Something to Write Home About

It wasn't summer, not by the calendar, at least Damaris didn't think it was. It was warm out though. She, however, didn't care. Damaris was comfortably curled up next to a small fire in the library. In a minor concession to the season, she had traded out her usual hot tea for a large glass of iced tea.

She read through a long hand written letter flicking the nails of her thumb and ring fingers together. The letter was from her brother father, Graham. It was a title that she used in more lighthearted moments to poke fun at Graham teasing him for the mistake he'd made as a very young vampire that resulted in her still being alive. The letter, however, was not terribly lighthearted. It was down right perplexing.

Damaris knew that he had been working on a side project, not anything official but he had been following this for years, decades maybe a century. She'd always thought he was a bit insane of course her brother had cheerfully agreed on more than one occasion. Up until tonight she hadn't known much about it, just that it had something to do with werewolves.

She'd only ever seen one wolf in her life and if she hadn't seen the massive white beast with her own eyes, she would never have believed in them no matter what Graham had said. The damned wolf had been smart too. Damaris would swear to this day that the creature knew what she was doing. It had gotten between her and a meal and held her at bay and got the human away. What stood out though, was despite its size and obvious ability to inflict injury the white wolf had not hurt her, had never even made an attempt to harm her at all. The wolf had bullied and threatened but never gotten close enough to do damage. It still puzzled her.

Picking up her iced tea Damaris looked up as some one else entered the room.

"What do you know about werewolves boy?"

She asked her youngest offspring without ceremony. It was something they had never discussed.

Ambrose 12 years ago
God damned it. Ambrose didn't spend a lot of time in the library, he just wasn't exactly book oriented. But he was doing a favor for Belle and Marie, and pulling a book his girl's familiar needed. But, apparently the saying was true. No good deed went unpunished.

Actually, he hadn't seen much of Damaris other than the one courtesy call she'd paid on him. And that had degenerated into an argument inside of ten minutes. Ambrose wouldn't admit it but that argument had actually felt good. It was her way of showing she cared.

Leaning heavily on his cane, primarily to annoy her, he started. That was not a question he'd expected so he answered honestly.

"Mean sons of bitches... literally."

The brawl in the preserve still occasionally left Ambrose unsettled. His resulting research left him edgy whenever Ysabel or Marie wanted to go out during the full moon.

"Gonna tell me why you're asking or be mysterious?"

She could go either way and Ambrose wasn't in the mood to play games tonight. Hell he wasn't ever in the mood to play games, well unless Belle was the one he was playing with.
Damaris 12 years ago
Damaris' eyebrows shot up and she gave Ambrose her full attention. She looked her offspring up and down and wondered exactly what his answer meant.

"You stop being mysterious and I just might play straight with you too."

She gestured to Ambrose to sit down, which he did as far from the fire as he could get and still easily converse. He moved somewhat stiffly, it was better than the last time she'd seen him but still it shouldn't be quite so bad. She gave the cane a hard stare as well.

"You don't need that you know. When do you plan on giving it up?"

Determined not to pick a fight with Ambrose Damaris immediately changed the subject.

"So tell me why you know this about wolves?"
Ambrose 12 years ago
Ambrose just glowered at the woman who'd turned him. She was one of the few people Ambrose knew who could out stubborn him. He hated having to tip his hand before she did, but knew they'd be her all night if he didn't And Ambrose had better things to do with his night.

"So ask a straight question. You're the one cross I know something."

Sitting down he opted to ignore the question. It would just lead to an argument. Maybe, just maybe he'd take Damaris out riding. He was fairly certain that she'd get the hell off his back if she saw he was finally getting better. Just because she wasn't quite approving of his path didn't make it less valid. So he just snorted derisively dismissing the question.

"Right place right time... wrong time. Not sure which."

Ambrose went on to describe the brawl he'd witnessed and how damned beat up Rashid and ended up. It had been some months but Ambrose did his best not to miss any details and to tell Damaris everything he knew, he could remember.

"Honestly I never tried to find any of the wolves. I thought about it... but..."
Damaris 12 years ago
It was a hard thing not to interrupt him and ask questions as Ambrose talked. Some how she managed though. Damaris stayed curled up in her chair for all intents and purposes calmly sipping at her tea. It was a good blend, she'd have to ask the servants who made it, what it was. But the soft click of her nails against each other made it pretty clear she was not only concentrating very hard but rather upset.

Damned it, she disliked the idea that Ambrose had gotten mixed up in this, even indirectly. But what he said gave Graham letter some credence. Not only that it suddenly made sense why he'd want her to do some nosing around while here in Nachton.

"Well... that's not something you don't hear every day is it."

She mused aloud after Ambrose finished. She couldn't fault him for not going looking for the wolves either. Not after what he described, at least he'd learned that they were dangerous and wasn't about to under estimate them. That made her job at least a little bit easier.

"OK what did you do about it?"

He didn't fire a shot, he'd not confronted Rashid and wasn't sure who the other two were although he said he'd seen the woman around a jazz joint he played sometimes. So that was one more person she might want to make contact with. Might. She didn't know Rashid, she'd just heard a few things about him here and there so she didn't know his character and if she could work with him. Or if she wanted to expose Graham's damned foolishness to anyone outside their little family. But the point in all this rambling was, she couldn't see Ambrose doing nothing about it.
Ambrose 12 years ago
Damned strange that Damaris didn't interrupt him. Usually she had no issues jumping in with questions. Ambrose concluded that her silence, undivided attention, and the slight clicking of her nails to mean she was working. That was interesting. What could she be working on with werewolves and why hadn't they ever talked about these critters before?

"Not much truth be told. They didn't do anything to me and Rashid did get away."

In several pieces and with some help but he did get away and he was up and kicking. The wolves had taken their fair share (possibly more than their fair share) of hits as well and it just wasn't Ambrose's fight. He didn't know any of the parties well enough to get involved and he made it a rule not to horn in on another man's grudge match. It was a good way to get shot, or mauled apparently.

"Did some research around here on the other half of the fight, learned a little bit about them started carrying silver bullets just in case."

He shrugged. It was down right odd that they as a race and as a clan had let this information just kind of die out. Damned stupid to assume their 'victory' was that complete. It only took one of the beasts to start an army. Just one and a whole lot of time. They had apparently had enough time...
Damaris 12 years ago
She nodded, satisfied with that answer. Some people might have taken it for callousness or laziness that he didn't follow up on any of what he'd seen. Damaris understood; it was etiquette. Rashid was a member of The Hunt if he wanted help he'd ask. And going poking around the wolves might lead to some fun political consequences. No, Ambrose made a good call as far as she was concerned.

What was bothering her is that she didn't know Rashid well enough to just ask him about this casually. Instead this would have to be done the long way and she'd have to go to Graham to see if he knew anything about it or who the other two might be. See this is why she didn't fit in with her brother and father; much better to just flat out ask questions than go fishing around for information. But as this wasn't her show, she'd play by Graham's rules.

"Well that's something. I suppose."

She paused for a second and gulped down the remains of her tea.

"Where do you get your silver bullets? And for which gun?"

Damaris was quite capable with a fire arm and if she was going to get involved... well it might pay to be properly armed. She didn't really anticipate this turning violent but who could understand a wolf?

It finally seemed time to get to the point. Ambrose had been more than patent and he could see him getting a little edgy.

"At any rate. Graham has asked me to do some nosing around and in a round about way it might have to do with these beasties. You up for helping out? Watching my back if I need it?"
Ambrose 12 years ago
"Make them myself, mostly for the Colt. More a precaution than anything I'm not out to tangle with them."

Ambrose had no desire or reason to pick a fight with the wolves, but he wasn't going to be caught with his pants down. He had set up in a safe spot what he needed to make his own bullets. He couldn't make many but, as he had said it was just a precaution. He just wanted to be able to stop them if he had to.

Damaris didn't favor a gun, oh she could use one well enough and was a good shot, he just knew it wasn't her favorite.

"What I've read has talked about putting silver on the edge of your blade. Probably would work better for you."

He knew his creator and her preferred weapons. Ambrose had no problem envisioning her whipping that damned big claymore around in the moonlight with a silver edge. Realistically she'd probably put the edge on a dagger or something smaller, more concealable, just like not all his bullets were silver just a few rounds.

"Graham has been known to get you in trouble, exactly how nosey are you planning on getting?"

The question of having her back Ambrose didn't even acknowledge. That wasn't an issue, they might bicker but if she went in, he'd go in after her. He just wanted to know if he what he was dealing with, or at least what she thought they were dealing with.
Damaris 12 years ago
Well that was a new hobby, but it made sense. One didn't just walk into to a shop and ask for silver bullets for an old gun. Later she'd ask to see how he was doing it. It might be he was just coating or tipping premades. It would be interesting.

Her lips twisted up into a smile. He might not be the greatest reader in the world and even his strategies might be very straight forward, but you had to give Ambrose credit he did know what he was doing. Better yet, he seemed to be coming around, at least a little. That made her happy.

The next question was harder. She started clicking her nails together again, slowly, deliberately, but completely unaware of doing it until she caught Ambrose looking at her. With a little effort Damaris curbed the unconscious habit.

"Could be a lot. What Graham has found is odd and I think it might be internal. It looks like someone is messing with these werewolves trying to manipulate them and it is possible the someone or several someones is... internal."

In fact, Graham was almost certain it was. But he was a Nightsman, this was the kind of game he played. The only reason he was asking her to do anything was simply proximity, she was here he wasn't and as it wasn't official he didn't want to throw it to the order just yet.
Ambrose 12 years ago
You know it figured. He spent a few years batting around the idea of joining the Night and finally decided against it, it wasn't right, it wasn't for him and the next thing you knew he was going to play those games. The only comfort Ambrose had was that Damaris was equally uncomfortable with this sort of thing. Neither of them were incapable of being covert they were just more inclined to be more forthright.

"So you're going to start playing spy in your old age? I never thought I'd live to see that day."

No he hadn't answered yet. He was still thinking this put a new spin on things. While he wasn't terribly worried about consequences to himself, maybe he could defect to Evenhet. It might work... possibly. He was a little worried about Belle. If some one wanted to retaliate she would be an obvious target. But she was also a smart cookie and tough in her own way.

After a few seconds though Ambrose concluded he couldn't say no, not really. He'd just have to let Ysabel know he might be getting into something more creative than usual, that was all.

"OK I'm in. Even if we have to remember to ask questions before we shoot, damned backwards Nightsmen."

He wasn't too worried about the wolves. You couldn't even feed on them, as near as Ambrose could tell they were even less useful than humans. What he was worried about, the reason he agreed to help, was he'd seen what those wolves could do. He wasn't about to let a few members of the clan put the rest of them at risk. Better to stop this now than give these beasts a reason to treat them all like Rashid. Ambrose was fairly certain not everyone would bounce back that well.

"Only because I don't think we want this to get out of hand and I don't want to meet one of these things alone in a dark alley silver bullet or no."

And somehow he didn't think you ran into too many lone wolves, pack animals and all that.
Damaris 12 years ago
Damaris just sat quietly and let him think. It wasn't as strange a site as a casual observer with think. While Ambrose could be aggressive and impulsive he was also good at risk assessment. You had to be in his original profession and the skill hadn't deserted him.

Her best guess was he was trying to weigh potential fall out and she suspected that he was thinking of his girl. It made him a good member of the Hunt, his desire to protect.

She smiled wryly as he agreed. Yeah shooting first would be a problem wouldn't it? Between the two of them she though the might just be able to manage that skill though. He'd summed it up well though, she wasn't exactly a werewolf lover, not an advocate for their rights or anything. But she respected their strength and would be happy enough to leave them alone if they left Anatya alone (if they wanted to eat Evenhet or the orphans that wouldn't even bother her too much).

"Good. Then I'll keep you posted, I have a lead or two to follow up on before we do anything."

And with business concluded her smile became more teasing, more open and she shifted gears entirely.

"Now, care to tell me what you are doing in a library?"
Ambrose 12 years ago
Since his maker was satisfied with that answer Ambrose took it to mean they were done and stiffly pulled himself out of his chair to go and find the book he'd been sent for.
He grimaced at her quip and for a second he intended to snarl at her.

Not even Ambrose could snarl at Damaris when she smiled like that though. She looked young, happy almost playful. She'd never look sweet or innocent, hell he didn't think she'd managed to give off either of those qualities even when she was in her teens and human. But it was hard not to respond to her humor. He half smiled and shook his head at her.

"Is that what this? A library? I wondered why it had all these books in it.”

He was rewarded by Damaris rolling her eyes. And he decided to play back and slipped into cowboy mode as he scanned the shelves and pulled down the two volumes he'd been asked to look for.

"They're not for me, I'm just trying to be helpful ma'am.”

With a tug on an imaginary hat Ambrose did his best to 'mosey' out the door. He was actually looking forward to seeing what Damaris had up her sleeve. He wouldn't mind causing a bit of trouble.

((OOC... Ambrose out.))
Damaris 12 years ago
She just sat there, her lips twisted in a semblance of a smile and let him mock her. It was only fair. Oddly enough Damaris thought Ambrose might be developing a sense of humor in his old age. Before he would have just would have scowled and stalked off.

Lounging back in her chair Damaris watched him go. Even with one leg he had a good ass and an appealing swagger. Ysabel had good taste and wisdom to see below the surface. More important though, she was glad to have some one she could count on here in Nachton.

Tomorrow she'd run down some leads, with any luck she'd have something to go on with in the week.

((OOC... Damaris out too))