Dear friends who like words (help!)

Next month I'm getting married and next week we meet at the church to go over the ceremony logistics and stuff. I want to have some kind of poem/reading at the ceremony about love. When I google great love poems I always pull up garbage.

Do any of you great readers and writers have any suggestions for what books or places to look? I am pretty sure in some movie, maybe it was sex in the city maybe something completely different, there was a book filled with love stories/poems and at the time I loved it. Of course now I cant remember the movie OR the books name. Anyone recognize wth I'm talking about?

We are going to write our own vows as well and I'm a hot mess with that because I just end up crying because I get all emotional over it lol. Oh the joys!!! =D

Therese 13 years ago
Congrats and such!

unfortunatly i have nothing to offer poetry wise. i always slept through those unites
Greer Grayson 13 years ago
I don't know about books and movies on love. Sadly the last thing I watched like that was a while ago. Sappy love stories are depressing when you're single.

That said though.

Congratulations!

How long ago did you watch this movie? Do you remember if you saw it in the theater or on DVD? If we can narrow that down then maybe we can figure out which one it was.
Aishe 13 years ago
Congrats! I'm in the same boat with the lovey stuff. We wrote our own ceremony and vows and such, but we made it all up ourselves.
Artemis Bellezone 13 years ago
Congrats! I had a teacher that loved poetry so we spent an entire month on it. I have always liked Byron's 'She walks in beauty'. I am not a fan of Percy Shelley, but 'Love's Philosophy' isn't horrible. There is also 'Wonderous Moment' by Alexander Pushkin.

Another option is Shakespeare. He wrote several love sonnets. Granted, he wrote them to his mistress, so I am not sure how you feel about that.

I hope this helps. Again, congrats.
Diane 13 years ago
Thanks everyone!

Im pretty sure the movie was sex in the city cuz I saw it way long ago in a theater. But Ive heard her book isnt real? So confusing they had to know chick would want that book. Maybe thats where my disconnect is with the whole movie/book thing.

Aishe you wrote your ceremony as well! I couldnt even imagine attempting that. Thast amazing! I think the vow part wont be too bad if I can get myself to quit crying so much so people will be able to hear me lol! I was literally crying like my dog had died last night while I was listening to Paper Tongues "Love like This".

Im going to check out those poems/sonnets for sure so thank you! I went to the Borders Express by my house and they told me they don't stock poem books there anymore.....really? I'll have to venture to the Barnes & Noble next or the library.
Marie 13 years ago
Library is your best bet... what with Boarders declaring bankrupcy and all
Octavia Emiliano 13 years ago
The lack of realness does put a damper on trying to find the poems from the movie. However you might be able to find them written somewhere online if you're sure it was Sex and the City. I never watched the show so I can't confirm or deny your guess but I'd suspect other people would have wanted to see the poems as well and so someone would have put them online.

Is this it? Its from Episode 19 "The Chicken Dance" (No really I didn't make that up)

Carrie's Poem
His hello was the end of her endings
Her laugh was their first step down the aisle
His hand would be hers to hold forever
His forever was as simple as her smile

He said she was what was missing
She said instantly she knew
She was a question to be answered
And his answer was "I do"

And according to a google search the poem read in the movie is by Beethoven.

Part of it is

Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together -
Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell.
Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

It is a series of letters written by Beethoven. Immortal Beloved. You can find them all here
Panos Mehalitsenos 13 years ago
bad ass. Go figure Beethoven was rocking the love letters. I'm pretty sure thats what I was looking for!

Thank you!
Panos Mehalitsenos 13 years ago
Best part is there is a groupon ad right above the description of letters and it's a picture of 3 cheeseburgers.
I have no idea why but I find that hilarious