Wine, Women, and Song (Attn:Therese )

The little cafe was perfect after their long run through the city. Tavi was thrilled to find that Therese was willing to see the urban landscape as just another track. It had more challenge than running around and around in a circle outside of some Y. Sliding over railings, running up walls, and jumping down fire escapes made the outing far more interesting to Tavi.

Now they were taking a much deserved break. The shop, modeled after a French Cafe, had a variety of wine and other beverages, cheese, bread, sandwiches, and pastries. There was seating outside under the burgundy and white striped awnings so that they could watch the people passing by along the busy sidewalks.

Tavi took her glass of wine and found a table out front. Placing her feet up on the little wrought iron fence that partitioned the cafe's patio from the rest of the sidewalk, she looked out over the crowd.

There was a street performer out with a guitar. The case was set open in front of him and he was currently singing "Heroin, She Said" by Wolfsheim. Nodding her head, Tavi smiled. He was pretty good.

When Therese joined her, she looked up at the taller woman and smiled.

"Look, we get musical entertainment."

Therese 13 years ago
Cheese, she could stomach cheese for some reason, other than that most of the menu, not all but most, was dreadfully unappealing. Which was a shame as she was very hungry. But she did love the ambiance, it reminded her of home and the proprietor was indeed from France and knew better than to try too hard.

He knew her taste and Thérèse had asked him to pick a wine for her and followed Tavi outside. As she leaned on the railing and listened with a critical ear a server slid behind her and presented her with a glass of something cool and white she thanked him and nodded.

"He is not bad is he? I wonder if he will do Cocaine next, just to preserve the theme?"

Folding up a five as tight as she could Thérèse tossed it to the performer before settling down at the table. She felt strangely drained after their run. It hadn't been unusually aggressive or challenging, although being with Tavi had made hr push a bit more than usual.

"I'm glad you came out. My usual running partners doesn't always appreciate the creativity... or vertical surfaces."

She grinned. Nikhila could and had kept up with her on occasion but, even though the professor never said anything, Thérèse knew she didn't always truly enjoy herself.
Octavia Emiliano 13 years ago
Tavi watched Therese toss a five towards the man's guitar case with a good arm. It bounced off the rim and into the container. He looked up and smiled, nodding his head before going back to the song.

"Sure, and he can finish his set with "Rehab" to complete the message."

She took up her glass of white wine and took a sip. It was good, nice, crisp and refreshing, a little fruity, not too dry. It was perfect for the spring day.

"Hmm, yeah, its hard to find partners who are willing to run with me. Most don't keep up so well."

Tavi hated waiting or slowing down too much when she was running. The vertical climbs and leaps slowed her normal speed down, and made her easier to keep up with. She noticed that Therese was a good jumper, next time they should find more challenging terrain.

"So, how are you enjoying Nachton now that you've been here a bit?"
Therese 13 years ago
Thérèse laughed lightly. As a street performer he was probably used to such comments about his work, and some even crueler certainly. Hopefully their banter was at least some what entertaining for him.

The wine was cool and welcome, the weather was warming up noticeably, it wasn't any where near hot yet but it would be soon enough. For now though, spring was holding on and once the sunset it would cool off considerably.

"The industrial area is quite good, but I would only recommend it during the day. It is far too easy not to see something and hurt yourself at night."

Yes, you could run into some palettes. Although, he had been avoiding such isolated meetings lately. Thérèse thought, was not certain why, perhaps he was trying to avoid temptation and further injuring her. He was not stupid, people would notice if she continued to appear with unexplained injuries.

Ah, and this is where they entered polite lies and dancing around truths. It wouldn't be too hard at this point though.

"Very much actually, it has a good feel to it. The arts are lively enough and not totally unsupported and I've had the chance to renew some friendships."

Aside from two major problems she could be quite happy here. Her keeper would ruin any place she fled to. And seeing Vaughn so often was near torture. But she'd managed not to be alone with him, or even really speak with him since the laundry room and her chat with Gris. She very much wanted him to have the chance to... heal. That was the best word she could think of.
Tavi nodded, not wanting to argue with the advice that Therese gave. She remembered that the woman was old enough to be her mother, despite appearances, and it was the sort of practical thing you'd expect to hear from a more 'responsible' generation. At least there was no warning not to go out without a sweater also added in for good measure. It was probably even good advice; they saw better than humans at night but that still wasn't perfect. She liked running under the cover of darkness though; it allowed her to pull out all the stops and push her abilities to their full potential.

"That is a fun area."

She listened to Therese talk about Nachton. Of course the arts were mentioned and Tavi found herself a bit proud that the city made a good showing for itself in the Frenchwoman's eyes. It was almost like she was considering this place a home or something.
"That's good to hear. I didn't know you knew anyone here before you came so that's even better news that you've already know people. Where they school friends or something?"

Tavi wondered where Therese went for her journey, but she also wondered where the other woman had gone to school.
Therese 13 years ago
Fun was not quite how she would have put it. Remembering how fast her keeper was, how angry he'd been and how she'd been unable to fight back Thérèse flexed her jaw, although it was long since healed. But she didn't say anything, she couldn't.

"It has potential."

She more or less agreed, but hoped that Tavi would take the advice, even though it sounded slightly paranoid. Paranoid and motherly, it might be just as well to drop that conversation.

Thérèse smiled.

"I didn't know any one was here, but Nikhila and I have known each other quite a while. Quite a surprise to find her here."

And a Kadzait. They had both been rather stunned to see the other and had probably broken a few rules of protocol but neither Alpha seemed to mind at the time.

"She was my professor, more than once and in more than one country."' Thérèse laughed. "And Greer's arrival has been welcome. He is... well he is our families have been familiar for as long as anyone can remember. He is quite a good friend once he shelves his annoying younger cousin habits. Have you met Greer yet?"
"Sleep wrong?" Tavi asked after watching Therese stretch her jaw. She hadn't seen Therese run into anything and there didn't seem to be a bruise.

She nodded, remembering the tall Indian woman with the Alpha of the other pack. They had seemed nice enough; surprising after years of hostility amongst their people. If anyone could make new friends and alliances it was her father. People told her that he was different, more thoughtful, more cunning than the leaders of the past. His strength was in his intelligence and stamina, not in emotion or violence. Sometimes she was proud of the old man.

"Oh? What Uni did you go to?" Tavi smiled invitingly. She wondered if Therese had known her friend was from the other pack before they met for their run or not.

She figured Greer was the blond that Therese had been talking to at the fire. They certainly appeared to know each other. The Frenchwoman's words were heartening; it did not appear that she thought of this guy as a potential mate.

"I've not met him. I think I saw him in passing perhaps. Wild curls, kind of tall and slender? He looks cute. I might tolerate my cousins more if they were that handsome."
Therese 13 years ago
The question puzzled Thérèse for a moment, she hadn't realized she had been stretching her jaw. She smiled warmly, yet dismissively.

"An old injury."

Not so old as she would like. It was something she'd have to pay attention to as well, something of a tell. He would not approve, or perhaps as he hadn't addressed that per say it could be used to help others find him. Although, she would prefer no one else become involved with the mulo. It was too dangerous.

Letting Tavi's question distract you she laughed.

"All of them. I had a dean once say I had given him a road map not a transcript. I should have known there was more to Nikhila than met the eye when she turned up in Morocco, Spain and France. The only one I lay claim to is the University of Paris where I did my masters. What of you? I should imagine your records are as jumbled as mine."

It had been stupid over looking the obvious like that with Nikhila, but she could laugh at it now. Rather than dwell on it she chose to try and draw Tavi out a bit.

With another laugh and nod she confirmed that guess.

"Oui that is him. Do not let him fool you," She said still grinning, "he is quite aware of how charming and attractive he is and is not afraid to use that. He is a closet trouble maker."

There was no mistaking the fondness in her voice though, as she took another sip of her wine and smiled in memory of some of the trouble they had caused, or that Greer had tagged along and witnessed. Perhaps none of them were saints, but it had been fun.

"Have you many cousins here in Nachton then?"

Thérèse did miss her family a bit. But they still managed to keep in touch, technology was wonderful, especially with the advent of wireless and the cell phone.
Tavi gave Therese a confused frown for half a moment, wondering what injury could still be bothering her as a werewolf, even silver would have healed if it were old. They were blessed with disgustingly good health. A reminder of some old injury then? What had they been talking about? Nachton? Running? Perhaps that explained why Therese had cautioned her about running through the industrial district at night; she had fallen or missed a jump and it sill worries her. She forgave Therese her earlier mothering in light of that distinct possibility for its cause.

She nodded a bit about her school records, having gone to school in a dozen or so places at least. Tavi answered.
"I finished Uni in London on the last part of my journey."

Therese confirmed the identity of the blond and further claimed him to be a charming trouble maker. Tavi smiled, thinking she liked the guy already and her father would have yet another reason not to like him.

"Not so many here, some though. Definitely none that cute."

Tavi took a sip of her wine and then leaned forward.
"So I'm guessing you didn't go to Cardiff?"
Therese 13 years ago
"Ah one school not on my list.�

She was rather curious about Tavi's apparent interest in Greer and decided they should meet. No she was not playing match maker or being a meddlesome grandmother, but they might enjoy each other's company, at least as friends and that was always a good place to start.

"I have never seen the advantage in good looking cousins... they are well... cousins. Although, I have a third cousin that I spent a better part of my teens pining for.�

What she said though, it was a game something to entertain. Although he had been, and still was, quite good looking and charming Luc was also rather smitten by a human. It really was a rather romantic story.

The story, however, flew from her head and her mouth went dry at Tavi's rather leading question. Thérèse took a sip of her wine to both cover her pause and help wash the guilt down. If nothing else, she did not want Tavi thinking ill of her father.

There was no point pretending she didn't know what Tavi as getting at so Thérèse just smiled lightly and set her glass down.

"Non, I have not even been to Wales. But the loan was very much appreciated after getting caught in a very cold rain. I think my teeth were beginning to chatter, he must have felt sorry for me.�

It made more sense to tell the truth, just a carefully edited and selective version of the truth. Leaving out the conversation they'd had, the day they had shared and the fact that she still had that sweatshirt and was rather unwilling to give it up.
"Oh there's probably no advantage to them except for their annoyances might be better tolerated if they were cuter, that's all."

Tavi smiled and thought of her cousins, even the more distant ones, and didn't find any of them very appealing. She thought it was because she had Tobi that it didn't much matter. They were always there for each other and so there was less reason to chase after the attentions of other members of the family. Plus the two of them looked so much younger than the ones that were their age that they were outsiders for a bit. They kept to themselves, keeping each other company instead of following around older relatives.

She listened as Therese explained the reason her father gave her a sweatshirt. Tavi nodded and then leaned forward.

"Yes, but he didn't have to give you his favorite."

Leaning back with half closed lids and a satisfied smile, she shrugged.
"He's in love with you. I know he is. But what I want to know is, do you love him in return?"
Therese 13 years ago
That was considerably more direct than Thérèse had been prepared for. She'd only managed to admit her feelings to Greer, and then in a round about way. She wasn't even allowing herself to have, to acknowledge them.

Control was something Thérèse had in spades. While the question was not what she had expected, and not even terribly welcome Thérèse gave no visible sign. Toying with her wine she tried to consider her answer. Too fast a denial was as good as an admission too long a pause was covering something up.

She had to gauge this just right, and it was a very fine line.

The hardest part was not smiling when Tavi told her that was Vaughn's favorite sweatshirt. Well, perhaps not the hardest part, she wanted to ask about his being in love with her. But that certainly she couldn't ask.

"I think it was perhaps just handy, he was doing laundry."

Favorite or not, he wasn't getting that shirt back until she was quite done with it.

With little fanfare Thérèse found an answer that satisfied her and she hoped would satisfy Tavi.

"I cannot be. He has a wife, a Savia, you have a mother. I am just another wolf in the pack."
Tavi's expression displayed her skepticism clearly. She had seen the laundry basket there on the floor and knew that he had plenty of other shirts that he could have handed over. He chose that one. Giving Therese that small thing that was meaningful to him said a lot. Add that with his reaction the other night at the fire and even a non detective could sort this particular mystery out.

She listened to Therese's explanation, noting that the other woman didn't answer her question. Tavi knew the reasons for why Therese -shouldn't- love her father but what she wanted to know was if the woman loved him despite those.

"He obviously thinks you're more than just another wolf."

With a sigh, Tavi turned away, watching the street performer who was apparently amused by their suggestion and was now singing 'Cocaine'. Still watching, she said.

"I've never seen him happy. Not really. There are moments I remember when he almost looked content but they were few and far between."

She turned and looked back at Therese. "If you love him. I'd suggest telling him." Tavi shrugged, she knew her father. He would do what he thought was right whether it was what he wanted or not. The thing she could see that would change his mind would be Therese's feelings. What he might not do for himself, he might do for someone he cared about. It was hard to say, her father was a mystery, even to her.
Therese 13 years ago
"If he does so, then he is too generous."

In truth, because of her keeper and what he had her doing, she was a liability. But she'd still found now way around his commands, the compulsions that held her.

Deliberately she turned her attention to the musician, becoming far too interested in the man's playing.

Never, was quite a long time. But so far, what she knew of Tavi they young woman was rather astute and not prone to exaggeration, this suggested there was some truth to what she said. When she combine this with what Vaughn himself had told her it was upsetting. Thérèse could tolerate her own pain, after all she'd been the one to start this but it was harder to let some one else suffer for her mistake. Still there was the good of the Pack to think about

Not turning back to Tavi she sipped at her wine again, more to be doing something with her hands than anything.

"It is not a bad suggestion. Perhaps a bit complicated but I shall take it under advisement."

She still hadn't admitted to anything, although that hardly mattered at this point.

Setting the glass down she turned to Tavi and smiled brightly, one would never know there was anything wrong.

"It might not make much of a difference though."
Tavi frowned at Therese, narrowing her eyes dangerously. She didn't like her friends to think badly of themselves and she had come to think of the French woman as a friend. Tavi supposed it was because she worked so hard all her life against the negative views of the people closest to her that she felt it important to know your own worth. She wouldn't let Therese doubt her's.

"I don't think so. Obviously neither does he."

Unless she was suggesting her father would fall for just any wolf that happened to run by. If that were the case then he could have done that years ago and been much happier all this time. Tavi always wondered what her parents saw in each other and figured that it was an opposites attract sort of arrangement.

Her thoughts went to Drew, definitely her opposite in a lot of ways. The man was certainly dead sexy. She just hoped that if they stayed together that they would be happier than her parents. Was she as pushy and forceful as her mother?! She might be. And Drew was quiet and reserved...

Oh! My! God! I'm dating my father!

Her dad never looked like Drew though. Those big brown eyes and his goofy smile. Definitely different. Tavi comforted herself with that thought and the turned her attention back to Therese.

"It might. He'd at least know." She sighed. "Look, I'm his daughter and I'm saying if you make him happy then I'd like to see him happy."

That was what she was saying, right? It would be the end of her parents marriage. Tavi considered that for a moment. Trying to picture them separate. Somehow it was difficult but not impossible. She admitted they would probably even be happier.

"Especially if it'd make you happier too." Tavi smiled at Therese and picked up her glass of wine.
Therese 13 years ago
She didn't dispute that, she wasn't sure she could, if she did no doubt the question would be raise why and she couldn't answer that. The lack of answer would call attention as well. So all Thérèse could do was smile and let it go.

What would they think though, either of them, if they knew about the mulo who held her leash, about her spying on the Kadzait male when they were trying to build ties with the other Pack. God in heaven she could ruin so many things. She had to do something.

She wanted Vaughn, there was no question of that, he did make her happy and she though he had been happy in her company as well. For a moment Thérèse allowed herself to fantasize about a normal relationship, the idea that he might be interested in that. She even batted around the idea of a family, she wasn't too old for that. It wasn't something Thérèse had ever even considered before. Of course, he'd already had his, two grown children. It was doubtful he'd want to start over. She didn't mind that though.

Sighing she shelved those thoughts and shook her head at Tavi. While she deliberately refrained from mentioning that Vaughn already knew how she felt she did answer.

"I should like it if he was happy."

Thérèse laughed dryly at the idea she should be happy. That would not happen, not so long as she was held. But, perhaps, Tavi was right she had been too broody and withdrawn of late. Only barley interacting with the Pack, with the exception of Gris. He was still about to draw her out of herself a bit.

"What of you though? What makes you happy, it cannot be chasing cats all day."

Even though it was said lightly, playfully, she was disgusted with herself as soon as she said it. Even now she was following his orders. Mon Dieu she was not herself, this was not what she had been taught. Her family would be ashamed.
Tavi decided that she had said what she had to say and was done pressing into her father's and Therese's business. They could do what they liked but she thought they were just making each other suffer for no good reason.

Shrugging in answer to her companion's question she said.

"Cats are only fun to chase if you can eat them afterward...and they don't really run fast enough to be entertaining for long."

Thinking about Drew earlier brought him to mind again.

"There's a guy I've been seeing. I like him. Its hard to tell whether he feels the same though. I mean he seems to like me okay but he hasn't...done anything. We've been on more than enough dates for it to be perfectly acceptable for him to want to shag me silly but he hasn't even groped inappropriately."

Tavi sighed and drank some more of her wine, looking up at Therese.

"Maybe he isn't really all that interested."
Therese 13 years ago
Even knowing the answer to the question Therese didn't have a good answer for Tavi.

What she knew was that this young man, attractive as he was, came with a list of complications a mile long. There was the Sorenson woman, although they seemed much more like friends than lovers. As near as Therese could pick up, former lovers.

More important, he was a Kadzait. Their relations with the other pack were fair, if not good, but this would be something entirely different. And obviously the young man had not seen fit to tell Tavi what he was yet. That would be an interesting conversation.

Then of course, the mulo was interested in him. That worried Therese, she had no idea what her keeper wanted with the man. Nor did she have any idea how aggressive her keeper would be or if any of that would come back to Tavi. That was a worry she hadn't considered.

"I hear they are a dying breed, but perhaps you simply have a 'nice guy' on your hands. He might just be being polite, respectful even. It could happen."

She considered for a moment before adding,

"In my experience most men do not hang around if they are not interested."
Tavi thought about it for a moment and shrugged. "If that's the case, then what do you do with that? I mean if I get any more forward I'd be pulling his clothes off in public."

Which was a fun thought actually, but somehow she figured her boyscout wouldn't go for it. Even in a backroom somewhere. Well, maybe she could convince him...at some point. Really she'd just like to know what was going on in the handsome head of his.

Therese had a good point. Drew wouldn't still be around if he wasn't interested. Right? "Well, there's degrees of interest. I like hanging out with you; We're great friends. I think you're hot, let's have sex and I'm madly in love with you and want to have you to have my children."

She snorted and then took another sip of her wine. "I don't think he's to that third yet which is probably a good thing."

Though Tavi still tried to picture what their kids would look like. It was a silly schoolgirl thing but she couldn't help it. Next she'd be seeing how his last name sounded behind her first.

Really, she'd just like to know what he thought of her. They could write the wedding invitations later.
Therese 13 years ago
Thérèse really did want to tell Tavi to break it off with this man. He was the wrong pack, ultimately they were very probably no good for each other. Even if they were good together the one would always be an outsider in the other's pack. But she couldn't say anything, her choke collar wouldn't let her.

Instead she laughed and actually considered the problem. He was a wolf, perhaps...

"Maybe you should let him persue you? If nothing else it cannot hurt."

At the idea of children Thérèse swallowed her wine wrong and coughed a bit. Getting herself back under control she shook her head.

"It would seem you are more than a little smitten."

She was going to need a therapist after all was said and one. It was a wonder she hadn't gone crazy before this. Perhaps that is what happened to her keeper's last pet. They just finally went mad trying to reconcile the two parts of their existence. She wondered how long that would take in her case.

"When you ask though, you may want not to start with that third option though. It might just be a cue to retreat, especially if he is a young man and not ready to settle down."

Never mind the fact that she knew he was older than he looked. It was a plausible suggestion.
Tavi thought about that for a moment and then laughed. "There's no way he could catch me and we both know it." Taking another sip of her wine, she smiled. "Though I suppose I could slow down for him."

She couldn't help but laugh when her companion coughed in her glass of wine at the mention of children. Tavi gave Therese a smug grin and shook her head. Of course it was her turn to cough and sputter when Therese suggested she was smitten and then suggested that she not mention the third option to Drew.

"Hell no! I am not ready for the third option. He's not even seen me naked. I'm pretty sure that comes before children and wanting to have them with someone. I'd like to know he'd be around first. That he'd even want any before ever telling him such a thing."

Not that it wouldn't be nice to imagine a long term relationship with Drew, it would but right now she had a hard time doing that. He was friendly and fun to be with but she didn't know a lot about him.