One, Two, Three Little Boxes (Attn: Alexander)

She'd been working for Alexander for a while now, a month or so, and had been actually enjoying herself. It was nice to know he was right upstairs so she never felt totally alone and didn't worry about things getting out of hand. Marie was even doing better dealing with the male customers, although she didn't ever respond to their flirting no matter how mild.

Tonight she'd happily agreed to come in and help with some inventory. She didn't really need the money, she honestly wanted to help Alexander out. He was very nice, she didn't even mind being alone with him. Just finishing up a count of carbines Marie heard Alexander coming down stairs, from the sounds of it with his boyfriend.

She did her best to keep her eyes down and pretend not to notice but she was a little curious, she always was when seeing them together, which wasn't often. She knew Eiryk was upstairs with Alexander most days but Marie never ever saw him. She was starting to wonder about him, but never said anything and even tonight just kept working. Objectively Marie could say both were good looking men, and those were the kind that were hardest to trust. But they were totally into each other and that let her relax a little bit, even around Eiryk.

Without really watching she saw Eiryk kiss Alexander and leave.

Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex had closed up shop after Marie had arrived. Once he'd done so he had excused himself and run upstairs to wake Eiryk. He'd been gone a little longer then he'd planned but he knew Marie was all right on her own for a little bit. Heading back downstairs with Eiryk in tow he kissed his boyfriend back gently and headed into the shop while Eiryk left, promising to be back soon.

"Thanks again for helping out," Alex told Marie as he went back into the store a little sheepishly... he'd said five minutes. Not half an hour. It wasn't his fault if Eiryk was all adorable when he was groggy and grouchy first thing in the evening.

It would have taken him all night and into the next day to inventory everything by himself. With Marie's help it might take just a few hours; Eiryk had promised to help some too and that would cut it down even more. If he didn't drop anything or knock anything over.

Alex was more than glad for their assistance though. He'd been happy to hire Marie and grateful that she was looking for hours that fit what he was offering; he hadn't expected that after a few weeks he'd start to consider her a friend, but she was certainly becoming one.
Marie 13 years ago
"It is not problem at all. I'm glad I can, it would be a lot of work for you."

That was the truth too she would have felt bad leaving him to all this on his own. Alexander worked far too hard. She understood why, he did own the building and the business there was simply a lot to do. She smiled faintly at his almost embarrassed demeanor. Ysabel, however, had taught her good manners and she didn't any anything or even really look like she'd noticed.

Besides, Marie didn't see anything wrong with taking more than the promised five minutes. Ysabel and Ambrose had a tenancy to disappear too.

They worked silently for a little bit before Marie summoned up some courage. She did consider him a friend, but some of her shyness lingered.

"Eiryk worked nights?"
"It would be. I'm used to it but it's nice to have help."

Alex didn't mind Marie's following silence; he himself wasn't exactly chatty on a regular basis. It was an awkward, uncomfortable silence either. More companionable than anything else.

When she asked about Eiryk Alex looked up, slightly surprised.
"Yeah. He's not much of a morning person," he said with a soft smile. "Took some getting used to but you know... when you run your own business you get to set your own hours."

He delivered it with a little irony; Alex was a slave to his own store in a way Eiryk didn't need to be. Marie had been Alex's one concession, obviously.
Marie 13 years ago
Marie refrained from questioning who needed a decorator in the middle of the night, because, well she knew. Not that Ysabel needed a decorator, although she and Eiryk had exchanged a few notes and ideas during their ride. She'd tried hard not to laugh at Ambrose's grumbling. Marie suspected the only reason the grouchy vampire didn't snap is he knew Eiryk simply wasn't interested in Ysabel and he had no reason to be jealous.

She smiled at Alexander's answer still impressed he owned his own business. He wasn't that much older than she was really and he had an idea and made it happen. She didn't even know what she wanted to be, vampire was not a career choice.

"I'd say 'not much of a morning person' is an understatement. So that must help a lot considering his odd hours."

Granted she didn't see much of Eiryk, but there were very few reasons for them to go riding and hiking in the dark and for Alexander to need help in the morning rather than the evening. She considered asking point blank if Alexander were Eiryk's familiar but that was far too forward.

"Have you been enjoying the night life?"

That was as close as she could come. Marie hoped Ysabel would be proud of her, she was trying to hint and delicately gather information. She was trying to be like her vampire, although some days she doubted she'd ever get it right.
Alex laughed at Marie's frankness. "Okay... yeah. It's an understatement," he admitted. "Eiryk is who he is though. He's made enough concessions for me. Conforming to his schedule was a small enough favor."

He sat on the floor near Marie and patiently counted caribbeaners, the bane of his existence, while they chatted companionably.

"Night life?" He asked. He looked at her and shrugged. "It's all right. I mean, it wasn't really my thing before." Before Eiryk, he meant, but he was sure Marie would understand that since they'd just been discussing it.

"I don't like bars or clubs very much. I'm kind of a homebody really. So, the night life is okay but just because I get to spend it with him."

Alex smiled at the young woman, clearly sincere in his reasons. Night life appealed to him greatly - because Eiryk was with him. And it was generally obvious, especially since their Christmas vacation, that Alexander loved his boyfriend a great deal.

"What about you? You must be a night person too, at least a little. Most people I know hated taking night classes at school but you seem to have a lot of them."
Marie 13 years ago
Marie actually wondered what Eiryk had done for Alexander, she'd never ask though. The whole schedule thing was, well the reasons for it, were obvious. At least they were to Marie so she didn't say anything. Although she was a little frustrated Alexander hadn't followed her. Or maybe he had and was protecting Eiryk.

In fact, that was probably it. She could respect that.

"Well then you are probably good for each other."

She half giggled but blushed a little at being so forward. But if any one knew about odd couples it was Marie. She still didn't quite get Ambrose and Ysabel but they were certainly happy so she'd stopped trying to figure it out.

Having decided that Alex was just being a good boyfriend a she also decided that maybe she had to open up first. She couldn't ask for Eiryk bit him, or if he was a familiar so how could she do that. Well she couldn't do it while looking at Alex. Marie cleared her throat and looked intently at her work.

"Ummmm... it fits my schedule. I mean, people I know keep those hours it is nice to be around for them."
Alexander smiled at Marie. "He's definitely good for me. I try to be good for him too. That's what love's all about right?"

It was odd, talking about his relationship with Eiryk to Marie. It wouldn't be the first time someone had been interested though. Being gay was an fascinating anomaly to some people, who often thought that somehow two guys would have a different relationship than a guy and a girl. He didn't get a creepy 'what's up' vibe from Marie however. Her interest was more of the politely interested variety. That, and Alex got the impression she was somehow slightly nervous around Eiryk.

"Oh yeah? Your folks are night people too? It seems to run in this city. But then, you know, that's the reputation it has so of course it attracts more of the same."

Alex wasn't sure what Marie was implying but he wasn't about to make any statement that set Eiryk apart from anyone else in Nachton. As far as he was concerned Eiryk was exactly like every other resident. A night person. There were tons of them in Nachton, all just as normal.
Marie 13 years ago
"Yeah, it is."

She agreed with a very quiet smile.

It had been several years but the memory of her parents was still strong. Her parents, her siblings, Marie still didn't understand why she hadn't been in the car with them. It didn't hurt as much as it had, but she'd probably never quite get over it. Having Ysabel made it easier though.

"My parents are dead." She said flatly. "Car accident when I was fourteen, my brother and sister too. I... ummmm... moved here after that."

That was the best explanation she could give about why she was here. Maybe it was because he'd brought up her folks but Marie felt a little more... forward. Delicacy went out the window. Maybe that was Ambrose's influence though, but if she wanted a straight answer maybe she had to ask a straight answer.

"I guess... I mean... are you his familiar too?"

She blushed furiously after asking that question.
Alex raised his eyebrows when Marie told him about her family. His face softened when she finished and he closed his eyes briefly in sympathy.

"Oh, Marie. I didn't know. I'm sorry."

She was young to lose her whole family... fourteen. Alex couldn't imagine. he might not have parents in the traditional sense of the word but at least they were still alive and would be for many years to come.

"So... Ysabel is a relative of yours then?"

He couldn't imagine why else a fourteen year old girl would move to Nachton. He looked up again at Marie's next question.

"I'm what?" He didn't understand her. He probably misheard her. "Uh, familiar? Yeah. We're familiar."

It seemed like a quaint way to ask about their relationship. Is that was she was asking about? It seemed awfully forward for Marie.
Marie 13 years ago
"It's OK. I don't tell a lot of people it was along time ago."

Marie said with a shrug, she still appreciated his sympathy even if it was hard to acknowledge it.

She liked her lips nervously when he asked about Ysabel though. She just didn't quite know how to answer that. It wasn't ... well eventually she would have to say, but she wasn't ready just yet.

"Sort of... more like a foster parent I guess you'd say."

Now she was confused. She was -certain- that Eiryk was a vampire. Everything she'd seen and the little bit she'd talked to him when they went riding convinced her of that. How, could Alexander not know what a familiar was? Or was he still protecting Eiryk?

Hesitantly, she ventured on knowing she was gambling a little.

"I... guess... I mean isn't Eiryk a vampire?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
He'd gotten a few minor errands done and then had picked up dinner for the workers. The girl was a little shy, but she was warming up, to Alex at least and after some prodding and suggested Mexican. Fortunately, that was a bit of a staple food (along with Thai for some reason) among his designers so Eiryk knew a great place.

Coming back with two bags full of hot fragrant food he just barley caught that last question. It didn't surprise him either. And knowing that Ysabel was one and suspecting Ambrose Eiryk saw absolutely no reason not to answer honestly.

"Have been for a while now."

He said with an easy grin. He then set the food down, fell into a display, hopped it had been counted already, and started setting food out.

"Now, eat up while it is hot."

He moved over to slip a hand around Alex's waist. He didn't kiss his boyfriend, he was a little reserved around Marie... most of the time. But he wouldn't say no if Alex kissed him.
Alex stared at Marie for a moment, his mind completely blank. Prevarication was not his forte. He had no idea how to answer Marie when her question was so blunt. Fortunately he was saved from having to do so by Eiryk's timely arrival with their dinner. He stared at Eiryk, too, but instead of floundering around he simply leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek.

He looked back and forth between them both while he emptied the contents of the bags carefully onto the front counter.

"How come I get the feeling I'm three chapters behind?"

He arched his eyebrows at Eiryk. Eiryk who, thus far, had been responsible for his entire vampire education. So how did Marie know what Eiryk was? And what the hell was a familiar?
Marie 13 years ago
Marie winced as Eiryk hit one of the displays. She just hadn't gotten used to that. His lack of coordination was the one thing that had almost changed her mind about him. Even Ambrose with one leg wasn't this clumsy.

She blushed a little at Eiryk's answer, she hadn't expected him to walk in the door right then. But even knowing he was a vampire Marie wasn't afraid of Eiryk, she just started to help set the food out while wondering if it would be rude to ask how old he was.

"Thank you for dinner."

Funny, she wasn't at all worried about sitting here with two meant, one of which was a vampire. If fact, Marie only barley registered them on the 'danger' meter she judged men by. Instead she felt a little worried for Alex if he didn't know what was going on.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk tucked Alex up against him for a second before gesturing that he should get some food, keep up his strength and all that. Certainly he was perplexed that Marie knew about him and that he would answer so bluntly.

"Oh I don't think you're behind, it is more like Marie is reading ahead. She lives with a vampire... or two?"

He questioned Ambrose a little, not one hundred percent sure about the man. But Marie nodded and he turned his attention back to Alex.

"What brought this topic up?"
Alex gestured to Marie to dig in. He wasn't about to stand on ceremony here. "Thanks for the delivery," he said to Eiryk, echoing Marie's sentiments as he took a paper plate and loaded it up with a couple of spinach enchiladas. Hitching himself up onto the counter top he cut the soft wrap with his fork and tasted it, nodding his approval.

He raised his eyebrows at Marie, waiting to see her reaction to Eiryk's question. Alexander had thought Ysabel's mannerisms and dress habits unique but he hadn't realized she, too, was a vampire. Ambrose, too?

"But... Ambrose has one leg?"

That was confusing. How did part of a person turn into part of a vampire? Eiryk said he could pretty much regrow anything that didn't kill him outright... a very lucky fact for him, considering the number of spills he took on a weekly basis.
Marie 13 years ago
For all that she was a little thing Marie had an appetite she found a taco or two and an burrito and sat on the floor leaning up against the counter. It didn't bother her having the two men looking over her.

Her first bite was a little bit too big and she could only chew and nod at Alexander. She finally swallowed.

"He doesn't like to talk about it, but he ... lost it before he became a vampire."

Marie didn't know the whole story, he'd never told her and she didn't ask. It seemed odd to her that some one would make a vampire with one leg. She just didn't understand it, but it hadn't been her decision either.

She looked at her plate and blushed a little bit and muttered a bit.

"I wondered if Alex was your familiar."

She'd never met another familiar before and was curious. She didn't know if things worked the same for everyone or not.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He was the only one who didn't bother with any food. Maybe in a little bit, but as Alex and Marie needed the food he'd wait until he was satisfied they had eaten their fill. It amused him to watched Marie cruel up on the floor, she looked even younger than Alex said she was.

He leaned up against the counter next to Alex occasionally pilfering a bite off the man's plate. It was good to see him ask questions and he was equally pleased to have them answered by some one else.

Her reason for asking though made him choke on the enchilada. That was something he had... No that was a big no no.

"Hardly. He's my boyfriend, that's all."
Alex nodded as if he had known all along that people with missing pieces became vampires with missing pieces. He slid a glance over to Eiryk, his gaze clearly conveying the fact that they needed to talk. Desperately. Obviously Eiryk hadn't let him in on everything he needed to know, and Alex could have sworn that they had promised no secrets.

"So Marie, you're... Ysabel's familiar?"

He turned back to Eiryk, clapping him on the back when he coughed.
"And what do you mean, 'that's all?'" He arched his brows at his boyfriend.

He gave Eiryk a few good hearty thumps between the shoulder blades just to be on the safe side. He was pretty sure vampires couldn't choke but aspirating an enchilada couldn't be all that comfortable.
Marie 13 years ago
Marie nodded, glad he recognized that she was Ysabel's not Ambrose's. Not that she didn't like Ambrose, even love him in a way, but she was Ysabel's. She was surprised by Eiryk's reaction and didn't know what to make of it. Maybe he was too young to have one or maybe he didn't approve of them. Her stomach tightened a bit and she forced a bite of taco down feeling a little guilty.

She giggled a little bit as Eiryk and Alexander played almost. Apparently that phrasing wasn't what Alexander had expected. She didn't elaborate on what a familiar was though, she figured that he would know. For some reason though, as much as she had wanted to meet another familiar, she was glad Alexander wasn't one.
Eiryk 13 years ago
That was fairly astute of Alex, at least Eiryk thought so. He might not know exactly what a familiar was but he could put enough together to know Marie belonged to Ysabel. As Alex bounded at him between his shoulders he swallowed and got his coughing under control.

Catching Alex's questioning look Eiryk nodded. It was hard to tell some one -everything- about vampires. He should have covered the familiar thing, even if he had rejected the idea of making Alex his... well his in that respect. Oh he'd considered it knowing it would extend Alex some of the clan's protection, but he wanted Alex to be Alex and to stay with him because he wanted to, because they loved each other.

Oblivious to Marie's presence he kissed Alex right on the lips.

"OK I phrased that badly what I meant to say was you are my boy friend, I love you, and you are not my familiar. Better?"