All Work and No Play

Rowan hadn't expected to have many nights off; being the doctor with the least seniority and having the credentials to work in multiple areas of the clinic aside from Pediatrics, he was certainly getting milked for all he was worth. It wasn't that his job was bad. This was just the way it went.

Off of work, finally, a bit before dawn, Rowan had opted to explore Nachton's much talked-about strip before returning to Liefde. While free time wasn't horribly abundant for him he did have a few hobbies he liked to keep up with. On his list was a decent calligraphy set. As he wandered along the strip, however, taking in the night life and the various shops, his eyes were attracted to the sign for a music store.

Rowan enjoyed music. He sang reasonably well but he also played the whistle and the flute, both easy enough to travel with. He owned a variety of both, chosen for various keys and timbres. Most of his flutes were simpler ones, but he did own a classical concert flute.

Intrigued, he entered the music store and lost himself for a few minutes in various music books, smiling and waving off the seller's offer of help. He was happily browsing, that was all. Maybe he'd find something new to play.

Akahana Yoshida 13 years ago
Given time to think and clear her head had allowed Akahana to see things more clearly. It was unfortunate that Mahesh had chosen the this terrible irrevocable path but there was nothing that could save him now, too many of their kind were dead. She knew that he would not stop until he had completed his task. No matter how much respect and compassion she had for him, Akahana would not choose to save him at the expense of others.

She wandered around the store, enjoying the occasional music from a customer trying out an instrument. It wasn't until she wandered into a back corner and saw that they had a koto set up that she fully grasped what it meant to be back in Nachton, amongst its diversity. Thrilled, Akahana looked around until she saw the manager. - Find the person who person who was looking apprehensive and protective of the very expensive instrument and you were bound to have spotted the right person.-

Gesturing towards it, she raised her eyebrows in question. The man gave her a reluctant nod and she could guess that he was hoping by her appearance and eagerness to play that she had some skill with it or was at least not going to harm it.

A pouch tied to the stand held the little finger picks. She slid them onto her thumb, index finger and middle finger. Her hands hovered over the instrument for a moment while she considered what music to choose, then Akahana bent over the koto and began to play.

((OOC: Koto Music Choice ))
Rowan Murphy 13 years ago
While he was flipping through the various offerings trying to decide on a piece of music or if he wanted one at all, Rowan heard the sound of a stringed instrument being played. Something Asian in flavor; that scale wasn't one he was used to playing frequently.

Enjoying the sounds he continued to flip through the various flute pieces, moving toward the sounds of the instrument. As it came into sight he pondered for a moment before placing the name of it; it was the one that sat on its back horizontally... what was it again? A koto. That was it.

The woman playing it clearly knew what she was doing. As Rowan listened he unconsciously superimposed a flute line over it. He owned two bamboo flutes whose windy tones would probably suit the koto's stronger timbre quite nicely.

He certainly didn't want to interrupt someone while they played but he did watch the woman out of the corner of his eye and when she looked up, offered her a smile and a nod in appreciation of her skill.
Akahana finished with playing and carefully replaced the little picks. She smiled at the redhead and returned his nod. Quickly coming around the koto and moving over next to him. She greeted him.

"Hello there." Akahana smiled and waved, moving a little closer. Without taking her eyes off him and keeping her grin in place, she whispered. "Help! The manager will be over here any second to try and sell me a koto that I don't need."

Akahana could see the man trying to hurry his customer along with whatever question they had while casting glances in her direction. She could, of course, tell him no, but she would rather not have to listen to the sales pitch.

Giving the redhead a pleading look, she asked.
"So what do you play?"
Rowan did a double take at the woman's words but as with most things he didn't hesitate to make a decision based on her rather blatant hint. He did a double double take, or was it a triple take? Who was counting? At any rate he allowed an expression of disbelief to overtake his features while his jaw dropped.

Placing his hands on the woman's shoulders he smiled broadly.
"Oh my God," he said, laughing as if in disbelief, "Is that you, Beth? Wow. I can't believe it. I didn't recognize you, since you've lost all the weight!"

He turned her toward the light
. "Wow. And you can hardly see the scars."

He wrapped his arms around the stranger, hugging her tightly and lifting her off the ground in a bear hug.
"I'm so glad they dropped the charges."

While he had her in the air he dropped his voice to a near whisper and said conversationally,
"Bunch of different flutes and the tin whistle. Thinking about buying a guitar. But maybe I need a koto!"
Akahana smiled when the redhead went along with her plan of a distraction. His exuberant method was certainly enough to deter the manager from coming over an interrupting. She could see the man from the corner of her eye. He was paused in the middle of the store still staring her way but looking uncertain.

Her eyes went a little rounder at his stated reason for not recognizing her but her smile became wider as she ducked her head in a gracious acknowledgment of his 'compliment'. She laughed with him and answered him while he picked her up.

"Yes, well its amazing what they can do in plastic surgery these days. Hell, I don't even look Hispanic any more!" She braced one hand on his shoulder and brought a finger from the other to her lips. "But shhhh, the name's Hanah now...in the witness protection program." She gave him a sly smile. "Its amazing what spilling a few names will do to get you a whole new set of ID's."

Listening to his answer to her question, she said. "They had some nice flutes. A guitar... that sounds like a good idea actually." Akahana leaned back a bit and smiled. "The koto is all yours." she said softly.
Rowan put his new friend back down on the ground and continued to beam at her. "Hanah, my bad," he said, glancing around the store as if he'd just uttered a piece of G-14 classified information.

Now that she was back on the ground, Rowan bent to get close enough to speak with her, as if they were old intimate friends. Given the fuss they'd both made already it seemed as if the manager might just leave them be. But, just to be on the safe side, Rowan resolved to keep it interesting.

"I wouldn't know what to do with it," he said with a laugh. "The guitar seems a little less intimidating if I'm going to branch out and try something new."

Standing up straight Rowan affected a shocked expression.
"What?" He said loudly, staring at his companion. "An implant in your..."

He broke off and leaned down again with a smile. Rowan didn't know this woman but she sure was a hell of a lot of fun. And apparently one heck of a koto player, not that he knew any others with whom to compare her.
Akahana nodded and smoothed her clothing now that she was on the ground. She smiled softly at her new 'old' friend.

"Perhaps, and the guitar is certainly more portable."

The manager had almost made up his mind to head over after seeing the stranger put her down, perhaps hoping their conversation would be quick and she would be free to discuss buying the expensive instrument. His exclamation stopped the man in his tracks. She almost laughed as the manager tried his best to look anywhere but at the two of them.

"Yep," Akahana cupped her hands around both eternally youthful breasts and proclaimed proudly. "If you're going to pay that much for them then I suggest an implant. Can't be too careful these days."

She gave him a wicked grin and arched eyebrow, noting that the manager had been approached by someone else and was now moving away again. Akahana didn't know whether or not the man had seen her gesture; she supposed she'd find out if he ever got close enough to stare at her breasts curiously or studiously ignore them altogether.

"Shall we go look at some guitars?"
Rowan managed not to laugh out loud at the hilarious display they were putting on. As the store manager turned away again he nodded to his new companion and they moved across the store to the guitar displays. They were now out of ear shot but still within sight so the manager didn't have to worry about whether or not they were damaging anything in the store.

Once they were there Rowan looked at the woman beside him.
"Introductions seem a little anticlimactic huh, but nice to meet you." He dropped his eyes shamelessly to the woman's chest, still laughing over her gesture. "And you too."

Looking back up he said,
"I'm Rowan. Thanks for the laugh, it was needed."

As per the norm work had been long and tiring. He'd come in here looking for something of a stress reliever and he'd found it. Having rescued the damsel in distress, Rowan figured she had a chance to run now if she wanted it.
She nodded her head in acknowledgment of his observation. "Of course and we obviously know each other already." He greeted both breasts and Akahana laughed. "I assure you. I haven't named them." Giving him a sly look, she added. "But others have, from time to time." The statement was actually true though she never understood the naming of body parts. Still whatever makes a person happy was worth indulging if it hurt no one else.

Smiling, she gave him a small bow. "Akahana or Hana, if you prefer."

His need for a laugh caused her to wonder at the why. "I am glad to help, especially since I am very grateful for your timely assistance." Akahana placed a light hand on his arm, and looked at him with some concern. "Why was it needed?"

Rowan seemed like a lighthearted fellow and she hoped that it was nothing too terribly troubling though she reasoned that he probably would not be laughing at all if that were the case.
Rowan chuckled at Hana's blunt statement. "I believe you," he said. On both counts, but that hardly required specification.

He smiled when she placed her hand on his arm and looked concerned. Gesturing down to his scrubs he shrugged.
"Workday stress, that's all. It was a long shift."

There was nothing particularly wrong with him, it just felt good to laugh after a long day and night. Looking back at the wall Rowan scrutinized the guitars.

"So, do you know much about them? I figured on acoustic over electric; I like the sound better."

He looked at Hana. He had no idea if a koto and a guitar shared any similarities, but it wasn't a wild assumption to hope that, knowing something about the one, she might also know about the other.
Akahana nodded at the reason for his stress, squeezing his arm sympathetically. She looked up at him with curiosity and concern; though they had just met. She liked him; he appeared to be a nice guy, funny and intelligent. Who wouldn't wish him well?

She looked down as his attire and noted the condition it was in. The piercings might fool a lot of people but Akahana doubted he worked as administrative staff for some dental clinic. The scrubs weren't dirty, but neither were they pristine. The somewhat rumpled appearance suggested that he worked at his job and worked hard.

"Doctor or nurse?"

Akahana turned her attention to the guitars after a moment and patted one of the acoustic ones. It was a vibrant blue edged in black.

"I like this one but I will admit that I picked it because it is pretty."

She smiled and shrugged. Akahana could perhaps make some educated guesses on what constituted a good acoustic guitar based on what made for a good shamisen but, while the instruments were similar, they were not the same.
Hana looked at him and Rowan figured she was thinking the same thing most people thought. Scrubs, piercings, odd haircut. Rowan didn't mind.

"I'm a pediatrician," he said. "I work nights at the ER clinic."

As they turned their attention to the guitars and Hana pointed out the blue and black one Rowan laughed.
"Points for honesty," he said cheerfully. He reached out and plucked the E string on the guitar, closing his eyes momentarily as he listened to the sound. "Not bad," he said.

Rowan knew a very small amount about guitars. Moreover, he knew music. And therefore he was able to walk from instrument to instrument, plucking strings and listening to the tones. As he did, he noted several of the instruments that he tended to gravitate toward and turned to Hana.

"Every one I like has a pretty nice mellow quality. Not too tinny or bright."

He stood back and surveyed them critically.
"You know anything about brand names? I know Martin and Gibson are good. I don't want to over buy though, for my first one."

He wasn't worried about whether or not he would stick with it; Rowan didn't generally give up on a project once he started. He'd been playing both the whistle and the flute for hundreds of years and hadn't tired of them. He just felt like adding something new.
Akahana smiled at him and nodded. "With such creative imagination I bet the children love you." His appearance suggested a bit of fun and she could already tell that he was. Somehow Rowan did not look like a doctor who took himself too seriously.

She shrugged about the blue guitar and pulled one of them off the wall. Leaning her ear down to it, Akahana strummed the strings lightly, listening to its sound. She continued carrying it while they looked at others.

"I agree if you want tinny then get a banjo. The beauty of a good acoustic guitar is its mellow sound."

Looking around at all the guitars, She shrugged. "No, sadly, I have no idea. However, I'm sure my stalker friend does if you'd like to ask... We'll just have to go into a serious make out session if he goes into the sales pitch for the koto. I'm just warning you now."

Akahana smiled at him sweetly, tilting her head and lifting her shoulders in a girlish shrug that said that it was out of her hands.
Rowan gave a modest shrug. "I try. They're kids and they're usually scared when I finally get to them. Bad enough when you're ill or hurt to be terrified on top of it."

It wasn't hard to convey the fact that he really did love his job. Maybe it was because he'd never been a child himself, that he could remember, but Rowan had fun working with them and encouraging their imaginations. He enjoyed being a healer far more than he'd ever liked being a pirate; it suited his nature much better.

He gave an exaggerated shudder at the idea that they might ask the manager for advice.
"He can stay where he is." He rolled his eyes upward thoughtfully. "But, you know, the other part? It might be worth a conversation with the stalker. Either way you're kind to give me the warning."

He flashed her a mischievous grin. Her forwardness was cute. Hell, she was cute. Her personality was infectious, her sense of humor similar to his own.

Smiling to himself he turned back to the wall of guitars and pulled one away, strumming it experimentally.
"I guess it doesn't much matter which one I pick for now. I can always buy another one if I need to."

The guitar he held was a standard Martin six string acoustic. It had a nice sound and seemed to fit in his arms nicely. He knew a chord or two; he played them both.
"Well. I guess I'd probably need a book too, huh. Not many songs built around E minor and G major exclusively."

He looked up from the guitar to Hana, his eyes alight with humor and interest.
"So, did you just come in here to mess with the koto, or were you looking for something specific too?"
Akahana smiled at Rowan. He seemed like a good doctor and one that cared about the kids and not just about uncovering the problem they had. So many seemed to lose sight of the emotions of their patients while they treated the body. Though perhaps she was more sensitive to that given her own field of interest.

She laughed when he told her that the manager could stay on the other side of the store but that they could further discuss making out in public. "Yes, I hear it is also good stress relief."

Holding up her own guitar, she nodded. "Perhaps we should look for a beginner's book or a teacher. Maybe they have a list of instructors here and some night classes." It was something new to learn and something ordinary to do. She had not intended to pick up a guitar when she came in but the idea was growing on her; her life could use something normal.

Akahana shrugged slightly at his question. "No, I was surprised they had a koto. I was looking for flute music originally. I figured that was the instrument they most likely had. "

If there was shamisen musical arrangements in the store then she'd be doubly surprised this evening. However, after seeing the koto, Akahana was not going to take bets on the absence of them.

"Did you find anything of interest for the flutes while you were over there?" That had been where he was when she saw him and he had mentioned playing them as well so she figured he was not simply browsing blindly.
Rowan laughed softly at Hana's assessment. "Of course. So I hear too." he wiggled his eyebrows comically at her and let the matter drop; joke, sure, he could joke, but he was a mannerly sort usually and there were particular lines he wouldn't cross. Especially when talking to a very pretty, very amicable woman.

"Captured by the blue guitar, hmm? Can't blame you. It's pretty nice."

He looked around, figuring the books wouldn't be very far from the guitars.
"This would probably suit me best for now. I'm afraid if I tried to commit to lessons I'd constantly be missing them." He shrugged. "That's the way the job goes," he said.

Picking through the guitar books for a likely prospect he looked at Hana and said,
"It depends on what kind of music you were looking for. They have a pretty decent classical selection and some folk music. I found a few good tin whistle books but most of it was stuff I already have. Nothing horribly unique."

That had been slightly disappointing. Granted, Rowan had memorized far more songs than had ever been preserved on paper but he still held out hope of finding some more obscure tunes one of these days. He supposed he could compile his own knowledge into a book but that project just seemed to always get put off for later.

"What kind of flute do you play?"
Akahana nodded at him about finding a book first. She picked up a few that said they were for beginners and started flipping through them. She didn't need something for someone who had never played an instrument before. Instead she looked for one that looked interesting.

She frowned slightly at the flute selection he mentioned. "Seems like all you find." With a sigh, Akahana went back to looking through the books until she found one that she was liked, it had clear instruction as well as a decent selection of songs that you would want to play instead of 'Twinkle Twinkle and Mary had a Little Lamb".

"I play bamboo flutes as well the western classical flute."
Holding up the book, she said. "I think I will go with this one. Have you decided on one?"
Rowan nodded. "Sadly. There's so much more history to the flute than they publish in books."

He laughed and nodded when Hana told him what flutes she played. Rowan played the same ones. Granted, there wasn't a huge selection but there were a few nice Middle Eastern flutes out there he kept meaning to get his hands on and try.

Rowan eyed the two books he was looking at a bit more critically. One of them was a little elementary. He could already read music; he didn't need a refresher. The other one seemed a little more mature, as if meant for someone who already had some knowledge of music to begin with. He held it up, finding it a match for the one Hana had chosen.

"Huh. Great minds think alike."

He looked down at his impending purchases, then walked back over to the wall and hung the guitar back up. He was hardly planning to buy the demo model. They would have a new one in back. He held his hand out to Hana, offering to hang hers up as well.

"Want to take a look at the flute music, or are you set?"
Akahana nodded. "I think it is a shame that so little folk music has been written down for it." There were many different types of flutes also but in the west stores carried music mostly for the classical flute and things like the recorder and penny whistle. Those tended to have the same songs in book after book.

She laughed when Rowan held up the same book. Akahana gave him a smug nod and said. "Of course, only the best for us."

He helped her put away the blue guitar and asked her if she was done with her selections. "I think I have plenty of music and from what you already mentioned I doubt that I would find anything thrilling to add to it."

They went toward the front and paid for their purchases. Seeing them close to the door, the manager was once again trying to relieve himself of his current customer.

"It looks like we'll soon have company."
Rowan nodded to Hana in agreement. "I know a few folks tunes I've picked up here and there. If you don't have them on paper I'd be happy to write them down for you."

He didn't write enough music; it was a skill you had to use or you'd lose it. There was definitely something soothing in meticulous musical notation. he would enjoy some of that after a long shift, or even during one of his scant breaks.

Rowan eyeballed the manager again.
"You'd think he would be satisfied with having made a decent sale from us both," he mused.

At least it wasn't him the manager intended to harass, although Hana had asked him to help her out and it appeared all of his efforts might have gone for nothing. Well, not nothing. He had met a fun, beautiful woman. That could not be overlooked under any circumstances.

"I did try," he said apologetically to Hana as the manager came over to them.

Sadly, though, his efforts looked to be for naught.