Grand Slam

Alex and Eiryk entered the two-story facility on Nachton's strip that was one of the largest, best-equipped gyms in the city. Alex had to admit it was impressive. On the second floor were areas for weightlifting, cardio, stationary cycling, and all sorts of classes. There was a basement level with two pools and two hot tubs. The first floor was home to an indoor rock wall, several gyms for team sports and, out back, four tennis courts. Each level had locker rooms and down in the basement there were two saunas, one each for men and women.

In spite of Alex's protests Eiryk had purchased two year-long memberships; all Alex had done was mention he'd played tennis in college and suddenly Eiryk was off to the races, buying balls, rackets, appropriate workout clothing, an instructional book and video (really?), carrying cases, water bottles, and anything else that might be remotely useful. He should have seen that coming; Eiryk did have a tendency to go a little bit overboard.

All the same though it would be a lot of fun to play. And who was he kidding? Eiryk looked awfully cute in workout clothes. It was still cool out so they were both wearing sweatpants. Eiryk, as was typical, had shopped until he'd found something that both looked good and that Alex approved as weather and sport appropriate. Alex, for his part, already owned what he needed... but he'd had fun sneaking into the dressing room with Eiryk.

They flashed their membership cards at the front desk on the way through the building and emerged onto the courts in the back. Fortunately they were empty, which allowed them to grab the one single, isolated court at the back rather than one of the other three that shared space... Alex foretold disaster for any other late-night players if they were forced into the same space.

He spent a few minutes warming up, indicating to Eiryk to do the same even though the courts were deserted.
"Come on, look normal," he encouraged with a grin.

Then, just to be a smart-ass, he curled himself into a back bend, carefully placed his hands to steady himself, and lifted his feet from the ground to rest them on the back of his head.

Eiryk 13 years ago
"It is hard to look normal when I am naturally stunning."

Eiryk retorted but at Alex's prodding tried to do some stretching and warming up. Mostly he just copied Alex though, well copied and stared. He was just so hot how could you not. As he ogled Eiryk eyed the court suspiciously. Sure he'd read the book and watched the videos and even some old Wimbledon highlights but he just couldn't understand how this was tennis. It didn't look anything like what he was used to, there were no walls for starters, and the scoring was quite different.

"When did this game change? And what was wrong with the old way?"

Of course he was all for trying something new, but why didn't they just call it something new instead of changing it? Maybe he wasn't upset about that though, it could just be Eiryk didn't think sweats showed off Alex's legs well enough and he would have been happier with some breeches or even hose. Mmmmm... Alex legs.... and any though of leg went right out of Eiryk's head when Alex did that back bend thing. He might have drooled just a little. He did stop what he was doing and just stared, unabashedly lustful.

"A) if I tried that I would probably kill myself, you and half the people in the gym and B) if you keep that up we are -never- going to play this game."

They did have a year long membership though, they could waste one night in fun and exciting foreplay. And if the management tried to kick them out or ban them, well Eiryk would just buy the place.
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex didn't answer any of Eiryk's questions immediately. Some of them were rhetorical and the rest, well, he was twisted up and not in a good position to try and explain the evolution of tennis. Besides, he didn't know it.

"You're the one who was around to witness it," he said softly, in spite of the empty court. "You tell me when the scoring changed."

Gradually he was becoming used to Eiryk's having lived a ridiculously long time. If nothing else, he was continually surprised that Eiryk had survived that long without killing himself.

Carefully he lifted his feet, extended them, lowered his head to his chest and went back into a normal back bend. Walking his feet out in front of him he pressed down with his hands, swung his legs up into a pike, and then crossed them into a lotus while keeping himself off the ground on the palms of his hands. Lowering himself once again he stood and shook himself out, grabbed three tennis balls, and stuck them in his pocket.

"Oh we'll play," he said to Eiryk, leaning over to kiss his boyfriend soundly before turning and heading to the opposite end of the court. "Now and later. Don't pull anything important."

He tossed that last over his shoulder with a grin as he jogged away.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Some time after the last time I played the game. I was an explorer not a sports historian."

He said with as much snob as he could manage, as if documenting the evolution of a game was beneath him. He could think of something, some one, he'd rather have beneath him. And the way Alex was going Eiryk simply could not shake his libido tonight. They were -so- going to have to put that flexibility to good use.

"I thought we were supposed to look normal."

Eiryk just barley managed to croak out before being kissed. He was distracted enough by the yoga show that he was a totally passive participant in said kiss. Slightly stunned he watched Alex run to the other side of the court.

"You are welcome to pull anything of mine you want."

He tossed a ball to Alex once he was on the far side of the net. Serving seemed dangerous, Eiryk was looking to put that off as long as possible.

"You start. Should we stake something on this game?"

Something fun...
"Explorer? Is that what you're calling it now? I guess that sounded better than 'professional pillager?'"

Alex rolled his eyes at Eiryk's mild complaint and subsequent flirtation. He bounced the tennis ball in his hand a few times, tossed it p, and then let it hit the ground without serving it as Eiryk's wager hit his ears.

Catching the ball Alex spread his arms wide in disbelief.
"Really? Did you really just say stake?"

There were a multitude of words Eiyk could have chosen that wouldn't evoke unpleasant nightmares for Alex. That wasn't one of them. Shaking his head he smiled.
"Okay. What kind of bet?"

He could only hope his natural athleticism and experience would counteract Eiryk's massive speed and strength. If not, there was no way he could win. Then again, depending on the stakes it might just be more fun to lose.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk rolled his eyes back at Alex and muttered something about cliches and having a few hundred years after the viking thing to explore without pillaging.

Preparing to return Alex's serve Eiryk stumbled and bobbled badly ask Alex asked after the steaks. He grinned.

"I like a nice medium rib eye actually."

More cliches, wasn't life grand?

"Hmmm... it is too cold out for strip tennis. Breakfast in bed?"

He tried very hard not to laugh or waggle his eyebrows at that suggestion. They kept different hours and even when he got Alex all night Eiryk himself just was not up for breakfast. Unless of course Alex would let him have a nibble. But his cooking skills were terrible so if Alex won he'd lose. Alex could counter offer if he'd like.
"I would have thought rare," Alex shot off across the net. He continued to bounce the tennis ball, considering Eiryk's bet.

Fortunately Alex wasn't horribly competitive. Sure he liked to win if he intended to compete but this was all in fun... and Eiryk's offer was hardly appealing if he considered that he might actually have to eat said breakfast if he won. He shrugged and grinned.

"All right. If I win, you cook me breakfast in bed. If you win, I... cook."

He offered his boyfriend a sweet, innocent, playful smile. He would definitely cook for Eiryk. It might torment him a little but Alex was more than happy to tease a little. He knew what Eiryk would prefer but Eiryk wouldn't take if it weren't offered.

"Ready?"

At Eiryk's nod Alex prepared to serve. He had already decided not to hold anything back; he didn't think he could if they were to make this a real contest. Eiryk would no doubt have his share of, hmm, unforced errors, but Alex couldn't count on those to net him a win. So he threw the ball up, bent back a bit as he raised his arm, and sent the ball blazing onto Eiryk's side of the court where it landed perfectly on the back outside corner of the service box.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Do I look like a wild animal to you?"

Eiryk countered cheerfully. He'd actually started eating less now that Alex knew what he was, there just wasn't the need. He thought through Alex's plan. And wasn't sure this was such a good idea after all. He couldn't cook, they had established this.

"What if I just have something nice delivered? Bagel and lox. Every one like lox?"

Eiryk was fairly certain he could kill Alex if he wasn't careful about this cooking thing and Alex got off pretty easy if they were talking actual nutrients. But he was still very careful not to bite with out explicit permission and not too terribly often even if it was.

But the game started. Eiryk had no trouble reaching the ball in time, he even hit it back with some accuracy, right back up the line as far from Alex as he could get. After that though... well he had trouble stopping. He didn't fall though! Of course, the fence might have had something to do with that.

Still he bounced back and tried to find the return.
"Actually yes," Alex countered shamelessly. "Every evening when you wake up, and sometimes right before bed."

He simply shrugged at Eiryk's idea... Alex was mostly unconcerned about the bet itself, really. Eiryk could hand him bread and water and he'd smile.

He smiled as Eiryk made a nice return and winced slightly as he also went careening past toward the fence. Alex wasn't playing Mr. Nice Guy though. He'd seen how fast Eiryk could move.

Reaching the ball easily he angled himself and hit a nice cross-court shot into the far corner. Any other opponent would never have seen it coming but Eiryk recovered with truly inhuman speed and nearly reached it in time.

Nearly.

"15-love," Alex said with a little grin as he pulled out another tennis ball and moved to the opposite side of the court to serve again.

Clearly he was going to have to play smart against Eiryk. He quickly settled on a tactic that basically proved to keep his boyfriend turning back and forth as often as possible. More footwork for Eiryk meant more points for Alex.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I swear the French invented this sport."

He'd never really appreciated the scoring right up until that moment and it made him smile as he waited for Alex to serve again.

"Come one love, let's see if we can get tied up... er tie the game up."

Eiryk leered and Alex obliged with a serve. They went back and forth. He tried to keep up and he didn't get blown out of the water, but Alex did win handily. Eiryk was just pleased he didn't fall and rip his pants. They were new after all. That was more impressive than it sounded considering the number of times Alex was making him run across the court.

"OK that was... just... a warm up. Let's try this again."

In contrast to Alex's strong serves Eiryk just barley lobed his over the net forcing Alex to run up to the net. Hey if Alex could make him run left and right Eiryk could make him run back and forth.
Alex might have felt guilty about playing snarky, except that his boyfriend wasn't even really out of breath. How did you win against someone who would never, ever tire out before you did?

You hammered into their weakness, that's how!

Eiryk lobbed a serve over the net to Alex, which Alex grimaced at. He could have told Eiryk that was a big mistake. Instead of hitting it cross-court Alex did something even more underhanded and slammed the ball hard and fast toward Eiryk's left foot. Running to get to a ball was easy. Trying to position yourself to return a 100-mph fastball aimed for your foot was a bitch even if you were quick and graceful.

Sadly for Eiryk, 50% did not cut it.

"Sorry! Sorry," Alex said as he watched the result of his handiwork. Maybe they shouldn't play this game... maybe a team sport would be best. That way he could watch out for Eiryk instead of exploiting his weakness. He didn't feel very lover-like. How was he supposed to play anything competitively with Eiryk as a vampire though?
Eiryk 13 years ago
Oh holy... Eiryk half jumped back and all the way fell back, first he fell on his ass and then flat on his back. He stared up at the sky and muttered. That was low. Oh he approved, but it was low. He wondered how long he'd have to lay here like this before Alex felt sorry for him and came to make sure he was OK

But he just couldn't let it go, couldn't give up. His people after all had invented the berzerker. He could apply that to a tennis game. OK so he wasn't going all berzerker, he just jumped back to his feet and looked determined. He eyed his lover suspiciously.

"Uhuh... riiiiiiiight... sorry. We can discuss that later."

Despite his growling menacing tone his eyes still sparkled and he grinned before finding the ball and setting up to serve again and this wouldn't be any lob either. This one he intended to go as close to Alex as legal and as fast and hard as he could manage.
Alex was reassured by the fact that Eiryk immediately hopped back up to his feet. He didn't miss that quick grin, that playfulness, and he was relieved. Crouching near the baseline, Alex carefully watched Eiryk. His serve was neatly aimed and almost impossibly fast. Alex barely saw it as it blazed by.

"I think that was in," he laughed. "Nice ace."

Eiryk's next serve was just as evil, just as well-placed, and just as impossible to connect with. Alex shook his head as it went by, amused by the velocity. Eiryk was on a hot streak.

It was sporadic, though it was enough to win him the first game. The trouble came on Alex's serve, which was powerful in its own right and needed to be returned. Eiryk's returns needed work. Alex took the second game, and then managed to get to a few of Eiryk's serves to win the third. The fourth was his as well, although Eiryk came back in the fifth to make it 3-2.

"Come on," Alex encouraged. "Tie it up. I know you want to."

He offered Eirk a grin of his own.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk had a few friends in Anantya yet and they would all be laughing their asses off at him that or being extremely embarrassed. He was losing. Not -too- badly just enough to be extremely obvious. He really did have to work on his returns. Even when he could get the first one, too often he couldn't recover fast enough or well enough to get a second one.

At least it was his serve again. That seemed to be where he could manage to get a few points. Although, Alex was starting to anticipate him better.

"You know I can think of other ways to get hot and sweaty did you want to try one of those? Or football? Don't you tackle people in football?"

But he went ahead and served again. It seemed that Alex had been moving a bit stiff on his right side so Eiryk opted to exploit that weakness just a bit.
Alex laughed at Eiryk's ideas. He nodded as he jogged into place. "Sure. In both kinds of football you can tackle. But we can probably do better than that."

He did notice Eiryk was hitting heavily on his right side, to the leg that had been sore recently. It wasn't bothering him tonight however, or at least not at the moment. He was learning to anticipate Eiryk's ridiculously fast serves, and because of that he took the first set, 6-3.

They swapped court sides for the second set and while they did so Alex reached out and snagged and arm around Eiryk's waist, pulling him close for a quick hug and a kiss.
"You're such a good sport," he said with a smile before they headed off to their respective sides.

It was true; Alex was exploiting Eiryk's weakness (granted, that went both ways) and still Eiryk seemed to be having fun. Alex felt somewhat less guilty about it knowing Eiryk was attempting to do the same.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Damned it. He wasn't even looking convincing. Maybe if he had a touch of telekinesis he'd do better. Eiryk made a mental note to try and develop that skill as he got older.

Alex was hot and sweaty and Eiryk approved as he enjoyed the brief little hug. He always had fun being with Alex no matter what they did but this was especially entertaining. It was fun to play with him, to watch Alex kick his ass

He grinned.

"I am not, I am just a horrible cheat. There is a difference."

Eiryk quipped.

"I plan to beat you at some point and if I fail to do so here...I will find something else..."
"You beat me at plenty of things," Alex said with a laugh. "Old age, number of jobs fired from, I'm sure there are plenty more."

His confidence, however, was shaken when halfway during the second set his knee started to twinge. It was surely a tendon strain or some sort of sprain, he thought. It wouldn't have been the first time. He was pretty active and had suffered minor injuries before. He tried taking it easy on his right leg and was rewarded with far more losses than the previous set. Without full use of his legs Eiryk was far far faster and stronger than he, even with his stumbles.

The second set went to Eiryk, 6-4. This time Alex was clearly limping as he approached the net although he did try to mask it some.

"Last set maybe," he said reluctantly. Normally men's matches went best of five but Alex didn't think it would be wise. He met Eiryk at the net and didn't hesitate to lean on him a little bit. He wasn't sure what the malfunction was in his right knee but clearly he needed to ice it a little bit tonight.
Eiryk 13 years ago
There was a bit of guilt as Alex's leg obviously started giving him some trouble. With Alex actually limping and leaning Eiryk was highly tempted to go all mother hen on his boyfriend and hover and fuss and call the game off. He did not, however, think Alex would appreciate it. It was hard though, he wanted to just pick Alex up and carry him to the car.

"We can do one more if you want."

He sort of hedged letting Alex know he didn't mind not finishing. But Alex, being Alex, wanted to play one more. The switched sides and even with his leg bothering him, he was winning. Eiryk had stopped strongly favoring Alex's right side, ok so he was still hitting them that way just not nearly so frequently. He started trying to finesse the ball rather than flat out over power Alex and while they got a decent volley or two going that way, he was still down two games to none.

"Is there any way to get out of this with some kind of pride and dignity?"
Eiryk had stopped hammering tennis balls to Alex's right, which was good, because Alex didn't have the focus at the moment to continue tripping Eiryk up. He was too busy playing through whatever was bugging his knee. It wasn't horrible but it was a nuisance.

"What are you talking about? You're playing wonderfully," he said as Eiryk won the next two games to tie everything up.

The third set of their match went to a 6-6 tie, forcing them into a tiebreaker. By that point Alex was more than willing to call it a night, and they both actually looked like they were playing a normal tennis game. Even Eiryk, perhaps distracted by worry for Alex, was tripping far less often, loping easily back and forth to return Alex's hits.

The tiebreaker went to ten points, when Alex finally won two in a row to end the game and take the set and the match. There wasn't much question of playing the traditional five sets. They'd have to call it good at three.

Regardless of the pain in his knee, Alex was smiling when he and Eiryk finally met back at the bench that held their things.

"That was not a bad match," he said. Especially when they'd worn themselves down a little bit and settled into a few good volleys. Sure it hadn't happened until the end, but it had been enjoyable.

He let Eiryk pick up their various things; the balls, the rackets. He probably shouldn't have played that third set but it was all in the name of fun! They had no plans for the rest of the night and Alex had the day off tomorrow; it was Saturday night after all. He'd already promised to spend the night at Eiryk's and the idea of that shower with the steam jets in it was appealing. Steam and ice, those would do the trick.

"Ready to get out of here?" Alex asked. "I'm looking forward to breakfast in bed tomorrow, you know."

He had won, after all!
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk had thought about throwing that last game just to get Alex off the court sooner but he did have his pride, as did Alex so he couldn't do that, not in good conscience. They played the tie breaker and Eiryk managed not to obsess over how Alex was moving and play with some concentration. Of course, Alex still beat him but at least it was an honest attempt.

When the game was over and they were back over at the bench he resisted the urge to ask about Alex's knee and to start making out or pull Alex into his lap. Although he was rather dying to do that, well all of them.

"It was fun. You can give me some pointers for next time."

It had been a surprisingly good time and he was looking forward to doing this again. Who knew one of his over the top adventures would pay off. To be fair they paid off about half the time maybe three quarters, he'd never kept statistics before.

"Yes, let's get the heck out of Dodge... you know you might have to stay in bed -all- day if you want breakfast. Just a thought."

Eiryk gave Alex a tiny little kiss, just a brush of the lips and packed everything up not letting Alex do anything. It would be over the top to carry Alex to the car. Slinging both bags over his shoulder he let Alex decide how much help he wanted or needed as they walked to the car.

"I need a shower."

He said with out even looking at Alex. There was very little doubt as to what he was thinking. Granted they'd take care of Alex's knee first but... after.

((OOC... both out.))