Music in the Park

It was a sunny Sunday afternoon; the weather was just about perfect. The heat of summer was fading, giving way to the cooler air of fall as the year drew toward a close. Today was pleasant; a light breeze, temperature in the mid 70's, not a cloud in sight.

Neither Marie nor Alex had really invited the other out. They'd gotten to talking at work earlier that week after a rep from the Nachton Symphony had come by asking if she could hang a sign in Alex's storefront. It had been an invitation to this concert, Music in the Park, a one-time showing. Alex always liked supporting his community so it made sense to not only display the flyer but attend as well. Marie had expressed her interest, so they'd decided to come together.

The difference in their ages didn't bother Alex really; Marie was a mature almost-twenty and he was still pretending thirty hadn't happened. They always seemed to have plenty to talk about and Alex knew Marie counted him as 'safe' to be around, probably because of his sexual orientation. That didn't bother Alex either. He was used to being the classic 'gay friend.' He would admit to liking it. He'd far rather hang out around a group of women than a bunch of straight guys.

He looked down at the baseball field, which was set up to house the orchestra for the time being instead of hosting a game. There were crowds in the bleachers but Alex and Marie had opted to sit by third base, which was simply a grassy hillock overlooking the playing field, where they could spread out a blanket and unpack their own food.

"Look good?"

He turned to Marie inquiringly. The view wouldn't matter much, but they'd be sitting behind the violin section at this angle. It was the sound that mattered and Alex suspected the symphony had enough technology to make themselves heard even in this open-air environment.

Alex set his backpack aside, which conveniently had two full sets of utensils and place settings rolled into it along with their meal, and helped Marie to spread out the old comforter from Alex's rarely-used upstairs apartment.

Marie 12 years ago
Even though Marie was more confidant than she had been when Ysabel found her she was still more than a little shy. She didn't have many friends, and certainly no male friends other than her boss. In a quiet way Marie counted Alex as a friend he was always so nice to her, helpful and made her laugh. More important, she relaxed around him she didn't feel like she had to keep her guard up and watch him every second or look for ulterior motives. So she'd quite happily agreed to the outing, although she felt a little bad her vampire couldn't come with as well.

They'd had fun doing something as mundane as picking out something to eat. He was easy to talk to and Marie had learned she could tease him a little too. In the course of their shopping Marie had offered to cook some thing for Alex sometime. After all they both came from cultures that could be very food centric and they both lived with people who didn't need to eat. It was hard to justify making tamales for one person.

As she helped to spread out the blanket Marie was very tempted to just fall on her back, stretch out and soak up the late summer sun. But Ysabel's lessons stuck with her and instead she sat down and folded her legs neatly beside her.

"Yes. I think we'll have it much better than the people near the percussion and brass sections don't you?"

The whole set up intrigued Marie who was very glad they'd decided against sitting in the bleachers. It was a unique opportunity to actually -see- the orchestra, something that could be quite hard to do in the dark.

"I didn't know you liked classical music. Do you play any instruments?"

She hadn't, but Ysabel had seen to that. Her vampire had considered it an essential part of a proper young ladies education and Marie hadn't protested. She'd always loved music, especially classical. Some pieces were very powerful reminded of her mother and grandmother, but happy memories.
Alex Aristos 12 years ago
"Yeah, I like it here. I wonder if they'll ever do this at night," Alex mused out loud. He couldn't help it. He thought it would be so nice to spread out a blanket with Eiryk in the dark and lie together looking up at the sky listening to the symphony play.

He jerked his head out of the clouds and smiled at Marie, blushing a little.
"Not that you aren't good company." He laughed at himself, sure that Marie understood where his thoughts had briefly wandered to.

He shook his head at Marie's question.
"No. I'm not really very musically inclined. I learned how to play the piano when I was nine but I wasn't very good and I didn't stick with it."

Alex sat down on the blanket once Marie was settled, grabbing his backpack and setting it down between them. Then he reached back for their food as well. They'd gone shopping at a local organic market, Alex's request. He really preferred organic to anything else. The store had plenty of selection for both of them so they'd each been able to get what they wanted. For Alex, it was a spinach and arugula salad with roasted vegetables and pita bread. Picnic at the ballpark, to him, said 'salad.' Not sure why.

"I'll listen to anything," he said. "Never been a big classical fan but I like it just fine, and I think this is going to be really nice."

One of his regular customers walked by and waved; Alex waved cheerfully back and then went back to unpacking their food, handing Marie's to her.
Marie 12 years ago
Marie giggled a little at Alex's apparent day dreaming. She had wondered the same thing, but not for exactly the same reason close but not -quite- the same. It was cute though. Alex and Eiryk were a brilliant couple, so different than Ysabel and Ambrose but it seemed to be just as loving a relationship.

"Would you rather I was blond? They do say they have more fun.”

She hadn't been offended at all and took the opportunity to tease her boss gently.

"At least you tried. It is all about being well rounded isn't it.”

Marie had picked out a few things, she might be small but she could and did eat. Opening some tortilla chips and salsa, although she did eye and sniff the salsa suspiciously, setting them between she and Alex. The idea had been to share them.

She recognized their customer and smiled shyly much preferring to let Alex take the spot light. After all, it was his store she just worked there.

"I think it is a great idea. I mean look they are getting a good crowd already. Of course, I'd imagine that the free thing helps...”

It must because she saw a few people she knew from her classes here and there in the audience. None of them, however, had seen her and it was no one she was terribly friendly with. Although, her glance might have lingered a bit longer than usual on a boy from her English class. Catching herself Marie pretended nothing had happened and tried the salsa. It was not authentic.

"You should try the salsa. I think I need another opinion.”
Alex chuckled at Marie, glad to have someone he could joke with who understood what he was, and what Eiryk was. "Blond, male, and several hundred years older," he grinned. "You're a pretty damn good substitute though."

As Marie pointed out the number of people here to listen to the orchestra Alexander looked and had to agree. He hadn't expected such a turnout, but then, he didn't really follow this sort of thing. He had heard the Nachton Symphony was very good. World renowned. Had recorded several albums of classical music, and had a reputation for doing things you wouldn't expect with a classical ensemble. He hoped they'd do some of that today, whatever it was.

"Free always helps," Alex said with a laugh. "It's cool of them to do. I know the tickets for their concerts are pretty pricey."

He wondered if Eiryk would enjoy attending sometime. He suspected he might, if only to see people dressed to the nines, something he knew happened when people went to a concert like this.

Turning back to Marie when she sampled the salsa Alex obediently picked up a chip and dipped it in. He gave a critical little hum as he ate, shaking his head slowly.

"I've had better. But I've had worse, too. It tastes like it's missing something."

An avid cooking fan and amateur chef himself, Alex often analyzed what he ate.
"I can taste some jalapeno. Salt. Cilantro. It almost tastes like they used the wrong onion though."
Marie 12 years ago
"You know I could say the same about you." Marie said with an impish grin. "Although I'd make you shorter and female...."

She mused. It didn't strike her at all odd how much of her life revolved around Ysabel and how wonderful her vampire was. Marie knew that she hadn't always felt that way. But of course, she hadn't always known Ysabel. And it wasn't as if she was a mindless drone, she was encouraged to explore her own interests and be her own person.

"They do have -some- cheap seats. Way in the back where you can't see anything. But I think the sound might be better back there. Something about bouncing off the wall and primitive surround sound."

One of her friends was an engineering/physics major and had explained it to her. It made sense at the time.

"Oh, we don't have a program. I wonder what they'll play."

And if she'd recognize it. It would be a challenge. Marie suspected they'd do more popular pieces at a concert like this. Things people would be familiar with, after all if you were looking for a new audience you didn't want to alienate them right off the bat.

Crunching down on the salsa Marie closed her eyes and concentrated on the flavors. Finally she nodded agreement with her boss.

"I think you're right there and there is no citrus. Teach me to buy instead of make."

But she really wasn't upset, she even smiled a little amused by how snobby she could be about something as simple as salsa.
Alex looked down at himself. He didn't think he'd make a decent woman, but he'd never tried the cross-dressing thing. Not since he'd gotten into his mother's closet when he was 6 or so and his father had found him and... well, the result had left him sore for a week. Apparently his father thought he could spank the gay right out of him. Shows what he knew.

He shook his head at Marie.
"I couldn't do her style," was all he said, grinning.

When she told him about the low-cost seating Alex took note.
"Really? Funny how acoustics work sometimes. I'll have to check it out."

Definitely, before he took Eiryk. He suspected his boyfriend would very much want to sit in the front so he could see everything as well as hear it, but he might be surprised. Either way some research wouldn't hurt.

Alex hadn't picked up a program either; his hands had been full when they'd come in. Oh well, it would be somewhat of a surprise.
"I heard it was movie music," he said. "That's what the flyer said anyway."

It would be a cool concert if that was the case; without a program they could see how many themes they recognized. Alex wondered if they would stick to seasonal stuff, Halloween type stuff.

They continued to analyze the salsa. Alex laughed at Marie's conclusion.
"Maybe you can write them a letter and teach them how to make it properly. Or you can just show me, so I know and won't have to buy anymore."

Down below them on the field, the orchestra members were filtering in from beneath the dugout area, settling into their chairs. The air was filled with a melody of chords as they began to tune their instruments. There were a lot of them; Alex knew the symphony was big but this was impressive.

"That's going to be a lot of sound," he said. They had lots of electronics too; he could see wires and microphones all over. They wouldn't have any trouble hearing.
Marie 12 years ago
"I don't think any one can.”

Marie had tried now and then and some how the gowns always looked like costumes on her. Even when they didn't Marie always felt awkward in them, like she didn't quite belong.

She beamed when Alex said he would check it out. While she didn't know Eiryk as well as Alex, nor was she quite as comfortable with him Marie was certain the other vampire would enjoy the experience and was happy she could give the two men something to do. If she'd had any inclination at all to go out with some one she was certain her boss would do the same for her.

"Movies? Well that will guarantee us Star Wars, Harry Potter and Close Encounters.” They were classic movie themes after all. She paused and continued a little hesitantly, "I read that movies are really just modern classical music.”

It made sense too. After all the original classical music had been pop culture back in the day, just like movies were today.

Marie nodded enthusiastically with a mouth full of chips and salsa.

"Of course I'll show you. It is pretty easy, it was one of the first things my mom taught me. Do you think... it would be OK?”

It didn't hurt so much to think about her family any more. Enough time had passed that while things might occasionally make her sad for the most part Marie just remembered the good times. It was easier and more satisfying. On the other hand, while they never really talked about it they did belong to two different clans. Marie wasn't certain she could just go visit Alex any more. Of course they could always just use the apartment over the store even if he didn't live there any more.

She nodded her agreement, while at the same time smiling at the sounds of the tuning and warming up. Some thing about that blend of random that all sounded like it belonged together was one of her favorite things.

"Well at least we'll get our moneys worth then.”
"You think they'll go that classic?" Alexander asked Marie. From what he'd heard the Nachton Symphony was a little bit more 'out there' than your standard stodgy symphony orchestra. He was expecting something, or at least hoping for something, more than the classics.

He nodded, thinking over the movie scores Marie had mentioned.
"It would seem that way," he said. "I guess I always think of them both as telling stories, just in different ways."

He ate his salad thoughtfully, turning to look at Marie when she said she'd show him how to make her mother's salsa.
"I'd like that."

Alex loved to cook and was always on the lookout for new recipes. He tilted his head at Marie's hesitation.
"I don't see why it wouldn't be okay?"

He didn't quite catch her meaning for a second and then he realized she was referring to their respective Clan affiliations.
"Oh," he said. Then he lifted his shoulders. "Eiryk never implied that that was off limits."

Alex thought back to all the conversations he had had with his boyfriend, with Christian and Rowan too. Surely Cris would have mentioned it, too? Being head of security and all? But Cris didn't know about Marie and neither did Rowan. Only Eiryk did. And Alex trusted that Eiryk would have told him if employing Marie was breaking some sort of Clan law.

"I'll double check, okay? But I think it's fine."

He smiled reassuringly at Marie.
Marie 12 years ago
"Bet you a batch of salsa they do at least one of those.”

Marie said with some confidence. Those were staples at pop concerts she knew that. But it would be a long shot that they'd do all three. Certain of her bet she added,

"What do I get when I'm right?”

It was an interesting combination of her guardian's gentle coy teasing manner and the cowboy's arrogance. Both, however dissolved into an honest smile, something almost childish as he expressed interest in the salsa. It was an indication of how truly at ease with Alex she was, how much she liked him that she could even think about leaving herself open like that rather than worrying Alex would ask for something that wasn't right.

"If you are feeling really ambitious we could make tamales for Christmas. Although we might need some extra hands for that, they can be a lot of work. Do you know any one else who would eat them? Maybe you can trade me a recipe for those.”

If she made them Marie was certain Ysabel and Ambrose would eat one or two and she had some friends at school she would share them with but one made tamales by the dozen when you set out to do it. She didn't know enough people, Alex might though.

"If it isn't I'm sure we can come up with a plan B. But... well... I am a little curious about the towers.”

She confessed. But never having had a reason to go there Marie had only seen them from the outside. Of course she hadn't spent a lot of time at the Manor either, so she was also curious about it as well. But she'd never really protested or even hinted that she should be allowed there.
Alex laughed at Marie's brash gamble. "I'm not much of a betting man," he admitted. "Not really a very exciting 'thrill seeker' sort. So I'm betting you're right, how about that?"

He grinned over at her.
"If they do, I'll show you how to make really good dolmas."

It was stereotypical of him probably but Alex loved to cook traditional Greek. His grandmother had showed him a lot of recipes when he was very young and he had kept them close to his heart, or what he could remember of them.

"For Christmas?" Alex asked. "Are tamales a Christmas thing?" He wasn't very familiar with the traditions of other cultures. "I might know a few people who'd give them a shot."

Well, he'd find some, anyway. He was sure Eiryk would help... or try to help... make them. And there was an outside chance their friends might be interested in sampling. As far as the Towers went Alex shrugged his shoulders at Marie.

"I don't see why you couldn't come over for a cooking session. I'll ask about that too," Alex said. After all, he had been a visitor to the Towers himself, at Eiryk's place, before he'd ever known about Evenhet. Marie was in the know by way of her association with Ysabel, and Alex was very aware that there were rules to be followed regarding familiars, which Marie was. She was Ysabel's property, in other words.

"Aha," Alex said, pointing as the conductor came out and took the stage. The crowd began to clap for him as he bowed and then they all fell silent as he raised his hands.

With a flourish, the hands dropped, and the orchestra began to play. Alex didn't immediately recognize the songs; they seemed to be a medley of some sort. Very odd in composition, sort of zany and a little creepy.

"What is it?" he asked, turning to Marie. "I don't recognize it."
Marie 12 years ago
For a second Marie thought about trying to tease or goad Alex into betting. After all it wasn't as if they had bet the farm, or even money. But she had to giggle at his 'bet' grinning when he came up with a wager.

"Deal.”

She said cheerfully. Marie didn't even know for certain what a dolma was but she wasn't going to negotiate further. It was, after all, just a game.

It was far too easy to remember being in the kitchen around Christmas time with her mother and grandmother, her sister and generally an aunt or a cousin all working with the masa and corn husks. Even if, when, she loved to be a thousand that would be a memory Marie would keep.

"Well not exclusively but they are a Christmas tradition as well. They also freeze pretty well so...” She said with a little shrug, "Oh good, I'd rather share them than freeze them.”

Even if she didn't know the people she was sharing them with.

Looking forward to a visit to the towers she almost missed the conductor comeing out. Quickly her attention was captured by the music and the action of the musicians. She loved it watch the musicians play it was magic. Really those simple actions made music.

She frowned in concentration trying to place the piece. It sounded familiar but she wasn't able to put her finger on it.

"I don't think it is just one thing. It... I should know it.”

Marie bit her lip and listened harder.
The sounds that filled the air were wonderful; playful and creepy at the same time, the tunes nagged at Alex until he snapped his fingers. "The Nightmare Before Christmas," he said with a laugh. "That's what they're playing right now."

It was a cute movie, Alex liked Tim Burton for his wacky visions. He lay back comfortably on the blanket, pulling his sunglasses down over his eyes and tapping his foot along with the music, his head propped on his hands.

Soon the tune changed and Alex closed his eyes thoughtfully. This next piece sounded equally creepy but he couldn't place it at all.

"No clue on this one. Maybe I should run and get a program," he suggested.

He didn't make any move to get up though, not just yet. The music was nice, he was full of salad, and the sun felt good. If Marie wanted a program he'd get up and get one but he was content to play the guessing game for the time being.
Marie 12 years ago
"Oh it is.”

She had been in mind of something animated but it just hadn't clicked with her. Perhaps because she'd only seen the movie once or twice. It was cute, but not a huge favorite of Marie's. But it was fun, she'd not really expected something like that.

Marie rolled onto her stomach and listened. This was fun. She knew full well how lucky she'd gotten since running away. Really she'd never figured on ever being able to do something like this after ditching her uncle. Some how that made it sweeter.

"No... not yet. This is fun. Maybe we can get it on the way out and see if we were right.”

The Halloween movie music theme was unexpected but entertaining. Even though it was warm out Marie shivered a little at the next piece they picked. The movie scared the crap out of her. Keeping her voice low so as not to disturb people she lowered her voice and gave it a horse masculine quality.

"It puts the lotion on its skin.”
"That works too," Alex said, feeling somewhat lazy and full. He hadn't really wanted to go wandering for a program anyhow.

Then he raised his head, opening his eyes and wincing at Marie.
"Gah," he said. "That's creepy. How did you recognize it?"

He never would have guessed Silence of the Lambs. Neat choice though.

The symphony went through a number of movies for their opening. It had to have lasted ten or fifteen minutes, and he and Marie were able to identify at least eight movies. All of them had an eerie theme, something scary or creepy or otherworldly. Not necessarily Halloween themed but certainly in the spirit of it.

When they finished that long opening number the crowd clapped loudly, many of them cheering. It was a pretty epic opening. The next piece they began was one Alex recognized as a classical piece, not from any movie he could recall. It, too, was somewhat mysterious in feel.

"I kind of recognize this one," he said, "but I have no idea what it is. Any idea?"
Marie 12 years ago
"Nightmares.” Marie answered honestly. The movie preyed on many of her fears, yet she couldn't seem to leave it alone. She didn't seek it out but when it was on she some how wound up watching it. "The book is actually scarier.”

She added as an after thought. As the symphony wound down its movie themes her faith was a little shaken. She would have thought Harry Potter at least would have wound up in there. It was entertaining though, and it didn't look like they were the only ones playing this guessing game. They could have made a contest out of it.

While she did applaud enthusiastically as the opening drew to a close Marie held herself back a little bit not wanting to be swept up into a group mentality.

This was quite a change of pace from the movies, but it still fit, there was no jarring transition. It was a strange piece that started almost light and became ominous. The complexity in it was fascinating and it certainly gave the brass players a chance to show off (strings too but they often seemed to take center stage), but Marie was forced to shake her head.

"I -should- know but I can't think of it. It feels like you should be able to dance to it though.”

Well not a ballroom dance or a party but it was clearly part of a story of some kind.
"Never read it. Maybe I will," Alex said thoughtfully. "It just seemed so good on the big screen it didn't occur to me to go read it too."

Neither of them recognized that second piece, nor did Alex recognize the third they played although that one did sound like it might have come out of a movie score. About twenty minutes passed before he could actually put a name to any of it, and then it was something pretty much everyone in the audience seemed to recognize.

"Nice. Twilight Zone," he said with a grin. "I guess that theme would have to be here huh."

The symphony did seem to be sticking to some fairly non-traditional pieces. While they hadn't done anything too fascinating yet Alex liked that they could play this little guessing game. He supposed they weren't going to pull out all the stops for a free one-time concert in the park.

Even as he thought that, though, the mood on stage become somewhat darker as the full symphony fell away and only a handful of instruments remained playing along with the percussion section. Alex raised his head and watched; the tune suddenly took on a very modern sound, as if a rock band were playing. There was a bass instrument of some sort, a couple woodwinds, plenty of different rhythms sounds, which helped set the tone, and a violinist who wasn't playing a violin. It looked like it had been chopped apart and then plugged into something, but even as Alexander realized the player was plugged into an amp of some sort, he heard the sound come out and was surprised.

"Woah. It sounds... like a guitar sort of."
Marie 12 years ago
"I'll loan you my copy."

She kept it on the very highest shelf in the closet behind under more things that she could count, but Marie did know exactly where it was. Loaning it to Alex wouldn't be a hardship, she'd know where it was but wouldn't have to worry about accidentally finding it. Every one had something like this, at least Marie assumed they did, something that scared you but you continued to torment yourself with.

The Twilight Zone sounded a lot different, it had quite the impact, when played by a full orchestra. Something that had always been kind of campy took on a whole new feel, she was actually impressed.

Marie had forgotten her manners and was cheerfully sprawled over the blanket playing the guessing game and enjoying the music. You could hear the mood change in the crowd, both hushed and exciting. She rolled up right to watch what was happening. She'd heard electric violins before, even seen them on TV, but this was her first time to hear and see one in person.

"It certainly is unique." After a momentary pause she grinned widely. "I like it."

Maybe she could persuade Ysabel to let her at least try it, just a little to see if she -really- liked it. It would be fun to try even if it wasn't her usual taste.
"Oh no need," Alex said, "But thanks. Eiryk bought me a Kindle for Christmas, I can just buy it for that."

He was a little addicted to his Kindle, he had to admit. His library was growing and growing. Alex preferred to buy books for the Kindle instead of any other way; Eiryk had bought it for him. Even if he didn't like using it (which he did, it saved trees) he would have done so anyway because it was a gift from someone he loved.

They both listened to the music, pretty focused on the interesting sound of the various percussion instruments and the electric violin. Then the music changed again and the crowd began to clap along enthusiastically; it seemed this song was popular no matter where you went.

Alex wasn't about to resist. He sat up and clapped right along to 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' as the man playing the electric violin rocked it out pretty hard, if the broken hairs on his bow were any indication.

"I think my fingers would break if I tried that. Or they'd get tied up in knots. I'd need... I don't know. Finger yoga." Alex stared at the player as the other instruments dropped out leaving the lone fiddler on stage. It was as if the entire symphony was still there. The sound flew out of the violin.

The crowd stopped clapping as the soloist ad libbed but as soon as he finished and they burst into riotous applause, regardless of the fact that the orchestra was still playing. Alex thought it was a very appropriate tune for October, and the arrangement they used had a few eerie notes in it that he was sure wasn't in the original.
Marie 12 years ago
A very thoughtful and useful gift and it just sort of made Marie smile. Although she did rather prefer actually holding a book and turning the pages. She eve rather liked dog earing the pages, but only if the book were used she'd never do that to a new book.

The music started to sound familiar, although Marie caught on a second or two after the majority of the crowd. She she did figure out what was going on she joined in the clapping. The man playing seemed rather young, and she was suitably impressed. Objectively speaking, and from a safe distance, she was also willing to concede he was also attractive.

"I'd be more worried about them bleeding.” Marie cheerfully rolled her eyes at her boss. "A new class? What night do you plan on having that one?”

Undoubtedly Eiryk would be thrilled if Alex added another night of classes. Marie didn't honestly think would be an issue though. The two men did value their time together. But she didn't think too much about that as the violinist was much to captivating. She applauded enthusiastically and gave a surprisingly loud whistle, it could be heard for quite some distance, something that would not have been appropriate in a concert hall but she felt a little bit freer in this venue.

Remembering herself Marie blushed faintly.

"I liked it.”

She said simply.
"Good point. I bet he has calluses built up from all that fiddling, but I wouldn't like to have seen his fingers when he was just learning," Alex said. Indeed, it appeared that the fiddler's fingers were practically flying over the strings of the little electric violin.

"I could squeeze it in somewhere, I bet, but I don't know if there will be much demand for Finger Yoga."

Although the idea of inventing his own yoga style was kind of appealing. Alex laughed to himself.

"Me too."

As the piece ended the orchestra set their instruments down. The conductor bowed to another huge wave of applause and left the stage to head back into the dugout area for a break. Alex noted it had been nearly forty five minutes; this was the longest he'd ever heard a symphony play without getting completely bored. reaching into his backpack he pulled out a soda and offered one to Marie.

Sipping and setting it aside Alex lay back on the blanket once more, smiling into the sun and wishing again that Eiryk were able to share this. In a sudden flash of inspiration he pulled out his phone (another gift from the boyfriend. Alex was quickly becoming spoiled and he probably should have quailed at that but for some odd reason he felt all right with it). Holding it up at arm's length he snapped a quick picture of himself and then a few more of the venue at the ballpark. Looking at the screen he sent them to Eiryk; it was a bit early for his boyfriend to be awake yet but he would see them when he got up.