Welcome home

Alfarinn waited in the tower lobby for Miika's return. He had missed the kid, always did when Miika was gone. There was something very refreshing about seeing the world through his eyes for even just a short time. Most people would wonder why he had made such an erratic and fanciful child. Alfarinn would say that they obviously had never spent any time with him, just being with Miika and viewing things from the vantage point of beauty and wonder would have given them an answer.

Perhaps he was wrong in what he had done. Many said that Miika couldn't take care of himself and he knew the rumors were that he made him in order to have someone to care for. Miika was stronger than they realized though admittedly there were times it didn't appear so. In some ways, the kid helped keep him sane and whole more than the other way around. After visiting his studio, Alfarinn always walked away with a sense of peace and purpose, remembering who he was and why he played his role.

Alfarinn held up the antique brass and glass kaleidoscope he'd found at an auction. Looking through and watching the multi colored pieces of glass swirl about and ever changing patterns, He mused that he might have paid more than it was worth on the market but from the moment he saw it he knew it had to be bought. Miika would love it.

Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika made his up the steps, stopping only to admire the towers. It felt good to be home. Well, one of his homes anyway. He really shouldn't stay away for so long next time, no matter how entertaining Tampere was. All tiredness from his trip was gone in an instant, leaving him feeling rejuvenated and ready to start putting everything he had seen into practice.

The first thing he noticed when he entered the lobby happened to be the very first thing he had wanted to see.
"Rinn!"

He dropped the single bag he had been holding and rushed over to his creator, flinging himself down next to Alfarinn and not really caring if he was sitting on the other vamp or not. His arms found their way around Alfarinn's neck, hanging on to him tightly.

"Were you waiting for me? I have so much to tell you!" He purred happily, content just to cling like a child for the time being. -This- was home. Not the city, not the towers, just this. Nachton wasn't like Finland which sang to him in his dreams when he stayed away too long, but it had one very important thing to him, family.

"It's so good to be back. Did you miss me?"

(OOC: He's... friendly, huh? o_O *gets ready for a weird one*)
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"Terribly" Alfarinn held onto Miika and nuzzled his neck. No doubt they were a strange sight in the lobby but one that the residents should be used to by now.

"You must tell me all about your trip. Did you see anything lovely? and how are the children?" He loved to hear about the Laine family, it was something that was so far back in his past that he could not possibly remember what it felt like. Having kin that grew up, got married, had children, grew old... he had lost that a long time ago. Miika and Megan were the closest thing to family that he had.

Alfarinn carefully set the kaleidoscope aside so that it would not get broken nor distract the attention of his easily side tracked child. At least not until he'd heard about Miika's latest adventures.
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika relaxed again Alfarinn, the immediate need to squeeze the life out of him in joy starting to pass. "Oh, it was lovely. Iida had another baby, a little boy. The other children were a bit scared of me, its been so long since I visited. Suvi learned to ride a bike while I was there. Oh, and Toini is going to high school next year. They grow up so fast."

He trailed off, thinking how all the little children would soon grow up and turn to dust. That was possibly the only regret he had about being who he is now, he will always have to watch while those he cared about withered away and died. There was only one constant thing in his life. Miika shuddered and burrowed closer.

He tilted his head to look up at Alfarinn.
"Come with me next time. I've told them so much about you, they already consider you extended family. We can go in the winter and play in the snow."

One hand lifted to pet the silky blond hair. Yes, he could see his Rinn like that, pale body back dropped by even paler snow, long hair spreading like liquid around him, soft flakes falling down to rest on the curves of his cheek.

"I'd love to paint you like that, you know? In the snow."
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"Yes, they do."

He agreed with his own touch of sadness, knowing what it was like to watch the mortals wither around you. They had such a thirst for life though that many vampires lose over the years, except for Miika, and Alfarinn hoped that it would never happen.

He felt the shudder and squeezed Miika to him a little tighter, only loosening his hold when the red head leaned back to look at him.

"I would love to go. Snow is wonderful, there just isn't enough of it here and I'd love to meet all these family members of yours that you tell me about."

Alfarinn chuckled at the urge to do a painting, not surprised by it in the least. " I am hoping this one won't require my being naked..." He would not put it past Miika to think it was perfectly acceptable to ask someone to stand around without clothes in the snow for hours, all for the sake of art.
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika laughed at that. Naked would be best, but that really was too much to ask for, even if as vampires there were next to no chance of dying from exposure. There were still some sensitive areas that no man would like on ice. "Its all right, I'll let you keep your clothes on for that. We can do the nude later, perhaps when we get back to the house and there's a pretty fire to cast pretty shadows."

He considered that, picturing the scene and already figuring out the exact placements to get the optimum glow on bare skin. "We will have to rent our own place, though, lounging about naked might scare some of the little ones."

Shifting, he leaned over and impulsively pressed a kiss against Alfarinn's cheek before getting back on his feet. Miika held a hand out, smiling serenely. "What do you say we continue this conversation while I unpack? I'm dying to get out of my travel outfit." He scowled down at his suit, which actually made him look quite smart, if one discounted the shockingly unnatural hairdo he was sporting nowadays.

"I sent most of my baggage ahead, do you know if it has arrived yet?"
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn chuckled, somewhat relieved that Miika wasn't going to insist he be bare assed naked out on some patch of ice for whatever artistic reason that it would seem necessary. A warm fire would be much better and he could sit still for however long it would be required of him.

"Yes, I think our own place would be prudent." He considered his child for a moment, wondering how he stayed with his family for so long. Perhaps they thought his sleeping habits were simply a part of his eccentric style. It would be harder to explain two people who refused to be out in the sun.

He couldn't help but smile at the kiss on his cheek. It was very good to have Miika home again. Worry that he didn't know he'd been carrying was lifted from his shoulders.

"It has."

Alfarinn smiled and slowly pulled himself to his feet. He picked up the kaleidoscope and turned to follow Miika to his rooms.
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika picked his bag up en route and then led the way to his suite. Once inside, he stopped to take a look around, nose wrinkling in distaste. The place had been empty for far too long. While it was clean and there was no musty odour hanging around, it smelled so empty. He placed the bag down on an end table and went about lighting oil burners. He had never had the fear of fire that most vampires were supposed to have, but it had been established that when it came to judging whether things were harmful or not, he was useless. He had, however, agreed to have glass protectors installed around the burners in case of accidents.

The oils vaporized, filling the suite with various flower scents. Miika inhaled deeply, smiling at the fragrance of summer and sunlight. How he missed the sun. He glanced over at Alfarinn, smiling slowly. Perhaps sunlight hadn't been that big of a sacrifice to make. He couldn't imagine Rinn in the sun, soft moonlight just seemed more appropriate lighting for him.

"I had an art student while I was away. Majoring in digital art." He piped up, never one who was able to keep quiet for long while he wasn't working. "You should see what he was capable of. Its not as hands on as I like, but how can you not like an art form that has an undo function? Really, it was just beautiful."

He wandered off in the direction of the bedroom, pleased to see his luggage had indeed arrived. Opening the first suitcase, he found what he was looking for on the first try and started stripping, groaning softly in relief to get out of the warm fabric.

"I brought you a present," Miika continued, just naturally assuming Alfarinn would have followed. "It's around here... somewhere. I'll check in a sec."
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn followed Miika into the suite and watched him light the oil lamps. The glow was timeless and beautiful, not the harsh modern lighting that existed outside these rooms. He breathed in the comforting fragance enjoying the sensations that his child always insisted on. The room already started taking on more life than it had, but Alfarinn suspected that was as much because the owner was home and Miika tended to bring that special spark to everything around him.

"An art student? Now that doesn't surprise me." He smiled as walked into the bedroom after Miika. "The undo function sounds interesting but your art is so organic and with so much feeling I just can't see you ever stopping to say something was a mistake. It would slow you down, I think. Looking for perfection is painting with your head and not with your heart. Don't you agree?"

Alfarinn had to smile that the man decided the suit had to come off before he could do anything else. He looked down at the gift in his own hand, almost having forgotten he was still carrying it.

"I have one for you also."
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika turned to give Alfarinn a confused look before bursting out laughing. "In all the years you've known me, have you never seen the amount of canvasses I throw out because something went wrong? For instance, I'd be doing a serious portrait and I'd sneeze and the painting would end up with a blood moustache. Or someone would bang against the door and my landscape would get a black swipe over it. One can only explain those away as earth quakes so many times before people start worrying about you. Mind you, everyone thinks I'm crazy anyway, so I shouldn't be too worried. You are right, though, I never scrap a painting while in the process, its only the following day when I notice how crap it really is."

He paused long enough to pull a soft button down black shirt over his head, without actually bothering to unbutton first. Very old raggedy pair of jeans completed the outfit and his feet were left bare. Dressing up was just not something he did while at home. Especially not considering he might have to get to work later and then he will make a mess all over anyway.

Miika started going through one of the other suitcases. "Ooh, I attended one of the photography exhibitions before I left, one of those anatomy studies. Bought a few black and whites, but you can't have them, they are mine. Feel free to come over and look at them anytime you like, though. Aha!" A simple black box was held up triumphantly when he finally found what he had been looking for.

That done, he made his way back over to Alfarinn, grabbing him around the waist and beaming.
"You got me a present? What is it? Can I have it?"
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn laughed at the traumas of painting as Miika explained it. Not having such a talent himself, he had no idea what it was like to be so creative. His expression didn't have an outlet other than dancing these days. He was good with a sword and spear but unlike some that took joy in the art of killing, Alfarinn could not find it anything more than a horrible necessity whenever he was called upon to do it. He continued to practice with the weapons but being an empath made him very aware that he was killing a living being, always traumatic for him. What a gift for a hunter to have? He had known some empaths didn't mind killing. Though he found those tended to be crazy.

He wondered if Miika killed. His child was an empath as well but Alfarinn just couldn't imagine it. Such a soul, in touch with everything around him to cut a life short, snuff it out with ruthless finality. No, he didn't think it was possible for the man in front of him.

"These must be some good pictures. Anyone cute?" Alfarinn expected a glare for that, for not respecting the art but Miika had already gone on.

"Of course. Its a kaleidoscope that I found at an antiques auction." He handed over the brass and glass tube. " I hope you like it."
Miika Laine 18 years ago
"Oooh," Miika cooed, accepting the gift. His own present was forgotten for the moment while he gazed into the kaleidoscope, marvelling at all the pretty colors. Now that actually gave him a good idea for an art piece. He had already turned away when he realised what he was doing. Oi! Bad Miika, that while Alfarinn was still waiting for him.

He smiled sheepishly and placed the kaleidoscope carefully on the dresser, not wanting to accidentally drop it. The art could wait until later, this was more important.
"It's beautiful, I love it! Thank you. Oh, and here's yours." He thrust the box out to Alfarinn. "Its silly, I know, but it just reminded me of you."

He stood back then, watching the reaction. "It wasn't terribly expensive, but its handmade by this elderly couple I met. They let me watch for a while. You should have seen it, I wouldn't have believed gnarled old fingers could move that fast."

(OOC: Righto, inside would be a long haired arctic fox plushie. Which I am not pixeling! After the trouble with his av, this boy doesn't get to demand anything out of me for the next month.)
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Miika with the kaleidoscope, sensing that the gift was indeed enjoyed, he smiled. That the artist in front of him was carried away by it enough to almost wander off with it did not surprise him in the least. He was pleased that he found something Miika would enjoy.

He looked to his child and down at the box that was handed to him. Slowly, Alfarinn opened the lid and looked inside. He pulled the little stuffed animal out and perched him on one hand, holding him up for a moment to get a better look.

Then, Alfarinn cradled it to his chest ,much as one would a kitten, and smiled at Miika.

"He's perfect. Thank you. I believe I will have to name him, Vindr." Alfarinn smiled at Miika and went to sit on the bed, little fox still held against him.

"So what is the first thing you want to do now that you are back?"

((OOC: Awww, now don't be like that. Cute little fox... you know you want to pixel it...))
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika grinned, pleased that the gift was well received. Not that Alfarinn had ever showed that he hadn't liked a gift, but still, it took a big vamp to cuddle a cute little stuffed animal. Tsk, and if he didn't look adorable doing it. That was another thing he'd have to paint at some point, Rinn sleeping in a pile of plushies. Maybe he'd sneak up on him one day when he was out like a light. Being awake during the day was never easy, but like most things he had learned to block out the effects while he worked. So long as it was early morning or late afternoon, he was able to get by.

What was the first thing he wanted to do? Miika gazed at Alfarinn and then the bed he was perched in and raised an eyebrow, which might or might not be visible by the over long hair falling over his forehead. Oh really?

"Depends, what's on offer?" He asked, voice dropping low.

(OOC: I adore you, you know that, but that's pushing it :P )
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn was looking at a painting in the room and hadn't seen the look his child gave him. The question turned his head though.

"Miika!" He sighed and laughed. "That's not what I meant."

Though he did look at his companion in concern, a thought suddenly occurring to him. Setting Vindr on the bed, he walked over to Miika and pushed some of the long hair out of his eyes.

"When is the last time you've fed? Are you hungry?"

He held on to Miika loosely, one hand on his hip so that he couldn't just flippantly wave off the question and wander off to find something else to do. Alfarinn knew that Miika sometimes forgot to eat while he was painting, unlike most vampires the man seemed to have no caring for it. He did what was necessary to survive but sometimes he just didn't bother. It was those times that worried his creator.
Miika Laine 18 years ago
"You didn't? Pity. Well, if you're not staying, I guess I'll finish unpacking and maybe paint a bit, there's a couple of techniques I saw that I'd like to try out."

Miika shrugged and looked up at Alfarinn. He didn't like having this conversation. More often than not just the idea of having to feed sickened him. It wasn't the blood, but the act of biting someone, that got to him. He sighed and cast his eyes down. He was aware that everyone considered him a sad, pathetic vampire not deserving of immortality. Poor Alfarinn, always needing to take care of him. It must have been quite a relief to have him gone for a few months.

"I had a bit not long before I left, I'm fine, you needn't worry."

He swayed slightly, catching himself and stiffening his spine before he leaned against Alfarinn. No! It was time he grew up, so to speak, he wasn't a young vampire anymore. Hell, he was nearing the century mark! He couldn't depend on his sire forever and sooner or later Alfarinn needed to go on with his own life.

He whimpered softly at the mere thought of that. Before he even realised it, he had slipped his hands under Alfarinn's tight shirt, just resting his palms against the skin and enjoying touch of the cool skin. It was one of those things that reminded him of home and often just pawing his creator was enough to reassure him.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"Miika..." Alfarinn wrapped his arms around the man. "You are hungry. Its been a long trip."

While, he was certain that Miika had fed recently enough not to starve or harm someone if he fed tonight, he also knew that the boy was likely to not feed of his own accord this evening. Then he would get caught up in some painting and who knew how long it would be before Miika even thought of the necessity again?

Alfarinn knew that just getting home was trying, traveling such a long way is never fun for a vampire. Even with private jets the idea of being in a metal case in the middle of the day was enough to send shivers down his spine. Having to face something that Miika disliked so soon after returning was not the welcoming that Alfarinn had originally intended for him.

He sank to his knees, holding Miika by the wrists.

"I'm here. Take what you need."
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika shivered, looking down at Alfarinn. Did he want it? Gah, of course he did! He could practically feel the blood calling out to him. He knew he should decline. He had to take a stand and refuse to be so dependant sometime. Some... other time.

He groaned and wriggled his wrists loose, cupping Alfarinn's face.
"All right," he agreed sofly. "but move back to the bed, I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

He smiled then, hoping to convey the message that he was totally serious and not about to do something stupid like attempt to bolt and make Alfarinn have to chase him down just to make sure he got back safely before dawn. They had played that game a lot of years back already, he had lost. His poor Rinn, the trouble he had received on account of Miika was just staggering. Would he ever be able to make up for all of that?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn nodded and headed slowly to the bed. Miika was being reasonable at least. Sometimes it was hard to say what went through his mind, and Alfarinn knew him better than most. He leaned back on the bed and watched Miika calmly.

Alfarinn trusted his child with his life. Miika wouldn't harm him. That was the issue actually, Miika had a hard time harming anyone, even just a little bit. Alfarinn feared that one of these days he was going to be so hungry that he'd do something he'd regret. If there was a way Alfarinn could prevent that from happening he would. People say protecting him like this was a diservice to Miika, that Alfarinn should let him make his own choices and he'd learn the hard way. He wasn't willing to do that, what if it destroyed him, broke his heart, his will to create? Alfarinn wasn't willing to test that simply to find out if Miika could survive it.

If it was something the boy never did well, he'd be alright with that. Alfarinn's only fear with protecting him like this was something happening to himself, who would take care of Miika then?
Miika Laine 18 years ago
Miika crawled up next to Alfarinn, just petting his hair for a few moments. He wouldn't get more assistance than this, he knew. Why should he? Was it not bad enough his creator had feed him like newly created fledge? What more did he want, to find the vein already open? What sort of pathetic excuse for a vampire didn't like the sensation of sliding his teeth through something solid? At least it wasn't warm, living human skin. This he had done before, he could handle it.

He scooted closer, gently tilting Alfarinn's head before leaning over him, nuzzling the smooth, cool skin of his neck. This close up, the call was maddening. He really should force himself to feed more, if only because it would spare his sire some worry. However, when he was this close to where it had all started, he found himself willing to starve if it meant he could experience this more often.

He had never fed off another vampire, but he had been told the blood is stronger than that of a human. Perhaps the allure of what flowed so close to his mouth now would be equally powerful on any other vampire, but Miika refused to believe it. They shared blood, they were bonded, he couldn't imagine any other blood reaching out to him quite as this did.

Resolve crumbled, making Miika lean in closer still, lips just grazing the cool skin before his mouth opened and he allowed his fangs to come down. A slow lick led him to the area where the skin was the thinnest and with one last needy groan, he bit down gently.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn slid his arms around Miika, holding him gently to him. So sweet, so delicate that bite, it always broke his heart that someone could be so gentle, so caring. It made him feel guilty for turning him into a creature that had to hunt living things for food. He'd never begrudge Miika the blood he needed. It was because of him that he had to have it.

He closed his eyes, sighing with the pleasure that always comes with such a merciful entry. Alfarinn felt the bond between them flare into vivid life with the blood flowing between them heightening the connection they shared. He could feel Miika's need and his pleasure now that he had begun to feed. It mixed with his own and was bound together with the love and affection he felt for him.

One hundred years had gone by so quickly and he'd been thankful for Miika every one of those. He brought a joy of living back into his life. A selfish urge to preserve someone so creative and beautiful had developed into a bond that was healing to his soul.

Aflarinn pushed a languid hand through his child's hair, petting him gently, encouragingly, before running the hand down his back and pulling him tightly to him.

He whispered quietly, more to himself than anyone else.

"Welcome home, Miika."