Driers and Mops

The run had helped some. Put some distance between herself and her feelings and even though she hadn't liked it, hearing it all out out put things in perspective. She'd had to think about her answers for Nikhila, she'd had to be logical it made a difference. She pulled into the parking lot and while she still felt empty and cheated, and just a tiny bit guilty, it wasn't overwhelming. But the professor had also made it alright for her not to get over it immediately.

Ordinarily Thérèse might have sat in her car and brooded, reflected on the situation and her conversation a bit more, but it was cold out and she was still wet. Although thank god for Xephier, she wasn't going t catch pneumonia now. Entering the asylum she squelched her way to the laundry room, striping off her sodden sweatshirt leaving just her track pants and a tank top. But she had to wring the damned thing out and get her shoes and socks off before cleaning herself up. The plan was to toss everything she could in the drier and go find that hot bath.

"Snow. I swear the forecast said more snow."

Thérèse muttered as she gave up on the squelching half way to the laundry room and kicked her shoes off and peeled her socks from her feet. Ruefully she noted she was leaving puddles behind as she walked. Brilliant. She'd need to clean this up before her bath too.

Vaughn Emiliano 13 years ago
Vaughn came down the hall with the empty basket supported on one hip. Work, which many people said helped take a person's mind off their problems, was miserable. His staff, especially his secretary, asked on numerous occasions if something was troubling him. More than once Vaughn had been caught staring out at the rain. Finally, offering no excuse for his behavior, he took the rest of the day off.

He had been filling his time with menial labor around Shady Pines, growling at various members of the Kumpania who insisted that he didn't need to do this kind of work. It helped, the mindless chore of changing light bulbs, fixing leaks, cleaning unused areas of the compound for later use. He had come in not too long ago after being harassed repeatedly by Antoine to go get dry and take a shower. The damn nosy Frenchman didn't ask him his troubles he just made himself an ever present companion until Vaughn finally agreed. He had moved the clothing he had in the wash over to the dryer and then went and took his shower. It was a long hot shower and he did his best not to imagine how different it would be with Therese in there with him, warm and wet, pressed against the tiles as he made love to every inch of her skin with his mouth.

It had taken ages to shake that image from his mind.

Vaughn stopped, nearly losing the basket as the object of his mental fantasies muttered and hopped while pulling off wet clothing in the hallway. He went to her and reached out his hand to her shoulder.

"Hello." Vaughn gave her a tentative smile.
Therese 13 years ago
And all that focus and resolution went right out the window as he placed his hand on her shoulder and that soft smile. She'd done a very good job of avoiding him for the past week plus, it was a lot easier to keep focused when she was avoiding him.

Oblivious to her dripping hair and her now half dressed state consisting only of wet clothing she smiled back. It was as warm as she was cold right now. Guiltily Thérèse cleared her throat and tried to remember the conclusions she'd just reached.

"Bonjour."

She should take his hand off her shoulder, but didn't. It was warm and dry and she had to work at reminding herself it was nothing. It couldn't be anything. She wanted it to be... no. No wants.

"Does this mean we are going to be fighting over the drier?"

Thérèse nodded at his basket.
Vaughn slid his hand off her shoulder, realizing that it shouldn't be there. They had made that decision and he should honor it. He looked down at the floor, unsure of what to say. He should let her get to her room so that she could get dry. He shouldn't want her to linger. He shouldn't be trying to think of things that would convince her to save even a minute or two longer.

He did and he was.

"No" Vaughn answered, her question. With a smile, he took her hand and led her to the laundry room. "Mine should be dry."

Kneeling in front of the dryer, he pulled his clothes from the machine and put them over into the basket. Rummaging through the warm fabric, he found one that he was looking for. Standing, Vaughn handed it to her.

"Here, freshly washed and still toasty."

He would much rather wrap himself around her but his sweatshirt was a more responsible offer. It was difficult not to act on unwise impulses. He tried not to notice how beautiful she was even while dripping wet. Cursing inwardly, Vaughn found that task impossible.
Therese 13 years ago
It had been a little thing the hand on her shoulder, but she missed it. She wanted that and more. She should be worried about dripping all over the floor, about being cold and about having absolutely no claim and no right to him. But damned it, she did. He was hers. The desire to shove him up against the wall and... Thérèse forced herself to get control of those urges. If she didn't she'd wind up meeting his wife and growling at her and that could be... awkward to say the least.

So it was rather difficult to remain composed when he took her hand. Still they had made their decision. It was for the best, she knew that. He knew that. Nikhila knew that and she wasn't even involved. Again she forced her head to rule over her heart and body. She smiled down at him as he knelt.

"You do not strike me as the domestic type. How did you get drafted into this chore?"

It was frivolous conversation, but she wasn't stalling for times she was... She lost sight of what she was doing, or not doing and instead shimmied into the offered sweatshirt. She understood that he couldn't wrap her up in in the way Xephier had his fiance but that didn't mean she couldn't enjoy this warm substitute. Thérèse snuggled into it trying not to enjoy it too much.

"Merci. I'm afraid it will be all wet, but I will be sure to dry and return it."

She no longer felt like she was repressing shivers and was already looking forward to having an excuse to see him again. Even something as mundane as returning the sweatshirt.
"I...drafted myself actually." Vaughn looked down at the basket of laundry, unwilling to explain why he had set himself this chore. His silence probably told more than any explanation would have anyway.

He was jealous of his shirt, one of his favorites, chosen purposefully. Seeing it where he longed to be was heart wrenching but at least it was something of him. Vaughn reached out his hands and rubbed them along her arms, like he had when they had both been cold. One more little step and she'd be against his chest and he could wrap his arms around her. One little step.

"Keep it as long as you need it."

It was a pitiful substitute. He couldn't even pretend to be magnanimous. She deserved so much more, so much better than what he had to offer.

"So what had you out in this rain?"

He probably shouldn't have asked, especially if her reasons were the same as his reasons.
Therese 13 years ago
"Do you iron too?"

She teased him. At least she hoped it came out that way. It was hard to say light.

Feeling his hands rub up and down her arms, having him so close, she wanted very much to just lean in and kissed him. To snuggle into his arms instead of just his sweatshirt. Thérèse swallowed and nervously licked her lips reminding herself of his wife, children, of his position.

She smiled at his offer and thought that 'forever' was as long as she might need it.

"I went for a run with an old friend. We... we talked quite a bit and got caught in the rain and then the battery in my car died and... I went for a run. It was supposed to snow, not rain."

It would hardly do to tell him he'd been the topic of conversation.
Hearing her story, he couldn't do nothing. Vaughn collected her close, wrapping his arms around her. He tried to tell himself that it was just to comfort her after such a hard time but he knew that it was what he wanted too.

"I'm sorry your day was awful."

He suspected that the situation between them had been the topic of conversation. Women seemed much better at going to others when they needed help and advice, or perhaps being closed off was simply his own particular failing. Vaughn was glad Therese had someone to confide in and he hoped that they didn't judge her too harshly for what happened.

Answering her question, he smiled and kissed her hair.

"Yes, I iron too. Though I personally prefer 'lay flat to dry'. "

That came out far more suggestive than he had intended. It was so easy, so natural to speak with her that way. Vaughn sighed and vowed to be more careful about what he said in the future. He suspected that was going to lead to a lot of moments where he looked like a complete idiot while he tried to come up with something appropriate to say.
Therese 13 years ago
It wasn't awful, it had been hard to accept what she'd come to realize but even that she already knew, hearing it aloud was only a formality. The worst part had been watching the professor and her fiancé and knowing if she wanted that she was going to have to give Vaughn up and move on. Thérèse didn't think she could do that and remain in Nachton and her keeper wasn't about to let her go. Perhaps if she finished this job of his quickly he would or send her somewhere else or maybe she would find a way to break his hold over her.

Knowing Nikhila wouldn't approve she let him gather her close and wrapped her arms around him, leaning in, accepting the offered support. Still she was careful not to move, not to look up not to do anything that was remotely suggestive. Although she was wondering if she could arrange to get caught in the rain with a flat tomorrow.

"It is hardly your fault, and could have been much worse."

She breathed deeply, inhaling his scent. It was fresh and clean, soap and shampoo, with a bit of longing she recalled the smell of the snow and cold, the smoke and the fire that had mingled with him. Thérèse tried to pull away, but couldn't, not just yet. She could allow herself another moment.

"I had no idea you were so domestic. I would have expected dry cleaners."

Yes, she should pull away now, they had crossed the line from platonic into something else. It was still almost innocent, but it wouldn't be much longer. But she didn't move.
Vaughn wondered how much of that statement was true. Would she have chosen to go out running in the cold and wet if she hadn't needed to talk to someone? Perhaps, but he didn't like the thought of being the reason for her bad day.

He wanted to be able to let her go. Needed to let her go. Her arms around him felt good. Vaughn exhaled a long sigh, pent up tension leaving his body now that she was holding him.

"For the suits, yes, dry cleaners. But I don't wear them unless I have to."

He smiled softly, wondering what kind of man she saw. Vaughn would never have chosen to be Mayor except that it was another tool for the pack. He hated suits,especially ties, hated meetings and being indoors. It was all for the R'asa. Otherwise he'd continue working as a bounty hunter and doing odd jobs for the pack.

After a moment he noticed that she wasn't moving. He shouldn't have initiated this contact; it was just making things harder for them both. Vaughn pulled away and stepped back.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have." He ran his fingers through his hair before letting them fall to his sides. "Its just...I can't help..." He stopped. There was no good excuse. He would do what he needed to for her sake. It was hard. Even harder than watching Isobel with Rik. At least Isobel had been happy, hadn't wanted him. This was different. It was harder to see the reason for making them both miserable.
Therese 13 years ago
She liked him better without the suits. Oddly enough, now that she thought about it, aside from the Halloween event she'd not really seen him in the suit. It was hard to remember he was the mayor. Thérèse wondered if this would be easier if he wasn't. No, he'd still be married. Less public, but still married. As she was still apparently hadn't mastered the art of letting this go. Maybe she would call Nikhila for another run.

God, oh god, she hadn't... she... Thérèse blushed and stepped away even further than he had. Unconsciously mirroring his gesture she tried to straighten her own hair and was suddenly reminded how wet she still was.

"Non, non... do not be sorry. I should not have presumed."

She was pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. And cruel, she was not attempting to lead him on, there was no 'on'. Thérèse considered crying when he babbled a bit, she did hear 'can't help it' and just... it hurt. But she swallowed the idea of tears and the pain and tried to get herself back together.

"I... we... I..." With a sad shrug. "It is hard... I do not know how to proceed."

It would be easier to leave the city.
"You didn't." Vaughn moved forward again, when it appeared that she was going to blame herself. The urge to comfort her was strong. "I'm the one who started it, don't blame yourself."

He bent down and began folding the clothes. It gave his hands something to do so that they wouldn't find themselves around her again. Pausing with a shirt in his hand, he looked up at her sadly.

"I know its hard." Believe me, I know. "It seems I don't go an hour without thinking of you."

Vaughn quickly looked down again, folded the shirt, picked up the next one.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" He glanced up at her to let her know he meant what he said. "Anything at all? I'll stay out of your way if you like or..." Vaughn shrugged. "not if that's better."

He didn't know what was worse, not seeing her at all or seeing her but not being able to touch her. Given a choice, he'd rather see her and have her in his life, however hard that was on him. Not having that would be like a light going out in his world.
Therese 13 years ago
It wasn't blame, it was the truth. She had encouraged him, she had wanted him to chase her, to catch her and she had... she had agreed to one day. It was embarrassing, there was no excuse for the lack of self control. All of this trouble, this emptiness was her own fault. Worse was she was causing him pain.

She watched as he folded cloths, fascinated simply by watching his hands go through the menial task.

"Do not say that. I'm not sure..."

It was something she both wanted to hear and couldn't bear to. It only confirmed that she had hurt him. And yet he was trying to help make this easier. Far too kind of him.

Thérèse was suddenly struck by an idea. She couldn't go back to her family he wouldn't allow it, and it would leave her more vulnerable to her keeper, but it would be better... it had to be better. Less temptation any way.

"I... I could move. It would take some time to find a place in the city, but if you think it would be better..."

It would also be unnatural, wolves lived in packs for a reason. But she was willing to take this risk if it would make it at all easier for him. The idea of not seeing him, even just once in a while was painful though.
Vaughn stopped what he was doing and stood quickly. Afterward he would think back on the moment and be surprised by the speed with which he moved once more to her side. He didn't pull him to her this time, he simply placed a hand on her arm.

"No!" He wanted to say he wouldn't allow it but she wasn't his to control. She was a member of the pack but he could not tell her where to live. Vaughn took a deep calming breath and tried again. "Please, don't go."

He looked into her eyes and smiled sadly. "I would be happier if you were here. I know that I have no right to you. I know that you will move on and be happy without me but I'd rather see that, KNOW that you're happy, even if its with someone else, than to never see you again."

Until then he was asking her to be in pain when she could go somewhere else and start fresh. Moving would help her forget about him more quickly. Still Therese encountered vampires her very first night and he was still convinced someone had beat her. No, he didn't want her to move away, for a lot of reasons.
Therese 13 years ago
She didn't -want- to move on, not away. Had and want, two different things and they were in conflict with each other. The hand on her arm seemed to indicate he felt the same way.

"I don't want to hurt you. That was never my intent."

She had not anticipated how hard this would be, how much it would hurt. Often her affairs were casual even a longer affairs didn't involve much emotion. It wasn't that she was cold or uncaring but some how it had been easier to control her feelings, to rationalize them and let her logic rule.

Now she was having a hard time seeing the truth in his words. Although, eventually, if she couldn't have him she would have to find some one. She didn't -have- to, but she didn't relish the idea of being alone the rest of her life. That was a frivolous romantic notion, to die pining.

Besides which, she didn't think she could stand watching him with his family, even if it wasn't perfect, and know she could have no place it in. How could she watch while a woman who didn't want him had a right to him while she didn't?

"It wouldn't be never... just not often. Besides you wouldn't want the press to get wind of this somehow would you?"

She offered a weak smile, knowing that they were -extraordinarily- unlikely to and that it would undoubtedly be the least of Vaughn's concerns. Thérèse gently disengaged herself from his hold. She didn't want to move. If nothing else she would be sacrificing the only place she was safe.
Vaughn looked down when she moved away from him, until then unaware that he had been holding onto her so tightly. He blushed and clasped his hands behind his back. They were obviously getting him into trouble today.

"I know that. I don't want to hurt you either. It doesn't change the fact that we are hurting."

He sighed at her stubborn insistence on moving somewhere else. "Is it what you want, Therese? If it is then I won't say anything. I won't be happy but I wouldn't stop you. Don't go for me because I'd rather you didn't."

Vaughn folded his arms across his chest and frowned. "I don't give a damn about the press." That was true, he didn't. What she said had merit but the press didn't come here anyway. This wasn't his official residence as Mayor. This place was for the VR not for public eyes. "This is your home. Stay."
Therese 13 years ago
There had to be a way to change it, to fix it. There was no reason he should have to deal with this. It didn't matter how she felt, she should have known better and quite deserved to suffer. She also knew she was strong enough to deal with the pain. It wouldn't be easy or pleasant but it could be endured.

Knowing he meant it and knowing she didn't want to move... she might have the ability to endure but she didn't have the strength to resist him. She choked back several responses, but she couldn't convincingly say she wanted to move out.

These were feeling Thérèse didn't understand, she wanted to run from them. But she couldn't, instead she found herself running toward him. Before she knew what she was doing, what was proper, Thérèse followed her original instincts, pressed him to the wall and kissed him. Hard. Deep. With all the passion, longing and frustration she felt.

Reluctantly breaking off and backing away she almost whispered.

"Where else would I go?"

((OOC... green is French... I think it always will be))
Therese was conflicted. He could tell. Vaughn did not expect her reaction, at least not after she had backed away from him earlier. He found himself against the wall, her mouth on his. Even while his mind tumbled out of control, his heart and body knew what to do.

He wrapped his arms around her again, returning her kiss with pent up desperate need. It was forceful. It was real. He felt awake for the first time since they had spent a snowy day together. He was breathing hard when she had pulled away from him. It was difficult to release her when she moved away. Every part of him screamed to hold her tight and never let go again.

"Nulle part. Reste avec moi."

Vaughn watched her. A part of him wasn't sure what he was asking and another part of him was frightened that he knew -exactly- what he was asking. Right now, he didn't care. He wanted her to stay, no matter the consequences.

((OOC: He said. "Nowhere. Stay with me." ))
Therese 13 years ago
God, she didn't want it to end. Thérèse could have happily kissed him for hours. Maybe time would just stop there. She felt the kiss, adrenaline and endorphins surged through her and she couldn't imagine not seeing him every day, in what ever acceptable circumstance they could concocted was in imaginable.

She didn't know he spoke French. It didn't surprise her though, and the sound of her native language warmed her. It made the force of what he had said hit home even stronger. She didn't know on what level he meant it, but she knew what she hoped for.

"I will be here."

In Nachton, at the asylum, with him but not with him. She couldn't do that while he remained another's mate and husband. No mater how much she wanted him, wanted to be with him and not matter how much she believed he wanted to be with her. They each had to give the other a chance to heal and move on.
Octavia Emiliano 13 years ago
"Uh huh, likes to be brushed." Tavi rolled her eyes as she pushed open a side door to the building, once a staff entrance. Her client had called, aaaagain, to ask if she had found his little precious. She had hoped the phone call would be brief after she told him no. That was no to be. Obviously it was necessary for her to know little cuddlywuddly's dietary needs and grooming requirements. "Of course. I'll remember that, Mr Blankenship....I will.... you too... I understand...Goodbye."

She heaved a great sigh of relief, pushing her back up against the door and staring down at the little phone as though it were responsible for her troubles. Could you, in good conscience, put a client's phone number on your block list? Hmmm....

Tavi looked up when she heard voices from down the hall. As she drew nearer she could hear French spoken. The voice didn't belong to Antoine; it sounded like her dad. The answering voice was feminine, Therese.

She smiled and quickened her pace, popping her head inside the door.

"Hello....you two." Tavi glanced from one to the other. Tension crackled between them. Perhaps she was just noticing her father's rapid breathing or his politician smile from slightly swollen lips.

She turned her attention to the Frenchwoman and noticed the sweatshirt she was wearing, Vaughn's favorite, unless Therese went to Cardiff University and liked her garments a couple of sizes too big.

"Its raining cats and dogs out there." Tavi smiled brightly. "Speaking of cats. Would you believe I have a case to retrieve someone's pampered show cat?! Of all the detectives they could find, they came to a wolf. Unbelievable."
She had said, "Je vais être ici." He sighed slightly, not sure if it was with relief or disappointment. Therese appeared to take his request to mean simply don't move away. It was for the best, he told himself, but without any conviction. Vaughn had broken down and asked her to stay with him and thought the words were vague he had hoped she would accept his passion filled plea before he could think about it further. He was happy that she chose to remain at Shady Pines. Vaughn didn't have a chance to tell her how much it meant to him.

He heard someone coming and pulled away from the wall, pointing towards the door. He stood beside his basket of clothes, looking at the entrance.

Tavi's brightly coloured head appeared around the door. He forced a natural looking smile, doing his best to appear at ease. His daughter's eyes took in all of him in a glance and then dismissed him before turning her attention to Therese. He wondered what she saw.

Whatever it was she chose not to comment. Hearing her tale, he grinned, it came more easily this time and shrugged his shoulders. "Isn't that what canines do? Chase cats? You are the obvious choice."