of them edible. He could sense the passage of time as they flowed over his taste buds. A rabbit had crossed this path not long ago; Kiyo could tell where it had gone. He let his senses expand, taking in the forest around them. It wasn't far away, even now. He could hear the flutter of its little heartbeat. He wanted something bigger though. They could handle it.

He smelled raccoons, not the best eating, more rabbits, woodchucks, skunks... smaller game for smaller animals. Finally he filtered through the litter and found the meatier smells. Horses; people rode horses through the woods here. Their odor was strong and covered with human scent, as well as oiled leather. Deer. That was what he wanted. There had been many nearby.

Kiyo touched his nose to Evan's hand and headed off in the direction of one of the fresher deer scents. He didn't stick to the trail and he didn't move so quickly that Evan couldn't keep up but he didn't go slowly either. Evan was a two thousand year old Native American. If anyone on two legs could quietly make his way through the forest at a normal pace without using supernatural powers it was Evan.

The scent carried for miles. Kiyo's nose was that sensitive; as they moved he filtered through several deer scents at once, making adjustments and course corrections to follow stronger and stronger trails. Finally he found one that was the strongest, and followed that exclusively.

The trail wound them downwards, down a short hill that took them to a small pond hidden behind some trees. The scents were abundant here but Kiyo stuck to the one. The deer, a doe, wasn't far now. He could taste it. He stopped and looked at Evan, then turned and pointed off behind a strand of bushes with his nose. The deer was back there, in a clearing, grazing. Kiyo dropped to his belly and moved off a few feet, preparing to circle around. He kept an eye on Evan, waiting to see where the vampire would choose to conceal himself so that Kiyo could flush their prey in the right direction.
Evan waited until Kiyoshi found something that he wanted to eat. When his partner started of onto whatever trail he had picked up, Evan followed along. They set a good pace through the forest. He was pretty sure that he was slowing Kiyo down, the weakest link and all that. However, he did his best to keep up the pace, going as quickly as he could without thundering through the woods like a drunk weekend warrior.

At first Evan had no idea what Kiyo was after. There were a few faint scents in the forest that he could smell but his companion seemed to pass by many of the ones that he had thought would have what his partner was tracking. It was obvious that Kiyoshi was going after something different. Evan suspected that the something was bigger than the smaller animals nearby. Eventually he caught the scent and signs of a deer. He would have been able to track it with ease at this point but Kiyo's noise was certainly better and following his partner was definitely faster.

They came to a pond and he could smell the animal clearly now. He could hear it moving among the bushes just on the other side of the water.

Looking down at his companion, Evan smiled. He knew the plan. Evan looked around him and found a large tree with a long hanging branch. He slowly pulled himself upward, careful not to make much noise. Settling himself on the edge of the branch, he looked down at Kiyoshi and gave him a thumbs up sign.

((OOC: Sorry it was short but there was the following and the hiding. Maybe there will be more words for the killing and the eating. ))
Kiyo could hardly believe they were doing this. That he was about to do this. He'd never hunted like this, with his own mind in control. He wasn't foolish enough to deny he'd always sort of wanted to, to see what it was like. To eat meat that wasn't out of a package from the store when he was aware and could enjoy it.

It made him sick if he dwelled on it too much. He, Kiyoshi, was going to kill an animal and eat its raw flesh right here on the floor of the forest. And he had a buddy.

It took him aback some. As he hesitated for a moment he felt a strange sensation overtake him. As if the wolf inside were rolling its eyes at him, taking over the driving. Kiyo's personality receded for a few moments and the wild wolf within took the wheel. He crouched low and stalked into the underbrush making very little noise. With his keen senses he tasted the breeze, knowing without having to look or listen where to go to avoid the deer knowing he was there.

Man and wolf couldn't work in concert, not yet. Kiyo didn't quite know how to let that happen. He was trying though. For once, he wasn't actively fighting the instincts that he felt and that seemed to satisfy them both.

He circled around the deer, getting within ten feet of it before it raised its head and looked around sharply, big ears swiveling this way and that, flashing the white underside of its tail in alarm. By then it was too late. Kiyo burst from the brush, a red and white arrow headed straight for his chosen meal. The deer darted forward; Kiyo followed, changing course in a split second on agile paws.

In the short chase that ensued Kiyo herded the deer in a wide circle around the clearing. Every time it leaped away from Evan's hiding spot Kiyoshi headed it off. When it bounced toward Evan Kiyo let it go. Here and there he darted forward, nipping at its hind legs, avoiding the kicks it sent at his face. By the time he reached the area where his partner waited Kiyo had managed to sever one of the tendons in its back legs with his sharp teeth. The hunt was over for this little doe; it just didn't know it yet.

Kiyo could taste blood and it only urged him on when he thought, somehow, it should make him sad instead. He couldn't be sad though, not when he was following his instincts. He only hoped that when Evan made the kill he would make it quickly and as painlessly as possible.

The wolf inside knew it was strong enough and fast enough to have made this kill alone by now but Kiyo did still have some say in matters. He and Evan were hunting together. He wanted to do this together. Alone, he might suffer anxiety and sorrow and guilt but tonight the poor doe would feed them both. Its life wouldn't be wasted on sport.
Evan watched Kiyoshi slink off into the underbrush, looking silent and deadly. He wondered what his partner was thinking as he moved gracefully around behind the deer. It must be odd, hunting with someone who was not a wolf. Even more so, someone who was a vampire. He wondered how often Kiyo hunted with his pack or if he mostly hunted alone. It seemed, from what Kiyoshi told him, that he preferred to be change forms by himself. It would then stand to reason that Kiyo hunted that way as well.

It was not long before the sounds of a frightened animal broke his revery. He could hear the deer leaping away, halting, running in a new direction. Evan could hear warning snarls from his companion who appeared, from the noises growing louder, to be herding their prey quite well. He would decline to tell Kiyo that he would make a great sheep herder if they ever needed to retire from city and escape to some rural farm somewhere. Saying so might get him in enough trouble that moving would then not be necessary.

The doe burst through the brush and bounded toward freedom...which led right under his tree. Evan waited until she was almost directly under him before he dropped down to the ground. Her steps falted briefly, her senses told her something new was wrong but it was too late and she was running too fast to do anything about it.

Leaning forward, he caught her around the neck. With his strength he held her easily. While waiting up in the tree he had pulled out the large knife he had brought along. Using it , Evan neatly slit her throat. She thrashed in one last effort to fight. Evan lowered her to the ground and bit into her neck above the large wound he had made. With his bite the last ounce of struggle went out of the doe and she closed her eyes. He wished for her a quick calm death as he drank from the wound. When her heart stopped beating, he sat back upright and looked over at his companion.

"She has gone on." Knowing his partner was a gentle person beneath all the fur and fangs, he added. "She did not suffer." A vampire's bite had a calming effect even on animals. It was the only gift he had to give her aside from the quick death.

He bent down to the deer once again and drank. Blood tasted better while warm and it wouldn't stay that way for long. Many vampires disdained animal blood and many claimed that it tasted bad. Evan wondered where that superior attitude came from. To him, animal blood was simply not as filling. It was different. A fish fillet versus a hearty beef stew. The blood of animals was cleaner, lighter, less spoiled by bad living but also less robust. Evan drank until he was full and then he sat up and moved away. He leaned against the tree he had been perched in before and watched Kiyo eat.
Kiyo bounced back a step when Evan dropped silently from the tree, like a dark ghost, smoothly grappling the deer and cutting its throat. The fresh scent of blood, so new, made his hackles rise involuntarily. He bared his teeth for a moment before wrestling with his inner wolf and calming himself. He sat quietly, listening. The deer was no longer in a panic. The fluttering heartbeat stilled as she submitted in Evan's arms. It beat steadily, slowly, and her big brown eyes closed. It beat once or twice more, and then it stopped altogether.

As Evan spoke Kiyoshi nodded his head, then bowed it down in respect to the animal who'd given her life for them tonight. Hunting with Evan was much better than Kiyo thought it would be. Alone, he ravaged a panicked animal until it didn't have the strength to run... that was when the wolf was feeling sporting under a full moon. Otherwise he simply grabbed it by the neck and shook it hard and it died the same way - in terror. At least with Evan the doe had been peaceful.

Kiyo stepped close as Evan drank. Belly down, he assumed the pose of a wolf who thought it might get in trouble. He whined softly. There was no backlash when he touched his nose to the doe's soft, tempting belly. Among his own kind the dominant wolves would eat first and Kiyo would be left to fight for the scraps. Now he got the choicest bits to himself and he was almost a little excited about that. He'd hunted alone before of course but under the full moon he didn't always remember the details.

Now he carefully bit into the doe's belly, his teeth tearing easy through delicate hide and thick fur. A white film of tissue lay between the skin and the muscles of her abdomen; Kiyo stripped it away and then bit eagerly into the muscle layer. Richness flooded his mouth. This meal was out of this world. Farm-raised beef and chicken had a particular taste to them; brought up with drugs and processed foods then butchered and stuffed into plastic and styrofoam. This doe was nothing but wholesome. Her blood was rich to him, clean. Her meat was incomparable. He couldn't buy this in a store, and tonight he could fully appreciate her.

Unable to hold back he buried his muzzle in the hole he'd made in her body, momentarily forgetting Evan was there as all of his senses were awash in the experience of the doe. He made a soft noise of pleasure that came out as a little moan even from the throat of a wolf.

This used to make Kiyo sick. When he was little especially, and his Change was new to him, he'd wake up and try to rid himself of everything he'd gorged on while Changed. Then his own tastes had changed to match and, to his shame, he'd begun eating everything raw. He craved it. He couldn't stomach the acrid burning-and-smoking taste of cooked food any longer. But it was difficult to get meals like this when he was afraid to do it regularly. Or even afraid to shift on his own.

In his mouth the doe's liver melted like chocolate, a choice organ and his very favorite. He knew he must look disgusting. His face was buried in the doe's body cavity; she was not yet long enough dead for her blood to stop running. It dripped over his muzzle, smeared across the bridge of his nose and over one eye. He couldn't help it; returning to human form to eat would have been impractical.

He wondered if Evan could help him butcher this doe. Even someone with Kiyo's legendary ability to pack in a meal or two couldn't possibly finish all of this meat yet he was loathe to waste it. Couldn't it be saved, brought back home with them in bags, and frozen? The idea of eating like this for the next few weeks made Kiyo feel somewhat dreamy.

As he swallowed bite after bite the wild wolf inside became sated and Kiyo felt logic and reason return to the fore. He finally tore himself away from the corpse, licking his lips, and turned his sharp hazel eyes to Evan. Without the presence of his wholly animal alter ego he didn't see Evan as anything but partner and lover. Someone who had accepted him, who was looking at him without fear, without judgement, without disgust.

How could Evan find it within him to accept Kiyo as he was? When he was so clearly a monster? To not only accept but to care? Kiyo lowered his head, leaned against Evan. Suddenly he wanted to be back on two legs. He wanted to talk to Evan and tell him how he felt. To thank him.
Evan sat back and watched his companion eat his fill. It had been a long time since he had hunted with a wolf at his side. His mind wandered back to those days and the beautiful white wolf that was so prominent in his early memories. Margosha ran with him, often times as a wolf, tracking prey through the forests of pre-industrial America. They hunted human prey and sometimes animals. His Creator was a more dainty eater; Evan thought with some amusement. She had only needed blood; however, and ate in human form. They rarely killed even an animal but when they did Evan insisted that they find someone who could use the meat.

Kiyo seemed content. It was hard to tell precisely what his partner was feeling at the moment but there did not appear to be any distress or discomfort in his current form. It seemed that things and gone more smoothly than his companion had feared. He hoped that was true. He would ask when Kiyoshi was better able to answer.

As his partner started to slow down on his meal, Evan realized he should have brought something to save the rest of their prey. He had not properly thought this through which was unusual for him. Perhaps it had been such a long time; he was out of practice. Maybe he just thought the Kiyo would somehow manage to eat the entire thing. It would seem that even his companion's legendary appetite had its limits.

When his partner turned toward him and then came over to lean against him, Evan draped an arm over his back. He bent his forehead down to Kiyo's and then leaned back and smiled. "Feel better?"

Climbing back to his feet, he went to the pond and washed the blood from his hands and arms. The blood on his shirt was now dry and starting to itch but at least it didn't show up; he had wisely opted to wear black. In his mind it had seemed likely that there would be some blood involved in the evening; Evan was glad that it had not been his own.

Standing back up again, he said. "I can fly to the nearest store and get something to preserve the rest in. Do you want to start preparing it or would you like to run around some more?" Kiyo had convinced him to bring silver just in case he couldn't change back into his human form. He hoped that it wouldn't be necessary. He didn't want to hurt his partner nor did he want that to be part of Kiyo's memories.

Evan stripped off his shirt and dunked it in the water; the rest of him should follow but he would start with the shirt. He scrubbed it vigoriously while being careful not to tear it and then twisted it between his hands to wring it out. Coming back to the tree, he reached up and laid the shirt over the lowest branch.

Turning back to Kiyo, he smiled. "More frolicking?"
Kiyoshi rested his forehead against Evan's. Yes, he needed to change back so he could say all the things he wanted to say to Evan. He nodded when Evan asked how he felt; yes, he felt better... at least he was no longer afraid that something would go horribly wrong and he'd injure his partner. He was mostly in control now, and had been sort of in control during their hunt.

When Evan went to the pond Kiyo went along with him. He dunked his face into the water and tried to wipe off the blood with his paws but that got him muddy in addition to being bloody, so after a moment he just jumped into the pond, his thick fur insulating him, and swam for a minute until he was mostly clean. He got out away from Evan and shook the droplets of water from his coat so that they went flying and then rejoined the vampire as he hung his shirt from the tree.

Kiyo touched his nose to the deer's corpse when Evan gave him the option of preparing it or running around. He was done being a wolf. He wanted to be Kiyo now. He was gratified that Evan seemed to understand his thoughts; Kiyo didn't want to waste any of the meat the deer provided. He had made a pretty good dent in it but this could still feed him for some time. He picked up Evan's knife, which was on the ground beside the doe, and held it between his teeth.

His point was pretty clear and Evan understood it. Once the magpie had flown away Kiyo returned to the trees and managed to shift back to his usual form. Of course, he was quite wet and immediately got chilly. He belatedly realized he had left all of his clothing at their starting point, which by now was several miles away. Oh God. He might have to tromp naked through the forest to get his clothes back.

Teeth chattering, he knelt on the ground, his long hair at least covering him some, and tried to do as he'd said he would. Of course, he reflected, he had no idea whatsoever how to butcher a deer. He'd never done this before!

He had eaten many of them though, so he knew he had to separate hide and tissue from muscle and muscle from bone. How hard could that be?

Very hard, was the answer ten minutes later. He had several bits of hide and tendon, some meat, and about fourteen new cuts on his hands where he'd slipped with the knife after having gotten the handle bloody. He sighed. He wasn't very good at any of this. Why was the Native American buying freezer bags while the citified idiot cut open the carcass again? Oh right, because he was freezing his ass off, naked in the middle of the woods, without a clue where he even was.

He was really starting to wonder what the hell Evan saw in him.

Kiyo did his best with the deer. while shivering violently. He was far too distracted to Change again and besides, he was still sore from the first two times. He just prayed that Evan would return quickly and rescue him from truly fucking up this poor deer.
Evan couldn't help but smile at wolf Kiyo with the handle of the knife in his mouth, looking all determined. It was adorable. He could easily forget that his companion was both capable and dangerous when he looked so damn cute. "I'll leave you to it then."

Pulling on his damp chilly tee shirt, he changed forms and flew up and out of the Perserve. Luckily the wooded area was not far away from everything modern and convenient. The nearest drug store was not that far away. They had become almost like Starbucks with one on every corner. Tonight that was really very handy.

He landed and changed between two large SUVs and then walked in the store. First he found the ziploc bags and the took a quick look around the aisles to see if there was anything else that they might find useful. He picked up a small packet of sanitary wipes, another tee shirt and a recycable bag. (The bag in the darkest colour he could find, which in this case happened to be a dark brown. )

Having paid for his purchases, Evan went outside to find one of his two large vehicles had moved on. He went around back and crouched down behind the dumpster and some cardboard boxes, hoping he didn't draw attention to himself. If someone thought he looked creepy, dangerous or homeless ducking down near the trash, he could only imagine what they would think if they saw him become a bird and pick up his shopping bag and fly off with it.

Thankfully he seemed to have managed to evade notice. Evan winged his way back to Kiyoshi with a burden that an actual magpie would not have been able to carry, despite most of the items being fairly light by themselves. Even as a vampire his little wings were getting a workout. He was definitely not flying home this way.

Evan landed in the tree, dropping the bag on the ground near Kiyo so that he could change back. He came over and knelt next to his partner and looked down at the progress he had made. Evan expressed his opinion in a soft grunt of approval before turning to look at Kiyo.

"Should have thought this through a little more, huh?" His lover was naked, bloody and shivering. He moved around behind Kiyoshi and leaned against him, wrapping his arms around his partner's chest. "I can fly back and get your clothes. Won't take long."

Evan emptied out the recycle bag, glad now that he had thought to get it. He handed the plastic bags to Kiyoshi. "I'll be back." He stripped off his shirt again and handed that down to Kiyo. It wasn't much but at least it was something. It was now mostly dry and still warm from his own body heat.

"I might not be able to bring your shoes though." Evan warned as he stood up and moved a foot or so away. "We can always pounce on them again later." He teased and then changed forms again. He promised himself that he would not let Kiyo know how hard two such flights were for him. He was super magpie; he could do anything.

"Back soon." He croaked as he flew off in the direction of Kiyo's clothes with the empty bag clutched tightly with his feet.
Kiyo had made a little more progress by the time Evan returned, heralded by the flapping of wings. He dropped a bag next to Kiyo and then changed forms, his own transition so seamless and effortless that Kiyo couldn't help but feel a little jealousy.

Evan came over to him and seemed to approve of Kiyo's work so far. Kiyo leaned into the warm arms around him with a little sigh and shook his head.
"I guess I could have planned it better," he mumbled. Then he added, "Th... thank you," with chattering teeth when Evan offered to bring his clothing back.

Kiyo was surprised; he hadn't thought Evan would be able to carry all of his clothing as a bird but he was a vampire too, so perhaps his strength wasn't altered at all in his other shape. He took the box of plastic bags and then gratefully pulled Evan's tee over his head, tugging his wet hair free of it. On Kiyo, the shirt may as well have been a dress. It hung down past his hips and covered him to his thighs. It was a little damp yet but it was better than nothing against the chill of the night. Kiyo had never yearned for sweatpants and a sweatshirt so badly.

Inspecting the rest of the items Evan had brought Kiyo unwrapped the package of wipes and cleaned his hands of blood, then the handle of the knife. Carefully he continued his task of carving up the doe, this time with slightly more success as he was learning how to do it as he went, and the knife was no longer slippery.

He was still shivering, which made his task more difficult. He was grateful that neither of them had to work at all tonight; Kiyo wanted nothing more than to go home with Evan, cuddle up under a mountain of blankets, and rest. This had been a physically and emotionally taxing night. He couldn't speak for Evan but he was drained. He didn't think Evan would mind - at least he hoped not. He just wanted to feel comforting arms around him, and close his eyes for a bit, and listen to Evan's heartbeat, slow and familiar.
Evan found Kiyo's clothes and then stuffed them into the bag. Maybe it would be better to simply run with them. It wouldn't take much longer than if he flew. He suspected that he might have to stop halfway and rest. He was a strong little bird but he still weighed very little. Getting Kiyo's clothes off the ground would take some serious flapping.

He looked at the pieces of fabric in his hand for a moment and then sorted out a solution. Evan wrapped Kiyo's pants around his waist several times and tied them on like a belt. He then poked his head through the shirt and left it around his neck. This had to be one of the more ridiculous looks he had sported...this decade. Now the weight was distrubuted more evenly along his body. It made him a slightly more chubby magpie but the clothing would shift with him and the extra weight would be negligiable. It was much better than dragging a full bag of clothes with his feet.

That thought led him down to Kiyoshi's shoes. He couldn't wear those and he doubted fitting them over his ears would allow them to change with him. Not to mention that was more silly than even he was willing to appear, even here alone in the woods.

Ah well, he had warned his companion that he might not be able to bring them back.

Stopping before he reached the pond, Evan pulled off the pants and the shirt and tucked them back into the bag. He walked the rest of the way and then set it down next to Kiyoshi. "Here you go. Special Air Delivery."

Evan knelt down next to Kiyo and started helping put the meat in the ziploc bags. Once they were done and had those stacked into the larger bag, he looked over at his companion. Normally hunters would take the meat home and let it drain of blood for a while before cutting it into pieces; of course they normally did not eat their meat raw either. Evan suspected Kiyo would enjoy it much better this way. Knowing his partner's appetite, he also suspected that it wouldn't last much more than a few days, longer if Kiyo only ate it when he wasn't at work.

"What would you like to do now? Stay here, take a chilly swim? Go home and take a not so chilly bath?"
Kiyo looked up from what he was doing when Evan set his clothes down next to him. "Thank you," he said softly. He wasted no time in getting dressed, taking Evan's shirt off and setting it down next to the bag. He'd noted there had been an extra tee there, and he assumed Evan had bought it for himself.

Fixing the rest of the deer was time consuming but it went by quickly enough, although Kiyo's hands and feet were freezing by the time they were done. There was a lot left over; Kiyo was happy to see all of the freezer bags brimming full with venison. Nothing would be wasted; he would have many more meals... this week.

Evan spoke again and Kiyo looked up once more, feeling very insecure. He didn't have to think about an answer. He lurched forward and threw himself into Evan's arms, wrapping his own around his partner's slim waist.

"I just wanna stay with you," he said. Then he peeked up at Evan. "Maybe someplace warmer."

He hugged Evan hard. Kiyo wasn't sure when exactly he'd stopped thinking of Evan in terms of being a vampire, if he'd ever thought of him that way. Maybe when they'd first met. He was just Evan. The person who didn't care that Kiyo was a werewolf... or that he was everyone's doormat.

"Thank you," he said to Evan. "For everything."

He meant everything. Evan had suggested this little outing but once Kiyo had agreed to it Evan's support hadn't stopped there. He'd helped Kiyo every step of the way. Emotionally, physically. Kiyo didn't know what he'd done to deserve Evan or why Evan cared about him. He just wanted him to keep caring.

He rearranged himself so that he was kneeling over Evan's legs and kissed his partner gently, a little uncertainly. Evan might not want to kiss him after having seen him as a wolf, with his face buried up to its eyeballs in viscera. He pulled away quickly just in case that was so but he stayed where he was, holding tight to Evan, letting his lover decide where they went from here. If Evan had a desire to go back out Kiyo would go back out, anywhere. A club, the movies. It didn't matter.

He feared that Evan would tire of having such a clingy partner so most nights he did try very hard not to smother him but tonight Kiyo felt especially burr-like. He just wanted to stick himself to Evan and not get separated.