Nice to meet you...again. (Attn: Drew)

They pulled up to the Sushi Bistro that Tavi and her mysterious cat friend had found. It had been quite good despite the odd name. She had become a familiar sight there. When you ate things raw there were only so many places you could out while still managing to look like a socially acceptable member of society.

It seemed from what she had seen, she and Drew had that in common. When she thought about it, never once had she needed to make an excuse for the nights of the full moon because he had never asked her out on those nights. Then there were the cats; a reaction like that wasn't normal, not from every single feline in the place.

If that weren't enough, when she came back the scratches on Drew's face from the cat who had attacked him were gone.

Only two species healed that quickly...and one of them wouldn't have been out in the sunshine.

Taking hold of his arm before they headed inside, Tavi pulled him over toward a small manicured little island of greenery between the restaurant and the store next to it. The little section wasn't big but it did boast one tree to stand under for shade.

Holding onto his shoulders with both of her hands, she leaned forward onto her tiptoes and spoke in a quiet voice, knowing now that he would hear her easily. "Your scratches are gone....cousin."

Leaning back she looked him in the eye. "So, you're not a dog person...you're a wolf person. Kadzait, I'm guessing because I certainly don't recall seeing you on our full moon runs." Tavi looked him over briefly, more interested in the discussion than being terribly suggestive,"and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed."

Tavi reached out a hand to him. "Let's start again. Hi, I'm Octavia Emiliano of the Vyusher R'asa, I like raw meat, long walks and howling at the moon. And you?"

Drew 12 years ago
Stupid cats. Just stupid stupid cats. Not that he was any too bright putting himself in that position. Really he was lucky to get off that easy. Tavi could have insisted he help or stick with her. Huh now that he thought about it she accepted his cat issues pretty easy. Some people tended to ignore the obvious. Well he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

He had no idea where she was pulling him, but most of the time Drew didn't argue with Tavi. He might occasionally feel like a cruise liner being pulled along by a tug boat, and he was certain he looked it, Drew didn't fight it.

Whatever he had been expecting, that was not it. He reached up to feel his face, she was right, they were gone. Anyone else wouldn't have noticed. She shouldn't have known that. Couldn't have.

Drew wrestled with several reactions, he could just say he had no idea what she was talking about. It might work. But more likley it wouldn't work. He could just run, walk away and that would be the end of it. But he couldn't do that. Something inside him -wouldn't- allow it.

Instinct made him pull himself up, standing straighter his face became impassive, unreadable. He wasn't happy about this. He had -never- told anyone outside the family what he was. Hell coming to Nachton was a massive step and first his boss finds out, Drew didn't tell him, Kem found out and now this. He wasn't sure what the proper reaction was, but he wasn't going to back down.

He backed down a little and half smiled.

"Some how I knew dating a detective was going to be trouble."

He took her hand nodded a little.

"Drew Benally... pretty much the same. Do I even want to know what gave me away?"
Octavia Emiliano 12 years ago
"Wow, that's the first time I've been trouble because of my occupation." Tavi smiled up at Drew.

After shaking his hand again, she laughed and wrapped her arms around him. "Well, if I didn't know what to look for then I wouldn't have known but... I thought I was going to have to make excuses for a lot of things."

Tavi cocked her head toward the restaurant and then grinned back up him with a slightly sheepish expression. "Human dates in the past wonder why I am a sushi fanatic. Its just one of the few places you can go to get something they don't burn in a fire."

She sighed. "And I never had to tell you I didn't feel well during the full moon, or that some great aunt Mable died."

Reaching up, Tavi pulled him down to her and softly kissed his cheek that not long ago held a bloody line across it. "Lastly, you're once more perfectly kissable."

Any one thing wouldn't have caused her to notice but all of them together were enough, especially since she knew what to look for. For the moment she was happy that Drew was already a werewolf. The idea of becoming serious with a human and then trying to explain the pack and ask them to join...it was a recipe for a messy rejection almost every time. The fact that Drew was a part of the wrong pack...that couldn't be -too- bad... Her father was going to kill her.

"So...At least we don't have to hide that anymore. That's good, right?"
Drew 12 years ago
Well, he had to admit if you knew the signs those were all good one, especially when you put them together. At least this was a one off; he hadn't done anything stupid or careless. That made Drew feel a little better.

She wasn't shying away from him either, that was good too. Wasn't it? Really Drew didn't even know what to think of that. He always half expected to be rejected out of hand because of what he was, this wasn't any thing he'd ever expected to deal with.

Honestly Drew wasn't sure if this was better or worse. At least with a human they had options. He and Tavi... well there wasn't an option once you were part of a Pack you were part of it. This wasn't baseball you couldn't be traded to another team for a pitcher and two draft picks. Drew started to chew at his lower lip, trying to think this through.

The best he could come up with was that for now... they could deal with it. It shouldn't be -too- big a deal as things stood right now. He hoped.

Realizing he'd been thinking for a while he gave Tavi and sheepish smile and a hug.

"Yeah. That is good. I mean if you're OK with it then it is... good that is. Well really it is good either way... I mean... Right shutting up now.�

It would undoubtedly be best to stop before he said anything really stupid. He had to think about this some more.
Tavi laughed when Drew rambled a bit and then decided it was best to just stop talking.

"It'll be okay. There's at least very little we need to hide from each other now." She looked over at him. "At least I think so. You're not married right, secretly got a wife and a few kids somewhere? Have a secret second job as a gigolo?"

She stepped down out of the little patch of greenery with a small hop and then fairly skipped toward the entrance to the sushi place, oddly giddy now that they no longer had that secret between them.

"I'm starving!" Tavi smiled as she turned back. "I'd say I could eat a horse...but well, I could." Part of one anyway, not that she'd ever eaten anyone's prized pony or anything. "Though a nice deer would do."

It was a relief to not have to hide who she was from him. Perhaps with that major secret out of the way they could actually get to know each other better. Then... well then they'd have to face their people but that hardly seemed important right this second.

"So this full moon there might be a combined pack run..." She smiled at him. "Perhaps I will get to see whether or not you're as a cute on four legs."
Drew 12 years ago
Well that got Drew closer to his usual good humor. He choked a bit on the very idea.

"Wait... how old do you think I am?! And we aren't going to talk about what I do every other Thursday. Student loans you know."

Actually for that matter how old was she. They did tend to age differently than humans. It had taken a bit to get over how young she looked. He followed along, surprised at how well she was taking this. Honestly Drew had suspected that it would be more of an issue for Tavi. Some wolves could be very clannish, standoffish, they didn't welcome intruders and that was just what he was. Or she was, depending on who's point of view you were taking.

"Too early in the day for horse meat."

Although he licked his lips at the idea of venison on the hoof. He'd squeaked in a quick run last night. It was hard working nights for Meridian but Drew still managed to get a good run in, but since he was in a hurry had only managed a rabbit or two he didn't have the time to take down a deer.

He grinned at the idea of the run, but Drew also knew he wasn't high on the priority list with the Chief, he was young and still learning. The odds were high he wouldn't be invited. It didn't bother him, it was just a fact.

"What about you though, only green gradient wolf in the history of the world?"

He teased. Coat and hair color had nothing to do with each other, but it was funny to consider.
Tavi looked over at him and smirked. "I don't know you could be in your forties for all I know." She grinned and rushed through the door. Laughing as he asked about her being a gradient coloured wolf. It had been true on occasion.

"Hiro! Hi!" Tavi waved and agreed to the usual order when the young man behind the counter asked.

Turning back to Drew, she smiled. "Before you ask, the answer is thirty four. Do you feel better? Less like you're dating jail bait?" She leaned close to him and said quietly. "I'm betting I'm the older of the two of us."

Tavi stepped up to the counter. "Drew this is Hiro, Hiro, Drew." She also gestured with a hand to the silent chef who had given her a nod when she came in. "And the talkative fellow over there is a Mitsuo. As you can tell, Hiro, can hardly get in a word edgewise." Mitsuo smirked but made no comment.

She drummed her fingers on the counter, smiling at Hiro, talking about his troubles with the girl at the boutique across the way, commiserating that his poetry appeared to have fallen on deaf ears.

"Perhaps she's not one for reading..." Tavi turned to Drew. "You're a charming guy. Help the man out. He needs to get her attention, let her know how he feels. What would you do?" She grinned up at him as she waited for an answer. Interested to hear how Drew would go about being charming and romantic if he were going to plan it out. They had sort of run into each other and he was lost and cute; Tavi reflected that his adorable charm had been irresistible with no advanced preparation. Alas, the clerk behind the counter was too shy to simply walk up to a girl and ask her out. The blonde across the street was gorgeous and Tavi feared for the poor guy's heart with that one but there was no deterring the man from trying. Hiro looked eager for any advice and was also looking at Drew with an expectant hopeful expression.
Drew 12 years ago
Apparently Tavi was a regular, that didn't surprise Drew. It was a good thing in fact, it meant the place had to be pretty good. Drew as often as not ate at the Den, at least people didn't look at him funny when he had his dinner raw. Besides, it was nice to have your meals with family.

His eyebrows raised a bit. Really? Huh. Drew tried to work out how old Tavi had been when she was gifted. He gave up, all he knew for sure is it would have been younger than him. It just sort of helped to emphasize she was from another Pack.

"I thought you were a wolf not a cougar."

Well nine years wasn't so bad, it could be worse. Besides, that was the least of their problems.

He raised his hand in greeting to the two men. But did a double take when Tavi put him on the spot like that. Who what huh?

"Poetry?"

Wow, did people do that any more? He was charming? A slow grin spread across his face as he turned to look at Tavi. He thought hard about the question chewing at his bottom lip. Honestly Drew didn't have a good answer, especially not really knowing either party involved.

"Well... I'd say you've got to stand out. I mean flowers and that are nice but something different is good. Something that you have to... or she has to... engage with instead of just look at or read. Makes it more memorable. It is a whole new problem once you do have her attention."
Tavi playfully smacked Drew on the arm and hissed under her breath. "This cougar will bite you" She flashed him a set of pearly white teeth. "Hard."

Turned to the counter and listening to Hiro's girl troubles had forestalled any retaliation for the moment. The clerk seemed confused by Drew's answer and she turned to her companion and gave him a smirk. "So what do you suggest he do? Fall in front of her and hope she helps him up? That's engaging."

Tavi tapped her chin thoughtfully with one black painted nail. "I think he might be right though, in a way. She knows it was you who sent the poetry right?" Hiro nodded and said that, yes, he had signed it and made it clear who he was. She had even talked to him before so there was no doubt that she'd recognize his description of himself. The clerk then explained that the girl smiled at him when she saw him but otherwise made no comment about his profession of love. "I think you should wait. See if she says anything to you about it. In the meantime save up some money and then ask her out to some place nice. If she accepts then you can show her your romantic side in style. If not...well then all the serenades and poetry probably wouldn't have changed her mind."

She took her plate of sushi and then looked at Drew. "Think so?" Glancing back over at Hiro, Tavi said. "Definitely make her wait a bit though. The chase is a big part of the game. If she thinks you're too eager then she'll be scared away. What if he's clingy? What if he's desperate? No girl wants a desperate man. It makes them feel unappreciated like they were the first thing to hold still long enough or the last resort. Either way...not good."

Her eyes wandered back to Drew, who held out his own feelings like a marathon runner in the dating game. Would the fact that they were both the same species change anything there? Was it better or worse?

Tavi took her food and went outside to one of the sidewalk tables where they could talk more privately than inside the small shop and watch the people as they passed. " My fur is currently black...not green, but it has been..in the past." She smiled up at him and shrugged one shoulder.
Drew 12 years ago
Drew raised his eyebrows in silent question, not objection but curiosity. He had no doubt she could play rough if she wanted, and that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Hey! There is nothing wrong with that plan. The trick is to make it look natural. And failing that, get lost and ask for directions. Girls can't resist a guy who asks for directions."

Not always the sharpest knife in the drawer where girls were concerned, even Drew had a feeling Tavi was half talking to him. OK yeah he was holding back a little but she'd been human right up until now. Honestly he wasn't sure if it was a good thing that she was a VR. Huh, maybe she was that one that tried to take Reign out. That was an interesting thought. He still didn't understand what that particular female had been up to.

Sushi wasn't always readily available back home and had been one of the things he'd developed a taste for here in Nachton. Yes he did order a lot and they probably thought he was a glutton but Drew maintained he was just a growing boy with a healthy appetite.

Joining Tavi he blinked, again surprised.

"Currently? And green? Do I even want to know how you accomplish that because it sounds like it is probably a lot of work."

He was tempted to ask after the gray wolf. Very tempted. Maybe in a little bit. Drew just couldn't get it out of his head now.
Tavi laughed and smiled up at Drew when he suggested getting lost and asking for directions. Yes, that plan worked well also. Of course Hiro might have a harder time pulling it off since he obviously knew his way around the area. Still, it would be no doubt adorable.

She popped a piece of sushi into her mouth and nodded her head. "Yeah, black isn't exactly a normal colour for us but it was suiting my mood at the time. Its not -too- much trouble. Another friend in the pack helps me out. We both have beautician certifications so I trust her not to fry all my fur off or whatever." Taking a sip of her drink, Tavi added. "Yeah, its been green before. Red with black tips, violet. Once it was neon orange. My mother told me to change that one IMMEDIATLEY...something about standing out too much when we ran."

Tavi rolled her eyes. "Ah, well. I should probably let it grow out. I'm pretty much getting over that rebellious stage...though the hair stays."

Green eyes slid sideways to look at Drew coyly. "What about you, Handsome? What does your other side look like?"
Drew 12 years ago
"What about gray?"

Drew asked before he could stop himself. But he had to know, it was in his nature to want to protect those closest to him, to protect the Pack. Just because she was Illamar Reign was no less family than any wolf. He believed that, about any Illamar, down to his toe nails. As much as he liked Tavi, if her family was giving Reign trouble he -had- to put an end to it. It wasn't an option.

Before he got too serious though Tavi had him going off in another direction. He coughed on a big bite of tuna. Honestly he couldn't imagine any one in the Pack doing that. And no way in -hell- the old guys would allow it. The Chief might, but... Drew coughed and laughed at the images. He didn't mention the mood that had inspired her dying her fur black. That.... well he preferred to focus on the more fun combinations.

"Why wouldn't the hair stay?"

He managed to choke out before gulping down some water and getting his voice back.

"Basic black, goes with everything. But totally natural, no roots."

Drew gave her a cheeky grin teasing her a little bit. He couldn't help that either.
Tavi favored Drew with a puzzled frown. "What -about- grey? Do you like it? I'm normally grey. I can go back to it if you like." She couldn't believe she was even entertaining the idea of changing her looks to please someone else but she could give it a try going back to her natural colour if he liked it.

She took another piece of sushi and thought about his question. "Hair? Or fur? The fur is a bit of trouble compared to the other and I have to have someone else do it. Not that she minds. I do her's as well. Its just that I am getting a little bored with the 'shocking the 'rents' routine. Maybe I'll be myself for a bit and then when they think I'm over it go for a bright bubble gum pink." Tavi smiled brilliantly at the thought. "But I like the hair. I'm not ready to give up playing with it and until I look old enough to drink I figure why not."

Tavi pouted at him for his teasing remark but it didn't last long as she tried to imagine what he must look like as a wolf. Their difference in height was already outstanding, as wolves...well he'd probably make her look like a toy poodle by comparison. Still, she bet he was stunning. Did he still have that puppy charm as a wolf? Probably.
Drew 12 years ago
Well that was perplexing. Had it been Tavi on the beach? Was the black new? Now Drew was just plain suspicious. There was no way to ask more questions, not if Tavi might be the source of the trouble. See this was why you didn't date outside the Pack...

He tried to shove those thoughts out of his head and focus on the now.

"I like the hair. It is... well it is you."

No other way to describe it really. If any one was willing to put that much effort into their hair though Drew figured it had best be something they liked and that suited them. Personally though, he'd just keep it natural.

"Hmmmm... silly me I just stopped going to school. That has shocked them plenty. Your way might be more fun. But I don't think I could pull it off. Besides, what color shows up on black?"

He really should get to work on applying for a PhD. He didn't have an excuse. That or see if he could break into collections.

Bubble gum? Oh man... bad.

"You know I'm not sure how the pink would do with your eyes... I'm just saying."
Tavi smiled brilliantly at him. "I'm glad you think so." She picked up another piece of sushi, still smiling happily. So many people thought her hair was a distraction and that she should grow up and be normal; it was nice to know that Drew liked it.

She tilted her head and looked at him quizzically. "What did you go to school for?" Leaning back in the chair, Tavi added. "Plenty shows up on black...if you bleach it first." She gave him a wicked grin. "But if you're impatient we could just do the tips of your fur with the temporary dye, some of that shows up okay. A blue might be neat, almost wouldn't show up until someone got close. Or red. That looked pretty good."

Tavi gestured to her eyes with two fingers and raised her eyebrows. "These green ones? Or the gold ones? Cause I think bubble gum pink would totally make the gold stand out."

Eying him for a long moment, she said. "Well now since we're talking about favorite colours. What is yours? Just in case I want to find a dress you might like...or something to go beneath it."
Drew 12 years ago
"Archeology and Native American Studies."

Drew grinned and waggled his eyebrows.

"I wanted to be Indiana Jones."

It hadn't worked out so far. Maybe he had to develop a fear of snakes, or maybe he needed to have Sean Connery as a father. It was worth thinking about at any rate.

Drew couldn't help but notice that the question of the gray wolf had been dropped. Part of him was suspicious, and the other part realized he was the one who had let the topic die. Some days he wanted to go back to the Rez. You know a place you didn't get involved with the other pack and work for vampires.

"Oh no you don't. No ideas. I like my basic look thank you very much. I'm comfortable with it and it expresses who I am quite nicely!"

No bleaching, no canvas for artistic expression. Not gonna happen. He adamantly warned Tavi off that path.

"Well I was thinking the green..."

Wow this was a very artistic conversation all of a sudden and Drew was having a little trouble keeping up. But he tried.

He was a little perplexed that Tavi could keep being so forward. Didn't it bother her that he was Kadzait? Was he over reacting? Or had she known for a while? He did his best to shelve those issues and leered appreciatively, or attempted to it was not an expression that came natural to him.

"Red, purple, orange... sun set colors."
"Hmm" Tavi looked at him thoughtfully and resisted the urge to comment about the desire to study a certain Native American very closely. Her plainly spoken offers had been met with little results and she was beginning to wonder if she should stop trying. Perhaps if she were harder to get, as Therese had suggested, he might be more interested. "Why did you stop?"

Tavi grinned at his aspiration to become an exciting movie archeologist. "Well you might look good in the leather jacket and fedora. Can you use a whip?"

She raised her eyebrows when he adamantly declined her offer of dying his fur, muttering "Chicken" softly under her breath with a small smirk. Truthfully Drew probably looked best as a wolf just the way he was but that didn't mean she wasn't going to tease him.

Listening to his choice of colours, Tavi thought it would look nice as hair colour as well. She liked his reasons for choosing them, interestingly enough not long ago her dye choice had been colours of the sunrise. "Good to know."

She took a sip of her drink, noticed someone wearing a few cool outfit that gave her ideas and another person in a cute pair of shoes. Turning back to Drew, Tavi asked. "So is there something you're interested in knowing?"
Drew 12 years ago
"Not sure really. I just can't work up the enthusiasm for the next step."

Every time he seemed to be ready to start his PhD he fizzled. It was irritating. Reign had tried, Nikhila was trying, but he just couldn't get started. Maybe he needed to pick something new. Maybe he ought to see if Kem would let him apply in collections, that might help. The archives were not his first love.

Not immune to teasing and flattery Drew grinned and confided a little.

"The jacket yeah but I can't pull off the hat. I look like an idiot."

Not just anyone could wear a fedora he'd decided. Drew wanted to say something flirtatious and suggestive about the whip but, well it was a lot like the hat something he just couldn't pull off.

Forgetting his table manners fr a second or three he snapped down a few pieces of sushi as another smile crossed his lips.

"You're a cougar, I'm a chicken and there was something about wolves in all of this. I'm starting to think we live on Old McDonald's farm."

But he didn't deny it. When it came to messing with his fur, yes he was clearly a chicken.

Thoughtfully he cocked his head at Tavi. He really was confused. She was cute and fun and he really did like her but... at first he thought maybe it was the human thing. Now maybe it was the other pack thing.. He was starting to think that just maybe he was as isolationist as the rest of his family. It was possible you couldn't over come that.

Did he come here to learn things or not? OK it wasn't the best reason to ask questions but it was better than just giving up and closing people out.

"Tell me about your family. I mean how does a wolf get to be mayor?"

He did remember her telling him that. Drew intentionally left the question open ended so that Tavi didn't have to say anything she didn't want.
"What about the next step do you not like? Or is it something about what you're studying or what you'll do with it when you're done?"

Tavi pondered Drew for a moment before deciding that he was probably right about the fedora. She didn't think he would look like an idiot, as he put it, but it was not the best look for him. "No, you're right, maybe you should just stick with the rambo tie."

She laughed at all the animal terms and said. "Old MacDonald has a weird ass farm if that's the case."

Eating another piece of sushi, she chewed thoughtfully and decided on the best way to answer his question. She had probably shocked him enough for one day. "Well, it suited the pack needs at the time. That way we knew that the Mayor wasn't bought and controlled by the mu...vam...others." Tavi sighed. "He's not overly fond of the job but I think he complains sometimes for show. He likes to see change happen and to get things done." She smiled. "He just hates wearing a suit."

She took a sip of her drink and then looked at him. "So tell me about your family. They are back in Arizona, yes?"
Drew 12 years ago
Drew frowned considering that. He loved what he'd been studying, it was brilliant. Some days it didn't feel 'useful' though. His father's education was practical; you could do something with it. The Chief and Nikhila also had very practical useful educations. Reign's was a bit flighty, but she didn't quite have a job she played a game for a living. It certainly had nothing to do with her education.

Huh, it was probably just afraid he wasn't living up to what the Pack needed and if he got his PhD well that was the end of it wasn't it? There was no more education you could get.

"I think I just don't want to turn into a stuffy doctor type. I mean those suede patches on your jacket... it's just not me. Well that and what do you do with a PhD once you've got it?"

He answered cheerfully belying the actual answer Tavi had sort of forced him to face.

"You think one of the sushi guys would lend me one of those nifty Japanese headbands? I think I can pull that off too..."

Drew nodded in solemn agreement about Old MacDonald's farm.

"Sounds like a wild animal theme park actually. Well other than the chickens."

It was good to know the other Pack looked at things in a similar fashion, you did what was needed you took care of the whole. Wolves were wolves he figured, regardless of denomination. Well, denomination might not be the right word but you get the idea...

He snorted his agreement about the suit.

"'Sok we know about them too."

He said with a dismissive shrug, doing his best not to consider what his boss was.

The question about his family brought a grin.

"Yeah. I'm the odd ball, it is unusual to get us this far away from the Rez. Let's see... The Old Guys run things for the most part."

And Drew rambled a bit about his father and grandfather and his uncles and one or two of his cousins.

"Mom is special she's a teacher at the local elementary school and she's what we call an Illamar. She's human but totally part of the Pack. One of my sisters too... only two of the three of us were gifted."

Drew had a hard time understanding his mother's decision some times, but all she would say is it wasn't right for her. He knew she could change her mind later if she wanted. Any number of people in the Pack would gift her if she wanted, but he didn't think she ever would. That scared him a little she'd die well before his father and he didn't know how his dad would take it.
Tavi listened to Drew talk about home and his pack, fascinated with how different it was from her own experience and yet how parts of it were the same. They stayed in one place; such a thing was unheard, at least until now, to the Vyusher R'asa. Having a home and roots and never leaving; it was an alien concept. She was glad that she had gotten to travel the world but he made coming from somewhere solid sound wonderful. Drew knew who he was, or at least where he came from and he always had a place to go back to. Tavi envied that, just a little.

His mother was human, not a Nothos, but a human. That was...different. Her grandmother had joined the pack as a human but she had become a shifter. Her grandmother had been the one to gift her father after his father was murdered. Tavi could not imagine a human living their traveling life. How hard would it be, not truly fitting in, not understanding the change that the rest of the pack went through each month, the urges, the excitement, not having the strength and resilience of a were, and not having a home and support of other humans around to understand you? Perhaps now that they were able to settle in places there were be more mingling of the races, more trust.

"I am not sure why anyone would not make the choice to be Gifted. Of course, I wasn't really given a choice so perhaps I wouldn't know. " Tavi smiled and added, lest he think her parents were terrible people. "My brother and I were born together, twins. The umbilical cord was wrapped around us, or at least one of us. We weren't breathing. In a desperate move to save our lives, my parents gifted us just after birth. My brother and I have never known life without the change."

The story had been told to her since her birth and she had believed it as a child when every word your parents spoke was the truth. Since then she was not so sure and, saying it now, the story sounded strange to her ears. What was the likelihood that both of them were in dire need to be Gifted at such a young age? Was any of the story true? Or was it only one of them and they thought it best to Gift both children so that they remained together? It seemed like a terrible risk to put both of your newborn children through if only one of them needed it. Had it been her? Was she the one who wouldn't have survived and so they Gifted both children? Was that why her mother seemed to hate her so much? Did she blame her for having to Gift Tobi so young, risking his life and changing it drastically, forever? Tavi huffed to herself, they could have let him grow up differently if that was the case. She would have loved him just the same but a large part of her was glad that she and her twin had shared the experience.

"Did your mother ever tell you why she chose not to be a shifter?" Tavi was genuinely interested to hear.