It Might Be A Conspiracy (PM for invite)

Rowan had some time between this shift and the next. It wasn't much, just a few hours, and without Cris at home he was too worried about waking up on time to sleep. So he had come up to Meridian's mall, in his scrubs, ready for work, to snag some coffee and engage in some people-watching. And, he'd admit, he was hoping Cris might at least be able to stop by.

Interestingly, Rowan felt like the tables were somehow turned. Instead of watching people, they appeared to be watching him. He hadn't spent a huge amount of time up here, preferring to go out into the city to socialize, but he'd been here a few times and couldn't recall drawing such attention. He didn't particularly mind, but he did surreptitiously check for the obvious things - food on his face, a stain on his scrubs, gum or worse stuck to his shoe... nothing hit a note.

That was, until he heard Cris's name in a hushed whisper from a passer-by and realized, with an amused chuckle, that they were checking out Christian Bern's Man. Maybe he should have dressed up a little bit more. Ah well. Cris's Man worked in a hospital and wore scrubs. Rowan was who he was. He ordered his coffee, tipped the barista, and found a table a little way down from Barney's to stretch out his legs. He had his backpack with him, just in case something interested him enough to keep him out until it was time to go to work. From the front pouch he pulled out his latest book and began to read, paying just as much attention to the conversations around him as he was to the words on the page.

Aishe 12 years ago
Aishe had just gotten off of work. Kiamhaat was due to leave in just an hour or so, so instead of heading home alone she'd opted to wait for him here at Meridian. Sitting with her cup of hot chocolate she noted the man drawing attention to himself but doing absolutely nothing and watched as he disappeared into Barney's and then emerged again with a cup.

Then she recognized him, although she'd only met him once. That was Rowan. Cris's Rowan! How very fortuitous!

Aishe watched Rowan settle himself down, apparently apathetic about the murmuring that followed him. He pulled out a book and began to read but she was already on her way over, with every intention of interrupting him. It had become very apparent to her that she didn't know Cris's partner well enough at all. Tonight was the perfect night to rectify that.

The old Aishe would never have been so brazen, but that Aishe had been left behind when she'd arrived in Nachton. New Aishe walked up to Rowan's table, slid a chair out, and dropped into it with a cheerful smile.

"Well hello there, Mister Doctor Rowan."

Rowan's eyes peered at her over his book and he lowered it to reveal a friendly return smile, a flash of pearly whites with delightfully pointed canines he didn't attempt to hide. As usual he wore an assortment of studs and hoops in his ear and a little silver hoop in his nose. His short-sleeved scrubs left very little to the imagination, fitted as they were over a broad chest and wide biceps. Rowan wasn't exactly a bruiser, but clearly in life he had not been inactive.

Leather wrist bands graced each wrist, studded with bits of metal here and there. Clearly Rowan did not sacrifice personal style for workplace uniformity. Aishe had suspected as much the first time they had met, though. Remembering the brilliant, beautiful hues around Rowan she looked at him with her empathy...

...and saw nothing at all. Not a single color. Not a hint. She was perplexed until he lifted one eyebrow, smile not wavering an inch, and tilted his head curiously at her. Then he said something softly and Aishe was treated to a burst of riotous color, lovely and very similar to what she'd seen before. Openness, friendliness, cheerfulness, someone who cared for people, helped them, nourished and healed them, and was totally comfortable with who he was.

"You're looking gorgeous tonight."
Rowan Murphy 12 years ago
Rowan noted someone sitting down at the same table as him. He heard the greeting as he lowered his book a bit, and then all the way. Cris's daughter sat across from him, smiling brightly. Before he could respond her eyes seemed to look past him a bit. He lifted an eyebrow at her curiously and then remembered she was, like Cris, and empath.

He dropped his subterfuge once he realized that, giving a soft
"Oh, right," of remembrance. He'd had it up while more eyes than usual had been on him; it was his habit now to keep his feelings close to him when out in public, out of respect for Cris. He didn't want to make his partner's life difficult by broadcasting to the empathic universe every time he remembered Cris's most recent kiss, or the last time they'd been in bed together...

...he snapped his subterfuge back up, grinning apologetically at Aishe.

"And hello to you, Miss Aishe," he said, putting his bookmark in place and tucking his book back into his backpack. He leaned forward on his forearms and brushed his hair away from his face. "Excellent night for a cup of coffee, don't you think?"

Cris's child was dressed casually in somewhat tomboyish clothing. She wore a pair of black cargo pants that fit snugly at her hips but looser at the knee. Her small waist was accentuated by a dark green fitted knit sweater, but Aishe wasn't built on slender lines. Her body was shapely, real... exactly the sort of woman you'd want if you were looking for 'fit' without meaning 'anorexic runway model.' She was very pretty. Not a bombshell by any stretch, but cute.

"As are you," he returned her compliment with a smile, knowing she meant his aura and not necessarily him. "So what do you see?"

Did she see the same colors Cris saw, or did Aishe work with another palette?
Aishe 12 years ago
"It's a wonderul night... for hot cocoa," Aishe agreed, altering the statement slightly to suit her opinion.

Aishe watched as Rowan's aura grew faintly pink and then suddenly flared sharp-edged red for a moment before his shield sprang back into place and he was a blank slate once more. Maybe if she were older she could get more emotion from him but he was obviously more adept at hiding than she was at seeking. The reason for his subterfuge, however, was apparent. Confirmed, too, by his sheepish apologetic smile.

"Oh, flattery," she said, perking up a little bit at the rejoinder. "I can handle that."

She laughed softly at Rowan's question.
"I imagine most of what Cris sees," she said, "but if you need details... good colors. Blues, greens, yellow, silver and purple. Colors that tell me you really believe in your job." She paused, allowed herself a sly little smirk, and added, "and really hope to see a certain someone up here."

She nodded her chin at his scrubs and picked up her cup to sip at it.
"So are you getting off of work, or just heading to?"
Rowan inclined his head in agreement with Aishe's beverage of choice. Coffee, cocoa, as long as they were all happy then it was good. He laughed out loud when Aishe acknowledged his compliment in her own straightforward way, drawing attention from the people at the nearby tables. Still chuckling to himself he ignored them.

He nodded his head while Aishe described the colors she saw, and they sounded very much like what Cris told him about. Interesting, that the ability seemed to have passed from Cris to Aishe. He had gathered that she was relatively young, but he wasn't sure what that was in relation to. Rowan supposed he considered a century or two to be young but Aishe somehow didn't have the air of being two centuries old. Or even one century old. It was hard to say though.

He sure wished his own empathy worked like Cris's and Aishe's did. In all his years he'd never met anyone who suffered painfully when they used their gifts. He'd become good enough at reading emotions without empathy but it would still be useful to have it more often. He didn't offer up any information about his own abilities. Centuries of being private about his personal life whle still socializing had become habit. Rowan loved Cris and would tell him anything - he didn't quite know where Aishe stood yet, but he liked her so far.

Aishe asked him another question and Rowan abandoned his train of thought.
"Just going, sadly," he said. "I'm going to miss Cris. I finished a shift about two hours ago and I've got to go back in for another."

He hadn't meant to sound so wistful but he knew he did. Rowan knew a lot of other couples who had far more time together; regular schedules, evenings and weekends, that sort of thing. Lately he'd started to think he was missing out even more than he'd anticipated. Work was work... was that really how he wanted to define himself? He'd been Dr. Murphy for a very long time now. He thought perhaps it was time to consider balancing that person out with something additional.
Aishe 12 years ago
Oh, Rowan was cute when he laughed like that, Aishe thought. She enjoyed his openness. There was no attempt to disguise his amusement at her words, and he didn't seem terribly apologetic when the people around them looked. She watched as the lines around his eyes deepened and crinkled as he laughed, his pale reddish eyelashes, long and thick, brushing his cheek bones. When his eyes opened again she finally saw what color they were, gray and green mixed together.

The slight sense of loss in his accented voice was plain when he spoke of missing Cris. Aishe considered the time between shifts and remembered Rowan worked at the hospital.

"They keep you busy there," she observed. "I'm amazed you and Cris have time to see each other."

Cris was busy too, and Aishe suspected Rowan was not the only one who sounded a little bit forlorn about his schedule. She resolved to see if she could pick up a shift or two from Cris in the next few weeks. She loved her Creator, although she'd never actually said it in those words. She wanted him to be happy and the man across from her made him happy. It was clearly mutual.

"How long have you been a doctor?" She asked, curious. Had Rowan been doing this for ever and ever? Had he ever leeched anyone? Hopefully he wouldn't mind the question.
"They need doctors," Rowan said with a shrug. He wasn't going to deny them that. Since taking on the temporary Department Head position he'd been doing a lot more paperwork and board meetings than he liked but they still needed doctors. Sadly, they didn't have any more so now he was trying to pack both jobs into one. It was slightly more stressful now but he had good co-workers who did their best to help him out, and the part-time doctors had taken on a few more shifts here and there.

Aishe looked curious about his occupation and Rowan gave it some thought. He couldn't make up a whimsical story, not when Cris's child was the one asking, tempting though it may be. Oddly enough, he mused, Aishe might just be the first woman he'd spoken to in a long time whose approval actually mattered to him and he wasn't planning on sleeping with later. Go figure.

"It's been a few hundred years now," Rowan said after a moment's thought, "although I'd be hard-pressed to say what we did in the eighteenth century was 'doctoring.'"

He sipped at his coffee. "It was something I was interested in so as the field made advances I followed them. Got degrees and certifications when I could, and eventually just gave in to the fact that this was what I enjoyed."

He looked at the woman across from him, who watched him with eager interested eyes, all five foot and change of her. She was tiny, really, at least a foot shorter than Rowan, and yet he found himself not wanting to be judged by her. He rolled his eyes at himself, inside. Jensen would have a field day with this if he knew Rowan was suffering from a lack of his infamous self-confidence over this.

"What about you?" He asked Aishe, pushing that thought away. "Have you worked with Cris for a long time? How did you meet?"

Cris had told him some of the story, including a recounting of a mission gone wrong in which Aishe had been bitten by a rogue vampire, but they hadn't really gone into detail. Something about getting distracted... hmm.
Aishe 12 years ago
Aishe listened to Rowan speak, fascinated. A million questions popped into her head as he talked, his words sometimes difficult to decipher through his heavy accent but not impossible. Aishe was not an expert on accents by a longshot but she couldn't pin Rowan's down to any one country, much less region. Just when she was certain he was Irish or Scottish she suddenly heard German. Then when she was convinced of that she realized there was French in there too, and a touch of Britain. How was it possible for one person to have such a garbled accent?

"You're an anthropologist's dream," she said to him, not meaning just his accent but his experience as well. "Then again a lot of people around here are."

Rowan returned the question she'd tossed at him with one of his own, and Aishe smiled.
"I was lucky to meet Cris. I came here to Nachton looking to be a part of this," she gestured all around her with her hand. "Evenhet, in particular. I was lucky I didn't get into too much trouble too fast. Cris saved me from making a total fool out of myself and offered to help me. Somewhere along the way I guess he decided I was all right. He offered me a place here, but more importantly a place with him."

Aishe lifted her shoulders, grinning.
"I wasn't going to refuse. He's Cris."

Aishe was happy she could speak so plainly to Rowan. It happened rarely, that she could be open about her Creator and receive understanding in return. Most people looked at her like she was crazy but a handful didn't. Kem, Alfarinn, and now Rowan. Eiryk and Alex too, recently, since Cris had been getting out a lot more. Aishe would have worried much more about Cris if that hadn't been the case.
"Have a few questions about old time medicine, do you? You can pick my brain anytime." Rowan smiled; it wouldn't be the first time he'd been asked questions about outdated beliefs and practices. He didn't mind one bit, he found the subject fascinating himself.

He was certain there was a good deal more to Aishe's story. Cris had said has much, and the way Aishe told it in very vague detail confirmed that. The mall at Meridian wasn't the best place for in-depth personal conversations however, so Rowan didn't press. Nor did he read into it any and wonder if Aishe simply didn't want to discuss it - it was something he might ask about later, maybe. For now he just returned her smile and nodded when she spoke about Cris.

Aishe clearly cared about him. It didn't take an empath to see that. Rowan couldn't help but return her smile, wondering what exactly she was thinking. In the meantime though, it was just pleasant talking to her.

"When exactly did you get here, then?"

Nachton had been around for quite some time. Some of the people who lived here now had lived here before it was even a city although the majority of them had traveled in from somewhere else. Aishe had been born outside the country, that was certain. She had a very soft accent that seemed Middle Eastern in origin and that would fit her appearance.
Aishe 12 years ago
"Only tons," Aishe admitted. "I really have to know. Have you ever leeched anyone?"

It was probably the first question anyone ever asked. Rowan was likely sick of it. But she was dying to know - figuratively speaking of course.

Rowan's next question was obvious; he didn't know how old she was. Or, in her case, how young. Aishe didn't mind admitting she was Evenhet's baby vampire. They'd all been there at one point or another. And it was quite possible she wasn't the youngest anymore.

"I was born in Egypt," she said, answering his question the long way. "My family moved here, well, a few hours from here, when I was in my early teens. I came to Nachton about, oh, six years ago now."

Aishe shrugged and smiled at Rowan.
"So I'm the baby of the family. Or one of them. Now I get to ask, right?"

She lifted her eyebrows, and was surprised when Rowan didn't respond immediately but waited a few moments before giving a short nod.
"Where is your accent from? And how come you're in Nachton now?"

Aishe loved this pleasant question and answer session they seemed to have launched into. Rowan was easy to talk to, like Eiryk was easy to talk to. She made free and easy with questions when the Viking was around because he never seemed to mind them and Aishe was generally full of them, to the point that she knew some people considered her a nuisance. Rowan didn't seem to fall into that category, though, and Aishe was brimming with curiosity about the man who now lived with her Creator.
Rowan laughed as Aishe asked him what was probably the first question out of everyone's mouth when they asked about his medical history. "Short answer, yes," he said. "Long answer - only when there were other people in the room."

It wasn't that he hadn't believed in leeching or anything as ethical or forward-thinking. In Rowan's opinion, why waste a good meal? Leeches were for when he couldn't get away with being the leech himself. Frankly, he'd never tasted anything in anyone's blood that suggested they needed leeching. Blood tasted like blood. He was no researcher or scientist though, so he'd left that particular advancement to those best suited to discover it.

He gave a little 'ah' as Aishe explained her extreme youth to him. Somewhere deep inside, a little part of him thought it was adorable that Cris was responsible for Evenhet's young Egyptian vampire. He knew that Cris felt guilty about having left Aishe shortly after he had turned her, but they hadn't really discussed the timeframe. Just that it had been recent. Aishe certainly didn't appear to hold it against him.

Rowan paused a second before nodding to Aishe, indicating she could ask what she liked. They were skirting a topic that always made him uncomfortable. He hated to discuss his past and he didn't know Aishe well enough to be candid with her as he was with Cris. He didn't want to lie to her, not really, but he probably would. He hated himself for that for a moment.

But Aishe's question actually avoided the issue, and Rowan had to wonder if Cris had somehow warned her against bringing it up. She hit close to home, but not exactly home. He could answer that one honestly.

"It's from everywhere," he said, shrugging. "I've traveled so much, I guess I've just picked it all up. I've spent most of my life in Europe. I don't think I ever really made a conscious decision to come to North America. Maybe it was French Canada that attracted me, because I did spend some time there. Then I came down through the Dakotas and thought, since I'm here, I should just hang a left and check out Nachton."

It was mostly true. Rowan avoided the 'why' behind the traveling and the accent but the rest was accurate. He hadn't really had a reason for coming to Nachton, other than it was here and so was he.
Aishe 12 years ago
Aishe raised her eyebrows in surprise at Rowan's ready confession, but then she thought about it. It made sense in a sort of macabre, disturbing way. You're a vampire doctor in the 1700's. No one else is in the room. Your delirious feverish patient is looking tasty in spite of being sick, and you're hungry.

While it certainly didn't seem ethical, Aishe realized that sometimes right and wrong got very blurry on the subject of feeding. She doubted Rowan had ever drank deeply enough from a sick victim to cause them further harm. He didn't seem like the type.

"Well at least someone had a meal every time," Aishe said. Leeches had to eat too.

Rowan's story about travel was pretty typical, she thought, although not if one took in his age, which she understood to be closer to Cris's than hers. most of the older vampires she knew tended to have settled in one place. Rowan clearly liked to move around.

"You're planning to stay then, I hope?"

She peered at him curiously, trying not to sound like she was grilling him. He obviously loved Cris, that much was plain in his aura. Aishe knew first-hand, however, that love did not always equal a perfect happy ending. Kiamhaat loved her, yet he'd left her.
"Oh, it was always me," Rowan reassured her. He had no idea how sheltered Aishe was, but there was probably no getting around the gritty details of vampire life. Sometimes you took a meal where you could get it.

"I can't say I liked the taste of leech... rather tough and chewy on the outside, but pretty tasty on the inside."

Oh yes. He had gone there. Repeatedly, when he found himself in circumstances that didn't permit him to obtain meals as frequently as he'd needed. Obviously it wasn't his preferred method. It was about as disgusting as bagged blood, really. Squirmier too. But blood is blood sometimes.

He watched Aishe's reaction which wasn't outright revulsion, and that surprised him. Instead she looked sort of ill but that passed and she appeared thoughtful instead. Then she nodded, replied, and they moved on. Interesting.

Rowan addressed her next question once the topic of leeches was safely in the past.
"I have no reason to leave and every reason to stay."

He saw the ulterior motive in the question. It was more than polite inquiry, it was a search for reassurance, on Cris's behalf. Sweet of her, but entirely unnecessary.

"Until such time as Cris doesn't want me around, I'm not going anywhere at all."

Rowan smiled peacefully. Wild horses couldn't drag him away.
Aishe 12 years ago
As Rowan answered her Aishe paused for a moment, wondering if he was really serious. She took in the look upon his face and knew that he was perfectly sincere, not teasing her or trying to pull one over on her. And for a moment she was reminded that vampires, any vampires, even cheerful friendly ones like Rowan, all had skeletons in their closets and all were capable of doing things that, to Aishe, weren't entirely human.

Well, that was normal for them all she supposed. She wrinkled her nose up at Rowan, stuck her tongue out, and said,
"blech." Then she shook her head. "I don't know if I could do it."

Maybe she was a little spoiled. Aishe had been Created with love, taught how to provide for herself, and pretty much had never wanted for anything since Cris initiated her into her new life. She was sure that someday she too might find herself fallen on difficult times, finding a meal here and there as quickly and quietly as she could but that time had yet to come and as far as she was concerned it could stay in her unforeseen future.

Instead of dwelling on it, she waited for Rowan's answer about staying in Nachton. It was as sincere as it could be. She smiled at him brightly.

"Good. I like you together." As little as Aishe knew about Rowan, she saw Cris plenty now that he was home, and it was clear that he was changed. For the better, she thought. The differences weren't terribly obvious at work; Cris was still Cris. But Aishe saw a happier person altogether when she looked at her Creator and that was priceless.
Rowan let out a very soft sigh when Aishe seemed to grant them her approval. She'd said as much when he'd first met her, but it had been months since then and he wasn't going to simply assume she hadn't continue to observe. This was still a bit new to him... this seeking approval thing. Rowan hadn't had a single long-term relationship in his lifetime. It wasn't that his history was a long string of one-night stands; on occasion he'd dated the same person for maybe a few months at a time. He'd never lived with anyone else but his Creator and maybe a friend or two though, and he'd never experienced this sort of closeness. Waking up next to someone, having his things next to theirs. he liked it, with Cris, and he didn't want any reason for it to end.

"I like us together too," he said to Aishe, his cheerful smile back in place. "I've never met anyone like Cris. What about you? You mentioned you were going on a date when we met. Who's the lucky man?"

Rowan remembered Aishe's brief conversation from Cris's house the night they'd met; obviously Cris approved of whoever she'd been with. He wasn't sure he could see Cris sitting idly by while his child dated someone... unworthy. Cris seemed very much more likely to have a convenient, quiet chat with that person in a dark alley somewhere. Hopefully such intervention wasn't necessary though.

In the meantime, he'd have thought the murmurs around them might have died out. But as new people came and went, they all seemed to notice him sitting with Aishe. granted he hadn't chosen a very out-of-the-way location to enjoy his coffee; a part of him had wanted to hear the gossips and the rumors.

He didn't like them much, but Cris seemed to take them in stride and with some measure of amusement. Rowan raised his eyebrows as he heard a man and a woman chuckling a couple tables over and the phrase, "Darth Bern."

It would have made him laugh if he weren't intimately connected with said sith vampire, and aware that while Cris might seem cool and collected in public he was very real and very passionate underneath that chilly exterior. it didn't matter how many times you brushed it off. On some level, such comments had to leave their mark.
Christian Bern 12 years ago
Rowan had told him that he had a little time between shifts and that he had come back home for a bit. Cris knew that his partner was worried about not waking up on time but he worried about Rowan working such long hours on not enough sleep.

Not that he was exactly a model example of restfulness.

He finished off taking care of some paperwork on incident reports that had happened in the city, talked to several teams headed out on missions, and then left his desk to speak with his assistant. Cris stepped into the office next to his and told Ume where he was headed and asked if she wanted him to bring her back a coffee.

She asked for a chai instead and told him with her soft smile and meaningful reply that she understood to hold any problems short of the Towers being assaulted or an Elder being kidnapped until after he had gotten back. There was a lot of unexpected good about his assistant knowing him on a more personal level. Ume was not afraid of him; she didn't believe the rumors she heard floating around about her boss; she also knew Rowan as well and what his partner meant to him. She was a great assistant and easy to work with anyway but this had turned out to be an added bonus

Stepping into an empty elevator, Cris blended out of sight. MARI gave him a pair of raised eyebrows but said nothing about it. In fact, she ceased to speak to him at all, even when several other people got on the elevator and they all got off together. The AI wished the others a good day but not him. There were times when he could have kissed her screen.

Passing through the mall area, Cris listened to the conversations as he went by but did not pause to get more than a passing word or two. Normally he enjoyed this little past time. He called it 'doing rounds' but only MARI, Alfarinn and now Ume knew that he sometimes took these walks unseen.

He headed toward Barney's and saw his redhead sitting out toward the front with another welcome sight. Cris wondered who had cornered whom as he looked at his child and his lover at the same table. His money was on Aishe but it could have gone either way.

His name was mentioned at another table and that caught his attention. 'Darth Bern' was it now? That was a new one. Cris smiled to himself. He halfway approved. What made him frown were the observations directed toward Rowan. He did not mind being the object of their gossip and conjecture. It was vaguely amusing to him to hear the honest opinions that they would be too afraid to voice in his presence but he did not appreciate them speaking so openly about his partner. It amazed him that even vampires seemed to forget how easy it was for another of their kind to eavesdrop on 'private' conversations in public. Rowan likely heard every word.

Cris, who was going to make an appearance anyway, decided sooner might be better than later. He slipped around an alcove made by the facade of the cafe next to Barney's and discreetly became visible once more. He 'called' to the barista currently working, a member of the clan, and asked for his usual, sending that he would be right there.
Aishe 12 years ago
Aishe had expected the line of inquiry to turn back to her, so when Rowan asked, she displayed her hand to him to show him the antique ring Kem had given her for their engagement.

"I think I'm the lucky one," she said with a laugh. "That would be Kem, my fiance. he works in the archives here, and helps out with Clan business too. You might have seen him around. Tall, about your height, white hair, pale eyes. Kind of quiet, odd sense of humor. Really sexy."

She grinned; Rowan didn't seem like he was about to shy from that description. He was easy to talk to. She loved that.

"We're planning on getting married some time this century. That's what rumor says anyway."

She caught the slight change of expression when Rowan heard Cris's new nickname. The people two tables over hadn't been horribly quiet. One of them even glanced over in their direction, as if checking to see if they had heard. It seemed almost like a challenge to her.

Aishe shrugged her shoulders at Rowan with an apologetic smile.
"Happens a lot," she whispered. "It doesn't seem to bother Cris. I'm sorry though. They shouldn't be discussing any of this."

Particularly bringing Rowan into it, in that light. Aishe knew Cris inspired a mix of fear, respect, and curiosity from the people in the Clan, vampire and human alike. She'd been the recipient of some very interesting questions herself. It was best Rowan learn now... people could be cruel without meaning to sometimes.

However, before she could say anything further, Rowan was excusing himself politely and heading to the other table. She watched, wide-eyed, a little afraid of what he might do. He was large, strong, and emotionally involved. Well, she thought... at least he was also a doctor. Anyone he broke, he could patch back up again.
"Kem. I've heard that name, Kem. Why have I heard that name?"

Then Rowan remembered; it had become public knowledge a year or so ago that Kem`Raaisu was now the Nachton Elder, and had been taking care of Clan business while Alfarinn was traveling. Rowan thought about it for a moment. Traveling with Cris, he knew. His Cris. Happy sigh.

He looked at Aishe in a new light; did she realize the circles she moved in were big ones? She was the only child of the Head of Security for an entire Clan, the wife-to-be of the Elder of their 'capitol' city. She sure dove into the deep end, huh.

Then he realized, he sort of had, too. Entirely without meaning to. Interesting.

He continued to smile at Aishe, admiring her ring.
"Beautiful," he said. "Congratulations. Maybe I can meet him some time?"

Meanwhile the conversation two tables over had not stopped. And someone had just finished telling a fairly tasteless joke that didn't paint Cris or himself in the prettiest light. Darth Bern, indeed.

"Excuse me a moment, love," Rowan said, slipping out of his chair.

The conversation between the guy and the girl died out as Rowan approached their table. He wore a big smile upon his face. Pulling an empty chair out Rowan said,
"Hi there."

He plopped himself down in to the chair and, making no attempt to keep his voice down in spite of the crowd in the mall, asked the woman,
"Have you ever been fucked by a sith lord?"

Stretching his legs out in front of him, Rowan leaned back in his chair. The woman stared at him. "Uh..." was her only response.

Rowan continued as if he hadn't heard her.
"Because I'll tell you what, it is some kind of fantastic, honey. There's this whole thing they can do with their minds, where you'd swear you're upside down but you aren't. And oh! the light saber. Should I go into the light saber? They don't always burn, you know."

Both the man and the woman were staring at him now, expressions of shock on their faces. In addition, almost everyone else in the vicinity was listening in if not openly gaping at him.

Rowan cheerfully continued.
"And the whole dark side light side thing? Not a big deal. it's really just a matter of setting."

He gestured expansively.
"Oh but the Force," he said, enjoying himself and grinning wider. "Darth Bern... the Force is strong in that one. And it feels fucking amazing when we... never mind, you probably don't want the details. or maybe you do, since you've been speculating about them for the last half hour?" He had started to make a gesture that could only end up as graphic and obscene but stopped before he got too far.

Then he sobered up.
"But I gotta tell you," he continued, "It's been pretty tough to get all sith-ed up lately, because the guy I'm trying to date is busy spending his days and his nights keeping an eye out for insensitive assholes like the two of you. Ninety hours a week, an entire planet to worry about, and you can manage to sit here safe and snug making up petty little names because someone else is doing his best to make sure you have the luxury to think of something really snide for next time."

Rowan shoved away from the table, shrugged his shoulders, and stood.
"Given the choice, I'll stay with the sith lord, thanks. Given my very recent study on how he spends his time versus how you spend yours, I'm pretty sure he's got his shit together."

It really didn't matter how many eyes were on him. Rowan smiled happily, turned, and walked back toward Aishe. He stopped, however, once he realized Cris was now standing nearby, outside Barney's. Everyone in their section of the mall had frozen, and all eyes were upon them.

Unashamed, Rowan strode over to Cris.
"I've finished brainwashing them, Lord Bern," he said. "They're ready to be reprogrammed. They'll make excellent drones."

In the meantime, he stared hard at Cris with intense green-grey eyes. Rowan was this close to pulling his partner into his arms and kissing the hell out of him but all eyes were on them and Rowan wanted to make it clear that Cris was in charge. No matter what games they played in the bedroom or while they were out, Cris had a public image to maintain. Rowan had been very careful, even during his little rant, not to call into question any authority his boyfriend had. But damn, that little rage would be ever so much more poignant with a nice long kiss right now.

If Cris didn't murder him.
Christian Bern 12 years ago
He came around the corned just in time to see Rowan get up and head to the other table. His partner sat down and stretched out those long sexy legs of his, seeming to settle down for a friendly chat. For a moment Cris was slightly optimistic that the outcome would be mild. Perhaps Rowan would simply ask them politely to keep their voices down and remember that other people could hear them?

It quickly became apparent that no such request was in the works. His companion started off with a rather candid question and then went on to describe their sex life in vivid if somewhat fantastical detail. The woman, a member of his security staff, had her back to him but her companion looked up and nearly choked on his own tongue. He went a lighter shade of pale and appeared to want to crawl under the table. Meanwhile Rowan was happily discussing light sabers and the force, graphic gestures in...almost included.

A blush of embarrassed gratitude crept up his face at the sweet words that ended his partner's lecture. Cris glanced toward the ground, a little smile playing at the corners of his mouth while he listened to Rowan's righteous anger on his behalf. Sometimes it felt good to be protected, even when you didn't think you needed it.

By the time he looked up again both the blush and the smile were gone. His lover stood and turned around to find him standing there. Rowan walked toward him and claimed the group was ready for reprogramming. If they had been alone he would have chuckled at his lover's humor. Instead he shifted his regard from Rowan to the crowd.

"Excellent" Cris gazed at everyone in the cafe with a stern appraising sweep of his cool blue eyes. It was the same reproachful expression that teachers used after the whole class had been rowdy and they regarded everyone with a suspicious eye, checking the students over for anyone who had not gotten the message. Returning his attention to Rowan, he said. "You have done well, my young apprentice."

Then he closed the last small distance between the two of them and,wrapping his arms around Rowan, he hugged him close. [It is okay, Love.] Cris sent even as he pulled his partner down near enough to kiss. [I am sorry I was not here sooner.] He did not spare an ounce of propriety for anyone whose sensibilities might be offended by their embrace; they were far past the point of caution after Rowan's speech and so the kiss he gave his lover was deep and hard and full of the longing that he had felt all day while they had been apart.

When he leaned back, he looked at Rowan with raised eyebrows and whispered. "Have you ever been fucked by a Sith Lord?!" Cris shook his head with an amused expression on his face. [Come to the dark side. We give great head.] He let the good humor melt away until all that was left was his normal calm expression by the time he stepped away from his partner. Reaching down, he took Rowan's hand and stared back at the crowd.

"As you were, people." Cris watched them all patiently but pointedly until they dutifully picked up their drinks and looked elsewhere, at least making the motions of not paying attention. Tongues would wag later but at the moment they all knew they were being watched.

Coming to stand next to the table with the two that Rowan had been 'enlightening' just moments before, Cris halted but did not look down at them.

"And lest you think this means I will be hugging carebears and chasing rainbows, I still expect you to go through that training course, Sullivan. You will not be sent out again without it." Finally he glanced down at the couple. The woman bit her lip, nodded her head and mumbled a "Yes,sir."

Cris continued on to the counter and picked up his drink which the barista had ready and was holding up for him as he approached. She gave him a cheeky smile as she handed it over. "I always liked the dark side myself, better dressers...and everyone knows they have cookies."

"Indeed" He handed her his card; she slid it back to him without using it, shaking her hand and making a tsking sound. "Must we do this every time?"

"Yes, Maria, every time." She rolled her eyes at him and made a shooing motion to them both. Cris led them back to the table with Aishe. He pulled up a chair next to Rowan's and sat down, never relinquishing his partner's hand.

"So what were you two talking about before the Sith Lord sex-ed lesson?"
Aishe 12 years ago
Aishe nodded to Rowan. "I'd love to introduce you," she said with a smile. "I know Kem wants to meet you, too."

She didn't have time to say anything else, for even though Rowan excused himself politely he didn't stick around to receive her answering smile. He was already on his way over to two tables over. The woman, Aishe recognized from Security. Not her companion though. Rowan was going to say something, clearly.

That something made Aishe gently place her hand over her open mouth in shock. She gave a tiny laugh of disbelief, her eyes widening as Rowan continued to talk. Aishe looked around to see everyone within earshot staring at the redhead, who continued cheerfully as if completely unconcerned with the attention he was receiving.

As Rowan's speech wound down Aishe did her best to crank her jaw shut again. Damn, she thought, she wished she could rant like that. Coming from her, it would just sound silly. Rowan, however, had done a fantastic job. She watched him get up, expecting him to return to their table. Instead, he headed past her.

Aishe turned to see Cris standing there, no sign of upset on his calm, beautiful face. He might have been cut from marble, except that as Rowan neared he spoke. His words made Aishe chuckle softly, under her breath, and then Cris stepped close to Rowan and kissed him, tugging him down.

The laughter died in Aishe's throat at the sight of her Creator kissing his partner. That kiss would have stopped traffic. Robo-Bern that, she thought... that was a hell of a kiss, and Rowan was giving as good as he got, his fingers gripping the dark fabric of Cris's suit as if he might tear it.

Out of curiosity she looked for auras this time and smiled to see Rowan's colors back, vivid and beautiful, the rainbows of green and yellow and blue somewhat muted under an intense, jagged deep pink fading to red. It was as if he were broadcasting now to anyone who could see, as brazen with his emotions as he had just been with his words. From Cris Aishe saw nothing, but she hadn't expected to. She could never see beneath Cris's subterfuge unless he allowed it, the same as Rowan.

She didn't look away, like everyone else did after that. She simply watched her father and his partner and waited for them to return to the table, which they did after Cris retrieved his order from the coffee shop.

Ignoring Cris's question for the moment Aishe stood, rounded the table, and kissed Cris on the cheek. Then she did the same to Rowan.

"I think you're my hero today," she told the redhead.

He'd done what she should have long ago. She would have loved to cut someone down the way Rowan just had, but such skills weren't natural to her. Instead she handled the speculation in different ways. It didn't mean she didn't admire what Rowan had just done though.

She returned to Cris's question.
"We were talking about introducing Rowan to Kem," she said with a smile, as if the event had never happened. "Which I was about to say we could do on Christmas Eve unless you want to stop by the archives now. He'll be taking off very soon. He's been there for about a day and a half now."
Rowan felt a strong sense of relief that Cris didn't seem angry at him. Facing away from the crowd, now, looking at Cris, Rowan allowed the corners of his lips to twitch up just a bit. he was pulled into a warm embrace and went willingly, closing his eyes and smiling as he inhaled Cris's scent... the same one that clung to him now, so familiar and wonderful.

[Sorry love,] he sent back. [They didn't have the right.]

He didn't get much more out before he was being kissed aggressively, in a manner that turned his knees weak. Authority fantasy, check. Rowan let his subterfuge drop at last; let whoever wanted to look see how he felt about this. Cris was everything. The perfect lover, the perfect protector. Rowan kissed him back enthusiastically, returning that embrace with a crushing one of his own, shivering at the feel of fangs and tongue dancing along his own.

It was over all too soon. Rowan grinned as he heard Cris's soft whisper, and answered with a mumbled unnecessary,
"I was going for shock factor."

Then he heard the response in his head and had to stifle a laugh. [Oh I'm on the dark side,] he sent. [There are many more reasons than just the fantastic Force blowjobs.] Cris's face remained completely cool though, no hint of his thoughts to Rowan upon it. So Rowan mastered his own expression as well, hiding his smile before he turned to face the public again.

Rowan was propelled along with his hand in Cris's. He shoved his shields back up; the show was over. His emotions were his own again. Cris was speaking to the woman Rowan had just bitched at. His eyebrows went up when he realized she was Security, and his eyes narrowed just a bit. She didn't look at him, but she'd have been met with a stony expression if she had.

Once they returned to the table with Aishe Rowan slid his chair close enough to Cris's so that their shoulders could touch if they leaned in just a little. Rowan was surprised when Aishe came around, kissed them both, and called Rowan her hero. He had nothing to say to that; Rowan would do it again in a heartbeat if he heard the same things ever again.

Aishe and Cris seemed perfectly happy with a return to the conversation from earlier. Rowan tuned out a little, feeling somewhat concerned, hoping his brash actions hadn't caused more trouble for Cris down the road.