Time Flies (Attn Ysabel)

Ambrose had just gotten back from a two week long stint in New York City. He hated being away from Ysabel that long but when you got work, you took it. Especially since this was a name and they'd asked for him. And even more so, because he'd just made a pretty pricey purchase.

Marie had class tonight, God she was growing up fast, so Ambrose suggested they go out for a bit. It was hot out, the gardens sounded nice. Ysabel had agreed and they'd driven into the city. Her parked, in a handicapped spot, near they entrance got out of the truck and walked around and opened the door for Belle to help her out.

Absently he checked the moon. That was part of the reason he was OK with taking a walk tonight, it was two nights after the full moon. Still enough bright silvery light to be romantic, but less threat of a snarling beast charging at them trying to rip their throats out.

"Its a nice night out..."

It was a lame desperate conversational gambit but, he was sort of nervous. Ambrose was trying not to let it show but he was a little... huh... yeah... nervous.

Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel slid her arm into Ambrose's and they strolled into Vesper together. She loved walking here. It brought to mind a bygone era when walking in a garden was tantamount to a marriage proposal, when manners were so much different than they were today.

The scents of night flowers wafted all around them, sweet but not cloying. The gardens were quiet tonight, relaxing. There weren't very many people here but that was normal unless there was a special event happening.

Ysabel looked up at Ambrose, recognizing the stressed tone of voice. He'd been gone for a long time. Sometimes he came home and felt guilty about having been away so long, and then worked hard to make it up to her. She didn't need it; she was always just happy to have him back.

"I missed you, Amber," she sighed, laying her head on his shoulder briefly as they walked. "I'm so glad you're home."
Ambrose 12 years ago
God damned. How did she do that?! One little gesture, just that head on his shoulder and the idea of her missing him and Ambrose was flustered as all hell. You'd think he was a teenage boy.

"It is always good to be home."

Back with you. That was the rest of it, but he left it unsaid. Ambrose left a lot unsaid and he knew it. It was a wonder Belle put up with him. She could have any guy she wanted, some one who'd say these things. Well she could have... until they'd met. Now if any guy even thought about trying to pick her up Ambrose would shoot the bastard's knee caps out, at the very least.

They crunched along the gravel path, arm in arm, Ambrose relying less on his cane than he had when they first met and absently heading them to the fountain in the center of the garden.

"I think they might pick me up for another gig... in Seattle. That would be a least a week, maybe a month..."

He was debating not taking it he really hated the idea of being gone so long. Of course, Damaris was here and she'd help keep an eye on Ysabel and the waif but that still left him without Ysabel.

"Have you ever been out that way?"
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel smiled. She understood the words Ambrose never said. She didn't know how she understood them; she just did. He'd never mentioned love to her but it was obvious that was what was in his heart. Ambrose didn't discuss feelings. He didn't talk about "us" and he never wanted to be seen as soft. With Ambrose one had to look at the actions and his love was evident in the way he held her arm, opened doors for her, offered to shoot people in her defense.

She looked up at him in slight alarm at his news.
"A month?" Her brow furrowed a little bit. She would never try to tell him not to but a month without Ambrose would feel very long.

"No," she said faintly. "I've never been on the west coast at all. Mostly here in Nachton, and a little bit up and down the coast."

Ysabel didn't travel unless she wanted to. She had familiars; her father had familiars. They did the traveling.

"Have you been to Seattle?"

Of course Ambrose had traveled the west extensively but this was the pacific northwest. As far as Ysabel knew, it was very different.
Ambrose 12 years ago
That little furrow just about made up his mind that he wouldn't take the job. It wasn't smart for his career, but he wouldn't leave Belle like that. For all that she took pains to appear delicate and feminine, she wasn't helpless. Ambrose knew that, but damned it he wasn't about to go off and leave her alone like that.

"Its still in the air. They might not even want me. My agent will say something with a few weeks notice I wouldn't worry about it."

He was a little surprised she hadn't seen the Pacific Northwest. Ambrose always just assumed that Ysabel was more worldly, more educated, more traveled. Apparently this was one area he had her beat in. He nodded with a slightly wicked grin.

"Yeah, I've been once or twice. It was ... a fun town."

There had been some wild times up there and he'd done a little work up there in the nineties, not much but some. He'd liked it better back in the day than in the grunge era thought.

"I was thinking you and the waif might like to come up for a week or two, even just a weekend if the gig goes through."

Which he knew damned well Belle would understand as him saying he didn't want to be away that long and he'd miss the hell out of her.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel looked up at Ambrose again in surprise. "Oh course they'll want you," she said, indignant on his behalf. "They would be lucky to have you."

Month long leave or not, Ysabel was hardly going to pass up a chance to defend Ambrose. It wasn't false pride. He was an excellent musician and in spite of his gruff manner it was rare for him to not be requested for a second booking, and another and another.

Ysabel recognized that tone of Amber's. It was the one he used when he had an idea and was hoping Ysabel would be inspired to believe it was her idea while getting what he wanted. Which, in this case, was the company of his family.

"Oh I don't know," she said, an air of impishness in her tone. "I don't want to make you nervous by being there. And Marie has her classes. We're far too busy."

She looked off to the side innocently.
""I'm sure you won't miss us. After all, you have groupies."
Ambrose 12 years ago
That was sweet, grinned down at Belle. There was no guarantee they would want him. He was pretty sure they wouldn't want another back up but they might prefer not to use any extra musicians. It was just how it was. His grin dissolved into a half laugh as they continued to walk.

Now that was down right low. She knew and so she was being contrary just to give him hell. Well he did like it was she was a little ornery, funny old thing even when she was ornery Belle was agreeable about it.

"I knew her signing up for the summer term was a mistake."

He grumbled.

Ambrose wasn't as good at reading Belle as she was at reading him, but he still had half an idea the response she was trying to inspire. He chose not to play hard to get. Stopping suddenly he pulled Ysabel to him, slightly roughly, not over the top but with some oomph and held her close bending down to kiss her, deeply, aggressively. He took his time, savoring, and when he finally set Belle back down it was with a satisfied little nod.

"Yeah... groupies. Sure."

The only thing the groupies were good for were meals. That had been true since... well since he met Ysabel. Not that he'd often used them for anything else but even that stopped when he started dating Ysabel, even before they'd moved in.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel laughed as Ambrose declined to take her bait, although it hadn't exactly been a well-laid trap. She gasped, her laugh cut short, as he grabbed her and tugged her close, descending upon her lips like a hawk upon a mouse. She flung her arms around his neck and kissed him shamelessly back, something she would have hesitated to do in public before meeting him.

Now, though, it was utterly perfect and completely reasonable to be pressed intimately close to Ambrose no matter where they were, tasting the welcome intrusion of his thrusting tongue, clawing softly at the nape of his neck with her polished fingernails. Ysabel sighed into his kiss, doing her best not to wrap her legs around him as well. If she did she was pretty sure she would find herself tumbled into a jasmine bush and, as pleasant as that sounded, she would really prefer not to be caught naked with Ambrose on top of her in the middle of Vesper.

Besides, waiting only made it more enjoyable later.

"All right," she said, beaming when he finally released her. "If you go to Seattle, we'll come along for a little vacation."

She was perfectly willing to be kissed into submission.
Ambrose 12 years ago
She might play the lady but Ysabel was not at all shy when it came to this. Ambrose had been looking for a dark side pat, a dead end, something off main path. But some how Belle seemed to read his mind and pulled away. Ambrose growled his frustration and disapproval, but he always at least tried to respect her limits on public displays.

At least he'd gotten what he wanted out of it, even if he had resorted to one of Ysabel's tricks. Still Ambrose just nodded, satisfied. His arm again went around Belle and he started them down the path again.

"It doesn't have to be the whole month, but a week or two, I don't want to mess with the waif's studies after all."

He'd grown to like the girl, she was still a little shy with others. He didn't think she'd ever had a date. But she was a good kid and do every thing she could for Ysabel.

As they walked Ambrose felt something in his pocket dig into his leg. His mind wandered a little.

"You're happy right Belle? I mean... you don't want any some one.... more polished?"

It wasn't like Ambrose to beat around the bush but in this case he couldn't just come out and say what he wanted.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel turned to regard Ambrose curiously. "What?"

Ambrose had never expressed this sort of uncertainty with her before. Ysabel was immediately alarmed. Was he having doubts himself? But he'd kissed her so passionately a moment ago.

"Amber, are you all right?"

Ysabel turned toward Ambrose, concern in every line of her body.
"Of course I'm happy," she said, her voice solemn, soft but firm.

"How could I possibly want someone else? No one else is you."

She felt her heart flutter; did he want someone else? Ysabel had never doubted Ambrose in these past five years. She'd thought he was equally happy with her. She'd seen men come and go in her time but Ambrose was the first vampire she had ever loved. What would she do without him?

Ysabel looked down to hide the telltale shine in her eyes that heralded imminent tears. She was suddenly very afraid.
Ambrose 12 years ago
"Yeah... I mean... I'm fine... I just..."

Ambrose turned to look at Ysabel and immediately started kicking himself. God damned it. She was so good with words and he was so bad at it. She'd obviously misunderstood what he was asking. He just wanted to know if she wouldn't rather have some one, smarter, smoother... more mannered and more socially acceptable.

"God damned Belle its not like that it..."

He hadn't meant to growl, but he didn't know how -not- to growl.

"... you could do better. That's all."

Ambrose barley managed to say those words and they hurt his pride quite a bit. But he could be honest, even with himself. When the occasion called for it.

"I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't getting in your way or embarrassing you or anything."

Through all this Ambrose hadn't let Ysabel go. In fact he only held her tighter. Where words often failed him actions rarely did. What he was trying to say was the only way he'd let Belle go was if -she- asked him to and Ambrose had to know she didn't want him to. He didn't relish the idea of getting shot down.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel felt her heart lift immediately at Ambrose's words. His stammer, his cursing, and most of all the arm tight like iron around her waist, told her he didn't want to be free of her. She wrapped her arms around him tightly and hugged him.

"Don't be silly, Ambrose," she said softly, vastly relieved, looking back up at him once she regained control of her threatening tears.

"I don't want anyone else. I just want you, Ambrose."

Ysabel waved her hand dismissively.
"I have been in my own way for long enough. I have done plenty for my family. But you are mine, and I wouldn't give you up for anything."

She'd married human after human to increase the Yolgrave family fortune. Now that such things were no longer necessary, Ysabel had finally felt free to love who she wanted. If that someone came in the form of a prickly grouchy cowboy, well, it was her choice, wasn't it? Her parents had expressed nothing but happiness that she had found someone to love.
Ambrose 12 years ago
Well that was a relief. He'd suspected as much but he did appreciate hearing it. It occurred to Ambrose maybe he should actually say something to Ysabel. Sure there were three little words but they just didn't exactly fall off the tongue. Besides, actions spoke louder than words. He grinned a little, clearly satisfied with the answer and himself. And totally unaware that it gave him a very boyish appearance.

"Yeah?' he paused for a second considering this before adding, "Good."

She held him just as tightly as he held her and it felt good. Especially knowing that Belle had acted as a pawn for her family. He didn't care for the idea of her doing so again. That was part of his reason for doing this. Just a tiny part though.

He had his confidence back, but no idea how to move on to the next part. He had no idea what to do or to say. It was just... well it had to be done. Not just had to Ambrose realized he -wanted- to, possibly needed to. Hell he was trying to talk her into coming to Seattle for no good reason, apparently need was closer to the truth.

"Come on, let's find this damned fountain."

Yeah he was stalling, but he had to think this out. He probably should have done that before hand but it was too late for that now.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel walked alongside Ambrose once more as he set off toward the middle of the Garden. She laughed softly. "But we know where the fountain is," she protested, her bubbly mood restored by the fact that Ambrose didn't appear to have been looking for something or someone different.

She dropped his arm, twining her fingers with his instead as they strolled along the fragrant, colorful paths. "I remember meeting you here," she said with a soft smile.
"You were so handsome. Bowing over my hand."

Ysabel smiled up at Ambrose.
"It was so sweet. No one does that anymore. I loved it."

Ambrose had always been mannerly with her. More so than she knew he was inclined to be. But he seemed to enjoy it, and she enjoyed being the only person to be a constant recipient of such favor.
Ambrose 12 years ago
Ambrose didn't have a good answer for that. What was important was that Belle was playing. Obviously the mood of the evening hadn't been destroyed by his clumsy ass attempt to make sure they were on the same page. That was a relief.

Leaning over and kissed her on the cheek. If it had been in his nature Ambrose would have blushed at her memory.

"Well.... I wanted to make an impression. As I recall there was some other yahoo trying to sweep you off your feet and I wasn't going to loose."

He hadn't understood then and he didn't now but he'd been instantly attracted to Belle. And as they spoke she'd proven to be kind and understanding and down right charming... and a few other things.

"I'm not so good at losing."
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel smiled at the little bit of insecurity from Ambrose, who was normally the textbook definition of confident.

"You needn't have worried," she laughed softly. "It really was you from the moment I met you."

As they came to the center of the Gardens Ysabel wondered where this conversation was leading. While she wasn't afraid anymore, she was definitely curious. Ambrose didn't do emotional often. Or at all, really.

She walked over to the fountain and stood next to it, watching the flowing water, enjoying the sound of it in the quiet night.

Turning to Ambrose she asked,
"You're happy here, right? In Nachton?"

He'd never seemed unhappy here. Was it that he was ready for a new city, perhaps, and wanted to move? It would be problematic with Marie in college now but if he was willing to wait, Ysabel would go with him anywhere and Marie would go where her vampire went.
Ambrose 12 years ago
That answer very much appealed to Ambrose's vanity. He didn't believe in love in first sight then, and he didn't now. He just knew that he wanted Belle almost from the second he lay eyes on her. Of course he'd also wanted her for dinner and wound up with her as a lover but you didn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Out of habit he pulled a coin from his pocket, his hand brushed up against something else in there and damned if that something else wasn't getting heavier by the second, and tossed it in the fountain.

"Huh? Happy? Yeah. You're here."

He just shrugged. That was the answer. Sure, part of Ambrose still wasn't enamored of big cities. And he missed some things about the west, even the dry miserable desert heat that didn't let up not even in the dead of night. But at the same time he'd never been tied to any one place, never had and probably never would be. He'd never been tied to another person either. Well, Damaris, but that was different and she'd made it clear from the start he didn't have to stay with her very long.

Jamming his hand back in his pocket his knuckle grazed the corner of the little box and he swore under his breath. That hurt, not a lot but enough to be annoying. Awwww hell he was just dragging this out. He pulled the little box from his pocket, it was plain and ordinary given no indication of its contents at all.

"Here... I... well I got this in New York for you. If you want it."

He knew it would fit, he'd made damned sure of that. And it was a pain in the ass to size things like this without the other person knowing what you were up to. Having offered her the box Ambrose studied the fountain with a very intense concentration, a little nervous about how she'd react.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel smiled at Ambrose's answer to her question. He shrugged, tossed a coin into the fountain. She could always tell when the topic at hand was important to him. The more it mattered, the more he acted like it didn't. So his apparent indifference made her happy. Reading Ambrose was sometimes a study in contradictions. She'd learned early on never to judge by his words.

He handed her a little box and Ysabel looked at him curiously, but with a smile. Every once in a while he brought something back with him that he thought she'd like. It pleased her that he was thinking of her.

Opening the plain square box she found a little black velvet jewelry box inside, with the DeBeers logo on it. Her heart did a girlish little flip-flop - what woman's wouldn't? Taking the jewelry box out she opened the hinged lid and gasped at the trinket within.

"Ambrose! This is... beautiful."

She looked up at him, questioningly. Had he just given her an engagement ring? It was beautiful, set in platinum, shaped like an antique rose, gleaming brightly and sparkling even in the dim light here.
Ambrose 12 years ago
It had taken ages to pick out and he'd had to ask for help, not always his thing, but once he'd been shown the ring Ambrose was convinced it was the one. Sort of old fashioned but not stodgy. It also had a way of looking delicate even though it certainly wasn't, all in all it sort of reminded him of Belle.

For as much as he was trying not to watch, or at least look like he wasn't watching, Ambrose was very -very- aware of Ysabel's reaction. The gasp was good, at least he thought it was. It was the look on her face that he couldn't quite place.

He'd never given her a ring before. Some ear rings, a necklace, even a bracelet here and there but never a ring. It had never been much and while it had all been good quality, most of it antiques, none of it had been like this. Damned it... she was going to make him say it wasn't she?

Ambrose tried. He really did, but he just couldn't. Yeah he wanted to make an honest woman out of her but he couldn't say it. Instead he just kind of nodded.

"I'm glad you like it. I wasn't quite sure about it.
Ysabel 12 years ago
Ysabel continued to look up at Ambrose curiously, wondering if she should make him ask or not. In the end she just handed him the ring, looking at him expectantly, and held out her left hand.

"It doesn't count if I put it on myself," she said a little plaintively. He didn't have to say it if he didn't want to, but he could slip it on her finger for her.

"What about it weren't you sure of?" She asked as she waited patiently for him to do so.

His statement could have meant any number of things. Maybe he wasn't sure she'd like the ring; Ysabel was picky about her jewelry, having quite the antique collection. Maybe it was the sentiment; he wasn't exactly afraid of commitment, but actually formalizing it wasn't necessarily Ambrose's thing. Whatever it was, Ysabel hoped he'd gotten over it.
Ambrose 12 years ago
Taking the ring he couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief as he took to box. An easy grin took up residence on his face. Ambrose opened the box removed the ring and slid the box in his pocket. It was just like Belle to call him on manners and formality. He really should have thought of this.

Taking her hand and slid the ring on her finger. It looked... perfect. As he had when they first met Ambrose bowed over Ysabel's hand and lightly kissed the back of her hand.

"I wasn't sure you'd like it."

The ring that was. He really had no eye for this sort of thing and had to rely on the sales person. At least he'd learned a few terms relating to diamonds and could more or less fake a few things. He thought he'd picked the stone well.

"And... I wasn't sure you'd say yes."

He said quietly, conveniently over looking the fact that he'd not actually asked anything for her to say yes or no. But that was a formality.