Confronting the Me (Attn: Bao)

She wasn't really sure why she was back here. The murderer was still loose and Sorin certainly wasn't very safe. Jacqueline sat down in the dinning room and stared into the depths of her wine glass. She was subdued tonight, even her appearance looked it. She had on a pair of black denim capris and a black and white striped boat necked shirt with a pair of black ballet flats.

Claire wanted out and seemed to think that after the conversation with Akahana that it was time to come back to the Manor.

Jacqueline had evaded that inner compulsion for a while, driving it away with shopping, hunting and sex but any time her mind was quiet there was Claire. She demanded to go home.

So here they were.

Bao 13 years ago
The dinning room held a certain fascination for Bao. He had never really thought about it, but perhaps that fascination was in part because it was a useless room. In a household of vampires, why did they even bother with the pretense? It wasn't as if they had dinner parties.

He didn't dwell on it, he had a meeting to prepare for.

Bao entered the dinning room with his laptop and a portfolio full of files and notes. The staff were fairly well acquainted with his habits and nearly as soon as he entered a hot cup of Turkish coffee was bought out and set down for him.

He, however, did not get to the coffee, he was brought up slightly short at the sight of Claire, no. From the looks of it still Jacqueline. He didn't even allow himself a sigh.

"Bon soir mademoiselle. I hope I am not disturbing you."

There was no move to establish himself at the table. If he were truly disturbing her, Bao would leave.
Claire 13 years ago
"Bon Soir, Monsieur. Non, I would expect that it is I who is disturbing you." Jacqueline turned and gestured toward the rest of the room. He had all his things in hand ready for his work day.

Look, Claire, he does not have time for us right now. I guess we should go.

"We, or I, came looking for you." She gestured to herself in a frustrated manner. "For help."

Apparently Claire could be very stubborn when she wanted. Jacqueline could tell that she would get no peace until the other woman was allowed to resurface. She wondered was it simply because of Bao or was there something more important that was driving her other personality.

Jacqueline reasserted herself with something that Claire would have a hard time denying her the use of, politeness.

"But it appears that you are busy. I can come back another time."

She reached for her glass of wine and moved away from the table.
Bao 13 years ago
It was impossible to tell who exactly he was talking to. He should hope it was Claire but the clothing seemed to indicate otherwise. Deciding it was better to show than to tell, he simply set his laptop case and files down. But he picked up his coffee and moved to sit directly across the table from her, leaving work down on the far end. Help, far too many people were looking to him for help these days and the one, Amir, he hoped would could not. The use of the word 'we', however, made up his mind. He would try.

"No, technically this is my night off."

Bao took one night a week off whether he needed it or not. The fact that he often wound up working any way was irrelevant. It did, however, make his schedule more flexible. Frowning as she stood he was sorely tempted to command her back into place. From his one brief interaction with Jacqueline Bao felt she might be a bit headstrong and difficult to work with and he didn't have the time or patience for that most days. But that was terribly rude.

"I would rather discuss this now if it is all the same to you."
Both of her. But it also seemed less than polite to call attention to the fact that he was dealing with two different people in one body.
Claire 13 years ago
Jacqueline acknowledged his words by sitting down again in front of her glass of wine. She favored him with a slight nod.

"I am sure that you had better things to do in your time off."

She smiled softly at him. Jacqueline leaned forward, putting her elbows on the table and cradling her head in her hands. Claire wanted this. Jacqueline was afraid of it. She wondered how well he would be able to command her. One half wanting it and the other fearing it.

"It seems that Claire is intent on coming back." Jacqueline shrugged. "I can ignore her for a while but she's very instant. Don't let the polite exterior fool you. She's quite stubborn."

Gazing into his dark eyes, she told him the truth. "I don't want to disappear. I won't make this easy."
Bao 13 years ago
That Bao didn't answer, he didn't even nod. There was really no good way to respond with out insulting one of them.

Lightly lifting an eyebrow, in a manner that might be perceived as amused he acknowledged that Claire was stubborn. Many of their kind were. You did not often survive centuries with out more than a little determination. He wished that he knew more of Claire, he might have a better understanding of how stubborn she was and how to help her if he had been slightly more aggressive.

"Polite has never meant push over, at least not in my experience."

Often perusing things through a dance of manners meant someone was even more determined than their aggressive and often rude counter part. But that didn't matter. What mattered was that this implanted personality did not want to leave. Bao wasn't sure what to make of that. What he did understand was that Sorin had not resurfaced. He, undoubtedly, would be able to correct this.

"At least you are honest." He said archly as he considered the problem. "Should you disappear? Would you be needed again? Does Claire mind sharing space with you?"

The last was asked almost with a touch of humor. Why he found it rather jocular Bao wasn't certain but then again he had never had a roommate, as it were. It seemed to him that this was a peculiar landlord tenant agreement where perhaps the landlord had more rights than the tenant.
Claire 13 years ago
Jacqueline smiled at his words. Politeness might not be a sign of weakness, perhaps it was occasionally a lack of courage. No doubt Claire would disagree but Jacqui felt there were times when a situation called for straight forward honesty. It was more helpful to those people you might call friends to say what they need to hear instead of hiding behind courtesy and manners.

But she wasn't hear to judge methods. Jacqueline kept wondering why she was here at all.

"I try to be." She thought about his question for a moment. "I was obviously created for a reason. I don't think that situation has been resolved."

There was still a murderer loose, Claire's benefactor was still in jeopardy so it seemed likely that there was a good reason for her continued existence, but perhaps she was not the most unbiased party around.

Jacqueline took a sip of wine before answering the rest of his question. Setting the glass down again, she said.

"Claire volunteered for this. I would guess that means she doesn't mind sharing space."

Of course the arrangement was always meant to be temporary. Their job hasn't been done. She wondered why Claire wanted to change things now. So long as Bao was willing to entertain the idea of her staying, sharing as he said then Jacqueline felt more comfortable.

"What would you like me to do?"
Bao 13 years ago
That truly was key. Bao would not destroy Jacqueline if her purpose had not been served. Undoubtedly it was more than a little bit of work to so deeply implant a personality, to the point where it wanted to continue existing on its own. He made a little 'hmmm' sound and considered that snag for a second or three. Ultimately he was not going to be able to remove Jacqueline. Bao wasn't certain he'd be able to at any rate, but now he wouldn't even attempt it.

"So the question has become how much space she wishes to share and for how long."

On a purely personal level Bao wasn't sure how much he wished to share with Jacqueline. He had been enjoying getting to know Claire, but this person he was not so intrigued by. But he could not think that way. He concentrated on the larger picture and decided that if Claire wanted to come back there must be a reason for it. He wanted a second opinion on this. The best person he could think to ask, was Claire.

Well Jacqueline had asked, he wondered if she'd be cooperative. Bao decided he had to try. It was a very straight forward command, no subtly or depth, but in an odd way he hopped that would help. If this alternate personality could see the command was easily circumvented, easily removed, perhaps she would not fight it as much.

Adding a fair bit of weight to his words Bao told her simply,

"I should like you to leave us for a while. I need to speak to Claire without your influence."
Claire 13 years ago
That was indeed the important question. Jacqueline didn't want to go at all but once the crisis was over she could not expect Claire to want to share her existence with her. Why would she?

"Je ne sais pas." She shrugged.

She listened to his words, feeling the weight of his command pressing against her mind. It was his will and she could choose to fight it or let it in, surrender to it and let it take hold. For the space of a heartbeat Jacqueline contemplated resisting but she knew that it was no use. Claire would continue to push and if Jacqueline continued to fight her then eventually Claire would win back control. It was a sure path to self destruction as far as she could tell. Bao's words held the promise of hope that she would not be destroyed completely; all she had to do was relinquish control for a little while.

Jacqueline let go.

Sitting up a little straighter in the chair, Claire blinked a few times and looked around her. She pulled her elbows off the table and placed them neatly in her lap.

She knew where she was. Claire could see everything that Jacqueline did or said. To her it felt like a surreal dream. It was her but not. Occasionally, like a dream, she could exert a bit of control and that was how she convinced Jacqueline to come here and speak with Bao.

Claire turned her dark gaze toward him, across from her. She favored him with a small shy smile.

"Merci beaucoup, Bao. It is very good to see you again."
Bao 13 years ago
That made two of them. It was possible that Claire did not want Jacqueline all together gone; she might actually be an asset. Who knew. All Bao was certain of was he did not want to personally engage in this type of deceit unless absolutely necessary. He did not like people playing about in his head.

It was odd, but he could see the change between the two. Several minute gestures and adjustments, a slightly different expression. He considered smiling back at Claire, but was too absorbed by the problem to actually act on that. He only inclined his head.

"Welcome home Claire, it is good to see you as well."

He wasn't certain how long Jacqueline would give them, he had not been specific about that. But he had done so deliberately. In a strange way he was trying to establish trust with the alternate personality, to give her some choice in all this. Command could be used like a hammer, but when the recipient was receptive it often worked better. At least in his experience.

"It seems you have entered into a bit of a time share arrangement. I apologize for being so blunt but was there a reason you wished to return early?"
Claire 13 years ago
She watched him for a moment or two, happy to have the ability to do that. Claire would almost swear he was happy to see her but Bao rarely displayed his emotions so openly.

"Thank you."

Frowning thoughtfully at his question, she tried to come up with the best answer. There was more than one reason that she wanted to return. Some were personal and some were for the clan. The one for the good of Anantya was the most reasonable one to give. If he wanted the other then he'd need to ask for it.

"Jacqueline had a conversation the other day with another member of the Night. She has been made to not understand the significance in what she saw. At least not fully. In case I was captured she would not be able to connect everything together." Picking up the glass of wine, Claire took a sip and continued thoughtfully. "I do wonder what purpose he gave her. The personality is not at all odd for Sorin's...tastes." Claire frowned and blushed slightly at Bao. "But most likely her other traits are for a specific purpose. Perhaps when you see her next you can ask."

Getting back to the question, she said.

"Jacqueline spoke with Akahana. It seems she has been working with the murderer. From what I could gather from guesses based on their conversation, I believe Sorin suspected a connection to the deaths of so many Ancients with command. He found a suspect or suspects he believed were potentially responsible and sent in agents with cover stories. Made over personalities like Jacqueline, only much more intricate and harder to break. Each of them would have a code word or phrase to release them from their false identity so that they could return with the information they had gathered. We should be seeing Akahana any day now."

Claire sighed. "However, I wonder in what state we will find her. The people in the Shelter have obviously been commanded to believe that Sofia is simply away. Akahana does indeed have command but..." She shook her head. "Sorin would not be so stupid as to let her keep using it with someone who is targeting that ability. So her persona probably believed she did not have the talent which means someone else commanded the women at the shelter. If that is the case then we might find that she is incapable of telling us what we want to know."

Another person needing Bao's help, Claire thought ruefully, at this rate he might need to become a full time command therapist.
Bao 13 years ago
This was why he didn't belong to the Night. Too many twists and turn. Claire but not Claire spoke with Jane Doe who wasn't Jane Doe... why couldn't the Night do things neatly and cleanly? He sighed but listened intently, one corner of his mouth quirking upward slightly, as Claire sipped at Jacqueline's wine. Apparently the two of them did have something in common.

He didn't even want to know what Sorin's taste were. But he did question this man's wisdom sending these women in to do his dirty work. But then again, that was what their order was about, misdirection and deceit. So Bao gained control of his more sexist impulses and just sighed. It was always up to the Rose to sort things out after the fact wasn't it?

"I am afraid I have not had the pleasure of her acquaintance. Is there any way you can direct her to me?"

That news actually startled Bao into a reaction, his eyebrows shot up his forehead. They had a suspect, that was excellent. They most certainly had to find Akahana and this possible suspect. This could not be allowed to continue.

"I suspect we should find her as soon as possible."

If Claire was worried about this woman there was undoubtedly a good reason. Thinking mostly of Amir, and Claire although he didn't fully realize that, Bao readily agreed to assist.

"This may be beyond my capabilities, is there anyone else who could assist?"
Claire 13 years ago
"Non, She has not been around the clan very often in the past decade. I asked Sorin about this some time ago as we were..." Claire toyed with the rim of her glass "close. He said that she was away on a mission that would probably take some time."

Ten years was nothing in a thousand but she still worried and wondered what had happened to her friend.

"Akahana had not been living here before she left on this mission so I do not know where she might be staying now. Her family is here though." Claire looked up at Bao. Normally she would not reveal such a connection but it was useful that he know who Akahana was, who would likely see her and why she might be returning. " Mai is her Creator."

To his other question, she frowned. "Normally I would have suggested Sorin or Akahana herself but obviously neither of those answers will work. There is Morrigan. If Akahana is willing to trust her."

Claire would not even though she knew her bias came from Sorin's experience. There was enough very real bad blood between the two Elders for her to not want to rely on Morrigan's good graces with her psyche.
Bao 13 years ago
Lover? Maker? Both? It was known to happen, with some frequency even. Bao wasn't offended, only mildly curious. The time frame was interesting. He tried to remember how long Jin said these killings had been going on, if he'd even said anything along those lings. He could not recall.

Ah, that answered that question. Bao, however, was reluctant to disturb Elder Main, it seemed as if the Hunt might be a bit busy these days. Not that Jin was any less so, but this would more directly relate to his work. Yes, that was how they should proceed.

A slight turn of his head silently asked Claire to explain that. If one could not trust the Elders perhaps there was a deeper story. Did he need to know that. However, as he didn't give voice to those thoughts it would be simple enough to ignore the unasked question, or put it off for later discussion.

"Perhaps then we should find, or direct her to Jin. If she has been working on this for a time he will undoubtedly have questions for her."

Delegation was an art form. And if Jin required further assistance Bao would be happy to offer it, but he preferred to have some guidance here.

It should be a simple matter to find Jin as well, all they had to do was find his sister.
Claire 13 years ago
She chose to ignore Bao's subtle question for the moment. They were speaking of Akahana and Claire did not want to say for someone else who she would trust to use command on her. Claire's own personal views of Morrigan were complicated and not important right now.

She nodded at him solemnly; Jin was probably a good choice. She had not met him until recently but she knew that Akahana was fond of him, plus Jin was the one working on this case now that Sorin was gone.

Claire didn't feel Jacqueline returning which surprised her but she did wonder how long she had before the commands and the other personality took over again. Bao's command was not specific in a length of time.

"I heard what you said to Jacqueline. I don't mind sharing space with her. She might still be needed." Claire frowned thoughtfully. "I would like to...stay me, for now, if that's possible. Perhaps we can come up with a trigger to call Jacqueline back? One only we know. She would need to agree. I can perhaps let her have control some nights to do as she pleases if she goes willingly the rest of the time."

She looked uncertain for a moment, and then making up her mind, Claire stood and walked around the table to Bao.

"Before you call her back though, would you mind if I were personal for a moment?"
Bao 13 years ago
It was not offended that she didn't answer the question. In fact, he'd rather expected that, it was part of the reason he had handled the situation as he had.

He inclined his head. All considered, he would rather Claire remain herself as well but he did not want to break trust with the alternate identity.

"How much are you aware of when she is... driving?"

He didn't understand how this arrangement worked, what Claire was giving up for Jacqueline and who was really in charge. He wasn't sure he -wanted- to know, but he needed to how much was he couldn't to have to repeat, how many times was he going to have to negotiate with both of them.

"I think that is a fine idea. Perhaps a phrase would be better than a word and I would suggest another language, even French is too common. Vietnamese? Latin?"

Latin wasn't his best language but he was capable. It seemed more likely that Claire would know the language as well.

He didn't move a muscle as she walked around the table, but did follow her with steady dark eyes. Only when she stopped did he turn.

"No, not at all."
Claire 13 years ago
Claire considered his question. "I am aware of everything. Its like a dream. I don't think Jacqui is as aware...not in the same sense. When she is not in control then she is gone." She shrugged. "She isn't real. However, since she is still essentially me then she knows what I know when she is active again, unless it was commanded for her not to."

Obviously Jacqueline did not know who Sorin was in relation to the two of them and other things he kept from her so that she could not give them away.

Thinking about what phrase that might work, Claire decided that Latin was best. Unless she was planning a trip to the Vatican then it would not be spoken around her. Vietnamese was another good choice but that was still a living language which gave it a more likely possibility of being said accidentally, plus she didn't understand it herself.

"How about this? Tu fui, ego eris." It was appropriate and unlikely to be said in normal conversation.

Bao gave her permission to be personal. Claire suspected her intention was not what he was expecting when he agreed but, well, she had asked.

She bent down to him, placing her hands gently on each side of his face, and kissed him, every bit as deeply and passionately as Jacqueline had weeks before. When she pulled away, Claire looked regarded him with serene brown eyes.

"Zat." She stroked her thumb lightly across his jaw. "Zat was from me."

((OOC: translation:
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be. ))
Bao 13 years ago
"So long as you are both aware, in some form or another. It should make things easier trying to communicate that way if nothing else."

He nodded his agreement with the language and phrase. It would be easy enough to remember and was long enough that it would not simply happen in conversation, even if one was conversing in Latin. He was satisfied, and Claire seemed satisfied, that at least for now that business was concluded. She would not have asked to get personal if it hadn't.

It was a bit of a surprise to have Claire kiss him. Not unpleasant, but a surprise. Jacqueline's kiss he almost understood, he had rationalized it quite thoroughly. This, however, was unexpected. Not unwelcome though. It took him less time to return this kiss. This was Claire not her alter ego. This woman he knew, liked and respected.

He caught her hand as it brushed his jaw and kissed the palm lightly.

"The difference is noted, appreciated and I thank you for it."
Claire 13 years ago
She watched him, smiling softly at the kiss on her palm. Bao had returned the embrace but Claire was now less certain. He had returned Jacqueline's as well, granted he might have thought it was her at the time but he had said that he knew the difference. So was he simply being polite?

He liked her better than Jacqueline but that was hardly the same as interest.

With a soft sigh, she leaned back against the side of the table, holding the edge of it with her hands. He must think her crazy. Her actions were inappropriate, unasked for. The least she could do was explain and hope Bao would forgive her sudden forwardness.

"Jacqueline, she knows that I." Claire looked up and smiled at him shyly before looking away again. "...am fond of you. That's why she kissed you. I just wanted you to know that it was not only her."

In fact Jacqueline had only pushed herself on Bao to make a point to Claire. She couldn't really talk to her alter ego quite the way Jacqui could converse with her. Being forward doesn't make someone care for you, she thought with a tiny amount of spite at her dormant personality. Though it tends to let you know the truth that much faster.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be overly bold."
Bao 13 years ago
This was not something he knew how to handle well. Bao was formal and distant emotionally, he knew this. To some extent he prided himself on that, when he let his reserve crack things tended to get... interesting. Look at how he'd injured Pakpao, and there was no denying that he -had- injured her. She was only now starting to trust him.

When he did, on occasion, allow himself to become involved in a relationship it more often than not ended because of this failing. And it didn't always hurt him, but left the other party rather wounded. It startled Bao to realize he did not want to inflict that on Claire, and to a lesser extend Jacqueline, but only because Claire would be aware of it.

But how one proceeded was beyond Bao. However he did not run from conflict, even one such as this. Between unnatural speed innate to their kind and all the training he had over the years, centuries, he stood and pulled her into his arms kissing her deeply, yet still never loosing control in that long moment. Not wanting to further force advances on her he politely stepped back from her.

"You were not. You were merely direct."
Claire 13 years ago
Claire found herself being pulled into his embrace. She had just leaned down to his kiss, her arms going around him when it seemed he was already pulling away. Watching him step back, she smiled softly.

"So long as you were not offended."

Tucking the newly short hair behind one ear, Claire tilted her head.

"And while I'm being direct." Her smile widened at the term. "I shall say that I like you...very much. Perhaps I am too -complicated- at the moment. I certainly can't expect you to care for me as I am but I wanted you to know." Claire shrugged her shoulders, there was still a murderer loose and Akahana's presence at the shelter told her that she was a target. Perhaps no longer the best one, which would give her some reprieve but she could find herself in danger at any time. That too was unfair to Bao. "I would hate to have not told you. Should I never get another chance."

She stepped forward again and placed her hands on his shoulders. Claire regarded him intently willing him to understand the depth of feeling behind her words.

"Thank you so very much for all you've done for me."