Something's Burning

Riding the horse with her hair blowing behind her, Nara was laughing and smiling as the wind hit her face over the head of the ebony mare. Arms thrown wide, and her legs clutching the sides of the saddleless mount, she felt free. The sun was high and summer had just seen the release of students across the county. Coughing, she frowned, looking around as she was once again sitting near her father's hospital bed listening to the sounds of his labored breathing and the machine beeping that something was wrong. Tears filled her eyes as she gripped his hand and again coughed herself. Wait, she was coughing, and having trouble breathing, not him.

She rolled in the bed, even in her blue sleeveless tshirt and vivid red panties the only garments she wore at the moment seemed overly warm. She wanted to go back to the first part of the dream, but the heat and the air seemed wrong. She sat up blinking with watery eyes looking around as she continued to cough into her hand. Eyes went wide as she realized the beeping was a fire alarm. Smoke filled her room, and she could hear sirens outside on the street.

She was on the third floor of an old burning building, and realized that she had to get out. Rolling to the floor, she headed toward the single window in the large one room efficiency apartment that was already filled with dark smoke. With a sudden thought, she crawled back toward her bed, to the bedside table to grab the picture of her parents that she kept there. She thought of the lap top with all her work on it and headed to the couch to grab it though it became harder to breath and she was coughing more. She could feel the heat of the fire through the walls and hearing a sound, she covered her head with her hands as the area of ceiling over her kitchen area fell in the fire becoming visible.

She grabbed her laptop, adding it to the frame in her arms and keeping as low as possible headed toward the window, hoping that it wouldn't stick this time. At the window she was laid low by coughing again and curled against the window frame looking out and trying to open it with one hand.

Panos Mehalitsenos 13 years ago
It was night and Panos had felt restless. He could go to the House of Pain or Eternity but neither seemed liked a keen idea. He didn't want to be surrounded by throngs of people all looking for a meal. Instead he decided to head down to a little neighborhood bar that seemed secluded from the usual hustle and bustle of the city. They had drinks, terrible kareoke, and loose women.

Parking his car on the side street near the bar, Panos stepped out and adjusted his dark grey wool pea coat.The smell of smoke and ash tickled his nose and he looked into the evening sky to find it's source. Thin wispy tendrils were beginning to peek out around a building down the street from where he stood. Interested to see what was going down, Panos began walking down the sidewalk as the smell began to assault him more. Nearing the building it was apparent what he was smelling wasn't just some homeless bum burning shit in a barrel. In fact the whole building was beginning to go up.

Looking up at place Panos tried to determined if it was occupied or not. His second thought was who cares if it was? It's not like he was in the bussiness of saving people. Hell he hardly could save himself these days.

Fuck it, He thought to himself. Let the place burn, it was probably a crack house to begin with.

Turning to walk back towards the bar his eye caught a flicker of fingers on a glass.

"Figures."

With a heavy sigh he walked over to the window and looked inside to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Looking at the fire escape with tear filled eyes, she tried fervently to get the window open. She was on the third floor and it had been cold out so she hadn't been all that worried about opening the window other than when she had explored it upon her arrival to the city and been looking to rent some place affordable. Now though that seemed like perhaps it wasn't the best plan for safety.

She was having trouble keeping conscious. Her vision had spots now and she slid down the wall just inches from safety with one arm gripping the laptop and picture frame to her chest as she curled into herself under the window sill.
Standing before the glass he saw nothing. No movement, no fingers, no shiney eyes staring desperatly at him pleading for help without words. His guilty concious was playing tricks on him.

Before he moved to turn away the door the the complex flew open and an old woman came crashing out with startled crazy eyes.

"Call 911! Call 911!" She shouted as she tore past him at the speed of an elderly person. Seeing Panos standing there the women reached out and clutched his arm.

"I smelled smoke somethings on fire! Call 911!" She released his arm and tittered on down the steps screaming like she was the one on fire.

It looked like this wasn't an unoccupied building after all. What was he supossed to do about it? He wasn't a fireman and he certain didn't call all that much if a few humans burned down in a fire. Hell he had watched people suffer worse and did nothing.

Now half the neighborhood was outside due to the womans shouting and he still stood on the porch like a misplaced piece of wicker furniture. Someone screamed.

"Someones up there!"

Coming off the porch finally Panos looked to where they were pointing and saw a smoke filled window. How someone could be in there and breathe was an anomalie.

"Just leave." His inner voice suggested.

Feeling like the big ass everyone who knew him claimed him to be, Panos decided to be different tonight.

With ease he jumped up on to the fire escape and made his way up the rickety piece of metal until he got to the window that was filled with smoke. With a hard kick, Panos shattered the window and ruined a nice pair of leather loafers. The smoke billowed out around him, no doubt the new oxygen added fuel to the fire inside. Turning sideways he made an attempt at entering but his foot crunched and squished at the same time.

"How convienent." He said as he withdrew and instead reached into the windo with his upper torso. He felt around the broken glass that had shattered ontop of what felt like a warm body.

"Hey are you awake?" He called out into the thick smoke figure the person was already dead.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Nara was fading out as the glass came in on top of her. She cringed, but there was some coolness from the outside as well. Giving a whimper, she felt the shards cut her in a few places on her legs and arms. Her face was curled in, so it didn't get much. Gasping for the air, she gave a moan feeling a weight press on her briefly from his foot.

She heard the question and tried to answer but only managed a cough and a weak reaching up of a slightly bloody hand from the glass that had hit her, to grip his arm. She pulled up weakly, with that arm the other still clutching the items to her chest. Her eyes too watery and affected by the smoke to see details, only that someone was there and she was going to grasp for the chance to live.

"Heeelp" cough "me." cough. Her hoarse voice barely decipherable, at least it would be to human ears.
He heard the feeble cough the same time he felt a thin hand attempt to grasp his forearm.

Well lookie here, he had a live one.

Using both arms to start to tug up the woman, he got her to the window and pulled her up against his chest. Lifting without so much as a grunt Panos lifted her out of the window and stood. The small crowd of neighbors began to cheer which caused him to pause. He couldn't exactly jump down from the third floor with a woman in his arms in front fo everyone. Already he was going to have to beat feet it to get out of there before cops and the news arrived. Thankfully in the cities lower income esection it was taook them awhile to respond.

Issue aside, Panos tossed the woman over his shoulder fire fighter style in order to make a plausible descent down the fire escape.

"I hope you don't mind, but it's the only way to get you down." He said to her.

Maybe he should ask if she could walk? Deciding against that logic Panos noticed the very obvious red panties that were next to his face. Grabbing her shirt he yanked it down to cover her exposure and used his hand to pin it to her leg where he was holding her. Good god, not only was out saving people he was now perserving their dignity?

"I shoulda just went to the fucking bar." He grumbled to himself.

"Elevator service, going down." He cracked as he started down the stairs.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
She was dazed and more out of it than not, she whimpered. "Fire, building's on fire." She felt her self being tossed up and over. With a grunt of air through her lips, she found herself over the man's shoulder. She nearly lost her grip on the precious items. She felt the laptop slipping.

"Oh, nooo." She felt it fall, but managed to keep hold of the frame as the laptop slipped out of her grasp. Her coughing continued. She closed her eyes as the way down seemed to spin due to lack of oxygen. She leaned her forehead against his back. "Thank you." She managed finally as they neared the bottom.
"Yeah sure seems like it." Panos commented having no idea if she even heard him.

It came to his attention that the woman was holding onto something as its edges jammed into his back. Something else slipped between them as a new wave of hacking sent the women in convulsions. He heard her dismay but thankfully she didn't struggle to catch whatever it was. The item banged onto the rusty metal once before Panos was able to snatch it up, keeping it from further destruction.

"Let's not drop anything else now ok? I've only got two hands and your occupying one of them."

Tucking the laptop underneath the arms she was hanging over, Panos made the final few steps towards what looked like an acceptable place to jump from and landed them safely on the ground. Squating down he gently set her on the ground up against the building. Staning back up he handed her the laptop.

"Are you all right? I'm pretty sure someones called the ambulance by now. They should be here soon."

He figeted and looked around. The crowd hadn't migrated over to them just yet thankfully.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
She was more than a little out of it. She looked at him from where he had sat her down. The cuts from the glass stinging as several blood trickles made their way down her arms and legs. "It hurts." She coughed. Breathing hurt. She laid her head back. She reached up with her free hand, the one that didn't have the frame clutched in it, to try and hold him there. Her fingers were weak though.

"Don't go." She began to shiver from the cold of the winter air. Coughing also seemed to be more than she could fight. "Please." She gasped out on a breath of air. She had inhaled much too much smoke and had some bits of glass embedded in her flesh where he had stepped in briefly after breaking the window. Other pieces had landed with sharp shard inward but nothing terribly deep. Just painful, or would be when the shock wore off and she got enough oxygen.
At her touch Panos jumped slightly. Her hands were freezing and even he coudl feel that. Taking off his coat he wrapped it around her. It was then he noticed all the cuts and glass. He had kicked the window in and she had been right under it.

"I'm sorry, this will keep you warm." Sitting back on one knee Panos looked her soot smeared face over as she struggled to breathe.

She certainly didn't look like the people who visited teh bar at the end of the street that was for sure. Where as half of them were missing teeth from doing meth, this woman looked healthy. Not at all the type of female he expected to see around this neighborhood. Beneath the dirt he could tell her skin was pale as china.

Picking pieces of glass out of her hair and flicking them to the ground, Panos frowned at her request. Staying meant answering questions, it meant possible interviews and being caught on camera. It meant being perceived as a hero. He had enemies, a lot whom he didn't know where they were or if they were still looking for him.

Did he just leave her here? Was he going to stay simply because she asked him too? Maybe he could stay until the authorites showed up.

"We probably shouldn't be sitting up against the building that's on fire but you're safe. Sorry about the glass, I didn't know you were under the window."

He was so tempted to offer to pull some of the shards of glass out for her. He could see some of them sticking out just asking to be removed and releasing the flow beneath that glowing skin. While he did have some decent resistance and control over himself, he didn't think he could contain himself if it was all over his fingers. This wasn't someone he knew; she was a stranger, a semiconcious slightly bloody stranger. There was a difference.

ENOUGH. His inner voice admonished. He was too old for dirt alley way dinners and besides he had gone to a lot of work to get her out of the building and that certainly wasn't so he could leave her for dead done below. He'd focus on something else besides the drippy cuts up and down her arms and legs.

"You'll catch your breath soon, just don't try to breath deep right away. Did you leave some candles burning in there and forget to blow them out? Do you have family to call?"

Apparently his diversion was to unload questions on her.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
The weight of the jacket came with warmth. She snuggled into it holding the framed picture of her parents to her chest. "Thank you." She managed, finally getting enough air to not cough quite so much. She glanced up the wall with a tilt of her head to peer upward at the smoke billowing from most of the upper floors now. It was spreading like mad through the old building.

"We should move away from the wall." She agreed, trying to stand, but between the shock of the situation, and the recent lack of oxygen, she was quite wobbly. "I'm lucky you broke it. A few cuts will heal." She winced as a few of them made themselves known. Her bare feet and legs stuck out from under the coat.

"It wasn't my apartment at first. I was asleep. Woke up from a weird dream and to a lot of smoke." She coughed again, her voice rough from the smoke inhalation. "The area over my kitchen came down with flames eating the walls." She brought her free hand to her mouth remembering with a waver of her voice as fear belatedly really set in.

"No, no family." She looked at the frame, letting it slide into view with a loosening of the grip that held it to her chest. "All gone for some time now." She put her fingers over her parent's faces briefly wishing they were still there. She had nothing now. The fire had taken it all. There were a few things in storage back in Uvalde, but nothing that really would help her now. She'd just gotten into a job to help afford the place she was in up there. It had been furnished. Her clothing was gone. Her things, such as they were, gone.
"Here take my hand."He offered as she wobbled. They could move to a safer location, hopefully not one to crowded by onlookers. The sounds of sirens finally began to pierce the night. He watched her touch the picture frame, the pain in her eyes made him uncharacteristically blurt out a person detail.

"I have no family either." What he thought would come of randomly stating such a fact, he had no idea. Something inside of him just wanted her to not be upset.

"Uh, any friends you'd like to get a hold of? Let them know what's happened, find a place to stay?I have a phone you could use."

Panos felt awkward. He didn't know how to be helpful. It had always been him being helped, it felt foreign to be on the reverse end.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
She gave him a look of mutual sharing of the idea that they were alone in the world. Her lips gave a weak upturn as she felt a moment's connection with this man. The comfort that at least he had thought to look for someone, finding her, was there in her heart. She might have been lost and who really would have known for the longest that she was even missing?

At the offer of the phone, she shook her head.
"My friends are in Uvalde, and wouldn't be able to get here or do much to help, that you haven't already done." But then as she took his hand for support and let him lead her to somewhere more safe from the possibility of falling debris or further smoke and fire danger, she winced.

"I'll need to find a hotel now, I suppose. Everything went up in there." She had some funds, dwindling though they might be, that would allow a few nights in a hotel or few more in a fleabag place. But she had nothing to wear to go to meet with her possible employers, and the who situation started really hitting home in her mind. She leaned into him as they made their way out from near the building but seemingly away from the gawkers as well. "I'm in a bit of a pinch." She needed to get her cuts seen to and the glass removed. She was breathing better, though her voice was still very hoarse.

She looked at him.
"I didn't get your name. A girl ought to know who saved her life, right?" She asked to delay having to think about how she would move on from here. "I'm Nara Baker."
Come on, couldn't of he ran into this woman at the bar instead of pulling her from a burning building? She had no friends or family in the city, it was like a dream come true. She was utterly and entirely alone with no one to notice if she went missing. Normally this would have been an ideal instance for him to repeat past mistakes.

Reflecting on how all those situations had turned out for him; Panos pushed aside that old voice, that devil on his shoulder and deciding to do just the opposite of what he had always done in the past.

"Well then that does make things much more...displaced for you. Here sit down by this tree." He had lead them to a gnarly old tree that was threadbare of leaves.

"If you want, I can drive you to a hotel. Unless you also remembered to also grab your car keys?"

The firetrucks had arrived followed by the ambulance. He figured she'd have to get looked at by the medics and answer a million questions about what happened before she would be able to finally find somewhere to hunker down. He checked his watch and hoped that it wouldn't take them into the daylight.

He smiled at her claim that he saved her life. Fifteen minutes earlier he had been ready to walk away while the place burned down if it hadn't been for the crazy old bat that came tearing out hollering about someone living upstairs. That was a detail he'd keep quiet at this point.

"Panos, Panos Mehalitsenos. It's a really old name so if you prefer you can call me Paul. I answer to either. I think the medics are heading your way." He nodded as a man with a tackle box jogged over towards them.

"You let me know what you decide Ms. Nara Baker. If you want I can call a cab for you instead."
Nara Baker 13 years ago
She shook her head at the car issue. She didn't have one. She took public transit or walked everywhere she needed to go. Sitting down, clutching his jacket around her upper body with one hand while holding her beloved picture in the other, she tried to think. "I'll have to get a new id to even be able to get into my money at the bank." Not that there was a fortune in the bank anyway.

"I had to sell the truck that my dad had. I take the shuttle or cabs most places that I can't walk to." She glanced at the medic. "Panos?" She gave him a smile from the soot covered face. "I like it, though I guess Paul would be easier. Panos." She repeated it, liking the individuality of it.

The medic took her vitals and checked her pupils before addressing the glass and cuts. She winced and held back a cry several times as the pieces of shattered window were removed. She was even more pale under the soot by the time he had them cleaned up and bandaged. He looked at Panos, having already gotten Nara's information.

"Will you be able to take care of her?" He had assumed the two were together. He had given Nara an oxygen mask as he worked as her O2 stats were lower than they should be. "Her vitals are getting more regular, but I'd like to have her see a doctor tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Really two of those gashes could use some stitches." Nara had already told him no. She didn't want to go to the hospital. Spending all that time watching her father die, she wasn't fond of them at all. So, he had put butterfly bandages on them.
Catching himself before he made the poor woman feel even worse, Panos inwardly wondered if her birth certificate had gone up in the flames alongside teh ID. She was going to have a hell of a time get either with no identification. It was a easy fix, as he had been getting ID's for centuries now without much in the way of authentification. Panos was unsure about bringing up forgery to Nara so he said nothing.

Nara was really up shits creek without a paddle. The woman had nothing of value left. From the sounds of it, she didn't have much worth any value to begin with. When the medic bagn to speak to him it took him a moment to comprehend. It was obvious that the man thought they were watching their home burn together. He looked from the medic to Nara.

"I'll make sure she's fine." He stated with a nod.

A vocal contract had been established and now Panos was identified as the care taker. Another weird situation.
Really it wasn't up to him what Nara did, he wasn't going to be taking anyone anywhere tomorrow during the daylight hours.

The medic ran over signs and symptoms that would result in immediate attention before packing up his gear and moving on to check other individuals. Panos looked over at Nara.

"This is going to sound weird, but I have a pair of track pants in the back seat of my car. Your welcome to use them. Or you can sport the pantless look since most places only say no shirt no shoes no services. They dont seem to have pants requirments. Up to you."

He turned and pointed down the other end of the street.

"My cars down there. I'll go get it and come back. That'll give you some time to think abotu what you want to do. I wont take offense if you don't want to get into a car with me ok? I'm a stranger, I get that. I'll be back."

Panos waited for her response before he made his way towards his car.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Nara was still befuddled enough not to realize what the EMT had thought until after he had left. She glanced up at Panos with a grateful glance once again. "I hope that won't get you in hot water with someone back home. Not that it would get around anyway. The guy doesn't know me from Adam."

She bit her bottom lip, glad that Panos hadn't added his urgings about her going to the hospital for stitches to the EMT's. She wasn't up to arguing it, and had been on the verge of tears just trying to convince the EMT. He'd noticed and pulled back his efforts, trusting her 'relation' to hopefully convince her after he went to help the others.

She looked up at Panos, and then down at her goose bump covered and newly bandaged legs.
"I'm going to be relying on strangers for a bunch of stuff now, might as well get used to it. And at least I know you have someone to vouch for you. Me. You could have just stayed down here and let me burn. That is enough for me not to be overly concerned about getting in a car with you. And what girl wouldn't like to get into your pants?" She tried to make a weak bit of a joke. She used it to help her not focus on the situation that she was in.

She stood up, her bare toes curling under as she re-situated her hand on his jacket to hold it in place after having allowed the ETM to bandage a few places on her arm, and to take her blood pressure.
"No need to make the round trip. And moving will help keep me warm." She shivered as she moved her heels up and down a bit to keep the circulation going in her legs and feet.
Stuffing his hands in his pockets Panos laughed.

"Nah, no one at home."

It was partly true. He did live alone and Alexandra had her own place that always seemed to have fucking Louis in it. That guy was a putz but he was Alexandra's closest friend (so she said, he couldn't help but wonder just how close) and they had a past together. It still didn't mean Panos liked him any. Alexandra was like the seasons, she came and left and came again. It didn't really bother him all that much. When you lived forever what was a few months or years here and there?

It surprised him that Nara wasn't intimidated of him. Women these days were afraid of anything male, always suspicious of their alterior motives. It was kinda nice that Nara wasn't stubborn or too proud to accept help. He hadn't met a lot of women like that in Nachton. Maybe that was his problem. Nara's joke made his eyebrows jump sky high.

"Did you just barely make it out of a burning building and crack a dirty joke?" HE said feigning shock the best he could. It wasn't but a second before he laughed again.

"I think your going to be just fine Nara. And I'd have to disagree with the pants theory, I've been known to have an award winning personality to drives them astray."

As they neared his midnight blue Challenger, Panos opened the door, pushed the seat forward and grabbed the black cloth track pants. They were going to be big on her but it was better than nothing. Leaning on the frame he held out the pants and hoped the auto starter had warmed up the vehicle enough.

"So where to? The Grand Piazza over on the Strip? It's not really that far from here."
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Nara was relieved that she wasn't keeping him from his family. She gave a bit more real smile at his response to her quip. "I've a thing about making jokes at the weirdest times. Mom used to say it was a defense mechanism of some sort. I'm not a psychologist so haven't a clue."

"I don't know you all that well, but I'd say your actions tonight will make up for a lot of personality issues." Her eyes found his with a warm smile. She meant it. He had made big time points in her book.

She pulled the track pants on and held them out at the waist.
"I look like one of those contestants on the biggest loser. The after version." She was petite and tiny so the pants swamped her but she was instantly warmer than she had been. Still cold, but finally there was something that kept the weather off her bare skin.

Getting into the warm vehicle, she sighed still wrapped in his jacket as she closed the door on her side. Glancing over at him, she bit her bottom lip.
"I don't have access to any funds right now. And everything else..." she glanced at the building that was a total loss. It had been an old building and likely should have been taken out several years previously. Now they wouldn't have to arrange to kick everyone out and bring it down themselves. However, now there were people without a roof over their heads.

"Do you happen to know of a shelter anywhere?" She'd have to live the life of a bum till she figured out how to get to the funds that were in her account.
"Well it works for you."

He couldn't help but laugh as she pulled his waistband out far enough for two people of her size to be in.

"It'll keep you warm and stop people from staring at you needlessly, although not by much.

Panos was sure if he stayed around her long enough, her evaluation of him may be up for review. Hell she could probably call Fallon or Diane and get a whole work up on just how much of an ass he really was and in so many ways. That would be anotehr thing he'd keep to himself.

He walked around to the driver side and got in the car. Curling his lip at her suggestion to go to a shelter he made up his mind before he even realized it.

"You are not going to a shelter. Do you know how filthy those places are. Besides aren't you depressed enough that you don't need to go see the droves of Nachton's homeless families. No, I'm taking you to The Grand Piazza. I'll pay for it and don't worry about it."

As they pulled away from the curb he had a feeling she was going to argue with him.

"Look I know we don't know each other, and there's no reason for you to accept the offer but I can not in my right mind plop you off at an overcrowded shelter. It's winter and they are probably at capacity and then where would you be? It's no sweat off my back I promise."

Hey at least he didn't suggest she come home with him. He wasn't that big of a creep.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
She looked at him. This man she didn't even really know had saved her life and was now going even another step that he didn't have to do. The idea of going to the shelter wasn't thrilling to her, not in the least. It wasn't that, but she already owed such a debt of gratitude to Panos for all he had done. She opened her mouth to argue, but then he continued. She looked forward once again and bit back tears. The emotions of the evening finally hitting with the time having passed to allow the shock to slip away.

He didn't need a crying mass of femininity in the passenger seat. She laid the picture of her parents on her lap and used the back of her hands to wipe away the tears that she wasn't going to allow to fall, away.
"I'll find a way to pay you back. It mi..might take awhile, but I will." She blinked rapidly, trying not to fall into the typical weak female kind of role. But the whole thing was hard to face.

She had thought things were turning around, and now she was set back again. Big time.
"I'm not normally a blubber baby." She managed as more tears slipped past her efforts to keep them at bay, sliding without sound down her cheeks. She wasn't sobbing, no these were just tears without the sniffle snurf of a sobbing woman.