This Is Literature?

The bookstore always felt like home to Pak, probably one too many years as a librarian. Some days she wished for that life again, it was quiet, more solitary, fewer emergencies. But then again the field was changing fast, look at how many libraries were closing how much was electronic. Apparently she was doomed to wind up living her life through a computer one way or another. At least she was a head of the curve this way.

But she wouldn't give up turning pages. Yes Kindles and the like were amazing and handy and useful and even kind of cute but they couldn't make her get one. She liked turning pages, the sound, the smell the feel of a book. Besides, what did you do if you dropped your Kindle in the bath?

As per usual Pak didn't know exactly what she was looking for when she started in, but she got it in her head to re-read Wuthering Heights. Picking that up she moved along a bit to Jane Austin. Pak was a closet Austin fan, it was just so pretentious and yuppy to read Austin these days, even if you did read it when it was first published. She was trying to remember which one she'd read most recently, probably Pride and Prejudice. Well, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but it was close enough.

She was trying to peer around a red head without getting in the way or being obnoxious, hey she could do nice some times, when some one brushed passed her. Someone much bigger. Pak should have been prepared, Bao was trying to teach her that. But since she hadn't learned yet Pak wound up stumbling into the shelves, which wobbled just a bit. Just enough for a large heavy book to shake loose and start falling. Self preservation kicked in and Pak mentally grabbed it and stopped it. Shit she was going to do some fast talking if the red head saw it.

Rowan Murphy 13 years ago
Rowan was off work and looking for something to do to relax. Having located Liefde's spacious gym he'd practiced fencing until he felt the stress of his shift fading. It wasn't always that way; sometimes his shift was enjoyable. In fact, most nights it was enjoyable. He loved kids. They were so much fun, so imaginative, and so open.

So how a mother could break her child's arm didn't compute with him. It made him angry. He'd done his job; patched up her son, reported her to CPS and done what he could to make sure they little boy didn't leave with her. It still bothered him.

He'd relaxed with a cup of coffee at Barney's and that had been enjoyable. Now he was in the bookstore wandering somewhat aimlessly and enjoying that too. His travels had brought him to the classics and he'd picked up Sense and Sensibility. He did like Austen.

And then he had found Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

He liked that even better.

Now Rowan stood with two books, one in each hand, pondering both of them. He was aware of people moving around him but not entirely. He was enthralled by Colonel Brandon's tentacle face... thing. A small figure peeked around him but didn't say excuse me or anything so Rowan, predictably, did not move.

He did turn and stare a little at the subsequent stumble and shelf-shake, raising an eyebrow when the heavy book that began to fall stopped before actually going anywhere. Transferring one of the books into his right hand Rowan reached out with his left and pushed the floating book back onto its spot on the shelf.

"Nice catch," he said to the small Asian woman beneath him. Course, it wouldn't have happened if she'd just said 'scuse me.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Looking up from her reflexive cringe Pak saw the book hanging there and also saw the red head push it back into place. She blushed a little bit. Usually she was much better with that sort of thing, she remembered when she was around humans and didn't do anything she couldn't cover. Pak was a little embarrassed.

She sized him up quickly. Tall, red hair, the eyes were a slightly odd color, almost like the ocean, not bad looking Pak decided. More important, he wasn't freaking out and just put the book back. He was apparently not unfamiliar with telekinesis. She felt a little better realizing that.

"It is hard to master the art of letting something crack your skull open as a form of camouflage."

It was a weak defense but a very true one, it would have hurt like hell.
Rowan looked down, and down, at the little Asian woman. Her cheeks were tinted a faint pink; he didn't think it was makeup. It had been sort of an embarrassing gaffe. He glanced up at the book as if to make sure it stayed in its place, giving it a little glare.

"Why not?" He asked, only half joking. "It would have gotten better."

Rowan was a big fan of theatre. He didn't see any reason to not get used to covering any mistake that could be made; their lives were full of camouflage. Every night. Every day, in Rowan's case, trying to make sure he never slept anywhere unprotected.

He reached up to the book again and put his hand on it as if yto push it back off the shelf.
"Would you like me to help you practice?"

He offered her a cheeky smile; she might be angry at him but hopefully it wouldn't last.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I didn't want blood on the shirt."
Pak was wearing a rather fitted silk tee-shirt but with kimono sleeves, it was a nice shade of blue, like tropical water, blood would have been a problem. She also had to remember not to go out to eat in this shirt.
Playing with Kem had made her wary, Pak was good with her telekinesis but she knew there were bigger badder people out there. She had no idea what this guy could do, or how he would react. He might even be a human, that gave her pause, but after a second or two of deliberation she decided he was pushing his luck and needed to be taught a lesson. Mentally she wiggled a book loose. It was lighter and less damaging than the one that had tried to land on her, and conveniently behind him. She got it just to the edge and held it.

"I have enough people trying to throw things at me, thank you very much."
It was a cute smile, she -almost- regretted what she was about to do. But then she realized he probably got away with a lot thanks to that smile, released her hold on the book and let gravity take over.
"Well, I guess that's reasonable even if it might not stand up in an actual situation," Rowan conceded. He could be just as vain as the next vampire and he did have certain articles of clothing he'd rather not see bloodied.

She didn't really seem angry with him for his criticism. Rowan wasn't sure how much he cared about that but he did prefer to get along. He did, however, raise his eyes in question at her when she said she was used to dodging.

"Why would someone try to...?"

Before he could finish his sentence something hit him on the top of his head. It was neither hard nor heavy but when it came to split second decisions Rowan generally did well there. In light of the current conversation he decided to demonstrate.

He broke off mid-sentence and engaged in some slight theatrics. He let every muscle in his body go slack, rolling his eyes up into his head as he dropped bonelessly to the ground in a dead faint.
Christian Bern 13 years ago
"Causing more trouble, are we, Pakpao?" Christian glanced down at the prone redhead before returning his piercing blue gaze to the Asian woman in the aisle. He was dressed for work in the black suit and security ear piece. His hands were clasped behind his back and his legs were planted in a steady stance.

"I have been meaning to find you. I believe we have some clocks to discuss."

He really didn't care about the clocks and hadn't since identifying the problem but, in his own way, Christian had a sense of humor. Not everyone appreciated it and he had been told more than once that it was very dry.

Kneeling down he looked over the prone Rowan, Christian checked the man's aura finding it more transparent than most. Noting the use of subterfuge,He also saw just a general colour; it was a nice orange yellow suggesting the traits he had seen from the man when they first met. The redhead had a lively creative sense of humor. Deciding to go along with the prank already in progress, Christian placed his hands gently along either side of Rowan's face and then raked his fingers lightly through the red hair. He winced at the imaginary bump and looked up with a concerned frown.

"What did you hit him with?"
Pakpao 13 years ago
Some day she might try and explain the 'why' rather than just demonstrating it. Not everyone appreciated a hands on. Still, Pak was stunned when he just ... collapsed. She froze in place and quickly looked to see what had fallen, it wasn't big she'd been careful about that just a paperback, it shouldn't have even really hurt a human but he was on the floor. Crap. What... how... she gnawed at her lip and was trying to decide what to do next, if he needed help when that decision was rather taken from her.

Well, her lessons with Bao were sort of paying off. She might be feeling guilty and like flinching at Christian's words but instead she just cut herself off, god subterfuge was great some days. Damned nosey empathy, take that. She might be feeling guilty and like running away but no one would ever know.

Looking totally nonplussed, not even slightly ruffled she answered quite calmly.

"I didn't hit him with anything. That," she nodded to the paperback on the floor, "fell off the shelf."

It might have fallen with some help, but she wasn't admitting anything until she knew how the red head was. If she'd inflicted serious damage she'd take care of it.

"Is he all right do you think?"

She asked quietly.
Rowan was going to let the Asian woman hang on for a bit and the plan didn't alter as they were joined by someone else. The tenor voice was familiar and it took Rowan a moment to place it. Christian, the man in the suit from the coffee shop when he'd first arrived. Carnival knife thrower. Aspiring French Country decorator. And, apparently, someone in some sort of position of authority if he were to talk to the woman - Pakpao, was it? - like that.

She seemed somewhat contrite. Rowan didn't mean to torment her; he was just proving his point. He very nearly laughed when Christian knelt next to him and ran his fingers through Rowan's hair as if searching for an injury. Especially humorous as Rowan was the doctor in the house at the moment, he assumed.

Pakpao's voice sounded genuinely concerned so Rowan dropped the glamour he'd been subtly using to drive the point home some and opened his eyes. He answered Pakpao, but Christian was kneeling over him so that was who he saw.

"Oh usually they tell me I'm a little better than all right." He grinned shamelessly. "I suppose we could go for a mild concussion. I should get plenty of rest and watch out for unstable shelving."

Staying where he was since he couldn't really get up until Christian moved, he continued to grin up at the blond in the black suit.
"Hello again Christian. Pakpao? It's Pakpao, right? Nice to meet you... Pakpao and I were just discussing the finer points of camouflage."
Christian looked at the tiny book and then raised a dubious eyebrow at Pakpao. He took the paperback and examined it a moment before holding it out to the woman.

"I think he will recover from his close encounter with." Christian flipped the book up and looked at the cover, "Lady Susan. In fact, a hit on the head is probably getting off quite light compared to most men who have encountered her."

He looked down neutrally at Rowan when he managed to 'recover' from his trauma induced faint. Christian only raised a slight eyebrow at shameless self promotion of skills anonymous others in the past have claimed to praise.

Standing he reached down a hand to the redhead. "Good evening, Rowan."

Christian was not sure what was meant by camouflage and was fairly certain that he missed something that would make the statement more clear. It apparently involved books or head injuries.

He turned back to Pakpao. "Shall I inform Grisha that there appears to be some unstable bookshelves in his store?"
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak felt her nerves just melt away. She'd been with... er around Kem enough to make a guess that he'd been messing with her head. God that was a... she narrowed her eyes at him. Although she did hold back on her usual string of profanity. Part of it was because she didn't know him and the other was because Christian was there. Pak was still working on the theory that if she just ignored the clock incident it would go away.

"I can arrange for some bed rest."

Pak said with a tiny little bit of menace. It was sort of hard to stay mad at him though, he was sort of charming. After a second or two and with a sigh she did finally see the humor in the situation and with reluctant good humor rolled her eyes, only nodding to acknowledge the sort of round about introduction. She cocked her head at Christian.

"At least we weren't working on how not to be seen."

One of her favorite Python's. Some how she didn't think Grisha would approve of them exploding things in his shop. Of course, she didn't know if either of the two men would get the reference. It didn't matter, it was funny to her.

"No... I don't think so. I got bumped and things got jostled is all."

OK it wasn't -all- but it was half of the story. She shot Rowan a look, half plead and half threat hoping he'd just go with that.
Rowan had a difficult time judging from Christian's expression if he were even remotely amused by the situation. He supposed he could try fishing around with empathy but not only did he sort of view it as cheating, he did not relish the idea of experiencing burning pain at the moment. He looked at the little book Christian held up and nodded sagaciously.

"Lady Susan... it's always the older widowed ones."

Pakpao threatened him with bed rest and Rowan shook his head.
"I'm afraid you'll have to take a number. I'll gladly forego the pleasure of throwing things at you if you can avoid pulverizing me. I'm not much for standing on lines."

He took Christian's offered hand just in time to hear Pakpao's next comment. He grinned.
"Well that's fortunate for me." Having just screwed up rule number 1, it was just as well for him he didn't see any explosives around.

Finally back on his feet Rowan nodded his thanks to Christian and caught Pakpao's look. Inwardly, he shrugged.
"It was an accident," he said, upholding her lie with one of his own. Never mind that she'd hit him in the head with a book, however small, Rowan gave her credit for getting him a good one.

Besides, while he didn't know Christian at all, he recalled the man did have a remarkably dry sense of humor. He suspected he was simply giving Pakpao a little hell.
Christian nodded solemnly at Pakpao. "Yes, I don't think Grisha would appreciate those maneuvers in his store and then I would be called and I'd not appreciate it either. So thank you for your restraint."

He noted that Rowan vouched for Pak's story and so he left it alone, not that he was planning on telling Grisha about his shelves anyway. For all he knew the old man had witnessed the entire situation from some hidden camera anyway.

Turning to the redhead, he asked. "So do pirates not believe in dodging or did the old lady sneak up on you?" Christian looked up to the shelves where he assumed the book came from. He glanced over at the Asian woman and gave her the slightest of winks before turning his gaze back to Rowan.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Technically Pak was both old and a widow but she didn't feel like getting bristly about that. She stood off to the side to let Chris help Rowan up.

"Charmer are we?"

Pak smiled a bit, slyly when it appeared that Rowan's people skills were about as good as hers. Odds were they were better, but it sounded like he wasn't a stranger to having things thrown at him.

"How about I just take a rain check? We can try and kill each other when it is more convenient."

To her own surprise Pak offered Rowan a genuine and grateful smile for agreeing with her story. It was mostly true after all.

"I'd think he'd appreciate it. It would liven the joint up."

Never mind that she would have killed any one who tried that sort of shit in her library.

Pirate? Huh, that was interesting. She didn't have any questions about movie myths and what have you. She wanted to know how he didn't get fried out in the sun all day. But maybe she'd save that for later.

It -was- going to have to wait until later because she -thought- she saw Christian wink at her. That did not fit in with her opinion of the man and threw Pak a bit. Did he actually have a sense of humor?
"Used to think so," Rowan said cheerfully to Pak. He shrugged, ambivalent on the topic; he'd never been told he was lacking, really.

The idea of a rain check made him laugh; it was his usual response to most things. Since quotes seemed to be their M.O. he raised his brows at Pakpao and said,
"So you mean you put down your rock and I put down my sword and we try to kill each other like civilized people? I can handle that."

Christian turned to him next after giving Pakpao hell about the shelving and Rowan kept his expression politely neutral as the shorter blond posed a question to him as well. He did his best to consider the question and then finally gave Christian a very simple answer that was and wasn't one at the same time.

"Yes," he said, allowing himself to smile once more.

Bending, Rowan picked up his two dropped books. They hadn't been harmed as he'd been sure to hold them carefully, but he had been planning on buying them anyway and didn't see any reason to change that decision.
Yet another quote. Christian sighed internally though he did actually like the movie. It was also one of Grisha's favorites and his Creator was fond of quoting Miracle Max, among other things. He doubted anyone else was allowed to hear such nonsense but he had spent long enough with Grisha to not be fooled by the gruff exterior so now the old man didn't bother.

At Pak's reply, Christian turned and looked toward the counter. Grisha sat behind the counter, a pair of glasses pushed out to the brim of his nose, frowning into a book. He didn't actually -need- the lenses in order to read but Grisha believed they suited him. Turning back to Pak, Christian raised both eyebrows.

"Does it appear to you that he wants it more lively? Sometimes I believe he'd happily sit here all day without customers. They disturb his reading." It was not as if Grisha needed the income from the place. He just liked collecting books, new, old and rare and enjoyed sharing them with other people.

He nodded at Rowan's answer, vague though it was. Christian took it to mean that pirates did NOT believe in dodging AND the Lady caught him unaware.

"I see, well, I suppose refusing to dodge is a good excuse for the times when you didn't see it coming. Good thing for you that you are likely to survive most of it anyway."
Pakpao 13 years ago
Suddenly rather cheerful Pak bounced once or twice before remembering she had heels on and was actually pulling off a semi mature, intelligent look for a change.

"Can we form a brut squad?"

It was that or something about being the biggest and the strongest, and no one here was going to buy that for a second. Although, with the heels she was giving at least Christian a run for his money.

Turning to look at the appropriate Pak considered livening things up. Personally she was of the opinion that the reading was a cover and he was a spy or a superhero or maybe ran a speakeasy or something. She hadn't made up her mind about his secret life, but was convinced he had one. She had known a lot of librarians like that.

"Yes, yes he does."

It was said with conviction and a nod before returning to the conversation at hand. Ah... to duck or not to duck and then something about slings and arrows. Truthfully she was now more interested in the books Rowan had in his hands.

"You should get the one with the sea monsters, the zombies came out quite well."

It was a silly little fad, but fun. If she had a creative bone in her body Pak would consider writing her own knock off. Probably something with werewolves, or maybe just cut to the chase and do vampires.
Rowan looked at the elderly-appearing storekeeper as Christian and Pakpao did. Obviously Rowan didn't know this Grisha so he couldn't offer an opinion, but he could follow the gist of the conversation well enough to see the source of amusement. Grisha looked like he wanted 'lively' about as much as Christian looked like he was about to launch into a rousing Shakespearean monologue.

He looked at Christian when he was addressed.
"Oh we don't make excuses," he said. "We just take our punches as they come." His lips quirked up wryly. "Of course, yes, survivability helps."

Pakpao, in the meantime, was looking at the two books Rowan held and offering her own opinion.
"You've read them then? I was thinking both. I can't resist the parody. The original is excellent, of course, but a good parody is always entertaining."

Rowan was generally a fan of anything humorous. Literature, if this could be called that, was no exception. He looked at Christian, who had yet to offer much of an opinion. He lifted the books.
"An Austen fan at all?" He asked. Christian had said before, out in front of Barney's, that he enjoyed reading.
Christian looked at Pak and stated evenly. "I am the brute squad." He realized he hardly looked the part but if anyone had that job description in the Towers then it was him.

He raised his eyebrows and looked back at Grisha, who looked over at the group of them and frowned before turning back to his book, and then back at Pak.

"Obviously you're looking at someone different than I am."

Christian smiled at Rowan's answer, pleased that the redhead could easily take the small jab pointed in his direction. The pirate's humor was as easy going when making light of himself as it was when harassing Eiryk.

How often did one hear phrases like "You should get the one with the sea monsters, the zombies came out quite well."?

He looked at the books in Rowan's hand and gave him a puzzled frown. "I have enjoyed Austen's work though I do not recall it involving either sea monsters or zombies."
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Not Sense and Sensibility and... Sea Monsters."

Pak wanted to say sea serpents, she supposed both were equal correct but didn't push it.

"But I very much liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the prose style held and the subplot didn't detract from the original."

She smiled shyly, and awkwardly, at Rowan. Making any kind of social overture was not her forte but so far he did seem to be a decent sort.

"Nope, just Grisha."

The book store was one of her favorite haunts after all.

The fact that Christian had offered any kind of humor let alone a smile shocked Pak. She had held the private belief that he was an android created by her third in command, a relatively young but talented vampire with some wild ideas about artificial intelligence. This seemed to disprove that and Pak wasn't entirely comfortable with that.

She just blinked.

"Later editions, with... improvements."

Was that flirting? Was Rowan flirting with Chris? Or Christian with Rowan? Maybe she should politely excuse herself for a clove, or a pack.
Rowan laughed softly when it was Christian who finished the quote this time. The shorter man hardly fit the description of a brute squad but Rowan had definitely learned not to judge a book by its cover. Whether Christian was simply completing the quote or had the clout to back up his claim, Rowan wasn't going to make a judgment call. It was amusing either way.

He was momentarily surprised by the suddenness of Christian's smile. It was quick but seemed genuine, a flash of white teeth and crinkling blue eyes. Rowan's lips curved up in response, just slightly, at the gentle ribbing. He could certainly get as good as he gave and he didn't mind being the butt of a joke or five.

Rowan returned Pakpao's somewhat shyer smile as well although it was hard to believe, as she had recently dropped a book on his head. Either way she seemed uncomfortable suddenly and he didn't know why. Well... probably not anything either of them had done, since they'd been standing here chatting for several long minutes now.

He listened to Pakpao's criticism of the zombie book and nodded.
"It's a parody," he explained further to Christian. "Alternate universe or something."

He showed Christian the parody, turning the original over to read the synopsis on the back once more.
"The original is a favorite of mine; I'm curious about the parody."

Glancing up at Pakpao Rowan added,
"I don't know about improvements. But it's certainly going to be unique."