"Uhm No" still means No

Today Evan was Daniel. A man of average height and build. He had unruly sandy brown locks that were longish in the front and cut shorter in the back. There were golden streaks from the sun running through his hair. A deep tan and rugged hands suggested that he worked outside a lot. His eyes were a startling green and he had an easy smile.

He had become a regular at Terminus since the bar opened. Racing games were his favorite.

His true goal was to watch his employees and see how they behaved when he and Guillaume were not around to watch them. The part time manager was currently in charge; Daniel watched him as well. No one was really exempt.

Except for maybe Kiyo. Evan hated the idea of spying on Kiyo. He wanted to let the bartender know he was there but then he could not afford the possibility of his favorite wolf behaving differently around him. Kiyo was not, and never claimed to be, a very good liar. The Evalyn disguise was difficult for them both but necessary.

"Yeah another one." He told Sandra as she came over to his table and raised her eyebrows at his empty beer bottle. He could not abstain from drinking while he was playing a role. He gained no nourishment from it but it did at least serve a purpose.

She brought it back to where he sat and set it down and then lingered with her hip against the table.

"So you hear that we have the new Need For Speed here not too long ago? Have you played it yet?"

Daniel raised his green eyes away from the bar and up to her's. He smiled brilliantly at the waitress and shook his head.
"Nope, I haven't played that one yet. I heard good things about it. I'll have to check it out..." He picked up his beer. "after a few."

Sandra smiled at him and watched him drink. She did not move away even as he took a long swig of the golden beverage. Finally she breathed a sigh and stalked off in the direction of the kitchen. Daniel raised his eyebrows and looked around. He noticed the part time manager looking in his direction. Daniel shrugged and saluted the guy with his beer and then returned his attention to the bar.

It was good to know that the guy understood that Sandra was a flirt and would hang around far too long at tables where she thought she could pick up a date or at least a better tip. Aside from this slightly annoying little quirk, the girl was actually a good waitress. She remembered orders, even complicated ones, better than most, seemed to understand the rules of perfect attentiveness (aside from the cute guy problem). There was a balance that needed to be struck between not too little attention and not too much to be annoying. Sandra got to work on time and worked quickly and without complaint. All in all, she was a keeper.

He watched as Gordon made his way through the crowd and slipped in behind the long metal bar. The young guy was a favorite with the ladies. He was 5'11" or so Daniel would guess. Gordon had short black hair that seemed naturally tousled. (Evan always wondered whether it took him hours to achieve that unconcerned look) His stormy grey eyes could appear both dark or light depending on his mood. And he was a geek that worked out. Not many who were well versed in video games could claim to have a six pack but Gordon could and it showed. That made him the ultimate fantasy of many a gamer chick here. He knew it too. Gordon handled the attention with easy confidence and mild flirtatiousness. So far he had never been rude despite the many phone numbers and drunken propositions he had received.

There was just something about him though. Something about him that Daniel did not like. He had yet to sort it out though. Until he did he would watch and wait. Truthfully, he would do that anyway.

He was not close to the bar. Daniel had chosen his seat carefully. He was at one of the closest tables to the dance floor which put him as close as he could sit to the bar without being 'at' the bar. It was still early in the night so while the music was blaring there was not a huge crowd of people to add to the noise. In fact the dance floor was nearly empty. A human would still not have been able to hear the conversations across the room.

Thankfully for him he was not human.

((OOC: Evan is playing Daniel tonight unless otherwise noted. ))

Stranger 12 years ago
Gordon spotted exactly the person he wanted to see. He weaved his way through the early evening crowd, smiling and waving at the people who called to him or raised a hand in greeting. Gordon did not slow down and talk to anyone of them, leaving a few people to pout at his receding back. He was on a mission.

He slid behind the metal bar; it was like an island in the storm on many nights. It was a safe haven from the pawing, grinding, heedless drunken masses. For a moment he felt some pity for the wait staff who were constantly having to make their way through the throng to get where they were going. It made him glad that he knew how to mix some drinks. He was not as good as Evan and certainly not as good at the flairtender who was on duty in the nightclub area at the moment.

No, Gordon most often tended bar at one of the smaller stations like the traditional gaming concourse or the dining concourse. He rarely had to deal with even half the crowd that Kiyoshi managed to serve hour after hour. The guy's stamina was impressive.

So were the hours he managed to wrack up week after week. Other employees were beginning to joke that Kiyo must sleep here.

He was counting on that eagerness to work to be of help to him now. Well that and how eager Kiyoshi seemed to be to please anyone and everyone.

Sliding up next to the other bartender, Gordon flashed the shorter man his most brilliant, most personal "this smile is just for you" smile.

"Hey Kiyoshi! You are just the guy I was looking for!" He leaned over and started placing empty glasses in a rubber dirty dish bin. It paid to look helpful. See, he was helping. He was such a good friend. There were really not that many empty drinks at the bar. It appeared Kiyoshi had been on top of that too. Oh well, it was the thought that counted, right?

"Uhm, I have a favor to ask." Gordon turned his back on the crowd and leaned against the bar, propping his elbows up on the counter. The slouch made him shorter, brought him closer to eye level with Kiyoshi, all nice and confidential. "Uhm... I really need this friday off. Its urgent." He favored the man in front of him with his best pained "I hate to ask this of you but I have to" expression and then moved on with his dilemma. "I looked at the schedule and you are one of the only people off that day who knows how to mix drinks and could cover for me."

"So would you be willing to do it? It would mean a great deal to me." Gordon smiled and gave Kiyoshi the silent plead complete with arched eyebrows and soulful eyes. At times like these he wished his eyes were brown but, as their actual colour suited him just fine most of the time, Gordon would just settle for thick black lashes and hoped that was enough to pull off the puppy dog look.
Kiyoshi Salinas 12 years ago
It was going to be a busy night at Terminus. Maybe not yet but it usually got there eventually. Kiyoshi was in his element, doing his job smoothly, keeping the main bar running, keeping guests entertained. He looked around now and then for Evan but didn't see him; he wasn't scheduled to be in until later. Kiyo knew he shouldn't be so clingy but he missed Evan when he wasn't around. It had been a little while since their last real date and Evan had mentioned something this weekend. Kiyo was looking forward to it; he hummed softly as he worked.

"Hey Gordon. I am? You do?" Kiyo lifted his eyebrows curiously at his coworker, wondering what was up. Gordon wasn't unfriendly to him but Kiyo wouldn't have expected to be the person Gordon came to in a time of need.

The reason became readily apparent though, as Gordon asked him to fill in a shift for him on Friday. The same Friday Kiyo already had plans for, and coincidentally his only day off this week, having already agreed to fill in a shift for one of the servers, Julie, whose grandmother was in the hospital. Kiyo had never waited tables before but he was more than willing to try.

"What kind of urgent?" he asked warily. He didn't want to break his date with Evan but if Gordon really had an emergency he was sure Evan would understand.

"I have plans, so I don't think I'll be able to," he warned. Short of a natural disaster, he didn't intend to break their date.

Kiyo kept his voice low, sort of disapproving of the fact that Gordon chose now, during his shift, to approach this topic. He liked to be professional when he was behind the bar, crowded or not. Couldn't this have waited until he was on a break or something? Still, he tried to look apologetic. He'd have no problem helping out but this was a really bad time for it.

As usual though Kiyo had a tough time giving a flat out no. Maybe Gordon would see how reluctant he was and drop the subject. It should be obvious that Kiyo had something going on of his own; normally he'd never have a Friday off. It was a busy night and the bar generally used the heck out of its only flairtender on weekends. This would, in fact, be Kiyo's first Friday off since the opening of Terminus. It wouldn't have mattered to him but Evan was involved. Therefore it was of utmost importance that Kiyo keep his one night off.
Evan Talkingwater 12 years ago
Daniel nursed his second beer while he pretended to watch the dance floor, and actually paid attention to the conversation going on at the bar. If he kept his drink no where near empty then hopefully Sandra would let him alone.

Gordon was giving Kiyo the thousand watt smile. It was obvious to Daniel that the guy wanted something. Gordon didn't even take very long to get to the point. He must have felt that it was almost a sure thing that Kiyo would say yes to whatever he planned to ask.

When the young man asked Kiyoshi to work for him on Friday, Daniel nearly choked a laugh into his drink. He knew exactly where Kiyo would be on his day off and it was not going to be here covering Gordon's shift. Call him overconfident maybe but he just didn't think his werewolf would cancel on him without a good reason.

Then Gordon said it was urgent and that made Daniel frown behind his beer bottle. Kiyo might be persuaded to cancel if the emergency sounded dire enough. The bartender liked to help people; it was an adorable trait most of the time.

He was not so sure he would think it so cute if Kiyoshi canceled on him to help Gordon. He would forgive his little wolf but he wouldn't be very happy about it. Gordon would definitely get the shitty schedules for the next month and a half, especially if he found out that emergency was not real.
Stranger 12 years ago
This was not going as well as Gordon had hoped. Kiyoshi was usually quite willing to do anyone a favor. Did the guy just not like him? No, he was pretty sure that wasn't it. Not that it wasn't possible but usually you could tell when someone truly disliked you. Besides he got a certain vibe off the flairtender that made a person like him generally very attractive to Kiyoshi's kind. He was confident, decisive, assertive if necessary and could be friendly and easy going when it was not. Gordon had yet to meet a submissive personality that did not find those traits very appealing, in either friends or partners.

Then the reason became clear, Kiyoshi had plans for Friday. Gordon had heard through the employee grapevine that the guy had a nice bubbly blond gamer chick for a girlfriend. She had been seen coming to meet him several times here at work.

Funny he could have sworn that Kiyoshi was gay. Oh well, sometimes you really couldn't tell.

His fellow employee had not said, no, exactly though it was strongly implied. That gave him some wiggle room to continue to ask. Gordon bit his lip and looked down at the floor. He supposed it made him look like he did not want to discuss his problems, a very private person and all. There was plenty of truth to that; he did not like people getting too close to him. He had learned not to rely on proclaimed friendship and love; it was always a lie.

Growing up in foster homes had also taught him how to prevaricate with the best of them. The best plan was to have some truth in the mix. He could not say he was visiting some sick relative when someone might potentially know that he was a kid from the system and did not have any sick relatives to visit. Besides that tale was pretty cliché anyway.

"I should have been more prepared but it just sort of slipped up on me. I've been working here to make as much extra money as I can but, well..." Gordon looked up and gave Kiyoshi a sort of helpless shrug. "I have a term paper that is a large, gigantic, chunk of my English grade in college and if I don't have it done then I will probably fail. If that happens then I will lose my scholarship and I can't afford to go to school without it."

That was all true enough. He wanted to do something with his life. He was in college on a scholarship and that term paper did mean a lot toward his grade. Of course he had finished it a week ago. Gordon did not mess around when it came to his future. No one was going to carry him through this; he didn't have a rich daddy to pay his bills for him while he partied away his college years and changed his major half a dozen times so that he didn't have to go out into the real world and work for a living.

No, he lived in the real world and had ever since he could remember. His parents were worthless shits who couldn't manage to take care of themselves much less their kid. His mother had occasionally pretended to love him when she wasn't passed out drunk but it had been a lie. Even at the age of five he had known that. If she had truly loved him then she would have fought for him when child services had come to take him away from her and his verbally abusive dad. Instead she said he was 'better off' going into foster care.

Right, better off.

Gordon brought his thoughts back to the present instead of thinking about his useless fellow students and their nice Disney-esque lives. Yeah, one day he could be his own Daddy Warbucks, except with more hair and a better wardrobe.

He looked over at Kiyoshi and said. "If you could postpone your plans then I would happily take one of your days next week. Maybe you could have two days off in a row or something and really relax for a change." Gordon placed a sympathetic hand on the other bartender's shoulder. "You really work too hard Kiyoshi. I wouldn't ask this of you if it weren't important but seriously. You should take a break sometime."

And maybe not give your off time to some waitress who claims to have a sick grandmother. Really,it was so cliché that it was pathetic. Of course she came to Kiyo with that sad ass story because no one else would have fallen for it or cared.

Just like he had done and for the same reasons. If he had more morals then perhaps he would feel guilty or care that he was using someone. Really, though you either use or get used. That was how life worked.

((OOC: Obviously these are Gordon's assumptions and while he might be right on some, or almost right, he is obviously wrong on others. ))
Kiyo wasn't sure what to make of Gordon's request. He focused in on the man, listening to his heart, his breathing, looking for any cues that would tell him anything about Gideon's tale. Something was wrong though. He expected an elevated heart rate, faster breathing. Either of those would have indicated some kind of stress to him, whether from the situation Gordon found himself in or perhaps an untruth. His demeanor was calm though. He didn't scream 'urgency' to Kiyo.

Kiyo wavered. Gordon should have written his paper on time. Julie couldn't help her grandma being in the hospital but Gordon could have managed his time better. Kiyo had been working all week and was already giving tomorrow night up for Julie. If he worked Friday too he'd miss his date with Evan and work ten days straight.

"I don't know," he said, still not convinced.

If Gordon was so close to failing his class, shouldn't he have taken steps to repair his grade before getting to this point? Kiyo should help him, really... but, but... Evan!

Suddenly Gordon pushed him a little, in a way Kiyo supposed was meant to be pleading. Kiyo thought it was maybe just a little insincere. Gordon had never expressed any concern about Kiyo's over attendance before. Why be sympathetic now? The hand on his shoulder made him jump slightly. That was not Evan's hand. He didn't want it. He moved away a little nervously, picked up a clean cloth, and began to wipe down the bar. Again.

"I'm really sorry, I cant change my plans," Kiyo said, genuinely regretful. He'd have been happy to help Gordon on another night.

"If I get free a little early I can maybe come in some, but I don't think I'll be able to."

He tried to sound firm but his voice cracked a little and he just sounded desperate instead.
Daniel carefully set the glass bottle down before he broke it. It had been many years since he had last accidentally broken something with his supernatural strength but a bottle was fragile. It stood next to no chance when he wanted to throttle Gordon.

Still, while that might be what he would like to do to the guy who was obviously trying to take advantage of Kiyo's good nature...and ruin his own date night, he could not be there every time his werewolf had to tell someone no. So he sat there and tried not to growl under his breath.

He listened to Gordon's 'emergency' and thought that at least it was not something life threatening. A bad thing, if true, but hardly earth shattering. Besides if it were truly that bad then Gordon could have asked for tonight off or tomorrow night to work on his paper. Those were not the busy nights for the club so it would have been easier for the bartender to find someone to replace him...or if absolutely necessary Gordon could have come to him and asked if there was any way he could simply have the night off.

Daniel, well Evan, would not have wanted to see someone lose a scholarship over a bad term paper and he did understand poor planning. But it seemed to him that Gordon had several nights left to pull out a miracle. He was tempted to go be nosy. It would not be very difficult to hack into Gordon's phone and find out what was really going on...or at least have a good chance at it.

Bad Employer, Bad Bad! Just because he could do something didn't mean he should. With great power comes great responsibility...and all that. Daniel frowned and picked his beer bottle back up. A few moments later he pulled out his phone.

Just a phone, hardly a high tech hacking tool. He would behave. He could just browse the internet while he continued to snoop the old fashioned way. (If the old fashioned way included the supernatural ability to look like just about anyone.)

Kiyo jumped away from Gordon's hand on his shoulder and Daniel winced. He hoped that some day that would not be the werewolf's first reaction to someone touching him. Thankfully Kiyo did not seem to jump when he touched him, arch, moan, writhe even, but Kiyoshi didn't usually jump.

He sat watching the two with his phone forgotten in his hand. Kiyo told Gordon no again though he suggested that maybe if he got free a little early then he could come in and help.

Daniel did not see that happening. He'd sit on Kiyo or find other more enjoyable ways to keep his date occupied before he let him leave their night out to come help someone who could have planned his own schedule better.

Too bad Gordon, guess you will be writing that term paper on your lunch break. Good luck with that. Daniel shook his head at his own sarcastic attitude. Really he shouldn't dislike the guy so much.
Stranger 12 years ago
Gordon frowned at Kiyo and pulled his hand away. He had made a mistake somewhere; played this all wrong somehow. He backed up and raised his hands in the air.

"Hey, I was just trying to be nice...but if you don't want to be touched that's fine." Gordon looked hurt as he backed away. "Do you always do that? Or was it just me?" He tilted his head to the side and watched the other bartender curiously.

He had been told no again. There was a half hearted attempt at helping but it was no real help at all. He couldn't freely go to the concert he wanted to go to on the possibility that Kiyoshi might come in and cover part of his shift. He knew Evan would want to a sure replacement before he let Gordon go on a Friday night. That was something he could understand; the man had a business to run after all. It just sucked for him.

There was still hope. He could ask Angelina whether or not she could work for him instead. She was the other bartender who also had this coming Friday off but there was a good chance that she had it off for a specific reason. Gordon had thought Kiyoshi was the more likely choice so he went here first. Still, a shot was a shot.

It still made him a little angry, bitter perhaps. Kiyoshi helped everyone all the time, picking up extra hours, doing extra work, cleaning dishes, rolling silverware and whatever odd job someone might need a hand with around Terminus but he couldn't be bothered to help him. No one ever did. Gordon would have thought he was used to it by now but somehow it still managed to sting. He wasn't worth the trouble even to the guy who wanted everyone to like him.

Gordon sighed. "Whatever, forget about it. I suppose I just won't sleep for a few nights. Its my fault I suppose." He turned around and stared out at the growing crowd of people coming in to spend money and have a good time. "I just thought you would understand. That's all."
When Gordon addressed Kiyo's sensitivity directly Kiyo felt his face burning bright red. He glanced around; the few early birds at the bar had begun to take notice of their conversation and it only added to his embarrassment.

"No, no," he stammered, "It's just, I mean, we're at work and all. You can touch me."

Ugh, that hadn't sounded right at all. Now Kiyo sounded like he was hitting on the other bartender. This was exactly the kind of thing that always got Kiyo in trouble. Gordon was handsome, confident, assertive, things Kiyo was always drawn to. Combined with the guilt he felt for not being able to help it was a whammy that hit him right in the gut.

Gordon's next words surprised Kiyo even more. He hadn't expected a guilt trip. For a moment he was angry but the emotion, unnatural to him in his human form, faded very quickly to be replaced with a sense of utter failure. How could he both keep his promise to Evan and help Gordon? He didn't see how he could. And Evan came first in every regard.

Kiyo shook his head at Gordon earnestly.
"I'm so sorry. Really I am. But I made a promise to be with Evalyn on Friday. It's important to her and I can't simply postpone it. She's already counting on me to be there for her."

All he could do was hope Gordon understood just how sincere he was. Kiyo couldn't break a prearranged commitment. What's more, he wanted to see Evan. More now than ever. He didn't want work to be this way; he was getting along so well here. Gordon wouldn't like him after this though would he. And Kiyo would be responsible for Gordon losing his scholarship just because he couldn't give up one night with Evan.

Kiyo tried not to sound miserable but he couldn't keep the distress from his voice as he apologized again.

"I really am sorry. I'd help if I could. I do understand. I don't want you to fail your class. Isn't there anyone who can help you? Have you asked Evan for some time off? I'm sure he'd understand, and tomorrow shouldn't be so busy. You could go early and work on your paper? I can take care of your bar for you, clean it and put stuff away. I can tend for you too if Evan could take over here for a few hours."

That would stretch them thin but Gordon could work on his writing tomorrow, Thursday, instead. It could work.
Daniel looked down at his phone and went to Facebook. How private was Gordon? Did he have a page? It turned out that the guy did but he had it so that only his friends could see the it. Well good to know that Gordon was not completely stupid. However there were others with less inhibitions.

Finding Sandra was not difficult. She had a flirty little pose on her avatar; it was part pout and part kiss. Interesting he was not entirely sure how she managed the combination. The nice thing about Sandra, at least from a snooping boss's point of view, was that she posted frequently, about anything and everything. She also did it publicly, not requiring a person to friend her in order to see her life story. Tsk tsk Sandra, really.

He swiped past most of the emotional drama and looked for anything that might be useful. Ah there we go; Sandra mentioned that there was a concert on Friday night but it was a shame she was working. Sucks working at a bar. Really? Well if she felt that way about it he could relieve her of the burden.

Nah, she was just pouting about missing something that she wanted to go to. Sandra was entitled to grouse on her Facebook page. She should probably realize that her employer could read that very public page any time he liked however.

The more interesting thing was that Gordon replied to her. Apparently paranoia only went so far and Mr. Term paper did not count on his technologically savvy boss to be reading Sandra's page. He mentions also having to work but that he was going to see if he could get it off so that he could go.

Really, well that was interesting.

Daniel listened with half an ear to the conversation. Not at all liking the guilt trip that Gordon was putting on Kiyo. The guy did at least back up.

He pulled up the employee schedule on his phone and looked it over. It appeared that Angelina also had the night off. Daniel was betting good money that Gordon had started with Kiyo and had not yet tried to appeal to the little Hispanic bartender who usually worked the Dining Concourse. This meant that he could get to her first.

He put down some cash on the counter, enough to cover the tab and give Sandra a very generous tip. She had earned it; just not entirely in the way she might have thought. He went outside and around the corner of the building texting Angelina as he went. Was she doing anything Friday?

Evan quietly came back in as himself, moving back into the club with a group of people. He kept his head down, staring at his phone until he was safely in the long hallway that lead to the other areas of the club. It was actually closer to Kiyo and Gordon but to see the two of them he would have to lean out around the corner. He would content himself with just listening for now while he waited for Angelina's reply.

Gordon had messed with the wrong werewolf. He might just get that shitty schedule anyway. Yes, it was petty and beneath someone of his age but for some reason Evan was having a hard time convincing himself of that truth.
Stranger 12 years ago
Gordon raised his eyebrows at Kiyoshi's stumbling words. He somehow doubted that his co-worker meant them exactly the way they sounded. He leaned closer again, standing so close to the other bartender to be almost touching but not quite. He leaned down to whisper quietly. "I can?"

Perhaps this relationship with the blond was not all that he expected it to be. Maybe their dating was a front? No, others have talked about how cute they were together, there was mention of kissing. Sure they could still be friends covering up for something they didn't want to tell family and friends but he doubted it. That would be assuming too much just to make what he had first assumed about the flair tender to be true.

It would be more reasonable to assume he had just been wrong the first time.

He stepped back away from Kiyoshi and turned to leave. It was obvious he was going to get no help here so he had better find Angelina before he began his shift. He was pretty sure that she left before he would be done for the night.

Lost in those thoughts, he looked up as Kiyoshi suggested a different plan. There really did seem to be hurt and remorse in the man's voice. Gordon supposed it did truly bother the guy when he couldn't help someone or fix their problems.

"Its okay, Kiyoshi. I will deal with it."

Tilting his head to the side, he stepped closer again and looked at the shorter man curiously. "Are you always so helpful because you don't want people here to know your secret?"

He turned to leave. He would have to hurry down the entire length of Terminus to get to Angelina's station and have any time to talk to her. Gordon hoped she was not going to be as difficult as Kiyoshi. He did not have that much time to banter.

"You always take the full moon off. I imagine it won't take long before the rest of the staff figures that out as well and then your little secret will be out. Won't it?"

Gordon did not look back to see what Kiyoshi thought of his words. He just wanted the other man to know he had figured it out and that he knew. Being a witch or a satanist, or whichever one Kiyoshi was, was perhaps an even bigger secret than being gay. It was no wonder that the man never talked about it. They were north of the bible belt here in Nachton but people still took their religion seriously. Even the ones who didn't still seemed to scorn people who danced around in circles and claimed to believe in magic. That just sounded plain stupid. It was almost as bad as saying you believed in fairies, vampires and the Easter bunny.

Kiyoshi better think twice the next time Gordon asked him for something. He had no qualms with letting this little story get out.

((OOC: Gordon out ))
Kiyoshi bit his lip and didn't say anything else to Gordon about the matter of personal space. It was fairly obvious by now that he was seeing someone. Enough people had seen them together since they often met at Terminus for their dates. Any further question simply shouldn't be asked; Kiyoshi was still pretty private about his personal life. He didn't see a need to discuss his relationship with anyone else.

Gordon had turned to leave and Kiyo briefly wondered why he wasn't amenable to a compromise. Kiyo had plans; he couldn't drop them at 48 hours' notice to work a shift on his only free day that week but he was willing to try and help tomorrow night. Any other night that might have seemed odd to him but by now he just felt too guilty to mull it over.

He was relieved that Gordon was about to go but then the taller man stepped in close and asked about Kiyo's secret.

"I don't... have a secret," Kiyoshi stammered, but Gordon continued.

The other bartender turned to leave so perhaps he didn't see Kiyoshi's normally tan face go pale. He stood there with an empty glass in his hand and suddenly realized he was trembling all over. Gordon couldn't have said anything more devastating to Kiyo, probably without knowing the impact his words had on a person whose deepest fear was never finding anyplace to call home.

In just that one moment Kiyo's semi-idyllic world at Terminus was threatened. He'd thought he was secure here, safe here, but that security was apparently a glass dome and he could see the glass beginning to crack. Gordon was right. Everyone would soon notice that Kiyo had three days off during the full moon each month, and everything would be ruined. Sure, Guillaume and Evan owned the bar but if all of their other employees began to complain about Kiyo's schedule, how could they not listen and do something about it? He would lose his job again, even if they didn't want to let him go.

And Evan... would he want to see Kiyo anymore, given all the problems the werewolf was causing? Not only was he trouble at work but they couldn't even be open about their relationship. Everything was wrong, all wrong!

Kiyo heard a shattering noise and for a moment his subconscious thought it was just the shattering of his little glass castle. Then he heard one of the guys sitting at the bar calling his name.

"Kiyoshi... hey, man, are you okay?"

Kiyo looked down and discovered he'd broken the glass he was holding too tightly. It had shattered all over the floor, a couple little pieces embedded in his hand. The guy who'd spoken, Jeff, was a semi-regular there and looked on with an expression of concern.

"What did he say? It seemed kind of intense."

Kiyo shook his head and bit his lip, glancing at Jeff and looking down.
"Nothing," he answered. "It's okay, it's fine. Sorry."

He retrieved the dustpan and hand-broom and swept up the broken glass, tossing it into the trash.

"Did you cut yourself?" Jeff asked.

Kiyo glanced down at his bloody hand.
"Uh, no," he lied, turning to the sink and running water over his hand until the cuts closed. Wiping his hands dry on a towel he turned and displayed the one that had been holding the glass to Jeff. "It's all good."

It wasn't good. He was shaking almost uncontrollably. He was pale, he felt dizzy, and he wanted to find someplace dark to hide. Maybe he should just leave. He could go tonight. Better to not have to face Evan than to see the disappointment on his face and know he could never be good enough for him. For Terminus. For anyone.

Kiyo tried to breathe deeply, focusing on taking a couple of orders and building the drinks properly. His spinning head was nowhere near the right place. For the first time since taking his job at Terminus Kiyo did the unthinkable, for him - he messed up two orders and broke another glass.

It was the Kiyoshi equivalent of a complete breakdown.
Muaaahaaahaaaa! Evan laughed maniacally in his own mental space. Take that, you little manipulator!

Angelina had texted him back and said that she had nothing that she needed to do on Friday night. He asked if she could come in and add extra drink coverage for the front bar. It was something that very few of the other bartenders got to do. The front was a fast and busy place. There was no time to look up the odd ball drink the guy at the end ordered while making shots for the party of five next to him and the impatient man trying to impress the lady further down who had no idea he even existed, etc, etc... He told her that if she did good helping the guys doing back up then he'd put her up there more often. She could train with him. Working the front bar paid more than the ones in the back. She was all for the upward mobility.

That taken care of, he listened to the exchange between Gordon and Kiyo. His little wolf offered a reasonable solution but the guy said he would take care of it himself. Of course Kiyoshi's suggestion wouldn't work if Friday night was what Gordon wanted off. Which meant he needed to leave quickly and go talk to Angelina. Good luck with that, buddy.

Before he left he said something quiet to Kiyo but it was not quiet enough not to be heard by a vampire that was eavesdropping. He listened to what Gordon had to say and was shocked.

You know you just assume that most people are human. It was normally a safe assumption since most people were, so what was Gordon? He was not a vampire. His schedule said nothing of him needing special night time hours and Evan was pretty sure most of his kind would be extra careful to explain they had another job or some other obligation that meant they could only work nights. If he was a wolf... no, that didn't work either because he would also need the full moon off. Maybe he was a human that knew about werewolves? Perhaps Guillaume could look into that. Evan had no idea how such a thing would even happen. Vampires, aside from the pipe dream having Evenhet, did not explain their existence to humans unless they were safely a familiar first. At least that tended to be Anantya's practice. Was there a werewolf version of the happy fuzzy clan? Some that believed that werewolves and humans could all just sing songs, hold hands and get along? Maybe, how would he know?

What he did know that Gordon had likely rattled Kiyo pretty hard. He slid around the corner in time to see the bartender do something he never did, break a glass. Evan waited until Kiyo had cleaned it up. He was hungry and Kiyo had cut his hand. Fairly deeply too, he could smell the blood from here. Unfortunately it didn't smell tainted and undrinkable to him. It smelled delicious.

Kiyo raised his hand to show Jeff that it was fine. Evan breathed a sigh of relief as the smell of blood slowly began to dilute and fade. He came closer to Kiyoshi and laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. What he really wanted to do was gather his werewolf up in a tight hug but he couldn't afford to do that right here and now.

He leaned down and spoke in a whisper. "I heard that last bit, from Gordon." Evan sighed softly. "It is okay, Little Wolf. Whatever he knows or thinks he knows. It doesn't matter. It will be all right." Very few of the staff would believe Gordon if he told them Kiyoshi's secret. The ones who would, well those would be other werewolves. More than just Kiyo worked here. Gordon would be spilling that rumor at his own risk. "Nothing will happen. Not here." He and Guillaume worked very hard to make this a safe place for supernaturals to work. There were less vampires. In fact there was only one, other than him. They had to be willing to work with werewolves and many of their kind still held a grudge.

The other though, that would be Angelina. She was clanless but he didn't hold that against her. Sure, he could eat her for breakfast and none of his clan would care but he could do that with most of his staff. In truth he had been wanting to get to know her a little better. Perhaps he could convince her to join Anantya if he vouched for her. It would take time. Gordon's interfering might have helped speed that along.

It wasn't everyday he meant a clanless vampire willing to show herself to another of her kind and work with werewolves. But she had heard through a friend of hers that was a lycanthrope that the place was run by a vampire and a werewolf. She figured why the hell not? At least that is what she told him during her interview. If he wanted to kill her then he better do it fast because she'd be gone in a heartbeat. If not, then give her and her friend a job. That made him laugh. He opted for the second choice.

"Go take a few minutes if you like." Evan held up his cellphone. "Get some fresh air. Text your girlfriend. Whatever. I can handle this unruly bunch of misfits" He pointed a finger at a few of the regulars. "You know who you are..." He turned to smile at Kiyo, tucking his phone away on a shelf beneath the counter. He could read it between drinks orders. Swype with vampire speed was a very good thing as well. Who was going to complain? The boss? He had a feeling that he was safe on that count.
Suddenly Evan was there, his presence comforting and reassuring even if Kiyo was currently worried about the status of their relationship. Kiyo listened to his words and tried to believe them fully but it was hard. Too many jobs had been lost. On top of that he'd never found anywhere he liked as much as Terminus. He really wanted this to be home. He kept hoping for it.

When Evan suggested he take a few minutes to compose himself Kiyo looked at his boss, eyes wide and dewy with big fat unshed tears. He blinked them away quickly before anyone else could see, mumbled an 'okay' to Evan, and headed out from the bar and into the back area. Rather than go into the break room though Kiyo headed for the back exit. He didn't want to run into anyone else right now, particularly anyone who might ask questions. He needed fresh air.

Outside, Kiyo fell back against the wall of the building as a sob escaped him. Oh God, he hadn't realized how badly he wanted this. He didn't want to leave, didn't want to cause trouble. He knew Evan was tying to reassure him and he felt grateful to have someone who actually cared.

Kiyo slid down the wall, bending his knees and dropping his head down. Thus hidden he listened to make sure he was truly alone and then sobbed into his arms, heavy chest-wracking sobs that tore forcefully from him. After a few minutes they subsided. He composed himself, made a quick trip to the restroom to wash the redness from his face, and texted Evan.

I just want to be near you.

It was the truth. Right now he needed security and the best place to feel it was next to Evan. Kiyo headed back to the bar just as he heard Evan's phone chime. He shot Evan a wan smile and resumed his work with shaking hands but far better able to cope with it. Evan was here, he'd be all right now. He didn't want to burden Evan with his personal breakdown. It wasn't fair to Evan.
Evan took orders while he waited for Kiyoshi to return. He occupied the time between new drink requests with new and artful ways to kill Gordon. Lucky for Gordon the night was starting to pick up and the drink orders were coming in a steady stream.

He kept glancing at his phone but it was silent. Damn, he had thought he had been kind of clear, at least as clear as shaking his phone in silent illustration could be, on the fact that he would be willing to text to Kiyo while he was outside.

Maybe Kiyoshi just wanted to be alone for a bit. He could understand that. Evan did his best to not be hurt by it. The fact that Kiyo did not need him at the moment stung but it should make him happy. His werewolf was taking this better than he expected. It wasn't that he thought Kiyo was weak but he knew that a steady job meant a lot to Kiyoshi. He didn't want to leave Nachton and try his luck some place new. Evan could also hope that Kiyo did not want to leave him either.

His phone shook on the table. Evan swiped the screen to unlock it in a fluid movement toward the vodka bottle. He poured it into glass and tapped the button to bring up the text while returning the bottle to its normal resting place.

Kiyo was now standing beside him at the bar once again. His eyes were a little red and slightly puffy. No one on the other side of the bar would notice. He gave Kiyo a big welcoming smile before turning back to mixing his latest order.

As often as he could, when Kiyo was not juggling something breakable, he would lightly touch his companion. A little brush past here to reach for a fruit spear, a warm hand on his back as he passed behind the other bartender, and other such stealthy maneuvers. He stood closer as well, whenever he could manage it.

They had supplies all down the bar and normally if two people were behind it they would spread out and each work a side. Kiyo had been by himself earlier in the evening when it was slower and Evan had taken his place when the werewolf had stepped away. He used that as an excuse to continue standing in the center of the bar instead of just moving down to the far end.

As soon as Kiyo's shift was over he was hauling the man upstairs and then he was going to give him that hug.
Kiyo spent the rest of his shift with Evan behind the main bar. As the hours passed he slowly began to relax. He realized halfway through that Evan was doing it, with hardly a word. It was as simple as a little touch, a brush-up here and there. Without being overt about it Evan was reassuring him, comforting him, and the fact that he was doing it because he cared about Kiyo made the werewolf want to huddle up and cry all over again. Evan was better than he deserved.

He skipped all of his breaks to stay at the bar, not wanting to move away from the little security bubble he felt when Evan was nearby. Kiyo would readily admit that he was also avoiding Gordon and he didn't think the other bartender would show up when Evan was around, since he'd seemed so reluctant earlier to ask Evan for time off.

Kiyo was still afraid to call this 'home.' What scared him was how damn badly he wanted it to be home. The longer he stayed here the more he grew comfortable with the people, the familiar faces, and most importantly Evan. Yet even though he'd considered leaving earlier that night when he was hurting, it had been more painful to contemplate the pain of going away than it was to face the fact that he was just a troublemaker. Did that make him selfish? If he really cared about Evan and about the bar, he'd go. Right?

Yet Evan seemed not to think so, as his words and gestures indicated. Jeff, too, left the bar with a sympathetic pat on the shoulder for Kiyo and a concerned look on his face when he told Kiyo to 'take care, man.' A few of his coworkers also popped in behind the bar to ask him if he was all right after hearing that he'd dropped a glass... okay, two. He grew a little more comfortable by the end of the night when they closed up, realizing that not only Evan was comforting him but his fellow coworkers didn't seem to hate him. Yet. Mostly, it was Evan. Kiyo hurried to finish everything up so they could leave, hoping it as all right that he accompany Evan home. Should he ask? Should he just assume? It seemed likely the offer would be extended, and he hoped so. He didn't want to leave Evan's comforting presence.

By the end of the night he'd relaxed enough to stop jumping and looking over his shoulder for unseen threats. Kiyo knew without having to reflect any more on it that it was because of Evan. The fact frightened him a little... but mostly, it just felt unbelievably good.

((ooc: both out, to continue in residences))