The Good, the Bad, and the Boring (open)

Julian was wondering where to begin. Having made it out to this main drag of shops, stores, and bars, he'd thought he would buy some stuff for his studio. Having made that decision, he realized he didn't exactly have a clear plan of what 'stuff' entailed. Having reached that realization, he was simply wandering along waiting to see if any of the stores caught his eye. He needed food eventually, but he'd get it before he went back to his apartment.

It was after midnight but the roads were well-lit in the main areas, fading back to blackness in the alleys. Julian strolled along with his lopsided gait, not too worried about any of it, just pleased to be exploring his new city.

After a few minutes he saw a store that caught his eye, advertising home decor. It was like Pier One, but not as factory-made. It was much smaller, far more upscale. Julian might have insisted on renting his studio himself, but he hadn't cut up his credit cards or anything. He wouldn't feel bad making a few small purchases to help make the little apartment feel good to him.

Pakpao 12 years ago
The heat, the humidity, they didn't bother Pak. She loved them, felt at home. Some day she was going to try that resort out, sun and a beach... that would complete the feeling. Although, some days she wondered if she was strong enough to deal with that. Would the memories be too much?

She shoved those thoughts away. Meeting with Bao had a tenancy to make her just a little home sick. It was impossible for her to look at her creator and -not- remember who she had been, at least for a second or two. She didn't get lost in those memories, in the past any more though. It was just a flash or memory.

Tonight she was headed to the George and Dragon for a chess game. Bao preferred the Piazza, but the dark smokey atmosphere suited Pak better. The Piazza bar could just feel too upscale to her, so they alternated. She'd opted to use a parking garage at one end of the strip and walk, just to enjoy the summer weather.

Eiryk had been after her for some ideas and preferences for furniture and decor, so she was window shopping a bit too. She paused outside a small shop, peering in speculatively.

"He's the damned decorator. Why am I doing the shopping?"

Pak muttered under her breath, still looking to see if something caught her eye. Something, anything, a color, a texture, a line, anything that caught her eye.
Julian Stephenson 12 years ago
Julian saw the small Asian woman staring into the window of the store. He even heard her muttering to herself, looking annoyed. He briefly wondered why she looked so irritated. Shopping for home decor wasn't usually the sort of thing that pissed people off. Bored them, maybe, but the way the woman acted, well, not so much bored.

Julian avoided her, giving her a wide berth as he considered the store and then entered it. He had to start somewhere, even if he didn't find anything here he liked.

The place was quiet and well-organized, decorated in warm beige, dark wood, and earthy tones. He thought it seemed peaceful although he was hardly the one to make judgment calls on interior decorating. He couldn't even sit through one of those reality TV fashion shows without going all bleary-eyed and drooling a little.

He took a moment to stand at the entrance, off to the side some, and just try to figure out where to begin.
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak checked her watch, she was contrary and often wore a watch even though she routinely carried nine hundred electronic devices that would tell her the time, she had time. That and she saw a flash of something red way in the back. It was probably something stupid like a heart shaped pillow, but she thought she might as well check it out as not.

She followed a young looking blond guy in and sort of relax a little. The warm earth tones were soothing. Huh, OK so this is what Eiryk was getting at with color and mood and all that. Apparently the viking did know what he was talking about. Usually she would have headed right to the back to check out the... whatever it was but she paused for a second and smiled at the kid. She opened her mouth to say something, but something made her sneeze. It wasn't a subtle sneeze either. It was three, maybe four violent little sneezes in a row.

Pak started to rummage in her purse for a tissue, but the odds were not in her favor. There might be three 'smart' devices, cloves and a lighter, but tissues were not something she usually carried.
The Asian woman came in after him. Julian returned her smile and then blinked in surprise as she sneezed several times.

"Bless you," he said politely. She immediately began to go through her purse, presumably looking for a tissue. Julian couldn't help her there. He had his wallet on him and that was it.

He did notice a box of tissues on the counter next to the cash register though; he could hear the attendant in the small room behind the counter. They must be busy or he was sure they'd have come out to greet their customers.

Julian walked the short distance to the counter, retrieved the box, and then returned to the woman to hold it out to her. Sure, they weren't his tissues but he was pretty sure the woman having a tissue was preferable to someone sneezing all over themselves and then handling merchandise.
Pakpao 12 years ago
"Thank you."

Pak muttered. It sounded kind of nasal and a bit off. Something was tickling her nose and she was thinking about sneezing again. This was stupid, vampires didn't sneeze. Well they did, but you never heard about it.

Giving up on her purse Pak looked up and there was the 'bless you' guy with some tissues. She smiles and snatched up one or two. She rubbed her nose delicately with one, and stashed the others. Maybe a small travel pack should make their way into her purse.

"Thanks again."

She smiled again, friendly but cautious. He looked wholesome enough, young enough, but you never knew.

"I swear I don't have the plague or anything. Probably just some dust or an allergy."

It was a mild tease, just a tiny bit of humor, but that had always worked for her.
Julian smiled politely. "You're welcome," he said.

He waited until the woman had taken a few tissues and then nodded at her.
"Plague is kind of drastic," he said with a crooked grin. "Allergies and head colds came to mind first."

He returned the box of tissues to the now present cashier with a word of thanks. With another glance at the Asian woman he moved along the aisles of the small shop until he reached the back wall where there was a display of wrought iron wall sculptures. They were twisted into various designs and Julian's eye was immediately drawn to a swirling musical staff with dancing eighth notes along its length in shiny silver. Very modern, lots of movement. He really liked it. He didn't have a lot of empty wall space but this would be nice to display.

He glanced around for the Asian woman, not quite sure what to make of her and idly wondering if she was any less irritated now that she'd actually entered the store.
Pakpao 12 years ago
"But the plague is more original."

Most of her employees tended to call any type of contagious illness the plague, the creeping crud, and a few other unflattering terms. Apparently she'd caught the slang even if she couldn't catch the germs. The funny thing, well funny to her, was that she knew people who had lived through the plague, the original black death. Not that it came up in conversation often. Ever...

She watched him walk off, it seemed lie he had a bit of a limp. She wondered what caused it. But with humans (and she always assumed some one was a human until proven otherwise) it could be just about anything.

Not thinking too much of it she wandered back to check out her 'red' thing. It proved to be rather atrocious. So she hadn't spent more than two seconds looking at it. She wandered slowly back through the store and paused to look at some wall art. Some of it was quiet eye catching. Her eyes were drawn to a more abstract piece. While she liked it it sort of felt like cheating to buy it from a store like this rather than find a one of a kind piece.

Noticing that she was next to the blond again she half smiled and tried making polite conversation.

"Looking for something particular?"
A few minutes later found Julian standing next to the Asian woman again as he looked at the rest of the sculptures on the wall of the store. He wanted to check out all his options before he bought something, since it wasn't likely he could fit two into the small studio apartment space.

She was friendly enough now that she wasn't muttering under her breath. He returned her smile.
"No, not really" he answered. "I just need something to personalize a small space a little bit. You?" He looked at her curiously. "You didn't seem too excited to be here when you were standing outside before."

He looked at another sculpture in metal, a vertical swirling column of abstract spirals dotted with leaves and vines. Not bad. He could appreciate the poetry of making such a delicate looking structure out of metal. It appealed to his artistic side.
Pakpao 12 years ago
"About the same." Pak admited with a bit of a shrug. "Although I'm not sure how personal it is if I buy it here."

It wasn't like this was a massive chain store but it was still mass produced art and she didn't want her place to look like page sixty seven of some catalog. But it also seemed a bit extream to have all one of a kind hand made etc. So she was looking, with Eriyk's help, for a balance.

Pak had the good grace to look a little apologetic at that comment. Usually she was fairly approchable but between decorating and Bao, apparently not so much tonight.

"Sorry a friend is helping me with a new place and I've been... Reluctant to go looking for anything but apparently it is rough on him if even I don't know what I want the finished product to look like."

Pak got a better look at the guy as they spoke. The network of scars made her more certain he was human, she'd yet to meet a vampire that baddly marked. Although, she didn't know if werewolves would scar like that. And as Pak still rather hoped to meet a wolf, it was an interesting question.
Julian didn't take offense at the woman's words; he wasn't the easily offended type, and frankly, any sort of artwork on his wall was personal enough for him so long as he picked it out and thought it reflected his tastes. Besides it wasn't as if he was going to live in a little studio apartment forever, he thought. One of these days he would save up enough for his own place. A condo or something. The symphony had been generous with their offer, considering how young he was in the music scene. It wasn't like he was going to go out and buy a mansion but when the paychecks started coming he'd be able to save a little bit if he was thrifty.

He wondered why she felt the need to apologize. He'd just made an observation. He smiled at her though.
"Maybe he just wants to get an idea of what you like. If you find a couple things he might have an easier time of it from there."

Julian knew nothing about decorating, but he could only guess that it had to be a difficult job. He didn't think he'd be very good at trying to guess what kind of colors or styles someone would like just from talking to them. Maybe he'd stand a chance if he somehow immersed himself in their surroundings for a few days... assuming he were interested in doing so.

The woman's eyes were not focused entirely on his face; Julian was growing used to that. He wondered if he should take care to cover up his scars. He didn't mind them really but others seemed to, sometimes. He was wearing shorts and a tee so many of them were perfectly visible. He wasn't exactly disfigured but no one could miss them.

"I'm sorry," he said, as much to pull the woman's attention away from the somewhat unsightly web of scars on his neck as to be polite. "My name is Julian." He held out his hand. "What's yours?"
Pakpao 12 years ago
She nodded. Apparently every one got this but her, that or the kid (OK so he wasn't a kid she looked younger than he did but you tended to forget that after you had a few centuries under your belt) was very perceptive.

"That's what he's said too, actually he was a bit more forceful than that and not quite as polite."

Eiryk didn't often lose his temper but he had, at least a little, with her. Something about not doing all the work and if she rejected one more design out of hand without any sort of input she'd be seeing the gates of Valhalla long before he did. She had of course countered that they didn't do the whole Valhalla thing in Siam and the whole mess had just turned into an argument. But even that hadn't gotten Eiryk down, once they'd finished argued he'd bounced back to his cheerful self and managed to coax her into a good mood too as well as giving her some tips to help them both out.

She hadn't been staring, but Pak had been paying more attention than strictly necessary to his scars, she let him pull her attention away from them and made a note to mind her manners. Pak took the offered hand and gave it her best friendly/professional shake. He was being nice, she would be too.

"Pakpao. Nice to meet you."

He had been talking about personalizing a space. It was possible he'd just moved to a new place or moved into town. So she asked the obvious.

"Just arrived into Nachton?"
Julian recited the woman's name in his head so as not to forget it. As if he would... it was a unique name. Pack-Pow. He wondered what nationality she was.

"Pakpao. Nice to meet you too."

He laughed softly and looked down at himself humorously.
"Do I have a stamp? Does it show?" He shrugged. "I just got here. Tonight. I was too amped to sleep so I thought I may as well start learning the city. You? Have you lived here long?"

His eyes traveled back to the musical note sculpture, which reinforced in his mind the fact that it ought to come home with him. He filed the reminder away and glanced briefly through a selection of elaborate candle holders. They were interesting but he wasn't big on candles... not in a tiny apartment. Maybe in a bigger space.
Pakpao 12 years ago
"No it doesn't show." She laughed slightly as she guessed right. "I figured you either had to be moving in town or moving places the way you talked."

Pak wondered what brought him to town. Based on his apparent age she'd guess a job rather than school or a family. While she was curious she wasn't going to be nosy, if it came up, it came up.

"No point staying cooped up if you need out."

She agreed easily enough. She wondered though if travel at night was a necessity for him though, it was just a passing thought though.

"A while now. I honestly don't remember when I got here. Maybe I qualify as a native now."

The idea made her grin a little. Of course she wasn't but Nachton was as much home as Siam or France or anywhere else she'd ever lived had been. Maybe more so with her family all here.
Julian smoothed his hands down his shirt, affecting a look of relief. "Oh good. Can't have just anyone thinking I'm a complete newb, right?"

He smiled.
"I'm starting a job with the symphony this weekend," he said by way of explanation for his move. "I can't exactly practice this time of night. I doubt the neighbors would enjoy it."

The walls of his apartment had yet to be tested but he wasn't expecting miracles. Julian didn't want to get off on the wrong foot with the people he lived next to.

He nodded when Pakpao said she'd been around for a while. It was vague, but Julian didn't really mind. he looked at another piece of art, this one consisting of circles within circles, all in different metal tones, arranged to cascade down the wall. It wasn't bad, but he thought he still preferred the music piece.

"So what are you looking for?" he asked. "or are you just here to appease your temperamental designer?"
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak quirked a slight smile at his humor.

"Well if you do anything too stupid you can just claim it is your first day. It isn't a bad defense some times."

That was impressive. Jobs in the arts were getting hard to come by. Apparently culture was not an essential budget item these days. Nachton seemed to defy that trend, at least it seemed to her that the city did better in that arena. She wondered if that was influence of the clans and the money that tended to come along with old vampires.

"Really? Congrats. What do you play?"

If he was good enough to be hired by the symphony she doubted the neighbors would complain too much. Depending on hours of the day he chose to play and what hours his neighbors kept. OK maybe they would complain.

"Well could and should are two different things and maybe not the best first impression. Forget what I said about the 'my first day' defense."

She noticed he was still looking at the art and wondered if she was disturbing him. But he didn't seem annoyed.

"I'm looking for ideas. Just things that I like so he can come up with a plan... at least that is what he tells me. He said something about cutting things out of magazines but I think that might be a bit much for me."
Julian looked back down at Pakpao. "Thank you. I play the violin. In a variety of different ways."

He laughed softly as she took back what she said about her defense.
"Yeah... I don't really think midnight is ideal for violin playing for anyone. I guess if any of the neighbors work nights... wow, I hope that isn't the case. I have to practice at some point."

He hadn't considered that in a city known for its night life, it was entirely possible that some of the folks he lived around would be trying to sleep at nine in the morning. Then he shrugged.
"If I have to, I can go practice someplace else."

It would be a pain in the ass, but it was very possible. He'd done so in the past.

When Pakpao mentioned the designer's idea, Julian raised his eyebrows.
"That actually sounds like a great idea," he said. "I'm surprised you didn't jump on it if you don't like to shop. You could flip through magazines, show him what you like, and not bother with even setting foot outside. I wish I could do it that way."

Why go to the trouble of hoofing it around the city when you could point and click?

"You could probably just go online and print him out some pictures."
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak loved the violin. It had always just appealed to her it had such an expressive voice and much like her own moods it could go from light, cheerful and playful to somber and melancholy instantly, with nothing in between. Granted it was a little bit jarring when that happened but she understood it. Her eyes lit up slightly, impressed and pleased.

"I'm a bit of a night owl. You're welcome to play at midnight or later around me."

There had to be a school or hell the opera house and concert hall probably had facilities for the artists to practice at all hours. He'd be well take care of. But she'd not mind if she happened to wander across some practice sessions.

She laughed. Yeah that did make sense now that he put it that way.

"Funny when you say it, it sounds less like a first grade art project. I just happened to be out tonight and thought I'd try it this way... but now I might just send him an email with a ton of links."

That might be fun actually. Maybe MARI could help. It would be interesting to see what she thought of the project.

"I could give you his card if you'd like. Even if you didn't want to hire him I'm sure he'd give you a list of stores you might like."

Probably free of charge. Eiryk could be far too damned helpful some times.
Julian was surprised at Pakpao's forwardness. They were just having a polite 'yuck, shopping' chat, weren't they? Had she just hit on him? He was a little out of practice. He determined that she was just being friendly and smiled. "I'll bear that in mind."

He didn't think it would be relevant any time soon, really. But he supposed, if he were in the habit of playing at midnight or later, it was good to know there was one person in Nachton he wouldn't piss off.

Julian nodded a little more enthusiastically when Pakpao seemed to see his point about the magazine-cutting and, even better, the emailing. He silently apologized to her decorator, whoever he was. Hopefully he hadn't made someone's life harder.

"Oh no, no, that's all right," Julian said, waving his hand in the air in denial. "I'm actually okay with personalizing my space with some prefabricated machine-made art."

In spite of Pakpao's earlier words, Julian was just joking. Stores like this weren't for everyone. But hey, he was a single guy just looking to stick something on a wall to make it look more interesting... it worked for him.
He was hardly about to hire a decorator, even just for advice.

"I just have a tiny little studio apartment," he explained. "It's not something that requires much in the way of decoration. I just wanted something other than an off-white wall. Or is it ecru? Or ivory? Who knows." He shrugged and grinned, indicating that it didn't really matter to him.
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak smiled and wasn't really surprised he'd turn down the offer of a decorator. She didn't know too many guys, especially of Julian's age who were too worried about the decor of their home. They just didn't want to look at four white walls.

"At least it is a step up from old band posters."

Or maybe that was a geek thing, the old band posters. So far this young man didn't strike her as a geek. He seemed thoughtful. Maybe it was an artsy thing. Either way it did make her chuckle a little bit.

"I might be making to big a deal out of this. It really shouldn't be so hard."

She said with a relaxed grin. OK she was being an idiotic perfectionist. No wonder she was driving Eiryk crazy.

"I think they call it eggshell. Or is that the finish? Matte? High gloss? How can they make white so complicated? But I can totally understand wanting some color in there."

Heck that was part of what was driving her crazy about her old place, so much white it was like a hotel. This pace she was putting color on the walls. Maybe something like this, the war earthy tones were comfortable.
Julian blinked at Pakpao. "Damn, are we all that generic? How did you know about my posters?"

Well, it could hardly have been a difficult guess. What guy didn't have a bunch of posters on his walls? Then again Julian was pretty sure he hadn't had any since he was about seventeen and all of those had been of various symphonies, not necessarily bands. Man, he was kind of a geek wasn't he.

"You might be," he said, smiling and offering Pakpao a brief nod, "but then, if you didn't find it hard would you have hired a decorator?"

It made sense to him. Privately he thought she seemed to be worrying way too much about it. Maybe she entertained rich influential foreign dignitaries on a regular basis and decor was important. Otherwise, he didn't get it.

They did seem to agree on the topic of colors though. Julian shrugged at her.
"Got me," he said. "Someone needed a job and thought they could make a career out of the difference between eggshell, white, and ecru."